Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Nautilus flops around like a retarded marmot when I open a folder with more than 500 items in it. Is there a way to make it stop? Perhaps a way to make it cache folder contents? Perhaps a way to make it only load the first 250 items until I scroll to the new ones? What can I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006
I have a Lenovo T400, and while it's my personal laptop I like to use it at work to test projectors with. That means a lot of plugging and unplugging to the VGA port. I've been using Vista with this and it's been fine, but I'd like to use Ubuntu because it's a little easier on the battery and Vista seems to *not* like going into sleep mode (can't figure out if it's a bug or lovely configuration).

Is there any way to 'lock' the VGA's output to 1024x768@60Hz and be able to enable/disable it's output, and still have the laptop display in it's native widescreen resolution (I think 1440x900)?

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

hippynerd posted:

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, Enlightnement (e16), gnome-panel

I've had a long term problem loading the gnome-panel in enlightenment. On my desktop I just added some menu items to click and load them, and in the past I've loaded them in my .xinirc.

Im setting up a computer for my brother, and I have several WMs setup for him, and putting gnome-panel in the xinitrc isnt going to play nice with other WMs, and I'd really like it to load up with enlightenment, but I cant figure out how to get enlightenment to automagicly load it when e loads up.

Alt + right click / remember doesnt seem to work with the panel (works great for gkrellm, and may other apps, just not gnome-panel)

I tried adding gnome-panel to my /usr/share/e16/scripts/starte16 with no luck.

I also tried making Init, Start directories with gnome-panel in them, with no luck.

I've even hacked my .e16/e-config.... snaphots file adding CMD: gnome-panel to the paragraph with gnome-panel in it (at the bottom of the file)

After spending prettymuch the whole day yesterday tring to get gnome-panel to load on enlightenments startup, Im out of ideas.

Also, why it the hell is it so hard to do such a simple common every-day sort of thing?

Problem Solved:

under the settings menu/Session Settings, check enable Session Script.
Create ~user/.e16/Init dir, link apps you want to startup (gnome-panel, nm-applet) in the Init dir.

logout/login.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

covener posted:

If a waiter recommends every item on the menu, has he done a good job? What if his name is "linuxmafia" and he includes every fly-by-night entry?

If the question is "Do you know of any seafood meals" and the waiter rattles off every last seafood meal on the menu, then he has done an excellent job.

Your argument is stupid and you should really stop.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Accipiter posted:

If the question is "Do you know of any seafood meals" and the waiter rattles off every last seafood meal on the menu, then he has done an excellent job.

Your argument is stupid and you should really stop.

I'll keep going until I have nothing of value to contribute -- don't worry, I'll be sure to signal that with a snarky post of a google query.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

covener posted:

If a waiter recommends every item on the menu, has he done a good job? What if his name is "linuxmafia" and he includes every fly-by-night entry?
I guess what he's trying to say is that you should've asked "Do anybody have a text-based IM-client that they'd recommend?". v:shobon:v

I'm gonna do the same as an earlier poster and recommend finch. It uses the same libraries as pidgin, so it works with most protocols.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 13, 2017

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Yeah, all right, my question sucked, I'll cop to that. I was looking for one that runs in a terminal/as a background process (I AM NOT A LINUX EXPERT PLEASE FORGIVE MY EXPLANATION ACCIPCETER)

jegHegy, Ashex, Zom Aur, thanks for your suggestion. I'll give finch a try.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Weatherman posted:

Yeah, all right, my question sucked, I'll cop to that. I was looking for one that runs in a terminal/as a background process (I AM NOT A LINUX EXPERT PLEASE FORGIVE MY EXPLANATION ACCIPCETER)

jegHegy, Ashex, Zom Aur, thanks for your suggestion. I'll give finch a try.

Generally, people rely on screen for this as opposed to individual applications, so you may not see it touted directly by the software you're looking at.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Fairly ignorant LU here. Here's what I got going on.

I have a compaq presario r3000 I take to school for working on photoshop/illustrator things in a design class and a math/comp sci class that is teaching python in console, wherein the teacher basically won't shut the gently caress up about linux, so I decided to dual boot on the laptop simply because he's requiring we ssh to the school's server and do everything in pico and do a couple things to prove we didn't write it in windows (wtf??) and save me some time.

Now, since I'm installing linux anyway, I was thinking I can make my life a bit easier when it comes to using the laptop as a part time streaming service or fileserver, but I don't know the feasibility of it.

My desktop is a room away from my living room which has a crap-o VGA projector and I run a big VGA cable down the wall around a door frame and to my desktop. Instead of doing this I am wondering if I can leave the laptop in the other room on a bookcase already next to the projector and stream movies from my desktop to it (wireless G, WRT54GS stock no firmware or updates or anything) to use as a VGA-out to the projector.

This sound plausible? Questions.. can wireless G stream movie content fast enough to watch? What do I need to stream windows->linux?

Last, more complex question.. I installed MintLinux (ubuntu distro) and it was easy as poo poo. I tried setting up regular Ubuntu a while back and for some reason it was more difficult or maybe I'm not patient enough. MintLinux even setup my retarded proprietary broadcom laptop wireless card.. are other distros pretty straightforward for idiots like me? Would I have a hard time setting up a straight Debian install, no frills?

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 18, 2009

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there a unanimous vote for the best USB wi-fi adapter for Ubuntu 8.10 that works out of the box? I'm installing it on my sister's comp, and I REALLY don't feel like spending 3 hours again trying to get her Buffalo PCI wi-fi card working. I've searched google on the subject, but was curious if my fellow Goons know something that random forums aren't telling me.

twofish
Apr 17, 2006

I think I've been working on this problem for about 5 hours now and it's starting to become obsessive so I should probably stop.

Is there any way at all to get Midnight Commander to match the default terminal colors? I've tried drat near to everything but it seems the only convention provided for changing that loving horrible white on bright blue scheme is in the poorly documented initialization file which gives you the ability to choose between... whoop!... sixteen other flamboyantly bright eye-burning colors. And no it will not read from rgb.txt or take hex values.

I'm open to suggestions about other orthodox file managers, but mouse support is a must (or must be writable without too much effort).

e: And I've tried a couple hacks involving altering the global terminal colors using .Xdefaults but MC seems to magically find its colors elsewhere.

twofish fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 19, 2009

Peanutmonger
Dec 6, 2002

TekLok posted:

Is there any way at all to get Midnight Commander to match the default terminal colors? I've tried drat near to everything but it seems the only convention provided for changing that loving horrible white on bright blue scheme is in the poorly documented initialization file which gives you the ability to choose between... whoop!... sixteen other flamboyantly bright eye-burning colors. And no it will not read from rgb.txt or take hex values.

I'm pretty sure that since midnight commander is a text mode application you really only get to choose from the 16 or so ANSI colors. If you wanted different colors, you could change the color mappings in your terminal, but that would change them everywhere you see them in your terminal.

twofish
Apr 17, 2006

Peanutmonger posted:

I'm pretty sure that since midnight commander is a text mode application you really only get to choose from the 16 or so ANSI colors. If you wanted different colors, you could change the color mappings in your terminal, but that would change them everywhere you see them in your terminal.

This is exactly the problem, for some reason, it doesn't work like that with MC.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

TekLok posted:

This is exactly the problem, for some reason, it doesn't work like that with MC.

I just checked, and you are wrong. Midnight commander does not appear to be sending the escape sequences to redefine color codes, and changes when I change the relevant colors in my terminal.

twofish
Apr 17, 2006

ShoulderDaemon posted:

I just checked, and you are wrong. Midnight commander does not appear to be sending the escape sequences to redefine color codes, and changes when I change the relevant colors in my terminal.

I figured it out but I had to define the terminal name in the .mc/ini base_colors variable. This doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, the manpages mention something but make it sound unnecessary. Then you still have to figure out what MC colors (blue, lightblue, etc) map to what .Xdefaults color (.color12, .color13, etc), because MC's config file uses it's own convention.

twofish fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 20, 2009

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Fedora 10 on my older Dell Inspirion 1505 laptop. It's running GNOME. I had a bitch of time getting the Broadcom-based WiFi adapter working, but it is working now. Problem I'm having is that when I suspend the laptop, and resume from suspend, the network adapter is disabled. Both the internal NIC and the wireless. I have to re-enable the network manager, then wait 1-2 minutes for the wireless to come back.

I was thinking of trying out Gentoo as it seems it can be fully customized for your machine, and maybe that might work out better for this laptop? Any suggestions?

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism

trilljester posted:

I was thinking of trying out Gentoo as it seems it can be fully customized for your machine, and maybe that might work out better for this laptop? Any suggestions?

I ran Gentoo for a good while, but I got very sick of it breaking constantly.

If you're looking for something that "just works" and requires little maintenance to keep running, Gentoo isn't the right way to go (in my opinion). If you're looking for a minimalist/flexible distribution, I've heard good things about Arch ("like Gentoo but isn't broken"), but I've never actually used it. If you want something that "just works", I've had good luck with Ubuntu.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

juggalol posted:

If you're looking for something that "just works" and requires little maintenance to keep running, Gentoo isn't the right way to go (in my opinion). If you're looking for a minimalist/flexible distribution, I've heard good things about Arch ("like Gentoo but isn't broken"), but I've never actually used it. If you want something that "just works", I've had good luck with Ubuntu.

Yeah, installing Ubuntu now. I did some research and I read a lot of varied opinions on Gentoo. Seems like it's a polarizing distribution.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good "LDAP101" book for reference? Protocol basics, examples of deploying it to common applications like PAM, NSS and so on...basically a good book for a sysadmin to get a basic level of understanding and reference.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I just wanted to drop a link to my HoTS thread and see if anyone in here had any insight: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3060735

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

juggalol posted:

We run Gentoo on many servers at work, and on our cluster. It is a fine distro.

We have lately been steering away from it, though, because compiling everything from source takes loving forever and the benefit on a modern system just really isn't there.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
Quick question that baffled me recently:

I just recently copied an rsnapshot backup directory between three ext3 filesystems. All together it was around 800 gigabytes of data and about 40 million links. (No idea how many unique files there were.) Each ext3 filesystem had the same block size.

I copied the data between the file systems using GNU cp:
cp -a /src /dst
assuming that -a would preserve links, permissions, datestamps, and all that, and produce an identical directory structure with the same files hard linked to each other and it would take the same amount of space.

However, each copy, about 45 gigabytes of used space materialized out of nowhere. I confirmed that all hard links were perserved, but nonetheless each time the total size on disk of the directory tree increased in size by about 45 gigabytes. Anyone have any idea why?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Sjurygg posted:

Can anyone recommend a good "LDAP101" book for reference? Protocol basics, examples of deploying it to common applications like PAM, NSS and so on...basically a good book for a sysadmin to get a basic level of understanding and reference.

I check this pretty often when I need a reference:

http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I have a weird issue but if no one can figure it out it's not a big deal since I have a workaround.

My setup at home is Ubuntu 8.04 as my OS running apache2 to serve my music when I'm not home so I can listen to my music from work. Port 80 is blocked by my ISP so I used to have it routing through port 65000. That worked, for a day, and stopped after updating hardy. I changed the listening port to 64000 since I was getting an error for port 65000 when starting apache2 saying the socket was in use.

Since that day I have been unable to access my music via port 64000 from outsuide my LAN, I get a page cannot be displayed. If I access it from my Virtual Machine on the internal LAN via port 64000 it works fine. Even more pecular is I setup a tunnel from my job to my home using putty and this command: "putty -C -P 2995 -L 5900:192.168.1.4:5901 [my ip is here]" and then I can access the music via my IP:64000

I checked the firewall, it's forwarding port 64000 requests to the IP of my Ubuntu machine and I know forwarding is working since I have about 7 other forwards that aren't having any problems. Anyone have any ideas?

edit: Nevermind, just looks like apache2 has to be restarted every morning.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 22, 2009

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

GuyGizmo posted:

However, each copy, about 45 gigabytes of used space materialized out of nowhere. I confirmed that all hard links were perserved, but nonetheless each time the total size on disk of the directory tree increased in size by about 45 gigabytes. Anyone have any idea why?

Have you compared the contents of the two directories?

Something like "ls -lSRh /dest > dest_ls; ls -lSRh /src src_ls; diff dest_ls src_ls"?

After the first difference it finds the 'diff' output will probably get really, really messy but at least it'll show you the first instance of what changed.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

juggalol posted:

Have you compared the contents of the two directories?

Something like "ls -lSRh /dest > dest_ls; ls -lSRh /src src_ls; diff dest_ls src_ls"?

After the first difference it finds the 'diff' output will probably get really, really messy but at least it'll show you the first instance of what changed.
Or use "du -sh */*" instead of ls, and it may be cleaner.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

chryst posted:

Or use "du -sh */*" instead of ls, and it may be cleaner.

Yeah, either way would work - as long as he's able to get a comparison of both directories, he should be able to find out what's different among the two.

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003
Damn it, Damn it, Damn it!
I have a base install of CentOS 5 with Apache, in the default /var/www/html/ folder is my index.html with a very basic layout, pictures and a link to a file in it. The link points to https://www.site.com/file.exe and the file is located in the same folder as index.html, pic01.png and pic02.png. I can see the site, and images, but when I click the link I get a 403: You don't have permission to access /file.exe on this server.

The file has 777 permissions. I think I need to configure something in httpd.conf but I don't know what. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Why can I access the other files but not the exe?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Catch 22 posted:

I have a base install of CentOS 5 with Apache, in the default /var/www/html/ folder is my index.html with a very basic layout, pictures and a link to a file in it. The link points to https://www.site.com/file.exe and the file is located in the same folder as index.html, pic01.png and pic02.png. I can see the site, and images, but when I click the link I get a 403: You don't have permission to access /file.exe on this server.

The file has 777 permissions. I think I need to configure something in httpd.conf but I don't know what. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Why can I access the other files but not the exe?

The execute bits and/or extension may be making apache want to run that as a CGI when CGI is not allowed for that directory or something.

Post the error message that shows up in Apache's error log.

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003
Damn it, Damn it, Damn it!

ShoulderDaemon posted:

The execute bits and/or extension may be making apache want to run that as a CGI when CGI is not allowed for that directory or something.

Post the error message that shows up in Apache's error log.
code:
[Thu Jan 22 17:07:03 2009] [error] [client 172.16.1.131] (13)Permission denied: access to /file.exe denied
Right now I am testing from inside the network, but it will need to be accessible from outside, if the above applys to some kind of ip restrictions.

GEEAAAHHHH- Fixed. gently caress you SELinux!

Catch 22 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 23, 2009

adante
Sep 18, 2003
I'm looking to build a nas for office stuff. Probably look at a raid 1 with backups to both physical hotplugged drive and remote sites. Password protected shares and so forth are necessary. I can set this stuff up without too much dramas (although never done this in any mission critical capacity), but the catch is that this needs to be managed with a graphical interface.

At the moment I'm considering either buying one of the QNAP boxes or using openfiler.

Just wondering if anybody had any comments on experiences with the above or alternative suggestions? In particular with regards to using these systems as normal linux distros and possibly installing some other random software onto them (mainly for remote backup/sync related tasks)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 13, 2017

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

GregNorc posted:

If I type up hex code in vim and save it, will it be recognized as hex by other programs, or just ascii text that to a human looks like hex?

The latter.

GregNorc posted:

If the latter, what's the best open source hex editor?

Personally, I use vim. You'll want to read :help using-xxd and possibly :help binary to get it setup properly.

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

adante posted:

I'm looking to build a nas for office stuff. Probably look at a raid 1 with backups to both physical hotplugged drive and remote sites. Password protected shares and so forth are necessary. I can set this stuff up without too much dramas (although never done this in any mission critical capacity), but the catch is that this needs to be managed with a graphical interface.

At the moment I'm considering either buying one of the QNAP boxes or using openfiler.

Just wondering if anybody had any comments on experiences with the above or alternative suggestions? In particular with regards to using these systems as normal linux distros and possibly installing some other random software onto them (mainly for remote backup/sync related tasks)

Try out freeNAS. Its based on m0n0wall, and I've had unqualified success with it as a NAS that authenticates against AD. Just do your due diligence and test the crap out of it first. I found that the latest versions sometimes do not work properly, so you have to go back to a previous release.

http://www.freenas.org/

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: doublepost

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 13, 2017

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

Look at the man file for xxd.

You can use

code:
$ xxd -r "hex" "binary"
Replacing hex with a file containing the hex code and binary will be the converted output.

I think that would work for what you need.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Are there any Linux programs [on Ubuntu] that are comparable to Apple's Aperture 2 photo editing and importing application?

I really like the interface and functionality of Aperture but Macbooks are way too expensive and OSX does not offer as much freedom as linux. In essence I'm trying to get a laptop with linux and want to be able to use it to store and organize raw data from my digital camera while traveling.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Mongolian Squid posted:

Are there any Linux programs [on Ubuntu] that are comparable to Apple's Aperture 2 photo editing and importing application?

I really like the interface and functionality of Aperture but Macbooks are way too expensive and OSX does not offer as much freedom as linux. In essence I'm trying to get a laptop with linux and want to be able to use it to store and organize raw data from my digital camera while traveling.
I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, but for handling cameras there's kamera and gwenview for KDE and gphoto2 and fspot for GNOME. Hope this helps somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo Hawk
Jul 17, 2006
HEADPHONE JACK
So I am looking for an Editor that can edit and upload directly to an FTP server. It seems there is nothing out there, even though I don't want to believe that.

I mean there are several that do that for Windows, so Linux should have lots of these already... but I cannot find anything.