Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

wlokos posted:

I just started a new song in FL Studio, I will not work on any other electronic music until this song is complete.

I just finished a new song in FL Studio! That wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be. The song itself is pretty simple, I ended up going for a somewhat cheesy song like what you'd hear in the credits of a Sega Genesis game or something. Anybody who wants to critique that is welcome, but the main thing I'd like advice on is how the actual synth sounds are. I made everything (other than the drum samples) from scratch in synth1, using the online manual to guide me, and I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I also used sidechaining for the first time, though I actually hooked the bass to the snare rather than the kick because the offbeat rhythm from chaining it to the kick didn't work with the song.

td;dr:

I have no idea if the mix is any good or not, I don't really know where to start with that.

wlokos fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think the bass is panned a little too far right..

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Ok can anyone explain to me why this is happening:

At the end of the clip, which will theoretically be the end of the intro of the track I'm working on, I'm cranking up a delay on the master along with some filters. At the end of the 4 bars I turn off the delay and ended all the clips (it's on the 1 exactly, I used the pencil tool to block off the delay in automation) so there should be silence. But instead my bass synth is retriggering? I have no idea why this is happening (it's not release or anything pushing through, I brought the release to 0 and it still did it) -- any ideas?

Not to mention that when I record the tail of the delay playing out so that I can layer it over everything it comes in with a gap in between the delay ending and the tail clip starting for no apparent reason:

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Made some of the changes suggested, broke up the Think break into something interesting, still a couple issues in it, especially figuring out the arrangement (gonna have to cut a few bits out), but I'd like feedback on the changes I've made.

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 11, 2009

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

http://cpchicken.free.fr/HouseU.mp3

New track I'm really pleased with but wanna get the Musician's Lounge opinion before I consider it done- have at it! Careful though, it's mad crazy loud.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

IanTheM posted:

Made some of the changes suggested, broke up the Think break into something interesting, still a couple issues in it, especially figuring out the arrangement (gonna have to cut a few bits out), but I'd like feedback on the changes I've made.
i don't know why you keep half blowing your load half-dropping the think break, but this is a much better song. lots of variation in the synths helped. nice job

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Blinn posted:

New track I'm really pleased with but wanna get the Musician's Lounge opinion before I consider it done- have at it! Careful though, it's mad crazy loud.

i like this track alot, definitely feeling the ed banger influence. honestly its probably the best track ive heard from this thread. most is just garbage/people demo'ing their first song but that is some high quality poo poo right there.

evilocity
Jul 6, 2004

a simple trap in a dark corner of the mind, and their nightmares catch up with them

Blinn posted:

This is pretty bad rear end. I could definitely see this getting play in my area. The break in the middle is incredibly sexy.

This is purely subjective but I find the main theme of the track a little slow, and I wish there was a bit of leadup in the break to transition into that (really bangin) pre drop thing that goes for 2 bars.

Edit - Listened to it on a better system. This is really, really good, and I'm gonna need to watch out for your other work. Fun, fun stuff.

evilocity fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 13, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
this is a remix i did for this 80s electro house duo called Lets Get Invisible.
they put it and another remix i did for them on their remix comp.

i never really mastered it that well

oh welllllll

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Nice track Blinn; it's not quite my thing exactly, but it sounds pretty polished. I especially like the piano break.

Really the only thing that doesn't sound quite right is the lead synth sounds a little thin/flat to my ears, maybe if it had a *touch* more dynamics or effects?

Also it sounds a bit slow to me, like it really wants to be a few bpm faster, but that might be mostly subjective.

oredun posted:

honestly its probably the best track ive heard from this thread. most is just garbage/people demo'ing their first song

That kind of attitude helps nobody; this is explicitly a "help me improve" thread, and people work hard on their music; no need to be lovely or dismissive about their efforts.

(P.S. SHIFT KEY)

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.

trill rear end posted:

this is a remix i did for this 80s electro house duo called Lets Get Invisible.
they put it and another remix i did for them on their remix comp.

i never really mastered it that well

oh welllllll

Hey they asked me to do a remix for them too! Never got around to it though. I think I might stop doing remixes altogether, except for friends.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
I have the tendency of finishing a song too soon and needing to change stuff later on in it. :smith:

I've been trying some hip-hop stuff lately, I made one based off this bass loop I had that reminded me of a milli (I know the vocals get slightly off sync)

Here it is without the vocals

Any advice? I don't plan on keeping the acapella in there. I'm just using it to base the song off of.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Thanks for the kind words :). I'm like 7 tracks into making my first electronic album so I'll definitely post it for all of ML when I'm done! Probably gonna hand em out to everybody who'll take one at my school as well.

evilocity posted:

This is purely subjective but I find the main theme of the track a little slow, and I wish there was a bit of leadup in the break to transition into that (really bangin) pre drop thing that goes for 2 bars.

I feel what you're saying about the leadup into the pre drop, I'll look into trying something to build it up.. I mean it already has a big bad V7 chord but I guess the lead could do something cool and bleepy.

What do you mean about the main theme being a little slow? Slow.. rhythmically.. or doesn't develop quickly enough.. Can you explain this a lil more please?

LowFatCannibal
Nov 23, 2007

by The Finn
This is the first draft of a song I was working on yesterday and today.

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/ybrv/4barsaday4

Problems I've got:

- I think it might wander/change a bit too much, which is the exact opposite to what usually happens.
- I'm sort of happy with the distort synth, but I'm sure it could be improved if anyone has any opinion? This is the first thing I've done with a distorted synth sound.
- The bleepbloop lead probably needs some tweaking/mastering. Totally unsure what to do with it.
- It seems like I've got so much noise going on that it's going to be hard to add something else, but 2 synths and drums is a bit :S and more is required I'm sure, I just have no idea what to add, again, bit of an opinion thing.

If someone could give me some pointers on mastering/EQing this up and if I should complicate it more that'd be sweet.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
It's pretty good, you could do a lot more with the percussion though. I think you could filter out more of that dirty synth to make some room high up for a stronger hi hat pattern with some light reverb to fill some background space. I think the lead needs a darker timbre to complement the dirty synth but I can't say off the top of my head what would achieve that. More and stronger claps too :downsbravo:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I just got a copy of Audiomulch, and I'm liking it so far. I've never really messed with any music creation software before though. Anyway, I got a bunch of vsts that I wan't to try out, but don't currently have a midi controller. Is there a way to map my keyboard as a midi device? I know I won't get velocity, but I just want to try some things out before diving in. If not, is there a cheap (around $50) midi controller that I could use, that isn't a big pile of poo poo?

Also, for the mashup stuff like girltalk and whatnot, do they just create there samples in something like audacity, and then just use audiomulch to play them? I guess I really don't understand how that all works out, and can't really find any info about how to make songs like he does. I really would just like to make mashups, but need a simple lesson howto.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 15, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

I just got a copy of Audiomulch, and I'm liking it so far. I've never really messed with any music creation software before though.

Anyway, I got a bunch of vsts that I wan't to try out, but don't currently have a midi controller. Is there a way to map my keyboard as a midi device?
http://www.vimidi.com/about
http://www.bome.com/midi/keyboard/ may help

quote:

If not, is there a cheap (around $50) midi controller that I could use, that isn't a big pile of poo poo?
No :(.

Unless you're satisfied with something that won't have sliders or rotary knobs; just any old Yamaha SY-22 or SY-35, or a Roland D-5 or something. Those at least have decent keyboards, it's always easier buying a box of knobs afterwards; somewhat decent keys start at higher budgets. You are going to need an USB MIDI interface, but those are cheap anyway.

quote:

Also, for the mashup stuff like girltalk and whatnot, do they just create there samples in something like audacity, and then just use audiomulch to play them?

There's a video of Girl Talk doing exactly that but to me that's a rather autistic way of doing things; you won't have any of the advantages of say, Ableton or Sony ACID and you won't be using the effects most of the time anyway.

quote:

I really would just like to make mashups, but need a simple lesson howto

My first advice: don't :v:.

Since that's not going to stop you:

Get the trial version of Ableton Live (site may be hammered thanks to NAMM) and get Audacity.

Use Audacity to cut up the songs in 4- or 8-bar loops. Vocals are usually acquired in the :filez: way so I can't tell you here. Give the loops sensible names denoting artist, song name and actual order (so 01_Jay_Z_99_Problems.wav) or in the case of vocals, make a folder called Jay Z - 99 Problems and use the lyrics for the filename.

Make a bunch of audio tracks in Ableton (just look at the tutorials or the manual) and start recombining.

Now, the way GT does mashups is - IMHO - good. It's what it should be instead of just a Jay Z vocal and a few punk rock chords from some whiny indie band or something. Densely layered, intricately intwined, quick turnaround time.

The hardest part is going to be matching tempo and Live is going to help you tremendously with that.

I did my first projects using Sound Forge and Fasttracker II - the second ones were done in ACID 1.0. This was in 1998 or so, and your options are a lot better now, since you won't have to timestretch everything offline using a calculator.

edit: example here. lovely sound quality but that's because I already got ACID to its knees doing this on my poor old Pentium 2 and I didn't know jack poo poo about mixing stuff properly. Set consists of a bunch of CDs I had plus someone's assorted hiphop samples and a few mp3s I had to beg someone for to download since I didn't have internet myself. Cutting things up made it the easiest to organize and work quickly, and while you can cut up stuff in Ableton itself, it's got an easier time guessing what tempo things should be and where stuff should start.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 16, 2009

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
Ableton Live 8 Preview: http://www.ableton.com/

Haven't finished the video yet, but the Akai controller looks interesting. It's like a Live specific Monome with faders and knobs.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Yeah we're geeking out over it in the NAMM thread. I'm really ready to throw money at that thing.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Yoozer posted:

Use Audacity to cut up the songs in 4- or 8-bar loops.

Why wouldnt you just do this in ableton? it'd be far easier and quicker.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

cubicle gangster posted:

Why wouldnt you just do this in ableton? it'd be far easier and quicker.

I'm old-fashioned and I like the millisecond accuracy a full-screen no-frills wave editor can give me; Ableton warps and grids and snaps and all that.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Yoozer posted:

I'm old-fashioned and I like the millisecond accuracy a full-screen no-frills wave editor can give me; Ableton warps and grids and snaps and all that.

Except when you click off the warp button.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Whoa, subtle bitcrushing can really make a loop stand out. I'm afraid I'll use that poo poo way too much in the coming months.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Motorball posted:

Whoa, subtle bitcrushing can really make a loop stand out. I'm afraid I'll use that poo poo way too much in the coming months.

Try it together with ringmod and a light phaser and apply a high-pass... whee - crispy!

evilocity
Jul 6, 2004

a simple trap in a dark corner of the mind, and their nightmares catch up with them

Blinn posted:

Thanks for the kind words :). I'm like 7 tracks into making my first electronic album so I'll definitely post it for all of ML when I'm done! Probably gonna hand em out to everybody who'll take one at my school as well.

I feel what you're saying about the leadup into the pre drop, I'll look into trying something to build it up.. I mean it already has a big bad V7 chord but I guess the lead could do something cool and bleepy.

What do you mean about the main theme being a little slow? Slow.. rhythmically.. or doesn't develop quickly enough.. Can you explain this a lil more please?

Well, listening to it a bit louder, I'm not sure it's even true, but when I wrote it, I meant just raw BPM. It seemed like it would feel more danceable if it were faster. However, it would also make those sexy swells the lead synth has less prominent, so I'm not really sure which makes more sense.

If I had a record of it, I'd probably see how it sounded at +2, if that makes sense.

I wrote a 'song' this morning to take my mind off today's plans. I don't know what to think of it (other than that the drums sound terrible), but it was a nice way to spend the morning.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cpww0m

Edit: Holy poo poo, live finally has a loving groove learn!
E2: This upgrade is incredible.

evilocity fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 16, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
how does this sound with everyone? im trying out some poo poo with no normalizing and over driving my DAW
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ke4fnc

evilocity
Jul 6, 2004

trill rear end posted:

how does this sound with everyone? im trying out some poo poo with no normalizing and over driving my DAW

The gating sounds weird to me, but it made me want to dance nonetheless.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

evilocity posted:

The gating sounds weird to me, but it made me want to dance nonetheless.

why thank you!

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

trill rear end posted:

Sounds like someone's been listening to Danger :) (good thing)

High synth early gets drowned out even though it sounds like its clipping

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

mezzir posted:

Sounds like someone's been listening to Danger :) (good thing)

High synth early gets drowned out even though it sounds like its clipping

yeah i need to fix that little melody dude

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

why thank you!

One of the best things I have heard. You need to make whole songs or find a bangin vocalist. I really like the sound design. How do you make it sound like danger? Is it bit reduction plus a c64 emulator+gate or sidechained bass, and nintendo toms. White noise claps etc? or Tell me some tricks!

If this song had a harpsichord breakdown at .58 or so I would smile for days. Then dump the lo pitched stuff back in. Thats 3 minutes easy.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 16, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

Rkelly posted:

One of the best things I have heard. You need to make whole songs or find a bangin vocalist. I really like the sound design. How do you make it sound like danger? Is it bit reduction plus a c64 emulator+gate or sidechained bass, and nintendo toms. White noise claps etc? or Tell me some tricks!

If this song had a harpsichord breakdown at .58 or so I would smile for days. Then dump the lo pitched stuff back in. Thats 3 minutes easy.

ooo harpsichord, good idea.
i use sugar bytes unique synth. most of the sound comes from overdriving and layering synths.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

ooo harpsichord, good idea.
i use sugar bytes unique synth. most of the sound comes from overdriving and layering synths.

If you add a harpsichord make sure and pm me to let me hear it. Dont stop making poo poo man you have talent.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

trill rear end posted:

yeah i need to fix that little melody dude

yeah you're also definitely clipping at points, but it's awesome. Invest in a decent limiter and multiband compressor if you want to push the volume that hard without serious clipping action, because clipping usually sounds horrrrrrible.

(I know you're intentionally digitally clipping here but it just almost never sounds good)

(but this is pretty sick so far otherwise so keep it up)

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Rkelly posted:

How does he make it sound like danger?
Sidechaining plus distorted synths plus VAMPIRE ORGAN! high pitched synth.

Good stuff. Make more. :)

LowFatCannibal
Nov 23, 2007

by The Finn

Mannex posted:

Sidechaining plus distorted synths plus VAMPIRE ORGAN! high pitched synth.

Good stuff. Make more. :)

Make chiptunes for 4 years too.

redcoyotef
Dec 17, 2004

only one man can stop the yakuza
I love this thread and everyone involved in it. I wish I had come across this thread years ago, I'd be a lot farther along. Regardless, I've read it now and learned a lot. Thank you for creating such a wealth of information for the beginning producer!

Now to stop sucking :D

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

I've played guitar for a while, and just decided to pick up a midi controller to start delving into electronic music. The OP is awesome, lots of really helpful and easy to understand information in there, so thanks for that. I have a couple questions though that hopefully don't get asked all the time, I checked the last couple pages and didn't see anything.

I'm using Garageband until I can afford something better, and I'm not sure how to assign all the extra buttons to do things. I have an Axiom 49, and most of the extra sliders and knobs don't do anything right now. I'd like to be able to assign them to various parameters of a plugin or whatever. And the drum pads just play notes of whatever patch I'm currently using, which is not too handy when I'm using something that is not drums. So I'd like to be able to set that to a different patch, and it would be nice to set different sections of the keyboard to different patches too, but I don't know if that's possible.

I'm also interested in playing recorded samples, what's the best way to get started doing that?

Sorry if these get asked all the time, I didn't see too much about this in the OP though.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

mit_senf posted:

I'm using Garageband until I can afford something better, and I'm not sure how to assign all the extra buttons to do things. I have an Axiom 49, and most of the extra sliders and knobs don't do anything right now. I'd like to be able to assign them to various parameters of a plugin or whatever.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8731691 < no clue if this means something.

quote:

And the drum pads just play notes of whatever patch I'm currently using, which is not too handy when I'm using something that is not drums.
That's what the drum pads do. The problem is there when the pads send note info that overlaps with your keyboard. One trick would be to divide the keyboard into two parts using a MIDI filter of sorts, and I don't know if GB even has this option, since it's a gateway drug and it shouldn't be too powerful so they can lure you to Logic/Logic Express.

Say that you want to hear a piano from C0 to B6. You assign the notes from C7 to C8 to your drumpads. Then, you make sure both the piano and drum plugins receive note information from your controller; you're basically always playing two instruments at the same time. However, the MIDI filter on the drum plugin can ignore every note below C7, and the MIDI filter on the piano plugin can ignore every note above B6.

quote:

So I'd like to be able to set that to a different patch, and it would be nice to set different sections of the keyboard to different patches too, but I don't know if that's possible.
Your best bet would be that you'd have to upgrade to Logic Express for that (or any other sequencer of choice).

quote:

I'm also interested in playing recorded samples, what's the best way to get started doing that?
There are several ways, and it depends on the material.

There are samples you trigger pretty much a single time or just a few times in a song, like vocals. Just dump these on an audio track.

There are samples you trigger a lot of times, but you never change the pitch. For this you need a phrase sampler (or percussion sampler) - NI Battery and Logic's Ultrabeat do this.

Lastly, there are samples you trigger a lot of times at different pitches, and for that you need sampling software. Logic comes with its own included sampler, and if you were on the PC I could tell you ShortCircuit is where it's at, but I've got not much of a clue on the OS X side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d6quc6

Trying my hand at something like goa trance. Everything is pretty jumbled and the song isn't very structured at this point especially the takeoff and the end. Actually I most likely won't keep anything after the takeoff. Tell me if it pumps well enough on your rigs :)

The DAW I use is FL8.

• Locked thread