Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Hey black metal thread! Just went a bit of a shopping spree and nabbed up the following, I'm new to black metal so be gentle:

Borknagar - For the Elements
Mirrorthrone - Of Wind and Weeping
Falkenbach - Heralding the Fireblade
Watain - Casus Luciferi
Vintersorg - Odemarkens Son
Pagan Reign - Ancient Fortress

So far I've only given each one listen, but I'm loving Watain for the thrash influence (same reason I like Skeletonwitch), Mirrorthrone for the variety on the album and the atmosphere, and Pagan Reign and Vintersorg really impressed me on the folk-influenced side. Need to get a better listen to Borknagar and Falkenbach, they didn't grab me totally but certainly not terrible.

So where should I go from here? Like I said I'm pretty new to black metal, so my collection is only just beginning. I've listened to a lot of the popular choices though, like some Darkthrone, Emperor, Enslaved, and a few other seminal albums. Anything else I'm pretty clueless about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

thorsilver posted:

Hey black metal thread! Just went a bit of a shopping spree and nabbed up the following, I'm new to black metal so be gentle:

Borknagar - For the Elements
Mirrorthrone - Of Wind and Weeping
Falkenbach - Heralding the Fireblade
Watain - Casus Luciferi
Pagan Reign - Ancient Fortress

So far I've only given each one listen, but I'm loving Watain for the thrash influence (same reason I like Skeletonwitch), Mirrorthrone for the variety on the album and the atmosphere, and Pagan Reign and Vintersorg really impressed me on the folk-influenced side. Need to get a better listen to Borknagar and Falkenbach, they didn't grab me totally but certainly not terrible.

So where should I go from here? Like I said I'm pretty new to black metal, so my collection is only just beginning. I've listened to a lot of the popular choices though, like some Darkthrone, Emperor, Enslaved, and a few other seminal albums. Anything else I'm pretty clueless about!

You definitely picked up the worst Mirrorthrone album. I truly hope you get around to Carriers of Dust or Gangrene SOON.

ootoss
Jan 4, 2009

Any Old Irony posted:

Welt Aus Eis off of PDH's self-titled is my favorite black metal song ever. The violins are creeeepy.
Welt Aus Eis is beyond words. One of my favorites as well. I just got his self-titled A5 in the mail the other day. :)

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
Hey guys, if you like Darkspace and even if you don't, check out Nightbringer - Death and the Black Work. Utterly amazing.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

thorsilver posted:

That's a good Vintersorg to start out with, and it's one of my favorites. Vintersorg seems to go through two phases with his albums - the Toughest Viking in All of Skellefteå :black101: , and Carl Sagan Fanatic :hydrogen: . Both are outstanding, but the space stuff is much more proggy and out there than his folk stuff.

If you decide, after exhausting all the Vintersorg out there, that you need YET MORE Andreas Hedlund in you life, (and really, who doesn't want that) you can dive into some of his 'side projects':

Cronian, which is sort of like Arctic-tinged Industrial with Øystein Brun of Borknagar

Fission, which is yet more math and science themed death metal with his pal Benny.

Waterclime, a solo project where he gets his Abba out by playing 70's styled jazz pop. It's the most :psyduck: of them all.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Picked up Sighs' Gallows Gallery, and I was really surprised. After the first listen I got the impression of Balzac trying to make music for Grandia II.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I've been listening to the whole Moonsorrow discography. It's like they took a little early Enslaved and a little early Borknagar, and turned up the epic. They may be the most fully-realized epic "viking" metal band yet. I think what makes them work is that the core of their sound and generic song structure is basically just lifted wholesale from prog rock, and the metal is like the imposing brick and mortar slabbed on the surface. They know how to write long, winding epics without being boring. I've been aware of them for a while, but only recently splurged on the whole discography.

I generally think that folk metal is cheesy, but the third Waylander album, Moonsorrow and Skyforger are slowly and surely changing my mind. Of course, I always loved Stille Volk and Hantaoma.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 19, 2009

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Openknees posted:

Picked up Sighs' Gallows Gallery, and I was really surprised. After the first listen I got the impression of Balzac trying to make music for Grandia II.

Wasn't Gallows Gallery received so poorly they got dropped from their label? The followup, also alliteration at work Hangman's Hymn, is pretty awesome though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Morbid Florist posted:

Iskald is ABSOLUTELY worth checking out. I'm jealous you get to see them live.

I saw them live at Inferno last year and, well, they certainly played their stuff well enough but they were definitely not the most comfortable stage act I've seen. The vocalist in particular seemed pretty drat tense and nervous at being up there in front of the crowd. I guess it might be attributable to lack of experience (they come from way the gently caress out in the sticks and this was something like the third time they played a gig outside of their home territory, so to speak).

Still, they were good enough to make me go buy their album. And it seems quite likely that they'll be loosening up a little as they gain touring experience.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

anticake posted:

Wasn't Gallows Gallery received so poorly they got dropped from their label? The followup, also alliteration at work Hangman's Hymn, is pretty awesome though.

The remastered edition of Gallows Gallery isn't really bad.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

anticake posted:

They left their label because the production the label did on it was so poo poo.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Groke posted:

I saw them live at Inferno last year and, well, they certainly played their stuff well enough but they were definitely not the most comfortable stage act I've seen. The vocalist in particular seemed pretty drat tense and nervous at being up there in front of the crowd. I guess it might be attributable to lack of experience (they come from way the gently caress out in the sticks and this was something like the third time they played a gig outside of their home territory, so to speak).

Still, they were good enough to make me go buy their album. And it seems quite likely that they'll be loosening up a little as they gain touring experience.

Thanks for the Iskald info (also thanks to Morbid Florist). They're opening at the Underworld in Camden which is a nice intimate venue, so they'll hopefully be less nerve-struck.

Am seeing Wolves In The Throne Room (at the same venue) in under two weeks, am very excited :)

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They left their label because the production the label did on it was so poo poo.

Yep, it has horrible production.

Hangman's Hymn was groundbreaking.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

deltawing posted:

You definitely picked up the worst Mirrorthrone album. I truly hope you get around to Carriers of Dust or Gangrene SOON.

I don't think it's bad. It's not groundbreaking I guess, but I can see where they're going with it, if that makes sense.

Qu Appelle posted:

Fission, which is yet more math and science themed death metal with his pal Benny.

Math- and science-themed? Sounds right up my alley. Seems unusual for death metal, are they the only ones in that vein?

quote:

Waterclime, a solo project where he gets his Abba out by playing 70's styled jazz pop. It's the most :psyduck: of them all.

Yeah... might have to pass on that one :psyboom:

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

thorsilver posted:

I don't think it's bad. It's not groundbreaking I guess, but I can see where they're going with it, if that makes sense.

Oh, it's not bad, dude, but it's definitely nowhere near as good as Carriers of Dust and Gangrene, which are both PHENOMENAL.

I would highly recommend you check those out ASAP if you haven't already.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

anticake posted:

It blew my mind when I realized that their albums all spell SIGH

Scorn Defeat
Infidel Art
Ghastly Funeral Theatre
Hail Horror Hail

Scenario IV: Dread Dreams
Imaginary Sonicscape
Gallows Gallery
Hangman's Hymn

:aaa:

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Clothes Optional posted:

Hey guys, if you like Darkspace and even if you don't, check out Nightbringer - Death and the Black Work. Utterly amazing.

Ooh, good call. As a dedicated Darkspace fan, this is excellent stuff.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

thorsilver posted:

Yeah... might have to pass on that one :psyboom:

It's better than it sounds. Really. At least give it a whirl. Then imagine Vintersorg skipping through a meadow, with flowers in his hair. Then go :psyboom: .

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Am seeing Wolves In The Throne Room (at the same venue) in under two weeks, am very excited :)

Hurf hipster poo poo for hipster emo fags with rainbows on their t-shirts and god knows what little Moomin character pins.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
tr00 kvlt black metal

ave satanas

gently caress jews

tolkien rules

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Any Old Irony posted:

The remastered edition of Gallows Gallery isn't really bad.

Is the remastered one the blue cover? I'm pretty sure the original is the orange/red cover but I want some confirmation before I order.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

anticake posted:

Is the remastered one the blue cover? I'm pretty sure the original is the orange/red cover but I want some confirmation before I order.

Correct, you want the blue cover.

e; Um, I should clarify a little bit that the album isn't great, even re-mastered. It's definitely a big improvement over the original release and it definitely has some moments that I guess you would call "rockin'" but on the whole it's not exactly Hail Horror Hail.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 20, 2009

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Kaiho posted:

Hurf hipster poo poo for hipster emo fags with rainbows on their t-shirts and god knows what little Moomin character pins.

Oh shut it you're just as excited as I am ;)

Clogproof Orifice
Apr 2, 2001
Like stee, moanin' ludlow!
I don't know what the gently caress I've been doing or where the gently caress I've been, but I just listened to 'Transilvanian Hunger' for the first time. INCREDIBLE.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Clogproof Orifice posted:

I don't know what the gently caress I've been doing or where the gently caress I've been, but I just listened to 'Transilvanian Hunger' for the first time. INCREDIBLE.

Looks like you've been in 1993, but while you're back there could you bring back some Burzum shirts

Clogproof Orifice
Apr 2, 2001

Morbid Florist posted:

Looks like you've been in 1993, but while you're back there could you bring back some Burzum shirts

1994, actually.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to announce that the remainder of this thread shall now solely consist of posts making fun of me for not having gotten into black metal until now. Proceed!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

You went from not liking black metal straight into Transylvanian Hunger?

That's a big loving first leap so the rest should fall into your lap at this point.

I don't see any loving shirts either. Plastichead says they're still out of stock.

Clogproof Orifice
Apr 2, 2001

Morbid Florist posted:

That's a big loving first leap so the rest should fall into your lap at this point.

I don't see any loving shirts either. Plastichead says they're still out of stock.

I've been exposed to BM before and have been well aware of it for some time. I just never really took the time to actually listen to records in-depth on my own for whatever reason. I'm definitely going to be making up for lost time over the next few weeks.

From what I've heard, I'm a fan of the I Shalt Become, early Darkthrone sounding stuff with lots of repetition and atmosphere. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

As for the shirts, I'll go back in time and steal some. Black (Metal) to the Future.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Since you're already dabbling with a classic, keep that up.

Emperor - Nightside and Anthems, Immortal, Marduk (panzer division is my personal favorite), Gorgoroth, Burzum's pre-prison albums.... that ought to keep you busy for a bit.

I'd also say Windir-1184 and Likferd are classics but I'm a huge fanboy so my opinion is biased.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Morbid Florist posted:

Transilvanian Hunger was one of my first, too. I usually start people off with Windir and Primordial, though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I got started on Emperor - IX Equilibrium and Satyricon - Nemesis Divina \/:)\/

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Morbid Florist posted:

Since you're already dabbling with a classic, keep that up.

Emperor - Nightside and Anthems, Immortal, Marduk (panzer division is my personal favorite), Gorgoroth, Burzum's pre-prison albums.... that ought to keep you busy for a bit.

I'd also say Windir-1184 and Likferd are classics but I'm a huge fanboy so my opinion is biased.

1184 is beautiful.

Journey to the End is so badass!

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Mudflap McDirt posted:

I got started on Emperor - IX Equilibrium and Satyricon - Nemesis Divina \/:)\/

I got started on Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness, since it was pretty thrashy, and I'm a huge thrash fan.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

OK I know I am a million years late on this, but Monument by Cor Scorpii has leapfrogged its way up to the top of my favourites list. Pure brilliance.

Agreed. With Monument, Cor Scorpii has become my favorite of the post-Windir Sogn bands.

Qu Appelle posted:

Vintersorg seems to go through two phases with his albums - the Toughest Viking in All of Skellefteå :black101: , and Carl Sagan Fanatic :hydrogen:

Yeah, that about sums up Vintersorg; nice way of putting it.

Morbid Florist posted:

There isn't a single Windir album that isn't on my playlist; Valfar was such a brilliant composer.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Clogproof Orifice posted:

early Darkthrone sounding stuff with lots of repetition and atmosphere.

It was the eerie repetitive building-up of a wall of noise that first gave me shivers with black metal. I didn't get into it then, but I know what you mean.

Nobody ever remembers Carpathian Forest in their recommendations of second-wave black metal. Or Nifelheim for that matter.

Also, Mayhem's De Mysteriis dom Sathanas is eerie as gently caress. Not quite Darkthrone but very, loving, brutal.

edit: Also loving listen to Dissection and early Lord Belial. Not quite as raw in production but A+ for atmosphere.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 22, 2009

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Razor posted:

Yeah, that about sums up Vintersorg; nice way of putting it.

Lately, he's been combining the two, which I'm sure is going to open a black hole somewhere.

I need to check out Windir, I need new music :geno:

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I can kind of stomach Vintersorg in Otyg and the first solo album, but just barely. He just sounds way too dopey, though he has gotten quite a bit better over the last couple of years.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Agreeing with Kaiho here, Carpathian Forest have a very good chronological sound change. I recommend "Through Chasm, Caves And Titan Woods (EP)" and "Defending The Throne Of Evil"

Although your just starting out in black metal, Clogproof Orifice, I'd skip the boring Symphonic stuff like Emperor and go straight into Mayhem, Taake, Peste Noire, Behexen, Beherit, Tsjuder. Those bands are a good indication of what it should really sound like(disregarding Thrash/Doom/whatever BM) :)

As you said your a fan of the 'repetitive' aspect of it, so go with Hate Forest, Blood Of Kingu, Darkspace.

Cold Day fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 22, 2009

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I'd add Kvist, keyboards notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Cold Day posted:

...I'd skip the boring Symphonic stuff like Emperor...

Don't skip Emperor.