Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I rented a Harley sportster when I was in San Fransico once and for the first day I had it I couldn't bring myself to lane split. It was a combination of being scared and inexperience. The second day I was stuck in traffic on highway 1 near Monterey with traffic packed so tight I was sure there was no way I could even attempt it so I just stayed put.

About 30-40 minutes into this a guy on a HUGE full-fared Harley zooms by me splitting lanes like it was nothing. I had no idea how he was going to split with such a wide bike, and figured then was my chance to learn. I followed that guy past my exit just for the laugh-factor. The guy was a master at splitting, the traffic was at a slow 5-10 mph crawl and we were doing about 20-25 mph just cutting through there like it was nothing.

The rest of that day and the next and final day I had the bike I was splitting lanes and moving to the front at lights like it was nothing. Once I got it figured out and did it a few times it felt natural. If you ever go down through California on a bike you will figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hedgiejugglr
Feb 18, 2007

Christoff posted:

I only do it at stop lights and such when I want to get to the front. It's not like I'm going 80 on the freeway cutting through lanes full of cars. (Although some people do)

Yeah, I had a friend that used to do split traffic on the freeway at an average speed of 100mph. I have absolutely no idea why he did something that stupid as he is an extremely bright guy. Who knows maybe he just liked the thrill and danger of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

hedgiejugglr posted:

Not that lane splitting is legal here in Oregon, but the mere idea of it is rather frightening. There is too great a chance someone won't see you and change lanes into you or catching a review mirror to the face.

See, the thing is: In most situations where you're lane splitting, there is no place for someone to merge into you. People don't like to get their cars all close up against one another, so there's almost always enough room, unless you run into some douchebag.

Plus, most of the time you're not even cutting it close enough to have mirrors that close to you. It's not like you're forced to split faster than you're comfortable or anything.

It's one of those activities that seems dangerous, but when done correctly is actually less dangerous than sitting between cars in traffic, as one moment of the person behind you not paying attention and you've got a bumper on your passenger seat.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

hedgiejugglr posted:

Not that lane splitting is legal here in Oregon, but the mere idea of it is rather frightening. There is too great a chance someone won't see you and change lanes into you or catching a review mirror to the face.

I honestly don't think I could survive commuting in California without lane splitting. Its actually one of the major negatives on my list for deciding whether to move to Portland. If you do it safely and intelligent speeds and speed differences its not very scary at all, and quite a few people (including the Hurt report) claim its actually safer than not doing it during stop and go traffic. Personally I'd rather be sideswiped by a car than crushed between two of them when someone doesn't stop in time behind me. It also frees up space for cars, decreasing traffic for everyone. Theres definitely a reason its considered normal to the rest of the world outside the USA.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I want to ride in Crazy California traffic just so i can give it a try, seems like a blast to me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Between riding in Spain and California I always just assumed lane splitting was a thing motorcycles could do. It was only until I recently started riding that I found out a big plus of California was that you could lane split. I'd get so frustrated sitting in traffic at a busy intersection. Hell, I'm not even sure if riding would be worth it in metropolitan areas.

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
I couldn't imagine not being able to lane split. I was a little afraid the first time I did it, but otherwise it's a breeze. Once you've done it enough you'll know exactly how far out and what height your mirrors are. It's really embarrassing having your mirrors hit a car's mirrors when you're going to the front of a light.

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002
Another SF rider here. If I couldn't lane split, I would almost rather be in a car instead. It makes commuting so much faster. Like someone else said, if you only do it to get to the front at red lights, which I do, then it's perfectly safe. The best part about lane splitting in SF is that almost EVERYBODY is totally cool with it. I've been riding for only about 4 months, commute every day, lane split at every light, and I've never had anyone honk, yell, open a car door, or try to block my way at all. They will usually yield to me and let me go on ahead when the light turns green. Honestly though, until I started riding I thought lane-splitters were assholes, but most likely it was pure jealousy.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
I lane split in L.A. on the regular. Most cars/people are cool with it. Highways or on the city streets. If you go at a pace your comfortable with it's all gravy. And way way way faster than a cage.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Not to mention front row parking at the college and lane splitting through all the bs there during crunch time. Can we just start a thread on lane splitting?

I know cops can do what they want. But when they're just normally cruising in other states do they lane split on the highway and such? It's the norm here to see a bike cop lane splitting at 75 in the car pool lane.

Also, how much of a violation is it in other states? Can you still do it here and there and be alright? Or is it a moving violation? People don't do it at all?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 21, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Christoff posted:

Also, how much of a violation is it in other states? Can you still do it here and there and be alright? Or is it a moving violation? People don't do it at all?

I've only seen lane splitting a handful of times here in IL, so I don't know how cops would react. Only once was it filtering to the front at a light and not squid behavior on the highway, which I'm sure you'd get in serious trouble for. I would suspect filtering would definitely get you pulled over, though you might just get a talkin' to.

I've personally only done it once. There was an ambulance parked just beyond my driveway, so all the cars were stopped. I was three cars back from getting into my parking lot, so I cut along on the right and pulled in. Everyone was too busy dealing with the ambulance to notice me.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I lanesplit rarely in MD and depending on mood and/or phase of the moon. I always stop if I see a cop and haven't been caught otherwise so I'm not sure how they'd react- depends on the person anyway. Occasionally people will yell or honk at you because they are stupid. I was talking to an instructor in from the Total Control class about it and he said he split pretty regularly (DC area commute) and only ever had police bleep a siren at him. But mostly if I get caught in traffic, I sit there like all the other toolboxes reading their newspaper!

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I split to front of lines if space allows at lights anywhere generally, as long as I'm not jumping like 10 cars to the front. I've done it with a cop at the other side of the intersection in NJ (Didn't know he was there until I got to the front of the line) and all he did was wag his finger at me through the window and smile. Granted though, I was fairly positive I was getting pulled over until that point.

For traffic, I'll split if it's the dead of the summer and it's stopped dead. Besides that I normally just hang out and act like a car in the slower moving traffic. If it's stopped dead in the summer though, there is a high likelihood of me getting very close to overheating in all the gear, so I'll feel justified. If I'm comfortable I'll just relax and turn off the bike though, no rush.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Lane splitting in stopped traffic is mellow; in slow moving traffic it's mostly cool. Then things get stressful when it speeds up a little more. I definitely hate it when there's a space on one side because then there's the chance someone can jump lanes. What sucks is around Santa Clara on 101, the divide between the #1 and #2 lanes has a big ridge, so I tend to back off in that area.

My commute is from Mountain View to San Jose, south of downtown. By the time I get home, taking off my helmet feels like explosive decompression. The level of concentration demanded by lane splitting on the freeways here is exhausting, even if it is fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AnnoyBot posted:

Lane splitting in stopped traffic is mellow; in slow moving traffic it's mostly cool. Then things get stressful when it speeds up a little more. I definitely hate it when there's a space on one side because then there's the chance someone can jump lanes. What sucks is around Santa Clara on 101, the divide between the #1 and #2 lanes has a big ridge, so I tend to back off in that area.

My commute is from Mountain View to San Jose, south of downtown. By the time I get home, taking off my helmet feels like explosive decompression. The level of concentration demanded by lane splitting on the freeways here is exhausting, even if it is fun.

Watching the gaps is the #1 thing that you can do to split safely. The other thing to remember is that if you're next to someone and they cut into you, chances are good that you have space to move as well. I've been saved by that once, in LA...guy in a TC tried to jump from the leftmost lane to the #2 lane, I swerved hard, my elbow just barely caught his mirror, and he jerked his way back into his lane.

I also had some oblivious bitch tap the back end of my 250 once. :sigh:

And that feeling is why I was so happy to move closer to work. Lane splitting 25 minutes home is better than being in the car for an hour+, but it was brutal on my concentration and focus.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

I just got this today, my first bike- A 1981 Yamaha XT250. Now I need to get it running correctly. I also got on it and instantly realized that I'm probably way too big for the bike. (6'4", 200) You can see how bent my legs are. Also, love to squint.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
That's a mean looking cycle.

On the lane splitting: I do it on my moped, but only when there is a turn ahead, and its only one lane with traffic backed up. There's one turn in specific that I am thinking of, where it forks at the end of the lane, and everyone wants to turn left. I just ride up the side and turn right, and saves me about 5 minutes of waiting on cars to turn. I feel badass. I would need more power to justify doing it at a light, because I hold up traffic as it is.

I would probably lane split on a bigger bike too, as the "safety" argument makes since to me. Keep moving forward, and you don't have to worry about someone ramming one up your butt. That might just be because I've had two cars totaled in 3 years due to rear endings, but I digress.

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~
I sold my EX500 to my co-worker back in May 08. I'd been wanting to upgrade, so I bought this Friday:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Yeah, my 500 was lime green too. :)

I was going to pick it up yesterday, but couldn't get a ride to the dealer. I walk outside today, and its loving snowing. When I finally get it, I'll get my dslr out and get some nice photos.

anuj fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 26, 2009

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Chill_Bebop posted:

I just got this today, my first bike- A 1981 Yamaha XT250. Now I need to get it running correctly. I also got on it and instantly realized that I'm probably way too big for the bike. (6'4", 200) You can see how bent my legs are. Also, love to squint.

Cool bike. The 80s suspension is probably sagging a lot with age, so some work may make it a little taller.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

ReelBigLizard posted:

Cool bike. The 80s suspension is probably sagging a lot with age, so some work may make it a little taller.

Its way down the list of things to do. Its not starting up, and Im suspecting its spark or carb issues. I have to clean the Carb this friday and replace the spark plug, and hope to god it isn't something worse.

shootme
Dec 29, 2001

Excuse me, where can I find Hevi-Shot?
1989 Honda Dominator/NX650

Stock aside from Acerbis handguards, smaller mirrors, and dunlop 606's, I also painted it

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Chill_Bebop posted:

Do some research, my buddy has an 82 Honda XL250, and he found he can just bolt on a 1985 CR125 rear shock and suspension. It's motocross suspension but it sure picked it up a bit. Take a look at the YZ's in the same years.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
Edit: Removed old picture.

basx fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 27, 2012

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

shootme posted:

1989 Honda Dominator/NX650

Stock aside from Acerbis handguards, smaller mirrors, and dunlop 606's, I also painted it

In other words, not all that stock. :downsrim:

My turn! It's legally a motorcycle now.. 70cc, does more than 40mph. Yes, that is a tin plated pigs stomach.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Nerobro posted:

In other words, not all that stock. :downsrim:

My turn! It's legally a motorcycle now.. 70cc, does more than 40mph. Yes, that is a tin plated pigs stomach.

By legally, do you mean you actually went through the process of registering it/getting it checked out for a plate, or just in the "well, I SHOULD tell the cops, but they probably won't care" sense?

EDIT: Not a cop.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Figure I have to chime in. Total squid here, never ridden a bike before (save for my go-ped and using ATVs for work). So I figured it was a good idea to go at get rear end-raped for $3k at a dealer for this:

But hey, it's shiney, comfortable, and makes me feel so much better about my tiny penis. Now, if I actually knew how to ride . . .

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~

Tsaven Nava posted:

Figure I have to chime in. Total squid here, never ridden a bike before (save for my go-ped and using ATVs for work). So I figured it was a good idea to go at get rear end-raped for $3k at a dealer for this:

But hey, it's shiney, comfortable, and makes me feel so much better about my tiny penis. Now, if I actually knew how to ride . . .

That's a beautiful bike. What do you plan on doing as to learning how to ride though? Are you going to try and figure it out yourself, or try the MSF course?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

anuj posted:

That's a beautiful bike. What do you plan on doing as to learning how to ride though? Are you going to try and figure it out yourself, or try the MSF course?

HA! I weight like 155lbs dripping wet, you think I'm going to figure out a 500lb bike on my own? No sir, I'm waiting until the MSF course in the spring before I do much more then push it around my garage :)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

God-damned Pilates posted:

EDIT: Not a cop.

Even if you were.... Whatever. You've got bigger fish to fry than a 40mph motorcycle.

Mopeds in Illinois are defined by being 50cc or less, and reaching not more than 30mph in 1 mile. The bike is now 70cc and I'm now doing 35mph in one block. Not that any cop in Illinois would know that off the top of their head, nor would they be equipped to police said rules.

Mopeds only exist in Illinois as "motorcycles without M class requirements" they are otherwise treated as motorcycles. Including license, registration and title transfer costs.

Next project is to get a better carb and intake on there. 60mph, here I come.

To add to the thread.. 1971 Yamaha CT1. Needs a the kickstarter mechanism rebuilt, and the carb cleaned.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Where do you find a moped in Illinois. I've been doing quick Craigslist searches from time-to-time and never see anything for sale and there seems to be only one shop in Chicago based on a quick Google search.

I'd love to get one to dick around on for $200-$300.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

There's a green peugeot 103 in naperville, if you're inclined. Catch me on aim sometime... that budget is doable. My buddy picked up his Batavus for $130.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tempting. I'll have to think about it. I'm not sure how useful one would be to me as I don't have anywhere I can keep it and every road around me is 40+ mph. I was just more curious on where the things can be found while I dream about 'em.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Uthor posted:

Where do you find a moped in Illinois. I've been doing quick Craigslist searches from time-to-time and never see anything for sale and there seems to be only one shop in Chicago based on a quick Google search.

I'd love to get one to dick around on for $200-$300.

If you're near Chicago get it from Curt and Pat.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

From a ride a couple weeks ago:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

From a ride after work today:

The ZX-10 is my friends, its an '89.

lovely cell phone pics, sorry.

CompulsiveGamer
Jul 27, 2006
Who wants to get sexy with the captain?

jdonz posted:

From a ride a couple weeks ago:

lovely cell phone pics, sorry.

Makes me miss my now-dead GS500:

R.I.P. little buddy :(

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Wow. How did you kill a GS500? IED? :confused:

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.

CompulsiveGamer posted:

Makes me miss my now-dead GS500:

R.I.P. little buddy :(

Tomorrow all my gaskets come in and I can hopefully put my cylinder head back on with its new valves and resurrect mine. Yay

CompulsiveGamer
Jul 27, 2006
Who wants to get sexy with the captain?

Simkin posted:

Dodge RAM pickup truck impact to the rear, parking lot. Nobody was hurt.

AFAIK the only way to kill a GS500

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Simkin posted:

Obviously, "improvised" won't cut it. It takes a directed energy weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psyko
Aug 30, 2006

Let the staring contest begin
First, my old '78 Tiger 750.

Not all that big, but handles like dream and runs even better.

However, she's a bit small for me (that's November 07 and me being stupid). For any long ride to be comfortable/non spine deforming I'd need to put the controls forward about 5". Instead, and because I can't afford to keep it up on my near nonexistent budget, I'll be grabbing my 1200 Sportster and bringing it from NY to WA this summer. No pics of that for now, but when I dig them up I'll post them (along with the BMW, the 78 Goldwing, and the Big Dog, if I can-those are all back home, but they're my dad's, with the exception being the Beamer which belongs to a friend from back in Hawaii).