Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

that's loving lovely, and no wonder I couldn't do it, I was trying after that part.

After he loses it Devil's Hellfire becomes really, really strong so it's a good trade-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I've heard that the power of that move is based on the percentage of the monster book you've filled; if you've 'caught them all,' then it'll be 100% power, but if you've only caught 30% it'll be quite weak.

I just started playing Tales of the Abyss for the first time, and hard mode is a bitch. I've been getting my rear end handed to me and losing grade on nearly every fight. Do I suck, or is there a sharp curve? I know I don't have the best weapons and armor I could have at this point in the game, simply because it's too expensive to buy. and I can hardly touch Drist (I think that's his name, he fights in a big robot), and I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong.

Mercurial
Mar 28, 2006

Elixirs are expensive, you know.
When you guys say Tales of Destiny 2 was never released in the US, what game are you talking about? Because I'm pretty sure I've played it before, and it wasn't in japanese.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
That was Tales of Eternia, which Namco US decided to rename just to be as confusing as possible (the real ToD2 hadn't been made yet)

Mercurial
Mar 28, 2006

Elixirs are expensive, you know.
Thanks for clearing that up. If they ever do release that here, are they still going to call it Tales of Destiny 2, or something else?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Mercurial posted:

Thanks for clearing that up. If they ever do release that here, are they still going to call it Tales of Destiny 2, or something else?
It's not looking good. As I understand it, Tales of Destiny megabombed in the US, which meant no sequel. Tales of Destiny got remade as a Director's Cut; it and Destiny 2 are both available for PS2 in Japan. I have both. They look cool (and I heard they handle Leon better), but I haven't given them the attention they deserve yet. Destiny 2's been out way too long to be a contender for importing.

For what it's worth, I was similarly disappointed when I found out about Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage, a direct sequel to Phantasia (which is my favorite of the series), which came out for GBA in Japan and didn't come stateside. I've tried slogging through the game, but it's a Tales SRPG and my Japanese reading speed isn't fast enough for that volume of text yet. :(

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Xythar posted:

That was Tales of Eternia, which Namco US decided to rename just to be as confusing as possible (the real ToD2 hadn't been made yet)

Namco couldn't use the original name because Hasbro had copyrighted the word Eternia for their He-Man cartoon. That's fine and all, but calling it Destiny 2 in the US was just laziness on Namco's part.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

For what it's worth, I was similarly disappointed when I found out about Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage, a direct sequel to Phantasia (which is my favorite of the series), which came out for GBA in Japan and didn't come stateside. I've tried slogging through the game, but it's a Tales SRPG and my Japanese reading speed isn't fast enough for that volume of text yet. :(
So that's four games set in the Tethe'alla/Sylvarant universe?

Which brings up another point: Doesn't Tales of Phantasia take place after Symphonia 1/2? How can there still be Mana in the world? Wasn't Rattatosk going to use it all up to seal Niflheim? It kind of makes me sad because that means all of Emil and Marta's journey was for nothing.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Five, actually. I don't know what the "canonical importance" is of each of the five titles, though, especially since only three came to North America. Narikiri Dungeon and Summoner's Lineage both seem to contain PCs from Tales of Phantasia, though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I did it! It took me three loving hours but I finally beat Nebilim on Very Hard! Did it at level 85, used up all my items, and had to get pretty goddamn tricky at the end, but I stomped her rear end. Man, I haven't had a boss fight that long and hard since the Hell Wyrm in FF12.

EDIT: I got 160 Grade for the fight just because of sheer FoF and Mystic Arte use :suicide:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Calaveron posted:

Which brings up another point: Doesn't Tales of Phantasia take place after Symphonia 1/2? How can there still be Mana in the world? Wasn't Rattatosk going to use it all up to seal Niflheim? It kind of makes me sad because that means all of Emil and Marta's journey was for nothing.

I'm guessing that the answer is that there will be another game set after DNW.

It will answer that, as well as what Yuan was doing that prevented him from assisting with the whole "Dhaos" thing, and also Noishe's destiny/evolution thing.

Of course that's completely half-assed speculation.

EDIT: I've started playing ToA, goddamit Luke is almost as annoying as Emil. Fortunately Jade makes up for him by himself, without counting the other non-terrible characters.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
All of the Narikiri Dungeon games apart from the very first one are just SRW-style crossover titles so canonwise they aren't really important. The 3rd one is worth playing if you don't mind not getting the plot, the language barrier isn't bad enough to prevent you from playing the game. It has everyone up to Symphonia with Veigue and Clare from Rebirth getting cameo appearences since their game didn't come out in time, making two Tales crossovers Veigue was stiffed on :v:

e: ToD2 also got an enhanced PSP port with additional boss fights, new cutins for the mystic artes and the requirements for some of those made easier. Rebirth also got a PSP port with a few extras added in.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

wdarkk posted:

EDIT: I've started playing ToA, goddamit Luke is almost as annoying as Emil. Fortunately Jade makes up for him by himself, without counting the other non-terrible characters.

Don't worry, Luke gets better.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Relambrien posted:

Don't worry, Luke gets better.

Marginally

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It's not really made good by Luke changing so much as that he does it semi realistically and the other characters react to it very realistically. He's still semi annoying but you enjoy that the other people are also annoyed, unlike in Ratatosk where most seem to like Emil just fine when he's being an idiot.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
You know, I really hope the next console Tales game has online co-op. I know with ToV that I would have really liked to hop in to some of my friend's games to play with them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

You know, I really hope the next console Tales game has online co-op. I know with ToV that I would have really liked to hop in to some of my friend's games to play with them.

Next Tales game is going to be Wii-based, so you might want to sit down.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

The problem with online co-op for Tales games is that there's just 1 guy controlling the on-field character and everyone else just participating in combat. When I played Tales with my roommate, I would be running around doing the quests and eventually my roommate would fall asleep from the sheer boredom of watching me progress through all the dialogue.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Eddain posted:

The problem with online co-op for Tales games is that there's just 1 guy controlling the on-field character and everyone else just participating in combat. When I played Tales with my roommate, I would be running around doing the quests and eventually my roommate would fall asleep from the sheer boredom of watching me progress through all the dialogue.

Really? Like I said waaaaay earlier, my fourth playthrough of ToV was playing Rita to my best friend's Yuri and I had no problem because he would consult me on where to go, or what to look for, or what items he should buy and synth, or even some plot questions, and I had no problem just sitting back and helping him the whole time.

Plus getting to play Rita the whole time was fun as hell.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Really? Like I said waaaaay earlier, my fourth playthrough of ToV was playing Rita to my best friend's Yuri and I had no problem because he would consult me on where to go, or what to look for, or what items he should buy and synth, or even some plot questions, and I had no problem just sitting back and helping him the whole time.

Plus getting to play Rita the whole time was fun as hell.

Well, my roommate is a bum. :colbert:

Maybe I should've let him handle the main game since he doesn't have that much RPG experience (he has only played Chrono Trigger and Tales of Symphonia/Vesperia). He was playing Repede to my Yuri, but the main problem we had was that he was usually busy and couldn't devote as much time to playing co-op.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SpazmasterX posted:

Marginally
More than marginally, I'd say. He changes so much for the better that if you are beyond that point in the game you activate some skit that you were probably meant to see at the beginning of the game, Luke reverting to his old way is jarring.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Samurai Sanders posted:

More than marginally, I'd say. He changes so much for the better that if you are beyond that point in the game you activate some skit that you were probably meant to see at the beginning of the game, Luke reverting to his old way is jarring.

Yeah, I got to say I really like the way they handled that. Yuri ruins everything for me though because now all the other characters seem like moronic bitches.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Are recent Tales games made by people with an extremely abnormal hatred of video capture devices?

Tales of the Abyss freaks out my video capture dongle (an EyeTV hybrid). After reinstalling the software, trying a different computer, trying a different copy of the same device, and trying other things I discovered that apparently the ONLY games which have this issue are Tales of the Abyss and ToS:DNW.

:psyduck:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I played Tales of the Abyss through my AVerMedia AVerTVHD MCE A180 without too much of a problem. The included software had some issues with deinterlacing but Media Player Classic worked without any problems. Though granted this was my first experience using a TV tuner and TotA is the only game that I tried on it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Some guy in the PS3 thread said a PS3 version of Vesperia was announced, with new content. Woo!

Also, the fourth character poll is finished. The pretty boys continue to dominate...

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Some guy in the PS3 thread said a PS3 version of Vesperia was announced, with new content. Woo!

Also, the fourth character poll is finished. The pretty boys continue to dominate...
First Eternal Sonata gets the port with more content, now this! I knew I picked the right console!

Next is Last Remnant, right? ... Right? ... :(

EDIT: On the other hand, I did get dicked on the Fallout 3 expansions...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
gently caress, it was apparently a fake, a fake magazine scan. gently caress.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Considering how well Vesperia sold on the 360, I'm shocked they haven't announced another Tales for the 360 yet...

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
The ToD: PS2 translation is moving along. They plan on releasing a menu patch first, then starting on the rest of the game, like with ToD2. Fun fact: The menus in ToD PS2 alone have about 500kb of text. That is 5/6th of Tales of Phantasia's entire main dialogue script and twice as much as in ToD2's menus.

Screenshots and progress report here.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 22, 2009

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

BurningCourage posted:

The ToD: PS2 translation is moving along. They plan on releasing a menu patch first, then starting on the rest of the game, like with ToD2. Fun fact: The menus in ToD PS2 along have about 500kb of text. This is 5/6th of Tales of Phantasia's entire main dialogue script and twice as much as in ToD2's menus.

This is great news. Perhaps somebody here could answer a question I have regarding this. I imported a Japanese PS2 a while ago so I could play games such as the Japan only Tales games. Obviously once I patch the images I make from my discs, I can't play them on my PS2 anymore. Would a swap magic disc allow me to play burned images with the translation patch applied or do I need to invest in a mod chip?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I don't see why a Swap Magic disc wouldn't work, as long as you have the correct disc for your region.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

BurningCourage posted:

The ToD: PS2 translation is moving along. They plan on releasing a menu patch first, then starting on the rest of the game, like with ToD2. Fun fact: The menus in ToD PS2 alone have about 500kb of text. That is 5/6th of Tales of Phantasia's entire main dialogue script and twice as much as in ToD2's menus.

Mary has a horn in that picture of the status screen. Is that new...?

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Gearhead posted:

Considering how well Vesperia sold on the 360, I'm shocked they haven't announced another Tales for the 360 yet...

Did it do that well? Wikipedia, unreliable as it is, seems to show pretty average numbers. :confused:

Skychrono posted:

I haven't played Destiny myself, but from what I can tell it looks like she's just wearing a headband.

Skyelan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 22, 2009

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Skyelan posted:

Did it do that well? Wikipedia, unreliable as it is, seems to show pretty average numbers. :confused:

Well, it did cause Japan to sell out of their stock of 360s, but the most recent information I've heard is that Namco has discontinued it.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Skychrono posted:

That's no horn, that's just how it looks in that tiny portrait.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vyse_23 posted:

Well, it did cause Japan to sell out of their stock of 360s, but the most recent information I've heard is that Namco has discontinued it.
Oh, stores in Japan went out of stock on 360s a few different times while I was there. This was simply because each store had about two 360s each.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
God knows that game made me buy a 360.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Calaveron posted:

God knows that game made me buy a 360.

Same here, actually. So far it's best a great investment since I've dropped over 120+ hours into the game already.

Star Ocean 4 is also coming out in about a month. It lacks that distinctive Tales feel but it's close enough to keep me satisfied.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Eddain posted:

Same here, actually. So far it's best a great investment since I've dropped over 120+ hours into the game already.

Star Ocean 4 is also coming out in about a month. It lacks that distinctive Tales feel but it's close enough to keep me satisfied.

I'm hoping Star Ocean ends up following a trend of the even numbered ones being awesome because 2 (The Second Story/Second Evolution) was my favorite PSX era RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Eddain posted:

SO4 does indeed look really awesome. Never played an SO game before, though. How do they play?