Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Gadzuko posted:

I'm having a lot of problems with militia being totally worthless. I'm used to needing to retrain SAM garrisons after every attack, but the 20 guys I can put in there can't seem to win against the forces that get sent to attack them on a regular basis. I have to save before every attack, reload several times and pray.

I also just got attacked in Alma by 20 troops and my 40 militia (20 regular, 20 green) were able to kill a grand total of one enemy before they were all slaughtered. I'm only playing on Expert. Is this normal? In vanilla JA I never remember having these problems.

The last time I played was about four months ago so I have no idea if this is still an option, but there was a setting you could use to allow you to train the regulars into elites. I started doing that once I realized that I was losing full stacks of the militia units every time the enemy approached a city and became bored with having to bloody go back, solve the problem, and retrain everyone.

I suppose it might screw with the game balance a little bit, but it's not so bad considering that training the elites takes a metric assload of money to do. Worth it, in my opinion, to not have to fight the same few cities over and over again. To each their own.

If you don't want to do that I would caution you that SAM sites are a lot like cities in the sense that if you successfully take one, the enemy will immediately launch a counteract. It might take a few days for it to get to you but you should sit around and wait for it just to make sure you don't lose the silly thing again. That could help you.

That SAM to the East of Drassen is a bitch, though; not because it's particularly hard but rather because the enemy always seems to walk right into it and retake the damned thing if you're not there to shepherd the defense. Before I started with the 'elite' training thing, mind you, I had taken to placing a well equipped but cheap merc with mortars and a pile of explosives at each same just so that I could neuter any offense against the militias there.

I like the 'elite' method better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Just realized that the new inventory system allows you to put full bags into other bags seemingly ad infinitum.

In related news, loading Flo down with 1500 kg of various junk and sending her for a trek in the woods will net her a increase of 38 points of strength and 5 levels of experience in just one sector.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tonton Macoute posted:

Just realized that the new inventory system allows you to put full bags into other bags seemingly ad infinitum.

In related news, loading Flo down with 1500 kg of various junk and sending her for a trek in the woods will net her a increase of 38 points of strength and 5 levels of experience in just one sector.

Wow, that's a hilarious exploit that could easily be fixed. Just make it so you can't put any LBE gear including backpacks in other LBE gear.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
drat SON, I JUST GOT ME SOME.

Look at me Psion, I'm a man now.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Georg LeBoui posted:

Yeah I'm using Possum's mod, it's actually a "feature" of it. Still, its actually stable and doesn't crash at all, apparently unlike the very latest DBB build (907 I think).

I went through the weapons.xml and restored pistol ranges and fixed up some SMG ranges while I was at it too. If anyone wants I can upload my changed XML file somewhere.
I would be interested in this. Would I just drop it over the XMLs in the folder already or do I have to do things?

Tonton Macoute posted:

:ughh: kind of funny

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Capn Beeb posted:

drat SON, I JUST GOT ME SOME.

Look at me Psion, I'm a man now.

I had to look closely to see that was -207 and -179 not -207179

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Wearing a Monocle Since 1987

Mathemagician posted:

I would be interested in this. Would I just drop it over the XMLs in the folder already or do I have to do things?

As far as I'm aware you should just be able to replace your weapons.xml with mine and provided you use the same version of OldPossum's mod (4b I think) it should work fine.

Also after 8 years of playing this game (though I've never beaten a campaign even once) only now did I realize how you're supposed to actually play it. Previously I would just move all my dudes together and as soon as I spot the enemy I would open fire. Then I would find a nice little bit of cover and just stay there for most of the mission while dudes come at me. I've never even attempted a night mission.

But now, I created a dedicated sniper team consisting of Raven and Biff, and realized it's all about LOS and planning. Basically, Raven is my shooter, and Biff is the spotter. He has an observer's scope that allows him to see things like 60 tiles away. Together they easily took out an 8 man patrol squad before they even realized what was happening.

So now even my regular troops have binoculars. When assaulting, usually one person will be eyeballing the direction while the rest of the troops advance, and as soon they spot the enemy they all move into position around them before firing.

By the way, now that I'm attacking towns and all that, has anyone ever attempted to form a SWAT-like team that can quickly storm through a building? Or would this be impossible on the JA2 engine?

Obviously you'd need CQB weapons and Mercs with high dexterity, what else?

Also I found a weird bug with camo. A spetznaz vest is supposed to give +22 woodland camo, but the camo counter in the inventory never actually goes up when you equip it. However, a Kazak-6 vest with a Berkal shirt attached works fine and together with Berkal pants gives about 60% camo. This saddens me because all my dudes wear spetznaz stuff except the vest :(

Georg LeBoui fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 18, 2009

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Georg LeBoui posted:

By the way, now that I'm attacking towns and all that, has anyone ever attempted to form a SWAT-like team that can quickly storm through a building? Or would this be impossible on the JA2 engine?

The enemy often isn't in the buildings, though. When they are, I've found its much more effective to blow a hole in the wall with TNT while having a couple of snipers waiting for the hole, and then storming the building with the semi-auto 40mm grenade launcher.

In other news I just used the semi-auto 40mm GL today and its loving awesome. So are mortars. It took me about 20 hours to get the heavy weaponry but now that I have it, this game is even more awesome.

I just wish bobby ray would sell more than 1-2 mortar shells at a time.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
The ultimate team of cheapo mercs:

Igor
Barry
Thor

Got all bases covered (mechanical, medical, gunner with Ira doing teaching) and they all have high wisdom (Thors is 97, what the gently caress!) and while they're not really badass like Razor they're not crazy annoying like Flo or Gumpy or MD either.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Right, so my tweaked XML file is here.

Now I have no idea how well it would work, but I'd imagine if you use Possum's DBB mod patched up to 4b you shouldn't have a problem.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Georg LeBoui posted:

has anyone ever attempted to form a SWAT-like team that can quickly storm through a building? Or would this be impossible on the JA2 engine?

I tried something like this with my IMP mercs, but honestly it's not very effective. Someone is going to roll the dice and get lucky eventually and at close range the AI will probably go full auto on your rear end, which means dead merc.

It's more effective - if perhaps less fun - to play mortar command on their building and/or to clear it more methodically.

I think next time I play this I'll actually do that WWII-only equipment run. I might cheat and mix nationalities a bit, though you could probably get away with an Allies-only or Axis-only run fairly easily.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 19, 2009

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
How can i activate NVG's?

They are attached to my guys helmets, but how can i activate them?

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Shift+N to switch between sunglasses/NVGs. These sort of things don't actually get activated when you put them on the helmet, they only actually work when you put them in the second face slot.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 116 days!
This thread convinced me to shell out $20 for the Steam version of the Gold pack... I bought the game when it came out, but I can't find it and it's probably unusably scratched by now. It holds up just as well as it always has, but the updates are of course quite nice. You guys weren't kidding about the Drassen counterattack, I had to turn that poo poo off after attempts with two different teams. The first time I didn't even get all the IMP mercs I could, that was a mistake. With that off the game is a lot more playable, I'm about to take and reinforce Cambria (I love being able to take my militia to invade town sectors, we bulldoze everything) and take the SAM site so the hospital sector will make a good, accessible base. Looks like I'm going to have to read the instructions, though, because the last post suggests I'm probably missing a lot of features.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

UberJumper posted:

How can i activate NVG's?

They are attached to my guys helmets, but how can i activate them?

You have to put them in the face slot under the helmet slot. Attaching them to the helmet doesn't do anything.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
So i just downloaded the new patch and fired up the ol JA2. End of the first day I captured the first town. BAM! 73 soldiers attack out of loving nowhere, and I have 3 guys, and im only on experienced difficulty. I demand an explanation

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Diabl0658 posted:

So i just downloaded the new patch and fired up the ol JA2. End of the first day I captured the first town. BAM! 73 soldiers attack out of loving nowhere, and I have 3 guys, and im only on experienced difficulty. I demand an explanation

You could read the thread, where people talked about the Drassen counterattack and how to turn it off for about a page (the guy two posts above you did).

Open the INI editor in your JA2 directory, go to the gameplay settings and turn the setting about the queen sending soldiers to reinforce Drassen to "off".

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
RIght now i fell into a fight, and my guys are pretty much dead tired.

I have some energy booster syringes. How do i use then? When i try to use them like a medkit i just get a ? mark and when i click nothing happens?

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
Pick one up and drag it onto the picture of the merc on the inv section.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Wait, how many IMP mercs can you get? I thought you only got one?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Sigma-X posted:

Wait, how many IMP mercs can you get? I thought you only got one?

With 1.13 you can get six (one for every voice set), by re-entering the activation code into IMP's website.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

HoldYourFire posted:

With 1.13 you can get six (one for every voice set), by re-entering the activation code into IMP's website.

Wow that seems really cheap. $3k for a merc with customized attributes beats the hell out of hiring a team of dudes, seems like it would mess with the balance a bit.

Good to know for playthrough 2 :)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Wow that seems really cheap. $3k for a merc with customized attributes beats the hell out of hiring a team of dudes, seems like it would mess with the balance a bit.

Good to know for playthrough 2 :)

Atfer you learn the ropes the choice of which mercs to pick boils down to who you like the most, not who's the best at something. Sure 6 IMPs will make the game easier, especially in the start but the mid to endgame will be more or less the same.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
I feel like I'm missing a crucial step in the installation of Possum DBB Mod v4 . I grabbed Possum DBB Mod v4.7z off of here and tried putting the files in it into the JA2 folder or in the Data folder but neither seems to add them to the game. Installing 1.13 is easy peasy but I feel like I'm retarded or something for Possum's DBB Mod.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Make sure you dump all the files into your Data-1.13 folder instead of just the normal Data folder. 1.13 makes it so the game reads content from that folder instead of normal Data.

EDIT: Also I don't think it works with existing save games, you'd have to start a new game. Easiest way to check is your IMP merc would start with a weird-rear end weapon - mine arrived with a Mk16 Mod0 Fully Armed.

Georg LeBoui fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 20, 2009

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Georg LeBoui posted:

Make sure you dump all the files into your Data-1.13 folder instead of just the normal Data folder. 1.13 makes it so the game reads content from that folder instead of normal Data.

EDIT: Also I don't think it works with existing save games, you'd have to start a new game. Easiest way to check is your IMP merc would start with a weird-rear end weapon - mine arrived with a Mk16 Mod0 Fully Armed.
Yeah it looks like it worked, thanks a lot! Just put your xml file in there too, and cheated to get to Drassen to make sure it didn't crash on Bobby Ray's. You gave the Derringer 13 range? :colbert:

Good Lord DBB adds a bunch of stuff. It's like upgrading to 1.13 all over again.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Okay some stuff there is going to be wrong, okay. :colbert: Essentially for most pistols and SMGs I just added an extra 1 to range, so 30 becomes 130 (or 13 tiles), 50 became 150 (or 15 tiles), etc. Which is actually what Possum did in reverse. I've looked into the default JA2 weapons.xml and for example the Beretta always had a range of 150.

You can easily change any of the stats by going to the XML-Editor. Go Items -> Show by Class -> Guns, double click the item you want to change. The important stuff is under Attributes. Don't forget to save your changes afterwards.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Georg LeBoui posted:

Okay some stuff there is going to be wrong, okay. :colbert: Essentially for most pistols and SMGs I just added an extra 1 to range, so 30 becomes 130 (or 13 tiles), 50 became 150 (or 15 tiles), etc. Which is actually what Possum did in reverse. I've looked into the default JA2 weapons.xml and for example the Beretta always had a range of 150.

You can easily change any of the stats by going to the XML-Editor. Go Items -> Show by Class -> Guns, double click the item you want to change. The important stuff is under Attributes. Don't forget to save your changes afterwards.

Also of note; you may have to right click on the table and click Enable Editing. Just to make sure your poo poo works and will take effect.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
Eh I'm sure it's fine, it just kind of made me laugh (plus my xml editor crashes whenever I try to start it, something about p2item463.sti). Now to make my baseball team!

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Ah yes, it did that for me too. What I've done is just to duplicate p2item462.sti and rename it to p2item463.sti. This made it work just peachy.

By the way, how do you order Militia about during combat/quiet times?

EDIT: I just realized the Derringer is the pocket pistol and you may have meant that it's range is too far, not too short as I initially thought. :psyduck: Either way I guess my explanation still works. Actually if you look at the sort of distances that you'll be shooting at 13 tiles it's not that ridiculous of a distance.

Georg LeBoui fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 20, 2009

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Goddamnit, this thread made me reinstall JA2. I'm thinking of trying a game with just one guy (IMP merc), any tips for someone doing this the first time?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Rho posted:

Goddamnit, this thread made me reinstall JA2. I'm thinking of trying a game with just one guy (IMP merc), any tips for someone doing this the first time?

Expert Night-ops.

Pray.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

Rho posted:

I like to add an extra 75% weapon damage so all of your shots are near one shot kills. This makes it a lot easier and more bad rear end when you clear a whole sector in the middle of the night with a silenced H&K USP.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
started a new game, running XP and using the 2296.exe that was linked early on in the thread since it's a simple 'pres butan' and play thing, but I keep hitting a snag. When I'm using the inventory screen on the world map any time the mouse moves over to the left side of the screen the game freezes. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions for fixing it?

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Oh my god is the mortar an absolute easy button! I was about to attack the base in Alma when I decided to have some high explosive fun. I got a mortar, about 8 mustard shells and 10 HE shells.

During the night I sneaked my little mortar team close to the base and proceeded to shell it to gently caress with mustard gas, with a sniper positioned into the only exit so if someone decides to escape they get a bullet in the head.

Then I came back during the day to find most of the dead base defenders dead. When the reinforcements came I killed them all with 2 well-placed shells - like 5 people died from each shell.

The thing is, I don't know if it depends on the stats of the merc firing it, but my mortar hits right ontop of where I tell it to. With such ridiculous precision accuracy the only drawback is the weight of the thing, but Grunty and Igor can carry about 7 shells between them and still be combat efficient.

Malus
Nov 17, 2006

The dicks ain't biting
I'm having trouble assaulting Alma at the moment. I've snuck into the Mine at night but everytime I get spotted 12 guys come in from another sector and just wreck my poo poo.

What am I doing wrong?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Malus posted:

I'm having trouble assaulting Alma at the moment. I've snuck into the Mine at night but everytime I get spotted 12 guys come in from another sector and just wreck my poo poo.

What am I doing wrong?

Clear the adjacent sectors first. There are patrols that pass to the south and east of the mine, if you attack them you'll not only wipe out the reinforcements that they can send but also draw troops off from the mine sector.

I also find that for attacking large garrisons, and doubly so for nice open wilderness maps, it's a better idea to go during the day and bring a couple of real, long-range bolt action sniper rifles with 10x scopes. For each sniper you have, you're all but guaranteed to kill or critically injure one enemy each turn from far enough away that they never pose a threat. If you keep your other mercs in close with assault rifles you can pick off anyone who closes in to get at the snipers.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
Crossbow in DBB ignores armor :pwn:

drat I probably spend more time equipping my 4-man squad than I do actually killing people. I put a 30% bonus on explosives and they're actually useful now, for both me AND the enemy. No more keeping my guys close together!

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
What affects what bobby ray sells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
I've never been able to figure out how to effectively use auto fire in 1.13. I know how to switch the modes on the gun, but it seems like my merc will either shoot just one bullet (waste of AP, potentially getting himself killed by a counterattack), or if I click frantically, he might randomly unleash anywhere from 2-6 bullets.

Is there anyway to actually use autofire predictably?