Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Here's where I spend the majority of my waking hours (click for hi-res)

HiFiSi fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I finally got my desk reasonably organized a few days ago and cleaned up the wires today. The only thing I actively dislike about my setup is the mouse/keyboard combination. I originally picked up a G11 to make use of the macro keys for programming and while they are handy, I'm finding the actual keyboard to be incredibly uncomfortable. The MX518 is a great mouse, but I just can't stand the retarded "dented" look anymore. Plus I've changed my opinion on wireless peripherals since grabbing a VX Nano for my laptop. That thing is loving spectacular.

I also can't decide whether it's worth it to "downgrade" to two matching 19" 1680x1050 monitors or ditch the 360 to make room for another 22".

complex
Sep 16, 2003

What 22" monitor is that?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Samsung 226BW

By far one of the best 22" monitors I've used, although not as nice as a really good 19" or 24". The monitor next to it as an ancient 17" Samsung 730B that I love dearly. :shobon:

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

A new shot of my dual monitor setup. Bonus cat picture.

Click here for the full 1511x797 image.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Paradoxish posted:

By far one of the best 22" monitors I've used, although not as nice as a really good 19" or 24".

Why is a great 22" worse than a great 19" or 24" monitor? Resolution?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Azzmo posted:

Why is a great 22" worse than a great 19" or 24" monitor? Resolution?
Almost all 22" LCDs use lowest end TN Film panels, 19" and 24" are available with better panel technologies.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
My desktop:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

This badass thing:

Click here for the full 1024x1280 image.

Laptop server(slackware), books and one of my cage fighting trophies:

Click here for the full 1024x1280 image.

<3 Sweet Science

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Paradoxish posted:

I finally got my desk reasonably organized a few days ago and cleaned up the wires today. The only thing I actively dislike about my setup is the mouse/keyboard combination. I originally picked up a G11 to make use of the macro keys for programming and while they are handy, I'm finding the actual keyboard to be incredibly uncomfortable. The MX518 is a great mouse, but I just can't stand the retarded "dented" look anymore. Plus I've changed my opinion on wireless peripherals since grabbing a VX Nano for my laptop. That thing is loving spectacular.

I also can't decide whether it's worth it to "downgrade" to two matching 19" 1680x1050 monitors or ditch the 360 to make room for another 22".

Sup monitor buddy?

If you do end up downgrading, PM me I may pick up your 226BW to sit nicely with mine for a dual setup.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Need a new keyboard, cables are a horrible mess, and I need to move some furniture so I can get the case outside of the feet area, but so far I'm happy with my Vista desktop setup.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
Thank god I'm getting a new PC soon, the rest of my awesome stuff is wasted on my current shitbox :suicide:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Click here for the full 1000x730 image.

college apartment :v:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Where poo poo gets done.

The full reveal

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Home Theater PC - complete with ghetto wiring, messy floor, pissy cat, and a tv stand I found in the dumpster.

My desktop. Full tower case sits under the desk.

qlat
Aug 12, 2003

I am not a bean posted:

My desktop. Full tower case sits under the desk.
Hey there Ratpad GS + MX518 buddy :cheers:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
So after all the desk masturbation that has occured in here I made a trip to Ikea to grab a new desk and oh god has it changed this room, I used to have all my junk laid out over two full desks and now its all on this:

With markings:

Still living a little like poo poo, but hey, its a work in progress.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I am not a bean posted:

Home Theater PC - complete with ghetto wiring, messy floor, pissy cat, and a tv stand I found in the dumpster.

Jesus christ, who throws a decent sized flat screen TV in the dumpster? Was it working when you found it?

Edit: Ignore me, this was my stupid mistake.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 19, 2009

Allistar
Feb 14, 2002

Regulation, aisle 8. Nerf, aisle 15.

HalloKitty posted:

Jesus christ, who throws a decent sized flat screen TV in the dumpster? Was it working when you found it?

Did you notice the part where he said "TV stand"?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Finally got the TV up on the wall... really opens up the room!

Context-shot.

I do most of my actual computing on a Macbook either on my couch or in bed, but that's not worth taking a picture of, this is much nicer.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Allistar posted:

Did you notice the part where he said "TV stand"?

Wow, reading comprehension minus a million. Apologies.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!

Just got a Samsung NC10 netbook today with 2GB ram, installed Windows 7 on it, spent all day customising it and getting it fast & stable and then removed the watermarks on desktop - now a fully functional and fast OS :D

I've been playing 720P videos on it, streaming over wireless, downloading stuff, editing in Photoshop CS4, multitasking and it handles them all fine.

Win7 is going to be kick rear end seriously.

BinaryChef
Sep 19, 2006

Old pick but this is(was) the store. (Closed)

qlat
Aug 12, 2003

mrk posted:

Just got a Samsung NC10 netbook today with 2GB ram, installed Windows 7 on it, spent all day customising it and getting it fast & stable and then removed the watermarks on desktop - now a fully functional and fast OS :D

I've been playing 720P videos on it, streaming over wireless, downloading stuff, editing in Photoshop CS4, multitasking and it handles them all fine.

Win7 is going to be kick rear end seriously.
How is Win7 with battery life?

Also, skeptical of anyone using Vista as their main OS :colbert:

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007

mrk posted:

Where did you get that headphone stand?

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Runoir posted:

Where did you get that headphone stand?

Amazon has a ton of headphone stands only they call them "banana holders" or "fruit holders" :v:

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
I've had Vista since it came out (32bit) then recently moved to 64bit, not a single problem on either :)

I'm liking 7 though, seems very nice and it's fast on a netbook so lord knows how fast it will be on my 8GB quad core pc :D

Battery life on 7 is good on the netbook, I'm stretching 6-7 hours of usage.

Jdohyeah
Apr 15, 2006

You... accuse... me?

Colours turned out a bit hosed (improper camera settings for the type of light I was using), but you get the gist of it

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

essequamvideri posted:

Nothing impressive - a little cluttered

Gotta love the 7-8 year old SGI Widescreen 17.5in LCD at 1600x1024 resolution.. (remember the 7 year old part)

IIRC there was this non standard SGI flatpanel that required a special card to drive it.
This is just plain old VGA right?

Back in 1999 I was gay for SGI and Sun hardware, but now it's like so many overpriced toys.

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007

tonelok posted:

Amazon has a ton of headphone stands only they call them "banana holders" or "fruit holders" :v:

Thanks! I'd never have thought of this.

Rhuidean
Oct 29, 2007
One More Engineer

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

A mostly Logitech setup here; mouse, keyboard and speakers. The machine is one I built a few months ago, I quite like the Antec case; it's very quiet. The laptop is running the Windows 7 beta which has been very cool so far. 2G iPhone on the desk in its dock was bought from a friend when he upgraded; I love the loving thing. Endymion is a fantastic book btw; Dan Simmons can write some excellent sci-fi.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Runoir posted:

Thanks! I'd never have thought of this.
The sad thing is, there are probably companies who have taken simple banana/fruit holders and relabeled them as "headphone stands" and sold them for four times as much.

georgelazenby
Apr 14, 2004
georgelazenby
nearly

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

tonelok posted:

The sad thing is, there are probably companies who have taken simple banana/fruit holders and relabeled them as "headphone stands" and sold them for four times as much.

Wrap some fancy looking braided cable around the stand and use the harmonics somewhere in the description, and you will have people paying 8 times as much.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There are upsides and downsides to layoffs. The downside is that I had to move into a cube by the boss, whereas before I was up in the front of the complex and could duck out at 2 PM.

The upside is that I still have a job, and there is lots of extra equipment lying around...finally got a new laptop, blackberry curve, and two new desktops with dual monitors each which I linked with synergy2.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

devmd01 posted:

There are upsides and downsides to layoffs. The downside is that I had to move into a cube by the boss, whereas before I was up in the front of the complex and could duck out at 2 PM.

The upside is that I still have a job, and there is lots of extra equipment lying around...finally got a new laptop, blackberry curve, and two new desktops with dual monitors each which I linked with synergy2.

Nice 7960. Most of the offices I've worked in have had super old Avaya or Panasonic phone systems. :saddowns:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Sniep posted:

Nice 7960. Most of the offices I've worked in have had super old Avaya or Panasonic phone systems. :saddowns:

7970 or bust.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Check your god drat voicemail!

Fathom
Mar 11, 2005

Damn Kids!

InferiorWang posted:

But make sure and do it from the Cisco Unity Webpage and not the phone itself, or maybe from your email if you have that set up. Don't touch the pretty phone.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

InferiorWang posted:

VOIP or bust.

That voicemail light has been on there for at least a year, before I stopped being a scrub and started having my desk phone forward to my blackberry after 3 rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
AH THE MATRIX SCREENSAVER.

But honestly, anything but that.