Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

I was mostly being snarky but talking about "sustain" at that level of generality is pretty useless, I've played bolt-ons that would sustain while you go make a sandwich and still be sounding when you get done eating it, and I've played set neck guitars that were pretty dead on the whole. Sustain has to do with a hell of a lot of factors beyond what the neck is made of. You're not guaranteeing anything in that regard by using an aluminum neck. As far as a bright tone, can't argue with that I guess.

That's true, but I think you can guarantee an increase in sustain if you're swapping out a wooden neck for an otherwise identical metal one, just because of the difference in densities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I would think so, too, but there might be some compromise in the difference in the neck joint - material differences affect the way that energy transmits between two adjacent surfaces, though I'm not sure exactly what effect it would have. With sound waves it would definitely be a non-negligible effect, that much is for sure, but I don't know if it would be detrimental to the goal of using an aluminum neck. But without knowing the math behind it, I think you're right about that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

SteelWav posted:

Another drum machine. I bought this one for the 80s sounding toms and drums. The bassdrum and the snare sound like toms, but more punchy.

There's one where they've truly modded the gently caress out of it and that sounds wild.

How's that SH2000 doing? I think it was on some older Mike Oldfield albums for the typical whistle and I've seen 'm go away for relatively cheap.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

I don't know for sure yet, this thing is like 10 degrees right now so I'm letting it warm up, and I have no amp in my office. It should be mag volume, piezo volume, passive tone, treble mid bass, with the switch for coil tap on the pickup. I gave Chris a lot more leeway on this one so that's why I'm not so sure.

Ghost piezo bridge saddles, Nordstrand dual coil, Aguilar OBP3, and a Bart piezo buffer. gently caress. Yes.

Dammit I need money :rant:

and I say again..

:argh: STAAAAAMBAAAAUUUUUGH!!! :argh:

edit: If you dont mind, could you give a ball-park figure for what you dropped on that?

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

the wizards beard posted:

That's true, but I think you can guarantee an increase in sustain if you're swapping out a wooden neck for an otherwise identical metal one, just because of the difference in densities.

It will be negligible, typically. The reason aluminum necks got the big reputation of sustain was because of Travis Bean guitars, but Travis Bean guitars didn't just have an aluminum neck, for the most part they were neck-throughs with aluminum cores (into which the pickups were directly mounted, no less). As soon as you take an aluminum neck and bolt it to a wooden guitar body, you're introducing a whole new aspect to the equation, and you may or may not see improvements (or deficiencies), but they will most likely be negligible unless you are replacing a completely poo poo wood neck with a well-made aluminum neck. Kind of the same deal with with upgrading your Floyd Rose saddles with titanium replacements and your Floyd Rose sustain block with 42mm titanium replacement; you'll see improvements, but probably not enough to be worth the investment in and of itself (in the case of the Floyd Rose upgrades, those two would run you about $2200), so you'd basically be buying the upgrades simply because you want them, not because of what they afford. Unless your tone requires the harsh, uncomfortable, piercingly shrill high end you can only strangle out of an aluminum neck (a la Big Black), an aluminum neck won't be one of those fundamental "necessities" to your tone.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Scarf posted:

Dammit I need money :rant:

and I say again..

:argh: STAAAAAMBAAAAUUUUUGH!!! :argh:

edit: If you dont mind, could you give a ball-park figure for what you dropped on that?

Within $50 of how much a Musicman Stingray 5 with piezo's costs on MF.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

Within $50 of how much a Musicman Stingray 5 with piezo's costs on MF.

Wow, that's not too bad at all. I dunno why I always equate Stambaugh's with huge prices. I guess because they look so drat nice.

I've never even gotten the chance to play with a piezo bass. You should put up some clips once it reaches room temperature.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Yoozer posted:

There's one where they've truly modded the gently caress out of it and that sounds wild.

How's that SH2000 doing? I think it was on some older Mike Oldfield albums for the typical whistle and I've seen 'm go away for relatively cheap.

My SH2000 is doing fine thank you. It's not perfect though, the second C# contact is a bit hard to trigger because it's kind of lower, and I might need to reclean all the contacts better with alcohol. I've let it collect some dust in the past months, but now I've recorded some stuff with it again recently and I'm still amazed by the typical 70s classic sci-fi sounds it has (that whistle, amongst many others) and the amount of control it gives you (five different settings for aftertouch, manual filter, one LFO, etc) when compared to the fact that you can't edit any sound. Wonderful filter too, I think mine is a Moog clone according to the serial number. I had it for 50 bucks so I can't regret it.

I'm gonna look out for the modded DR-220.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Agreed posted:

You guys with aluminum necks might think it's awesome to have a metal guitar neck and everything, but the first time you have to play outside when it's really cold, you're going to realize why they stopped making guitars and basses with aluminum necks, as you try to peel your hands off the instrument after the first set and realize you'll be leaving most of your palm on the neck.

Next purchase:

Directional heat lamp. :cool:

Also gently caress anything about sustain and brightness I just got an aluminum neck because it's bad-rear end.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

It's been awhile and this is long overdue.

Agile Intrepid Pro 8:

Schecter S1 in Vintage Cherry (I installed Q-Tuner Super High Zs in it):

Peavey Wiggy:

Schecter 2003 Jazz Elite Prototype full hollowbody:

Please excuse half the pics coming out extremely lovely. I am not a cameraman.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Wow, that hollowbody is gorgeous dude.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

non-iphone pictures of my new bass

booya

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Cliiiiiiiiiiiiips.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

warwick5s posted:

Stambaughs

I'm frightened to think you don't even own a Warwick anymore. :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Mods please rename warwick5s to Stambaugh5s

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Minto Took posted:

I'm frightened to think you don't even own a Warwick anymore. :(

need name change real bad

a clip! I haven't played fretless in a year before today, so the playing is pretty junky but don't pay attention to that. First bit is mag pickup, middle is both blended, end is piezo only

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 16, 2009

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Please excuse half the pics coming out extremely lovely. I am not a cameraman.

First thing I saw: the reflection of the poster

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish
Two monosynths, a drum machine, a sequencer, an effects unit and a mixer. Fits right in my pocket.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Got most of the electronics (original 60's), the pickguard (repro), and the tuners (repro) this week. Body's on the way.

jedibeavis
Mar 23, 2004

Bag 'em & tag 'em, Sarah!

Excuse me, Agent Walker.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Bought my first acoustic guitar yesterday, an Ibanez AEL20EVV. Looking online for reviews I found pretty much nothing but universal praise for this thing (considering the price). The hardest part to get was the case, because I guess Ibanez uses the same case for all its AEL models and apparently they had a really good Christmas.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I currently have this on its way to me. It's an Electric Amps MV120 head. EL34 120W version. I FINALLY have something to replace that Matamp Roadster I sold last year.

(My host. Don't freak out. hah)

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I'm fukcin jealous. What's the story with Electric, I know they go for the Orange/Matamp sound, but are they an off-shoot or are they just independently making clones?

I see Matamps fairly often at gigs in this part of the world, never an Electric.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

I'm fukcin jealous. What's the story with Electric, I know they go for the Orange/Matamp sound, but are they an off-shoot or are they just independently making clones?

I see Matamps fairly often at gigs in this part of the world, never an Electric.

Ok I'm going to try and tell the story to the best of my memory..

The guys at Electric Amp used to be Matamp USA. They were the shop Matamp shipped to as their front for Matamp sales in the United States. They were also the repair and warranty shop for them. After a while, it became apparent to them that Matamp UK was cutting corners in a few ways after Matamp USA started getting a lot of returns or even amps DOA new out of the box. There's bad blood between the two shops because of things like amps ordered and paid for not showing up over here. The Matamp USA guys got so familiar with the inside of the Matamp amps after so many repairs that, one day, they realized they could build their own design instead. They went for all point-to-point internal construction instead of Matamp's circuit boards, hand wound Mercury Magnetics transformers, and a thick steel chassis instead of the flimsy Ashdown chassis Matamp now uses. In the end, the sound improvements over the Matamp sound they mimic are probably minimal but Electric Amps ARE built very, very well. There's a reason the guys from Yob/Middian, Sleep, High on Fire, and Om ditched all their Matamp gear and bought Electric Amps. They just broke down too often.

In the end, Electric Amps sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeoj8HGatYk

Thanks Hank III playing his Electric Amp with a custom front plate. His was #51 made by them. Mine is #32.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 17, 2009

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Catastrophe posted:

Sleep, High on Fire, and Om ditched all their Matamp gear and bought Electric Amps

That's only like 2 people :downs: (plus Matt Pike is playing Soldanos and Laneys these days)

It's interesting, I was a bit confused about the red, white and blue USA stuff on the Electric site when they are clearly making "British" sounding amps.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

That's only like 2 people :downs: (plus Matt Pike is playing Soldanos and Laneys these days)

It's interesting, I was a bit confused about the red, white and blue USA stuff on the Electric site when they are clearly making "British" sounding amps.

Yeah it's 3 guys spread across multiple bands.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 18, 2009

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Yikes, reading this http://www.planetoftheamps.com/matamp-on-fire.html it really sounds like QC just went to poo poo for Matamp UK. I nearly bought a new Matamp when sterling was at its weakest, kind of glad I let it pass now.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Not sure if this counts as new gear. But I got this today at a really cool guitar store.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Waffleimages is dead, but I bought a Squier Mini for my girlfriend to play because it was cheap and she has tiny hands :3:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Waffleimages is dead, but I bought a Squier Mini for my girlfriend to play because it was cheap and she has tiny hands :3:

I've been thinking about getting a mini Strat for my 6 or 7 (can't remember) year old cousin along with the Pignose 7-1000 pocket amp I don't use just because I think it'd make him the happiest dude on earth. But my aunt and uncle tell the rest of the family that they want him playing hockey and soccer, not music, and that his little sister is the one they'll stick into music.

How is it?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Handen posted:

But my aunt and uncle tell the rest of the family that they want him playing hockey and soccer, not music, and that his little sister is the one they'll stick into music.
Stuff like this is sad to read.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Carbohydrates posted:

Stuff like this is sad to read.

I know. I think if I got a guitar for him my Aunt & Uncle might be a little angry with me because they don't want him to lose sight of some big NHL contract years down the road, but at least it gives him an option. And being a kid at that age, if someone gave me an electric guitar, I'd have been SO happy. His birthday is coming up and I think he'd love it, so it's what he's getting. Either a Mini Strat, or the Squier '51 I have sitting around but never use. Depends on how big he is next time I see him I guess.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Catastrophe posted:

I currently have this on its way to me. It's an Electric Amps MV120 head. EL34 120W version. I FINALLY have something to replace that Matamp Roadster I sold last year.

(My host. Don't freak out. hah)

Sweet christ clips please

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Handen posted:

I've been thinking about getting a mini Strat for my 6 or 7 (can't remember) year old cousin along with the Pignose 7-1000 pocket amp I don't use just because I think it'd make him the happiest dude on earth. But my aunt and uncle tell the rest of the family that they want him playing hockey and soccer, not music, and that his little sister is the one they'll stick into music.

How is it?

That is loving heartbreaking. The guitar is alright. It's nothing to gig with (Obviously), and it plays weird for me because I use thick-as-gently caress flatwound sets, but for a beginner with teeny tiny hands, it's perfect. She enjoys it. It's fun!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Gonna continue the bass trend:

Its loving HEAVY. Like seriously the heaviest bass/guitar I can remember holding.

The neck is about the width of a 7 string guitars and is thinner on the bottom side which is nice. Its really comfortable to play on which is good because I was worried.

Now I need to find someone selling strings thicker than .135...

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Vintage Modified 70s Jazz

Could've had a sweet deal on a Geddy Lee Jazz, but this felt better to my hands, had a very similar tone, and cost $500 less. Plus it has my favorite design cue of the Geddy, black binding with black block inlays.

Probably would've picked up the Vintage Modified P-Bass too, but the only one in stock had some really bad finish damage. It sounded lovely, tho, so now I'm gonna have to track one down. They need to stop making cool instruments so cheap I keep getting suckered into impulse buys :shobon:

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Chows posted:

Could've had a sweet deal on a Geddy Lee Jazz, but this felt better to my hands, had a very similar tone, and cost $500 less. Plus it has my favorite design cue of the Geddy, black binding with black block inlays.

That thing is hoooooot. How much did it cost and how does it sound?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Stux posted:

Gonna continue the bass trend:

Its loving HEAVY. Like seriously the heaviest bass/guitar I can remember holding.

The neck is about the width of a 7 string guitars and is thinner on the bottom side which is nice. Its really comfortable to play on which is good because I was worried.

I'm jealous of pretty much everything in those pictures.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

That thing is hoooooot. How much did it cost and how does it sound?

$280. IIRC the Geddy was something like $760 but I could've knocked another hundred off that so the difference was actually more like $400. Whoops.

It sounds like this. I don't have a good way to mic my amp so it's just direct with a bit of compression, both pickups up and tone wide open. Forgive the lazy playing, I'm out of practice with my finger plucking and just wanted to get a quick sample up :)

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Stux posted:

http://www.conklinguitars.com/accessories.html

that's where I got my 150..

are you still going octave E?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

hamaien posted:

I'm jealous of pretty much everything in those pictures.

Its the shoes you like most right :iamafag:

Demolisher posted:

http://www.conklinguitars.com/accessories.html

that's where I got my 150..

are you still going octave E?

Do they ship to the UK though?

My plan with tuning is based around my guitarist. Hes going to be playing in drop C, so I wanted to tune the 4 "normal" strings to what the bass would usually be on for that (CGCF), then leave the high C, then put in a G0, so I could have GCGCFC. I think I'm going to drop the highest C down to B though, because I was playing in ADADGC today (standard for the top 4 with the 5th dropped to D, and then the last dropped to A) and I like the way the notes for what we're playing land like that.

I'm going to have to go down a few gauges either way.