Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:doh: How did I miss that? Thanks again, nmfree.

Here's my next stupid question: how much SW programming is live? Obviously the ones with call-in segments are, but what about news/music programs from non-US countries? The reason I ask is I'm probably hosting this year's New Year's Eve shin-dig, and I thought it might be cool (read: incredibly geeky) to have the SW running in the garage (a.k.a. the smoking lounge), ringing in the New Year as it hits different time zones.
I didn't really have an answer to this before, but thanks to Monitoring Times, now I do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!
Add me to the financial drain list as well!

Just went to Radio Shack and bought a Grundig G6 (Buzz Aldrin edition, haha), $100!

Haven't found jack on it yet. I think I probably have to build some sort of DIY external antenna.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
Well last weekend on 5230kHz USB picked up a numbers station, lots of fun, my first numbers station I've heard since I was a kid.

The other fun thing about this transmission is that at the same time it was been jammed.

It seems that it could of been the MOSSAD station, which considering recent occurrences could be a connection.

Also finally sat my advanced exam so now have a full call for ham radio :)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

There's some neat stuff archived at http://www.davidgleason.com/Radio_Archives.htm , including some back issues of magazines and pictures of some "Border Blaster" transmitters.

Reasonable Man
Sep 11, 2001

smithereens got 'em scaling heights
I just picked up the Grundig G6 Buzz Aldrin Edition (like the guy three posts up) and am eager to do some serious listening. I wonder if anyone can give me some tips, because I get the feeling by the complete lack of anything listenable that I'm doing something wrong.

I live in Southwestern Ontario in a fair sized town in its "downtown" area (not huge). I live at the top of an apartment building, there are not really many other similarly tall buildings around. There's probably tons of interference in my house from TVs, computers, wifi, wireless telephone, etc, but is my balcony any kind of safe refuge from this stuff? It's too cold to go out there right now, but I will probably bundle up and venture out tomorrow morning.

I also live minutes walking distance from a large lake (Lake Ontario). If I went to the beach and sat on some rocks with the SW, would reception be any better?

Having just explained my situation, can anyone offer any suggestions of stuff I shouldn't have a hard time listening to (aside from psycho religious rambling)? Particularly interested in Number Stations... straight out of the box I tried listening into the Cherry Ripe number station in Guam based on the schedule listed on it's Wikipedia entry, but I am probably delusional in thinking I can pick that up.

Also, which type of home made antenna would work best? Or I notice the G6 has a hole in the side for a commercial one, what would be best suited for this?

Thanks in advance, I'm very excited about this and not going to let this current setback keep me down!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Sorrow of sorrows, my E5 went tits up this week. I'm going to see if I can get it repaired/refurbed by eton, but I'm not holding my breath.

Soooo, this morning I went to Radio Shack and picked up a G6 "Buzz Aldrin Edition." Here are my overall first impressions:

I can already tell the raw RF sensitivity isn't quite as good as the E5. It still gets decent reception, though. I haven't managed to pick up anything on the aeronautical band yet. Also, this thing is just dinky. Doesn't quite have the heft and solidity of the E5. Also, Eton, when the gently caress are you going to start including smart charger circuitry in your re-charging radios?

I do love the fact that it pretty much does everything the E5 does in a smaller package. However, the busy button layout is totally different from the E5, and is counter-intuitive in the same areas, but in different ways. I think it'll probably have a bit of a learning curve, just like the E5.

The speaker sounds good, and I like the fact that it has a bass boost (which was absent on the E5). Not a big difference out of the speaker, but more of a deal on headphones on FM music stations. FM reception is tasty. I've been getting a good strong signal of WWV, so I'm not too worried about SW reception. I have yet to really put it through its paces on MW/LW/SSB or aeronautical. I plan to spend a good long time tonight after the sun goes down getting familiar with it and getting some DXing done. I'm surprised it doesn't have a DX/Local switch. I'm wondering if the Mega Bass switch doubles, as the music/news switch did on the E5.

One feature I far prefer over the E5 is the backlight on the display. I'm exceptionally pleased that this has a red backlight instead of the blue/white on the E5. I use SW while doing amateur astronomy activities (primarily using time interval stations for predicting satellite flyovers to the second, since I don't have to look at my watch that way), and red light doesn't gently caress up night vision. The keys aren't backlit, though, which is a bit of a detractor.

Anyhoo, I'll be posting more performance-related details after I put it through its paces. Overall, however, I'm pretty impressed.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

A few fuller thoughts on the performance of the G6:

SW reception is decent, but seems to be a smidge more susceptible to local interference than the E5. Almost all I could hear was the relatively nearby Radio Disney transmitter. Because of this, I wasn't really able to put the SSB through its paces. Apart from interference, reception on WWV and Radio Havana were decent. I think its about time I finally build a magnetic loop to filter out the local garbage. I'll be going a ways out of town next week, so I'll be able to test the SW and SSB a bit better.

While I really like the red backlighting on the display, I really wish the keys were backlit. I like to listen to SW in a darkened room (lightbulbs can cause interference, and the dark makes SW spookier), and I didn't realize how much I relied on an illuminated keypad until I no longer had it. Once I'm familiar with the button layout and how all the keys work, I'll have less problems.

ALL of the G6 reviews I've read talk about how much local interference makes aeronautical tuning impossible. I found this to be totally incorrect, at least in my case. Tuning through aeronautical band takes a shitload of patience and luck to actually find anything, i got my cleanest signals of all picking up pilot communications. Ironic, eh?

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
if anyone is listinging , i'm getting an numbers station on 8995 khz in phoenix az. its hard to make it out, but i have a crappy antenna.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

Robert E. Lee posted:

if anyone is listinging , i'm getting an numbers station on 8995 khz in phoenix az. its hard to make it out, but i have a crappy antenna.

I'm down in Tucson with my little Grundig G6 and I'm not picking anything up.

Man, I really wish I had a better antenna...:(

Anyone have any suggestions? AstroZamboni, if you experiment with anything, please share because I haven't been able to pick up anything on my SW other than a Mexican broadcast from Oakland, CA (which is pretty cool, but that's all I've been able to find).

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Just ordered a G6 from Amazon for the purpose of finding weird propaganda and such. I can always do with more recordings of insane speeches.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
it cut off at 20:00 local. i've never heard it before, it was a female voice spouting off alpha hotel foxtroc ect, no exit music or end of message notice of any kind.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Robert E. Lee posted:

it cut off at 20:00 local. i've never heard it before, it was a female voice spouting off alpha hotel foxtroc ect, no exit music or end of message notice of any kind.

I think this might have been a SkyKing message, not a true number station, since the frequency is pretty close to a heavily used SkyKing frequency.

However, it could have conceivably been E10, the mossad station.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Robert E. Lee posted:

Sounds like you may have heard a US military Emergency Action Message. I've heard them too. They are usually sent by live person and not an electronic voice like a numbers station. The ones I've heard came from Andrews Air Force Base, as they said, "Andrews out" at the end. That's some pretty cool stuff right there.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope

Illegal Clown posted:

Sounds like you may have heard a US military Emergency Action Message. I've heard them too. They are usually sent by live person and not an electronic voice like a numbers station. The ones I've heard came from Andrews Air Force Base, as they said, "Andrews out" at the end. That's some pretty cool stuff right there.

Yeah, you could tell it was not a recording, so your most likely right. That makes it the coolest thing I've heard so far

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

AstroZamboni posted:

ALL of the G6 reviews I've read talk about how much local interference makes aeronautical tuning impossible. I found this to be totally incorrect, at least in my case. Tuning through aeronautical band takes a shitload of patience and luck to actually find anything, i got my cleanest signals of all picking up pilot communications. Ironic, eh?

I live about 4 miles from a small international airport (PHF), which is part of the reason I picked the G6. Unfortunately, I haven't picked up squat. It's a shame there's no seek function for that band.

[EDIT] So after posting this I decided to give it another go. And there's PHF approach, clear as a bell. You're right, AstroZamboni, those are good signals.

And wow, whole lotta G6's up in here all of a sudden.

One goofy trick I just did for mine: I found a set of TV rabbit ears at the thrift store for 95 cents. Alligator clip the coax out from the TV antenna to your G6 whip, and voila --- much better dx listening! It actually pulls in too much for closer listening (Cuba, the big Christian stations out of Florida, etc), but it makes a huge difference clarifying signals from Europe/Middle East for me. I like 'em for the fact that they fold up and don't weigh a thing, so it's easy to carry around the house --- I'm not stuck in one room as I am with the outside antenna.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 3, 2009

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

All this talk of not getting anything listenable reminds me - is anyone else finding propagation lovely at the moment? I don't seem to have been able to pick up diddly squat this past week or two other than CNR stations, and it would take Armageddon itself to drown those out.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The best bit about listening the US Military HF system is hearing the insane multipath on them. You're receiving signals from every single station in the system. They all receive and retransmit. So you get a wonderful echo effect.

I'm going to have to use a SkyKing message in one of my musical projects, using number stations is so overdone :)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

thehustler posted:

I'm going to have to use a SkyKing message in one of my musical projects, using number stations is so overdone :)

I like to use Canada's UTC clock (3330) for a nice 60/120 bpm when playing live. :)

Are SkyKing broadcasts pretty random, as far catching something? How often do they broadcast? I found Zamboni's big list of freq's on page 21; but are some freq's more consistent than others, and does each freq correspond to a certain airbase? I'm dying to hear one.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

I live about 4 miles from a small international airport (PHF), which is part of the reason I picked the G6. Unfortunately, I haven't picked up squat. It's a shame there's no seek function for that band.

[EDIT] So after posting this I decided to give it another go. And there's PHF approach, clear as a bell. You're right, AstroZamboni, those are good signals.
Don't know if I already posted this in the thread (I think I did, but a long time ago), https://www.airnav.com is where I go to get air band frequencies.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Are SkyKing broadcasts pretty random, as far catching something? How often do they broadcast? I found Zamboni's big list of freq's on page 21; but are some freq's more consistent than others, and does each freq correspond to a certain airbase? I'm dying to hear one.

I haven't heard any in a while, but haven't been listening much either. There were a few days last summer when I found one that would transmit every hour for a few minutes for at least two or three hours. I'm not an expert on them, but I'd say find where and when they are reported and try again at that time the next day or maybe an hour later.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Further thoughts about the G6:

I finally found the interference on the aircraft band, and picked up "Masterpiece Theater" perfectly clear. Very odd.

I DID wind up buying a new radio right when propagation conditions have been absolutely terrible. So it ISN'T entirely that the radio is less sensitive than the E5. It is, however, more susceptible to local interference, so you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be throwing together a magnetic loop sooner rather than later.

At first, the single knob and having to constantly switch back and forth between rough and fine tuning in SSB mode drove me Cookoo Bananas. I longed to have my E5's fine tuning knob. That is, until I actually figured out how it works and a huge loving smile erupted all over my face. The "slow tune" mode in SSB not only tunes between the LSB and the USB of a given frequency (like the E5's fine tune knob), but if you just keep turning it while in slow mode, it will go from the USB of one frequency up to the LSB of the next, without having to go back into 1 khz increments. This removes a couple of steps when tuning SSB, and I loving love it. Now that I'm getting used to the single multi-speed tuning wheel, I love it to pieces. I just wish it was side-mounted like on the e5, however the E5's wheel had a tendency to fall off occasionally, which is less likely to happen with the G6' flush wheel. I just tend to think the e5's wheel was a tad more ergonomic. The e5's sound quality was better on SSB, but the ease of tuning MORE than makes up for that little sacrifice.

G6 as opposed to E5: Pros & Cons

Pros:
Small size
Awesome price (big pro)
Aeronautical band (huge pro)
Much better SSB tuning system (huge pro)
Red backlight doesn't harm night vision. (big pro for me)
Bass boost

Cons:
Still no smart charger circuitry, but the E5 had this problem too (small con)
Slightly less raw RF sensitivity (small con)
No backlighting on the keypad (biggest con)
1 less programmable alarm slot (almost inconsequential)
More susceptible to interference
Slightly reduced audio quality on SSB

Overall, I'm very happy with the G6. Definitely a keeper.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

Don't know if I already posted this in the thread (I think I did, but a long time ago), https://www.airnav.com is where I go to get air band frequencies.

HOLY poo poo. This rocks. THANK YOU.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Its official: The E5/G5 has gone the way of the Dodo in Eton/Grundig's product line. To replace it, they brought out this beast at CES:

http://etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=916030
http://etoncorp.com/upload/contents/307/G3.pdf

The G3 looks identical to the G5, except it has a few more features:

RDS for station/song info on FM (cool if you listen to FM a lot, otherwise yawn)
Synchronous Detector with Selectable SSB (WOOP WOOP! Elevates the SSB capabilities of the G5 up to those of the E1)
Aeronautical Band

Okay, jesus loving christ. I JUST got the G6, and then they come out with this. True, it isn't technically out yet, and they don't have a price listed, but since it is pretty much a direct G5 replacement, it'll probably be 150 bucks. This thing could be the end-all and be-all of small portable SW receivers.

Also, I'm looking into getting my E5 refurbed. I think having both the E5 and G6 to complement eachother will be nice.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

Its official: The E5/G5 has gone the way of the Dodo in Eton/Grundig's product line. To replace it, they brought out this beast at CES:

http://etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=916030
http://etoncorp.com/upload/contents/307/G3.pdf

The G3 looks identical to the G5, except it has a few more features:

RDS for station/song info on FM (cool if you listen to FM a lot, otherwise yawn)
Synchronous Detector with Selectable SSB (WOOP WOOP! Elevates the SSB capabilities of the G5 up to those of the E1)
Aeronautical Band

Okay, jesus loving christ. I JUST got the G6, and then they come out with this. True, it isn't technically out yet, and they don't have a price listed, but since it is pretty much a direct G5 replacement, it'll probably be 150 bucks. This thing could be the end-all and be-all of small portable SW receivers.

Also, I'm looking into getting my E5 refurbed. I think having both the E5 and G6 to complement eachother will be nice.

Son of a bitch. I just bought my G6 too :(. Man, that sucks.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AstroZamboni posted:

Oh, oh hot drat. I was actually just thinking of moving up from my G5 to an E1 just for that. This could save me a whole chunk of cash. Is there any price announcement on it yet? Or expected date for it to be available?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Apparently, it still has to be approved by the FCC (according to universal radio). I think this is one of the things eton debuted at CES this year.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AstroZamboni posted:

Apparently, it still has to be approved by the FCC (according to universal radio). I think this is one of the things eton debuted at CES this year.

drat, we'll see what happens come tax return time then, I may just end up shelling out for that E1. Or maybe something bigger :) I haven't spent any money in a long time, just been cruising along with the old E5 and the Eavesdropper antenna.

Also, I can't believe it's been a year and a half since I posted in this thread that I bought my first radio. This is one long running GBS thread! Astro, when you first made this sucker, did you think it would go on and on forever?

(edit): by the way, Spanish numbers lady on 5883 right now (11:10 Pacific) for anyone looking at the thread, she's right on time

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 8, 2009

Beary Mancrush
Jun 9, 2002

Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them.
My active antenna showed up today. Not much better. I think my neighbors have some kind of heater that's making an awful buzz.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

E2M1 posted:

by the way, Spanish numbers lady on 5883 right now (11:10 Pacific) for anyone looking at the thread, she's right on time

My favorite thing about that, at least this time of the year, is that the numbers transmission begins right at the end of Radio Havana's broadcast day.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

E2M1 posted:

drat, we'll see what happens come tax return time then, I may just end up shelling out for that E1. Or maybe something bigger :) I haven't spent any money in a long time, just been cruising along with the old E5 and the Eavesdropper antenna.

Also, I can't believe it's been a year and a half since I posted in this thread that I bought my first radio. This is one long running GBS thread! Astro, when you first made this sucker, did you think it would go on and on forever?

(edit): by the way, Spanish numbers lady on 5883 right now (11:10 Pacific) for anyone looking at the thread, she's right on time

On the first point, you might actually be better off with the G3. The E1 has better selectivity, but the E5/G5 had the edge in raw sensitivity over the E1. Now the upgrade of the G5 will have the same selectivity of the E1 PLUS aircraft band. Honestly, that would be a much better way to go since the E1 doesn't even have an internal ferrite rod antenna.

As for point #2, I wouldn't have believed in a million years my thread would be one of the most long-lived threads in GBS.

I also picked up the Spanish lady last night on that broadcast, at exactly the same time no less. I was just randomly scanning when I picked her up.

I've discovered that when plugged into a good long wire, the G6 is every bit as sensitive as the E5, and the Radio Disney interference isn't as pronounced. YAY! SSB signals sound better, too.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AstroZamboni posted:

On the first point, you might actually be better off with the G3. The E1 has better selectivity, but the E5/G5 had the edge in raw sensitivity over the E1. Now the upgrade of the G5 will have the same selectivity of the E1 PLUS aircraft band. Honestly, that would be a much better way to go since the E1 doesn't even have an internal ferrite rod antenna.

Hmm, guess I'll just wait on the G3 then. Or spring for a true tabletop system. I don't really care about the internal antenna since I'm always hooked up to my long-line these days or at least the AN-LP1, but there's no reason to drop that much money on the E1 if what's coming out soon is actually better and (probably) cheaper.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Welp, I sent off an e-mail to Act electronics in NV to see about having my E5 repaired. They're a third party that does out-of-warranty repair work for Eton/Grundig. While I was at it, I asked if they're able to replace the white LED back lighting in the E5 with red LEDs.

I'm still waiting to hear back.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

AstroZamboni posted:

Welp, I sent off an e-mail to Act electronics in NV to see about having my E5 repaired. They're a third party that does out-of-warranty repair work for Eton/Grundig. While I was at it, I asked if they're able to replace the white LED back lighting in the E5 with red LEDs.

I'm still waiting to hear back.

Keep us updated about the LED thing. I'd love if I could get red LED backlighting for when I take my G5 up into the mountains.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Accursed posted:

Keep us updated about the LED thing. I'd love if I could get red LED backlighting for when I take my G5 up into the mountains.

I'll keep updating through the whole process.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0103/1230842388623.html

quote:

When pirates ceased to rule the airwaves

New Year's Eve 1988 marked the end of one of the more fascinating and turbulent periods in Irish broadcasting, writes Patsy McGarry

SOME 20 years ago, at about this time of year, Irish radio became altogether less colourful when an estimated 70 pirate stations went off air voluntarily.

New Year's Eve 1988 marked the end of one of the more fascinating and turbulent periods in Irish broadcasting.

It is a period fondly remembered by many established names of TV and radio today.

The then Independent Radio and Television Commission had invited applications for broadcast licences but stipulated that anyone on air illegally after December 31st, 1988, would forfeit any chance of securing one.

Illegal broadcasting in the State went back to the 1940s at least, when there was a radio station called "Killeen Road Home Service" in Dublin's Santry. By the 1960s there was Radio Galaxy and Radio Dublin. By 1970, ARD was broadcasting from Cabra, remaining on air until 1980.

Big D broadcast from Chapel Lane off Parnell St in 1980/81 and Southside Radio, based at the Victor Hotel in Dún Laoghaire, was on air from 1979 to 1981.

Radio Leinster, based near Lamb Doyle's in Sandyford Co Dublin, closed in 1983 after two years, in anticipation of long-promised legislation allowing for independent broadcasting in Ireland. Other Dublin stations then included Capital, Radio City which lasted from 1979 to 1982, and TTTR, the city's only specialist (country) music station, which went on air in 1981.

Outside the capital one of the bigger pirate stations was Radio Carousel in Dundalk, on air since 1979. In Cork, both ERI and South Coast Radio were very successful. In fact, there was hardly an urban area in Ireland without its own pirate station.

Midnight on New Year's Eve 1988 also meant an end to the sole surviving "super-pirate" in Dublin - Sunshine Radio. It had been on air since 1980 when it was set up by Robbie Robinson and Chris Carey. Both had worked on Radio Caroline, the pirate station which in the 1960s broke the monopoly in British broadcasting. Caroline was started by Dubliner Ronan O'Rahilly.

A reported "sabotage attack" on Sunshine's aerial - causing £5,000 worth of damage - prompted Chris Carey and Phil Solomon, both among the station's major financiers, to pull out. But Robbie Robinson carried on. Purpose-built studios were soon ready in Portakabins behind the Sands Hotel and the standard of broadcasting set a template for all other pirates throughout the State.

A major breakthrough came in November 1980 when Aer Lingus decided to advertise with it. The station's unexpected success meant Chris Carey had a rethink and was soon back in Dublin setting up "clutter-free'' Radio Nova. He brought in a powerful FM transmitter and nothing was ever the same in Irish broadcasting after that.

Advertisers loved the "no chat, greatest hits" formula. And RTÉ got mad. They began to jam Nova and Sunshine, now also on FM as Sunshine 101.

In November 1982 the new Fine Gael-Labour coalition promised a crackdown on the pirates under pressure from unions at RTÉ. On May 18th, 1983, Sunshine's broadcasting equipment was seized. Similarly, Nova was put off the air, which brought Robinson and Carey together again as they mounted a hugely successful popular campaign with thousands of young people protesting on the streets of Dublin. Soon both stations were back on air to survive further jamming by RTÉ.

It was much the same following raids on other pirates stations across the State.

At Nova there followed a bitter dispute with the NUJ which helped bring about its closure in 1986. Sunshine continued to broadcast right up to December 31st, 1988, and was widely expected to get a licence the following year. It didn't. Carey also applied for a licence and was not successful either.

Later, in the UK, he devised decoders to unscramble satellite television stations and sold them for a small fortune. He was arrested in 1996 and got a four-year sentence. Four months later he walked out of his open prison and fled to New Zealand but was tracked down and received an additional 15-month sentence for absconding. In July 2000, at 53, he had a stroke from which he recovered. He has since died.

Failing to get a licence in 1989, Robinson went to live in Lanzarote with his wife Stella, where they remain today.

Patsy McGarry was head of news at Sunshine Radio from 1983-1987

Memories of pirate radio

ANNE CASSIN (RTÉ)

I was very low down the food chain when I worked as a researcher for the early morning news service in the early 1980s on Radio Nova. I was paid £100 a week.

Preparing the news, of course, involved the shabby practice of taping RTÉ Radio 1's early morning bulletins, re-jigging them, and handing them to Bob . It was plagiarising of course, and I had sporadic bouts of guilt about the practice, but hey, this was Ireland in the 1980s and there were no jobs.

The fact that I was working on an illegal radio station, a pirate, never troubled me - in fact it was thrilling to be part of something that was taking on the establishment and winning. My big broadcasting break came when I filled in for newsreader Sybil Fennell who had slept it out! I was awful.

AIDAN COONEY (TV3)

I was lucky enough to work for both Nova and Sunshine. Some of my fondest memories as a pirate come from the days spent in the Portakabins where Sunshine Radio flew its Jolly Roger.

The term "good old days" comes readily to mind, but I think it was more the fact that we were young, free and single and willing to work long hours in an exciting new industry. We never dared believe that one day we might be working for companies or corporations that might have an actual licence to broadcast.

BRYAN DOBSON (RTÉ)

Let me be absolutely honest and admit that, while I had two hugely enjoyable years in Radio Nova and that it was an experience which changed the course of my life, I couldn't get out of the place quick enough. Nova was a great radio station that produced some great broadcasting and outstanding broadcasters . . . Most important of all it demonstrated a public demand for an alternative to RTÉ.

But while I loved radio and loved working in Nova, I hated being a "pirate". I could see no future for illegal broadcasting.

We had already been closed down once by the government and it could happen again.

I am glad I escaped the world of pirate radio when I did. But I am also proud that I had the good fortune to begin my career in one of the best radio stations ever to take to the Irish airwaves.

Compiled by Patsy McGarry

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
RTÉ were allowed to jam pirate signals? What the gently caress?

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA
So I've been trolling Craigslist frequently to see if there are any shortwaves. This one has popped up for $40:

The description simply says it's a Realistic brand receiver, but I don't know enough about them to place what model. Is this a decent model/price? Thanks in advance.
edit: That picture was with the listing; I haven't gone and bought it.

Beary Mancrush
Jun 9, 2002

Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them.
There's a few radio shack coupon codes in effect right now that will help save you some cash on a new radio. They're offering free shipping right now on orders over $75.

20STUFF09 - Get $20 off anything more than $200 on the Radio Shack website.
SHIPMYSTUFF09 - Get free shipping on anything over $45.

edit: Oh god, just dropped $379 on a PRO-197 scanner.

Beary Mancrush fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 10, 2009

Beary Mancrush
Jun 9, 2002

nm: Quote is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Fredrick posted:

So I've been trolling Craigslist frequently to see if there are any shortwaves. This one has popped up for $40:

The description simply says it's a Realistic brand receiver, but I don't know enough about them to place what model. Is this a decent model/price? Thanks in advance.
edit: That picture was with the listing; I haven't gone and bought it.

This looks like it might be your fella --- the DX-150:

http://www.rigpix.com/rs-realistic/realistic_dx150.htm

There's a few variants, though; the 160 also kinda looks like that. Here's what looks to be a handy guide for ID'ing old Realistic models (though thumbnails of the pix would've been nice):

http://www.rigpix.com/rs-realistic/rs-realistic.htm

Unfortunately, I have no idea if that's a good model/price. But hopefully the ID might help further research...?

• Locked thread