Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
1. Years probably aren't too important on those. All Deluxes were built the same. Have you played one before? The pickups aren't really a traditional strat tone and some don't care for the push button circuit so much. I'd definitely recommend trying one out if you can. That said, it's not a HUGE departure from a Standard and the circuit does give you more options than you'd otherwise have.

2. boo emgs suck

3. Ooh, an '08. That should have the upgraded tuners and bridge plus the satin neck. Gorgeous, too. Still, it's not mint so it probably shouldn't be priced so close to their new price, but I dunno how resale values compare in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
I've not actually played a deluxe, only a standard. Besides the slight departure in tone, is there much of a difference in actual playability? Neck feel etc? I kinda get pissy with the standard strat noisy pickups, so I'm thinking I'll prefer the noiseless design. Pickups can always be changed, of course.

Yeah, I'm less excited about number 2. So I'll squash that from the list.

The 08 is tempting largely because it looks hot and is new, but I have also heard that there's a few improvements in the 08 line over previous years. Are they really that substantial that it's likely to hold value better than a 2001 deluxe though? It's fairly close to its new price yes as new price for a standard here is >$1750, but often over $2000 if you don't shop around enough. I do rather like the colour on this one from the photos but haven't seen in person. What I do know is the metallic red colour on the 2001 deluxe is nice in person.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

2. boo emgs suck

Agreed.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Why do EMGs suck?

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
Just got this baby today

I fell in love with it and had to have it. A year later it's finally here.

About a year ago, I posted my grandfather's 1950 J45 which I saved from his basement. My father and I had it restored for him for his birthday and I finally got around to doing the "after" shots. It plays and sounds amazing.

Before

After

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

Yeah Steve's shows are always pretty low energy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-7Cysj_Uks

MR DAVE WEINER ON GUITAR

arthur138
May 26, 2003
I'm thinking of trading in my DigiDelay towards an Analog Delay pedal and stumbled across the Biyang AD-8 on ebay and elsewhere. Has anyone had any experience with these? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the MXR Carbon Copy?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SuicideSnowman posted:

Why do EMGs suck?

They aren't as dynamic a pickup as a passive pickup. They have no glass or chime they have scratchiness. They have no body, they have boxiness. Really fans of EMG are just fans because they are active pickups and for some reason these people are of the type that believe the more poo poo you do to your signal path the better it sounds. I'm pretty sure they just added the active circuitry just to try and make up for shoddy pups, but you can't polish poo poo.

here come the :flame:

arthur138 posted:

I'm thinking of trading in my DigiDelay towards an Analog Delay pedal and stumbled across the Biyang AD-8 on ebay and elsewhere. Has anyone had any experience with these? Or should I just bite the bullet and get the MXR Carbon Copy?

They're not really analog, they use a digital chip instead of BBD. They can still do the funky analog oscillation thing though. I'd save up for something like a Memory Man (the hazarai one is good too, but digital), Echo Park is very good for an all in one box (minor noise), the TC Nova Delay is amazing, and the wampler analog echo is also phenomenal.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 8, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

GrAviTy84 posted:

here come the :flame:

I've heard one Strat that sounded good with EMG's, but it didn't sound like a Strat. Otherwise I agree with you regarding single coils, but EMG81's are still good.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Really fans of EMG are just fans because they are active pickups and for some reason these people are of the type that believe the more poo poo you do to your signal path the better it sounds. I'm pretty sure they just added the active circuitry just to try and make up for shoddy pups, but you can't polish poo poo.

I know the guys at sevenstring.org love them. Is it just a metalhead thing? Are there any good active pickups?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
EDIT: Maybe it's the Petrucci Forum? Ultimate Guitar?

I know some forum I post on likes them a lot...

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 8, 2009

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I know the guys at sevenstring.org love them. Is it just a metalhead thing? Are there any good active pickups?

Guys at ss.org pretty much like SD Blackouts now for actives and BKPs for passives. I agree with them too.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Carbohydrates posted:

Jazzmaster, 60's spec (or as close as my budget will allow)

Looking forward to seeing more :)

I got a Jaguar myself last week, my first electric since getting my old Squier 5 years ago.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Oh, and to be relevant for once, this will be with me in a week or two:

GLC
Feb 21, 2001

warwick5s posted:

I've heard one Strat that sounded good with EMG's, but it didn't sound like a Strat. Otherwise I agree with you regarding single coils, but EMG81's are still good.

The thing about EMGs is that when you put EMGs in a guitar, it makes it sound like it has EMGs in it. It's not necessarily a good or bad sound (I happen to like the sound of EMGs for some things, especially the SA single-coils), but it's very specific and it seems to homogenize a lot of the differences between guitars. Depending on your particular guitar, this may or may not be a bad thing.

They're great for performing live, though, for the same reasons that any active pickup is great live. Low noise, ability to drive a ridiculously long signal path, consistency, etc.

I guess it just depends on what you like, but some of my favorite guitar tones are from guys using EMGs, so who knows.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

They aren't as dynamic a pickup as a passive pickup. They have no glass or chime they have scratchiness. They have no body, they have boxiness. Really fans of EMG are just fans because they are active pickups and for some reason these people are of the type that believe the more poo poo you do to your signal path the better it sounds. I'm pretty sure they just added the active circuitry just to try and make up for shoddy pups, but you can't polish poo poo.

Sounds like somebody tried to play an 81 clean

The SAs are nice pickups but but they make everything sound like 80s Pink Floyd :shobon:

edit: and what the hell here's this since it might be some use to Vanmani

EMG SA then Fender SCN

also I'm pretty sure an '01 Deluxe won't have S1 switching

Chows fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 8, 2009

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Hey thanks for that Chows. The EMG's really sing there, and to my ears the SCN's sound very, very stratty.

And yeah, I think S-1 switching is only more recent.

I'm kind of leaning more towards the 08 standard now, partly because the 01 deluxe listing ended... but we'll see if he re-lists it for a cheaper price.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I know the guys at sevenstring.org love them.

There's something about the EMG 707s that makes them sound different compared to all other EMGs; they sound alot more organic. Usually, I'm no fan of EMGs (they don't sound bad, they just...sound like EMGs), but my 8-string guitar has an EMG-808 and it sounds awesome.

Typically, though, I mod any EMG circuit I have for 18V functionality. Better headroom and more present dynamics.

SD Blackouts are loving awesome, though. Easily the best active pickups I've ever heard. Anyone that hasn't tried them really should, especially if they are in the market for active pickups. They are pretty loving hot, though, so they may not be what you want if you want to bust out some cool, mellow jazz licks or whatever.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Chows posted:

Sounds like somebody tried to play an 81 clean

The SAs are nice pickups but but they make everything sound like 80s Pink Floyd :shobon:

edit: and what the hell here's this since it might be some use to Vanmani

EMG SA then Fender SCN

also I'm pretty sure an '01 Deluxe won't have S1 switching

It sounds a lot more compressed and flat than your average Strat->tube amp tone. Not in a bad way, just really different.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
Do you happen to be in Sydney, Vanmaci? There are some good used guitar stores around (as in 'vintage' type stores, not 'pawn store' stores).

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Blackheart Handsome Devil 112 combo amp, switchable between 7 watts and 15 watts.

My previous amp was a 15 watt Line 6 Spyder III, and it worked when I was still figuring out how my guitar made noise. Once I started to play actual music, though, it just wasn't cutting it for the kinds of sounds I wanted. I sold it to a friend of mine who's just starting out on guitar, and I'm upgrading to this. It'll arrive at my dorm on monday, the same day I get back to college. I'm unbelievably excited; I finally get to hear what the p90s in my electric can actually produce, tone-wise.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

lechunnel posted:

Do you happen to be in Sydney, Vanmaci? There are some good used guitar stores around (as in 'vintage' type stores, not 'pawn store' stores).

Nah, Hobart. There's a (one) second hand music shop here that I know of, but last I looked they didn't have anything suitable. I don't wanna spend $3000 on a beat up 70s strat when I could just spend $1600 on a brand new one and get the colour/neck I want.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?

Vanmani posted:

Nah, Hobart. There's a (one) second hand music shop here that I know of, but last I looked they didn't have anything suitable. I don't wanna spend $3000 on a beat up 70s strat when I could just spend $1600 on a brand new one and get the colour/neck I want.

I'd say you should probably check out some more second hand shops if you can. You can pick up a guitar that's 5 or 10 years old, and has therefore aged already (vs. buying a new guitar that ages and what you end up getting isn't what you bought), and costs the same as a new guitar or even less. Though it really does depend on what shops are around.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Coca Koala posted:

Blackheart Handsome Devil 112 combo amp, switchable between 7 watts and 15 watts.

My previous amp was a 15 watt Line 6 Spyder III, and it worked when I was still figuring out how my guitar made noise. Once I started to play actual music, though, it just wasn't cutting it for the kinds of sounds I wanted. I sold it to a friend of mine who's just starting out on guitar, and I'm upgrading to this. It'll arrive at my dorm on monday, the same day I get back to college. I'm unbelievably excited; I finally get to hear what the p90s in my electric can actually produce, tone-wise.

Let me know what you think of that amp, as I was looking at it last fall, but couldn't justify it quite yet. It's definitely time for an amp upgrade (rocktron R50 lol) but just not quite sure what to go with.

Oh, and

Huh. Just now recognized I am a Korg whore. All this will be played along with my R3.
Oh, well. I'm excited for the nano stuff. Another week or two!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Yeah bitches look what I ordered today straight from the horses mouth:

The Source Audio Hot Hand MIDI-EXP with wireless controller. I didn't even realize these were in production yet.

Hooked up to that newfangled MIDI Jaguar I'm building this poo poo just got somewhat more real.

Edit: Pics from http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/hothand/midi_exp.php

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 8, 2009

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

SD Blackouts are loving awesome, though. Easily the best active pickups I've ever heard. Anyone that hasn't tried them really should, especially if they are in the market for active pickups. They are pretty loving hot, though, so they may not be what you want if you want to bust out some cool, mellow jazz licks or whatever.

The new blackouts have a jumper on the back to switch to a lower gain mode, they sound a lot more like a traditional PAF-style humbucker. I have a single Blackout wired to a 5-way selector for high-output/medium output/mute.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

not much, but hey, im broke v:shobon:v

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Can start recording stuff soon. Hopefully.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Handen posted:

I got excited so I put together a diagram of the sort of live rig I'm putting together:

Maybe somebody can help me out here:

That diagram supposes that I run the dry magnetic and acoustiphonic guitar signals straight through the signal chain into the amplifier. Ideally, I'd want to run every signal into the Macbook (to be able to modulate any effect with the MIDI-EXP pedal) via some sort of portable (FireWire) I/O audio/MIDI interface all in one with NEXT TO NO LATENCY. I have a Tascam FW-1082 audio/MIDI interface (1ms latency woo!) that would no doubt be PERFECT for this application if it were only slightly more portable.

Can anyone tell me about hardware specific to what I'm looking for with regards to what I just mentioned? Thanks. :guitar:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 8, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Handen posted:

I got excited so I put together a diagram of the sort of live rig I'm putting together:

:pwn: you're crazy

If you want a really high quality, small interface and you're just going to be using it for line-outs to the PA, would something like an Apogee Duet work?

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Handen posted:

madness

Jesus Christ! What type of music do you plan on playing with that setup? I'm simultaneously frightened and intrigued. I'm sure any music that comes out of that beautiful jag you've been putting together will sound like angels loving.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

warwick5s posted:

:pwn: you're crazy

If you want a really high quality, small interface and you're just going to be using it for line-outs to the PA, would something like an Apogee Duet work?

Mmmm... I don't think so. I need at least three line in/outs and a MIDI in/out. Two ins/outs for the magnetic pickup out and acoustiphonic piezo out, MIDI in for the Hot Hand MIDI-EXP, and another line out to output the sounds of the MIDI instruments/events in Ableton/Logic/MaxMSP (so it's gotta be FireWire) that I'll be controlling through the Axon AX-50/MIDI-EXP in combo. A sort of all-in-one hub would be great.

For now, in my basement, the Tascam FW-1082 I've got should perform all of those tasks, with the possible exception of line outs (I think the only outs are for the stereo monitors.) Confused yet? The kicker is that I have no experience with any of this and I'm sort of running on intuition as to whether or not this is doable, and I'll be learning my rear end off on the fly with help from some friends.

In the future I'm going to look into using the Jaguar in sync with the Axon AX-50 to convert 13 to 5pin MIDI and use it to control hardware synths, the Hot Hand MIDI-EXP to modify onboard parameters and run from there. Is this all possible? I don't know. I sure hope so.

I'd like to get in touch with a certain bassist who uses an onboard Roland GK pickup on his Fender bass with a full band. He was doing some grimey synth bass stuff that sounded really great. They're local to Nelson, BC (IIRC) and I've seen them play at Shambhala for the last two years, but for the life of me I can't remember the band's name. The Hellandbacks I think? But I can't find any info about them. I'm a member of the Shambhala forums so I'll be asking around pretty soon, I'm sure his knowledge would be invaluable to me.

himajinga posted:

Jesus Christ! What type of music do you plan on playing with that setup? I'm simultaneously frightened and intrigued. I'm sure any music that comes out of that beautiful jag you've been putting together will sound like angels loving.

This video sums up the sample triggering type stuff I wanna do:

Daft Guitar Hero

As for the general sound of what I'd like to accomplish, it's farther from rock and way closer to DnB and breaks type stuff:

DJ Quest - Make It Real
Krafty Kuts & DJ Icey - Thru The Door

But at the same time, I know my main instrument is guitar and I'm not overlooking that in the slightest. Apart from triggering samples and modulating filter parameters, I still have a magnetic pickup which I can and will be using to play guitar parts overtop of MIDI events, sort of like in this video when it breaks down into a bluesy type guitar thing at 2:35, except for me I'm more into stoner rock, so think hot riffs like Queens of the Stone Age, Orange Goblin, Clutch, Kyuss, Masters of Reality etc etc.

However: This is all just an idea at this point. Whether or not it's feasible the way I've devised is yet to be seen, and I'm looking for as much help as I can get to make it real. I've got a friend who's way more adept at Ableton Live than I and he's incredibly interested in helping me out, and I know his help would be a much needed asset, but he moved to Montreal and I'm stuck in Butthole, Alberta. I'm also still considering the advantages or disadvantages between a drum machine and a real drummer. Drum machine pros: Never drinks so much it can't play. Cons: No intuition, gotta program that poo poo. Drummer pros: All the programming is already done. Cons: Not a lot of drummers that I know are into drum'n'bass, breakbeats or electronic music in general and might hate the steady *kick-snare-kick-snare* aspect. But I'd really like some Orange Goblin-esque breakdowns so I'm leaning towards an actual drummer.

So I don't know what I want to do. I'm working 40+ hours/week in a lovely factory making the money I need to afford this, and then the plan was to save up the rest and go back to school. At that point I'll have no more expendable income and I'll be stuck with what I've got so I need to figure out my setup pretty quick. I left school because I was tired of art, and was told there'd be an audio engineering program in a year. Two years later there's no program, but I hear whispers that my University was granted $1m to start the program, so I'll be going back to talk to my old recording studio professors to see if there's anything they can do for me if that's the case.

If not, I'll save up the $20,000 I'll make between now and September and move to either Montreal or Melbourne AUS in order to break a scene if what I've got is enough to get along. My dream is to play in front of crowds all messed up on drugs. The crowds, though, mostly. I don't get the sort of intensity I want from rock shows, and I wanna translate it to a different sort of energy and maybe reach my own Shambhala. That's the most in-depth response I can give you at the moment. :)

Also, there are two types of people I've been trying to explain this to: Those who understand what I'm getting on about and those who sort of nod their head and go "Uh huh... I just play guitar man, back off!" And I get the same response from everyone. "You're loving crazy." Except the first group of people know it's a good type of crazy, the productive type of crazy, and the latter group just call me crazy and go back to sniffing glue for inspiration. On a recent trip Calgary to purchase some recording gear, I had an in-depth discussion about this exact subject with the assistant manager of one music retailer, and at the end of it he offered me a job on the basis that, from what I told him, he could see I'm on the edge of what's going on right now. I had to decline, though. He couldn't match my wage or offer me a place to live, and Calgary is poo poo. No offense to a certain Calgarian I know who posts here ;)

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 8, 2009

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Stux posted:

Oh, and to be relevant for once, this will be with me in a week or two:

Scratch that, its now this and in a few days :swoon:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Handen posted:

Mmmm... I don't think so. I need at least three line in/outs and a MIDI in/out. Two ins/outs for the magnetic pickup out and acoustiphonic piezo out, MIDI in for the Hot Hand MIDI-EXP, and another line out to output the sounds of the MIDI instruments/events in Ableton/Logic/MaxMSP (so it's gotta be FireWire) that I'll be controlling through the Axon AX-50/MIDI-EXP in combo. A sort of all-in-one hub would be great.

Motu Ultralite Mk3 would rule for you then. 8 analog ins, ten outs, MIDI, bus powered, small.

And yes, you are the good kind of crazy. But you're loving crazy.

edit: Oh poo poo, my Stambaugh will be here next week. :ohdear:

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 9, 2009

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Stux posted:

Scratch that, its now this and in a few days :swoon:

I have the D-5, welcome to the party! (even though you one upped me, but at least you didn't one lower me, I would be pissed than)

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Handen posted:

That diagram supposes that I run the dry magnetic and acoustiphonic guitar signals straight through the signal chain into the amplifier. Ideally, I'd want to run every signal into the Macbook (to be able to modulate any effect with the MIDI-EXP pedal) via some sort of portable (FireWire) I/O audio/MIDI interface all in one with NEXT TO NO LATENCY. I have a Tascam FW-1082 audio/MIDI interface (1ms latency woo!) that would no doubt be PERFECT for this application if it were only slightly more portable.

Can anyone tell me about hardware specific to what I'm looking for with regards to what I just mentioned? Thanks. :guitar:

Any FW audio interface which has enough line-in's and configurable outs should do this fine. My Alesis IO26 can be configured to send the signal from whichever channel in (or ins) to whichever out (or outs) or any imaginable combinations thereof, and has 8 ins and 8 outs to play with. I'm a little confused by your diagram though, surely you'd want to run the sounds that're processed through your laptop into a PA, and only the normal dry guitar signal into the guitar amp... Personally I would step away from that even, use a VST amp sim (GR3, Amplitube whatever you prefer) for your guitar tone and run everything into a PA and piss off the massive heavy bastard Ampeg amp altogether. This way you can use the MIDI pedals and the MIDI ring controller to control whatever parameters/effects VSTs/whatever you like on your guitar signal as well as the MIDI guitar signal, although you'd need to be able to switch the controllers from one to another in some easy fashion, but that's not much of a hurdle if you have a MIDI foot-controller with plenty of options like the FCB1010 or similar.

The IO26 (or whatever) is no more portable than your Tascam, so if you can do it on that I don't see why you wouldn't... it's less than a foot by half a foot and not very heavy yeah? Not the end of the world to be carting around... and since you don't have to cart that Ampeg around anymore you're totally happy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Demolisher posted:

I have the D-5, welcome to the party! (even though you one upped me, but at least you didn't one lower me, I would be pissed than)

How heavy is it? Also I could one lower you if I wanted :3:

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Stux posted:

How heavy is it? Also I could one lower you if I wanted :3:

its as heavy as you make it kind sir. the heaviness comes from within. it made it to G for my generic deathcore band on 130's:smug:(floppily nonetheless, but thats something that has never bugged me) and I have a 150 coming in for F#(will probably go bigger gauge though) the stock pickups are loving amazing and surprised the poo poo out of me. Lotta punch and growl, its metal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Demolisher posted:

its as heavy as you make it kind sir. the heaviness comes from within. it made it to G for my generic deathcore band on 130's:smug:(floppily nonetheless, but thats something that has never bugged me) and I have a 150 coming in for F#(will probably go bigger gauge though) the stock pickups are loving amazing and surprised the poo poo out of me. Lotta punch and growl, its metal.

I meant heavy in weight (I heard that that Merbau wood they use for the wings is dense as gently caress) but thats good to hear as well :v: Good to hear the pickups are nice at stock too. Any idea what gauge strings came with yours?

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Stux posted:

I meant heavy in weight (I heard that that Merbau wood they use for the wings is dense as gently caress) but thats good to hear as well :v: Good to hear the pickups are nice at stock too. Any idea what gauge strings came with yours?

Its on of the heaviest basses i've played. gauge string im not sure, but I dont use stock strings on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Finally...USA made goodness...Fender standard strat 50th anniversary, ash body :dance:

Got it used for a steal, already had a bunch of upgraded stuff, duncan Pups, staggered tuners, and it is set up like a dream. Excited as hell to play this thing. versatile versatile, love it...