Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Speaking of circulars, what's the set of interchangeables that's recommended around these parts?

I'm drawn to the Denise set, but the Harmony set looks nice as well. Does it really boil down to personal preference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

nolen posted:

Speaking of circulars, what's the set of interchangeables that's recommended around these parts?

I'm drawn to the Denise set, but the Harmony set looks nice as well. Does it really boil down to personal preference?

I've heard good things about the Denises but never used them.

I just got a Knitpicks set for Christmas from my sister in law and it's lovely.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

nolen posted:

I asked about the Denise set earlier in the thread, and the overall opinion seemed to be that while people liked them, they liked the Harmony set better. That's what I got from other websites that I checked too.

The up side of the Denise set though, is that since they're all plastic, you can take them on planes with you. All of the other sets are either metal or partially metal, so no knitting on airplanes. It's not an issue for me since I get so airsick that there's no way I could knit anyway, but my friend is planning on ordering the Denise set instead of the Harmony for that reason alone.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The only problem I've had with Denise is I have broken them in the past by snapping the black connecting part right off. I'm not gentle at all. :(

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.

TSA posted:

Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage. However, there is a possibility that the needles can be perceived as a possible weapon by one of our Security Officers. Our Security Officers have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow said item to pass through security. We recommend the following when bring knitting needles on an airplane:

* Circular knitting needles are recommended to be less than 31 inches in total length
* We recommend that the needles be made of bamboo or plastic (Not Metal)
* Scissors must have blunt points
* In case a Security Officer does not allow your knitting tools through security it is recommended that you carry a self addressed envelope so that you can mail your tools back to yourself as opposed to surrendering them at the security check point.
* As a precautionary measure we recommend that you carry a crochet hook with yarn to save the work you have already done in case your knitting tools are surrendered at the checkpoint

This makes it sound like the small amount of metal in the wooden Harmony needles is not likely to be a problem. Personally, I wouldn't take interchangeables on a flight anyway. If you did lose them to security, it would wreck the set. I'd just invest in a plastic or bamboo pair specifically for the flight.

e: I do find that kind of funny, though. I suppose metal needles might be stronger than wooden, but the Harmony ones at least are much sharper-pointed than any metal needles I have. Seems like bamboo straight needles would be a better way to go if you're trying to avoid injuries with them, rather than a garrote with sharp, pointy ends.

guaranteed fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 30, 2008

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

nolen posted:

I don't like the Denise set at all, the needles are flimsy and the cables are super thick and rigid. I'd rather go for the Knit Picks set.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'll probably end up with the Harmony set, which seems to have the sharpest points.

Time to check with the LYS and see what they carry.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I got some pictures of my mom's Christmas present.

This is Quigley.

And here's what I did with Quigley.

Close up:

Only using four colors takes a lot of the detail out, but I think it's at least recognizable. She knew right away. :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
What a cute idea! :3: And a lot less tacky then sticking the same thing on a sweater.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Finally finished! This scarf ended up being nearly 6 feet in length, and still wasn't long enough for my tastes. But, I ran out of yarn.

It took 6 months to do, little by little, but for my first venture into kitting it turned out quite well. And, my boyfriends mother loved it. That's all I really hoped for.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Windy posted:

Finally finished! This scarf ended up being nearly 6 feet in length, and still wasn't long enough for my tastes. But, I ran out of yarn.

It took 6 months to do, little by little, but for my first venture into kitting it turned out quite well. And, my boyfriends mother loved it. That's all I really hoped for.

I really like the colors you've used. :)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Windy posted:

Do any of you knitters have carpal tunnel? I'm wondering, have you any tricks for working through the pain? Lately I can only knit for about ten minutes, then I have to rest for another 10-15. The scarf I needed for Christmas didn't get done on time because of it :(

Honestly, I never did figure out a solution. It completely sucks because I just don't knit much other than really quick projects these days. I think you honestly just have to take lots of breaks and just keep a timer nearby so you don't get too wrapped up.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Ozma posted:

Honestly, I never did figure out a solution. It completely sucks because I just don't knit much other than really quick projects these days. I think you honestly just have to take lots of breaks and just keep a timer nearby so you don't get too wrapped up.

Yeah, it does suck. I can crochet all night but for some reason I can't knit for too long unless I'm having a good day. I think it might just be a case of holding the needles wrong, but I can't find a way to hold them other than what's comfortable, which kills the wrists.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
40 hours, almost $100 worth of yarn, and a bunch of Mcguyvered gigantic circular needles resulted in this:

A very heavy, slightly ridiculous cabled skirt.

Excuse me modeling it badly here. The rest of the costume isn't finished yet.

Click here for the full 1440x1080 image.

So two dowels, a piece of monofiliment and some Gorilla glue will in fact make a decent pair of 60" cable needles. I bought the Boye set with the intention of using it for this project, but I snapped the threads inside the needles three times before giving up and writing them a nasty note.

I'm a bit miffed the dye didn't take evenly on all the yarn, but I'm happy with the rest of it. It started at a sock-weight yarn, and the last couple rows were four strands of comically thick, rope-like wool.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
That's pretty awesome! For some reason I keep trying to imagine it as a hood though, with an extra little cowl neckpiece at the top.

My new sock project:

edit: a question: I bought the KnitPicks Harmony wood sock needles, and they are so much smoother than my bamboo DPNs. Does this mean my gauge will become looser than before, since I can't pull on the yarn as tight?

jomiel fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 10, 2009

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

That's a really cool skirt, Goldaline! What kind of costume is it going to be?

Jomiel, your socks are beautiful. :)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

My KnitPicks Harmony (wood) Options needles came in the mail yesterday, and man are they gorgeous. :swoon:

Thanks to all who recommended them to me. If I hadn't asked, I would have bought the Denise set, and these seem so much nicer. They're surprisingly smooth for wooden needles, and a much more pleasing weight than bamboo needles. I know some people appreciate how light bamboo is, but to me bamboo feels flimsy.

Now I'm itching to use them, but I already have two crochet projects scheduled for this weekend.

EDIT: I did notice that just a few days after I placed my order, KnitPicks raised the price on the Harmony Options set. I paid $69, and now the site lists them as $75. Glad I bought when I did.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

jomiel posted:

That's pretty awesome! For some reason I keep trying to imagine it as a hood though, with an extra little cowl neckpiece at the top.

My new sock project:

edit: a question: I bought the KnitPicks Harmony wood sock needles, and they are so much smoother than my bamboo DPNs. Does this mean my gauge will become looser than before, since I can't pull on the yarn as tight?

Ooooh...what pattern is that?

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
Hey, I've scanned the thread, but I don't think I've seen anything about "willie warmers." I want to knit one for my boyfriend, and I've found a few patterns online, but I'm kinda perplexed. I've only knitted basic scarves and I've never used a pattern. Normally, I'd ask my dad for help, but that'd be awkward. Has anyone made one before? None of the patterns had photos. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Here are a few patterns:
http://www.knitlist.com/01gift/Seamless.htm
http://queerjoe.com/patterns/Willie_Warmer_Pattern.htm
http://hearthwench.tripod.com/kwillie.html

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004

Spanish Inquisition posted:

http://hearthwench.tripod.com/kwillie.html

Actually, a GIS leads to a picture from the same site as your final link here: http://hearthwench.tripod.com/warmers.html, and a GIS shows lots of other pictures from other sites, too.

I've never made one of them, though. I'm not sure what you are asking otherwise--are you confused about some of the terminology, as you haven't worked from a pattern before? http://www.knittinghelp.com is an invaluable resource for showing you how to do certain stitches, but that last pattern you linked looks pretty straightforward. The only thing I see that may be different for you is that it involves some crochet.

edit: Actually, that queerjoe site you linked also has a picture linked on the very bottom of the page, too.

boobookitty fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 12, 2009

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!
There's a poster who made a penis cozy on the first page.

Basically, you're just going to make a small tube and do some decreases at the end to close it up. After looking at your patterns, I think I'd go with the third one if I were you. The Queer Joe seems to leave a lot of variables up to the knitter, which isn't a bad thing, but may be more than you want to handle for your first pattern. The Danglie Bits one is a seamed warmer, and I think if I were a guy, I wouldn't want a seam down there. To do a seamless one you'll have to learn to knit in the round, though (it's not as hard as it looks).

Here's another pattern. It's a knitted condom, but petty much the same thing, and it's really simple since it's just stockinette and it doesn't have a sac warmer (and has a pic!): http://theanticraft.com/archive/lugh06/familyplanning.htm

Go with a soft yarn, maybe mohair? A soft cotton would also be good and wouldn't get too hot.

TauntTheOctopi fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 12, 2009

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
Thanks a lot guys. I guess I went through the thread too fast, sorry. I've already picked out a super soft organic cotton yarn. I'm pretty excited!

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Ooooh...what pattern is that?
Thanks guys :D

Uptown Boot Socks from the Favorite Socks book.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

jomiel posted:

Thanks guys :D

Uptown Boot Socks from the Favorite Socks book.

You say boot sock, but I don't see myself ever being able to wear those with boots without coming away with really strange sock lines on my leg. :P

Anyway I'm working on my first large project omg omg here's the rav link. God I hope it turns out ok I'm worried about the picking up stitches thing I have to do for the arms/neck.

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Hey I just recently joined Raverly, I was wondering if there's a Goon knitting crew there?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I have one, but I keep forgetting that the site exists until someone mentions it.

Like right now!

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Viewers Like Me posted:

Hey I just recently joined Raverly, I was wondering if there's a Goon knitting crew there?

http://www.ravelry.com/groups/show-me-your-knits

:haw:

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT
Oh my god, I got both Harmony Interchangeables *and* Addi Clicks for christmas this year.

Trust me on this one guys, if you can get your hands on the Addi Clicks and you want a set of interchangeable needles, get these.

The harmonys are nice too and I am keeping both sets, but those addis... Oh. My. God.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

teknicolor posted:

You say boot sock, but I don't see myself ever being able to wear those with boots without coming away with really strange sock lines on my leg. :P

Anyway I'm working on my first large project omg omg here's the rav link. God I hope it turns out ok I'm worried about the picking up stitches thing I have to do for the arms/neck.

Picking up stitches freaked me out the first time I did it, too. A good idea is to divide the area you're picking the stitches up from into sections and divide the number of stitches you need to pick up so you know you need X number of stitches picked up in each section - it's easier than making 100 stitches fit evenly into a whole armscrye or whatever.

I had to pick up something like 400 stitches around a shawl a while back and doing that was the only way to save my sanity.

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

Nothing but numbers and noise.

Mnemosyne posted:

My KnitPicks Harmony (wood) Options needles came in the mail yesterday, and man are they gorgeous. :swoon:

Thanks to all who recommended them to me. If I hadn't asked, I would have bought the Denise set, and these seem so much nicer. They're surprisingly smooth for wooden needles, and a much more pleasing weight than bamboo needles. I know some people appreciate how light bamboo is, but to me bamboo feels flimsy.

Now I'm itching to use them, but I already have two crochet projects scheduled for this weekend.

EDIT: I did notice that just a few days after I placed my order, KnitPicks raised the price on the Harmony Options set. I paid $69, and now the site lists them as $75. Glad I bought when I did.

How long did yours take to ship? I ordered mine like a week ago, and I am not good at this whole waiting thing. I opted for the metal ones instead.

Oh! Since this is my first post in the knitting thread:
On Ravelry I'm NumbersAndNoise. I've been knitting since about Thanksgiving this year.

Edit: Just as I post this, they show up the next morning. I'll see how they compare to my Boye Needlemaster kit.

NumbersAndNoise fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 14, 2009

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I wanted to buy a set of Harmony straight needles from KnitPicks, but sadly they're more than the Options set. Would it be better for me to just buy the options then in case I ever need circulars? I haven't quite advanced past using just the three sized needles I have, and would like to branch out into trying new projects.

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

Windy posted:

I wanted to buy a set of Harmony straight needles from KnitPicks, but sadly they're more than the Options set. Would it be better for me to just buy the options then in case I ever need circulars? I haven't quite advanced past using just the three sized needles I have, and would like to branch out into trying new projects.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm still pretty new, but you'll probably be fine with the Options set. They can be used as flexible straight needles, if you really insist on straight, and pretty much everything you can do on straight needles you can work on circs. When working flat on circulars, it works pretty much exactly the same.

Edit: Also, if you decide to branch out to projects that claim to require doublepoints, you can just order a second set of tips in the same size and work on double circulars, save yourself a lot of trouble. Doublepoints are a pain in the rear end, and this renders them pretty much unnecessary.

NumbersAndNoise fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 14, 2009

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

DownloadTHIS posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm still pretty new, but you'll probably be fine with the Options set. They can be used as flexible straight needles, if you really insist on straight, and pretty much everything you can do on straight needles you can work on circs. When working flat on circulars, it works pretty much exactly the same.

Edit: Also, if you decide to branch out to projects that claim to require doublepoints, you can just order a second set of tips in the same size and work on double circulars, save yourself a lot of trouble. Doublepoints are a pain in the rear end, and this renders them pretty much unnecessary.

Thanks for the advice. I've never used circulars yet so they're kind of in the "oooh scary" category. But I'd like to try cables soon, and socks. I've set a goal to make a cardigan, or at least start on one, by the end of this year.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Definitely go for the circs, you can use them instead of straights for almost anything.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
I just started working on "Hey, Teach!" (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer08/PATTheyteach.html) the other day, and so far I love it. I'm using some Cotton-Ease that I got on sale awhile back, in the color Charcoal. It's my first piece of clothing, outside of a Liesl cardigan that I have sort of abandoned for the time being and will probably frog.

Goldaline posted:

I bought the Boye set with the intention of using it for this project, but I snapped the threads inside the needles three times before giving up and writing them a nasty note.

Ugh, this has happened to me TWICE in the last week. I'm really disappointed with these things...they turned out not to be such a great bargain after all. Unfortunately I can't afford another set right now, so I'm going to try and get my hands on some extra cables for them...does anyone want to sell theirs?

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Aardvarklet posted:

I just started working on "Hey, Teach!" (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer08/PATTheyteach.html) the other day, and so far I love it. I'm using some Cotton-Ease that I got on sale awhile back, in the color Charcoal. It's my first piece of clothing, outside of a Liesl cardigan that I have sort of abandoned for the time being and will probably frog.

I finished knitting this sweater in that exact same yarn a few months ago. It really is a fun pattern. The arm shaping tripped me up a little bit when I first encountered it, but as soon as I figured it out it was a breeze. It's currently folded up into a pile, waiting to be blocked/seamed, though.

I've just started Evangeline with some old yarn that I'm trying to use up. I'm making the longer version, so hopefully I won't be sick of it by the time I finish one of them.

Also, I got the Options set (nickel-plated) for Christmas and oh my god I love it so much

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I love fingerless gloves/armwarmers, but if you do the long versions, what on earth do you wear them with? Do you wear short sleeves in the winter? Or only tops baggy enough to fit the armwarmers underneath? I love making them, I love the way they look, but I cannot figure out how to wear them practically in the real world (except for maybe a couple weeks during fall).

Also, I have leftover Plymouth Encore (worsted-weight wool blend) in white -- about half a skein, 85 yards. I just don't know what to do because it's white -- I don't want something that will get dingy quickly, and I also don't want to experiment with dyeing. I have the same in brown, about 150 yards, that would pair well if there's a suitable project that just needs more yardage.

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

Aardvarklet posted:

Ugh, this has happened to me TWICE in the last week. I'm really disappointed with these things...they turned out not to be such a great bargain after all. Unfortunately I can't afford another set right now, so I'm going to try and get my hands on some extra cables for them...does anyone want to sell theirs?

Ah. Had that happen to one of the cables on my Boye set too. I thought it was my fault, and felt like a dumbass. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who did it.

Doesn't your kit have an order form for replacement parts in it? Mine does.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I don't know how many of you here are also nerds, but The Sun has the Sackboy (from Little Big Planet) pattern from Simply Knitting for download.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fun/gizmo/article2056598.ece

I don't even own a PS3 and I want to make it.

It's an Alan Dart pattern, too! I love it when my two favorite past times come together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

DownloadTHIS posted:

I've only dabbled a little bit with knitting in the round (due to the fact that I was using those annoying Clover bamboo circulars with the super stiff cables), so correct me if this is wrong. I've read that you don't actually need a second set of the same size tips for knitting in the round with two circulars. Since you're only technically knitting with two of the tips, and then sliding the work down/back around to the other end, the ends that you are knitting off of can technically be one size smaller than the tips you're knitting on to. Then you don't have to buy a second set of tips of the same size.

EDIT: This is making me really, really tempted to pick up my new Options needles and test out knitting in the round again now that I have some appropriate needles, but I have an unfinished crochet project that's staring me in the face and I promised myself I wouldn't start a new project until I finished this one. Why is the temptation to start a million projects all at once so great? I blame Ravelry.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 15, 2009