Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That's a good question. I know it's done. It's a "common" thing on snowmobiles. I could see some real problems developing if you have radically different pressure on either side of the motor.

The problem is see is with a good turbo match, you get not a whole lot of back pressure.

Without playing thought experiment time. Yes, it works. Yes, you get radical horsepower levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

... would you look at that...

And now it's in it's frosty cold new home.

Yey for complete, working, enduros. Anyone want a TC90?

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Nerobro posted:

Anyone want a TC90?

I do.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Nerobro posted:

That's a good question. I know it's done. It's a "common" thing on snowmobiles. I could see some real problems developing if you have radically different pressure on either side of the motor.

The problem is see is with a good turbo match, you get not a whole lot of back pressure.

Without playing thought experiment time. Yes, it works. Yes, you get radical horsepower levels.

And yes, if you can't feed it the precious juice quickly enough it will melt the pistons in record time.

I actually haven't heard of a turbo'd sled and I live where they get run snowmobies in the street. You can do much better with a tuned pipe and tuning the clutching as needed to keep the engine boiling in the powerband. Find the sweet spot of the engine, hold it at that RPM and let the clutching (it's all CVT on a sled) do the hard work of varying the speed, and when you get it right it is so absofucking outrageous you think it's a jet pack strapped to your rear end.

It's been a while but some of the car companies were toying with bringing back 2 strokers for the street, these were not the usual piston ported engines. The problem they were trying to overcome was the oil, you can't keep the emissions to anything approaching legal when you burn oil, but if you seal the oil off in the crankcase you can't use the crankcase to draw the A/F mix into the cylinders and the cylinders aren't able to create vacuum to do it without the crankcase. IIRC, Suburu had the idea of using a supercharger for the scavenging (air flow) and a rotating shaft with holes to open and close the exhaust ports. Now I can't speak for everyone but if Subie had managed to put a supercharged 2 stroke of meaningful displacement in a street legal car I'd say sign me up!

And there is that e-tech engine. Put a V8 e-tech in a GM car and that'll save the company, guaranteed.

Farts on Skype
Apr 2, 2005
Anyone else going (or been to) this year's International Motorcycle Show? Anything cool/interesting to make sure I see? It's in NYC this weekend, and I heard Lee Parks is gonna be there :)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Like I said.. KTM has a 125cc 2 stroke, that's euro 3 legal. That means emissions tighter than anything the US has.... and it burns oil. The evinrude motors are actually really high tech. The KTM motor is just.. ho-hum.. run of the mill 2 stroke.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Thanks for the referral to Service Honda, I the schematics and ordering system were quite easy to use.

So I just blew $71 on the parts I need to replace after dropping my Nighthawk (hit netural vice 2d climbing a steep hill). On the bright side, the left peg was a little bent and the left passenger-peg missing when I bought it, so really I'm mostly fixing prior damage (that I later worsened) except for the $13 clutch lever, so really not too bad.

Now I just need to get cracking on that Honda PA50 moped, though it's vaguely intimidating to remove and clean a carb for the first time. There are still externally-visible parts that I can't figure out for the life of me what they are. There's a little spring-loaded lever on the back-top of the carb, that doesn't appear to have anything to pull on it (or any missing items that would attach) that perplexes me.

That and not totally sure how to get into the wires/cables on the handlebars, though I'm starting to figure "if it has a screw on it, I probably can't do too much damage unscrewing it and looking inside." I'll definitely start doing that whole "digital pics of how it looked before I took it apart" thing to compare to later.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

... would you look at that...

And now it's in it's frosty cold new home.

Yey for complete, working, enduros. Anyone want a TC90?

I'll take your tc90 motor. You pay shipping.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went to the seaside today because I had nothing much else to do and felt like going for a ride. It might not be California, but the fact that I can ride to the sea in the middle of January is fantastic, even if it does rain. And of course it did, despite what the weather forcast said. At least it cleared up once I got there. I saw a nice sunset, had some fish and chips and a cup of tea, and rode home. I've come to the conclusion that my helmet is officially tired. the pressure on my forehead was driving me mental by the time I was halfway home. The padding just isn't what it used to be. Luckily the London motorcycle show is coming up in a few weeks... hopefully I can score a deal on a last-year's Schuberth S1.
Anyway, the route I took was basically south from Chiswick, London, through Richmond and Kingston, etc on to the A24 and on down. The bit around Hampton/Leatherhead is only approximate because there was some confusion :)
route: http://tinyurl.com/8bgnwe
pictures:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Nice, that looks like a fun little cruise. I imagine that place is far more pleasant in the off season. :can:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I spend a fair amount of time over at maximumbikes, a board that has a majority of UK riders, from which I have learned at least 2 very important things.

The Welsh are not English.

And the UK may be damp but they have some of the best riding available anywhere. Here in the US we have been building roads since the 1800's, in Alaska we've been building roads since the turn of the last century and in the UK they have been building roads since Roman days, do the math, it adds up to some bukkit list riding.

Now, the important question-did you beat up any mods?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gnomad posted:

I spend a fair amount of time over at maximumbikes, a board that has a majority of UK riders, from which I have learned at least 2 very important things.

The Welsh are not English.

And the UK may be damp but they have some of the best riding available anywhere. Here in the US we have been building roads since the 1800's, in Alaska we've been building roads since the turn of the last century and in the UK they have been building roads since Roman days, do the math, it adds up to some bukkit list riding.

Now, the important question-did you beat up any mods?

The ones the Romans built are all straight though! :) All the other ones though, where they basically just paved where the sheep walked, those are great, and they're everywhere!

With my Italian bike, Italian jacket, and lack of hair product, I probably would have been the mod! Or more likely the square, given all my safety gear. At least my back protector would keep me safe from hurled stones as I ran away! :D

Simkin posted:

Nice, that looks like a fun little cruise. I imagine that place is far more pleasant in the off season. :can:

It was pretty deserted and the roads weren't busy, but on a sunny summer weekend? Forget it!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t31492.html

Pretty cool project. It's been around for a long time, but I just stumbled on it again, and figured it was worth sharing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy fuckballs this guy has alot of time and patience

http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=5933

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

You know, I enjoy putting together models, but making the chain is way too much detail for me.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
WOW, that thing is gorgeous. I can't believe how much effort he put into it (the picture of the chain link on his finger made my jaw drop). I've built up a plastic model or two in my lifetime, even rattlecanned one of them, but if it were me building up that model...just thinking about the end result makes me laugh.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Phat_Albert posted:

Holy fuckballs this guy has alot of time and patience

http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=5933

I haven't build a model since I was a kid. On one hand this makes me want to buy one. On the other, it makes me never, ever want to try putting one together again. The bar is raised too high.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I think I'm going to go and just burn all my old plastic models I was proud of. That is just too much.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.
Some of you may remember I asked a question about living without a muffler on my Honda Transalp (XL650V) for a week or so while I had it repaired (ultimately replaced).

After getting the noise checked out, it actually falls well within legal limits in my state, and the note's actually grown on me to the point where I'll pull the muffler off for a spirited ride every now and then. There doesn't appear to be any registration or insurance issues after talking with my insurer.

Because of this, I'm thinking about leaving it as is. I don't notice any power or torque differences.

Before: http://vimeo.com/1815300
After: http://vimeo.com/1815279

A couple of questions: Should I need to adjust or rejet my carbs if I wanted to keep the exhaust exiting where it is (essentially about 10cm after the cat)?

Are there any inherent dangers in shortening the exhaust path this much?

The only issue I'm a little worried about if those things 'check out' is that the exhaust currently exits in a spot where it may get too hot for some plastics if I rode for any length of time. I'm considering just getting a pipe about the same length as the muffler made up to direct the exhaust where I want it to go.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Well, there's always the comedy option of having someone fab up a straight pipe so that the exhaust dumps at the normal location, just without any baffling/restriction whatsoever.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

Well, there's always the comedy option of having someone fab up a straight pipe so that the exhaust dumps at the normal location, just without any baffling/restriction whatsoever.

I'd do this. Slashcut the end of the exhaust for additional :madmax:

It's not horrifically loud because you have still have the restriction of the cat. Normally I wouldn't say that you should just cut the mufflers off...it's not horrendously loud, and a longer pipe will quiet it down a little more while maintaining a nice rasp, and if you're still within the legal limits, then hell, go for it. Shouldn't be more than 30-50$ at a local muffler shop to get it done. I don't think you're going to see a huge change in performance, and I'd pick up a jet kit to play around with, more to improve throttle response and feel than anything else :) Count on a hit in gas mileage to get better throttle feel, though...so if MPG is a big concern for you, I'd just get a longer pipe set up and call it good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man. When my dentist sees me next he's definitely going to ask if I grind my teeth in my sleep.

I'm not sure if it's being a fairly new rider, the thrill, or a combination of both. But drat if I don't stop riding to only find I'd been grinding my teeth the whole time.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Christoff posted:

I'm not sure if it's being a fairly new rider, the thrill, or a combination of both. But drat if I don't stop riding to only find I'd been grinding my teeth the whole time.
Make it a point to loosen up. Do it every time you're riding a straight ... shake your head/helmet check, work your jaw up and down, roll your shoulders, crack any joints you can.

I like to also move around on the bike during these times - I'll stand up, sit down, shift my feet, lean from side to side. Whatever it takes to stay comfortable.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Make it a point to loosen up. Do it every time you're riding a straight ... shake your head/helmet check, work your jaw up and down, roll your shoulders, crack any joints you can.

I like to also move around on the bike during these times - I'll stand up, sit down, shift my feet, lean from side to side. Whatever it takes to stay comfortable.

Well, I took the advice from another post not to fight the wind/turbulence and to be a little more giving on where it moves you and such. I've been trying to be a bit loose on the handlebars.

Also, when you're hugging the bike tank. Obviously you have to get pretty low for the front shield to do its purpose. Am I supposed to be looking through the plastic shield? Because it feels like I'm looking through a video game and to be honest the view isn't clear enough and seems like it can be a bit deceiving. If I go any higher though I can definitely feel the air hitting my helmet hard at freeway speeds.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Christoff posted:

If I go any higher though I can definitely feel the air hitting my helmet hard at freeway speeds.

Like Krakkles said just relax and let the wind hit you. You'll get used to it eventually and it wont bother you anymore except when its cold. My bike doesn't have a windshield or fairings and 65mph was overwhelming at first. Now that I'm used to it I have to be careful not to go faster.

Relaxing is important for another reason as well. On long rides you'll seize up and hurt all over really quick if you're tense on the bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Christoff posted:

Also, when you're hugging the bike tank. Obviously you have to get pretty low for the front shield to do its purpose. Am I supposed to be looking through the plastic shield? Because it feels like I'm looking through a video game and to be honest the view isn't clear enough and seems like it can be a bit deceiving. If I go any higher though I can definitely feel the air hitting my helmet hard at freeway speeds.

Dont be that guy. I always laugh when I see dudes in full tuck doing 70 on the freeway. Theres no need for that poo poo, and like you said, it just decreases visibility.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Theres no need for that poo poo

Well, unless it's loving pouring, and then I'll take whatever protection I can get. Sure, I'm wearing weatherproof gear, but water will find a way in, especially on a longer trip, and anything I can do to stay somewhat more comfortable, I'm going to do.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Simkin posted:

Well, unless it's loving pouring, and then I'll take whatever protection I can get. Sure, I'm wearing weatherproof gear, but water will find a way in, especially on a longer trip, and anything I can do to stay somewhat more comfortable, I'm going to do.

Even then, I'm inclined to agree with P_A. My bike is completely unfaired and if you're dressed appropriately, it's not a problem.

Edit: I think I've posted this before but get some powerstretch for wearing under even waterproof gear. It helps IMMENSELY.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Simkin posted:

I'm with you on that, if it's pouring and/or freezing I might tuck even though I have water/windproof gear, or on really long highway blasts just to change posture.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I'll do full tuck on the freeway if I'm facing some annoying headwinds or if I'm just trying to move around or sit in a different position, but not because I'm trying to look cool or be aerodynamic.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

I'll do full tuck on the freeway if I'm facing some annoying headwinds *snip* be aerodynamic.
Uh... when you're trying to get out of a headwind. You are trying to be aerodynamic. I'll do it too, a 30mph headwind when doing 70 can get to you.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Nerobro posted:

Uh... when you're trying to get out of a headwind. You are trying to be aerodynamic. I'll do it too, a 30mph headwind when doing 70 can get to you.

Right, I was kind of thinking of something else, a poor choice of wording there.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I full tuck in school zones.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I stand in school zones.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I roll slow and wave candy in school zones.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I pull stoppies in school zones to entertain the children.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Phy posted:

I stand in school zones.

How else would I jump over the curbs? :confused:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Dont be that guy. I always laugh when I see dudes in full tuck doing 70 on the freeway. Theres no need for that poo poo, and like you said, it just decreases visibility.

Actually, it was my first time doing it last night. Just to try it out. So I wasn't sure about the "proper" way.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I blow out huge clouds of two stroke oil in school zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I redline my engine to get everyone's attention, and then walk my bike home after a valve decides to make sweet, forbidden love to a piston.