Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
If you want music that was meant to be played on a surround system, you'll need a player capable of decoding DVD-Audio or SACD discs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Pibborando San posted:

If you want music that was meant to be played on a surround system, you'll need a player capable of decoding DVD-Audio or SACD discs.

Even these are only 5.1, as far as I'm aware. SACD on a proper 5.1 system (5 identical speakers, non-farty/boomy subwoofer) sounds completely amazing, though. Dark Side of the Moon is avalaible in a good SACD version (since it was written and intended for multichannel audio on the live shows), and I know of a later Peter Gabriel album that was also written specifically so it could make use of SACD. Good luck finding SACDs at a reasonable price, though :(.

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004

Identity Thief posted:

I just finished hooking up and installing a true 7.1 surround system that utilizes all toslink connections between components with M&K front, sides, & rear and a Velodyne 12in woofer. Now, my music sounds truly amazing, especially since the amp uses an "Audyssey" self calibrating system where you place a microphone in different places throughout the room and it sets the freq range and level settings of all speakers while emitting this annoying as gently caress submarine sonar sound.

Anyway, as I said my music sounds awesome. I'm hearing things in songs that I didn't know were there....but....

These are all songs that I have that are at 192khz on iTunes or similar, and none of these songs were specifically recorded for 7.1 (especially since I am currently listening to the Boston Symphony Orchestra's version of Bolero - while it sounds amazing, I doubt Ravel Bolero wrote the score to accommodate 2 front, 1 center, 2 side and 2 rear speakers with a sub.

I don't want a "test" cd - I want music that was developed by someone who intended on having it played on 7.1 -
Don't care if its techno, electronica, trance, jazz, classical, or new age - just as long as its not rap or country.

Any suggestions?

Well, I'm not aware of anybody mixing their songs specifically for 7.1, since doing it in 5.1 is pretty rare enough as is. A lot of live concert DVDs have 5.1/7.1 channel soundtracks, but they weren't actually originally mixed with home surround sound in mind. Someone can go in later and re-mix different inputs in different channels, but obviously it wasn't played at the concert with that in mind.

However, The Flaming Lips released Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and At War With the Mystics mixed in 5.1, and they were recorded in the studio with surround sound in mind. Pretty sure they won a grammy for the Yoshimi mix. I haven't really listened to War With The Mystics, but Yoshimi makes great use of all five channels. It's on Amazon with the CD + DVD for 20 bucks.

The DVD can play the 5.1 mix in either Dolby Digital or DVD-Audio, just make sure you have a component capable of playing one of them. I ended up playing mine through a computer, although a regular DVD player could likely work with the Dolby Digital output.

1mpper fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 23, 2009

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
Is there a way to get Milkdrop to run without winamp? Is it possible to make it respond to another/any audio source?

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Hi, I have a decently high end setup, but was wondering on advice for a cheaper subwolfer.

Basically, I'm just looking for something cheap to take pressure off my loudspeakers. Currently I'm running my Dynaudio Excite X36's off my Pioneer SC-07 and the integrated BO amps, and it sounds amazing. But I really can't crank it waayyyyyy to loud, because I don't have a subwoofer hooked up. So my questions are :

Would it be a good idea to increase the cross over from I think 50 hz to above 150? Take into account that I mostly listen to classical, and there's not as much bass involved as in most other types of music.

I know I've spent a few grand on my setup, but I'm really looking to cut corners on the sub. Anything decent that I might be able to ebay at some point for under $200? Or any deals anyone knows of? Also, if you have an idea but its more expensive, let me know I am a very easy sell.

the oinkinator
Dec 25, 2005
I'm no sub expert, hell I don't know much about them at all really, but at a quick glance your speakers have a frequency response of 35hz and a power rating of 250W (colour me impressed).

I've been looking for cheapish subs myself (although I've been looking at prices in GBP not USD) and any sub with a 35hz freq response running at 250W outputting around 105dB will probably run you at least $400 (maybe even $600+). And from the sounds of things, they would only be matching your current set up. I'm not much help here because I won't make recommendations (I've never even owned a sub, my first is in the post as we speak). I'll leave that to somebody else.

Also, quite a few commonly used instruments in classical music (piano for example), have the capability for some quite low bass frequencies. See below. Probably won't make much difference to your final choice.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname

the oinkinator posted:

I'm no sub expert, hell I don't know much about them at all really, but at a quick glance your speakers have a frequency response of 35hz and a power rating of 250W (colour me impressed).

I've been looking for cheapish subs myself (although I've been looking at prices in GBP not USD) and any sub with a 35hz freq response running at 250W outputting around 105dB will probably run you at least $400 (maybe even $600+). And from the sounds of things, they would only be matching your current set up. I'm not much help here because I won't make recommendations (I've never even owned a sub, my first is in the post as we speak). I'll leave that to somebody else.

Also, quite a few commonly used instruments in classical music (piano for example), have the capability for some quite low bass frequencies. See below. Probably won't make much difference to your final choice.

Wow, thats a hell of a chart, thanks a lot. I guess I'm going to have to do a bit more research on this than I wanted, lol.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni
You are in the budget range for an entry level Hsu sub.

The STF-1 will hit a very solid 32Hz.

Recently I picked up a mint B&W asw300 for 300(can dollars) and that was a little on the highish price side.

Sometimes used is the best option, hit up Clist and perhaps Audiogon, sometimes you can snipe a great deal.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I've been looking at picking up a new sub, and the PA-120 seems ideal for a budget sub from the reviews I've read all around (good ones on avsforum). They are on eBay (new, $230 shipped) with a frequency response of 24Hz +/- 3 (haven't seen any reviews on the + end of that). Not quite as loud as some, which is just fine for me.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for the cheapest possible mp3 player with an intuitive navigation menu. I'm just now getting tired of my Creative Muvo 256mb player, and I want something with a little more capacity and something resembling an interface built for humans.

Any suggestions?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm looking for the cheapest possible mp3 player with an intuitive navigation menu. I'm just now getting tired of my Creative Muvo 256mb player, and I want something with a little more capacity and something resembling an interface built for humans.

Any suggestions?

Take a look at Sandisk's stuff (like this 2 gb express for $25). It's got a nice oled screen and has a better interface than creative's small players.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Danger Mahoney posted:

Any suggestions?

I loving LOVE and use DAILY my Sandisk Sansa e280 8gb. Its got an expandable microsd slot, so right now, I am running it with 8gb onboard + 8gb micro sd. The Sandisk firmware only "supports up to 2gb sd cards" and not sdhc, but with the wonderful program "RockBox" (http://www.rockbox.org), you can upgrade your firmware to open source firmware and use SDHC cards. The Rockbox firmware does NOT delete your original firmware either! So in total, when 32gb microsd cards come out, you have a 32+8gb mp3 player that is solid state.

You will find the original sandisk firmware terrible in that it refreshes the database everytime you turn it on, but RockBox cures this and boot times are no longer than 7 seconds. Also, set your sansa to "MSC" mode and hook it up to a USB port and drag and drop all of your mp3s on to your player. I loving love this thing so much.

edit: Another thing is that with ipods, when your battery craps out, you gotta send it into apple, and they will CHARGE you a service fee and such to get that replacement. With the Sansa, Sandisk is all like "Do it your loving self", and put 4 visible screws on the back of the player so you can change your own battery. Order batteries off of ebay and enjoy!

edit2: Reread your post and it is not the cheapest mp3 player, but I know if you got one, you will get TONS of mileage out of it. It appears on woot.com almost every couple weeks in the 2gb, 4gb, or sometimes the 8gb models, for a lot cheaper than retail.

ASSTASTIC fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 27, 2009

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
I'm looking to get some sort device that only does active noise canceling to block out sound completely while I ride the train or read in my apartment. It needs to be able to silence talking and high and low pitched train noises. I have ear plugs, but they just don't cut and I want to completely drown out everything going on around me.

Unfortunately, all I've been able to find is also orient to music listening and, I think, inflate the price or isn't optimal for just noise canceling. Any suggestions?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

El Kabong posted:

I'm looking to get some sort device that only does active noise canceling to block out sound completely while I ride the train or read in my apartment. It needs to be able to silence talking and high and low pitched train noises. I have ear plugs, but they just don't cut and I want to completely drown out everything going on around me.

Unfortunately, all I've been able to find is also orient to music listening and, I think, inflate the price or isn't optimal for just noise canceling. Any suggestions?

You'll never really filter out sudden loud sounds, like people laughing or shouting. Active noise cancelling works best on continuous sound, like your train noise or plane noise. Listening to music I know well (and therefore can ignore easily) on IEMs at a moderate level works fine to block out all external sound, for me at least.

Super Delegate
Jan 20, 2005

ƃɐlɟ ǝɥʇ
Is there a device that will allow me to switch between two different 3.5mm audio cable sources?

I have my computer hooked up to my creative speakers through an audio cable. I want to also use these speakers for my Wii. I can hook up the Wii using this, but I don't want to swap cables every time I want to switch.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Super Delegate posted:

Is there a device that will allow me to switch between two different 3.5mm audio cable sources?

I have my computer hooked up to my creative speakers through an audio cable. I want to also use these speakers for my Wii. I can hook up the Wii using this, but I don't want to swap cables every time I want to switch.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265015

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday
I am looking for a recommendation to help my aging mother, who is suffering from hearing loss. She recently purchased an LCD TV, a Panasonic TC37LZ85, but it is not as loud as her previous TV, and she is struggling to hear it. She wants me to "plug some speakers into it." Considering how much she struggles with the two remotes that she has, the last thing I want to do is add a receiver or a home theater system with a seperate remote. Further, since she uses hearing aids, the home theater would not be good, because the hearing aids get confused by surround sound.

The Panasonic has three audio outputs - a digital audio out, RCA jacks, and a headphone jack. I can't tell from the specs whether the TV volume up / volume down control would control those jacks. I would like to find something that plugs into one of those jacks and provides the following functions:

-Is one or two speakers
-Relatively small
-Gets loud
-Can be controlled by the TV remote.

Any ideas?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Solomon Grundy posted:

The Panasonic has three audio outputs - a digital audio out, RCA jacks, and a headphone jack. I can't tell from the specs whether the TV volume up / volume down control would control those jacks. I would like to find something that plugs into one of those jacks and provides the following functions:

-Is one or two speakers
-Relatively small
-Gets loud
-Can be controlled by the TV remote.

Any ideas?

First, you're going to want something driven off of the RCA Jacks, and then set the TV to control the volume of the external speakers with the TV volume control. (That should be in the menus in a setting somewhere, I've never seen one not have that option.)

Secondly, the external speaker(s) don't have to be "surround sound" -- it's possible to just set up a 2 channel amp and speakers. You would then leave this at, oh, 50% volume, and then use the tv volume control to set the level as explained above.

I can look for some good solutions for this a bit later, I'll post some examples of speakers that might fit the bill in a bit. Anything from small PA speakers to a cheapish pair of monitors that are active(powered) would just plug right in, though.

Super Delegate
Jan 20, 2005

ƃɐlɟ ǝɥʇ

Not in stock. I found a site that has it for around $20 but I think there must be something cheaper.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Its $15 at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-PC-Headset-Speaker-Switch/dp/B000069E1V/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233372242&sr=8-1

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Sniep posted:

... a cheapish pair of monitors that are active(powered) would just plug right in, though.

So "active" or "powered" means the speakers contain an amp? (Sorry - my audio knowledge peaked in the 1980's). And if I run those speakers from the RCA plugs and set it up through the TV menu, the TV will adjust the volume on the speakers. Got it. Thanks very much for your help.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Solomon Grundy posted:

So "active" or "powered" means the speakers contain an amp? (Sorry - my audio knowledge peaked in the 1980's). And if I run those speakers from the RCA plugs and set it up through the TV menu, the TV will adjust the volume on the speakers. Got it. Thanks very much for your help.
Yes. Basicly any computer speakers or studio monitors from Behringer or others. If the TV supports adjusting the volume on the RCA output, then that is the best option, but alternatively you could also connect them to the headphone output with suitable canle and that should also work fine.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
most dont have the ability to adjust output with the red and white on the back of the TV though.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Omegaslast posted:

most dont have the ability to adjust output with the red and white on the back of the TV though.

It is usually an option in the menus, to either have the line-outs fixed or variable level control, where variable uses the tv's own volume and will control the signal on the line-outs.

shifty
Jan 12, 2004

I dont know what you're talking about
I'd like suggestions on a center speaker, 4 satellites, and sub. Right now I have an Onkyo 706, Cerwin Vega S2s for main speakers, and a lovely Sony sub. I'm also using some Technics SB-K915s that I'm using as rear satellites, but they take up too much space.

I can spend up to $400 for the center, and would like to keep the satellites under $300. I'd like to keep the sub under $400, but I'm pretty flexible on that one. I'm in an apartment so it just needs to sound good, not get super loud.

I also need some help setting this thing. It's on each of the main speakers.

The speakers sound great as it is, but I'm sure I can make it sound better by setting this right.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
So I have a 5.1 channel setup with receiver. I'm looking to upgrade the receiver to something that can do DTS-HD and other blu-ray audio formats but it seems all of those are 7.1. If I plug my five speakers into a 7.1 receiver, will it still be 5.1 audio mixed properly or will the missing sounds sent to the extra two speakers be noticeable?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Is this a good deal? Can anyone confirm this is a reputable company? I normally shop with Crutchfield, but 50 bux is 50 bux...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543841-REG/Onkyo_TX_SR706B_TX_SR706B_Home_Theater_Receiver.html

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

Count Sacula posted:

Is this a good deal? Can anyone confirm this is a reputable company? I normally shop with Crutchfield, but 50 bux is 50 bux...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543841-REG/Onkyo_TX_SR706B_TX_SR706B_Home_Theater_Receiver.html

I've heard them recommended a few times. Good reseller rating.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/B_H_Photo_Video_Pro_Audio

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Count Sacula posted:

BHphoto is definitely a reputable company. I've ordered from them a few times for camera gear, although never for audio equipment. Now if I could just get a better deal on the Denon 1909 or Pioneer 1018...

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Falco posted:

BHphoto is definitely a reputable company. I've ordered from them a few times for camera gear, although never for audio equipment. Now if I could just get a better deal on the Denon 1909 or Pioneer 1018...

So my obvious question here is... Because these two are in the same price neighborhood as the Onkyo 706, is there something I should know?

Anyone else have any insight into this? I don't run anything crazy, just a 65" Mitsubishi 1080i projection TV and infinity rs2000.6-based 5.1, but when I move I'll probably go flatscreen and get a PS3, so I want to be ready for the future...

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Count Sacula posted:

So my obvious question here is... Because these two are in the same price neighborhood as the Onkyo 706, is there something I should know?

Anyone else have any insight into this? I don't run anything crazy, just a 65" Mitsubishi 1080i projection TV and infinity rs2000.6-based 5.1, but when I move I'll probably go flatscreen and get a PS3, so I want to be ready for the future...

Honestly, I've compared so many receivers in the past weeks I can't keep them all straight anymore. I don't have much a complicated setup either, but from my research the Onkyo 606, Denon 1909, Marantz 5002, Pioneer 1018 were all great contenders.

I really don't like the looks of the Marantz, so that got crossed off even though it is one of the best priced. The Onkyo units run very hot and I plan on putting it in an enclosed stand so that got crossed off. So now I am down to the Denon and Pioneer. Both of which can be had for around $480 or so. The Pioneer direct from Pioneer for $469+shipping and the Denon on 6ave.com using the coupon code AFLAUD25 for $486.75 with free UPS ground shipping.

I hope that didn't confuse you any deeper, and let me know what you end up with. I'm hoping to pull the trigger here shortly.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Pretty much all the "upconverting" receivers use a cheaper chip to do it and really isn't a huge difference till you get near $1000. I have a 606 and its fine for me.

Sepharo
Nov 30, 2005

EARTH! FIRE! WIND! WATER!
Deleted: Wow this is Audio not video... Sorry.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Count Sacula posted:

that's a refurb, noted by a B in the model number, which onkyo themselves are currently selling for $549 with free shipping and the option to purchase an extra 2 years of warranty for 65 bucks (bringing it to 3 total).

http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=TX-SR706&modelid=101&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1

edit: oooooooor I'm an idiot and the B stands for black, since if they put an S at the end it's the silver model... I could've sworn I'd read that the B stood for refurbished but I dunno.

tranten fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 13, 2009

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Cable posted:

I'm probably the newbiest person about a/v so don't flame me:

edit: (i'm planning to use it with my room stereo, not in a car)

do these casette adapters actually work properly? the quality of sound depends on the quality of where are you putting the tape in, or the adapter may play a role on that? and finally: does it worth it or a fm adapter would be better?

e.g http://www.gear4.com/product_detail.php?products_id=493

I use a cassette adapter in my e30 and it works fine with my 2g nano. However, my girlfriend's newer 60GB video doesn't work quite right, the audio sounds like it's being run through a really slow tremelo, the volume fades up and down.

Either way, they only cost a fraction of the FM transmitters so you really can't go wrong in trying one.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
If I wanted to spend 300 dollars or less on a 2.0 or 2.1 speaker system for my computer for listening to music and watching movies occasionally, what should I get? I was recommended KRK's Rokit series, but I figured I'd ask here. I'd rather a monitor setup than a receiver and speakers because of lack of room. any ideas?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Businesswallet I got the av123 speakers and run them with a t-amp. I really like how full they sound and the setup is around $400 for it. So probably a bit more than you want to spend. But right now av123 includes a gizmo (same as the t-amp but has variable sub output if you want to add that) for $299 plus shipping.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
eh..... I really just want something more compact I guess. I'm using it with a laptop in a small area.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

BusinessWallet posted:

eh..... I really just want something more compact I guess. I'm using it with a laptop in a small area.
Maybe the Audioengine A2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a gayer ogg oggilby
May 7, 2007

by angerbotSD
QUICK QUESTION
I have an old pioneer sx780 silverface receiver and i would like to place my technics sl d-202 turntable directly on top of it. will the heat from my receiver damage my turntable?