Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

BannedForLulz posted:

I've been getting oil changes at the dealer just using their "bulk" oil basic change. If I were to start changing my own oil what is something comparible? Just any 'ol 5W-30 will do?

Yup, 5W-30. Mobil 1 Synth every 3k for me. Call it overkill if you will, but I'm keeping mine forever.

If switching from dino to synth, don't worry about mixing oils. You'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
oh god no not mobil 1 5-30.

seriously, I've seen a lot of spun bearings where the mobil 1 5-30 was one of the leading suspects in the cause. There are even claims that the oil doesn't meet apl/gli/whatever certifications. When I do an oil change, I can tell when it's mobil 1 5-30 because it comes out like water.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 23, 2009

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Anecdotal evidence I've heard is in line with Jamal - at least within the turbo Subaru community. From what I picked up off the LGT boards, Castrol the semi-syn. blend does pretty well, and that's what I've started using as of the last change or two.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

ssjonizuka posted:

Anecdotal evidence I've heard is in line with Jamal - at least within the turbo Subaru community. From what I picked up off the LGT boards, Castrol the semi-syn. blend does pretty well, and that's what I've started using as of the last change or two.

Yeah, I;ve heard plenty of bad stuff about the Mobil 1. I've switched over to Royal Purple, while expensive, I too plan on keeping my car till it falls apart.

This guy I know off Nasioc is parting out his car, and has a lot of goodies for sale that I want..Namely a wingless trunk, 04 tails, 04 bbs goldies, v lmtd lip replica..

I think the only thing im going to get is a set of strut bars..

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008
Thanks for the oil tips guys, looks like I am going to be using Castrol. I had used Mobil 1 5W-30 on my previous boosted Corolla and everything seems to be working fine as far as I can tell. It did start eating some oil though right before I parted it out.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

jamal posted:

oh god no not mobil 1 5-30.

seriously, I've seen a lot of spun bearings where the mobil 1 5-30 was one of the leading suspects in the cause. There are even claims that the oil doesn't meet apl/gli/whatever certifications. When I do an oil change, I can tell when it's mobil 1 5-30 because it comes out like water.

jamal:

Mobil 1 is the most widely used synthetic in the world. As such, it's going to be involved in more spun bearings than any other oil. Show me the claims of it not meeting the American Petroleum Institute's standards for synthetics and I'll show you this:

http://www.thebestsyntheticoil.com/pdf/g1971.pdf

Tested by AmsOil, it came out in the upper half of all the tests save one. Mobil 1 isn't magic (that's Motul, fyi), but all the claims of it being poo poo are purely misplaced frustration.

And "I can tell when it's mobil 1 5-30 because it comes out like water" is completely bogus. All 5W-30 weight oils flow the same. That's the definition of 5W-30.

edit: About Royal Purple - Their "Synerlic" additive works like magic, reducing drag and absorbing rod-to-journal shock of combustion, but above 5000 miles it begins to break down and form micro particulates, generating sludge. This is with extreme use and high milage for a "race-type" oil, but something to be careful of, and happens far earlier than other less-exotic synthetics.

edit 2: spelling

Turbo Car fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 24, 2009

littlehulkster
Oct 28, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Turbo Car posted:

jamal:

Mobil 1 is the most widely used synthetic in the world. As such, it's going to be involved in more spun bearings than any other oil. Show me the claims of it not meeting the American Petroleum Institute's standards for synthetics and I'll show you this:

http://www.thebestsyntheticoil.com/pdf/g1971.pdf

Tested by AmsOil, it came out in the upper half of all the tests save one. Mobil 1 isn't magic (that's Motul, fyi), but all the claims of it being poo poo are purely misplaced frustration.

And "I can tell when it's mobil 1 5-30 because it comes out like water" is completely bogus. All 5W-30 weight oils flow the same. That's the definition of 5W-30.

edit: About Royal Purple - There "Synerlic" additive works like magic, reducing drag and absorbing rod-to-journal stock of combustion, but above 5000 miles it begins to break down and form micro particulates, generating sludge. This is with extreme use and high milage for a "race-type" oil, but something to be careful of, and happens far earlier than other less-exotic synthetics.

If anything, the real winner of that test was the Valvoline SynPower, which did almost as well as the Amsoil and can be had under NAPA branding for cheaper than any of the others tested.

Turbo Car
Sep 17, 2008

littlehulkster posted:

If anything, the real winner of that test was the Valvoline SynPower, which did almost as well as the Amsoil and can be had under NAPA branding for cheaper than any of the others tested.

I agree. The moral of the story is all major brand synthetic is going to exceed the demands of the average street-driven and moderately tracked car. Calling Mobil 1 or Castrol or Valvoline Synth crap is unfounded.

Calling Eneos or Motul crap will earn you a bad look at any racetrack.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
After two months of searching, I think I've finally found the right Legacy GT. But it's located at a dealer 6 hours away.

If anyone here is from Milwaukee, WI, I'll gladly pay you to check it out for me.

We Eat Pasta
Sep 23, 2005

Mmmm... Pasta!
Anyone know what the plan is for 2010 WRX? Subaru has been doing the whole remodel thing every two years, and I'm wondering if that is going to happen again. One thing working against this happening is that the 2008 and 2009 WRX were so different from each other while keeping the same body plan.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

We Eat Pasta posted:

Anyone know what the plan is for 2010 WRX? Subaru has been doing the whole remodel thing every two years, and I'm wondering if that is going to happen again. One thing working against this happening is that the 2008 and 2009 WRX were so different from each other while keeping the same body plan.

I have a feeling that nothing new will come out for a year or three. Aside from maybe a front end job. I think the 2010 STI is going to be a beast. Theres pretty much no reason to get the more expensive sti over a 09 wrx right now. The tranny might be the only real goodie worth the difference.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Lando posted:

The tranny might be the only real goodie worth the difference.

that, and all the other stuff that comes with it. DCCD, helical diffs everywhere, better hubs and wheel bearings, brembos. Then there's the wider track, wider wheels, more aluminum suspension parts, better struts, dual avcs, bigger intercooler etc.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

that, and all the other stuff that comes with it. DCCD, helical diffs everywhere, better hubs and wheel bearings, brembos. Then there's the wider track, wider wheels, more aluminum suspension parts, better struts, dual avcs, bigger intercooler etc.

Very little of which means dick on the road or anything up to 9/10ths. After 9/10's then it begins to matter but gently caress all know how to use a AWD chassis and wont realise a standard WRX is far more capable than they realise anyway and your hardly able to use what a standard WRX offers in the first place. And a DCCD isn't all it's cracked up to be either.

And if your going racing or modifying, you toss most of that poo poo anyway for real racing parts or your chosen modifications. It's really only of true advantage if your in a race or rally situation where the rules don't allow parts swapping and you have to use the standard kit. That's where you also go look at what a SpecC offers anyway.

The six speed however IS quite a difference on the road and highway. It's something you can access and use day to day all the time without requiring to search the outer limits to get the most out of it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The 2009 WRX is pretty well balanced to it's 5-speed gearing. I don't think I'd want a six speed just because it would be an extra shift. The 2001 RS I had could have used a sixth gear because highway cruising near 4000 RPM sucks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
For 2010 I figure they will be focused on the new Legacy. It's possible there will be new transmission options, including a reintroduction of a CVT on the N/A 4-cylinder. Well, that's what some Japanese magazine says. :)

We Eat Pasta
Sep 23, 2005

Mmmm... Pasta!

Mr. Powers posted:

The 2009 WRX is pretty well balanced to it's 5-speed gearing. I don't think I'd want a six speed just because it would be an extra shift. The 2001 RS I had could have used a sixth gear because highway cruising near 4000 RPM sucks.

Doesn't the 2009 WRX cruise a little high in 5th gear?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
The STI v. WRX arguement is all dependant on what you're looking for. Arguing which is better in a general sense seems kind of pointless to me.

Mr. Powers, you wanted a WRX so of course you're going to be happier with it. I for one prefer the 6 speed over the 5. Sure it's more shifting, but I like the control and feel it's nicer for cruising on the highway (imo).

Pasta, I doubt much will change for the 2010 WRX, maybe 2011.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Mat_Drinks posted:

The STI v. WRX arguement is all dependant on what you're looking for. Arguing which is better in a general sense seems kind of pointless to me.

I got both these days so I have a foot in either camp :D

BUT just as a general observation, the STI bits and pieces do make a difference flat out, no denying. But I cant in all honesty say it would be worth it on a road only car, except the six speed. That I do love to bits and it is stronger with the front LSD, which set up right helps the car tighten it's line when you are on the throttle around a corner.

quote:

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

New goon with an '07 STi checking in; glad to find a Subaru love fest ready and waiting for me. I envy you guys with snow to play in - the closest I've gotten is frost on my windows in the morning.

I've done a few SCCA autocross events, but rally is what it's all about. The one rallycross event that was held in my area was a blast and I managed to make it out of there without any damage. I want to do more rally events (I'm looking into Formula RallyX at the moment) but since it's my daily driver, I'd like to minimize my destruction / downtime.

What kind of parts would you guys recommend for sustainability in desert rally events? Speed isn't my concern at the moment - I'm not experienced enough to need more power.

Going back here, as another observation, using your DD for this is a very bad idea. I would strongly urge you to not do it. It's quite normal at our club events for a WRX to be towed away due to something breaking - granted 30 odd WRX's means the chances of a tow away are higher than when one or two WRX's but I simply would never use my DD in the line of constant fire. You will wear it out prematurely, you will eventually break poo poo and dirt will get everywhere. On a car whose only purpose is to get dirty and to take the risk of breaking and being towed home, its not an issue.

In fifteen years, I towed home a RWD / FWD once. In four years, I towed home the VR4 4 times. I'm expecting the STI to be towed home with the same regularity. Granted I do kick the living poo poo out of the race cars but that's what they are for :)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

We Eat Pasta posted:

Doesn't the 2009 WRX cruise a little high in 5th gear?

Not compared to my RS. I am cruising at 3k at 80MPH. In my RS this was just shy of 4k.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Mr. Powers, you wanted a WRX so of course you're going to be happier with it. I for one prefer the 6 speed over the 5. Sure it's more shifting, but I like the control and feel it's nicer for cruising on the highway (imo).

Actually, I wanted an STi. I tried to get a deal on one for a price I was willing to pay for it, but it was no go. I'm not just trying to justify the WRX being better, either. I always thought the six speed would be this great thing to have, but that was when I was driving my RS which had sucky highway gearing. It works out so that I use second to get to the speed I want to be at quickly, third is for cruising fun roads, fourth is for standard back roads and other roads up to about 50, and fifth is for 50+ local roads and highways.

Gear Ratios:
WRX: 5 speed manual; 1st 3.166, 2nd 1.882, 3rd 1.296, 4th 0.972, 5th 0.738, final 3.900
STI: 6 speed manual 1st 3.636, 2nd 2.235, 3rd 1.521, 4th, 1.137,
5th 0.097, 6th 0.756, front final 3.9, rear final 3.545

I have no idea how having the two different final drives works, and I am going to assume that the 5th gear ratio for the STi is 0.971 like past years and not 0.097.

So, basically they have similar highway cruising gearing, and the WRX's might even be a little taller. It really just comes down to preference. I would rather have a smaller number of gears, assuming they have good coverage of the range of the engine, and they did a really good job with that in the WRX (not so much in the RS). From my test drive of the 08 STi, I just felt like there were tons of gears to have to shift through when driving the local roads. I was okay with that because that was before I had the WRX, which I thought was going to have the crappy highway gearing that the RS did.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Add me to the list of people that were going to get an STI next but can't justify the price increase anymore after the upgrades the WRX got. I'm not saying the 10k in increased value isn't there, it's just I'm having trouble coming up with a situation in my over 7 years of WRX ownership where I would have thought to myself "drat, I wish I had a helical front differential" or "crap, these brakes can't overwhelm my street tires."

The power though, the power is something I use on a daily basis.

I am really impressed that a WRX costs the same today in dollar amount as mine did 7 years ago and is better equipped to boot. In reality, they are actually cheaper than ever after inflation.

Switching gears (no pun intended):

The Good: My new pads (Hawk HPS) should be arriving today so I should be able to replace my front pads and hopefully that will make some of the other issues I'm having go away (weird rubbing noises that vary with vehicle speed.) My hopeful theory is their low level is causing them to be loose in the caliper somehow and causing all kinds of funky resonance issues.

The Bad: The roads are likely going to be too lovely by the time I get home tonight (or before I leave for work tomorrow) to bed the brakes in so I may have to wait to install them.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

bull3964 posted:

My new pads (Hawk HPS)

Speaking of which, I believe autohausaz.com is having a sale on them right now, if anyone is interested. autohausaz is a great vendor that I've ordered from several times when I needed misc stuff for my subaru, and their customer service is fantastic.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
can anybody tell me if this is standard towing procedure? :/

also if anybody can recommend a subaru mechanic in Portland that'd be awesome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
hey guys, what's up in this ditch? what's that, you both work at Nike too? cool, coworker buddies.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Needs more explanation. How did everyone get to that side of the road?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
most distance traveled after encountering ice:
- RWD
- FWD
- AWD

:psyduck:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MMD3 posted:

hey guys, what's up in this ditch? what's that, you both work at Nike too? cool, coworker buddies.

I see those Federal Super Steel 535 tires I recommended you replace really saved your butt there :v:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Mr. Powers posted:

Needs more explanation. How did everyone get to that side of the road?

how's this? 90 degree left turn. some guy that lived in the apartment complex walked out and told us that in the 2 years he's lived there he's seen 3 dozen cars go into that ditch. thing is like 4' deep.

kimbo305 posted:

most distance traveled after encountering ice:
- RWD
- FWD
- AWD

:psyduck:

seriously, I spent 4 winters in Michigan driving a 240sx and never went off the road once :psyduck: indeed.

8ender posted:

I see those Federal Super Steel 535 tires I recommended you replace really saved your butt there :v:

:cry:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Hey, what percentage tint is that? Can you take some shots of it? I need to get my windows tinted because I don't like it how people can see everything in my car. DId you get it and if so what did it cost?

Sucks you went off the road. We had snow/ice in Raleigh last week and the 9-2 beasted it

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

MMD3 posted:

Please tell me you were able to redeem yourself and you drove out of that ditch while going, "I dont think I'll be needing a tow after all."

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Ribsauce posted:

Hey, what percentage tint is that? Can you take some shots of it? I need to get my windows tinted because I don't like it how people can see everything in my car. DId you get it and if so what did it cost?

Sucks you went off the road. We had snow/ice in Raleigh last week and the 9-2 beasted it

it's 15 or 20, I can't remember which, I wanted to go with 25 but they didn't have it in the brand I wanted (Lumar) so I had to either go with 35 or 20(?)

BannedForLulz posted:

Please tell me you were able to redeem yourself and you drove out of that ditch while going, "I dont think I'll be needing a tow after all."

almost! I think I probably could have if not for clearance, it was a pretty steep embankment. I probably could have driven up the right side but there was nowhere to go from there, tree in the way. The tow driver had me pull forward a few feet to reposition and I did fine until I felt myself rocking on two opposing wheels (front left and rear right) straddling the ditch.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 28, 2009

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
MMD3, I remember everyone saying to ditch the crappy tires... :) At least it looks like there wasn't really any major damage, thank god.

Also, holy poo poo that must have been an interesting 4 seconds, that's a huuuuge ditch.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 28, 2009

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
So...I'm back from the miata megathread, when I realized I need more than 2 seats and about two cubic feet of room as a post-grad.

I was about to purchase an '08 WRX, but have been reading about the major upgrades to the '09 WRX. Is it worth paying the premium and splurging on the '09?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Just Another XY posted:

So...I'm back from the miata megathread, when I realized I need more than 2 seats and about two cubic feet of room as a post-grad.

I was about to purchase an '08 WRX, but have been reading about the major upgrades to the '09 WRX. Is it worth paying the premium and splurging on the '09?

If you can afford it, yes.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Conversely, if I were to purchase an '08 wrx, and wish to get it up to par with an '09's performance, what would I need to spend/buy?

Sorry, this vroom vroom car thing is really new to me, I've only ever come from a 2001 Civic with about 2 horsepower.

VROOMVROOM

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

Just Another XY posted:

Conversely, if I were to purchase an '08 wrx, and wish to get it up to par with an '09's performance, what would I need to spend/buy?

Sorry, this vroom vroom car thing is really new to me, I've only ever come from a 2001 Civic with about 2 horsepower.

VROOMVROOM

I came from an 03 Corolla with a slushbox. It doesnt matter if you get the slower 08, it'll feel plenty fast for you. As long as you wont get used to the speed and have it feel "slow" within a few weeks I would probably just grab an 08.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Just Another XY posted:

VROOMVROOM

A VF52 (09 turbo) and a good tune. Add a downpipe and you're at around 280whp on pump gas for less than $2000. A stock 08 sti makes 230whp on our dyno, for comparison.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 28, 2009

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Cat Terrist posted:

Going back here, as another observation, using your DD for this is a very bad idea. I would strongly urge you to not do it. It's quite normal at our club events for a WRX to be towed away due to something breaking - granted 30 odd WRX's means the chances of a tow away are higher than when one or two WRX's but I simply would never use my DD in the line of constant fire. You will wear it out prematurely, you will eventually break poo poo and dirt will get everywhere. On a car whose only purpose is to get dirty and to take the risk of breaking and being towed home, its not an issue.
Thanks for the differing viewpoint. To be frank, I won't be going as hard or as often as most people probably do. Also, I've got a motorcycle and live in a pretty temperate climate, so I'm not totally screwed if my car's out a few days for repairs. One of my primary reasons for getting an STI was the potential for rallycross events - the risks don't appear to outweigh the fun.

My story might change the first time I break something really expensive, though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

jamal posted:

A VF52 (09 turbo) and a good tune. Add a downpipe and you're at around 280whp on pump gas for less than $2000. A stock 08 sti makes 230whp on our dyno, for comparison.

Aren't there suspension differences also?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah the struts springs and swaybars are all a bit stiffer. And it has summer tires instead of the RE92s. So maybe you are better off going with the 09, unless you were going to replace all that stuff anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you want what the '09 offers, the only way it makes any sense to buy an '08 instead is if you plan to mod the '09. You'll start off with a slightly worse baseline, but if you're just going to completely replace the engine and start doing turbo upgrades anyway, then the '09 only really gives you some nicer looks (slightly).