Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

ZombiePeanut posted:

Tubes can break (from impacts and such) and wear out, while transistors do not.

If you treat the amp with care, you'll probably be fine-that SVT I mentioned earlier has been running the same power tubes for 15+ years.

And, should an output transistor fry (not unheard of), it's a bit harder to replace than a tube, especially if you're out on tour. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone know anything about Scherl and Roth uprights? There's a used one for sale near here for $500.

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.
For Christmas I bought myself a MiM P-Bass & an Acoustic B20 amp. I'm a complete rookie to bass, and have been reading and doing the examples at http://www.studybass.com. So far so good.

My question is that I'm getting some friction & fuzz when I play around on the frets above the 12th fret. What is a 'fair' price to expect from a local shop to have it properly setup and honed for maximum Thunder?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Fair price should be about 50 bucks, give or take a ten. It really depends on the bass itself. An MIM P can be very sturdy and reliable as hell, but I've seen a few that need a bit of setup. I'd also suggest getting some new strings on the bass (before or during the setup), but be careful when it comes to gauges.

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.

Schatten posted:

The knobs have a set screw. Should be a small flathead. Loosen, adjust in the right direction, then tighten. No need for replacements.

Found it, thanks. It's a Tiny allen screw on mine though... not sure if that's a MiM thing or a 2007 thing...

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I restrung a bass for the first time last night (I'm a guitar player who has been dipping into bass over the past couple of years) and I have to wonder why I've never seen bass-style tuners (where you stick the string end down into the hole) on a guitar? They are so easy, and I love not having the bare string end poking out!

Also I have a couple of questions about bass hardware. I have an SX (Rondo) P-J bass I bought a few years ago. I really like the way that it looks, and the neck plays pretty nicely, although the hardware is pretty lovely. I am looking for some relatively inexpensive pickups to swap in; are EMG Selects decent? Is there anything else (preferably in a ~$50-75 price range for the set) that I should look at?

Lastly, does anybody know where I could find a black bass nut? It's not essential, but right now the bass has all-black hardware and I really like that look.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I've had EMG selects in the past, but cannot recall how they sound. I eventually moved up to an EMG JJ set, which I really loved before moving on.

There's a huge group of SX lovers over at talkbass.com, and recommended upgrades too. I'd suggest describing what you want to hear out of the bass and get recommendations that way.

Regarding stringing up the bass, just make sure you are winding down on the peg itself, so it brings tension from the tuner to the top nut. Every now and then I see someone who doesn't do this and there is a resulting buzz effect on the frets.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

h_double posted:

I restrung a bass for the first time last night (I'm a guitar player who has been dipping into bass over the past couple of years) and I have to wonder why I've never seen bass-style tuners (where you stick the string end down into the hole) on a guitar? They are so easy, and I love not having the bare string end poking out!

Also I have a couple of questions about bass hardware. I have an SX (Rondo) P-J bass I bought a few years ago. I really like the way that it looks, and the neck plays pretty nicely, although the hardware is pretty lovely. I am looking for some relatively inexpensive pickups to swap in; are EMG Selects decent? Is there anything else (preferably in a ~$50-75 price range for the set) that I should look at?

Lastly, does anybody know where I could find a black bass nut? It's not essential, but right now the bass has all-black hardware and I really like that look.

You did cut the string tips to length first though, right? As for a black nut, I'd check at https://www.stewmac.com

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

You did cut the string tips to length first though, right? As for a black nut, I'd check at https://www.stewmac.com
I've read that by doing that it cuts the life of the string down considerably. I dunno if it's true or not.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Schatten posted:

Regarding stringing up the bass, just make sure you are winding down on the peg itself, so it brings tension from the tuner to the top nut. Every now and then I see someone who doesn't do this and there is a resulting buzz effect on the frets.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "winding down on the peg itself"; you mean so that the string windings go from the top of the peg down towards the headstock? I did that, and also kept a bit of tension on the string above the nut while I was winding it.

Also I did trim the strings down to size before putting them on.

I found a pre-slotted black bass nut on guitarpartsdepot, and also thanks for the pointer to talkbass; I'll definitely spend some time reading on there.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

scuz posted:

I've read that by doing that it cuts the life of the string down considerably. I dunno if it's true or not.

How can trimming the string lower its life? Bass strings hardly ever break, and just go "bad" because they get stretched out and full of gunk.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

DrChu posted:

How can trimming the string lower its life? Bass strings hardly ever break, and just go "bad" because they get stretched out and full of gunk.

I was once told that it's a good idea to crimp a sharp bend in a wound guitar string before you trim it, so that the core of the string won't slip out through the winding.

I don't know how true it is, but I've always done it anyway just because it makes it slightly less likely to get poked by stray string ends.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

h_double posted:

I was once told that it's a good idea to crimp a sharp bend in a wound guitar string before you trim it, so that the core of the string won't slip out through the winding.

This doesn't really happen anymore unless you buy reaaaally lovely strings. It was much more common back when string construction wasn't quite as good or consistent as it is now.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Hahaha not at all.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for straightening that out :). I didn't think that stupid book (EADG4) was telling the truth.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Crimping strings is useful for round core bass strings, and most string manufacturers recommend this for their round core lines.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

DrChu posted:

Bass strings hardly ever break, and just go "bad" because they get stretched out and full of gunk.

And if you use flatwounds that just makes them even better. :unsmith:

I Read Kotaku!
Dec 13, 2004

by The Finn
Alright so after playing my friend's bass with an actual amp (!!!) and enjoying the hell out of myself I am seriously considering buying a bass now. I'm looking at a few used options right now and I'd like to get some opinions on a few before I spend any money. Mostly what I'm interested in playing is 80's new wavey kind of stuff (Oingo Boingo, Talking Heads) and bluesy classic rock stuff (Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer kind of crap). Not really interested in anything heavy.

I found a used Stu Hamm bass for really loving cheap, and while Stu Hamm is cool I guess does anyone know if it's actually a good bass? I've heard generally bad things about artist signature everything but I haven't heard much about this bass at all.

There's also this Steinberger Spirit headless thing that I'm only considering because it's dirt cheap from all the scratches and stuff on it. It looks weird but I kind of like it. Since I generally don't know poo poo about gently caress I don't know if it would be right for what I want to play.

The last one I was wondering about was a Jay Turser violin bass. From what I've read it's supposed to be one of the better violin basses for the money. I've heard that violin basses are allegedly limited in the kind of sound you can get, but I'm only looking at it because I'm very cheap and so is the price.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Ferrous Wheel posted:

And if you use flatwounds that just makes them even better. :unsmith:

Do flatwounds still get gunky? I figured that was a roundwound phenomenon.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

I Read Kotaku! posted:

Alright so after playing my friend's bass with an actual amp (!!!) and enjoying the hell out of myself I am seriously considering buying a bass now. I'm looking at a few used options right now and I'd like to get some opinions on a few before I spend any money. Mostly what I'm interested in playing is 80's new wavey kind of stuff (Oingo Boingo, Talking Heads) and bluesy classic rock stuff (Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer kind of crap). Not really interested in anything heavy.

I found a used Stu Hamm bass for really loving cheap, and while Stu Hamm is cool I guess does anyone know if it's actually a good bass? I've heard generally bad things about artist signature everything but I haven't heard much about this bass at all.

There's also this Steinberger Spirit headless thing that I'm only considering because it's dirt cheap from all the scratches and stuff on it. It looks weird but I kind of like it. Since I generally don't know poo poo about gently caress I don't know if it would be right for what I want to play.

The last one I was wondering about was a Jay Turser violin bass. From what I've read it's supposed to be one of the better violin basses for the money. I've heard that violin basses are allegedly limited in the kind of sound you can get, but I'm only looking at it because I'm very cheap and so is the price.
It sounds like you're just looking for something inexpensive. F5 this site every 10 minutes or so, and look back through the first 5 pages: clicky. You'll find anything you'd ever want there, it's all used and in good condition.

What sort of bass does your friend have? What did/didn't you like about it?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I Read Kotaku! posted:

Is the Stu Hamm an Urge or Urge II? The Urges were medium scale (32") and just had two jazz pickups, the Urge II are regular scale (34") and have two jazz pickups with a precision in-between. They are decent (but kinda ugly) basses, and the Urge II is really flexible with its pickup options.

The Steinberger would be ok for the 80s stuff, not so much the bluesy. The violin bass would be the opposite.

If you want a cheap versatile beginner bass find a used MIM Jazz Bass.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

Is the Stu Hamm an Urge or Urge II? The Urges were medium scale (32") and just had two jazz pickups, the Urge II are regular scale (34") and have two jazz pickups with a precision in-between. They are decent (but kinda ugly) basses, and the Urge II is really flexible with its pickup options.
Huh, I always thought the original Urge was also available in a JPJ confg.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Scarf posted:

You recall correctly. The USA version of the original had the JPJ configuration-there was also an MIM model that had just the J-style pickups.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Scarf posted:

Yeah I guess you're right. It was only last year that I finally saw someone in real life that had an Urge II, and I've only recently seen a picture of an Urge I (it was a JJ model), they aren't a very popular model.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

82Daion posted:

You recall correctly. The USA version of the original had the JPJ configuration-there was also an MIM model that had just the J-style pickups.

Ah, thanks for the enlightenment.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
So, bass dudes [I mistyped and put badd dudes just now :c00l:], thanks again for this thread. I tried to play guitar and piano as a kid and gave up on both but I got a bass in July or so based on the advice in here and I love it so far, I'm taking lessons and I can really see myself improving. Thanks again y'all.

My question is, if you sat down with your bass to come up with a chord progression how would you do it? I asked the guy who teaches me and he gave me one answer but I'm still curious how other people do it, I guess. I'm really bad at chord progressions in general but I'm improving at bass and can play it way better than a keyboard at this point so ideally I'd be able to come up with something on the bass and then translate it into a chord progression if that makes sense.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
As much as I hate to say it, coming up with a chord progression is easier on other instruments. You could find a good progression of root notes, but anything fancier like 7th and 9th chords and such aren't really going to be playable on a bass (unless you play higher up on the fretboard, anyways, so the notes won't be all muddy)
If you're just looking for a good progression of notes, though, just feel around and see what sounds good together. Make a simple rhythm, and find 3-4 notes that progress well in that rhythm, changing the note you're playing every bar.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

dissin department posted:

As much as I hate to say it, coming up with a chord progression is easier on other instruments. You could find a good progression of root notes, but anything fancier like 7th and 9th chords and such aren't really going to be playable on a bass (unless you play higher up on the fretboard, anyways, so the notes won't be all muddy)
If you're just looking for a good progression of notes, though, just feel around and see what sounds good together. Make a simple rhythm, and find 3-4 notes that progress well in that rhythm, changing the note you're playing every bar.
This is the reason that I'm really tempted to get some cheapo beater guitar, because it gets really annoying to come up with a progression of roots that sound good, and then have to bug an actual guitarist with "hey tell me if this sounds good as chords too".

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Moe_Rahn posted:

This is the reason that I'm really tempted to get some cheapo beater guitar, because it gets really annoying to come up with a progression of roots that sound good, and then have to bug an actual guitarist with "hey tell me if this sounds good as chords too".

You could always pick up guitar pro or another similar program and just stick the chords in yourself, that's what I find myself doing a lot.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Does anyone have any suggestions for good strings for slap bass primarily for playing funk? Mine are getting kind of grungy and I am seeking new ones!

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

I r Pat posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for good strings for slap bass primarily for playing funk? Mine are getting kind of grungy and I am seeking new ones!

DR Lo-Riders. Great high end for slapping and popping but also great deep tones for that funky feel.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Not strictly a bass question, but I'll toss it here rather than making separate topic.

My quartz metronome is really boring sounding, and since I'm generally practicing next to my desktop computer I may as well have some fun and practice with some drum loops. However, a quick search for drum software on Google has only netted me some freeware with mediocre samples and horrendous interfaces.

Unlike amp modellers which are pretty limited, it looks like these drum synths are a dime a dozen, so I have no idea which ones are good. Any recommendations?

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Plastic Snake posted:

DR Lo-Riders. Great high end for slapping and popping but also great deep tones for that funky feel.

Thanks buddy. I will pick those up next time I'm at GC!

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I've been playing about 2 weeks and I've sort of hit my first roadblock trying to do these 12 bar blues that my book is teaching me. Would I be better off maybe picking up a different book and going at different things for a while and coming back to this later, or should I just play it shoddily for the next few days until it (maybe) sounds better.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Keep at it if you're feeling persistent, or do something else. In my experience, it doesn't matter much.

A friend of mine told me something that made a lot of sense given my own learning experience: Learning an instrument seems to be about plateaus. You'll practice, get better, practice, get better, practice, and suddenly you hit a wall. Whether you change your exercises or keep at it doesn't make much of a difference, you just can't get this one thing right. The only thing to it is to keep on practicing and not give up, even if it feels like wasted time. Then, one day, you pick up your guitar and that hurdle is gone.

Everyone hits those, and they get longer to overcome as you get better. The only thing talent does is make those plateaus shorter. ;)

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Jan posted:

Keep at it if you're feeling persistent, or do something else. In my experience, it doesn't matter much.

A friend of mine told me something that made a lot of sense given my own learning experience: Learning an instrument seems to be about plateaus. You'll practice, get better, practice, get better, practice, and suddenly you hit a wall. Whether you change your exercises or keep at it doesn't make much of a difference, you just can't get this one thing right. The only thing to it is to keep on practicing and not give up, even if it feels like wasted time. Then, one day, you pick up your guitar and that hurdle is gone.

Everyone hits those, and they get longer to overcome as you get better. The only thing talent does is make those plateaus shorter. ;)

This is completely true. When you're first learning an instrument, it feels amazing to be able to go back to songs that ruined your poo poo before and just play them competently and consistently without even trying. However, this only happens if you practice regularly, so just keep working at it and you'll get there.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
In need of helps.

Long story short I would like to ask if anyone could reccomend a good program *free or otherwise* that would allow me to write sheet music and tablature. Alternate features such as allowing me to adjust things like tempo and which clef I compose on for the sake of harmony and melody would also be awesome.

and if it helps I play bass

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Akur0 posted:

and if it helps I play bass

Very astute.

Guitar Pro is a wonderful program that does exactly what you want it to. It's $60 and there's a demo version so you can see how boffo it is. There are tons of guitar pro tabs out there, too.

Alternatively, if you don't feel like paying for Guitar Pro, there's another program called Power Tab. It's pretty popular, but not as good.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

MancXVI posted:

Very astute.
:iamafag:

MancXVI posted:

Guitar Pro is a wonderful program that does exactly what you want it to. It's $60 and there's a demo version so you can see how boffo it is. There are tons of guitar pro tabs out there, too.

Oh seriously? I acctually used a demo way back when to work tablatures but it started asking for money and I was broke at the time.

Thanks alot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
I've noticed my fretting hand is slow and I'm having trouble using two fingers to play with. Anybody have some exercises or techniques to help me play faster?