Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Handen posted:

Where do I start with Muse? Generally I've hated everything I've heard by them, but I know Matt Bellamy has a really sweet guitar rig and would like to hear how he uses it to it's fullest advantage without being put-off by a bunch of whiny pretentious lyrics and soft rock/indie crapola.

I like what I see in this video for an intro to Stockholm Syndrome so direct me to similar things please.

Absolution is the one with Stockholm Syndrome and it's probably my favorite, for some of the reasons you listed. But every album of theirs is a mix of good and crappy songs, none stands out as being particularly good or bad. Their recent live album 'H.A.A.R.P.' contains pretty much all of my favorite songs by them from a wider range of their albums, though his voice is shakier and stuff it's maybe a better overall selection, he also wails a lot more live than he does on his studio albums which is maybe what you're looking for. The beginning of that video is about as hard and distorted as Muse ever gets though.

insomne posted:

Where do I start with Plaid?

Double Figure was my first and is still probably my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Eye Joe
Apr 12, 2006

DrPop posted:

Where would I start if I liked Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and the Downward Spiral by NIN and I want to find music similar to it by different artists? I guess "where do I start with industrial" but hell if I know that's what people call it these days.

I recommend Foetus. I think he was a pretty big influence on Reznor, and he makes some of the best music I've heard. "Nail" isn't too far off from The Downward Spiral, and is pretty accessible. "Hole" is another good starting point. I'd recommend almost every studio album after Hole, but you should probably check those out after those Hole and Nail.

sideburns
Jan 5, 2005
Where should I start with Thievery Corporation?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

sideburns posted:

Where should I start with Thievery Corporation?

Out of their studio albums, get The Mirror Conspiracy (The Richest Man in Babylon would also be a good introduction). But don't miss out on their DJ mixes either, which are arguably better than their releases - Outernational Sound is probably my favorite.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Where do I start with Scott Walker? I don't really know anything about him other than that he's an influential/innovative pop songwriter (right?!) and that I really should have listened to him by now.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Where should I start with Daniel Johnston? So many albums, and all of them scare me a little.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

p-hop posted:

Where should I start with Daniel Johnston? So many albums, and all of them scare me a little.

Given the nature of his work, you're probably best off starting with the recent compilation Welcome to My World, seeing which songs you like best from it, then finding the albums those songs came from. Otherwise, it's probably best to start with either Yip/Jump Music or Hi, How Are You (which is sold as a twofer with Continuing Story). Those are his two most popular albums, have a lot of his most well-known work on them, and are pretty consistent in terms of quality.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Where do I start with XTC?

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

HP Hovercraft posted:

Where do I start with XTC?

XTC's career can kind of be split up into a few different eras, making any one specific album difficult to choose. Their earlier days were a bit on the noisy, post-punkier side of things, and they became increasingly enamored with 60s pop song stylings as they went on.

I'd say, overall, the best place to start would probably be English Settlemnt, since it seems to be somewhere in the middle of those two styles. Then just choose which aspect of their sound you like better and either go forward or backwards chronologically.

Biledriver
Oct 16, 2008

The Martians love Kuato. They think he's fuckin' George Washington.
Where should I start with Aphex Twin?

SaintJacques
Jan 18, 2009

it's a fucking bear

Biledriver posted:

Selected Ambient Works Vol. 1 and Classics, definitely. They're accessible and in my opinion a good overview of his early stuff (and SAW is undoubtably one of the best electronic albums around). Selected Ambient Works II is the kind of ambient most people think of; beatless soundscapes, weird noises, but it's still good. Richard D. James Album is more drum 'n' bass influenced and is very solid. Pick up some of his recent Analords releases too.

"Windowlicker" and "Come to Daddy" are two of his more famous tracks but not his best. Don't forget his stuff under AFX and Polygon Window, some people tend to over look that.

You can work your way around from there, he hasn't really made a bad album, so to speak. I actually don't like Drukqs that much, it seems too... unfocused?

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'm looking to get into The Fall, but with 27 studio albums I'm not sure on the best place to start. Does their discography break-down into stylistic periods as those by other prolific artists tend to do? Anything I should specifically listen for that might be unique to the band?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jive One posted:

Anything I should specifically listen for that might be unique to the band?

Yes, everything they've ever done...

All of the most popular albums are good places to start: Hex Enduction Hour, Perverted by Language, Live at the Witch Trials &c. They're always different but always the same.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname

Rubber Biscuit posted:

As far as I can tell we haven't had one of these threads in a while, so why not.

I'll just get this one out of the way because this one inevitably crops up in threads like these: Where does one begin with Frank Zappa?

Basically i'm familiar with the Best Of... material, and have given Apostrophe (') a jolly good listen. The latter, I like alot, but seeing as it's very there's a million different pathways to go down when it comes to Zappa, i'm stuck wondering where to go next. Joe's Garage looks appealing to me at the moment but i'm a bit cautious of the whole concept album format. It's just all so daunting!

For Zappa, I'd start with Shiek Yerbouti, and hit some of hit jazzier albums Grand Wazoo, Hot Rats, waka/jawaka, check out some live stuff (best band you never heard in your life), and maybe some of his Shut up n play yer guitar series. Mostly, I'd start with Shiek Yerbouti.

Where does one start with the band My Morning Jacket? I used to listen to a lot of classic rock, but now I mostly listen to classical. Any tips on MMJ would be good, tia.

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...
I really dig Meshuggah's Obzen and Destroy Erase Improve, what other bands have this style?

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Cake is supposed to be good 90s alt-rock, right? There doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on which of their albums is the right place to start. Which is it?

Camper van Beethoven? I like 80s indie bands, but this isn't one people talk about a lot, so I haven't the faintest idea where to start with them.

Fatboy Slim also catches my attention, and not only because he used to be one of the Housemartins. I like what I've heard of his dance output, but he has a lot of albums and I don't have much experience with dance artists beyond Daft Punk. Where do I start with this guy?

e: You're too slow, NMD. I went with Prolonging the Magic and Why Try Harder. I still don't know where to start with Camper van Beethoven, though, so that question still stands.

Soylent Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 1, 2009

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Biledriver posted:

I'd say ...I Care Because You Do. Personally I'm not a big fan of starting with compilations. It's his early albums and stuff and turn me and my friends into glitch fans and such.

Also, on a completely different note, I think anyone with a passing interest in anarcho-punk has to hear Death Church by Rudimentary Peni. just mentioning because i love them so much at the moment.

And to you Zappa poster back there - I say check out Hot Rats. Love that album.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
A friend of mine told me to listen to The Decemberists but neglected to tell me where to start. I noticed they have several LPs and even more EPs.

So if someone make up for her stupidity I would appreciate it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tweaker1 posted:

I don't know where this one fits, but I ended up getting both "Confusion is Sex/Kill Yr. Idols" and "Washing Machine", I'm thinking I like "Washing Machine" more right now.

Thanks!

I'm sorry, you got bad advice. The starting point for Sonic Youth is, and always will be Daydream Nation. Get that IMMEDIATELY.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Serge Gainsbourg.

I have two albums and I like them both, but from there I dunno where to go, I have Bonnie & Clyde, and Histoire de Melody Nelson, out of the two I prefer HDMN and the song "Cargo Culte" is my favourite.

So I'm looking for his albums that are among the same lines and which other 'necessary' albums he has, I'm not really interested in his "electro" output that I've heard about but if somebody could convince me that it's alright, I might give it a shot.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Where do I start with The Who? They have so much, where should I jump in?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Where do I start with The Who? They have so much, where should I jump in?

As someone who has been a pretty big Who fan for 20+ years, there honestly isn't as much as there appears to be. They have like 5 or 6 albums worth owning, and for anyone but the most diehard fan a greatest hits package can fill in the rest (Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy covers the early years very nicely, but it might be out of print now).

The standard jumping off points are Who's Next and Live at Leeds. From there you can go to Tommy and Quadrophenia. Then if you're still interested, By Numbers and Sell Out have some pretty good tunes.

djf
Nov 5, 2007
FTH

-Atom- posted:

A friend of mine told me to listen to The Decemberists but neglected to tell me where to start. I noticed they have several LPs and even more EPs.

So if someone make up for her stupidity I would appreciate it.

I'd start with "Picaresque" and "Castaways and Cutouts" as those two albums contain near enough all of their best songs and really give you a good picture of what they are about. If you enjoy that then get the "Crane Wife" and "Her Majesty". All four albums have a similar style though and are pretty strong though so I wouldn't be too cautious in picking up any of them.

The "5 Songs" EP is enjoyable but quite different from their other stuff, quite a low key, laid back pop record.

RaoulDuke
May 6, 2007

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.
Husker Du and/or Jawbreaker. I know Husker Du made a shift from hardcore to melodic alternativeish at some point, but the bests of either would be great.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

RaoulDuke posted:

Husker Du and/or Jawbreaker. I know Husker Du made a shift from hardcore to melodic alternativeish at some point, but the bests of either would be great.

For Husker Du, Zen Arcade is a good place to start.

In It For the Moe
Feb 9, 2009

Popcorn posted:

Where do I start with Scott Walker? I don't really know anything about him other than that he's an influential/innovative pop songwriter (right?!) and that I really should have listened to him by now.

The All Music Guide biography is a good place to learn about the whole saga of his starting out as a teen idol, landing in a hit group, striking out on his own, having a short-lived TV show in England etc., but basically his solo career can be divided into three eras. So the starting point (in bold) depends on the era:

"Late Sixties Pop Crooner Period":
Scott - Wildly melodramatic string arrangements, lots of English language versions of Jacques Brel songs. It's kind of like an alternate universe Frank Sinatra record. The one song he wrote himself on this record, "Montague Terrace (In Blue)", is dark, beautiful, and one of his best. He'd release two more similar albums simply titled Scott 2 and Scott 3 before releasing...
Scott 4 - This is the first album on which he wrote all the songs. The string arrangements are relatively restrained, some songs are colored with Country or Soul touches, and his voice is at its absolute peak. Simply one of my all-time favorite records.

"Iffy Seventies Commercial Sellout Period":
1970's Till the Band Comes In is probably actually his last "Pop Crooner" album, though it is slightly more middle-of-the-road than Scott 4, there's still a bizarro lounge singer vibe and it is still tremendously depressing with carefully observed character studies of sad sacks living out lives of quiet desperation and dying alone. It failed commercially, which may have factored into his decision to release a string of safe, forgettable Pop/Country records.

"Scott's Lost His Mind: 1980s - Present":
(Thankfully?) Selling out didn't really work for Scott Walker. So, in 1984 he released Climate of Hunter, which introduced abstract-poetry-as-lyrics and obtuse, decidedly NON-pop arrangements, including some elements of avant classical music. He'd not release another album for 11 years, which was 1995's Tilt - an album of bleak, operatic experimental music. His voice, while still powerful, has changed into a spooky, paranoid wail. Another 11 year break, and we get The Drift in 2006, which seems to complete the mission that Tilt began. That is to say, it is cinematic, unrelentingly creepy, and by many accounts "unlistenable." But that's ridiculous! I think they're both masterpieces of modern experimental rock.

There was a career-spanning 5-disc set called In Five Easy Pieces, but ~$50 is a lot to plunk down as an "introduction" and if you end up liking it, you'll just wish you'd bought the records proper. I'd recommend maybe an album apiece from one or two of the three "eras" above and what you love/hate from those will determine what else you want to get.

Forgone Conclusion
Aug 13, 2007
How about Nick Lowe? I've heard a few songs from Jesus of Cool and few from Rockpile's one album, so I should probably seek those out, but what else is there?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Forgone Conclusion posted:

How about Nick Lowe? I've heard a few songs from Jesus of Cool and few from Rockpile's one album, so I should probably seek those out, but what else is there?

Basher: The Best of Nick Lowe is considered a pretty good introduction. If you're looking for the original albums, it's worth noting that about half of the tracks on that best-of come from his first two albums.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RaoulDuke posted:

Jawbreaker, go with 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
What should I check out by Squeeze?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Any recommendations on where to start with The Doors? Sorry if this has popped up a billion times.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I'm just getting into some Jazz so some guidance would be great.

Oscar Peterson - I bought and loved Night Train so something more along those lines.

Sun Ra - I thought Zappa and Dylan was hard to get into quantity-wise but his discography seems bigger than theirs' combined so where the hell do I jump in?

Coltrane - A love Supreme was good but what's some good early bebop stuff.

Bebop jazz in general - I'm really liking this style some some good suggestions would be appreciated.

REDICULOUS LOOSER
Apr 28, 2008

by DocEvil

qball posted:

I'm just getting into some Jazz so some guidance would be great.

Oscar Peterson - I bought and loved Night Train so something more along those lines.

Try any of the other trio albums of his on Verve. I prefer him with a horn, so try 'Stan Getz And The Oscar Peterson Trio', or 'Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson'.

quote:

Sun Ra - I thought Zappa and Dylan was hard to get into quantity-wise but his discography seems bigger than theirs' combined so where the hell do I jump in?

Any albums on the Saturn label. He has some nice stuff on ESP-DISK too.

quote:

Coltrane - A love Supreme was good but what's some good early bebop stuff.

The quintet albums with Miles Davis' group on Prestige/his own albums as a leader on Prestige.

quote:

Bebop jazz in general - I'm really liking this style some some good suggestions would be appreciated.

You can't go wrong with anything on the Blue Note, Savoy, Prestige, Bethlehem, or Riverside label from the years 1950 - 1960 for straight-ahead bop.

Please try to buy the CDs if possible to support these wonderful musicians!

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

REDICULOUS LOOSER posted:

Absolutely, though why is it so hard to explain the phenomenon of supporting artists to some people?

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

Why? Most of them are dead, if you haven't noticed.

REDICULOUS LOOSER
Apr 28, 2008

by DocEvil

funkcroquet posted:

Why? Most of them are dead, if you haven't noticed.

:ssh: Their widows/sons/daughters aren't. They often own the rights and license the music.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

:ssh: Their widows/sons/daughters aren't. They often own the rights and license the music.

Okay, but that's a separate issue entirely. Before you were talking about rewarding the effort of playing and recording and now you're talking about supporting an inheritance, they're both clearly good but one is a much stronger argument than the other and a different one besides, especially if you're remotely critical about IP laws and copyright.

Here's an alternative view: pirate the piss out of albums by dead people so that you can follow the genre to the point where you can give support to the adventurous contemporary post-bop, free jazz and free improv musicians who need it more than copyright holders who had very little to do with the creative acts in the first place, assuming a non-unlimited budget.

poopcutter
Oct 4, 2003

by Ozma

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I still don't know where to start with Camper van Beethoven, though, so that question still stands.

Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart. That is what you should listen to first because if it appeals to you then you will like all of the rest.

Initially I was going to recommend going in chronological order from the beginning, and then I was going to recommend Key Lime Pie first because it is the most popish album and All Her Favorite Fruit is their best song IMO, but really starting with OBRS is how to do it.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I buy used music because it's cheaper and supports local music retail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Astronaut
Jul 17, 2008
Checked the last few pages, but didn't find anything for Devin Townshend/Strapping Young Lad. I like what little bit I've heard off last.fm. Sorry I can't help with more specifics, but I am pretty open to all suggestions.