Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Some old PC game I got as a birthday gift at least 8-9 years ago. It was a medieval setting with 4 heroes that you eventually gathered and could play as, while the three others were NPC controlled until you switched. There was a swordsman, an archer, a wizard, and a barbarian. It was an over head view, I remember you always started as the swordsman and he had like... bags of explosive powder he could throw.

I really want to say the name was some version of the word "Quest" but I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DethklokworkOrange posted:

There was this game I had for the original Playstation. I don't remember very much about it, but for some reason I've been trying to remember the name. I THINK it was a fixed-path platformer game with a little more depth than a side-scroller. It had a very industrial feel to it. I think you had a robotic arm weapon (???) or something that you collected upgrades for. This has been driving me crazy.

It could be One.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Bieeardo posted:

It could be One.

Nope, that's not it. But you're definitely in the right area. Thanks for trying. I know my description didn't leave much to work with.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

DethklokworkOrange posted:

There was this game I had for the original Playstation. I don't remember very much about it, but for some reason I've been trying to remember the name. I THINK it was a fixed-path platformer game with a little more depth than a side-scroller. It had a very industrial feel to it. I think you had a robotic arm weapon (???) or something that you collected upgrades for. This has been driving me crazy.

Wild 9, maybe? It's a side-scroller, and you have this cool arm you can grab and slam stuff with.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Wild 9, maybe? It's a side-scroller, and you have this cool arm you can grab and slam stuff with.

YES! That's the one! Thanks a lot. My mind is now free.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Sega Genesis game, it was a side scrolling action RPG and you could pick between I think 3 different characters - a human warrior dude, a mage who I think was a chick and like a dwarf guy. It was completely flat, not isometric like Golden Axe (which sounds very similar I admit but this was not the same series at all). I remember it was very darkly colored and I just thought it was really cool when I was a kid, but I don't remember much else about it or even if I ever got very far in it. I recall that it was pretty hard, you only got 1 life or something.

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.
There was this game I played as a kid in school. This would've been in 1996 (in New Zealand). The game was on the classroom computer (or mac?), and because of that may have been an educational game, possibly about the environment. If so, it was aimed at kids around 9 or so.

The game was sort of a point and click adventure I think. There wasn't a character on screen as far as I remember. The screens may have been photographs, or at least pre-rendered backgrounds where you could choose a direction to go, leading you to another photo. There was some animation for objects or creatures because I remember things moving in the screens. It was set in a forest for at least part of the game. One screen had a building in it. I think you had a guide or some kind that was an owl, or perhaps I just saw an owl in the game.

It had at least two separate areas, because I remember advancing from the first set of screens and being really excited.

Hopefully someone else has played this and can help me out.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

life of lemons posted:

There was this game I played as a kid in school. This would've been in 1996 (in New Zealand). The game was on the classroom computer (or mac?), and because of that may have been an educational game, possibly about the environment. If so, it was aimed at kids around 9 or so.

The game was sort of a point and click adventure I think. There wasn't a character on screen as far as I remember. The screens may have been photographs, or at least pre-rendered backgrounds where you could choose a direction to go, leading you to another photo. There was some animation for objects or creatures because I remember things moving in the screens. It was set in a forest for at least part of the game. One screen had a building in it. I think you had a guide or some kind that was an owl, or perhaps I just saw an owl in the game.

It had at least two separate areas, because I remember advancing from the first set of screens and being really excited.

Hopefully someone else has played this and can help me out.

That description could apply to practically any Myst clone out there--any chance you could remember any more details? Or was it Myst for that matter?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Trykt posted:

Sega Genesis game, it was a side scrolling action RPG and you could pick between I think 3 different characters - a human warrior dude, a mage who I think was a chick and like a dwarf guy. It was completely flat, not isometric like Golden Axe (which sounds very similar I admit but this was not the same series at all). I remember it was very darkly colored and I just thought it was really cool when I was a kid, but I don't remember much else about it or even if I ever got very far in it. I recall that it was pretty hard, you only got 1 life or something.

I don't think this is the Genesis version of Cadash (that only had two characters, I believe), but it sounds very similar.

Jacquismo
Dec 1, 2003
~~HEY GUYS I'M ON THE RHINOCEROS I MEAN INTERNET~~

Trykt posted:

Blades of Vengeance?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

N64 game, side scrolling action. Wacky Japanese art and your grandfather (?) gets kidnapped right off the bat and you have to go rescue him. You had a little rocket booster thing and just ran through the levels punching and throwing bad guys. You could pick up weapons and somehow combine them to make more awesome weapons.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Clanpot Shake posted:

N64 game, side scrolling action. Wacky Japanese art and your grandfather (?) gets kidnapped right off the bat and you have to go rescue him. You had a little rocket booster thing and just ran through the levels punching and throwing bad guys. You could pick up weapons and somehow combine them to make more awesome weapons.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It may be Mischief Makers.

Western Backstroke
Oct 19, 2008

Be Cool Like Carl
I think this was released in 2002 and I never played it but I heard about it from PvP. It had to do with steampunk and I remember pictures of steam-jetpack men and floating, steam-powered islands. I think it might've been an MMORPG.

If anyone remembers the comic that referenced it, the punchline was, in describing what "steampunk" was, "it's like 'The Wild Wild West, only it doesn't suck'" (if that helps).

I know it's not a lot to go on but it's been driving me crazy...

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Just thought of one. This was an arcade game that I played a ROM of back in 2003. It was a 2D fighter with anime graphics that wasn't part of any series that I know of. It was very stylish, and I'm almost certain there was a character named Cool. Cool might have been wearing a white button-down shirt and have had a haircut that made him look like a male model, or that might have been another character. I remember thinking the characters were unusually well-dressed. I want to say there was a typewriter font used, and the whole atmosphere of the thing was anime film noir, but that might be wrong.

I'd date it around 1997 or more recent, as it looked at least as good as Street Fighter 3.

RespectShmaa
Jun 26, 2007

hello boi

Bieeardo posted:

I'm almost certain that's Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall.

Yes! That is it. Thank you, that has been driving me crazy for so long.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rollersnake posted:

Just thought of one. This was an arcade game that I played a ROM of back in 2003. It was a 2D fighter with anime graphics that wasn't part of any series that I know of. It was very stylish, and I'm almost certain there was a character named Cool. Cool might have been wearing a white button-down shirt and have had a haircut that made him look like a male model, or that might have been another character. I remember thinking the characters were unusually well-dressed. I want to say there was a typewriter font used, and the whole atmosphere of the thing was anime film noir, but that might be wrong.

I'd date it around 1997 or more recent, as it looked at least as good as Street Fighter 3.

Wild guess but was it Martial Masters? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaXlmYDiHw

Edit: Nope I'm wrong, you are thinking of Daraku Tenshi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYl1N_TH-ic
Well that video is kind of hosed up anyway but you get the idea.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 24, 2009

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Edit: Nope I'm wrong, you are thinking of Daraku Tenshi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYl1N_TH-ic
Well that video is kind of hosed up anyway but you get the idea.

I think this is it! Thanks.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
I've got one. It was an arcade game, I played it probably 6 or 7 years ago. Standard side-scrolling beat 'em up, mostly involving punching zombies. The characters were a girl, a dude with a trench coat who had a psychic crystal thing, and a big dude. There super moves were like full-screen summoning sequences. I think the crystal dude made ice everywhere?

I am pretty sure most of the zombies exploded a little when you killed them. Oh, and the dude threw off his coat at the beginning of each level, for no apparent reason.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

I've been trying to remember the name of an old NES (maybe SNES) game that involved piloting a mining spaceship into asteroids and other planetoids to retrieve via tractor beam or grappling hook various crystals, salvageable junk, and upgrades for your ship. The whole while you were battling gravity and maybe the occasional monster.

It's been killing me for a few days now...

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Urban Achiever posted:

I've been trying to remember the name of an old NES (maybe SNES) game that involved piloting a mining spaceship into asteroids and other planetoids to retrieve via tractor beam or grappling hook various crystals, salvageable junk, and upgrades for your ship. The whole while you were battling gravity and maybe the occasional monster.

It's been killing me for a few days now...
Sounds like Solar Jetman to me.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

A third person fantasy game for the PC, the title had something to do with masks. Like, "blah blah mask" or "mask blah blah" not entirely sure which.

I remember it was really, really dark, and I never got further than playing it for a few minutes so I can't really say anything else.

edit: This was a long, long, LONG time ago. Around the time Half-Life came out.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Sylphosaurus posted:

Sounds like Solar Jetman to me.

Well done! And thank you...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dirty Job posted:

A third person fantasy game for the PC, the title had something to do with masks. Like, "blah blah mask" or "mask blah blah" not entirely sure which.

I remember it was really, really dark, and I never got further than playing it for a few minutes so I can't really say anything else.

edit: This was a long, long, LONG time ago. Around the time Half-Life came out.

Was it King's Quest: Mask of Eternity?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

LizardBeam posted:

I've got one. It was an arcade game, I played it probably 6 or 7 years ago. Standard side-scrolling beat 'em up, mostly involving punching zombies. The characters were a girl, a dude with a trench coat who had a psychic crystal thing, and a big dude. There super moves were like full-screen summoning sequences. I think the crystal dude made ice everywhere?

I am pretty sure most of the zombies exploded a little when you killed them. Oh, and the dude threw off his coat at the beginning of each level, for no apparent reason.

Night Slashers. Be sure to get the Japanese version, the rest are censored.

Treylis
Jul 8, 2004

As an American, I realize that my primary advantage lies in being as well-armed as possible at all times.
I played a game at an arcade in the nineties that involved a sequence with a top-down solarsystem view where you would move your ship around to pick various planets, and then once one was selected it would switch to a side-scrolling shooter with lots of little tiny guys walking around you could gib--I think they were reptilian.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Treylis posted:

I played a game at an arcade in the nineties that involved a sequence with a top-down solarsystem view where you would move your ship around to pick various planets, and then once one was selected it would switch to a side-scrolling shooter with lots of little tiny guys walking around you could gib--I think they were reptilian.

Sounds like Strike Force to me. Haven't found any better screenshots, but you'd fly between planets via overhead, then blow away all the little reptile guys via sidecrolling.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp
Alright I got a doozy of one for you.

Game I played on my classes apple in first grade. I know that the game had to be out by 1990, but I have no real idea how much older it could be. You played as some kind of alien and the game decided on a princess (?) alien thing to rescume. The major discernible features were at the start the game showed a three screen scene of your little UFO flying over water and then landed. It was a 3/4 overhead perspective (well as good as that hardware could do) and in the middle of the map running horizontally there was a river and two of the screens with the river had bridges. One of the bridges would break and if you didn't jump off it would carry you to the right and you would go down a waterfall. At the south end of the map there was a castle and I want to say a big purple monster thing. (but not 100% sure on that). This has been driving me mad for well over a decade.

Treylis
Jul 8, 2004

As an American, I realize that my primary advantage lies in being as well-armed as possible at all times.

Kammat posted:

Sounds like Strike Force to me. Haven't found any better screenshots, but you'd fly between planets via overhead, then blow away all the little reptile guys via sidecrolling.

Sweet, yeah, I remember that title screen and the bit about humans dangling off your ship now too.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
late 90s or early 2000s rts, all units were sailboats of some kind, only thing on land was your buildings. the demo was really hard (though i was like 10 at the time so...). teams separated by different color sails i think, and something about capturing villages.

sorry for beeing so vague

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Mordieth posted:

late 90s or early 2000s rts, all units were sailboats of some kind, only thing on land was your buildings. the demo was really hard (though i was like 10 at the time so...). teams separated by different color sails i think, and something about capturing villages.

Anno 1602 / 1602 AD? I'm not sure there's any capturing (though there is warfare), but sounds right other than that - the only units you actually control are the ships, the townsfolk are automated.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
no, thats not it, theres no real city building involved, more like a red alert on water kind of thing

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I remember playing some game as a kid where I was underwater with a bunch of cartoon fish and it was a point and click adventure. The plot was a mystery or something, I'm pretty sure I remember playing as the detective fish. I think the main bad guy was a shark too but I wouldn't swear to that. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

edit: vvvvvvvvv yeah that's it, sweet

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 25, 2009

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!
One of the Freddi Fish games, probably.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
PC, freeware.
You're a spaceship without any weapons, so you have to redirect the enemies missiles to them. It's from the same maker as the other game i can't remember the name off. You're a spaceship and you fight boss battle after boss battle and the boss adapts to your strategies.

*sigh* Never mind. Ray-hound, by the same guy who made Warning Forever.

shelper fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 26, 2009

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Korean MMMORPG. There were different British and US versions with different names and some differences. The first world had crabs and you started in a city surrounded by shallow water. There was a soccer field where you could kill other players. There was an island where you'd fight high-level monsters.

You could travel to a fiery hell world with demons and hard dungeons to the north and south. There were big devil monsters with chainguns that would kill you guarding the dungeons. There was a grassy level with really tough dinosaurs and you could kill other players in it. The devs hyped up a big dragon killing event, but the servers lagged out and half the players couldn't see the dragon.

There were 4 classes. Humans with energy weapons, big melee dudes, wizards and small green fairyelfs. You could put gems in guns to make them more powerful.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 26, 2009

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I hope someone here can help me, it's been driving me insane for years.

PC game, DOS, circa 93-95, possibly earlier.

It was a sidescroller puzzle game (I think), you controlled chromed robots, which at a keypress would change into other robots (you had like 4 robots aspects you could change into). One of those had tracks instead of legs and shot roockets from it's eye socket.

The objective was to get to the next level I guess. You sometimes had to blow up other robots in your path.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Thank God I actually browsed for this thread before starting a new one. I've got a game that I can't find the name of, not even after browsing a list of 200 from the mobygames site. UGH.

There was a futuristic racing game for the Playstation in which your vehicle was tethered to an electric wire that ran along the entire course of the map. You basically controlled forward thrust and circular rotation around the wire. So you didn't really steer but rather aimed yourself so your vehicle didn't hit other vehicles, obstacles, or to get a good aim to shoot some weapon you have.

The thing I remember most about the game (other than having a great sense of speed) is that there was some cheat that would unlock a cow as the vehicle. And it was something like twice as fast as the fastest vehicle in the whole game. It was just ridiculous.

Please, name that game!

e: VVVVV Thank you! I glanced at the mobygames entry too quickly. Ugh.

Oh and while we're at it, once again I've forgotten the name of a futuristic basketball-like Playstation game in which there was a disc in the middle of the court that players threw the ball into (and it would swing around the outside of the disc before throwing it back out onto the court) and the defense could hit a button to close shutters on the side of the disc to prevent the ball from going in.

Name that game too!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 26, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

CyberSpeed

Also, up, left, down, up, left, down, right, left, down, right, square, X, circle.

roushimsx
Dec 1, 2002

DaveKap posted:

Oh and while we're at it, once again I've forgotten the name of a futuristic basketball-like Playstation game in which there was a disc in the middle of the court that players threw the ball into (and it would swing around the outside of the disc before throwing it back out onto the court) and the defense could hit a button to close shutters on the side of the disc to prevent the ball from going in.

Possibly Professional Underground League of Pain, but I haven't played it in ~a decade and I don't really remember the shutters aspect. One of those games I picked up on a whim because, hey, it looked like Speedball or Bill Lamber's Combat Basketball with way more awesome graphics.

Yea. Not so much.

edit - Oh hey, it was called "Riot" in Europe and on PC.

roushimsx fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Have you looked at Inindo: Way of the Ninja? That's the only SNES game that I can think of that fits the description.

Way late, but wow, this is it. Gonna have to find and play this poo poo now. :D

• Locked thread