Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cheer Up is the one they hated, then they told fans that We're Not Happy will be more ska and for the kids and it's really great. Then they hated We're Not Happy, but don't worry kids, the next album's gonna be super ska yay ska oi oi oi. Now they probably hate Monkey For Nothing.

I know I do. It's terrible.

Wish they'd admit that Cheer Up was a good album, and that instead of hating how the record company treated them, they REALLY just didn't like having to actually invest time into their songwriting and production, so all of their new music consists of pale vanilla retreads of their songs from the 90s.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I know I do. It's terrible.

It was awful because before it came out they were raving about leaving their label and how it would let them do their own thing again and make an awesome album and then it wasn't very good :(

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
We're Not Happy is their best album; Cannibal is the only track on Monkeys that comes anywhere resembling close-to-the-quality of anything on We're Not Happy.

The snippets of the new album sound a lot better than Monkeys, at least.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm surprised there's not more love for Why Do They Rock So Hard? That's my favorite album of theirs

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I think all of their albums are good v:shobon:v

I like RBF because even when they make generic songs, you know that just want to have fun and isn't that really what ska is all about? I thought Monkeys wasn't that great of an album but it's apparent that they were starting to have more fun again and I'm cool with that :unsmith:

Party Down and Everybody's Drunk are evidence of this I think, especially the Party Down video.

Then again though, those two songs, Cannibal, and the re-makes from Everything Sucks were the only good songs on the album :geno:

linkage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IDjaDpw_gs
(look closely and you can see an Aquabats patch on Aaron's suit jacket. He's a cadet :iamafag: )

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 7, 2009

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I like RBF because even when they make generic songs, you know that just want to have fun and isn't that really what ska is all about? I thought Monkeys wasn't that great of an album but it's apparent that they were starting to have more fun again and I'm cool with that :unsmith:

That's the main reason I love Reel Big Fish. They all seem to love what they're doing no matter what they do.

That and Aaron's voice is like crack to me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

guppy posted:

I'm surprised there's not more love for Why Do They Rock So Hard? That's my favorite album of theirs
That's a great album too, from top to bottom.

The problem for me is that with We're Not Happy they tried too hard to recreate WDTRSH, and Monkeys For Nothing tried too hard to be like Turn the Radio Off. But they're not as original or inspired. I'd like to see them try something new, like they did with Cheer Up. They keep walking backwards and that's frustrating to me as a listener.

Maybe that's a perspective that's abstracted from what ska is about but I'm just disappointed in the direction that they've gone.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

mix.lunar posted:

That's the main reason I love Reel Big Fish. They all seem to love what they're doing no matter what they do.

Last I saw them, some time mid last year, they had barely any energy. They did all of their schtick alright, but they - Aaron mainly, I guess, since he's the main guy to interect with everything else, crowd, other bandmates - had gently caress all energy. It was a real let down.

We're not happy was a pretty great break away, sylistically, but most of the songs are still uninspired, regardless.

Monkeys for nothing is b-sides, so I never expected it to be that great. Sure enough, I've listened to it the whole way through, maybe once or twice.

They'll probably just continue the trend of 3-6 listenable songs per album until they give up. And hey, Cheer Up was pretty rockin.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Reel Big Fish were selling their new album at the show last friday

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Scott's part at the end of The Set-up is one of my favorite things in an RBF song

That one also had Scott's a Dork which is the first RBF song I heard

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

lessthankyle posted:

Oddly enough, as I opened this thread, "Till I Hit The Ground" from "Monkeys for nothing..." came on during the Fiesta Bowl.

I noticed that too. I had to look to see if it was some cover or something first.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Plug time!

http://myspace.com/endive

These guys actually have music on iTunes, and as of this April you'll be able to get that DRM free/convert the DRM files if you buy it now

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Although I generally cant stand ska, I found "kiss your rear end goodbye" by the Blue Meanies in a stack of my old LPs this week, and that album still rocks. Ive listened to it like 4 times since I dusted it off.

Blue Meanies are the poo poo, I wish I still had their stuff. It's up on Amazon Music, I might have to pick it up again...

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005
Has anyone been to a show on the current RBF/Streetlight tour that can give me an idea of the setlist? I'm definitely going to Cleveland next wednesday, and I want to go to Cinci the day after that (I'm in Columbus which is pretty much in the middle of the two) but it'll depend on the setlist since I have class both thursday and friday. Actually I really want to go to both and I'm just trying to find a way to justify it to myself.

HavveK
Aug 3, 2008

not a dinosaur posted:

Blue Meanies are the poo poo, I wish I still had their stuff. It's up on Amazon Music, I might have to pick it up again...

They are among my all time favorite bands. I first heard them through my sister and hated them. All it took was to see them live and I was hooked. It was insane how tight they were live. I really hope 2009 brings another Blue Meanies reunion.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just wanted to mention that The Action's album Exploding Radio is now on eMusic (I think iTunes as well but I don't buy from that). It's pretty good, I guess technically it's not a debut because they used to go by a different name but it's a pretty polished album, on the level of something put out by Taj Motel Trio.

I know they were plugged earlier in the thread but I don't think their album was available on the internet at the time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It wasn't, their stuff as Skatos is CD-only. I'll have to resubscribe to emusic for a month and grab it.

(It was me, I plugged them, they think I'm in 4point0)

EDIT This just in Exploding Radio is also on iTunes. Reason it's ust online is it just came out a week or so ago.

If you ever get a chance to hear their old stuff, like Waiting For Tuesday, grab it. It's great.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 9, 2009

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

Holy gently caress. I just found a video of the Pogues +Lynval Golding +Joe Strummer playing Message To You Rudy. It loving rules.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7QL_PDC5XM&feature=related

Urgghghghh I wish I had been born a decade earlier.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Holy gently caress. I just found a video of the Pogues +Lynval Golding +Joe Strummer playing Message To You Rudy. It loving rules.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7QL_PDC5XM&feature=related

Urgghghghh I wish I had been born a decade earlier.

This rules so hard.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

By the by, The Action is only the second time I've heard a ska band use a muted trumpet to good effect. Why is that? Using a mute on the trumpet gives it a lot more range and personality, but until now I've only really heard the Mad Caddies use it effectively. Unless you want to count those fringe swing bands like Cherry Poppin Daddies that had one or two ska songs in their discography.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Because they're just that good

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

z16bitsega posted:

Has anyone been to a show on the current RBF/Streetlight tour that can give me an idea of the setlist? I'm definitely going to Cleveland next wednesday, and I want to go to Cinci the day after that (I'm in Columbus which is pretty much in the middle of the two) but it'll depend on the setlist since I have class both thursday and friday. Actually I really want to go to both and I'm just trying to find a way to justify it to myself.

Seconding this, I'm going to the one in Royal Oak and I'd love to know more about the setlist.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Stoop Kid posted:

Seconding this, I'm going to the one in Royal Oak and I'd love to know more about the setlist.

I went to the Phoenix show, can't remember everything but Streetlight played mostly stuff from the newer album, just Here's to Life, Failing, and A Better Place, A Better Time from Everything Went Numb, I think, and Keasbey Nights. I think they played We Will Fall Together, Mephisto's Cafe, Watch it Crash, Forty Days, and Somewhere in the Between, but all of it I am not sure about, since it was about a week ago.

Reel Big Fish played a few songs from their as-yet-unreleased album, obviously the crowd favorites like She Has a Girlfriend and Beer. Also...uh...Trendy, Somebody Hates Me, She's Famous Now, Another F.U. Song, You Don't Know, plus some more that I can't remember. I had to leave before the encore so I'm not sure what they played there besides their Take On Me (also they covered Kiss Me Deadly). Not as sure about that, but it seemed like a decent set.

I actually enjoyed the first opening band, One Pin Short, too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hopefully since Streetlight is headlining the show I'm going to they'll play more, with more older songs

huntersan
Oct 25, 2007

The future is bulletproof. The aftermath is secondary.
streetlight played mostly new stuff when I saw them on saturday. they played the favorites like point/counterpoint, keasby nights, and everything goes numb, but the new songs definetly dominated the playlist.

I was looking forward to Reel Big Fish playing the setup, (its my favorite song of thiers and scotty's part at the end is AWSOME!) but they didnt play it :( they still rocked hard though.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Stoop Kid posted:

I'll be the one in the BOTAR blazer. Should be a great show, neither band has disappointed yet.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Rugikiki posted:

I'll be the one in the BOTAR blazer. Should be a great show, neither band has disappointed yet.

I'll say Hi if I see you! I'm probably gonna wear my lime-green Nofx shirt

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Amazon MP3 is now listing the new Reel Big Fish album, with a release date of January 20.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The new album isn't bad. There's enough solid tracks to make it worth listening to. But it's also not particularly good, either

MetallicBlueAx
Mar 30, 2007
:: Everything is perspective ::
:: Perspective is everything ::
Who ended up going to the RBF/Streetlight/Tip the Van show in Royal Oak, MI last night? The band I'm in, Monkey Jacket, opened. It was awesome, and my first time seeing any of those bands live. An awesome experience.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

MetallicBlueAx posted:

Who ended up going to the RBF/Streetlight/Tip the Van show in Royal Oak, MI last night? The band I'm in, Monkey Jacket, opened. It was awesome, and my first time seeing any of those bands live. An awesome experience.

Are you the drummer out of sheer curiosity?

alvinthegreat
Feb 23, 2008
Hey, it's been a few months since I've last stopped by here, but if there are any bay area ska goons in here you should come check out my ska band, the Street Vendors, at La Peņa in Berkeley on February 6th. We're playing with the Uptones and HECTIC and there's a dance contest with a $500 cash prize. Come skank it up, goon-style!

MetallicBlueAx
Mar 30, 2007
Nope I am the guitarist/singer! Do you know our drummer?

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

MetallicBlueAx posted:

Nope I am the guitarist/singer! Do you know our drummer?

Nah, but I am friends with a friend of your bassist (who actually got us tickets to the show!). Small world right?

MetallicBlueAx
Mar 30, 2007
Haha yes, that's awesome. That was a loving fun show.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Huh, are they getting a local band to open before Tip the Van with every show?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
No, they didn't have a local opener for Atlanta so it's not every show.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Josh Wow I'm going to try to convince 4point0 to do that show you guys are doing in Syracuse this spring

I won't be there but I'll bribe someone to get me merch

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
That'd be sweet, I'm pretty sure we haven't played with those guys before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I know for a fact you haven't, they haven't even been together for a year yet

Hopefully by this spring they'll have some more originals, they've got an instrumental that's pretty good but other than that it's just what's on the myspace plus a bunch of covers