Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Saukkis posted:

Yes, I don't think there is much the computer can do if the TV doesn't support disabling overscan. The way Nvidia drivers do it on the Windows side is by actually sending out a picture with black borders. That way the TV overscan only cuts off the borders leaving the real picture intact.

This is what a modeline is supposed to do though, right? I'm just making sure I understand, but it looked like modelines would specify the 'desired' resolution, then how much fluff was on the borders to be cut off. If I get really ambitious this evening I might pull this video card (it's sorta flakey to begin with), throw in my old 7800 and see if nvidia-settings can do a better job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I'm setting up Arch on my desktop and for some reason I can't get audio.

I'm using aplay with one of the alsa wav files and no idea comes out. sound module is loaded, alsamixer shows the device and channels, and all the channels are turned up and not muted.

I'm at a loss, I'm in the audio group and still can't get it. mpd which should always work doesn't make a sound either.

lsmod|grep snd posted:

snd_hda_intel 370736 0
snd_hwdep 8964 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_seq_oss 31872 0
snd_seq_midi_event 8192 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 49968 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 8332 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss 40192 0
snd_pcm 69636 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 21384 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 9224 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss 16512 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd 50724 9 snd_hda_intel,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore 8160 1 snd

ls -l /dev/snd/ posted:

total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 9 2009-01-08 20:03 controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 8 2009-01-08 20:03 hwC0D0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 7 2009-01-08 20:03 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 6 2009-01-08 20:03 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 5 2009-01-08 20:03 pcmC0D1c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 2009-01-08 20:03 pcmC0D1p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 3 2009-01-08 19:26 seq
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 2 2009-01-08 19:26 timer

It's the built-in audio for my Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless. Everything else was detected fine and works great, it's just the audio.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Just wanted to post my resolution, for anyone interested.

I never got the DVI-HDMI working, but I switched to the 7300 and VGA and got something I'm satisfied with. The colors are right, it's pixel-accurate and the sound works. The only downside is that the TV won't accept 1900x1080 over VGA, it's limited to 1280x720, so I've got a black border around the edge. Still, better than the stretched mess that I had, I'm content to leave it like that.

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003
Damn it, Damn it, Damn it!
I have postfix installed and I think I have it configured right. How can I test sending emails from the cli?

:edit nm, its not postfix or sendmail, its something else.

Catch 22 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 9, 2009

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have a maybe stupid question, are there any Linux GUIs that are not based on a desktop metaphor?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have a maybe stupid question, are there any Linux GUIs that are not based on a desktop metaphor?

There are a lot of tiling window managers that don't use a desktop, such as xmonad, wmii, ratpoison, ion, and awesome. You can also run a traditional window manager without a file manager on the desktop, which gives you normal window management but no desktop files.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ShoulderDaemon posted:

There are a lot of tiling window managers that don't use a desktop, such as xmonad, wmii, ratpoison, ion, and awesome. You can also run a traditional window manager without a file manager on the desktop, which gives you normal window management but no desktop files.
No no, I mean with a completely different control system, not mice and windows and tabs and drop-down menus and dragging and stuff. I didn't mean that I knew what such a system would be like, I wanted to see if anyone had any really out-there ideas for GUIs.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Samurai Sanders posted:

No no, I mean with a completely different control system, not mice and windows and tabs and drop-down menus and dragging and stuff. I didn't mean that I knew what such a system would be like, I wanted to see if anyone had any really out-there ideas for GUIs.

Well, most of the tiling window managers are driven primarily without the mouse and don't show overlapping windows and don't themselves use menus, although the programs you run would still probably be mouse-oriented unless you made an effort to avoid that.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have to say I'm impressed: using nothing but gparted, I've managed to successfully clone & resize a mixed 120GB NTFS-Fat32-swap-ext3-ext3 drive on to a new 1TB Samsung. There was a slight booting issue due to the priority given to IDE vs SATA drives, and Windows only booting from the first drive. Other than that, it's been a totally painless experience.

StrikerJ
Oct 8, 2001

StrikerJ posted:

To get my Corsair Voyager USB stick to mount in Debian and Ubuntu I have to change the following value from the default 5 seconds to something like 8 with this command:

echo 8 > /sys/module/scsi_mod/parameters/inq_timeout

What I wonder is how to make this value stick between reboots and not reset?

Another try with the same question. Funny thing is that the value does not reset between reboots in Debian but in Ubuntu.

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/

What-in-hells. There is no /feisty/ directory. I'm trying to get a few simple packages like dhcp3-server installed on a soekris board and keep hitting snags. Intrepid Ibed would not install on it which is why I used feisty. Would it be safe to use a repository from before feisty (like Dapper) to get dhcp3-server? And in ubuntu, is editing /etc/apt/sources.list the 'proper' way to do that?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ExileStrife posted:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/

What-in-hells. There is no /feisty/ directory. I'm trying to get a few simple packages like dhcp3-server installed on a soekris board and keep hitting snags. Intrepid Ibed would not install on it which is why I used feisty. Would it be safe to use a repository from before feisty (like Dapper) to get dhcp3-server? And in ubuntu, is editing /etc/apt/sources.list the 'proper' way to do that?

Seems odd its not showing up there. I was able to find it here:
http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/feisty/
Does that help?
As for editing sources, I've always either edited sources.list, or create a new entry in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ for 3rd party repo's.

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
Ah thanks. I didn't know about old-releases. This is coming along swimmingly.

ZaInT
Jul 21, 2004

I don't eat meat because it tastes good, I do it because I hate animals
I want to set up a Linux machine for the sole purpose of running an irssi client under screen with SSH. This is the ONLY thing I need.
The machine to be used is a HP thin client (t5510 I believe) with a Crusoe at around 5-900 MHz, 512 MB RAM and a built in 256 MB flash memory.
If needed I can use a 4 GB USB-stick instead, but then it'll have to be an OS that can boot from said USB-stick.

Which distribution should I use?

I know a few things about Linux, have been trying out Red Hat, Fedora, SuSE, Debian, OpenBSD (yeah whatever), Arch and a few others.
I've never built my own kernel, but I can get most things done, I just don't want to fiddle TOO much and not all the time either.
It would be nice if the dist supported aptitude since that's what I'm used to, but I'll take what I can get.

ZaInT fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 12, 2009

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

ZaInT posted:

I want to set up a Linux machine for the sole purpose of running an irssi client under screen with SSH. This is the ONLY thing I need.
The machine to be used is a HP thin client (t5510 I believe) with a Crusoe at around 5-900 MHz, 512 MB RAM and a built in 256 MB flash memory.
If needed I can use a 4 GB USB-stick instead, but then it'll have to be an OS that can boot from said USB-stick.

I know a few things about Linux, have been trying out Red Hat, Fedora, SuSE, Debian, OpenBSD (yeah whatever), Arch and a few others.
I've never built my own kernel, but I can get most things done, I just don't want to fiddle TOO much and not all the time either.
It would be nice if the dist supported aptitude since that's what I'm used to, but I'll take what I can get.

I'd just use Debian and do a bare minimum install. Then just add what you want.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

ZaInT posted:

I would suggest just tossing Arch on there. The base install should detect the ethernet just fine, then just install an ssh server and irssi (and screen of course), then add sshd to rc.conf and you're set.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

ZaInT posted:

With 4G, you've got enough space for any of them, and any of them will boot from it. Debian's the easiest to slim down to near-nothing. Redhat/Fedora/CentOS have a checkbox for "minimal" install that's pretty much just for what you want. Ubuntu will probably be the easiest to get working how you want.

Just pick the one you like working with the most.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Not sure if this is possible.

I've got a low-medium range system that's a few years old by the name of Gauss. It's configured and running Ubuntu well. I'd like to toss a liveCD onto my new machine (Euclid) and pass the extra cycles to Gauss for when I'm running gcc, digest, or rendering stuff. Euclid runs a copy of Windows Vista, and I'd like to leave it untouched, if possible. OpenMosix seems like a way to go, but the liveCDs that run it are all really old. Is there a 'best' way to do this with little extra work spent configuring Gauss?

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

I have a pretty basic shell question. How do I 'clone' standard in so that I can send the same keyboard input to more than one program; say cat and some program I wrote. I'm trying to create testing scripts in a fairly automatic way so that my keystrokes for one run through my program are saved to a file and I can easily just pipe the file back into my program to repeat the test.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Contero posted:

I have a pretty basic shell question. How do I 'clone' standard in so that I can send the same keyboard input to more than one program; say cat and some program I wrote. I'm trying to create testing scripts in a fairly automatic way so that my keystrokes for one run through my program are saved to a file and I can easily just pipe the file back into my program to repeat the test.

code:
$ tee file-to-save-to | some-program-that-reads-stdin

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

Perfect. Thanks.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

Jo posted:

I'd like to toss a liveCD onto my new machine (Euclid) and pass the extra cycles to Gauss for when I'm running gcc, digest, or rendering stuff.
The distcc live CD should do the trick for compiling stuff.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Alowishus posted:

The distcc live CD should do the trick for compiling stuff.

Awesome. Thank you.

EDIT: Is there a more general purpose CPU cycle sharing platform? My biggest needs have been satisfied, but I'm curious about what's out there in terms of 'add live CD distribute anything'.

Jo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 14, 2009

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Trying to track down some spammer that managed to guess a user's e-mail password on a dedicated server. (With servers like this, there's always inevitably someone that sets their password as "password" or their own username.) What can I use to help track down the source faster? I just want to see which user got compromised and/or the IP address of the spammer.

By cross-referencing all the info I have, I'm sure I can find them, but I'm trying to think of other sources of info other than the following:

- Sendmail log files (doesn't show which user account is making an SMTP connection, only POP/IMAP logins and where outgoing e-mails are being sent)
- /proc directory (not really enough information)
- ps aux (doesn't really get me anywhere)
- netstat anp (shows all active connections, but there's plenty of connections on port 25 to sift through since it's a busy server)

Any help is appreciated.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
dmesg and /var/log/messages might show something. Or it might show too much.

Antimony
Oct 29, 2006

I have a really weird problem here, that I'm not sure I'll get an answer to - but I figure it's worth a try.

I have a scheduled backup that runs from a Windows Server 2003 machine, using Robocopy to mirror my fileserver directory to a Samba share on my Ubuntu server. The Samba share is an external hard drive, formatted with NTFS (for easy recovery to the Windows Server).

The problem is that I was getting Access Denied errors when robocopy was trying to create directories with special characters (with in for example). To fix this, I added iocharset=utf8 to the relevant line in /etc/fstab - so it then read:

code:
/dev/sdf1 /mnt/Backup ntfs-3g default,iocharset=utf8 0 0
Anyway, the wierd thing is, when I run the scheduled task from the Windows server myself (note that this is running as a seperate user called backup) it works fine. When I wait for the task to run itself at 3am, however, I am still getting the Access Denied errors. I simply cannot figure out what is different between me running the task, and it running on its own. When I run the task myself, I right click it and press run - instead of just running the batch file from my administrator account - so it's even using the correct user.

Since then, I have removed iocharset=utf8 and replaced it with locale=en_GB.UTF-8 to see if that makes a difference (it still works fine when launched manually). When the errors occur, the following is logged over and over in the syslog:

code:
Jan 14 03:00:53 vhost ntfs-3g[4847]: Skipping unrepresentable filename (inode 48167): Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character
I also get this error when trying to create a file or directory from the command line with a special character in it - but not when I create it from an SMB client, which is strange.

Worth noting is that I have a couple of scripts that unmount the backup drive and turn it off after all the backups have finished at 6am, and turn it on and mount it again before they are due to start at midnight - but I don't see how this could be causing the issues. The scripts are as follows:

backup_online:
code:
#!/bin/sh
sdparm --command=start /dev/disk/by-uuid/7886AF3D86AEFAB0
sleep 5
mount /mnt/Backup
sleep 2
backup_offline:
code:
#!/bin/sh
umount /mnt/Backup
sleep 4
sdparm --command=stop /dev/disk/by-uuid/7886AF3D86AEFAB0
I'd be grateful for any input or suggestions at all, just to point me in the right direction.

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.
I've recently been dropped into a sysadmin position, it's my first go at something like this, and I have a puzzle that's been vexing me for a bit.

Ignoring the fact that yes, this server farm has a horrible setup which I'll be fixing, from what i can tell things are running like this.

There's two boxes, named ns1 and ns2 respectively.

As far as I can tell, ns1 does exactly what it's name would imply, it's a primary nameserver.

ns2 however, runs postfix, apache2 (which has about fifteen websites attached to it), postfix, and runs the databases for all the above.

I'm in the process of splitting off the mail and web servers to another box, but in the meantime there's an issue that I'd like to fix and looking and the various apache files I haven't figured out why this happens.

NS1 has an internal ip of 192.168.2.2
NS2 has an internal ip of 192.168.2.3

Any access to any of the sites from within the network (192.168.1.133) for example is my own machine results in just a simple directory list from apache.

What is it that I actually need to change to fix this issue for the other users of the internal network? Maybe i just need a fresh outsiders idea, but I can't figure out what's actually wrong.

I should also add, putting files in the default directory of apache doesn't make anything show up on that directory list either.

http://localhost performed via lynx on that home machine is a blank directory list, as is example.com example2.com where example.com and example2.com are sites hosted on the machine.

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003
Damn it, Damn it, Damn it!
Well, even though I had one hell of a lovely-romance with Linux for years, I think I might have found the right gal.
In short, I have been pushed up on a deadline to get some kind of monitoring comparable to who we outsource.
This pushed me into a crash course with Nagios, and God do I love it now. I have really stepped up and figured out CentOS and Nagios in just about 2 months. I have it setup and running from the base, custom CSS, NRPE for remote systems, NagVis, pnp4nagios, and no plugin that I cant figure out. This thing monitors more than I could dream of and that list grows everyday. The last thing I have to do is setup SMS messages and/or voice calling notifications, but that's not why I am here. I dont have a problem really, but just a question.

What else can I possibly make this bad rear end thing do?! I know about NagiosExchange, but I want to know whats practical for all installs.

Catch 22 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 15, 2009

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

On my laptop, which is running Kubuntu 8.10, I am unable to view any directories that have foreign characters. Specifically, when using FileZilla to browse a certain FTP site, one directory contains the '' character. It just simply isn't there. When I use FireFTP on the same site, I can see the directory, but when I try to open it, FireFTP tells me "directory does not exist." Is this an issue with the charset I am using, or do I need additional language packs installed?

EDIT: ionn helped me resolve this. All I had to do was tell FileZilla to use a different charset, and voila.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 15, 2009

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Anyone know how to make a username alias in debian?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Does anyone know of a text-based instant messenger client program?

I found tmsnc floating around and gave it a try, but it doesn't seem to support the latest version of MSN Messenger -- the project was discontinued a couple of years ago.

I only need MSN Messenger or ICQ support, nothing fancy. It's just going to sit on my server and tell me it's still alive.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Weatherman posted:

http://tinyurl.com/794ekz

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Accipiter posted:

http://tinyurl.com/794ekz

Kinda loses some of the bite when your search results suck.

http://www.bitlbee.org/main.php/news.r.html is neat if you're already using an IRC client all day.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Weatherman posted:

Try Finch, it's an ncurses interface for libpurple (the Pidgin library).

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Weatherman posted:

I'm not entirely what you mean by text-based, but if you want one you can run in screen/terminal, I use centerim.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

admiraldennis posted:

Anyone know how to make a username alias in debian?
What, like an email alias, or the ability to log into user1's account as user2?

The second can't really be done cleanly, but the quickest way is to create user2 with user1's UID.

For email aliases, check /etc/aliases

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, Enlightnement (e16), gnome-panel

I've had a long term problem loading the gnome-panel in enlightenment. On my desktop I just added some menu items to click and load them, and in the past I've loaded them in my .xinirc.

Im setting up a computer for my brother, and I have several WMs setup for him, and putting gnome-panel in the xinitrc isnt going to play nice with other WMs, and I'd really like it to load up with enlightenment, but I cant figure out how to get enlightenment to automagicly load it when e loads up.

Alt + right click / remember doesnt seem to work with the panel (works great for gkrellm, and may other apps, just not gnome-panel)

I tried adding gnome-panel to my /usr/share/e16/scripts/starte16 with no luck.

I also tried making Init, Start directories with gnome-panel in them, with no luck.

I've even hacked my .e16/e-config.... snaphots file adding CMD: gnome-panel to the paragraph with gnome-panel in it (at the bottom of the file)

After spending prettymuch the whole day yesterday tring to get gnome-panel to load on enlightenments startup, Im out of ideas.

Also, why it the hell is it so hard to do such a simple common every-day sort of thing?

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

covener posted:

http://www.bitlbee.org/main.php/news.r.html is neat if you're already using an IRC client all day.

A friend converted me to using irssi and bitlbee, and been using it ever since. Was a little annoying at first to get used to, but now I love it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

covener posted:

Really? The first result is pretty damned comprehensive, I'd say. Especially considering it lists every follow-up suggestion as well as a bunch of others.

What's that about losing bite now? :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Accipiter posted:

Really? The first result is pretty damned comprehensive, I'd say. Especially considering it lists every follow-up suggestion as well as a bunch of others.

What's that about losing bite now? :rolleyes:

If a waiter recommends every item on the menu, has he done a good job? What if his name is "linuxmafia" and he includes every fly-by-night entry?