Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Has anyone tried out Nebula yet? It's supposed to be sort of a sampler for hardware responses, so you can use it to sample and subsequently model authentic hardware gear (like compressors, tape machines, and so on).

It's getting quite a lot of positive reviews over on miscellaneous other sites, but I was just wondering if anyone here used it already?

You can get a free version on their clusterfuck of a website to play around with. Also, Nebula2 seems to be identical to Nebula3 apart from the GUI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Holy poo poo that KORG stuff is $250? Aw....

breaks
May 12, 2001

Lowness 72 posted:

See, I picked up the Korg DS-10, which is basically a version of an old KORG synthesizer for the Nintendo DS. I know gently caress-all about making electronic music, but I LOVE using this thing.

However, it's definitely limited as it's just a DS. Is there anything like this, but on the computer? Preferably cheap.

What exactly is KORG DS? Is it a DAW?

There is no Korg DS. DS-10 is a synthesizer, a simple step sequencer, and a little mixer and effects section all wrapped up into a DS cart. The synthesizer portion is based on the Korg MS-10 hardware synthesizer. The rest of it was created just for the DS-10 product. You can get similar functionality with other software but nothing works exactly the same way.

Anyway, on the PC you want to look at Fruity Loops. It is somewhat similar and it's offered in several versions at different pricepoints, starting at around fifty bucks. There is also a demo available.

Don't worry about the pricing of hardware stuff if you want to work with software. Hardware is much more expensive. MS-10s are not made anymore but they cost around $750 used, and the DS-10 cart is equivalent to 6 of them (more or less, there are many differences between the real MS-10 and the synth in the DS-10, which is more powerful in some ways and less so in others).

breaks fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 4, 2009

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Thanks alot for the recommendation. I'm d/ling FL demo now. I looked at Audacity but it seems a little too complex for me at the moment. I wanted an all in one package that could just make music from scratch, which I don't think Audacity can do.

And yes, I'd like to avoid purchasing hardware until I can actually use cheap software correctly.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

It is the DS version of the Korg MS-20, wich again is a software version of the Korg MS-10

edit: I'll add that the MS-20 has, in my opinion, THE best software filters around, bar none.

Actually the MS-10 and MS-20 were both physical synths from Korg, Korg just redid the MS-20 in their legacy collection VST's because it's so legendary. The MS-20's filter in real life has been famous for longer than VST's have been around!

A real MS-20 will cost you a pretty penny though. The MS-10 is a fair bit cheaper and less desirable. Either way both are quite expensive and limited in scope for someone starting out and needing versatility.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Lowness 72 posted:

Thanks alot for the recommendation. I'm d/ling FL demo now. I looked at Audacity but it seems a little too complex for me at the moment.
Audacity is not like FL Studio, so it helps if you don't look at it like that.

What it does in its most basic function is cut pieces of sounds to size. Imagine you're in a room with a drum kit and you've got a microphone going to a computer with Audacity. You hit record in Audacity.

Then you walk over to the drum kit and hit every drum once, waiting for the sound to die off.

You then hit the stop button in Audacity and you see a blue line with occasional bursts. Each burst is you hitting the drum. If I want to put these sounds in FL Studio, I can just cut pieces out of it and save them separately as kick01.wav, kick02.wav, and so on. It's very useful already just because it does that.

quote:

I wanted an all in one package that could just make music from scratch, which I don't think Audacity can do.
You're right, but Audacity will still come in handy.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Lowness 72 posted:

I wanted an all in one package that could just make music from scratch, which I don't think Audacity can do.

Just don't get too attached to stock sounds and pre-settings. Some of the sounds that come with FL are cool, but IMO you really want to be making your own sounds/hits/snares/claps/whatever. You can download sample packs and sometimes that's cool, but there's nothing quite as rewarding as creating music with all original recordings of samples. I've been building a library for a couple years now of all original sound designs (some are standard samples from like an 808 process in unique ways) and it just feels better when you're writing tunes because you know that nobody else will have these sounds.

Audacity (read: Wave Editors) will play a huge role in sound design, so it's good to have both. Edit your samples exactly how you want in Audacity, then drop them into FL for sequencing.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
As far as making sounds from scratch - you need a synth to do that right? Does FL have that capability?
I.E. (sorry to make this comparison again but...) on KORG-DS you start with a keyboard/sequencer and then alter the sound using various filters and stuff. Of course, the cart comes with a bunch of predefined sounds, but I'm trying to make my own now.

Is that something FL can do?

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Lowness 72 posted:

Is that something FL can do?

You can. It has some built in synthesizers that you can use to create sounds. Also, taking regular old drum hits and mangling them/effecting them in the millions of ways you can. Using a mic to record odd sounds, layering them, to make new sounds. It's definitely possible.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
If you get a 1/8th inch to 1/8th inch cable, you can plug one end into the DS and the other into your computer and record things from the DS-10. Use that with whatever DAW you choose and you gain a lot of flexibility that the DS-10 alone doesn't give you (different effects on different tracks, more than just three effects, more automation control, etc).

However, I wouldn't just stop using the DS-10 as soon as you get your hands on something else. Learning how to get the most out of it will help you in big ways with synths, especially when it comes to learning how to get the sounds you want. Just like you, I picked up the DS-10 not really knowing how it worked or anything like that. I picked it up as an inexpensive way to find out if I really wanted to get into the whole music thing, and found that it's a fantastic way to learn the basics of synthesis. Just don't immediately write it off as limited when you're still learning what's up, it's got a lot of potential that's hard to find when you're still basically twisting knobs.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ya all those knobs on the synth are confusing. I checked out some video tutorials made by the company but was still somewhat in the dark. I'm going to give it some time though.

Also, the patch cable option - :aaaaa:
No clue what that's really doing.

alan negative
Aug 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Lowness 72 posted:

Ya all those knobs on the synth are confusing. I checked out some video tutorials made by the company but was still somewhat in the dark. I'm going to give it some time though.

Connect your DS's headphone port to your computer's line in for extra fun :)

edit: crrrap i've been beaten. why didn't i see that?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Lowness 72 posted:

Nowadays you mostly think of synthesizers as being "hardwired," that is, having a fixed signal path, but in the days of the old Moog modular systems it was necessary to connect all of these different modules - filter, oscillator, LFO, etc. - together with patch cables, allowing a great degree of flexibility in signal flow. The MS-20 is a "semi-modular" synth which means that it is not necessary to use patch cables, though as you become more familiar with analog synthesis they will provide many interesting options for you to explore.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
The patch screen also lets you set up some really basic automation. For example, draw a line from the sawtooth wave to the VCA. Turn the VCA knob all the way down. Now set the time knob on the left to BPM and turn it all the way down too. Hit play. Congratulations, you now have an 8-measure fade-in effect.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I tried making some DnB for the first time last night. Any comments or ideas on what I'm doing right and wrong would be appreciated.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/55998/bumbandbass11.mp3

Especially this: what effects can I do to make a synth more interesting? My library of knowledge stops at, "put distortion on it, filter it, chorus/delays/reverbs". At the moment it sounds very dry to me and I'm not sure if thats a problem that can be fixed with extra processing or if its better to just go back and create a new synth sound.

e: an attempt at fixing it

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/55998/bumbandbassmix2.mp3

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 8, 2009

evilocity
Jul 6, 2004

a simple trap in a dark corner of the mind, and their nightmares catch up with them

Halo posted:

You can. It has some built in synthesizers that you can use to create sounds. Also, taking regular old drum hits and mangling them/effecting them in the millions of ways you can. Using a mic to record odd sounds, layering them, to make new sounds. It's definitely possible.

To elaborate on this, the latest FL actually includes a facility for designing synths from the ground up (choose your osc, choose how to modulate it, intentionally miswire poo poo because it sounds rad, ect...) called FL Synthmaker, based on a VST creation system of the same name. At this point, if you can think it, you can probably make FL do it, either natively, or with VST plugins.

Also, lowness, at least for my mindset (minimal music and synth background, unrealistically high expectations of software) Ableton was the best all-in-one system I could fathom. I can record, slice, layer, add effects, master, and export to wave all inside of ableton, all intuitively, all with multicore support and and efficient base software so my system can focus on doing what I tell it rather than powering the DAW itself.

I find myself verbally selling it a lot, but that's because I really do think it's just that good.

Anyone know of a good standalone replacement, hardware or software, for the 303 filter? I thought about trying to extrapolate a schematic for one from the x0xb0x plans, but is that feasible? My electronics knowledge is poo poo, but it seems to me there should be an identifiable portion of the schematic where sound goes in to the filter section, and another where it comes out sounding loving awesome. I should be able to isolate that section and use it to make a pedal reasonably easy (couple week project), non?

evilocity fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 8, 2009

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Three Red Lights posted:

I tried making some DnB for the first time last night. Any comments or ideas on what I'm doing right and wrong would be appreciated.

Especially this: what effects can I do to make a synth more interesting? My library of knowledge stops at, "put distortion on it, filter it, chorus/delays/reverbs". At the moment it sounds very dry to me and I'm not sure if thats a problem that can be fixed with extra processing or if its better to just go back and create a new synth sound.

Hmm I think I like the first one better.

This is a nice little groove you've got going on, but a couple of suggestions:

1. Go easier on the effects. One of the keys to a good DnB track is the rhythm should be really tight and well-defined. The spaces between the notes are as important as the notes themselves. Use delay and reverb very sparingly and tactically. Remember that whenever you add an effect, you almost always do so at the expense of some other detail of your mix -- you either give up a little bit of definition or punch or dynamic range, or crowd out some other instrument a bit.

2. Similarly, your kick needs way more presence. Especially with a sound like DnB, the kick is the foundation of the track, it's the steel beams and cinderblocks that hold everything else together. With no kick there's no groove, and with no groove there's no track. There's a few things you can do to give your kick more presence, like sidechain compression and EQ (and by EQ, think more in terms of cutting frequencies on other tracks, rather than cranking them up on the kick channel). Also one of the most important things you can do to insure a good mix is to have a good monitoring setup, and audition your track on a variety of systems, especially small/cheap ones (the first time I listened to your track was on laptop speakers and I literally couldn't hear the kick at all).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

evilocity posted:

I find myself verbally selling it a lot, but that's because I really do think it's just that good.

I try not to do that, because it's still a big purchase. I'll repeat myself; I just absolutely love that I can envision something and that Live will do it pretty much exactly the way I imagined it would. I think I had to open the manual 3 times or so for now. It translates my idea into reality with the least hassle, which is what an instrument should do.

quote:

Anyone know of a good standalone replacement, hardware or software, for the 303 filter?
The FutureRetro Revolution has an audio input, so has the Syntecno Teebee (no longer made, hard to get). http://www.emusic-diy.org/Schematics/Oakley/SuperLadderFilter?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=super.gif has some schematics and while I know the 303 has a wonky design for a diode ladder filter I don't know how close that'll get you.

quote:

and another where it comes out sounding loving awesome.
Well, and there's where the mystery of the 303 is going to bite you in the rear end.

The sequencer plays a role; notes not only glide in the same time regardless of frequency distance, but firing up two notes in succession with accent on will also do weird things to the filter response; it's not just simple, repetetive boosting, you get some kind of weird accumulating effect. If you only build the filter I don't know if there's a lot of awesome waiting for you, since it's about the machine as a whole. The squarewave has a ridiculous shape.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

evilocity posted:

Anyone know of a good standalone replacement, hardware or software, for the 303 filter? I thought about trying to extrapolate a schematic for one from the x0xb0x plans, but is that feasible?

big problem with copyin the XoXBoX is that it uses some rare rear end parts.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Three Red Lights posted:

It sounds like a great build up, but I keep expecting a awesome drop to come in with some serious bass :rock:

todd_777
Dec 31, 2008

Three Red Lights posted:

I really enjoyed this. Sounds more like some vintage Squarepusherish IDM than straight up drum and bass, but that's not a bad thing -- The attention to detail in your arrangement is great.

As others have save, it seems to be lacking a bit of bottom end.

I like the main, overarching synth groove. It grabs you and pulls you in through sheer repetition and the interesting way it syncopates with the rest of the stuff in the track. There's a bit where some modulation kicks in on it very abruptly, and due to the hypnotic repetition it has going, I think a nice gradual crossfade between these 2 states would be nicer.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Three Red Lights posted:

Especially this: what effects can I do to make a synth more interesting?

Depends. Which one are you using?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yoozer posted:

Depends. Which one are you using?

Reason and Thor mainly

I tried changing the mix a bit but I tend to work by making samples using reasons synths, sending them to Ableton and chopping out the bits I like. Which tends to make it difficult to go back if I want to change a part becasue I've forgotten what I was doing in Reason originally to get it.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/55998/bumbandbassmixiii.mp3

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 9, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
In Subtractor, see what you can do by routing velocity to volume/filter cutoff. If you don't play everything equally loud, you can give nice dynamic effects using the Matrix sequencer or arpeggiator.

Use the Matrix sequencer to make the pitch blip between octaves or fifths.

In Thor, explore all oscillator models - just see what besides Analog, Wavetable and FM can do for you. Especially FM benefits from modulating pitch/fm amount using envelopes (which are then again multiplied by velocity, giving a dynamic, expressive sound).

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Zaxxon posted:

big problem with copyin the XoXBoX is that it uses some rare rear end parts.

Not really, I self sourced one for about $30 less than the kit costs. Unless you are incredibly anal and require the vintage Roland op-ap that you would literally have to scavenge from an old Roland synth, all of the rarer parts can be found easily either on the x0xb0x build forums or on ebay. I think the cost in total for the rares is about $75-80, with about $200 or so in common parts, then the board and ROM from ladyada are another $50.

For the original question, it'd probably make more sense just to build a x0xb0x and mod a line in to the filter. You'd get a bonus 303 out of it as well.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Made a bit of a b-more song (that is to say, I sampled Think (About It)). Just wanted some commentary on the general production (kicks layered alright?) and if there's enough general excitement in the track.

da keebsta knicca
Sep 12, 2000

Oh Ruutu, you are such a card.
I bought a Vestax VCI-100, and a Numark DJIO pretty cheap barely used off some guy on craigslist. Anyways I wanted to practice previewing tracks in Traktor on my macbook or my home computer in my bedroom.

On the macbook I would just like the master to be laptop speakers then the headphones coming through the numark, this seems impossible?

For the home computer, I wanted the same I have a Creative X-FI sound card. But I have Vista 64bit so the drivers aren't supported. Hip hip hooray. Is there away to get traktor to send sound to my rear speakers port as the monitor sound for my headphones or anything like that? Is this all impossible? I could have drivers installed for the on board sound card also if that would help any.

I don't want to have to hook up my laptop to my home stereo downstairs every time I want to mess around and practice. This seems kind of goofy and like a simple thing, but then I guess the process was designed before computers where brought around everywhere.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

da keebsta knicca posted:

I bought a Vestax VCI-100, and a Numark DJIO pretty cheap barely used off some guy on craigslist. Anyways I wanted to practice previewing tracks in Traktor on my macbook or my home computer in my bedroom.

On the macbook I would just like the master to be laptop speakers then the headphones coming through the numark, this seems impossible?

Traktor is designed to only use a single audio device, so you cannot use the onboard laptop sound and the DJIO simultaneously. Your best bet (for portability) might be to get some cheap (preferably powered) computer/ipod-type speakers, plug those into one channel of the DJIO, and monitor through the headphones on the other DJIO channel.

h_double fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 9, 2009

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

IanTheM posted:

Made a bit of a b-more song (that is to say, I sampled Think (About It)). Just wanted some commentary on the general production (kicks layered alright?) and if there's enough general excitement in the track.

All these comments are to be taken with a grain of salt, since I don't know much about the genre you're doing:
- First thing I noticed is that every kick sounds different to the one before that. If I'm not mistaken, it sounds like you have a really high-pitched hihat in the background. Personally, I wouldn't do it, because it just becomes one of those things you can't unhear once you've noticed it. The simplest solution is to just remove that hihat.

3 bars into the song you start with a new element. You should probably wait until 4 bars before you introduce anything new unless it's something to indicate that the next part is about to start.
7 bars into the song you introduce another element, which should be introduced at bar 8.
1 bar after that you introduce the clap which is fine there, except it sounds unnatural now since both synths that you had were introduced too early. So if you fix those, this should be fine.
4 bars after that you take away all the previous elements. Just leave them in there instead.
I'm afraid I don't have more time right now, but try fixing those things to start off with and take it from there.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

IanTheM posted:

The woo's and yeh sound really generic and annoying.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Fists Up posted:

The woo's and yeh sound really generic and annoying.

They're part of the break.. it's a rather famous and heavily used break though.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

hows it sound on your setup?

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

da keebsta knicca posted:

For the home computer, I wanted the same I have a Creative X-FI sound card. But I have Vista 64bit so the drivers aren't supported. Hip hip hooray. Is there away to get traktor to send sound to my rear speakers port as the monitor sound for my headphones or anything like that? Is this all impossible? I could have drivers installed for the on board sound card also if that would help any.

I don't want to have to hook up my laptop to my home stereo downstairs every time I want to mess around and practice. This seems kind of goofy and like a simple thing, but then I guess the process was designed before computers where brought around everywhere.

On the Mac you should be able to create an aggregate audio device containing the internal soundcard and the external soundcard allowing you to use them both at the same time in Traktor. I don't own a Mac so I can't tell you how to do it but hopefully someone here does, or have a poke around on Google.

As for the second I have no idea what the problem is beyond some kind of Creative thing. Without knowing anything about the X-Fi if you enabled on board sound you could plug the IO into your main PC and use something like Asio4All to make the Windows equivalent of an aggregate device letting you monitor through either on board or the IO.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

IanTheM posted:

the first time you drop the think break, it sounds way thin and not as driving as it probably should. Your kicks don't help. the second drop about 2 thirds through the song where you make the second "WHOOO" come in a little earlier is WAAAAAAAAAAY better. maybe you might wanna have something like that be your actual drop, cuz as it stands now, there's really no tension. you gotta tease it, and then drop in to the think break with the 4 on the floor kicks.

So the pieces are alright, but the overall structure could use some work. I think cutting and varying the break a little bit will help you out, too.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 8, 2014

da keebsta knicca
Sep 12, 2000

Oh Ruutu, you are such a card.

BunnyX posted:

On the Mac you should be able to create an aggregate audio device containing the internal soundcard and the external soundcard allowing you to use them both at the same time in Traktor. I don't own a Mac so I can't tell you how to do it but hopefully someone here does, or have a poke around on Google.

As for the second I have no idea what the problem is beyond some kind of Creative thing. Without knowing anything about the X-Fi if you enabled on board sound you could plug the IO into your main PC and use something like Asio4All to make the Windows equivalent of an aggregate device letting you monitor through either on board or the IO.

Thanks I downloaded Asio4All, I will just have to try and figure out how to use it. Creative has its own Asio solution that is automatically used in Traktor. Asio4all worked to make sound come out the speakers still, but just have to figure out the settings and what not for making the aggregated sound card. I was just having trouble searching up a solution on google, i was finding all sorts of other un-related things.

Other solution is I guess hooking up my extra Onkyo amp with the DJIO, or getting RCA --> headphone jack, but it was just more a space thing I have a small bedroom.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Goofing off trying to make club music. It's still in progress, and don't be scared by the title :) I think I'll probably change the bassline and add some more synths later tonight.

todd_777
Dec 31, 2008
Here's a dirty little electro ditty I'm a few hours into that I'd appreciate feedback on.

http://www.toddproctordesign.com/music/wwp.m4a

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I just started a new song in FL Studio (I haven't given up on learning Ableton, but eh) and I have a chronic problem with not finishing songs. Therefore, I will not work on any other electronic music until this song is complete. It doesn't matter if it comes out all that well or not, but I need to actually finish something.

Incidentally, I just learned how to sidechain in FL, and I'm getting pretty adept with synth1, so that's going well.

edit:

stun runner posted:

Goofing off trying to make club music. It's still in progress, and don't be scared by the title :) I think I'll probably change the bassline and add some more synths later tonight.

I don't listen to much club music (read: none), so it could just be the genre, but some sort of melody or harmonic structure somewhere in here would help it be somewhat interesting. In terms of production, though, it sounds pretty good to my novice ears, and the drums are pretty solid, if a bit generic sounding.

todd_777 posted:

Here's a dirty little electro ditty I'm a few hours into that I'd appreciate feedback on.

This is pretty cool, I like whatever sample of the guy talking you were using throughout. I think that the mix in general could use a little more clarity, perhaps, because it seemed like it had a *little* too much bass in the EQ, but otherwise that sounds pretty solid. And, again, I could be way off, any advice I give comes with a grain of salt :v:

wlokos fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

todd_777
Dec 31, 2008

wlokos posted:

This is pretty cool, I like whatever sample of the guy talking you were using throughout. I think that the mix in general could use a little more clarity, perhaps, because it seemed like it had a *little* too much bass in the EQ, but otherwise that sounds pretty solid. And, again, I could be way off, any advice I give comes with a grain of salt :v:

Thanks, listening to it again this morning, you're right about the bass. That's what I get for doing mixdowns after a bottle of wine I guess.

• Locked thread