Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

vanjalolz posted:

Is there any way to get TimeMachine backup to a zfs server? If not, whats the best way to back up my laptop to my server with out an external drive?

I use rsync scripts on a launchd schedule. It beats cron, because if you are in sleep and it comes time to run a launchd job, when your machine wakes or boots it'll run those jobs (read: sync) automatically. It's pretty snazzy, though I'm so paranoid I run hourly rsync backups and do a daily Time Machine backup to an old 160gb at night.

Lingon is a good utility to manage launchd jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime
I'm trying to convice my boss to buy a NAS to replace a crappy old windows file server that goes down on a daily basis. We're a small office with 20 odd computers, mix of windows and linux, no AD or similar. I've looked at some QNAP and Thecus devices. His biggest concern is what happens if the device fails. How do offices usually deal with this situation? I imagine having a raid (5) means I can't just take the disk and plug it into another computer. What is the best (inexpensive) solution apart from having a backup device?

toliman
Aug 24, 2007

indigoe posted:

I'm trying to convice my boss to buy a NAS to replace a crappy old windows file server that goes down on a daily basis.

What is the best (inexpensive) solution apart from having a backup device?

i'd say you would want either the DLink DNS-343 or the Thecus N4200Pro, as it's got an LCD display and dual gigabit ports, etc. it largely depends on the situation, but the capacity for 20+ users would be better on the improved hardware in the larger NAS models. a single-disk NAS will handle routing or shares, but it won't be all that fast at holding a database/mailserver for more than routine reads once it chokes on the load. obviously, CPU speed and caching will help out there.

and, of course, LCD screens are very handy for placating people over costs... as are blinking lights. i.e. bling being a perfectly valid criteria for ranking competing products.

if it's just cost, the thecus is likely to be a better/cheaper investment, etc. use the SNB charts http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_nas/Itemid,190/ to pick out a model/type that suits first, then do the hard yards to research a NAS that will do the job you ideally want from that short list.

as for reliability, it's catastrophic failure or nothing with raid5. or silent data corruption, i suppose. service failure can be made more reliable with scripts or modules to add new services, and a reboot is still quick and easy enough to recover essential services.

reliability on RAID5 is a bit questionable with cheaper NAS, as it's using linux (i.e. ext3, LVM, iptables, etc.) for software RAID5 and while linux has it's own standards for reliability; physical failure, i.e. PSU/electrical/heat, etc. isn't as large a problem at all compared to a more expensive hardware RAID setup where you need to purchase exact replacements or vendor-keyed items to recover/upgrade data. i.e. the drives can be rebuilt and used in a linux built system with the right LVM/MD settings to mount the disks.

as for pure speed/quality/performance, that's going to be tough in lightweight NAS, iSCSI support might be a good idea, or other fault tolerance measures.

ceros_X posted:

you'd want the drobo. it's not that cheap, or good for NAS, but it's fast and will do esata-out, or, i believe the iscsi model thecus N5200 has esata-out for SAN, iSCSI would be easier to suit the desire for pure speed, or the drobo.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

toliman posted:

you'd want the drobo. it's not that cheap, or good for NAS, but it's fast and will do esata-out, or, i believe the iscsi model thecus N5200 has esata-out for SAN, iSCSI would be easier to suit the desire for pure speed, or the drobo.

Drobo 1.0 is USB 2.0 and Drobo 2.0 is Firewire 800. I wish Drobo had eSata - it'd make sense. As far as I can tell with a lot of googling, the eSata port on the Thecus N5200 is only used for 'future expansion', meaning hooking up another drive to the NAS for more storage space as opposed to hooking it up to your PC and transferring files.

So far I'm looking at:

DAS Rig 1 (Multilane)
======================
MST4ML-B = Mini Storage Tower with 4X Multilane interface, black - Connects up to 4 drives to system via 1 Infiniband Multilane 4X cable. Includes 4 Internal SATA data cables (AASAIDC18I), power cord, 4 4P-15 pins SATA power connectors (AA4PSAPC), mounting screws, and user guide. - $129.95

4x Multilane bridge for SATA controller = Designed to convert 4 internal SATA ports to external multilane connector for Infiniband cabling system. Support connection of 4 devices via 1 cable. (model: AD4SAML-PCI) click to check price and shop online - $29
More Info...Hard Drives.

Drive Bay: 3 x 5.25Bay for 4 x 3.5" HDD hot swapable. $99.99

AAIB4C150 1Infiniband 4X MultiLane eSATA cable, 150 cm $59.95

areca ARC-1210 PCI-Express x8 SATA II Controller Card RAID 0/1/1E/3/5 JBOD - Retail $299.99

$619.87, Max of 4 Drives, must use 1.5 TB to get max cap ($4190.95 GB). 1TB cap results in 2793.96 useable GB. Highest possible transfer rates? Not portable in any sense. Then just share the drive over GigE.

Or if I wanted to go Super NAS Link Aggregation + Quad Lan + HP Procurve 1800-24G = Win
=============================================================

HP Procurve 1800-24G

ASUS P5BV-C/4L LGA 775 Intel 3200 ATX Server Motherboard - $209

LSI LSI00005-F 64-bit, 133MHz PCI-X SATA II MegaRAID 300-8X Kit 8 Port SATA/300 128MB RAID 0/1/5/10/50 - Retail $399.99

Athena Power CA-SWH01BH8 Black Steel Pedestal Server Case 2 External 5.25" Drive Bays - Retail $241.99

Of course, you'd have to toss in some ram (FBDIMMS, $90 for 2x 2GB) and a proc (2.0ghz dual core for about $70 if you were cheapo). Other then that, slap in 8 or so drives, configure a raid 5 setup with a linux distro and then hook up all four ports to your Procurve and away you go with Link Aggregation. If the chipset supports it, which I can't find but it'd be retarded if it didn't.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Somehow I missed this thread, and thought the only NAS megathread in here was the enterprise one. I'm in dire need of assistance regarding my new NAS box, here's a thread I just made in SH/SC:

A few days ago I bought this sweet little NAS:

In short, it's a NAS for 2xSATA drives that also runs a print, FTP, NSF, iTunes and Bittorrent server, all accessible through a web interface. The web interface for the BitTorrent client is incredibly lovely, but I figured I could live with it.

Until I enabled the Telnet server, logged in and found a bare-bones but still pretty cool Linux system called BusyBox! I was amazed that this little plastic box for hard drives was in fact a (tiny) computer running Linux. And the torrent client is not lovely at all, the interface is just a front for rtorrent. Which I'm told is pretty good for a CLI torrent client.

I cheered when I found all of this out, and looked forward to all the cool things I could do with this. Then I cried when I realized that this system is really, really, really bare-bones. In order to get SSH on it (the rtorrent interface doesn't seem to work over telnet) I found this thing called DropBear, which is a tiny SSH client recommended on the BusyBox website, and tried to build it. But no:

code:
nas20> ./configure
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
./configure: 1: sort: not found
./configure: 90: sort: not found
Great. I can't find any compiler on the system, but then again `find` isn't even there. On top of that, `sort` isn't there either.

There is little to no information on this particular NAS on the whole Internet, so I haven't found much help there. `uname -a` reveals this:
code:
nas20> uname -a
Linux nas20.lan 2.6.15 #143 Mon Nov 3 04:10:59 CST 2008 armv4l unknown
So I at least know it's an ARM processor, running Linux. I still have no idea how to get anything on there. But I dream of my tiny little NAS running rtorrent, ssh and other nifty stuff. If you know anything about this, please either help me achieve this nerdy dream or tell me that it's hopeless.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

What kind of file structure do you see? What kind of CLI commands can you use?

These questions may seem ridiculous, and they might be - but we run busybox on our ATCA Shelf Managers. Maybe I can experiment with a few ShMMs and help you out. They generally only have very minor capabilities, and will probably require some sort of COM or RJ45->Serial connection to make significant modifications, but we can see what we can do.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
You should be able to chroot debian on there somehow.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

indigoe posted:

His biggest concern is what happens if the device fails.

I'd tell him he's hosed unless he's willing to spend the money to address this.

Like DFS with replication (if windows, but you need AD I think), but even better would be a SAN as the disk storage in a fault toleranced cluster.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

-S- posted:

What kind of file structure do you see? What kind of CLI commands can you use?

These questions may seem ridiculous, and they might be - but we run busybox on our ATCA Shelf Managers. Maybe I can experiment with a few ShMMs and help you out. They generally only have very minor capabilities, and will probably require some sort of COM or RJ45->Serial connection to make significant modifications, but we can see what we can do.
The file system is ext3, but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking about. It pretty much looks like a normal bash shell, with 1/10 of the commands.

Two tabs reveal this:
code:
nas20>
AVH-IPv4LL           df                   initLang             nmbd                 smbclient
CheckDF0.sh          dhcpd                initSystem           ntfsfix              smbd
CheckDF1.sh          dirname              insmod               ntfsinfo             smbpasswd
CheckDF2.sh          dmesg                ip                   ntfsls               smtpblast
CheckImage2.sh       dosfsck              kill                 ntfsmount            statusd
KillMonitor.sh       du                   killall              ntpdate              stty
UpgradeFirm.sh       e2fsck               killall4             pass                 swapoff
WakeupFTP            echo                 killall5             passwd               swapon
\[                   edquota              klogd                pidof                sync
addgroup             egrep                ln                   ping                 syslogd
adduser              exportfs             logger               portmap              tar
after_diagd          expr                 login                poweroff             tee
ash                  false                lomount              printf               telnetd
awk                  fdisk                losetup              proftpd              test
backup_button        flashwrite2.sh       loumount             ps                   tftp
basename             fsck.xfs             lpd                  pwd                  thttpd
bootpc               fusermount           lpr                  quotacheck           time
bunzip2              getty                ls                   quotaoff             touch
busybox              gmac                 lsmod                quotaon              tty
bzcat                gpio                 mDNSResponderPosix   reboot               tune2fs
cat                  grep                 mdadm                recovery             udhcpc
chgrp                gunzip               mkdir                rm                   umount
chkntfs              gzip                 mkdosfs              rmmod                uname
chmod                halt                 mke2fs               route                upnpdevice
chown                hdparm               mkfs.minix           rpc.mountd           usleep
cp                   hostid               mkfs.xfs             rpc.nfsd             ustord
crond                hostname             mkntfs               rtorrent             vctl
crontab              hotplug              mkswap               sed                  vi
cut                  id                   monitor              setsid               who
date                 ifconfig             more                 sfdisk               zcat
dd                   ifdown               mount                sh
debugfs              ifup                 mt-daapd             sharePublic
delgroup             inetd                mv                   sleep
deluser              init                 netstat              smartctl
Many of these commands are lite-versions of the real thing. For example, `tar` has these options:
code:
nas20> tar -h
BusyBox v1.00-rc3 (2008.10.22-00:29+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: tar -[czjxtvO] [-f TARFILE] [-C DIR] [FILE(s)] ...

Create, extract, or list files from a tar file.

Options:
        c               create
        x               extract
        t               list

Archive format selection:
        z               Filter the archive through gzip
        j               Filter the archive through bzip2

File selection:
        f               name of TARFILE or "-" for stdin
        O               extract to stdout
        C               change to directory DIR before operation
        v               verbosely list files processed 
I'm pretty impressed with the amount of stuff I can do inside the shell (there's crontab, vi, fdisk, etc.) but there's also a lot of stuff missing. I'm willing to spend some time learning to hack this box as a little nerd-project (making a cross-compiler, building stuff for it) but right now I'm not sure where to begin. Any help is very appreciated.

optik
Jul 6, 2005
linux is a pathway to many abilities..... some consider to be un-natural
I am looking at creating a 3-disk RAID5 array with Ubuntu as the host OS, I have found plenty of tutorials on using mdadm to create the RAID array but when it comes to LVM I am having issues, could any of you point me to a tutorial on creating a LVM volume that is expandable in the future.

thanks,

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Zedlic posted:

The file system is ext3, but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking about. It pretty much looks like a normal bash shell, with 1/10 of the commands.

Two tabs reveal this:
code:
nas20>
AVH-IPv4LL           df                   initLang             nmbd                 smbclient
CheckDF0.sh          dhcpd                initSystem           ntfsfix              smbd
CheckDF1.sh          dirname              insmod               ntfsinfo             smbpasswd
CheckDF2.sh          dmesg                ip                   ntfsls               smtpblast
CheckImage2.sh       dosfsck              kill                 ntfsmount            statusd
KillMonitor.sh       du                   killall              ntpdate              stty
UpgradeFirm.sh       e2fsck               killall4             pass                 swapoff
WakeupFTP            echo                 killall5             passwd               swapon
\[                   edquota              klogd                pidof                sync
addgroup             egrep                ln                   ping                 syslogd
adduser              exportfs             logger               portmap              tar
after_diagd          expr                 login                poweroff             tee
ash                  false                lomount              printf               telnetd
awk                  fdisk                losetup              proftpd              test
backup_button        flashwrite2.sh       loumount             ps                   tftp
basename             fsck.xfs             lpd                  pwd                  thttpd
bootpc               fusermount           lpr                  quotacheck           time
bunzip2              getty                ls                   quotaoff             touch
busybox              gmac                 lsmod                quotaon              tty
bzcat                gpio                 mDNSResponderPosix   reboot               tune2fs
cat                  grep                 mdadm                recovery             udhcpc
chgrp                gunzip               mkdir                rm                   umount
chkntfs              gzip                 mkdosfs              rmmod                uname
chmod                halt                 mke2fs               route                upnpdevice
chown                hdparm               mkfs.minix           rpc.mountd           usleep
cp                   hostid               mkfs.xfs             rpc.nfsd             ustord
crond                hostname             mkntfs               rtorrent             vctl
crontab              hotplug              mkswap               sed                  vi
cut                  id                   monitor              setsid               who
date                 ifconfig             more                 sfdisk               zcat
dd                   ifdown               mount                sh
debugfs              ifup                 mt-daapd             sharePublic
delgroup             inetd                mv                   sleep
deluser              init                 netstat              smartctl
Many of these commands are lite-versions of the real thing. For example, `tar` has these options:
code:
nas20> tar -h
BusyBox v1.00-rc3 (2008.10.22-00:29+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: tar -[czjxtvO] [-f TARFILE] [-C DIR] [FILE(s)] ...

Create, extract, or list files from a tar file.

Options:
        c               create
        x               extract
        t               list

Archive format selection:
        z               Filter the archive through gzip
        j               Filter the archive through bzip2

File selection:
        f               name of TARFILE or "-" for stdin
        O               extract to stdout
        C               change to directory DIR before operation
        v               verbosely list files processed 
I'm pretty impressed with the amount of stuff I can do inside the shell (there's crontab, vi, fdisk, etc.) but there's also a lot of stuff missing. I'm willing to spend some time learning to hack this box as a little nerd-project (making a cross-compiler, building stuff for it) but right now I'm not sure where to begin. Any help is very appreciated.

You may can set up a tftp server and host a gcc tarball, then use tftp from the busybox shell to move it over. You could then see if you can extract/configure/make gcc, and THEN see if you can successfully run the configure script for dropbear.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

optik posted:

I am looking at creating a 3-disk RAID5 array with Ubuntu as the host OS, I have found plenty of tutorials on using mdadm to create the RAID array but when it comes to LVM I am having issues, could any of you point me to a tutorial on creating a LVM volume that is expandable in the future.

thanks,

http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/raid-lvm.php

I had some trouble getting the page to load, but after about 3 tries it worked.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

-S- posted:

You may can set up a tftp server and host a gcc tarball, then use tftp from the busybox shell to move it over. You could then see if you can extract/configure/make gcc, and THEN see if you can successfully run the configure script for dropbear.

There's actually no problem moving stuff over to the NAS, since NFS and Samba is enabled. I moved the dropbear tarball over, extracted it and tried to configure it but it failed due to not finding any compiler. If I do the same with a gcc tarball (for which architecture?), won't it stop in the same spot when trying to find any kind of compiler on the system?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Zedlic posted:

There's actually no problem moving stuff over to the NAS, since NFS and Samba is enabled. I moved the dropbear tarball over, extracted it and tried to configure it but it failed due to not finding any compiler. If I do the same with a gcc tarball (for which architecture?), won't it stop in the same spot when trying to find any kind of compiler on the system?

Don't remember the proper terms, but when you run make, specify the location of the libraries with environment variables. such as "make GCC_LIB=/foo/gcc"

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ashex posted:

Don't remember the proper terms, but when you run make, specify the location of the libraries with environment variables. such as "make GCC_LIB=/foo/gcc"
code:
nas20> make
-ash: make: not found
:(

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Zedlic posted:

code:
nas20> make
-ash: make: not found
:(

It's sounding like you'll need to go the cross-compiler route. While I've used GCC cross-compilers before, I've never compiled one, which might be what you end up having to do if you can't find one for the architecture that thing runs on. I'd suggest using crosstool to do it, which could at least make it a bit less painful. It's a set of scripts that's supposed to take care of a lot of the more painful aspects of compiling a cross-compiler.

You will need to figure out what architecture to target, though. From what you posted in the other thread, it's obviously going to be some kind of ARM architecture, but I believe they have several ARM variants that can be targetted.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

It's sounding like you'll need to go the cross-compiler route. While I've used GCC cross-compilers before, I've never compiled one, which might be what you end up having to do if you can't find one for the architecture that thing runs on. I'd suggest using crosstool to do it, which could at least make it a bit less painful. It's a set of scripts that's supposed to take care of a lot of the more painful aspects of compiling a cross-compiler.

You will need to figure out what architecture to target, though. From what you posted in the other thread, it's obviously going to be some kind of ARM architecture, but I believe they have several ARM variants that can be targetted.

Yes, I believe cross-compiling is something I'll have to learn how to do if I'm going to succeed in hacking this NAS. I'm reading about the crosstool thing, thanks for the link.

About the architecture, there has to be a way to find it out somehow. I dug a little in /proc and found this, but I'm not sure how it can help me. I'm Googling the processor name but coming up short.
code:
nas20> cat cpuinfo
Processor       : FA526id(wb) rev 1 (v4l)
BogoMIPS        : 230.19
Features        : swp half
CPU implementer : 0x66
CPU architecture: 4
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0x526
CPU revision    : 1
Cache type      : write-back
Cache clean     : cp15 c7 ops
Cache lockdown  : format B
Cache format    : Harvard
I size          : 16384
I assoc         : 2
I line length   : 16
I sets          : 512
D size          : 8192
D assoc         : 2
D line length   : 16
D sets          : 256

Hardware        : GeminiA
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000
Edit: Success! Seems like it's a FA5 Series RISC Processor. Namely the FA526 one listed in the table. Now to find out how the hell I can compile for this thing...

Edit2 because I'm not giving up: This PDF about something called Grain Media GM8120 MPEG-4/JPEG SoC tells me this:

PDF posted:

CPU Core: The FA526 CPU core implements the ARMv4 architecture, which is well documented in the ARM Architecture Reference Manual, second edition. The FA526 core is a Harvard architecture design with an 8-stage pipeline consisting of fetch, instruction, decode, register, shift, execute memory, and writeback stages.

Tool Chain
arm-elf-gcc 2.95.3 - GNU C compiler for embedded Linux
glibc 2.2.3 - GNU C library for embedded Linux
binutil 2.11.2 - GNU Binary image builder utility
Still don't know what to do with this, but at least I'm getting somewhere.

Edit III:

Would this perhaps be what I'm looking for?

That website posted:

The arm-elf-gcc is a C cross compiler for ARM targets
using the ELF file format.

If you are using uClinux/arm-elf and will be building a kernel and user
programs for a supported platform/architecture you will need to install
this package. Additional information may be found at https://www.lineo.com.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 8, 2009

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Zedlic posted:

Would this perhaps be what I'm looking for?

I can tell you that at least isn't going to work. From the other thread, I saw you had this:

/proc/version posted:

Linux version 2.6.15 (root@hwjang-linux) (gcc version 3.4.4) #143 Mon Nov 3 04:10:59 CST 2008

It was compiled using GCC 3.4.4. There were some huge changes between GCC 2.x and 3.x, so anything you build with 2.95.3-2 won't run on the NAS. You'll need to either find or build a copy of GCC 3.x (and possibly even 3.4.x, as I'm not sure how compatible different subversions of 3.x are).

It sounds like this company built their own toolchain for this thing from whatever the latest GCC version was when they made it, so you'll need to build something similar to what they had. I doubt they made any customizations to it, so if you can find a plain vanilla 3.x ARM cross-compiler, it might work.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You should take a look at fonz's fun_plug over at the dns-323 forums. It comes with quite a few packages that make getting stuff setup a lot easier. I've read about people getting it to work on NASs other than the dlink box it was designed for.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

I can tell you that at least isn't going to work. From the other thread, I saw you had this:

It was compiled using GCC 3.4.4. There were some huge changes between GCC 2.x and 3.x, so anything you build with 2.95.3-2 won't run on the NAS. You'll need to either find or build a copy of GCC 3.x (and possibly even 3.4.x, as I'm not sure how compatible different subversions of 3.x are).

It sounds like this company built their own toolchain for this thing from whatever the latest GCC version was when they made it, so you'll need to build something similar to what they had. I doubt they made any customizations to it, so if you can find a plain vanilla 3.x ARM cross-compiler, it might work.

Ah, ok. Glad you spotted that before I went on trying to compile things. I'm off looking for GCC 3.4.x. Am I right in thinking that I'm still looking for the same architecture, i.e. arm-elf-gcc?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Zedlic posted:

Ah, ok. Glad you spotted that before I went on trying to compile things. I'm off looking for GCC 3.4.x. Am I right in thinking that I'm still looking for the same architecture, i.e. arm-elf-gcc?

If you just grab the GCC source, that's enough, actually. It comes with all the code to compile it to cross-compile to any architecture it supports. You just need to configure it to do so when you compile it.

You might want to check out Comatoast's suggestion, though. If there's any kind of packaging system that will work with this thing, it'd be way easier than trying to build a cross-compiler for it.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

If you just grab the GCC source, that's enough, actually. It comes with all the code to compile it to cross-compile to any architecture it supports. You just need to configure it to do so when you compile it.

You might want to check out Comatoast's suggestion, though. If there's any kind of packaging system that will work with this thing, it'd be way easier than trying to build a cross-compiler for it.

Ok, thanks. I'm looking trough the fun_plug forums but 99% of the content seems to be exclusive for the dns-323. Might be hadr trying to find something useful there.

Seems like I've found myself a nice little DIY project.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You can generally figure out what sort of libraries the vendor used by running ldd on a binary library or executable. However, you can statically link the libraries into your stuff with some Makefile / gcc hackery. This, however, can massively bloat the size of the binary generated, so I wouldn't advise this for most embedded devices like a NAS OS.

arm-elf-gcc is the generic ARM instruction set, but you will likely need to specify the actual CPU generation. In your case, you should be able to get away with a CPU from the ARM7 family, so check that a flag like -mcpu=arm7tdmi shows up during the compilation. You should not need to downgrade your version of gcc. In fact, I know I've been able to cross compile from gcc 3.2 with an arm7 target... because I was the one on my team to port the build scripts to use newer gcc versions for certain optimizations we needed.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

necrobobsledder posted:

You can generally figure out what sort of libraries the vendor used by running ldd on a binary library or executable. However, you can statically link the libraries into your stuff with some Makefile / gcc hackery. This, however, can massively bloat the size of the binary generated, so I wouldn't advise this for most embedded devices like a NAS OS.

I was thinking statically-linked binaries would probably work, since it looks like this thing can run code from a hard drive, but . . . I forgot it probably doesn't have much RAM. :downs:

It doesn't look like it came with ldd, though, so maybe he could build a static copy of that to find out what libraries were used and then link everything dynamically afterwards?

Scenter
Jul 3, 2008

by angerbeet
If a disc fails in a jbod array, what happens to the rest of the data on the drives?

Also I just extended the partitions of three, 1.5TB drives together into one 4TB drive in vista ultimate. Same question, what If one of the drives fails? I assume windows is just putting data on the various drives so you'll only lose whatever was on that specific drive correct? This is a safer alternative than raid 0 at least right?

Scenter fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 9, 2009

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

Jonny 290 posted:

I use rsync scripts on a launchd schedule. It beats cron, because if you are in sleep and it comes time to run a launchd job, when your machine wakes or boots it'll run those jobs (read: sync) automatically. It's pretty snazzy, though I'm so paranoid I run hourly rsync backups and do a daily Time Machine backup to an old 160gb at night.

Lingon is a good utility to manage launchd jobs.

Do you mind posting your rsync scripts/settings so I can see how you do it?

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
If I understand JBOD correctly, it just strings the disks together, end to end.

[Disk1 ][Disk2 ][Disk3 ]
[FILE-A][FILE-B][FILE-C][FILE-D][FILE-E][FILE-F][FILE-G][FILE-H]

If you lose disk 2, you lose files C, D, E and F, and that's once you recover the data from 1 and 3.

I think.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Stonefish posted:

[Disk1 ][Disk2 ][Disk3 ]

If you lose disk 2, you lose files C, D, E and F, and that's once you recover the data from 1 and 3.

I think.

Except fragmentation will rape way more files.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Stonefish posted:

[Disk1 ][Disk2 ][Disk3 ]

I think.
A lot of controllers will use the term JBOD to mean each disk is presented to the OS separately with no on-controller RAID too.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
A lot of controllers are loving stupid.

(I had spaces in the "ascii art" up there, but they went away. Fuckit. /code)

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Stonefish posted:

A lot of controllers are loving stupid.

(I had spaces in the "ascii art" up there, but they went away. Fuckit. /code)
Well, personally I'd rather have something named a JBOD that let me do RAID in the host systems software than doing concatenation in hardware :)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

vanjalolz posted:

Do you mind posting your rsync scripts/settings so I can see how you do it?

No problem.

code:

time rsync -a -v --delete --partial -e ssh ~/Documents/ "jonny290@blurthatprivateip.net:~/mac/Documents/" --exclude-from="/Users/jonny290/sync/exclude"
time rsync -a -v --partial -e ssh ~/Pictures/ "jonny290@blurthatprivateip.net:~/mac/Pictures/" 
and exclude is just a list of folders you don't want rsync to worry about :

code:
/Users/jonny290/Documents/Parallels/
/Users/jonny290/Documents/junk/
that stops rsync from worrying about syncing gigantic parallels VM images and my junk folder where I keep ISO's I don't give a poo poo about and such.

Really just as long as you are using rsync -a --partial, you can set the rest of the flags however you need. Those are the important ones. 'man rsync' in terminal for more, it has TONS of options.
There are probably better flags to use, it works perfect for me.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 10, 2009

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

lilbean posted:

Well, personally I'd rather have something named a JBOD that let me do RAID in the host systems software than doing concatenation in hardware :)

You mean you want a "SATA Interface"? Yeah, I want one of those too.

Seriously. I want a PCIE 8x card with 8 SATA ports on it. No loving raid, or at least the cheap kind that can be completely disabled and doesn't generate a fuckload of heat.

Nobody loving makes these. I'd be cool with someone taking the generic SATA chip from a mobo and slapping it on a PCIE card, as long as it had at least 8 SATA ports on a single card. Use two chips if you must. Full speed, no bloody splitters.

I like me some linux kernel raid, but it's bloody hard to implement with a significant quantity (~16) of disks.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Stonefish posted:

You mean you want a "SATA Interface"? Yeah, I want one of those too.

Seriously. I want a PCIE 8x card with 8 SATA ports on it. No loving raid, or at least the cheap kind that can be completely disabled and doesn't generate a fuckload of heat.

Nobody loving makes these. I'd be cool with someone taking the generic SATA chip from a mobo and slapping it on a PCIE card, as long as it had at least 8 SATA ports on a single card. Use two chips if you must. Full speed, no bloody splitters.

I like me some linux kernel raid, but it's bloody hard to implement with a significant quantity (~16) of disks.
It's not a want, the SANs I buy at work are all JBODs that just give me access to the disks, and I use MD/LVM or ZFS on them (3310s, J4200s, etc). They all offer hardware RAID but ZFS is so much slicker. Sadly I can't afford any of that poo poo at home though.

Looking around though, are cards like this what you want?
http://www.cooldrives.com/8-channel-8-port-sata-pci-card.html

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
A lot like that, yes. Except not in PCI-X flavour.
Let me see, 8 SATA2 ports would require 8x3Gbit/sec to avoid theoretical bottlenecks, right? 3GBytes/sec would be about 6 PCI-E 2.0 lanes, so I guess it would have to be a PCI-E 8x card.

The card linked above could only handle about a third of that. and yes, I know it's not easy to max out a single SATA lane with a 7200 disk.

Basically, I don't have any PCI-X slots, nor have I ever seen one anywhere.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

Stonefish posted:

A lot like that, yes. Except not in PCI-X flavour.
Let me see, 8 SATA2 ports would require 8x3Gbit/sec to avoid theoretical bottlenecks, right? 3GBytes/sec would be about 6 PCI-E 2.0 lanes, so I guess it would have to be a PCI-E 8x card.

The card linked above could only handle about a third of that. and yes, I know it's not easy to max out a single SATA lane with a 7200 disk.

Basically, I don't have any PCI-X slots, nor have I ever seen one anywhere.

Hell, I just want a PCI-E card with 4+ SATA2 ports that supports Vista 64 for a reasonable price.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
It would appear that there is a hole in the market.

ExoticMandibles
Jul 28, 2008
I put together a mighty RAID late-ish last year: 14 1TB drives, running as a single RAIDZ2 (ZFS) partition all in software. So I get 12TB of storage, and I can lose two disks and not lose a byte of data. Is swell.

My motherboard has 6 SATA connectors, and I needed a card with 8 more--JBOD, I didn't care about hardware RAID features. I thought "how hard can it be?" Turns out, plenty. Let me save you from making the mistakes I made: don't fart around with your SATA adapter card. Get a proper one first time out.

Here's what I tried:

* Two Rosewill RC-209-EX cards won't work. One will work, and then the other craps out, because the BIOSes fight. Fail.
* One Rosewill RC-209-EX card and one SIIG 3114 card won't work. Same deal as two Rosewill RC-209-EXes. Unsurprising, I guess, because they are the same BIOS.
* One PNY SPU5103PPB NetCell-based card (5 SATA!) and either one Rosewill RC-209-EX or one SIIG 3114 card. Fails in exactly the same way, even though it's a completely different architecture. Oh, and, the NetCell BIOS is super-retarded; *every time* it booted up, it would say "Press any key to create a RAID using all your drives" and count down for ten seconds. WTF.

So I gave up on using two cards, and had to find a single card that had 8 SATA ports. They were all several hundred bucks except one: the Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 for $100. This is a PCI-X card. And, lest you think I'm a smart guy, I bought it for my lovely new motherboard which has PCI-Express. Which abbreviates to PCI-E, not PCI-X.

The crazy thing is, it works. PCI-X cards will physically fit into a PCI slot; the "-X" part of the connector (I guess) just dangles off into space. And the cards are designed to support that. PCI-X cards will simply work as normal (non-X) PCI cards. But the big downside here: it meant I was running 8 SATA drives through a single PCI card. Not super performant.

Just last week, in a fit of OMG-my-RAID-is-dying* I threw in the towel and bought the card I should have bought in the first place, a Highpoint RocketRaid 2320. This is PCI-E 4x, 8 SATA, $250. I had to compile their custom kernel driver and throw that into the mix, but once I did that my existing partition mounted first try. And now my partition seems slightly peppier. (Not a lot peppier, though, 'cause I'm using encrypted partitions.)

My advice is: spend the money and get the RocketRaid 2320. If you can't bring yourself to spend $250, you can limp along with the AOC-SAT2-MV8 for $100. But don't bother trying to use any two cards together, 'cause it just won't work.

* Oh, and, the actual problem with my RAID? Flaky SATA cables. Once again, I urge you to learn from my mistakes: if you have a flaky drive, first thing is try replacing the SATA cable. If that fixes the problem, *throw away* the old cable. Hooray!

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

ExoticMandibles posted:

My advice is: spend the money and get the RocketRaid 2320.

My advice is: stay the gently caress away from the RocketRaid 2320

I've actually got a 2320. It's a proper hardware raid card alright. However, it's also a highpoint device. This should be all anyone needs to know to stay the gently caress away. I figured I'd give them one more chance after the hilarity that they were years ago, but it turns out they haven't changed.

The card ran hot. and I mean the PCI bracket ABOVE the card (which secured an exhaust fan) was too hot to touch for more than a few seconds.

It constantly beeps at me at random times, and if I check dmesg, it tells me that the interfaces to all the drives have been reset. Also, if I push significant amounts of data through for a bit, the whole box locks up in a screaming heap, with the raid card making the loudest goddamned beep I ever heard.

I never actually lost any data, but I've taken the card offline and had the entire terrabyte array just sitting idle for months. It's not worth the risk.
Apparently lots and lots of people are having the same problem where it generates about twice as much heat as it's heatsink knows what to do with. and that's not even with any of the raid features activated. that's just with four individual disks reading straight through to the OS.

So yeah, I'm still in the market for a proper SATA Controller that doesn't do hardware raid. It's not often you hear that, is it? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Speaking of non existing equipment, does anyone know of a 4 SATA drive to FW800 (and bonus points for USB and eSATA PM) bridge board? Closest things I've found are 2 drive ones (that have all the interfaces) or an old 4 drive IDE-FW400 one (or eSATA/USB only ones). Is daisy chaining or separate cables/hub my only options? I'm going to be doing a software RAID of some sort so it's not a huge deal, but I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.