Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

So I've decided to put some serious power into my Legacy GT - I've already got a Perrin catless uppipe, Perrin catted downpipe, and Perrin top mount intercooler sitting in my garage (Haven't installed any of these yet). I figure that since I'm going to have the install professionally done, I might as well go whole hog, and just replace the turbo while I've at it - I've got a Deadbolt 18G on order. I figure with all this and a proper tune, I should be pushing around 320 horsepower at the wheels.

While I'm doing all of this, should I replace the catback exhaust too? I've generally regarding CBE as a somewhat unnecessary modification, but I figure it might help the new turbo breathe a bit better. My train of thought in this is since I'm going to need to pay for a tune for my Accessport, I might as well do all the mods at once and only need to buy a single tune.

If I were to replace it, I figure I'd replace it with the one Borla makes - most of the other ones sound far too ricey and loud. (I guess the old Corvette owner side of me is kicking in - from the sound clips I've heard, the Borla makes almost a V8 sort of rumble).

It's amazed me how much more willing I've been to sink money into this than my old C5. With the KW Tarmac 1's and swaybars I've put on, this thing handles like a dream too - however, the stock tires need to go too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
it will certainly help. We recently tuned an sti with a cutout off the downpipe and an external wastegate, and it made about the most power anyone has ever seen on the stock turbo. 365whp on about 95 octane (stock reads 230ish).

Replacing the header and up-pipe will see more gains than just the up-pipe as well. I really like the gt-spec/mad dad/tomei EL parts. They do make a slightly different sound though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 15, 2009

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jamal posted:

wow. Someone who knows what they're doing can do it in less than 3 hours.

:/ well I certainly hope all this time they're taking means they're doing it right. The last thing I want is for something to go wrong related to a poor install right after I'm out from under warranty.

Do dealerships ever do any kind of labor guarantee on work that's done right before the regular warranty is up?

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

jamal posted:

wow. Someone who knows what they're doing can do it in less than 3 hours.

Gah, this is more true than most know. I could do it in 2 with an hour's break.

Subarus have the easiest AWD trannies to swap bar none. My boss can swap a box, by himself, in 15 minutes if he's got a lift and two tranny jack with everything already lined up.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Turbo Car posted:

Gah, this is more true than most know. I could do it in 2 with an hour's break.

Subarus have the easiest AWD trannies to swap bar none. My boss can swap a box, by himself, in 15 minutes if he's got a lift and two tranny jack with everything already lined up.

this makes me wonder if they're repairing it, not replacing it... service duder told me they were replacing the whole thing, wonder if he's talking out of his rear end.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MMD3 posted:

this makes me wonder if they're repairing it, not replacing it... service duder told me they were replacing the whole thing, wonder if he's talking out of his rear end.

quote:

I just got a call an hour ago that apparently they need a few pins and a nut that they didn't order so now they have to overnight those. Uhhh, why didn't you realize this on Monday?

The only pieces you would need to swap should be easily on hand or obtainable and certainly I cant think of a nut off the top of my head that needs to be replaced on a gearbox swap. My guess is that they cracked the box open and found things were not good inside.

The service guy might of meant they were replacing all the internals. As others have said, a Subaru's gearbox is a piss easy swap for a gearbox.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

no way did a saab dealership crack open a subaru gearbox.

If I had to guess they broke one of the spring pins on the axle and rounded off a nut on the bellhousing or something. Those bottom ones are pretty easy to gently caress up if you don't have a really short wobbly socket.

I think it bugs the snap-on guy when I buy individual sockets.

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 15, 2009

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

jamal posted:

it will certainly help. We recently tuned an sti with a cutout off the downpipe and an external wastegate, and it made about the most power anyone has ever seen on the stock turbo. 365whp on about 95 octane (stock reads 230ish).

Replacing the header and up-pipe will see more gains than just the up-pipe as well. I really like the gt-spec/mad dad/tomei EL parts. They do make a slightly different sound though.

Primary issue I have with replacing the header is that all the equal length ones make the car sound really gross. Are there any decent unequal length ones out there?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

TeamIce posted:

Primary issue I have with replacing the header is that all the equal length ones make the car sound really gross. Are there any decent unequal length ones out there?

these are really good. They come with an up-pipe, so you'd have to sell that perrin.

rallysportdirect has good prices, although I might be able to get them for a bit less.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jamal posted:

no way did a saab dealership crack open a subaru gearbox.

If I had to guess they broke one of the spring pins on the axle and rounded off a nut on the bellhousing or something. Those bottom ones are pretty easy to gently caress up if you don't have a really short wobbly socket.

I think it bugs the snap-on guy when I buy individual sockets.

loving sigh... talked to the service duder again, yeah, they replaced the whole thing. He kept repeating how they haven't had to do one of these before so they want to make sure they do it right... okay, I get that but, 3 days? really?

so he called just now to tell me that they had it back in and everything put back together but the mechanic needed to bleed the lines and that would take driving around for a bit and he wanted to make sure everything was good so I'll have to pick it up tomorrow morning.

I certainly hope I don't have to take my car back to the dealership again before my warranty is up. Time to find a good Subaru mechanic in PDX.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TeamIce posted:

So I've decided to put some serious power into my Legacy GT - I've already got a Perrin catless uppipe, Perrin catted downpipe, and Perrin top mount intercooler sitting in my garage (Haven't installed any of these yet). I figure that since I'm going to have the install professionally done, I might as well go whole hog, and just replace the turbo while I've at it - I've got a Deadbolt 18G on order. I figure with all this and a proper tune, I should be pushing around 320 horsepower at the wheels.

While I'm doing all of this, should I replace the catback exhaust too? I've generally regarding CBE as a somewhat unnecessary modification, but I figure it might help the new turbo breathe a bit better. My train of thought in this is since I'm going to need to pay for a tune for my Accessport, I might as well do all the mods at once and only need to buy a single tune.

If I were to replace it, I figure I'd replace it with the one Borla makes - most of the other ones sound far too ricey and loud. (I guess the old Corvette owner side of me is kicking in - from the sound clips I've heard, the Borla makes almost a V8 sort of rumble).

It's amazed me how much more willing I've been to sink money into this than my old C5. With the KW Tarmac 1's and swaybars I've put on, this thing handles like a dream too - however, the stock tires need to go too.
The stock exhaust is pretty decent on the LGT, but once you go BT, there are enough gains to justify it. Good legacy GT setups cost a lot. I've also been told that the SPT exhaust is actually pretty darn good (and sounds good), but expensive.
However, there was some guy with a pretty heavily modified LGT wagon here running to stock cans (though I believe the rest was replaced). There is some value in it as it runs quiet as hell, pretty sleepy.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

MMD3 posted:

loving sigh... talked to the service duder again, yeah, they replaced the whole thing. He kept repeating how they haven't had to do one of these before so they want to make sure they do it right... okay, I get that but, 3 days? really?

so he called just now to tell me that they had it back in and everything put back together but the mechanic needed to bleed the lines and that would take driving around for a bit and he wanted to make sure everything was good so I'll have to pick it up tomorrow morning.

I certainly hope I don't have to take my car back to the dealership again before my warranty is up. Time to find a good Subaru mechanic in PDX.

uh, you said it was a manual, right? There aren't any lines he would have to bleed.

Call surgeline tuning. If they don't do service stuff they'll be able to direct you to a good place that does.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jamal posted:

uh, you said it was a manual, right? There aren't any lines he would have to bleed.

Call surgeline tuning. If they don't do service stuff they'll be able to direct you to a good place that does.

eh... when I go to pick it up tomorrow I'll try to find out what exactly they were bleeding or having to do that made me wait an extra day.

I've been by Surgeline, great guys, if/when I go the Cobb Stage 2 route I'll have them do it. They're a little out of the way though so I'd rather find someone for the standard stuff inbetween home and work. I'll ask them if they can recommend someone though when I'm out from under my warranty.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

jamal posted:

Clutch line

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

oh yeah. not like it takes more than 2 minutes though.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.
It took 3 days to swap a transmission that can be done in well under 2 hours. Nothing is outside of the realm of possibilities.
More than likely though they had someone working on it who had no idea what he was doing and took way too long and they are trying to come up with a good enough story to stall for more time.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

TeamIce posted:

I had as Greddy SP2 catback on my wagon and loved the poo poo out of it.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ChunksNensja posted:

It took 3 days to swap a transmission that can be done in well under 2 hours. Nothing is outside of the realm of possibilities.
More than likely though they had someone working on it who had no idea what he was doing and took way too long and they are trying to come up with a good enough story to stall for more time.

another call from service dept. "stop by around 3:30 and we'll have it ready by then. I just need them to take it on one more test drive and we'll be set"

...you told me last night at 4 that you wouldn't be able to have it to me by 5 because they had to take it on one last drive. wtf.

Raganti
Sep 25, 2007
I AM TO CHEAP TO BUY AN ACCOUNT!

MMD3 posted:

another call from service dept. "stop by around 3:30 and we'll have it ready by then. I just need them to take it on one more test drive and we'll be set"

...you told me last night at 4 that you wouldn't be able to have it to me by 5 because they had to take it on one last drive. wtf.

Maybe they really like driving your car around. :v:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Raganti posted:

Maybe they really like driving your car around. :v:

:(

well, finally got it back and shifting feels a lot better so I'll count this as worth the wait. the service guy tried to coach me on the survey form I'll be getting form Saab though. He showed me what it would look like and was like... it doesn't matter how you answer these other questions, but these ones here effect my pay so if you could answer those "completely satisfied"...

uhh.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

MMD3 posted:

well, finally got it back and shifting feels a lot better so I'll count this as worth the wait. the service guy tried to coach me on the survey form I'll be getting form Saab though. He showed me what it would look like and was like... it doesn't matter how you answer these other questions, but these ones here effect my pay so if you could answer those "completely satisfied"...

uhh.

They did that to me when I bought my WRX. There is specifically a question asking you if you were coached on the answers. If you don't like them, answer honestly and then say that they did try to coach you on the answers, and then never take your car back there again.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

well I had a fun day today:

although I could have sworn I took more pictures. Too bad I spent most of the day doing other poo poo and digging around for missing stuff.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Can someone tell me about cheapo ebay downpipes? I really want a new one, but really dont want to spend $500. Theres tons of downpipes on ebay in the 100-150 range, which is much better. Same thing with headers, too. I realize they may not be made as well as the name brands, but I can deal with that for that big a price difference.
Will I hate myself if I get this http://tinyurl.com/a6yh33 and this http://tinyurl.com/8cdqtg ?

Oh, this is going on my 2004 Forester XT :)

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 18, 2009

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

jamal posted:

well I had a fun day today:

although I could have sworn I took more pictures. Too bad I spent most of the day doing other poo poo and digging around for missing stuff.

YES. I love the look of the semi-closed deck and the forged sleeves.

ChunksNensja posted:

More than likely though they had someone working on it who had no idea what he was doing and took way too long and they are trying to come up with a good enough story to stall for more time

The billable hours would be 7-8 hours for a class B technician, so I could see 2 days. They probably had no idea if it was a good swap, so they took another to check it out. Dumb, but for a tech that only sees tranverse engines and probably doesn't do much AWD work, maybe reasonable like you said.

Fortunately it's all free to you!

Turbo Car fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 18, 2009

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

hedgegnome posted:

Can someone tell me about cheapo ebay downpipes? I really want a new one, but really dont want to spend $500. Theres tons of downpipes on ebay in the 100-150 range, which is much better. Same thing with headers, too. I realize they may not be made as well as the name brands, but I can deal with that for that big a price difference.
Will I hate myself if I get this http://tinyurl.com/a6yh33 and this http://tinyurl.com/8cdqtg ?

Oh, this is going on my 2004 Forester XT :)

Those headers will probably crack at the welds in no time short, and probably be more of a pain in the rear end than they're worth (even a lot of name brand headers have cracking issues). Don't know if DPs have common failure points, but I could see fitment problems. Might want to check over at NASIOC and search to see if anyone has had luck with eBay downpipes and/or headers, and see what the experiences have been.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

to make the e-bay "bellmouth" downpipes, they take a piece of pipe and hammer it out to fit the exhaust flange. This is a pretty crappy way to do it and they will crack eventually. A good downpipe, on the other hand, has a cast bellmouth that tapers to the rest of the downpipe. Invidia and Cobb are both like this. I would highly recommend getting one of those two, depending on the rest of your exhaust. The invidia has a 3" flat flange while the cobb tapers to the stock donut gasket. They are also both available in catted or catless. You can get a brand new invidia catless downpipe for like $230 on ebay, which is about cost.

Headers, well, they'll pretty much all crack eventually, but some are better than others. We've had really good results with gt-spec, which are identical to tomei and mad-dad and probably a few others. The equal length headers also produce noticeable gains over un-equal length. A gt-spec header and up-pipe combo retails for about $650 so if you shop around you can get it for less than that. Or you could spend $3k on full-race parts. I put some on a build I did awhile back and there's a car in the shop with a set. Oh my loving god they are amazing.

jamal fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 18, 2009

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I ran into a problem last night and was wondering if anybody here could lend me some advice. I am trying to remove a damaged rear passenger axle. I got the nut off the control arm bolt, which passes all the way through both arms, and attempted to push the bolt through. However, the bolt appears to be completely fused with the control arm bushing and therefore the entire arm moves. I have tried prying it apart but all I have accomplished is ruining the bushing. When I put a socket on it the entire bushing moves within the control arm.

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

FalconGuy016 posted:

I ran into a problem last night and was wondering if anybody here could lend me some advice. I am trying to remove a damaged rear passenger axle. I got the nut off the control arm bolt, which passes all the way through both arms, and attempted to push the bolt through. However, the bolt appears to be completely fused with the control arm bushing and therefore the entire arm moves. I have tried prying it apart but all I have accomplished is ruining the bushing. When I put a socket on it the entire bushing moves within the control arm.

If the bushing is already mauled from your attempts to get the bolt free, you can always go at it with a torch, and just melt the drat thing.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

You could try wrapping some wire around both control arms, or use a big c-clamp or something. That way when you hammer on the bolt the other control arm shouldn't be able to move with it and you might be able to knock it loose.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

jamal posted:

helpful advice

So ok, I found a cobb dp going for cheap right now, im going to try for that. If not ill check invidia. The only mod i have now is an accessport, so that will go well together.
For the exhaust, I want to keep the stock axelback to keep the noise down. Everything Ive read says louder exhausts get boomy cause of the extra cabin space. Also cops around here are dicks about modded exhausts. I may go with a stock sti axelback if I can find one locally, though. Id still like a good sport sound, just nothing LOUD. What would be a good budget choice for the rest?
As for the headers, even if the cheapo ones crack, i could have a shop weld it back up right? I had a gti pipe crack on me, and the shop i use fixed it for 20 bucks.
I keep reading nasioc, but there are SO many choices its nuts. Plus having a forester and not a wrx/sti complicates things, but I know its still mostly the same.
And god, I love my forester :D
Since Im here, guess Ill ask about suspension. I want it lower, but dont want to panic if I see a pothole or brick road. Im looking at these http://tinyurl.com/86q6us since I hear good things about them. For the same price I could get a used suspension off a wrx, though. Or an sti, too, but Im afraid thats going to be too low.
I also want to install this myself. Springs would be easier, but Im willing to try a full suspension swap. Never done one before, though and im not sure it wont be more than I should try. Any advice?

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
I've never worked on a Subaru before, but you might have good results pounding on that bolt in the opposite direction you are trying to get it moving. This'll help to break any corrosion holding it in place.

If you have room to swing a big hammer, just pound on that fucker from the left in your diagram for a bit.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I have a 2004 Subaru Outback (2.5l engine).

I've noticed that on startup, most of the time, you can hear a belt squeaking. When it first happened about 6 months ago, my friend's guess was the serpentine belt. With 60k miles, I figured maybe it was due. So I brought it to the dealership, and they said it wasn't squeaking anymore and the belt seems fine, so not to worry about it.

It's been doing it more lately, maybe with the cold weather and whatnot. One of my mechanic friends looked at it and he first said it just needed to be tightened around where the alternator is. Then he looked under the hood and started flipping out saying that the harmonic balancer was loose. I turned off the car and looked at the harmonic balancer, and he pushed it a bit and it had a bit of give and said "That should not move".

Anyways, being out of my warranty since it has over 60k miles, I was just wondering if he could be right or not. He's been wrong before about some things, and I have an appointment scheduled with the dealership on Wednesday, but I'm just trying to get a feel for how much this could rape me in terms of cost. It looks like some harmonic balancers are about $100, but I have no idea if this needs replaced or what labor or anything.

If anyone can give me a bit of knowledge on this subject, I'd appreciate it. I'm lost when it comes to cars.

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

FlyingPotato posted:

I've never worked on a Subaru before, but you might have good results pounding on that bolt in the opposite direction you are trying to get it moving. This'll help to break any corrosion holding it in place.

If you have room to swing a big hammer, just pound on that fucker from the left in your diagram for a bit.

I did try this, over and over. :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Got home two hours ago from over six hours of ridiculous driving through snowstorms here in Ontario. The first three hours on the twisty back roads felt like I was in a never ending rally stage. God I love this car so much in the snow.

:black101:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

pissboy has banned me from posting pictures of my car dirty, but I also took the long way to get from my parking spot to another parking spot. It vaguely involved going out into the nearby office park, and down through some of the retail plazas (which were dead). All in all, it took about an hour to move from one parking spot to another.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Some hoonage :q: It's surprisingly harder to do donuts with new snow tires on, there's a shitload of traction.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
First snow of the year here in Southern NJ. I went out to play. :) I love my Rally Armors and all of this new power is fun.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

My Black Son posted:

First snow of the year here in Southern NJ. I went out to play. :) I love my Rally Armors and all of this new power is fun.

sup 240... I haven't had enough time with my new car to figure out if I like cookies in AWD as much as cookies in RWD yet.

FalconGuy016
Aug 25, 2005

by Fistgrrl

MMD3 posted:

sup 240... I haven't had enough time with my new car to figure out if I like cookies in AWD as much as cookies in RWD yet.

Try it on dry pavement with AWD. You need a lot more power than RWD for sure, but once you get going it's insane. The first time I did and when it snapped into the fast tight spiral I pulled a tripod and thought I flipped my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.
New car, new problems... My 01 STI is only boosting 8.5 pounds, far less than it should be stock. No CEL and aside from the lack of power (first turbo car, I really didn't notice!) it drives fine, any ideas or quick fixes that might work before it goes in to the dealer to get them to check it out?

Sorry I haven't posted the pics yet!