Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Contingency Plan posted:

My touch refuses to have a specific podcast episode (the most recent Giant Bombcast, if it matters) on it. Clicking and dragging through iTunes doesn't do anything. The episode will download through the iTunes app but won't be listed on the menu of podcast episodes. What's more, downloading it directly to the touch increases the 'other' allocation of memory by about 60 megs - the size of the episode.
Any advice? Other podcasts load just fine.

My guess is that one podcast has something corrupt in its meta data or ID3 tag.. The touch probably has it get into memory, but can't tell what it is.

Try rebuilding the tag and see if that helps making sure all required info is filled-in

Also, for sake of argument, make sure that the podcast is flagged as new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asveepay
Jul 7, 2005
internobody
When i want to play old podcasts that won't (or i don't want to) sync, i just make a new playlist and drag them into it. they'll show up there, but not under podcasts.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
ya the entire podcast management in itunes is a train wreck.

I had it set to sync the most recent 1 podcast but I listen to weekly and daily podcasts, and not everyday. So I set it to only sync New podcasts, and that just uploaded a completely random assortment of podcasts from my library, and wouldn't let me drag them manually from the list. Now I've got it on sync to something.. un-played I think. and it lets me drag them now, but only if that checkbox beside the podcast is checked (lord knows what that means or does).

so ya, I've got it to work, but man.. what a mess.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Starhawk posted:

I had it set to sync the most recent 1 podcast but I listen to weekly and daily podcasts, and not everyday. So I set it to only sync New podcasts, and that just uploaded a completely random assortment of podcasts from my library, and wouldn't let me drag them manually from the list. Now I've got it on sync to something.. un-played I think. and it lets me drag them now, but only if that checkbox beside the podcast is checked (lord knows what that means or does).

I found the safest way is to tell the ipod to keep all podcasts, and just manually delete from itunes the ones you already listened too.

Works for me, though I listen to every new podcast all week so they never back up.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If anyone hasn't tried iShoot Lite yet, it's free from the app store and is awesome. I hadn't gotten any paid apps yet, but after five minutes of the lite version, I decided I would buy it even if it were $10; it turned out to be $3 and I've already played for a good 6 hours since yesterday afternoon.

Pristine Shits
Dec 11, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

If anyone hasn't tried iShoot Lite yet, it's free from the app store and is awesome. I hadn't gotten any paid apps yet, but after five minutes of the lite version, I decided I would buy it even if it were $10; it turned out to be $3 and I've already played for a good 6 hours since yesterday afternoon.

what does the regular version have above lite? that and flick fishing are the only games I have on mine and I love them

randomjoebob
Apr 2, 2007

Gymp posted:

http://www.redsn0w.com/
Well, looks like the iPhone dev team has successfully done a jailbreak on the 2G iPod touch.
Should be something released within the next few days.

That is great news. The link does not take me to a site with information. Where did you read this?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I feel like every other day I'm updating an application... while I know I could just hold off on it, my OCD makes me update them every time I see a number above that ap.

Too bad they don't have a single Ap Store release/update day like most online stores. I feel like I'm checking out the new stuff every single day, and it's drat addicting.

Why am I complaining about this?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ElwoodCuse posted:

How useful is a Touch as a secondary internet option? My Blackberry doesn't have wifi and the high-speed signal at home is often poor.

Are 2nd-gen refurbs still a long way off? Or should I just go with Amazon (I think it's ~$215 tax-free for the 8 there).

My two cents on the iPod TOuch as an internet device, based on use on this here trip: It sucks if you do not have control of the internet connection: It cannnot really find secured network, weak networks just drop constantly.

My MacBook is finding the network easily. The iPod Touch cannot find it, and cannot stay connected.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

randomjoebob posted:

That is great news. The link does not take me to a site with information. Where did you read this?

A quick google gave me this information, but I would take posts on that forum with a grain of salt because they seem kind of crazy. One guy's "insider source" says Monday but I wouldn't put any faith into that.

Also, what's the deal with jailbreaking and warranties? Do you void the warranty? As much as I want to jailbreak my ipod, I'm not giving up my warranty.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 17, 2009

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Anyone here have experiences using TVersity to stream media to their ipod? Got any handy tricks to throw at that lovely software it makes you install?

It works well enough but it doesn't seem to do on the fly transcoding so the ipod sits there for as long as it takes to transcode a video (Nevermind doing a movie!)
Pretty annoying.

Super Dude posted:

Also, what's the deal with jailbreaking and warranties? Do you void the warranty? As much as I want to jailbreak my ipod, I'm not giving up my warranty.

It's a firmware change so no, you don't void anything. It's just software, brah.

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

randomjoebob posted:

They've jailbroken the 2G, but they're now working on a more user-friendly way for everyone else.
Even though this forum is infested with functional 12 year old retards, a bunch of information about the eventual jailbreak can be found in this post: http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131018
The most helpful/reliable site is the dev team's blog: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I can't believe there are so many farting applications in the store...

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Astro7x posted:

I can't believe there are so many farting applications in the store...

I don't understand why anyone would actually pay for one.

randomjoebob
Apr 2, 2007

Gymp posted:

They've jailbroken the 2G, but they're now working on a more user-friendly way for everyone else.
Even though this forum is infested with functional 12 year old retards, a bunch of information about the eventual jailbreak can be found in this post: http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131018
The most helpful/reliable site is the dev team's blog: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Ah, I see. Hopefully they will release this soon. So I can enjoy my iTouch as most do.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

randomjoebob posted:

Ah, I see. Hopefully they will release this soon. So I can enjoy my iTouch as most do.

the current jailbreak for ipod touch 2g has to be applied everytime the ipod boots, from what i read as soon as they figure out a way around that they'll release it

a lot of people are hoping on tomorrow, but the chronic dev blog said that wasn't likely. i kinda wish they would just release it in it's current form since i rarely reboot my ipod

granpa yum fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 19, 2009

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
good news RE: the jailbreak for the 2g.

the videos on that dev-blog page explain things very well.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pristine Shits posted:

what does the regular version have above lite? that and flick fishing are the only games I have on mine and I love them
19 more weapons, photo landscapes (mt. Rushmore, US Capitol, white House, and more) and you can move your tank.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Is it just me or is the blog for the jailbreak team down? Maybe it means they are preparing for release? I am too optimistic sometimes.

edit: It looks like they added a huge FAQ to stop people from speculating and asking the same questions 20,000 times.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 21, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
So what happens when it is jailbroken? I've never owned an Apple product before so I don't even know what general programs can then be used. I know you can hack the GUI, but what else? Do people then download the apps for free instead of paying for them, or is it just to run homebrew poo poo?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

So what happens when it is jailbroken? I've never owned an Apple product before so I don't even know what general programs can then be used. I know you can hack the GUI, but what else? Do people then download the apps for free instead of paying for them, or is it just to run homebrew poo poo?

You could use it to pirate things but the real power is that it lets you run any code that would be flat out denied by the app store. This is anything from web browsers to console emulators to background applications. I personally cant wait to play advanced wars on my ipod.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Juriko posted:

You could use it to pirate things but the real power is that it lets you run any code that would be flat out denied by the app store. This is anything from web browsers to console emulators to background applications. I personally cant wait to play advanced wars on my ipod.

not to sound dumb, but Advance Wars as in, we can run a GBA emulator?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Here's hoping for an offline directions program.

Let me choose how much storage to give it and choose what cities you'd like to have saved. PLEASE.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

unicr0n posted:

not to sound dumb, but Advance Wars as in, we can run a GBA emulator?

Yes, there are a variety of console emulators running on the ipod including the psx(very poorly right now).

Let me choose how much storage to give it and choose what cities you'd like to have saved. PLEASE.

Jesus christ yes. The lack of an offline maps option for my touch pisses me off.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

I don't really know how the maps programs truly work, but it would seem to me that it would require a huge amount of space.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Super Dude posted:

I don't really know how the maps programs truly work, but it would seem to me that it would require a huge amount of space.

It would if you stored everything (there is a offline GPS app and it is nearly 1 gig) but most of us would be fine if the thing just let us cache a city or two.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Juriko posted:

Yes, there are a variety of console emulators running on the ipod including the psx(very poorly right now).

Jesus christ yes. The lack of an offline maps option for my touch pisses me off.

But without a drat controller or buttons, they pretty much suck.. Non-tactile buttons, especially a d-pad are annoying as hell, plus they take up screen space.

If someone finishes the peripheral add-ons, then I can see an emulator being useful.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

FidgetyRat posted:

But without a drat controller or buttons, they pretty much suck.. Non-tactile buttons, especially a d-pad are annoying as hell, plus they take up screen space.

If someone finishes the peripheral add-ons, then I can see an emulator being useful.

It doesn't bother me that much. I am also not worried about playing SSF2T or any high twitch games. They suck about as much as a controller sucks for FPS's, which is to say it just takes getting used to.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Super Dude posted:

Read the thing you quoted me on:

"Let me choose how much storage to give it and choose what cities you'd like to have saved. PLEASE."

I realize maps for the world would prolly not fit on my Touch, but I should be able to choose "Ontario" or "Los Angeles" or perhaps say "I'll allow you 2gb of space - here's my starting position, give me as much info as you can"

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Read the thing you quoted me on:

"Let me choose how much storage to give it and choose what cities you'd like to have saved. PLEASE."

I realize maps for the world would prolly not fit on my Touch, but I should be able to choose "Ontario" or "Los Angeles" or perhaps say "I'll allow you 2gb of space - here's my starting position, give me as much info as you can"

Except you don't know if it would take 2GB or 15GB of space to download just your neighborhood. Just saying "I'll give you 3 GB" doesn't mean anything when you have no reference as to how much space things take up. Who knows, maybe your give me as much as you can stops after 1 mile. 1/2 mile? 1/4 mile?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Except you don't know if it would take 2GB or 15GB of space to download just your neighborhood. Just saying "I'll give you 3 GB" doesn't mean anything when you have no reference as to how much space things take up. Who knows, maybe your give me as much as you can stops after 1 mile. 1/2 mile? 1/4 mile?

How could one square mile of Google Maps data possibly take up 3GB?

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

Rock Tumbler posted:

How could one square mile of Google Maps data possibly take up 3GB?

Maybe that is extreme, but at the highest zoom level, satellite images take a fair bit of space. Just the map data would be fairly small I would think.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

jeff8472 posted:

Maybe that is extreme, but at the highest zoom level, satellite images take a fair bit of space. Just the map data would be fairly small I would think.

I have already mentioned it but there is an offline gps app and its total data footprint is under a gig. It just happens to suck and also require an iphone. You can already get the ipod to cache most of a city, but it is a pain in the rear end and there is no way to guarantee the cache won't get deleted.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Juriko posted:

I have already mentioned it but there is an offline gps app and its total data footprint is under a gig. It just happens to suck and also require an iphone.

Why does the iphone have an offline app?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Why does the iphone have an offline app?

Because it is a GPS app, and while often you might be able to get a location signal in an area you won't always get a cell signal. It guarantees the phone can function as a GPS anywhere you can get a positional signal.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
IRC Channel!

For all your jailbreak needs...

irc.synirc.org #jailbreak

Get mIRC, chatzilla for Firefox, or Colloquy for OS X

Type /server irc.synirc.net

then /join #jailbreak

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003
Just got a Touch 2G on impulse, waiting anxiously for the new jailbreak to be released. This thing is awesome even without the jailbreak though.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ProdigalSon posted:

Just got a Touch 2G on impulse, waiting anxiously for the new jailbreak to be released. This thing is awesome even without the jailbreak though.

Stanza
Flashlight
ReAddle Docs

Those are the immediately useful things I got.

Evernote seems like it would be useful, but it has not become so for me yet.

EDIT: Correction: ReAddleDocs is off the list. It needs a wi-fi connection to upload docs, and as noted above the Touch absolutely sucks with weak networks.So I cannot upload docs to look at them directly.

Is there a program that lets me upload files to the iPod Touch directly so that a viewer can look at them when I am not connected to the internet, or to a WiFi network?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 22, 2009

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Starhawk posted:

Do other programs handle the podcasts better? I am not looking for new programs, but if I thought anything about it, I would have assumed that the podcast handling was part of the reason many people used iTunes. It was for me for a long time.

But the again Mac so no real choice, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Juice is the best podcast aggregator I've ever used.

• Locked thread