Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

zman8 posted:

Wowsa thats enormous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
I like turkey and ham sandwiches

zman8 posted:

Well, I went ahead and proposed, and now we are in the process of planning the wedding.

We were thinking about a Sunday Wedding, 7/5/10, labor day weekend.

Here are some pics of the Engagement Ring:

And another:

Jesus, how many carats is that? Do you have any photos from the side?

zman8
Dec 21, 2002
I don't need a quote!!

ih8ualot posted:

Jesus, how many carats is that? Do you have any photos from the side?

Don't have any side photos, although my mom is also requesting them, so I will put them up when I can.

It is a 1.22 VS2 Ideal G, in a platinum channel set with .6 total carrat princess cut VS2 F-G.

The SA recommendation to hit up Pricescope.com was crucial!! Thanks to whomever recommended it.

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

zman8 posted:

Don't have any side photos, although my mom is also requesting them, so I will put them up when I can.

It is a 1.22 VS2 Ideal G, in a platinum channel set with .6 total carrat princess cut VS2 F-G.

The SA recommendation to hit up Pricescope.com was crucial!! Thanks to whomever recommended it.

gently caress yeah! :rock: You made my day!

I actually looked at your post with a sinking heart, assuming that my repeated pleas in this thread to go to Pricescope had been unheeded. It warms my heart that someone actually took the time to go to PS and get educated on diamonds before making their purchase.

Congrats on getting a rocking diamond; now you can pop into Maul stores and laugh over the prices they're asking for stones that don't deserve to be in the same room as yours. :hfive:

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

RedFish posted:

gently caress yeah! :rock: You made my day!

I actually looked at your post with a sinking heart, assuming that my repeated pleas in this thread to go to Pricescope had been unheeded. It warms my heart that someone actually took the time to go to PS and get educated on diamonds before making their purchase.

Congrats on getting a rocking diamond; now you can pop into Maul stores and laugh over the prices they're asking for stones that don't deserve to be in the same room as yours. :hfive:

I went and put in my diamond specs and see most around 3300$ so the 2900$ I paid looks like a good deal to me.

l_th
Aug 9, 2005
Well I'm about to propose in a few weeks after 4.6 years together.

My stupid proposal idea is to order custom printed M&M online asking the question and then surprise her with that.

I'm actually planing on telling her father (not asking him) that I'm planing on marrying his daughter.

Already ordered this ring from Bluenile and just waiting for it to be delivered. This thread has been a lifesaver on figuring out what diamond to choose. I went with a 0.40carat Princess, very Good-cut, F-color, and VVS1.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

l_th posted:

Well I'm about to propose in a few weeks after 4.6 years together.

My stupid proposal idea is to order custom printed M&M online asking the question and then surprise her with that.

I'm actually planing on telling her father (not asking him) that I'm planing on marrying his daughter.

Already ordered this ring from Bluenile and just waiting for it to be delivered. This thread has been a lifesaver on figuring out what diamond to choose. I went with a 0.40carat Princess, very Good-cut, F-color, and VVS1.

I actually proposed last month with pretty that exact ring from (.44 carat though :whatup:). I meant to thank this thread for all the help, but it slipped my mind. I emailed RedFish's long post to myself a few months ago and consulted it regularly. I never even set foot in a mall store, and it makes me happy knowing that I got a better deal than my friend who also proposed but went to Jared (bastard did it 4 days before me :argh:). So thanks, RedFish. I owe you a beer. I'm sure I'll be hanging out here more in the coming months.

Anyway, I was very happy with the ring and service from Blue Nile, so I have a feeling you will be too, l_th. The ONLY issue was I ordered a size 3.75 (yeah, she's tiny) and it came as more like a 4.25. But that was easily fixed.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
A short wedding story, and advice for the broke guys like me.

I just got married on December 18th. My fiancee and I are both college students who had been engaged over 2 years. We were going to have to finance the entire wedding ourselves, which as we found out, is pretty much impossible for people under our circumstances.

So we said to hell with it. Our wedding was to be in May 2009, and an event that was supposed to be one of the happiest of our lives was something we couldn't even stand to think about anymore. We decided to elope.

We booked a [relatively] cheap trip to New York City, where we stayed for a week as our honeymoon/Christmas gift to each other. Our first day there we applied for our marriage license, and 24 hours later we were married in jeans at City Hall. We hired a super-cheap amateur photographer to follow us for a few hours, and it was perfect.

If you're in a tough situation with the wedding planning — you're young, you have no money, your family isn't supportive, etc - I cannot stress enough that eloping is wonderful. Our ceremony was intimate, romantic, and very personal despite what most might expect to the contrary. Looking back, for two people who so closely rely on one another, I honestly can't imagine doing it any other way, even if we'd had the means. I'm not saying that this is for everyone, or that having a lavish or expensive or traditional wedding is unwise. But I can definitely say that if you and your significant other have ever considered it, it isn't something you're likely to regret.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

tvb posted:

I just got married on December 18th. My fiancee and I are both college students who had been engaged over 2 years. We were going to have to finance the entire wedding ourselves, which as we found out, is pretty much impossible for people under our circumstances.

So we said to hell with it. Our wedding was to be in May 2009, and an event that was supposed to be one of the happiest of our lives was something we couldn't even stand to think about anymore. We decided to elope.

We booked a [relatively] cheap trip to New York City, where we stayed for a week as our honeymoon/Christmas gift to each other. Our first day there we applied for our marriage license, and 24 hours later we were married in jeans at City Hall. We hired a super-cheap amateur photographer to follow us for a few hours, and it was perfect.

If you're in a tough situation with the wedding planning — you're young, you have no money, your family isn't supportive, etc - I cannot stress enough that eloping is wonderful. Our ceremony was intimate, romantic, and very personal despite what most might expect to the contrary. Looking back, for two people who so closely rely on one another, I honestly can't imagine doing it any other way, even if we'd had the means. I'm not saying that this is for everyone, or that having a lavish or expensive or traditional wedding is unwise. But I can definitely say that if you and your significant other have ever considered it, it isn't something you're likely to regret.

That is super sweet. Congrats!

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

tvb posted:

Congratulations! And thanks for sharing your story, too - when you're caught up in the cogs of the wedding industry machine, it's good to be reminded that it isn't about living up to some invisible standard, it's about two people, in love, getting married. That's the only important bit, and it sounds like you guys did it just right :)

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

Meanwhile, I've been getting over my wedding-planning irritation with some retail therapy.

I've been feeling guilty for a while about spending money on the wedding in an uncertain economy and about spending too much on a single day, and on and on and on, and it was getting me really down on the whole planning process, so I've pretty much said gently caress it and I'm buying a lot of cute little things that will make our wedding pretty and make me happy. Shallow, sure, but it's working. Here's some of the poo poo I've picked up on Etsy recently

These will be our favours:

They've arrived already, and they're super cute in person - little packets with local wildflower seeds are inside.

Here's my clutch:

And here's some little notebooks:

I'm borrowing an idea from Weddingbee for those guys. I'm going to put the table numbers on them, and inside they'll have a request for advice and wishes for the bride and groom. Give the tables another way to pass the time while they wait for us to get back, and hopefully give us a good keepsake.

Also, what do you guys think of this idea? Our folks have basically said they don't want us spending lots of money on gifts for them, since we're paying for a bunch of the wedding and they don't want it to be more of a burden than necessary. So what I was thinking of doing, instead of a slideshow or photo albums for the wedding, is making a nice Blurb book up with photos of us as kids, with our families, growing up, and then our engagement pictures... maybe 20 pages total or so. Then I'd make three copies (my folks are divorced), put them out with the guest book for people to look at, and give them to our folks after the wedding. That way it's still part of the wedding expenses, but it's something special they can keep too.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

tvb posted:

Congratulations to you! While I'm not exactly broke, I just got engaged and my fiancee and I don't like the idea of a huge wedding mostly for cost reasons, as we're still young and don't want that kind of burden on ourselves. Also, she's going to be moving here to the US from the UK in an unknown timeframe due to visa requirements, so we can't really plan very far in advance (the visa will require that we get married soon after she arrives). Because of this, we'll probably do a courthouse type ceremony. Luckily, we've found a locale that is a great compromise between the courthouse and a nicer place, and the best part is that they require little advance notice and the ceremony is (to our delight) non-religious! Thank you, Chicago Cultural Center: http://tinyurl.com/5zrv2k

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 8, 2009

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

tvb posted:

I wish we could do something like that. :(

Our wedding day is rapidly approaching (2nd of May) and while it's not massive compared to the weddings of some people I know, it is much larger and more expensive than initially hoped.

Still given that my fiancee is Greek we are doing well to only have 150 guests.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

tvb posted:

This is the cutest picture ever.

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006

Narwhale posted:

I actually proposed last month with pretty that exact ring from (.44 carat though :whatup:). I meant to thank this thread for all the help, but it slipped my mind. I emailed RedFish's long post to myself a few months ago and consulted it regularly. I never even set foot in a mall store, and it makes me happy knowing that I got a better deal than my friend who also proposed but went to Jared (bastard did it 4 days before me :argh:). So thanks, RedFish. I owe you a beer. I'm sure I'll be hanging out here more in the coming months.

Anyway, I was very happy with the ring and service from Blue Nile, so I have a feeling you will be too, l_th. The ONLY issue was I ordered a size 3.75 (yeah, she's tiny) and it came as more like a 4.25. But that was easily fixed.

:j::respek::cheers: Congrats on getting an awesome diamond. I don't remember which long post you were referring to (was it the one where I begged people to remember Cut was the most important of the Cs?) but I'm so glad it helped you. Just pay it forward by steering your buddies away from danger, that's all I ask.

Did you get your ring reset or resized? I know that generally channel-set rings can be a giant pain in the rear end to resize, although if the accent diamonds are princess cuts they probably don't run as much risk of chipping when the edges rub like rounds do. Did you get BN to do it, or a local jeweler?

Has she walked into anything yet while staring at her hand? That's a pretty blingtastic set you've got there; it must be a disco ball when light hits it.

razzberri
Jan 16, 2004

I took forever reading through this entire thread and I'm so glad I did. I've found so many great resources! We're not "officially" engaged, meaning there is no ring yet and no date set. Honestly, he still needs to get his divorce finalized, which has been taking forever due to issues with his ex, BUT we will start planning in earnest whenever that happens, so I'm starting to get ideas and loose plans together for now. We know that we will be using the brand-new pavilion at the park here ($850/day including set-up and tear-down, cash-bar service, SOCAN music fee, security) and which caterer we will be using (prime rib, $27/head for full buffet including desserts and a chocolate fountain, and service included...can't beat that!). The great thing is, we want to get married outside at the park, and with the pavilion rental being for the entire DAY, we will easily be able to move the ceremony inside if the weather turns out crappy on the day of the wedding.

I'm pretty sure I've found my dress. I found out about disneybridal.com, and my inner Princess started squealing. I'm about 99.9999% sure this will be the dress for me, in ivory instead of white (linking because waffleimages is being a brat): http://disneybridal.com/collection/redlabel/jasmine/jx1913/jx1913_images/jx1913.jpg

I'm an older bride, 35 now and it will be at least a year before the big day, and although I'd love to go full-on "princess mode" and have a big poofy ball-gown, I also realize that at my age I'd probably look quite ridiculous. Also, I'm bigger and I need something that will camouflage my huge gut (go go child-bearing!). I love the way the chiffon drapes on this particular style, and I've worn dresses that are similar that were successful in down-playing my tummy. The only thing I'm not certain about is that the dress is strapless. I would like to have a nice veil, and I'm wondering if that would do enough to distract from the amount of bare skin that the dress allows. Any thoughts on whether this will be enough?

Also, my boyfriend's uncle got married a few months ago, and his bride didn't wear a veil at all. All day we kept thinking something looked "off", and it turned out it was because she had no veil or any real embellishments in her hair, otherwise she looked absolutely stunning. I definitely don't want to look like I'm "missing" anything, so I'm thinking a veil is a must-have for my wedding. I'm just unsure of what style would look good with that particular dress. :(

galaxian
Dec 29, 2008
Just chiming in, I'm a professional photographer based in Seattle, WA. I am definitely open to answer any questions regarding what to expect/what questions to ask/if you want me to shoot your wedding. Just email me[at]sergiomottola[dot]com . It can be pretty overwhelming but I'd love to help.

Non-Player
Oct 27, 2007
also chiming in, long time thread lurker. I am a graphic design student, mostly self teaching honestly, and I am willing to do invites and other design work on the cheap, and I can ship to wherever. I can give you links to my work if you're interested, I'm by no means a pro but I think I'm pretty good, especially at slightly off-beat designs.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

RedFish posted:

:j::respek::cheers: Congrats on getting an awesome diamond. I don't remember which long post you were referring to (was it the one where I begged people to remember Cut was the most important of the Cs?) but I'm so glad it helped you. Just pay it forward by steering your buddies away from danger, that's all I ask.

Did you get your ring reset or resized? I know that generally channel-set rings can be a giant pain in the rear end to resize, although if the accent diamonds are princess cuts they probably don't run as much risk of chipping when the edges rub like rounds do. Did you get BN to do it, or a local jeweler?

Has she walked into anything yet while staring at her hand? That's a pretty blingtastic set you've got there; it must be a disco ball when light hits it.

Yeah, that's the post I meant. I ended up getting a signature cut (or whatever BNs highest is called). Since she's so small the size looks great on her, so I made the right choice in going cut over size. I would have passed along my knowledge to my friend, but I had no idea he was getting engaged.

She took it to a local place to get it sized. I wasn't there, so I honestly don't know how they did it. And yeah, I catch her staring at it all the time :) . It's really gratifying to know that she loves it, considering I picked it out myself (with a little input from my sister). Of course, she said yes before she even saw it :)

So anyway, now we're trying to figure out where to do it. It will probably be in her hometown, which is kind of small so there aren't a lot of options for the reception. There's always the fellowship hall, but that means no alcohol. I think there are some small museums and historical sites that could be cool, and some restaurants downtown, but we haven't really researched everything yet. Any ideas on places we may not have thought of?

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

MarshallX posted:

Recently engaged goon checking in. I proposed in May and our wedding is booked for Oct 3, 2009.

So far we have the hall, church, catering, photographer and decorations booked. Dress is bought and paid for.

It's now January 3rd....are we behind or ahead in terms of planning? I feel like we are behind and the wedding is going to sneak up on us like something fierce.

Hello wedding date buddy! See, I feel that we're behind on planning. That's because all we've got is the church, priest, pre-Cana, ceremony musicians and my dress done. We have a rehearsal time but still need to get the dinner setup. You're only supposed to invite the bridal party, appropriate spouses/fiances/etc and parents, right? Also, outside of the bridal party, who gets flowers (parents, grandparents, etc)?

Our wedding is going to be at 10:30am though, so I'm hoping we'll be able to get a better deal on the restaurant or hotel for a luncheon. Does anyone have good non-dancing suggestions for fun at the lunch? We were thinking cards at all the tables and video games if we can swing it (there will definitely be some kiddos present).

Edit: How much should invitations run? We're going to check out local options and I've been seeing them for $4 average per invite on Etsy.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

fine-tune posted:

You're only supposed to invite the bridal party, appropriate spouses/fiances/etc and parents, right? Also, outside of the bridal party, who gets flowers (parents, grandparents, etc)?

For the rehearsal dinner I believe it's supposed to be the bridal party and their SO's, parents and siblings, and any out of town guests.

I also bought flowers for other guests of honor like grandparents, ushers, officiant, and the person who did a reading during the ceremony. If you are generous you can go with musicians and emcee/DJ.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Gravitee posted:

For the rehearsal dinner I believe it's supposed to be the bridal party and their SO's, parents and siblings, and any out of town guests.

I also bought flowers for other guests of honor like grandparents, ushers, officiant, and the person who did a reading during the ceremony. If you are generous you can go with musicians and emcee/DJ.

I guess we'll need to break tradition since everyone will be an out of town guest :(. On the plus side, our officiant is a priest so he will have fancy robes and no need of flowers!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

zman8 posted:

See, this is why I always tell people to buy a very well cut diamond. The optical performance really makes a difference.

That's a beautiful ring.

zman8
Dec 21, 2002
I don't need a quote!!

JohnnyRnR posted:

See, this is why I always tell people to buy a very well cut diamond. The optical performance really makes a difference.

That's a beautiful ring.

This is so true. While the pictures don't begin to do the ring justice, when I finally saw it under ceiling lights, holy crap is that thing sparkly.

Its all about the cut.

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006

zman8 posted:

This is so true.

Its all about the cut.

:glomp: Yes, yes it is! :woop:

Take her to a movie theatre at night. I almost tripped over the curb outside and had to be towed through the line, and when inside was disappointed when the movie started because they dimmed the lights.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

fine-tune posted:

I guess we'll need to break tradition since everyone will be an out of town guest :(. On the plus side, our officiant is a priest so he will have fancy robes and no need of flowers!

99% of my side was from out of town too. We just had a big BBQ as a rehearsal dinner so we could accommodate more people. Basically we just invited everyone who was around Friday night and it worked out well. If you can't invite everyone from out of town, it might be nice to suggest good restaurants, movie theaters or sights in the area if they arrive early and have time to kill.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

fine-tune posted:

Hello wedding date buddy! See, I feel that we're behind on planning.

My wedding is in three months. You are not behind on planning. You have more done than I do.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

We had our engagement photos taken this week in London and Oxford. We are SO pleased with them! I know some people think they're a waste of money, but we had so much fun! We will likely use the same photographer for our wedding, so it was great to test him out and make sure we're comfortable in front of the camera with him.

Edit: Wow, sorry they're so huge.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
Your Pics are arranged from my least favorite of the bunch to the best of them in perfect order. The one in pink background is stunning (as well as humorous!), by the way, and the last one is oh so sweet.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

The one with the arch in the background is great. It looks like it could be on the cover of a romantic comedy movie jacket.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Oodles posted:

Holy hell thats a big diamond. Two Carat?

And I thought the one I bought was a bit much for reference, mine was a .79 Carat;

Do you have any more, or larger, pictures of this. It's beautiful!

EDIT: To everybody: How long were you with your significant other before you/he proposed? Not many of you shared that information, and I'm genuinely curious. :)

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

CrackSpider posted:

EDIT: To everybody: How long were you with your significant other before you/he proposed? Not many of you shared that information, and I'm genuinely curious. :)

2 1/2 years.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

CrackSpider posted:

Do you have any more, or larger, pictures of this. It's beautiful!

Exactly five years, he did it on our anniversary :)

AmethystBliss, your pictures are fun and cute, congratulations. :)

Crash BandiCute fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 11, 2009

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

CrackSpider posted:

5.5 years, living together for four.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures! Those were just a preview from the photographer, we're anxiously awaiting the rest of them :).

We were together for 10 months before we got engaged, but knew each other for a year and a half.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

amethystbliss posted:

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures! Those were just a preview from the photographer, we're anxiously awaiting the rest of them :).

We were together for 10 months before we got engaged, but knew each other for a year and a half.

You guys are so cute, and those are fantastic photos. Isn't having a good photographer fun?

We were together nearly 6 years when we got engaged. I was ready a good year before that, but my fiance's a little slower to come around to things.

Wench
Aug 8, 2000
MONITOR != TOUCHSCREEN. DO NOT TOUCH THE MONITOR

CrackSpider posted:

About eight years before we got officially engaged.

sexily
Jul 25, 2001

Oh, is this 1953?
I need some help with as issue. Hopefully this hasn't been covered already.

We're going to apply for our marriage license on Friday but he doesn't have the information the application asks for regarding his parents. His mom is not helping him with this and it doesn't look like he'll be able to get the information. What problems is this going to cause?

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

CrackSpider posted:

We were together 18 months before he proposed, and living together for most of that.

I'm hoping some asian, more specifically Singaporean goons can help me out. A girl at work goes on about asian wedding factories, and how it is very common to have a quiet private wedding, and then a few years later when the couple has a bit more money they go to a wedding factory and have a photo album made. She says the dress, tux, hair and makeup are all provided. My original wedding photos sucked, I looked like a freakin Tolkien elf and I am going to Singapore in March. Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences they can share? Are the dresses horrible 80s tulle monstrosities? Ballpark price? How long do you have to book in advance? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

quote:

We were together exactly 4 years for the proposal (anniversary). We'd also been living together for a little over 2 years.