Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Laopooh posted:

But if my music isn't sorted or tagged properly how can I find it? Like I have a folder titled 'electronica' with hundreds of random songs that I've collected in it but when I import it to iTunes it seems to get scattered all over the place. I managed to get it by making a smart playlist using items added today as criteria but that seems awful kludgy. Does iTunes really not let me keep my music sorted the way I like it?

Just put all those songs into itunes by themselves, change all of their genres to electronica and there you go. Same with all your other folders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I think iTunes only sorts music by tags, not by directory structure.

I assume your last mp3 player was just drag-and-drop? (I wish iTunes/iPods were like this :( )

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 9, 2009

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Laopooh posted:

Does iTunes really not let me keep my music sorted the way I like it?

Pretty much no..

iTunes sucks with random songs and compilations.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

FidgetyRat posted:

Pretty much no..

iTunes sucks with random songs and compilations.

Basically. With compilations I name the song titles as Artist - Title, and rename the artist as Various. I end up with all my soundtracks and such under Various, but it works fine for me. Better than having 50 artists with 1 song each.

confusion2005
Jan 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump

Astro7x posted:

Anyway, I have a new problem. I've noticed that my iPod Touch keeps changing the date and time. I'm syncing on the same computer I always do which has the correct date and time, and I'm the only one using it so I know somebody isn't messing with it. It's a little frustrating when it's off by about half an hour and I'm using it as my primary clock when I forget my watch. But the weirdest thing was that yesterday the day was off and said it was November 4th.

Could it be some Ap that has taken over the calendar?

I havent had this problem myself, but i would double check which time zone you have your computer set for and which time zone the ipod is set for.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Yup, my last one was drag and drop. That's kind of annoying that Apple forces you to use their system. Thanks for the suggestions though! I'll do what Alfalfa said and use a tag editor to rename all the genres of my music in each folder. That should do the trick.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Laopooh posted:

Yup, my last one was drag and drop. That's kind of annoying that Apple forces you to use their system. Thanks for the suggestions though! I'll do what Alfalfa said and use a tag editor to rename all the genres of my music in each folder. That should do the trick.

On the bright side, I do like apple's file system. I never put anything on my ipod thats not a full album anyway, and having music import with its tags auto filled, the artwork downloaded, and placed in to neat folders is nice for someone like me.

But yes, its a step away from what most other companies do..

Now all we need is the ability to share libraries over a network properly so my fiance and I don't need 2 copies of everything we own.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

FidgetyRat posted:

Now all we need is the ability to share libraries over a network properly so my fiance and I don't need 2 copies of everything we own.

The sharing over a network thing is never going to happen, I bet. Don't share music and all that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

FidgetyRat posted:

Probably not what you're talking about, but you can share music files easily enough. Non-iTMS songs, at least.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Probably not what you're talking about, but you can share music files easily enough. Non-iTMS songs, at least.

Na its not. I'd rather each computer retain the .xml library files, but allow the actual files to reside on a NAS disk, but you absolutely MUST have your files local on the machine to use itunes or it tries to put the actual library files on the NAS and things get messy with 2 people. Then you have to select your library files every-time, etc.. Big mess.

The sharing of songs also doesn't let you use album art or play counts, etc.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

FidgetyRat posted:

... but you absolutely MUST have your files local on the machine to use itunes or it tries to put the actual library files on the NAS and things get messy with 2 people.
I don't think this is necessarily correct. Here's what works for me: I set my "iTunes Music folder location" (in iTunes Edit/Preferences/Advanced tab) to a local directory, and then use the "File/Add Folder to Library" command to add the shared network directory to my library. This keeps my library files on the local computer, but allows me to access the shared network drive for the music files. Granted, this method does not automatically update your library if you add/remove songs to the network share folder, but I run a freeware program called iTunes Library Updater for that.

quote:

The sharing of songs also doesn't let you use album art or play counts, etc.

You may have a point there. I have the artwork embedded in my .mp3 files, and never did anything with play counts.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

There's been some rumors circulating that Apple's been working on a home server that is supposed to have support for house-wide itunes libraries.. But that was supposed to be for Macworld.

Maybe people mistook that for the HP file server they DID update at macworld. But that just has an itunes share server (something you can do with FreeNas and again doesn't work like you really want it to.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

FidgetyRat posted:

There's been some rumors circulating that Apple's been working on a home server that is supposed to have support for house-wide itunes libraries.. But that was supposed to be for Macworld.

What I would like is if Apple really took the library thing to its logical conclusion and let several library entries point to the same file, with the

If you have compilations or soundtracks, and then the albums they came from, and then the monthly chart compilation, you end up with several copies of the same file wasting disk space.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

It's an iTunes question, but it was the Touch I just bought that forced me to upgrade to iTunes 8, so I'll ask here.

The first time I launched iTunes 8, it asked something about building artowrk thumbnails. It never seems to have actually done this since it takes a while to redraw the album artwork when I am paging through the music. (and my Touch's cover flow is missing artwork for songs that have embedded art.)

Is there some way to force the thumbnails to be drawn and stored? Does iTunes make thumbnails for embedded art? Do embedded art albums not display in CoverFlow unless the thumbnails have been drawn?

TuxRacer69
May 6, 2007

by Fragmaster
So I got a big ol' compilation of single tracks by various artists, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to make it so that all the artists don't show up when I scroll through the artists. I thought that setting album artist would do the trick, but it doesn't seem to. Anyone know how to hide artists from the artist list?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

TuxRacer69 posted:

So I got a big ol' compilation of single tracks by various artists, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to make it so that all the artists don't show up when I scroll through the artists. I thought that setting album artist would do the trick, but it doesn't seem to. Anyone know how to hide artists from the artist list?

Nope, One of those stupid quirks about the ipod.. If you think about it, its actually doing what its supposed to.. Shows you the list of artists you have on the iPod, even if its only 1 song. Same applies to albums.

You can mark a compilation album as a compilation under get info and that will help with the sorting and the album view, but I believe it still keeps artists separate.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

TuxRacer69 posted:

What I do is make the album name the artist, and use "Artist-Track Name" as the song name. An imperfect solution but it works for me. It's probably a pain if you have several compilations, but there might be an iTunes script out there that automates it.

Lard on Fork
Feb 22, 2006
I mean I will holler at it
I'm going to call Apple about this problem tomorrow but I'd figure I'd ask you guys to see if you've had anything similar happen:

This past weekend I had a conference to head to for the weekend so I brought my 2nd gen Touch along for the trip. I turned it off Friday night, woke up 6 hours later the next morning and the thing wouldn't turn on. The only screen I could get after holding the home and power button was the black screen showing just the apple. I didn't bring my charger with me, so I couldn't try charging it (even though I knew there was plenty of battery power left).

I just got home a few hours ago, plugged it in to my computer, and it turned on again after about a minute, having as much battery life remaining as when I turned it off Friday night. It is now functioning fine with no problems.

Anyone have a problem like this, or have any idea why it wouldn't turn on for me this past weekend, even with plenty of battery life left?

EDIT: After playing around with it a bit I realized that none of the apps are working. I click on them, it goes to the beginning screen for about 3 seconds, then goes immediately back to home.

Lard on Fork fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 12, 2009

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.

Lard on Fork posted:

I'm going to call Apple about this problem tomorrow but I'd figure I'd ask you guys to see if you've had anything similar happen:

This past weekend I had a conference to head to for the weekend so I brought my 2nd gen Touch along for the trip. I turned it off Friday night, woke up 6 hours later the next morning and the thing wouldn't turn on. The only screen I could get after holding the home and power button was the black screen showing just the apple. I didn't bring my charger with me, so I couldn't try charging it (even though I knew there was plenty of battery power left).

I just got home a few hours ago, plugged it in to my computer, and it turned on again after about a minute, having as much battery life remaining as when I turned it off Friday night. It is now functioning fine with no problems.

Anyone have a problem like this, or have any idea why it wouldn't turn on for me this past weekend, even with plenty of battery life left?

EDIT: After playing around with it a bit I realized that none of the apps are working. I click on them, it goes to the beginning screen for about 3 seconds, then goes immediately back to home.

I had some problems getting on the Internet with my 2nd Gen Touch. I wasn't able to connect to ANY Internet, even the one at the Apple store. I fixed it with a master reset. You could try that after you back up all your stuff on iTunes.

Edit: Can anyone recommend a good running/jogging/workout case for my 2nd Gen Touch? I have looked for some and either cant find any or they weren't what I was looking for.

Kwosge fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 12, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
The whole "app starting then quitting" thing is annoying but no one knows what causes it. The first time it happened to me I returned it, second time it happened on Sunday morning (many moons ago), and by lunch it worked again, and I've had it ever since. Weird.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 12, 2009

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

The whole "app starting then quitting" thing is annoying but no one knows what causes it. The first time it happened to me I returned it, second time it happened on Sunday morning, and by lunch it worked again, and I've had it ever since. Weird.

Yeah, I really hope 2.3 solves some of these strange crash issues.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't think this is necessarily correct. Here's what works for me: I set my "iTunes Music folder location" (in iTunes Edit/Preferences/Advanced tab) to a local directory, and then use the "File/Add Folder to Library" command to add the shared network directory to my library. This keeps my library files on the local computer, but allows me to access the shared network drive for the music files. Granted, this method does not automatically update your library if you add/remove songs to the network share folder, but I run a freeware program called iTunes Library Updater for that.

I have a Mac so that Library Updater program doesn't work for me, but I'm in the same boat. I keep all my music files on a USB hard drive connected to another computer on the network. How can I have it so whenever I put a folder in there it adds it automatically?

One more thing I'm going to crosspost too:

I want to get lyrics to the songs in my iTunes and remember I had a Windows program that did it almost instantly, it was sick. Now I'm on a Mac and can't seem to find anything that works. I used PearLyrics and while it can listen to my iTunes, it hasn't picked one song up yet. I'm talking easy songs, I don't listen to crazy weird music (Foo Fighters/Our Lady Peace etc).

Anything else I can do to get all the lyrics? I don't care if it's something I have to leave on overnight, just something that works.

Thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 13, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I have an iPod Touch 2G and I need a good armband case for it for the gym/running/biking/etc. However, I already have an incipio hardcase for it and I'd like to avoid having to take that off to fit it into the armband.

Any suggestions?

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Anything else I can do to get all the lyrics? I don't care if it's something I have to leave on overnight, just something that works.

GimmeSomeTune can do this, it usually saves the lyrics into itunes within the first couple of seconds the song has been playing, so you could probably automate it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
How useful is a Touch as a secondary internet option? My Blackberry doesn't have wifi and the high-speed signal at home is often poor.

Are 2nd-gen refurbs still a long way off? Or should I just go with Amazon (I think it's ~$215 tax-free for the 8 there).

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I don't have a laptop so I use mine as a secondary when I'm in the den or somewhere away from my desktop and want to check something real quick. It does the job pretty well. I've also used AIM on it but it drains the battery pretty drat quick. But my one complaint about the AIM app is that you can't turn it sideways to get the wider keyboard.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

How useful is a Touch as a secondary internet option? My Blackberry doesn't have wifi and the high-speed signal at home is often poor.

Are 2nd-gen refurbs still a long way off? Or should I just go with Amazon (I think it's ~$215 tax-free for the 8 there).

The touch has the same browser as the Iphone so it has all the pluses and all the flaws.

No simple option to open in a new instance or tabs. There is a little trick around this, but it isn't ideal.
No flash. This is really annoying on occasion. You forget how much of the net is flash videos now.
No select/cut n paste. Not a huge issue, but when it comes up you will get pissed off.
No PDF support - Again not a big deal until you need it, and then it pisses you off.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Hey guys, me again.

Just wanted to let you know that I found a solution to the x64 woes:

http://yukichigai.googlepages.com/iphonex64

This is a comprehensive and easy to follow guide to getting your iPod Touch working with 64bit Windows XP. There probably aren't a lot of people suffering from this problem, but I was one of them and this guide saved me.

I can now use my Touch. Yay!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Blackberry browser can't do any of that either, with the exception of c&p, so that's pretty good then.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Juriko posted:

The touch has the same browser as the Iphone so it has all the pluses and all the flaws.

No simple option to open in a new instance or tabs. There is a little trick around this, but it isn't ideal.
No flash. This is really annoying on occasion. You forget how much of the net is flash videos now.
No select/cut n paste. Not a huge issue, but when it comes up you will get pissed off.
No PDF support - Again not a big deal until you need it, and then it pisses you off.

About the PDF support, that's mostly a non issue now because most doc viewers can handle pdfs and some will even integrate into the os to auto-load into the viewer.

The others do suck. Especially flash and apple's stance/reasons for not including it ever.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Zigmidge posted:

The others do suck. Especially flash and apple's stance/reasons for not including it ever.

What possible reason could there be for not including Flash?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Because you could run unsigned applications, creating potential security vulnerabilities.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Mobile flash is a piece of poo poo missing many of the features it should have, regular flash runs like a dog. Apple said it's either all or nothing and Adobes response at this point is nothing.

They have hinted at there being something in the works, but there has been no announcement.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Juriko posted:

Mobile flash is a piece of poo poo missing many of the features it should have, regular flash runs like a dog. Apple said it's either all or nothing and Adobes response at this point is nothing.

They have hinted at there being something in the works, but there has been no announcement.

Not to mention the addition of flash would make "web apps" a whole lot more powerful not to mention games. Would cut into the app store for sure.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

eenmachine posted:

Not to mention the addition of flash would make "web apps" a whole lot more powerful not to mention games. Would cut into the app store for sure.

Kind of but not really. The convenience factor wouldn't be there, and without a good deal of overhauling flash games would run like poo poo when compared to a native app version. Base support flash games also would have no access to multi-touch or tilt functionality. Without upgrades flash would be very bare bones when compared to what you can support with a native application. I think web apps themselves would fair way better than games, and as it stands now flash isn't really driving them.

Adobes better bet would be to make a flash package with all of the required control updates and release it as an engine for developing apps.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Juriko posted:

Adobes response at this point is nothing.

It's Apple's responsibility, not Adobe's. I don't think Adobe is going to put the money into developing a version of flash to work with the iphone/ipod when Apple isn't making any effort.

Pristine Shits
Dec 11, 2004

Wow, thanks for the heads up on stanza guys. Any news on the jailbreaking front

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Super Dude posted:

It's Apple's responsibility, not Adobe's. I don't think Adobe is going to put the money into developing a version of flash to work with the iphone/ipod when Apple isn't making any effort.

How is it Apples responsibility? Adobe has been neglecting their mobile version of flash for a while, and Apple is just the first company to be in a position to seriously call them on it. Apples response was that their mobile version of flash needed to be functionally the same as their desktop version, or that there needed to be an other option. How do you expect Apple to make an effort. It isn't their product.

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

http://www.redsn0w.com/
Well, looks like the iPhone dev team has successfully done a jailbreak on the 2G iPod touch.
Should be something released within the next few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

My touch refuses to have a specific podcast episode (the most recent Giant Bombcast, if it matters) on it. Clicking and dragging through iTunes doesn't do anything. The episode will download through the iTunes app but won't be listed on the menu of podcast episodes. What's more, downloading it directly to the touch increases the 'other' allocation of memory by about 60 megs - the size of the episode.
Any advice? Other podcasts load just fine.

Contingency Plan fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 15, 2009

• Locked thread