Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Wandering Knitter posted:

I don't know how many of you here are also nerds, but The Sun has the Sackboy (from Little Big Planet) pattern from Simply Knitting for download.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fun/gizmo/article2056598.ece

I don't even own a PS3 and I want to make it.

It's an Alan Dart pattern, too! I love it when my two favorite past times come together.
Whoohoo! After I finish some more socks I was planning on making the companion cube, and now I can add this to the list too :D

I wonder if I can put in some foam to make the head a little squarer?...

edit: I don't know how to crochet but if anyone does and wants to make Bender:
http://stitch.hellooperator.net/free-patterns/bender-bending-rodriguez-amigurumi-pattern/

jomiel fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

I love fingerless gloves/armwarmers, but if you do the long versions, what on earth do you wear them with? Do you wear short sleeves in the winter? Or only tops baggy enough to fit the armwarmers underneath? I love making them, I love the way they look, but I cannot figure out how to wear them practically in the real world (except for maybe a couple weeks during fall).

Most of my long sleeve tops and sweaters are baggy enough to accomodate the gloves, but honestly, I just planned on taking them off when I took my coat off. V:shobon:V

That Sackboy is adorable, and as long as we're bringing up nerdy toys, http://mychawd.blogspot.com/2008/06/brain-slug.html

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Mnemosyne posted:

I've only dabbled a little bit with knitting in the round (due to the fact that I was using those annoying Clover bamboo circulars with the super stiff cables), so correct me if this is wrong. I've read that you don't actually need a second set of the same size tips for knitting in the round with two circulars. Since you're only technically knitting with two of the tips, and then sliding the work down/back around to the other end, the ends that you are knitting off of can technically be one size smaller than the tips you're knitting on to. Then you don't have to buy a second set of tips of the same size.

I'm pretty sure the rule is that whenever you're knitting with two needles in the round you always use two ends of the SAME needle, then switch to the other needle and use both ends of that one. Knitting from one off onto the other one would land you with all the stitches on one needle and I don't know what you'd do then.

I could be massively wrong, though. It's not like it's never happened before.

I mean, that would work if you were using the interchangable ones and taking the one set of tips off the cord for one side, knitting the other side, and then switching the tips to the other cable...is that what you mean? Two cables, one set of tips?

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Z Is Overrated posted:

I finished knitting this sweater in that exact same yarn a few months ago. It really is a fun pattern. The arm shaping tripped me up a little bit when I first encountered it, but as soon as I figured it out it was a breeze.

Ack, help! I just got to the arm shaping last night and I'm stuck. I have 12 bound off stitches now and 69 on the needles, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the pattern to line up. I have knit and frogged this row like 8 times already.

Can you offer any tips or advice? What did you end up doing to get the shaping right? I'm so confused. :(

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Aardvarklet posted:

Ack, help! I just got to the arm shaping last night and I'm stuck. I have 12 bound off stitches now and 69 on the needles, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the pattern to line up. I have knit and frogged this row like 8 times already.

Can you offer any tips or advice? What did you end up doing to get the shaping right? I'm so confused. :(

The main thing that helped me was making sure that the S2KP lined up with the ones below it (it should look like a straight, vertical line), and then basing whether I did the entire repeat from there. If the S2KP was close enough to the edge that I couldn't do one of the YOs, then I just skipped that repeat and did stockinette until I reached the next one. If I could fit the whole repeat in there, then it went in. It did leave a few stitches of stockinette on the sides, but no one's gonna be looking that closely at your arm pits anyway.

Talise
Mar 16, 2004
FATTY FATTY ANIME LOL

Mnemosyne posted:

I've only dabbled a little bit with knitting in the round (due to the fact that I was using those annoying Clover bamboo circulars with the super stiff cables), so correct me if this is wrong. I've read that you don't actually need a second set of the same size tips for knitting in the round with two circulars. Since you're only technically knitting with two of the tips, and then sliding the work down/back around to the other end, the ends that you are knitting off of can technically be one size smaller than the tips you're knitting on to. Then you don't have to buy a second set of tips of the same size.

Even better, you can order a set of 40" cables for 3.99. and then magic loop EVERYTHING. I'm currently using magic loop to make a beret, and I find it much less fiddly than working properly in the round on 24" circular needle as is suggested by the pattern.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Z Is Overrated posted:

The main thing that helped me was making sure that the S2KP lined up with the ones below it (it should look like a straight, vertical line), and then basing whether I did the entire repeat from there. If the S2KP was close enough to the edge that I couldn't do one of the YOs, then I just skipped that repeat and did stockinette until I reached the next one. If I could fit the whole repeat in there, then it went in. It did leave a few stitches of stockinette on the sides, but no one's gonna be looking that closely at your arm pits anyway.

Thank you, I will be giving this a try later. This is my first sweater knit flat, and I'm finding that the logistics are just a bit more difficult for me than knitting in the round. I'm glad to know that fudging the pattern a bit is ok!

Edit: (Warning, I'm about to brag.) My mom is the greatest mom on Earth. Her LYS had a 40% off sale the Saturday after Christmas, and she sent me a metric ton of stuff. I got a whole bunch of Manos, some neat stuff called Fleece Artist, and enough Cascade 220 to make a nice sweater. I love my mom. :)

Aardvarklet fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 16, 2009

NumbersAndNoise
Jan 13, 2005

Nothing but numbers and noise.

Aardvarklet posted:

Thank you, I will be giving this a try later. This is my first sweater knit flat, and I'm finding that the logistics are just a bit more difficult for me than knitting in the round. I'm glad to know that fudging the pattern a bit is ok!

Edit: (Warning, I'm about to brag.) My mom is the greatest mom on Earth. Her LYS had a 40% off sale the Saturday after Christmas, and she sent me a metric ton of stuff. I got a whole bunch of Manos, some neat stuff called Fleece Artist, and enough Cascade 220 to make a nice sweater. I love my mom. :)

Did that LYS happen to be Yorkshire Yarns?

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
Nope, it was Wool & Company in Geneva, IL. I wish my LYS had that kind of a sale, although it probably would mean bankruptcy for me.

Z is Overrated, thank you so much for the Hey, Teach suggestions! I finally got it figured out last night. I was really worried there for a bit.

Does anyone have a pattern suggestion for my first pair of socks? I would really like to do something interesting but not too complicated...

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Talise posted:

Even better, you can order a set of 40" cables for 3.99. and then magic loop EVERYTHING. I'm currently using magic loop to make a beret, and I find it much less fiddly than working properly in the round on 24" circular needle as is suggested by the pattern.

Get the 47" cable, too. Those extra seven inches make all the difference for me. When I first started knitting socks magic loop two at a time, I really had trouble. When I got to turning the heel, I had so little free cable on either side that I kept pulling it in. I had to put a stitch marker to mark the sides. But on a 47" I have loads of play. I bought a full set of harmony fixed circs in the small sizes in 40", then went back and ordered them all again in 47". And then, ordered them a third time in 47" and nickle plated. I probably will end up replacing all of my harmony tips with nickle plated.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've come to torment you all again!

I just got a knitting pattern for the most freaking adorable octopus ever http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19842343 but I've already hit a hiccup.

The pattern has k1tb1 in it. Googling it leads to some japanese patterns of all things. Does anyone know what this means? I've emailed the pattern's creator, but I haven't heard back from her yet.

Anyone have an idea?

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007

I just got a knitting pattern for the most freaking adorable octopus ever http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19842343 but I've already hit a hiccup.

The pattern has k1tb1 in it. Googling it leads to some japanese patterns of all things. Does anyone know what this means? I've emailed the pattern's creator, but I haven't heard back from her yet.

Anyone have an idea?

Could it be k1tbl = knit 1 through back loop?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Nrapture posted:

Could it be k1tbl = knit 1 through back loop?

Hm. Count the next row - if it's an increase, it's knit one then knit another through the same stitch's back loop. If it's not an increase, I bet it's knit through back loop.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Anyone have an idea?

Either this is also you, or someone else had the same problem:
http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/techniques/489010/1-25

The link includes a video showing how it's done.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
Has anyone on here made Dalek? http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/who/extermaknit.html

I started making my dad the Robot Illusion scarf, but I'm finding it incredibly boring (knitting a 5-foot scarf on size 6 needles suuuuuucks). I'm thinking I might just frog it and make him a Dalek instead. I guess I'm just curious if it's as difficult as it looks. It's gotten mixed reviews on Ravelry. It would be my first toy, if that makes any difference...

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Hi, guys, I just finished this bag.

I really love doing Fair Isle in the round; this went pretty fast. I'm disappointed that it fuzzed up so much during felting, though! The pattern is supposed to be a bass and bass clef.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

The Young Marge posted:

I really love doing Fair Isle in the round; this went pretty fast. I'm disappointed that it fuzzed up so much during felting, though! The pattern is supposed to be a bass and bass clef.

That's a cool bag! I've experienced fuzzy pattern when felting, too. I think we just have to live with it.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Sometimes I shave my felted stuff to get rid of some fuzzies--just use a normal disposable razor~

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

The Young Marge posted:

That is awesome, and it makes me want to give Fair Isle a try. For what it's worth, you can still totally tell it's a bass/bass clef, even with the fuzzing.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

The Young Marge posted:

Awesome bag! Absolutely love the bass pattern!!! I have never seemed to get Fair Isle down. :( Way to go!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Goldaline posted:

Sometimes I shave my felted stuff to get rid of some fuzzies--just use a normal disposable razor~
I've tried that, but it doesn't always work.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Thanks for the "shave it" idea; I'll have to try that! This is the first time I ever tried to felt anything.

Definitely give Fair Isle a try if you haven't before; it's really not bad. The Stitch & Bitch book says it's hard, but I didn't think so at all; it just took a little getting used to. The two-handed approach is fun and makes you feel all cool. And it's really rewarding to design your own charts for patterns.

A hat would be a nice way to get started on Fair Isle, or a bag like I made. Doing it in the round is great because you never have to purl and it's easier to understand/visualize what your hands should be doing. I started a hat last night for my husband; like the bag, it'll have 3 colors and I'll be designing the patterns for it as I go. That's another neat thing about Fair Isle - you can get creative with it and invent patterns as you go. The book "Knitting Without Tears" helped me to learn and embrace it.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Oh wow, that is such a cute bag! I don't think I'll be trying Fair Isle anytime soon though; I still haven't learned how to purl yet, much less knit in a round.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Splash Attack posted:

Oh wow, that is such a cute bag! I don't think I'll be trying Fair Isle anytime soon though; I still haven't learned how to purl yet, much less knit in a round.

Knitting big things in the round is the easiest thing ever. I knit everything on circular needles right now. It's just less of a pain than losing one needle and being screwed.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Splash Attack posted:

If you know how to knit, you know how to knit in the round. No purling necessary. :)
It's seriously the easiest thing in the world, just join the knitting on the circulars and knit away!

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Midnight Sun posted:

If you know how to knit, you know how to knit in the round. No purling necessary. :)
It's seriously the easiest thing in the world, just join the knitting on the circulars and knit away!

Ohhh, so that what it is! I'm dumb and thought 'knitting in the round' was the one where you knit with three needles; I took one look at a diagram of that and went "AHHH"

I'm going to need to buy circulars then, my mom gave me her old stash of yarn and I found two circulars hidden among the yarn, but they feel too small and... not right. :(

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Splash Attack posted:

Ohhh, so that what it is! I'm dumb and thought 'knitting in the round' was the one where you knit with three needles; I took one look at a diagram of that and went "AHHH"

I'm going to need to buy circulars then, my mom gave me her old stash of yarn and I found two circulars hidden among the yarn, but they feel too small and... not right. :(

Oh, you mean with five? That's pretty easy too. I dunno, circulars flop around and get in the way for me.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Splash Attack posted:

I'm dumb and thought 'knitting in the round' was the one where you knit with three needles

You were right, that's also knitting in the round :)

I like using double pointed needles for smaller things better than circulars to be honest. It's a lot easier than it looks, especially because you're really only using two needles at a time anyway.

Gently Used Coat fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 23, 2009

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
At the mo I'm knitting my first sock. I can't be arsed with pairs, so it's just going to be a lucky decorative sock. My Boyfriends UBER JUMPER (large enough for several MMO players is getting sewn up this weekend.

Until then enjoy the scarf I designed and made for my mum!

Clover lace (nicked from stitch n bitch nation) with garter stitch edging for main. Weird diamond pattern off an 80's baby cardigan pattern for ends. Yarn was Wendy Fusion in Cajun.
My mum ended up not liking it because it was *whinge voice*itchy. She asked for a wool blend!! She got one!! :argh:

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!
madlilnerd, that is a very impressive scarf, hopefully she'll suck it up and wear it regardless of the itch-factor.

I have a dumb question for a more experienced knitter than I. This set of directions is throwing me off a bit. If you look at the section labeled Body the directions are "Work Chevron Pattern: Beg with st 7 of Chart A, then rep the 10 sts of Chart A 4 times, work Chart B, rep the 10 sts of Chart C 4 times, end with first 4 st of Chart C. Continue working in pattern until piece measures 22½", ending with a RS row." and the pattern is at the bottom of the page. I just don't get what they mean by "beg with st 7 of chart A." Are they saying do step 7 or only 7 stitches, and if so which 7-- the first on a row or the last?

I'm sure I'm making this out to be much more difficult that it is, but if someone wouldn't mind glancing at it, I'd really appreciate it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
To me it looks like they want you to start chart A but at the very beginning you start on stitch seven - you're starting the chart in the middle but then you repeat so you'd do stitchs 7-10 - so purl, purl, purl, purl, then you go back to the beginning of chart A and do 1-10 four times. Then you do chart B, then you do chart C 1-10 four times and then you do chart C just the first four stitches.

It's just to make the very middle of the middle chart actually end up in the middle of the sweater.

Am I making sense?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

McDougirl posted:

I have a dumb question for a more experienced knitter than I. This set of directions is throwing me off a bit. If you look at the section labeled Body the directions are "Work Chevron Pattern: Beg with st 7 of Chart A, then rep the 10 sts of Chart A 4 times, work Chart B, rep the 10 sts of Chart C 4 times, end with first 4 st of Chart C. Continue working in pattern until piece measures 22½", ending with a RS row." and the pattern is at the bottom of the page. I just don't get what they mean by "beg with st 7 of chart A." Are they saying do step 7 or only 7 stitches, and if so which 7-- the first on a row or the last?

I'm sure I'm making this out to be much more difficult that it is, but if someone wouldn't mind glancing at it, I'd really appreciate it.
I always write this poo poo out in kindergartner language before I start a pattern, because God knows otherwise I'd get completely confused halfway through. In this case, I'd write it out like this:

Chart A rows 7-10
Chart A rows 1-10
Chart A rows 1-10
Chart A rows 1-10
Chart A rows 1-10
Chart B
Chart C rows 1-10
Chart C rows 1-10
Chart C rows 1-10
Chart C rows 1-10
Chart C rows 1-4

But it's hard to tell without looking at the charts or anything else. Also, aren't there pictures? A lot of the time you can figure out things like this from looking at the end product.

e: I'm so retarded I didn't even realize you'd posted the pattern. There are a bunch of pictures on Ravelry, if you're a member. Also, coincidentally, I'm making a really similar shrug except there's no interesting body texture and I want the collar to stand up, like this (not me, just GISed it).

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 27, 2009

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
Thank you both so much, when I was reading you explanations I audibly went "ooooooooh," and then i felt like an idiot. Yeah, the only pictures are the ones in the link, and while they show the pattern, they don't show the garment laying flat (or even from a useful angle) which definitely would have assisted. I'll post pics when I'm done though.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Anne Whateley posted:

e: I'm so retarded I didn't even realize you'd posted the pattern. There are a bunch of pictures on Ravelry, if you're a member. Also, coincidentally, I'm making a really similar shrug except there's no interesting body texture and I want the collar to stand up, like this (not me, just GISed it).

I just made that shrug. :) My first sweater ever.

Click here for the full 500x667 image.

PS: How do you guys stave off self-hate after you screw up a project you've spent lots of time and money on? I'm dealing with those feelings at the moment...

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006

hollaback grandma posted:

PS: How do you guys stave off self-hate after you screw up a project you've spent lots of time and money on? I'm dealing with those feelings at the moment...

Well personally, I am perfect, so that has never been an issue for me ever. Never.

But really... I just made a sweater for my dog that is no good, so after I've done a few more acceptable projects, I'm going to take some pictures, and then rip it apart and start afresh. I find that doing some simpler projects makes me forget how badly the previous one went, and then I'm all ready for it.

Of course, I've yet to hate anything really big I've made, so I guess we'll have to see how that goes when I do.

Anne Whateley posted:

ravelry

You know, I've been putting off joining because I figure one less knitting-related distraction is probably a good thing, but now I guess I haveto. There's just no way around it.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

I made a jumper and used visible increases (lazy...) that showed up as rows of little holes either side of the sleeve seem.
The owner of the jumper calls them "ventilation holes"

I also messed up with my rib multiple times, but I hate rib and after redoing it and still messing it up I kept with it til the end and proudly proclaimed the jumped to be "rustic" at every possible opportunity (my mum was pulling the "unravel this and DO IT AGAIN" face).

gum bichromate
Sep 4, 2006

~*~*~*~*~*~*~* I AM NOT A SLAVE! TO A BREED!! THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!! THE BEAUTIFUL PIBBLE, THE BEAUTIFUL PIBBLE
~*~*~*~*~*~*
I just StumbleUpon'ed this site and I'm totally joining up. They collect hand-knitted or crocheted bears and give them to children in third-world countries suffering from HIV/AIDS. Has anyone done this?

http://www.motherbearproject.org

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

It depends.

If it's wool I cut it up, sew it together, and re-felt into something new. I had a failed lunch bag that turned into a pretty sweet demented teddy bear. I'd take a picture of it, but my cousin' cat as claimed it as it's own.

If it's not wool I hide it in a special box I have filled with abandoned or failed projects and I pretend it never happened. :ohdear:

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

I just got on here today after completely loving up TWO different sweater projects I had going. I'm just going to set them down for awhile and do something smaller. It's a bummer, but right now I'm at the point where I want to light them on fire, which would be a tremendous waste of yarn, so I just need to take a step back.

Going to work on my stuffed robot some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

Aardvarklet posted:

I just got on here today after completely loving up TWO different sweater projects I had going. I'm just going to set them down for awhile and do something smaller. It's a bummer, but right now I'm at the point where I want to light them on fire, which would be a tremendous waste of yarn, so I just need to take a step back.

Going to work on my stuffed robot some more.

Mine was a sweater project. KER-SIGH. If yarn wasn't so recyclable I probably would have thrown myself off a bridge by now.

On a lighter note, my first true lace project is coming along pretty nicely!