Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Just got this bad boy a few weeks ago. Avic F90BT... Pioneer Premier. It is bitchin'.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MMD3 posted:

well would you use aux-in for any components other than the iphone? ie do you have any non-ipod mp3 players?

My wife has a Zune. :(

Also, why is your iPhone B&W?

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 10, 2009

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

ab0z posted:

It may be just a hose cracked and leaking, or the valve that controls the flow of coolant through the core. Usually it's not super complicated to fix those kinds of issues, just annoying because you're working upside down under the dash, or you have to remove the dash.
:( I assume I'm gonna be pulling the dash. Oh well, at least it isn't a head gasket.

I live in the city and I'll have to drive out to my dad's to change the heater out - how much time should I budget to fix the thing, about a day's worth of work?

Also I'm not sure if the topic's been raised yet, and it might be a decent addition to the OP - what are some decent online sites to buy Subaru parts from? Cheapest, most reliable, best service?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Dr JonboyG posted:

My wife has a Zune. :(

Also, why is your iPhone B&W?

ahhh, well you can still find plenty of decks with aux-in... I just checked and there's a $15 aux-in adapter for my deck that plugs into the cd changer terminal and a $25 one for it that plugs into the ipod connection.

I've got the iPhone jailbroken/themed.

Sabotaged
Jul 6, 2004

MMD3 posted:

The other benefit of using the ipod connection is when a call comes in it will automatically fade the music out for the call and then resume again as soon as you hang up... great for bluetooth.

The regular iPhone headset jack does this fadeout/resume for calls as well.

For my LGT, I did the Jazzy aux in mod and am pretty happy with it. I've found though that line out (aka plug the iPhone into the dock it came with, and use the line out on that) sounds much better than the headset jack. However the stock iPhone dock is pretty lovely for a car.

What I've noticed is that there's a little indent in the lid of the center cubby for a cord, and the cover for the cup holders is a perfect resting place to put an iPod/iPhone. I just need to find a decent USB <-> audio cord now, so I can plug it into the bottom of my iPhone. Then everything will be dandy, and very stealth.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
How does everyone administer a seafoaming to their boxer engine? I was going to put it into the brake booster line as I would with other engines but I want to be sure I'm going to get the good stuff into both sides of the engine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
put it through the pcv. the brake booster line will only seafoam cylinder 4.

kaws!
May 25, 2008
Finally picked up my Legacy. I was a bit dissapointed at how slow it is, but its only got a TD05 and rego exhaust, no boost controller. Bought one of these for it, which I think is pretty neatoh;

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-POGYoh6sQ0

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I love my new place. Here is a map with directions to get to the Nashua office park.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad...033045&t=h&z=16

I had to bring someone home last night at 3AM since I am apparently the only one with a car capable of moving in a few inches of unplowed snow. We made a pitstop here since it is right there. By the time we decided we should actually hit the road, we both had a case of motion sickness.

I was a bit disappointed that it was dry pavement underneath the snow, because that's what gave us the motion sickness. Every time your tires would cross a path that you had previously made, you'd get a bit of grip and it made for a fairly jerky ride. The first time I was there, there was a layer of sheer ice under the snow and I was on summer tires. The second time the snow was a lot better (wet snow versus powder). This wasn't that great.

The area is very secluded, though, which is always nice for this sort of thing.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

kaws! posted:

Finally picked up my Legacy. I was a bit dissapointed at how slow it is, but its only got a TD05 and rego exhaust, no boost controller. Bought one of these for it, which I think is pretty neatoh;

Which year legacy, etc?

Kanzen
Jan 4, 2003
Sharpie Pen
Why hello there...

Just got her in late December, and just finished the break in period, and it's been absolutely wonderful. Coming from a '96 Accord, it's pretty much everything I wanted, though I am kind of sad they don't sell the Legacy wagon here anymore...

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
What's up DGM LGT buddy? :hfive: 5spd? Either way, you'll love it. I highly recommend getting a clear-bra on that ASAP.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ssjonizuka posted:

What's up DGM LGT buddy? :hfive: 5spd? Either way, you'll love it. I highly recommend getting a clear-bra on that ASAP.
Agreed.
The only reason i don't have one is that the PO's 30k mi tore up the front end already.
The paint sucks.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

kaws! posted:

Bought one of these for it, which I think is pretty neatoh;

How much was it? How does it get information so fast?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
...And here's the new Legacy Concept. Subaru tends to make their concepts very, very close to the production model - look at the Exiga, for instance - so expect most of this, including that disgusting chrome strip on the back, to make it to production. Dimensions are at least three inches bigger than the current model in all aspects.

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Waffleimages isn't accepting uploads at the moment, so you can find more shots of it - studio and live - here.

I don't know what I think of it yet. I'll wait for the production version to be sure, but I'm not seeing anything terribly new or interesting here. The wheel arches are very TL, and the side profile screams Altima. Not that the BL/BP - which I own and love - is a particularly groundbreaking design either, though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Looks like they've bloated out the Legacy into a full-size car, which I wouldn't have considered it before. Its also powerfully ugly, which is a good and bad thing.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Looks like poo poo.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

8ender posted:

Its also powerfully ugly, which is a good and bad thing.

I fail to see the good in this.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MMD3 posted:

It feels like Subaru is always going, "come on, other manufacturers, I dare you to copy this"

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis
Is there any difference between the Outback XT and Legacy GT wagon besides the taller springs and a few bits of plastic? I desperately want a wagon with a turbo and a stick, and I've been looking at getting an LGT sometime this year if finances allow, but manual LGT wagons are like hen's teeth, whereas Outbacks with the same configuration are much more common (and were made for more than one goddamn year). I don't really mind the looks of the Outback (plus the two-tone finish looks less likely to suffer the death of a thousand stone chips), and whichever wagon I got would be getting new struts and springs pretty soon anyway, so is there any good reason not to expand my search? Also, am I likely to get a better deal if I hold off till spring/summer, when fewer people will care about AWD, much like the way convertibles get cheaper in the winter?

Beerios fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 12, 2009

David Bowie
Aug 12, 2003
Suck the shit out of my asshole you meth-mouthed worthless e-begging fuck. Here is my 10 dollars to the cause you leech on society
I just installed a FP TD06SL2-20G turbo in my 05 Forester this weekend. This was the first time I have installed a turbo and it took me all day and a case of manweisers. The FMIC will be going on this weekend and hopefully I can order my 850cc injectors sometime soon and get it tuned.

With the other supporting mods I have, I am estimating to put down about 350-370 AWHP and about 400 TQ. This will be the definition of Automotive Insanity and speed with no class. I have no exterior modifications, meaning I still have like 5" of ground clearance.

I will be sure to make a thread when all is said and done. Heres the current dyno before the turbo swap. This was with UEL Headers, catless up-pipe, 3" bellmouth downpipe, and a 2.5" Prodrive axleback.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

MMD3 posted:

Its a return to form. Subaru's were starting to look like Toyotas.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

8ender posted:

Its a return to form. Subaru's were starting to look like Toyotas.

You don't think that, apart from the front, the concept looks like a mashup of design elements from other cars in the same segment? There's ugly and there's Subaru ugly. The Brat is Subaru ugly. The XT is Subaru ugly. The bugeye and airplane-snoot Imprezas, to a lesser degree, are Subaru ugly. They're unique. There's nothing that unique about this car except the front, which will undoubtedly be toned down for production. What we'll be left with is a generic midsize sedan that's much bigger, less cohesive looking and probably heavier than its much better looking generic midsize sedan predecessor. With a ghastly chrome strip.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

8ender posted:

Looks like they've bloated out the Legacy into a full-size car, which I wouldn't have considered it before. Its also powerfully ugly, which is a good and bad thing.

It's a bad thing only.

The Liberty was always the sole exception to Subaru ugly - you either viewed it as bland or pretty good looking, depending on taste. This? This is poo poo.

I hope it's changed.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bud Manstrong posted:

You don't think that, apart from the front, the concept looks like a mashup of design elements from other cars in the same segment? There's ugly and there's Subaru ugly. The Brat is Subaru ugly. The XT is Subaru ugly. The bugeye and airplane-snoot Imprezas, to a lesser degree, are Subaru ugly. They're unique. There's nothing that unique about this car except the front, which will undoubtedly be toned down for production. What we'll be left with is a generic midsize sedan that's much bigger, less cohesive looking and probably heavier than its much better looking generic midsize sedan predecessor. With a ghastly chrome strip.

I'm pretty sure I could build those cars (minus the XT) in photoshop by taking parts from other cars. In fact, I could probably do that for just about any car in existence. I like the look of this concept except for the chrome strip and the grille and both will be fixable. Not that I'm going to buy one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Beerios posted:

Is there any difference between the Outback XT and Legacy GT wagon besides the taller springs and a few bits of plastic? I desperately want a wagon with a turbo and a stick, and I've been looking at getting an LGT sometime this year if finances allow, but manual LGT wagons are like hen's teeth, whereas Outbacks with the same configuration are much more common (and were made for more than one goddamn year). I don't really mind the looks of the Outback (plus the two-tone finish looks less likely to suffer the death of a thousand stone chips), and whichever wagon I got would be getting new struts and springs pretty soon anyway, so is there any good reason not to expand my search? Also, am I likely to get a better deal if I hold off till spring/summer, when fewer people will care about AWD, much like the way convertibles get cheaper in the winter?
Much smaller brakes, different rear-end.
Also, the suspension setup is a bit more than just springs. People have to buy different suspension setups for them and good ones are rare.

Kanzen
Jan 4, 2003
Sharpie Pen

ssjonizuka posted:

I thought about it for a second, but every time I drove into San Francisco I'd want to put a gun to my head, so I went with the auto.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Beerios posted:

Is there any difference between the Outback XT and Legacy GT wagon besides the taller springs and a few bits of plastic?

That's mostly right, but the suspension differences are more than just springs. The control arms and subframes are spaced downward to compensate for the added ride height. So you can't just throw on some legacy suspension to drop the car down without seriously loving up suspension geometry. You could maybe take the spacers out but I think even the steering column and shift linkages are different to account for the change.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Kanzen posted:

I thought about it for a second, but every time I drove into San Francisco I'd want to put a gun to my head, so I went with the auto.

I can understand, doesn't mean I'd agree. ;) Either way have fun. I'd say jump on the AP and amaze at the wonders of the stg1 map from cobb. I'm actually selling my AP if you're interested.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Sabotaged posted:

The regular iPhone headset jack does this fadeout/resume for calls as well.

For my LGT, I did the Jazzy aux in mod and am pretty happy with it. I've found though that line out (aka plug the iPhone into the dock it came with, and use the line out on that) sounds much better than the headset jack. However the stock iPhone dock is pretty lovely for a car.

What I've noticed is that there's a little indent in the lid of the center cubby for a cord, and the cover for the cup holders is a perfect resting place to put an iPod/iPhone. I just need to find a decent USB <-> audio cord now, so I can plug it into the bottom of my iPhone. Then everything will be dandy, and very stealth.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for, you can get a cable that plugs into the line out of your iPod/iPhone that has RCA jacks out. Then you don't have to use the dock in your car. I think that might be what you mentioned at the end of your post, but you said USB to audio, so I'm not sure.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Last question on the heater core - will I need to yank the AC to get the old one out and the new one in? If it's just time pulling out the dashboard and putting everything back together I'm ok, but if I gotta mess with the AC unit too I think I'll just get it done at a shop.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is the throttle lag on the 2009 2.5i the same as it was on the 2008? I've heard a few people grumbling about it, but I didn't really notice it during my test drive of the 08. Then again, my current car is agonizingly slow in comparison to base model Corollas.

The WRX did seem 'snappier' than the 2.5i -- is that because of a different ECU throttle map, or mechanical differences? If it's the former, it doesn't seem like you can use AccessPort on the NA machines, is there a way to 'firm up' the throttle?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The stock dbw mapping kind of sucks. We usually change it pretty significantly when we tune cars. Although I feel like it helps you rev-match for some reason.

choo choo
Nov 26, 2002

The Slaughter posted:

Just got this bad boy a few weeks ago. Avic F90BT... Pioneer Premier. It is bitchin'.

My GF and I put one of those bad boys in her WRX a couple months ago. It's a great unit. The new firmware really helped the startup and freezing issues.

Only complaint? The drat GPS nags you like every other kilometer and interrupts your music when you have a route set. Can't turn it off. If you turn down the voice volume, it STILL cuts out your music anyway.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Ugh, small town woes. I got my STi into the dealer and a mechanic took it out. He was afraid to mess with the map so opted for a new o2 sensor. There is some white stuff on the old sensor, I don't know if that's bad or not. At any rate, if I get the flashing cruse again, I'll need to find a tuner shop somewhere near town(Grand Rapids MI)...or a weekend in Chicago or something.

The dealer wanted...wanted to put the stock exhaust back on :smithicide:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
...So I took my 9-2x aero into the dealer in early December with this clicking/slipping in reverse issue. I think I posted about it back then. They looked at it and said they need to either take the transmission apart to figure out what parts they'll need or just order an all new transmission. I guess after waiting on a response from Saab for about a week they finally got the ok to order a brand new transmission and replace the whole thing.

A month later (last Thursday) I get a call that the parts have all finally arrived so I dropped my car off at the dealer Sunday night so they could start on it first thing Monday and hopefully have it done by the end of the day. Near the end of the work day on Monday I get a call that it's taking longer than they expected so they'll hopefully have it done by noon today. I guess this is the first time they've had to replace an MT on one of these (go figure, it's only 3.5 years old). I just got a call an hour ago that apparently they need a few pins and a nut that they didn't order so now they have to overnight those. Uhhh, why didn't you realize this on Monday?

sigh... at least I'm getting a free transmission out of all of this but man it's taking forever to get it sorted out and it was not at all fun to have a half functioning reverse in all of the snow we got.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

MMD3 posted:

...So I took my 9-2x aero into the dealer in early December with this clicking/slipping in reverse issue. I think I posted about it back then. They looked at it and said they need to either take the transmission apart to figure out what parts they'll need or just order an all new transmission. I guess after waiting on a response from Saab for about a week they finally got the ok to order a brand new transmission and replace the whole thing.

A month later (last Thursday) I get a call that the parts have all finally arrived so I dropped my car off at the dealer Sunday night so they could start on it first thing Monday and hopefully have it done by the end of the day. Near the end of the work day on Monday I get a call that it's taking longer than they expected so they'll hopefully have it done by noon today. I guess this is the first time they've had to replace an MT on one of these (go figure, it's only 3.5 years old). I just got a call an hour ago that apparently they need a few pins and a nut that they didn't order so now they have to overnight those. Uhhh, why didn't you realize this on Monday?

sigh... at least I'm getting a free transmission out of all of this but man it's taking forever to get it sorted out and it was not at all fun to have a half functioning reverse in all of the snow we got.
Stinks that you can't just take it to a Subaru dealership. Hope you get it back soon. There should be allowances in the warranty for taking it to Subaru shops for major repairs. Probably less likely you'd have to take it back for more repairs that way.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

The stock dbw mapping kind of sucks. We usually change it pretty significantly when we tune cars. Although I feel like it helps you rev-match for some reason.
Fair enough, but can you tune the 2.5i (i.e. is there an AccessPort-like solution?) It seems the AccessPort-style stuff is all for WRXes and STIs and not for the naturally aspirated guys.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Fair enough, but can you tune the 2.5i (i.e. is there an AccessPort-like solution?) It seems the AccessPort-style stuff is all for WRXes and STIs and not for the naturally aspirated guys.

There might be OpenECU related software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

MMD3 posted:

wow. Someone who knows what they're doing can do it in less than 3 hours.

Mr. Powers posted:

There might be OpenECU related software.

there certainly is. If someone felt inclined to put some cams and an exhaust on their 2.5i some tuning could probably be done to take advantage of that, and some higher octane fuel. You could make, like, 150whp.

oh, so we finished up a rotated 30R sti tonight, and on a fuel mixture that worked out to around 97 octane it made 460whp before the clutch started to slip. We slowed down the spool a bit so he can get by.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 15, 2009