Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
steps:

- place glove in open position
- place small weight (large book is appropriate) on top of glove
- douse inside of glove with water
- let dry with glove pressed by weight

voila

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tim Thomas posted:

steps:

- place glove in open position
- place small weight (large book is appropriate) on top of glove
- douse inside of glove with water
- let dry with glove pressed by weight

voila

Nice, I'll try that out.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
My old roller team invited myself and a few of my buddies for an hour and a half practice last night. I was psyched for it.. all ready to go, but within the first ten minutes of warm-ups I was loving dead tired. I decided to wear my new pads (which I was only going to wear for ice) and that was a mistake. Even though it was all of 12 degrees F last night, this was an indoor rink and the pads kept in all the heat. After about fourty minutes of play I was just in slow motion, not to mention I haven't played any serious roller hockey in a few months. I am so pissed at myself for how poorly I played. I really gotta start running everyday and doing a bit of weight training and other exercises.

The more I play ice.. the less I want to play roller. It just seems everything is works against the goalie for roller. Smaller rink, no sliding, 4 on 4, no/little defense, roller blades.. uhg. But whatever, hockey is hockey.. and as long as I am playing, I'm happy.

And to open my glove up I put it face down and put two steel toed boots on top for about two days.. worked great.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
yeah, see, that's why i play roller. it's a better workout, it tests stamina a lot better, your rebound control has to be impeccable, your reads have to be a lot better since there's no way to easily do the post to post slides that you can do in ice (although I can slide a limited amount), the puck moves a LOT more than ice, the puck is faster, shooters have better chances since there's more room, etc.

roller isn't better or worse than ice, it's different, and in my opinion, it's more difficult for the goaltender. i like the challenge and i like coming off the rink 5 pounds lighter, it makes me think i actually did something other than stand still for 40 minutes and move for 5.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So basically you are saying I should suck it up, stop being a pussy, and commit to my game more?

Ya know.. considering I have never had any formal goalie, or hockey, training.. maybe I should invest some time into it. I notice you can really tell the guys who know what they are doing vs the guys who don't (me). I am doing pretty well for about 8 months of playing self-taught.. but there is quite a bit I still need to learn.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tim Thomas posted:

yeah, see, that's why i play roller. it's a better workout, it tests stamina a lot better, your rebound control has to be impeccable, your reads have to be a lot better since there's no way to easily do the post to post slides that you can do in ice (although I can slide a limited amount), the puck moves a LOT more than ice, the puck is faster, shooters have better chances since there's more room, etc.

roller isn't better or worse than ice, it's different, and in my opinion, it's more difficult for the goaltender. i like the challenge and i like coming off the rink 5 pounds lighter, it makes me think i actually did something other than stand still for 40 minutes and move for 5.

Inline and ice are different beasts. While playing ice you are typically facing a higher level of talent/skill, but with sliding, offsides, and the additional men on the ice, the game is stacked more in the goalie's favor. With inline like Polish already said, you're playing on a smaller rink, with fewer people, no offsides and once you drop you're dead. So yeah, you really need to focus on your reads, your butterfly/standup recognition and once you drop, you really need to rely on your athleticism and improvisational abilities.

I've found after playing inline a couple of times over the past few weeks after a year of only playing ice, that it brings a lot more athleticism out of my game. I felt like in a lot of ways I was becoming too methodical and relying on blocking versus actively making saves, but when I played inline I started challenging a lot further out of the net, skating around the crease a lot more and using my athleticism to bail me out of bad situations.

At the very least, playing inline is a good change of pace and it helps to prevent you from falling into the trap of just dropping and hoping that you got your body in front of the puck. I noticed that the next time I played ice after playing a couple of inline sessions that I was less rigid and a lot more athletic out there and while I don't want to go to the other extreme and start playing out of control, it definitely seems to open up your game.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Polish posted:

I am doing pretty well for about 8 months of playing self-taught.. but there is quite a bit I still need to learn.

Yeah, same. Though I feel like my bad habits are basically catching up with me now and I need someone to tear my game down so I can start from scratch.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, same. Though I feel like my bad habits are basically catching up with me now and I need someone to tear my game down so I can start from scratch.

Likewise. I feel like I've come pretty far for learning things on my own, but there are still some fundamental things that I struggle with that I think working with a coach could help out with. I can't quite afford that yet, but I've started talking to the other goalies at the rink a lot more and they've offered some useful insight on what I can do to improve my game.

The other thing I need to do is put the time in on things like shooting. I know that I need to just dedicate a half hour a day to just working on my shooting and it will come together through repetition, but I just never seem to actually go ahead and do it. At least I'm trying to handle and shoot/pass the puck more in open hockey, which is helping some, but I just need to dedicate myself to it for a while.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
So the roller/dek team that I got on that I didn't know which it was is actually a Dek team. Now I don't have a big issue with Dek, since I guess a couple of the guys can't skate, but I'd certainly prefer roller.

Anyways, tonight was an open skate (or run?) at the rink, and since we hadn't played yet, about half the team went down to play. I got there late, and a kid was playing goal on one side that was clearly not a goalie, and the other side had the other kid that sort of plays goal for us. He apparently likes to play goal, but is not normally a goalie.

I ask the kid if he wants to skate, he does, so I get my gear on for goal. It's the first time in like 2 or 3 years I've put on my gear. Holy poo poo. Not only am I terribly rusty, but playing against Dek players is just something I had a brutal time dealing with. My "team" was all the guys on skates there, the "opposition" was most of my team, guys in sneakers.

I couldn't adjust to the start/stop, and am actually not terribly upset that we have another goalie who doesn't really have any regular hockey experience. I was anticipating things that just didn't happen. By the time I actually shook some of the rust off, and starting making saves, it got a bit better. I still had trouble with it, but I started getting in a groove and getting my positioning back, and then of course they ended the open session.

Oh well, first game is tomorrow, and luckily I'm not getting thrown to the fire. Just playing D.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
How the hell can you play a game with half the guys on skates and half the guys in shoes? That doesn't sound like it would work at all. Pretty much the only thing dek hockey is good for is stickhandling because it forces you to stickhandle with your feet moving. A lot of guys in roller/ice when they start out just start gliding every time they try and deke and that doesn't work that great.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

crashlanding posted:

How the hell can you play a game with half the guys on skates and half the guys in shoes? That doesn't sound like it would work at all. Pretty much the only thing dek hockey is good for is stickhandling because it forces you to stickhandle with your feet moving. A lot of guys in roller/ice when they start out just start gliding every time they try and deke and that doesn't work that great.

Amazingly it wasn't too bad. I thought it would work terribly as well, but it was a somewhat decent back and forth game. We gave up tons of odd man rushes though, since the guys running obviously could turn and go up ice in an instant, but otherwise it wasn't awful.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
So some of you may recall my lapse in mental judgment a few months ago when I went crazy and bought my goalie equipment. I have been playing shinny and just generally messing around on the ice with family in terms of actual playing I just show up at a rink and get a game of pick up going. I am still breaking in some of my equipment and loving how some of it feels as it gets worked in but now I have a few questions about a situation I have found myself in. A few weeks ago I noticed a local ad in the paper for people to drop off applications to play in a sponge league so I fired off an e-mail and promptly forgot about it the next week. Today I got an e-mail asking for me to play on a team and they need me starting this Sunday for a double header. Being the silly person I am I of course accepted because I need to get my bell rung a few more times before I learn anything. :D I am so excited but nervous as well.

Being sponge my questions are:
1) where the gently caress to I put my toe ties and lower strap since I am assuming I will be on shoes so I don't cut off other peoples toes.
2) Any quick tips to get someone limber for the games? I do yoga, I rec skate and play wii fit (for whatever that counts as) I am nervous as all hell and I would hate to be a really lovely goalie.
3) My chest piece has a removable air bladder covering the stomach, I would wear this for proper ice hockey, but is it needed for a sponge puck? My mobility is much greater without it on.
4) I wear a neck guard should I still bother with my dangler which I now hate?

Also to any inquiring minds I have the TPS R4 catcher, blocker and leg pads. So far they are holding up nicely and deal well with minor abuse. I look forward to seeing what some regular heavier use will do to them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You can probably run your toe ties through your leg channel and tie them to one of the upper buckles. Boot straps I'm not sure about. Maybe put them on over your feet, leave the straps really loose, and put your shoes on over them?

Some people will say that wearing a dangler for sponge hockey is unnecessary, but in all honesty why not wear it and get used to it so it's more natural when you go play ice again. I suppose strictly speaking it probably isn't necessary, but getting used to playing with a dangler is worthwhile. I hate mine too, but realistically I tune it out as soon as warmups start.

As for the air bladder, how is the protection without it? Have you taken any windup slapshots to the stomach without it? Again, if you plan to play ice with it I would suggest you play with it all the time, but that's just my two cents. I play with a chest protector designed for small kids for what it's worth, so my upper body mobility is very important to me.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

For the toe straps with sneakers for me I keep them strapped above my shoe and keep them just tucked into the skate channel.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

To be honest I have never faced a shot without the air bladder, when it is in I never feel anything. I hear the shot and try to follow the rebound but I can never really tell where it hit me other then left or right. I suppose I will play with it on to break it in as well. As for the dangler it's a reebok and while I hate it I guess you are right and I should wear it as well. I guess I am just going to have to play more. The league plays on outdoor ice and is 5v5, I am excited but I really don't want to suck. Does anyone know how a soaked frozen sponge puck feels like compared to a regular puck in terms of impact and rebound. I can direct rebounds with my pads quite well, will that translate for a sponge puck as well?

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
Well here's some shots of me playing at Lasker Rink in Central Park (NYC). Its coed adult league, with a huge number of teams. Goalies play for free, and get to store their equipment at the rink for free (pretty essential when you live in a tiny apartment like I do). They have a goalie list that every team emails when their regular goalie can't make it, which means I almost always play a game or two a week beyond my own team's game. Fun league, good guys.

They kept trying to stuff in wrap arounds on me, I don't know why because it wasn't working.

As you can see I'm not a very big guy. I make up for it by being quick and coming way the gently caress out of the net to play the angles.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
So the university inline team I'm playing for this semester has its first set of games this weekend, 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. Practice has been going pretty well and since a lot of the guys that are playing on the B team with me don't have a very big hockey background so a lot of the time we spend on conditioning and fundamentals.

The goalie isn't getting a lot of work, he's just taking shots during the drills that we get to take shots.

Any suggestions on drills we can run for his benefit? From talking to him he only started playing hockey this summer and was immediately pinned to be the goalie since he's so tall and lanky (6'2). He's pretty athletic and quick but he hasn't really developed beyond "beginner with minimal coaching" since that's what he is.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
Hey Mandingo, where are you playing at? I used to play for Cornell and now am on the board of directors for the ECRHA. Are you going to ASW in Feasterville?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Crumleg, are those Heaston pads you're wearing?

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe

Martytoof posted:

Crumleg, are those Heaston pads you're wearing?

Yep. Helite IV. The gloves are holding up really well but if I have to replace anything it will be the leg pads, which are starting to develop holes. Nothing against Heaton though, I got them in high school when I played nearly every day. I guess they're probably about a decade old by now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh no doubt. The guy before our Tuesday game plays in Heatons and they look comfy as gently caress. Mind you they look like they'd be terrible for a butterfly goalie like me :(

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
That's exactly one of the problems I have with them and why I would consider replacing my leg pads if I had the spare cash, all the pad makers made serious improvements in the way the pad contacts with the ice and closes the 5-hole in butterfly situations over the past decade and the Helite-IV has none of those. It protects me well and when the rebounds are big its usually my fault so otherwise they are a good pad. They were simply made a little before the modern pad shape-- I think it was Vaughn who really started it-- came along.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Tim Thomas posted:

Hey Mandingo, where are you playing at? I used to play for Cornell and now am on the board of directors for the ECRHA. Are you going to ASW in Feasterville?

University of North Texas, SCHL. I won't be going to ASW because I suck pretty bad but one maybe two of our guys on the A team should be going.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Tim Thomas posted:

I just got excited because the indoor rink I play at is in Feasterville. Unfortuantly, it is in Pennsylvania.. so i doubt it is the same one.. :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My stickwork needs improvement. I let in two lovely goals because I literally butterflied with my pad landing ON my stick, which prevented the pad from sealing to the ice.

It's always something goddamn :lol:

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
That happens sometimes, always makes you feel clumsy as gently caress when it does, I know. I tend to play with both hands pushed pretty far forward so it doesn't happen too much to me, but thats only because its the most comfortable position for my own balance and that varies person to person.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

Polish posted:

I just got excited because the indoor rink I play at is in Feasterville. Unfortuantly, it is in Pennsylvania.. so i doubt it is the same one.. :(
How many Feastervilles do you think there are? I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the same one.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Polish posted:

Nope, it's the same one. It's the central rink for the ECRHA, as well as the Northeast division of the AIHL and stuff. ASW is this weekend and the hockey should be pretty decent.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So you mean to tell me Sportsplex in Feasterville, PA is having an ASW..? Why haven't I heard of this, what time is it and are you going Tim? I would stop by to check it out.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Why do people feel the need to bring in a ringer when he's obviously far better than anyone on the ice? And why doesn't the hockey director do anything about it? We lost 4-3 last night. Same guy scored each goal unassisted on a breakaway every time. Pisses me clean off.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

It may just be that they were short a person and the invited him because he is a friend? It also may be that they are a pack of hyper-competitive underachievers who must win at any cost.

Whenever I play above my skill level (which is often) I try to use the game as a chance to learn as opposed to an opportunity to lose. Everyone I play with always gets told first and foremost that I am relearning the game after a decade off and that I am as rusty as a car from the 70s. Once my team knows that they generally are forgiving and I try to win but I work more on staying with the play and not focusing too much on the puck. I work on challenging out of the crease, poke checking and often I play better when I am below others skill levels because it pushes me further then I would go by myself. If you are scored on 4 times unassisted on breakaways you had 4 opportunities to learn, he capitalized on all 4 for one reason or another. Your job now is to not only know why but also develop a counter to stop it from happening again.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you're short a man and bring in a ringer it's nice to not have him score every goal.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
In the house league I play in if you bring in a substitute they can't score more than one goal.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
I haven't had the ringer problem, but there is one team that I play against which has a pair of guys that are far above the level of everyone else in the league. I can stop them, and I do usually, but inevitably they both end up with a goal or two every time, because they always get a couple of breakaways, 2-on-0, etc. I wonder if its even fun for them. I really want to ask them where they played some time, because I've been lucky enough to skate a few times with top level division 1 college players, and minor league guys, and both of these dudes skate and handle the puck as if thats where they were maybe a few years ago. Its ridiculous mainly because the rest of their team would otherwise be pretty mediocre, so two guys alone carry them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

House rules where I played was that all ringers had to strictly play defense. Obviously the enforcement was iffy at best, but I think it worked out pretty well.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe
Yeah Ive seen that, but what ends up happening is you've got a Bobby Orr going end to end and scoring anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well let me qualify that. In the league I played, a "ringer" was basically someone who could skate end to end without falling down or hitting the boards.

Beginner hockey in Tampa :cool:

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

I wish I could have grown up loving hockey somewhere like that, instead I am freezing in Winnipeg. At birth all males and most females are given a pair of skates, a stick and a puck. You can always tell who grew up here at the rinks as opposed to those who moved to Winnipeg. They shiver, complain about the cold and get loving dropped by 8 year olds as the kids head down to inflict a mortal wound on anything that gets between their shot and the back of the net.

Never mind if you leave the city and head out to the country, those farm kids will break the twine on your glove without trying. When we were kids my cousin put a permanent indent into my blocker. Hell my wife, a girl out of Yorkton even has a pretty wicked shot, once you drop she will simply put it up over you as close to your skull as possible so you can't get your arms up to stop it. Oh to be in a place where a "hockey stop" is a valuable and rare skill to possess. A ringer around here at one point probably had a legitimate shot at playing for money somewhere.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Well, the winter break had some success, I got to play a little bit of shinny and I rearranged my schedule so I could be home on Thursday night to play every week now, so I can at least get one ice time in, maybe two if I can get out to early morning shinny on Friday.

Chemmy posted:

STR goons itt. I don't play pickup because it's too early in the morning. What level do you play at?

I play at any level anyone will give me. I actually do better when the level is higher because the defense knows what they're doing and will listen to you. Shinny and the like is pretty much my only resort right now and I'm trying to keep my focus so I started counting shots and averaging my SA%. My shinny SA% for the past 5 times I've gone is .881, which is respectable when you consider on numerous occasions I've had less than 3 hours of sleep going into it and that some of the ones I've gone to are at 6 in the morning. In the two times I've played with my old senior major team I've gotten .900 total even. Also considering it's my only ice time per week and it's just scrimmage so no one really plays defense and always leaves me hanging out to dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love playing shinny because it gives me a chance to try things I normally wouldn't experiment with during an actual game. I am trying to work real hard on my puckhandling, but there are a good two or three times a game that I will make boneheaded passes up the boards or right past my intended target and onto the other team's stick.

My favourite is when I am behind the net and try to sail it out past the blue line only to have someone slap it down out of thin air and pass it to the slot while I make a mad dash for the net. That never works out for me :haw:

Anyway, I also love playing any chance I can get, at whatever level I can find. I haven't found any real beginner games here yet, mostly because everyone here seems to have grown up on skates, but I've been thrown into some high skill games and while I can't say I'm ready for the AHL, it's a neat experience that gives you an eye for how good teams aren't necessarily faster than a regular team, they're just smarter.

• Locked thread