Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

pagin flockowherewolves....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

My MBox does not work anymore, personally. I only know one person who still has a working MBox. I hear their most common point of failure is their USB port.

Odd that it might start acting up right when you buy Autotune, but if the iLok isn't plugged in and Pro Tools is failing, I'm not sure what else to tell you...

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
Really? The original one? I've had mine for years, and it seems to be indestructible. Of course, I have a friend whose Mbox--no poo poo--is held together by rubber bands, clothespins, and luck and has to be "reassembled" every few weeks. I'm going to assume its condition stems from a combination of three cats and a hearty appetite for whiskey :)

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah my Mbox itself seems to be perfectly fine, i don't get any crackling or noise from it and it's lit up. i leave it plugged in all the time, don't know if that matters, but until now it's never given me a problem. I think something is causing the computer or whatever to not see it, as opposed to the Mbox itself going faulty, cos once ProTools launches, there's no problem.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

My MBOX is in excellent condition and I've probably had it for 4 years now. I don't understand how anyone can have a broken Mbox lying around and not bother to crack the case open to see what might be the problem. Broken USB port? Solder the fucker back in place. What are you going to do, void the 30 day digidesign warranty?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Why is there no support for 64 bit OSes in DAWs? It seems like a huge problem. I want to record with tons of RAM, dammit.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Rashomon posted:

Why is there no support for 64 bit OSes in DAWs? It seems like a huge problem. I want to record with tons of RAM, dammit.

Me too :sigh:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rashomon posted:

Audio interface driver writers should hurry the gently caress up, too, since with 64-bit poo poo on Windows they should be signed.

Plus there's the way Vista handles audio; if only they got a Core Audio equivalent things would probably be better.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Seeing as how most experts agree that Vista is a dying OS and that Windows 7 has already been released in Beta, I wouldn't count on getting vista 64 bit drivers EVER.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

RivensBitch posted:

Seeing as how most experts agree that Vista is a dying OS and that Windows 7 has already been released in Beta, I wouldn't count on getting vista 64 bit drivers EVER.

Windows 7 can use Vista drivers, it'd be odd if only Win7 was supported.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

RivensBitch posted:

My MBOX is in excellent condition and I've probably had it for 4 years now. I don't understand how anyone can have a broken Mbox lying around and not bother to crack the case open to see what might be the problem. Broken USB port? Solder the fucker back in place. What are you going to do, void the 30 day digidesign warranty?
The one I know that works was soldered, as was that guy's 002R when the power harness kept coming loose inside of it. Mine isn't as obvious a fix because mine has some sort of crosstalk on the outputs, although it still records clean. Yea, sure, I might be able to fix it if I opened it up but there are other things that annoy me about the MBox when using it as anything but a Pro Tools dongle (like why can't I plug in a line level signal on an XLR cable?).

I probably know more people with working ones, but as far as people who move them around a lot and use them all the time...

Personally I'm pretty rough on gear. My MBox lasted 3.5 years or so, the MobilePre I bought to replace it for carrying around to concerts only lasted like 6 weeks in my backpack before some kind of horrible phantom power loop started happening, making it worthless for use with my RTA mic. I think I'm going to buy one of these as soon as my next paycheck clears. Those things are built like tanks for road warriors and location video stuff.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

RivensBitch posted:

When is Windows 7 scheduled for actual release? If it's in beta it can't be THAT far off, can it?

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
Hey, not so much a question as it is me showing some recording I do.

Check out a video of us recording our newest song. It gives you a better idea of what we do and how we do it. Let me know what you think.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

RivensBitch posted:

They didn't really change the driver architecture though in 7, whereas in the windows 6 kernel (vista and server2008) the driver architecture received a major overhall compared to what we'd seen in XP. Even if the laziest hardware manufactuers don't release 64bit drivers until 7 is released, it's likely those drivers will work in vista.

The open win7 beta just started. People are predicting an RC early this summer and a release in Q4-09 or Q1-10. As they always do, microsoft has stated that they'll make a release decision based on a quality bar and not a timeline so there is no official release date or anything.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

OK now I'm having an issue where the machine is hard freezing when I open ProTools, for about 2-3 seconds about once every couple minutes or when I'm trying to do something like play back audio. Neither my CPU nor my RAM are maxed out. Could it be a USB thing?

it doesn't seem like it should be the USB because the system freezes whether i'm playing back audio or not. i was going through my preferences and it hard froze, then it did it just now as i was writing up this post. but really i have no clue wtf it's doing

edit: I have had very tentative luck changing the RTAS processors to 2 instead of 4. so far so good

OKAY, checking again, I may be slowly working my way to the center of the problem. Left ProTools open last night, came back to it this morning (well I closed the session but left the program open). Opened a new session then hit play but it told me it couldn't play because my audio clock wasn't matching up with the program. So I figured I'd close ProTools and restart it, but trying to restart it gave me that "Hardware is either not installed or in use by another program." Could they be related?

Should I just make another thread?

Edit 2, working again after I changed the USB cable and port. If it goes down again I'll just make a new thread.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 17, 2009

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Gnarled Doodle posted:

Someone please tell me which headphones to buy for mixing and mastering, I don't care how much they cost, just tell me what ones to get and I will get them ok - but if they are poo poo I will be very mad at you about it.

Thanks
Ahhhh, a trick question.

Don't mix or master with headphones if you can avoid it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This may be a stupid question but would a faster PC reduce my latency? Or am I stuck with the same latency as long as I'm using the same audio interface?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Three Red Lights posted:

This may be a stupid question but would a faster PC reduce my latency? Or am I stuck with the same latency as long as I'm using the same audio interface?
A faster computer isn't going to increase the speed that the audio goes into and back out of the PC as that relies on the A/D, the implementation of the protocol, your divers, etc, but it could shorten the time it spends processing while it's inside.

One thing that may minimize latency is running at the highest sample rate you can, assuming that doesn't make your hard drive or CPU choke. There probably won't be a noticeable difference between 48KHz and 44.1KHz, but at 96KHz the time it takes to convert the audio is halved compared to 48KHz because of the way A/D converters work. For instance, a console like this goes from 5-6ms of latency at 48KHz to 2-3ms at 96KHz.

I'm honestly not sure how significantly this would affect a DAW's latency because I've never tried it, but theoretically it should. With a console like what I linked, all the processing is designed to run on DSP in real-time so you see almost every ms that gets saved by A/D, but I'm not sure if it will be so obvious with so many other variables in the signal path of your DAW.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

wixard posted:

A faster computer isn't going to increase the speed that the audio goes into and back out of the PC as that relies on the A/D, the implementation of the protocol, your divers, etc, but it could shorten the time it spends processing while it's inside.

Let me put it this way then. Would a faster pc let me pull down the amount of buffering needed and thus reduce it that way?

At the moment I'm getting 5 input latency and 88 output which is workable because everything ends alright when you play it back but its annoying as poo poo when monitoring.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 17, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Three Red Lights posted:

At the moment I'm getting 5 input latency and 88 output

That's uh. Weird. Which audio interface are you using again?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Alesis io/2, if I bring the buffers right right down to their minimum its 2 input /5 output but then that sounds like dogshit. Generally I have to keep pushing them up till it reaches stability at something ridiculous like that.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I really don't know the science behind it, but I know that after I upgraded my processor and and ram, my slightly noticeable latency when playing my electric drum kit through my software VSTi went away, and it made it finally feel like a live kit.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

Three Red Lights posted:

Alesis io/2, if I bring the buffers right right down to their minimum its 2 input /5 output but then that sounds like dogshit. Generally I have to keep pushing them up till it reaches stability at something ridiculous like that.

How fast is your processor and how much memory do you have? I could imagine that your problems are caused by a lame computer, but it's hard to judge without specs.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Roctor posted:

How fast is your processor and how much memory do you have? I could imagine that your problems are caused by a lame computer, but it's hard to judge without specs.

Pentium 4 3ghz 1g of ram

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

You should definitely be running more RAM but your processor shouldn't be causing you problems, at least not yet, unless you're running some top-of-the-line DAW and even then not really.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

Three Red Lights posted:

Pentium 4 3ghz 1g of ram

I agree with infiniteseal. You should definitely run with some more memory. Whether or not it's the cause of your problem is hard to say for sure, but my guess is that it is.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Yes upgrading your computer to something with a faster bus speed, more ram, and faster ram/processor(s) will usually allow you to lower your buffer settings with more stability.

Also in my experience, running a higher sample rate causes the same overhead increase as decreasing the buffer size.

A quad core Q6600 with motherboard can be had pretty cheap these days, add 4gb of ram and you're good to go.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Any suggestions for an interface that will recieve two instruments plus a mic for a vista 64 machine? Preferably USB. It seems mad to me that companies aren't jumping on the 64bit wagon as fast as possible since more RAM can only be a good thing.... I'm looking at you Roland, do you plan on ever releasing drivers for my 700? Nope.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

gently caress Roland.

There I said it.

Alferd Packer
Sep 17, 2004

Fudge, Packer?
I have $500...

Cubase Studio 4($400) or Cakewalk Sonar Producer 8($500).

Cubase pros as I see it:

-Familiarity(I worked in a studio using SX for a couple years)...I'm pretty comfortable with how audio files are handled in Cubase.
-Along with the familiarity thing, I'm pretty used to the onboard effects plugins(dynamics, EQ, etc) and I've actually grown to like them over the years.

Cakewalk pros:

-Lots of softsynths(I have none at the moment and this is potentially a big selling point)...I have read they are decent synths too, and I've heard Cubase's aren't...we used Absynth and Battery in the studio mostly so I don't know.

Cubase cons:

-Stupid dongle crap. I understand why they do this but I just get irritated at giving up a USB slot for this.

-Stability? I have seen problems with Cubase just not working on a lot of hardware.

Cakewalk cons:

-Unfamiliarity. Learning new software sucks.

So pretty much I am leaning towards Cakewalk...I really just wanted to give the internet one last chance to say NO WAY MAN NOT CAKEWALK!

dsquash
Jul 6, 2000
Would most laptops these days be able to handle 4 track recording from a Firewire interface (or USB doesn't really matter to me)? I can afford a 2.2Ghz Core 2 duo with 2gigs of ram.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
Those of you who do everything yourselves, how are you mastering? Do you master one bounced file, do you do stems, multiple mixes? What programs, plugins, etc. do you like? I've been doing what I can but I'd be interested to hear other methods.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hey folks. I've been putting off getting some decent recording equipment for years and have finally decided to take the plunge. I ordered a Rhode NT2-A Condenser microphone and an M-Audio Firewire Solo about a week ago and I've been pretty excited about getting them.

Today I've got an email from the supplier saying their last Firewire Solo had a fault and they couldn't send it to me. They offered me the choice of either sourcing another one from M-Audio, or, they could send me the Mackie Onyx Satellite which is the same price.

Has anyone tried both of these units by any chance? Or at least knows a bit about them and could give me a good comparison? As far as I can see they are very similar, although the Mackie has more inputs and the whole 'docking' system. Also, I keep hearing very good things about the pre-amps on the Mackie.

I only need a pretty simple interface. I'm going to be recording mostly vocals, piano and acoustic guitar, not a huge amount of tracks, with maybe some sequenced drum patterns or something. I can't see myself ever wanting to record from more than 2 sources at once at this stage.

My impression of it is that the Mackie is slightly better featured but fiddlier to use, and possibly has better pre-amps. I'm very new to home recording so I'm finding it pretty hard to make a decision.

Cheers people.

Links to product pages:

http://www.mackie.com/products/satellite/
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo.html

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Go check out the mackie forums before ordering a satellite. I'd be curious to see how well their drivers are being received.

My Precious Violin Case
Aug 1, 2004

Is it gay that I want to see it?
I'm not sure where exactly to ask this (or what to google) but how/where should I store a microphone? I do my recording in the basement of our house and it has been getting pretty drat cold because of the winter. I keep my mic in the little leather pouch that it came in but it's pretty cold to the touch when I take it out. Should I be taking it upstairs after every use? It's a condenser microphone if that matters.

Are there any maintenance tips I should be aware of?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

My Precious Violin Case posted:

I'm not sure where exactly to ask this (or what to google) but how/where should I store a microphone? I do my recording in the basement of our house and it has been getting pretty drat cold because of the winter. I keep my mic in the little leather pouch that it came in but it's pretty cold to the touch when I take it out. Should I be taking it upstairs after every use? It's a condenser microphone if that matters.

Are there any maintenance tips I should be aware of?
Well just make sure there's no moisture condensing on the condenser and screwing with the electronics.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I really need some help choosing a FireWire interface. I'm looking around the £150-£200 mark, and I'm torn between some of the M-Audio interfaces, something like the PreSonus Firebox and the Mackie Onyx Satellite. Pre-Amp quality is very important to me, and from the various reviews and anecdotes it seems like Mackie is the best for that, everyone seems very impressed with them, but I've read things about issues with the dock connector, channel bleed, and other issues. Of course it's mostly the people with complaints that you hear from rather than those with no issues at all so it's hard to tell how much of an issue with this.

I don't think I need to be able to record more than 2 simultaneous channels, however I do want something with plenty of input and output options. I'm put off by the Firewire Solo only having 1 XLR.

Does anyone have experience with a few different interfaces around this level and price-point that could cast some light on the subject?

edit: From the Mackie forums, new firmware and drivers have seemed to fix most of the issues people had, like not being able to mix the DAW output with live input, and the buffer can now be set down to 64 samples, and Vista is supported.

edit again: It doesn't have to be one of the models I mentioned, I'm opening to hearing about any good alternatives. A lot of my stuff is going to be very focussed on the vocals though, good preamps really are key here.

chippy fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 23, 2009

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I haven't used the M-Audio interface, but I've been using the Satellite for the last few months and have been very happy with it. The pres are good (for its price), there's tons of i/o's and the thing is built like a tank.

If it's up and running on Vista then I'd say go with that.

Edit: I've worked with a few other interfaces around that price range and I think the Mackie is one of the better ones you can get. My only complaint about it is that it's not very portable and you lose a few i/o's by dropping the base.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 23, 2009

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, I went for the Satellite in the end. After reading literally hundreds of user reviews the thing that kept coming up time and time again was people being massively impressed with the preamps and that they were comparable with the ones in much higher-end gear. Whereas I found a lot saying that the M-Audio ones were good but nothing special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I have a few questions and I'm a complete newbie at this. Basically I'm learning guitar and have gotten to the point where I'd like to record my playing, mainly as a learning tool, and maybe do something (hopefully) simple like combine a rhythm and lead track. Not looking to actually produce anything or do a lot of screwing around with things once they're recorded, so generally pretty basic, but I would like it to have somewhat decent sound quality. This is all with an accoustic guitar, by the way.

So, my impression is that to do something like this on the computer requires basically a microphone, recording interface, and some kind of music program to record it. That seems to run pretty pricey, however, with each piece being a couple hundred dollars or so. Seems a little overkill for basically wanting to do some simple stuff (at least at this point). I guess the upside would be that it leaves room for more advanced recording stuff in the future if I want

Or would it make more sense to get a digital recorder like a Zoom H4, or even a USB mic?