Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

EggsofSteel posted:

I've just started Final Fantasy XII thanks to everyone here loving it, and I was wondering if you guys had any tips for it.

For example, are there any party members who get removed halfway through the game and I shouldn't spend LP on? Any other general tips or tricks would be awesome.

It'll be obvious who's coming and going, since they'll be labeled GUEST in the menu. I mean, you may lose some characters for a while, but they'll come back.

Also, remember that the game's not about Vaan or Penelo at all. It's all about Basch, Balthier, and Fran. :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

EggsofSteel posted:

I've just started Final Fantasy XII thanks to everyone here loving it, and I was wondering if you guys had any tips for it.

For example, are there any party members who get removed halfway through the game and I shouldn't spend LP on? Any other general tips or tricks would be awesome.

There will be temporary party members, but they do not accumulate LP and are not customizable. As far as LP goes, there is an item you can buy about 1/3rd of the way through the game that doubles the amount of LP your characters get from battles. I bought one for each character and long before the end of the game I had enough LP to buy out the entire board (other than weapons/armor I didn't use for that character)

The top half of the board is excellent for magic and buffs that are always on (HP +500, 10% less time to attack, etc) so I would concentrate on those as soon as you have all the Quickenings and the license for the best armor/weapon you have for each character. Quickenings double and then triple your MP, so even if you don't plan on relying on them, buy them first.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

w00tles for poodles posted:

Simcity 4
- get the expansion and seriously consider getting at least the NAM addon and a

To clarify this isnt a "get the expansion it makes the experience better" its a "get the expansion because transport is actually loving broken without it" which I wish I knew when I bought the game and skimped on the extra £5 it would have been to get both.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

EggsofSteel posted:

Guests also steal your experience and they don't really get any better from it.
Don't bother hunting Marks until you have the Nihoarghnamesucks accessory and enough remedies to debuff them. Their rewards are usually weak even if you get to them early. I think all Marks under rank 7(8?) are weak to the Niho-Rem trick.

The Chocobo Mark one in a snow map is invisible most of the time and elusive. You may remember him as a floating imp in FF4. I had a fun time trying to find this Trickster.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 25, 2009

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Anything I should know about Okami for Wii or Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia for DS?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
For Okami it's best to make short strokes to slice things, trying to make long lines won't work and the way the controls are set up it will be difficult. The same is true of the blossom technique (circles) smaller ones are quicker for you to draw and register better in the game.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Binowru posted:

Okami
The last tree is on top of his head, you'll know when you get there

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Binowru posted:

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Pay attention to attribute weaknesses and don't go through the game just using sword and hammer glyphs. If you are finding a boss hard, try some other elements to see if they do more damage.

Try to 100% maps as early as possible. There will be some obvious parts that you will know you can't get to yet, but otherwise you should check for walls to break. You want to try to rescue all of the villagers and otherwise it could be a pain hunting for any you miss.

If you see a glyph appear while an enemy is attacking, you can steal it from them.

Don't bother with Super Potions. Rather, when you get an Emperor Ring use that in conjunction with High Potions and food to heal up.

Use the elevator when you get to the top of the lighthouse. You'll know what this means when you get there.

Don't let Goliath corner you, or you will die. You can escape under his big leg stomps.

Also, no you don't suck, it just really is that hard.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Binowru posted:

Okami

-If you find yourself having trouble with slashes, release B before you release A.
-The Wii version does not have the loading screen minigame that the PS2 had.
-It will be a while before you can spend demon fangs on anything worthwhile, so don't worry too much about floral finishers when they're first introduced. Also, enemies later in the game give you more fangs per finisher.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

EggsofSteel posted:

In addition to the above tips, you should know that inactive characters do not gain experience but do gain LP. All inactive characters should be equipped with the LP doubling accessory. You can switch them to a combat accessory if you want when you make them active.

There's also an accessory that doubles the healing effect of items. If a character dies, switch that character out to the inactive roster, give someone the accessory, and have them use a phoenix down on the dead character. (You can use items and cast healing spells on inactive characters.) The result will be a revive to 100% of HP, and you'll still have three active characters in the battle.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Wow, thanks for the quick replies everyone :)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

EggsofSteel posted:

No party members are removed halfway through the game. EDIT: I totally forgot about guests. I guess that really says it all about them, they're really forgettable. The little boy dude is pretty good early on though, because he never ever runs out of potions.

My only piece of advice would be to not try to get all the summons when they first become available. They're seriously tough to fight at first.

Also, a good gambit setup is pretty vital. I had mine set to the point that I could automate almost every battle. I think it goes something like:
Res
Cure
Heal people who are really low
Cast Buffs/Debuffs
Attack
Heal
Charge

It's important to have multiple points to heal people in your gambits because the priority for healing people at 10% is a lot different from healing people at 90%.

In difficult fights you might have to step in to manually control people since they'll spend all their time healing/curing while the enemies are stuck at 1% hp or something (I had that happen a lot in an area near the end of the game).

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 25, 2009

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Binowru posted:

Wow, thanks for the quick replies everyone :)
If you want to explore, you can have one character lead and switch to another when he dies.

Important
If you see some sort of floating glowing orb...stop what you are doing and flee far from the place. Don't ever try to fight those assholes, even if you are twenty levels higher than when you entered that map.

The Zodiac Spear can be found in some places.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFjaDXgSc9U&feature=related

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 25, 2009

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

quote:

FF12

There's a lot of things you can do if you want a perfect game, or plan to tackle the postgame content. There are a few things you can permanently miss, but only one of them, the Zodiac Spear, is of any real use. If that's your thing, find a guide and follow it to the letter.

If you'd rather just go through at your own pace and focus on the plot and such, just do whatever you like. It's pretty much impossible to mess up permanently.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sworder posted:

There's a lot of things you can do if you want a perfect game, or plan to tackle the postgame content. There are a few things you can permanently miss, but only one of them, the Zodiac Spear, is of any real use. If that's your thing, find a guide and follow it to the letter.

It is of some use, but it's hardly the be-all and end-all of weapons in the game. It also randomly drops off at least one enemy type as well, so you can get it even if you're not playing from a guide.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Dominic White posted:

It is of some use, but it's hardly the be-all and end-all of weapons in the game. It also randomly drops off at least one enemy type as well, so you can get it even if you're not playing from a guide.

It's actually a random chest in the secret area in the Henne Mines. Spawning the area has about a 1/1000 chance of having the chest with the spear in it. But it IS the first "ultimate weapon" available and among the easiest to get. And if you're not going out of your way to get the others, 150 attack power will probably be the highest you're ever going to see.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nate RFB posted:

Pay attention to attribute weaknesses and don't go through the game just using sword and hammer glyphs. If you are finding a boss hard, try some other elements to see if they do more damage.

To elaborate on this, unlike virtually every other Castlevania game, strengths/weaknesses actually matter because enemies can survive more than a couple hits now. You still have a couple useless glyphs (when is Torpor ever really useful?), but the elemental glyphs mostly will get a good amount of use along with the hammer/sword/sickle ones. I almost always have a weapon glyph as my main, and an elemental one as a backup.

In addition, backstepping is actually useful now because enemies hurt a lot more than they used to. Get used to not having a ton of cash unless you want to grind. Speaking of which, find a few gold rings, and there are certain areas/enemies you can grind and never need cash again. However, this shouldn't really be needed if you take into account the attributes/backstepping and the fact that food is more economical and useful for healing than potions are (gently caress super potions they're not worth the cost).

Dypsymphuliac
Jan 26, 2007

Vae, me concacavi, puto!
Mega Man 9

-The hornet blaster is the best weapon in the game to easily run through levels with. The hornets home enemies and bring back powerups they drop (this means you almost never run out due to weapon powerups they grab) as well as any other powerups found throughout the stages (except E-tanks.)

-I have the easiest time starting with either Galaxy Man or Tornado Man.

-The only shop items worth investing in are E-tanks and the energy balancer. The 1/2 damage item is cool, but not necessary if you have the e-tanks, which are much cheaper.

-Do not buy the haircut or the Roll costume unless you are going for achievements that require them. They are huge wastes of money, and you take double damage with the haircut (no helmet)

-You can only hold 1 M-Tank, so don't bother saving up for several. Also, you can find one in Wily's castle, which is the only place you'd probably ever need it, so I wouldn't bother investing anyway.

For babies who don't want to learn the old fashioned way.
-About Wily's castle: Unlike just about every other Mega Man game, there's no second skull in Dr. Wily's castle. Feel free to go nuts with your e-tanks when you get to Wily. Just be a little cautious since you still have to survive through 3 forms.

-My suggested boss order: Tornado-Magma-Hornet-Splash-Concrete-Galaxy-Jewel-Plug. If you have an easier time starting with a different boss, go ahead with that one but follow the same order after that.

Dypsymphuliac fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 26, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
While I was playing through Brave Fencer Musashi for my other thread I prepared some notes for this one...

· The game is pretty much almost entirely jumping puzzles.
· Press START to see a hint as to how to advance the story.
· When in doubt, absorb a nearby enemy's ability. That solves almost any problem that can't be solved by Muashi's basic skills.
· Once you activate that Wind Crest in Chapter 6, you can't go back for the rest of the game.

To advance the story...
· Once you get the rocksalt, go to the huge slug-rock in Somnolent forest.
· In the Frozen Palace, there's a big, burly enemy called a SlowGuy. Let him grab you and throw you; this will advance you further.
· After your second trip through Steamwood, go to the Grillin' Reservoir and look for a Fire Crest.
· After you get the Wind Scroll, go up to the Gondola Station.

EDIT: Next up is Betrayal at Krondor. I took a peek at it for about 10 minutes and I like what I've played. Little help here?

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 26, 2009

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl

the littlest prince posted:

-The Wii version does not have the loading screen minigame that the PS2 had.
Derail, but, why don't more games do this? Loading screens are, in general, a necessary evil. Why is Okami the only game ever made to incorporate a minigame into the loading screen? And not just any minigame, one that provides tangible benefits to the main game if you win.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Salt Block Party posted:

Derail, but, why don't more games do this? Loading screens are, in general, a necessary evil. Why is Okami the only game ever made to incorporate a minigame into the loading screen? And not just any minigame, one that provides tangible benefits to the main game if you win.

There is a company somewhere who have an extremely vague patent that gives them the the rights to the concept of "loading screen minigames" as far as I remember. No-one wants to be the one to find out if that poo poo will fly in court, so they just dont bother with loading screen minigames.

Note: I could be wrong about this.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

EDIT: Next up is Betrayal at Krondor. I took a peek at it for about 10 minutes and I like what I've played. Little help here?

Not exactly what you're looking for, but this site covers everything.

Some tips:
-You can explore pretty much the whole world in the first chapter. It gets constrained more for a few chapters before opening back up again. Use the opportunity!
-Don't buy weapons and armor full price. Either buy them from this shop that sells them worn or use your enemie's. You should be repairing every single weapon and piece of armor that you stumble across the whole game in order to get your repair skills up.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 26, 2009

treestump
Dec 20, 2004
what was David Coverdale to do?

SiKboy posted:

There is a company somewhere who have an extremely vague patent that gives them the the rights to the concept of "loading screen minigames" as far as I remember. No-one wants to be the one to find out if that poo poo will fly in court, so they just dont bother with loading screen minigames.

Tekken 5 and Ridge Racer , just off the top of my head, both had minigames for their opening loading screens. If you beat the ridge racer one, it unlocked a whole bunch of cars that still sucked compared to that one really fast black one.

BIOJECT
May 12, 2006

Rikkmeister posted:

Any tips for Silent Hill 2 for the PC? I've had it for like 2 years, it's about time I try it.
Silent hill 2
1. Play on normal gameplay and normal puzzle difficulty first playthrough. (extreme mode is seriously EXTREME!! There is literally a calculus puzzle on extreme)
2. Avoid using bullets as much as possible.
3. Learn to dodge enemies when running through the streets of Silent hill.
4. Save as much as possible via safepoints.
5. Always check backalleys, benches, and nooks for health items and ammo.
6. Recommend replaying the game because each ending is interesting and meaningful and you can miss a whole lot the first playthrough. There is a lot of depth in the silent hill 2 if you care about that kind of stuff.

Final Fantasy XII
Promptly remove Vaan and Penelo from your active party list as soon as you get the characters to replace them. They weren't intended to be in the game in the first place so why use such lovely characers?

BIOJECT fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 26, 2009

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

I believe this company is Namco.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
Any The Witcher tips folks?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Kleptomaniac posted:

Any The Witcher tips folks?

Get the intelligence talent that lets you gather herbs first, then you can shift click every plant you pass when moving about to grab potion ingredients instantly.
Prioritise strength and stamina talents above all others, intelligence too if you use signs a lot.
From there the simpleset way to go is to just upgrade sword styles, try to have a few points in fast silver before the end of chapter 1 even though you don't have a silver sword yet, trust me on this. If you want to be more sign heavy aard and igni are great, but the others shouldn't be ignored.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Jagtpanther posted:

Gears of War 2

I've played #1 before and I'm just in the opening minutes of #2 - I want to bag as many achievements as I can on my play through without any major spoilers. I'm playing on Hardcore difficulty. Good/bad guns/tactics/etc. would be appreciated!
This is a page back now, but it's worth noting that the collectibles are a lot easier to just come back to than in Gears 1. You have a War Journal that shows which chapter every collectible item is in, so if you miss some (or most) of them on your first time through, you can just go back to those chapters to fill it in instead of doing another full run just for items.

BIOJECT posted:

Final Fantasy XII
Promptly remove Vaan and Penelo from your active party list as soon as you get the characters to replace them. They weren't intended to be in the game in the first place so why use such lovely characers?
Haha, seriously?

It shows.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny
Fallout 3

If you want to play the game on easy mode tag Energy Weapons and complete the "Replicated Man" quest in Rivet City and get the Android's Plasma Rifle. Turns the game into a complete joke. If you have the right perks, you basically 1 or 2 shot everything.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

BIOJECT posted:

Silent hill 2
5. Always check backalleys, benches, and nooks for health items and ammo.

Also keep an eye on James' head. He always looks at items that he passes. If he's not looking straight ahead, then there's something to collect in the general direction that he's looking.

Arzy posted:

Fallout 3

If you want to play the game on easy mode tag Energy Weapons and complete the "Replicated Man" quest in Rivet City and get the Android's Plasma Rifle. Turns the game into a complete joke. If you have the right perks, you basically 1 or 2 shot everything.

Also see the Alien Blaster. It does 88 points per hit, with the only downside being there are 120 shots for it in the game. All of these are on the ground next to it when you find it. This makes the Deathclaws far less intimidating than they were.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Can I request Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Left 4 Dead

Survivors
- Don't get too far ahead or behind the rest of your group; this may sound like common sense, but it's also a common mistake. Two of the special infected (including the hunter, the most common one) can disable you, and you need someone else to save you.
- Conversely, if someone else runs ahead or lags behind, it's best if one other person sticks with them.
- Learn where the possible spawn points for level 2 weapons are and don't miss them.
- Witches are much less intimidating when you have an autoshotgun; you can literally just walk up to her and pump 4-5 shells into her before she can get up and maim you.
- Always, always set the tank on fire. A burning tank will die in 30-40 seconds regardless of any other damage done to it.
- Don't miss pipebombs and molotovs, they're amazingly useful.
- If everyone still has medkits and you find some, the person with the lowest health should heal up and grab the medkit.
- Never underestimate the usefulness of pills. The medkit tip also applies to pills.
- If you get to the ending saferoom and others are lagging behind, close the door. It's easy to reopen from the outside, and all doors in the game open both ways.

Infected
- Boomer: Your death explosion doesn't have a very long range, and any active stream of vomit vanishes when you die. Either sneak up on the survivors or get the drop on them. You get credit for damage that normal infected inflict on survivors that are under the effect of your vomit/explosion.
- Smoker: Whenever possible, smoke from a different level than the survivors; either above or below. When you have a chance to target survivors that have been hit by a boomer, go for the one(s) that didn't get hit. If you go for the blind one(s), the others can free them from your tongue easily. Also, don't forget you are quite audible.
- Hunter: The further you travel in the air, the more damage your pounce does. You do significantly more pounce damage when on fire. Your claws do more damage than the smoker or boomer's. Also, you can somewhat blend into a mob of normal infected when not crawling.
- Tank: Don't get set on fire. Don't try to squeeze through small openings. If you can hit survivors with a physics object (glows red while a tank) it will instantly incapacitate them. Also, in the No Mercy finale, you can potentially swat survivors off the roof, killing them instantly.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

m2pt5 posted:

Survivors
- Don't get too far ahead or behind the rest of your group; this may sound like common sense, but it's also a common mistake. Two of the special infected (including the hunter, the most common one) can disable you, and you need someone else to save you.

If you know you're within 30-40 seconds of the safehouse and have near full health, run like hell, especially if you know that all four are either dead or spawned or both. People generally get too fixated on actually killing the special infected - if they're alive and behind you, they're not in front of you killing you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bart Fargo posted:

Also see the Alien Blaster. It does 88 points per hit, with the only downside being there are 120 shots for it in the game. All of these are on the ground next to it when you find it. This makes the Deathclaws far less intimidating than they were.

There's another 100 or so in an overturned military truck, but I forget where it is. Considering most things go down in one shot from it, and considering that one shot is usually a critical, you can get about 100 kills out of the thing. Save it for the particularly hard guys and you've beaten the game.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny

RBA Starblade posted:

There's another 100 or so in an overturned military truck, but I forget where it is. Considering most things go down in one shot from it, and considering that one shot is usually a critical, you can get about 100 kills out of the thing. Save it for the particularly hard guys and you've beaten the game.

Are there any "really hard guys" ?? Am I missing them? After I got the Android Plasma rifle I had to up the game to Hard because it was a joke. Throw in Fawkes and even Deathclaw Sanctuary was cake.

I also have 50 stim paks, I dont think I've ever had a fight where I thought I'd die. Please tell me there's some final fight that might actually be difficult.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Arzy posted:

Are there any "really hard guys" ?? Am I missing them? After I got the Android Plasma rifle I had to up the game to Hard because it was a joke. Throw in Fawkes and even Deathclaw Sanctuary was cake.

I also have 50 stim paks, I dont think I've ever had a fight where I thought I'd die. Please tell me there's some final fight that might actually be difficult.

If you're running the PC version, check out the Welcome To The Wasteland mod. It introduces some actual challenge to the game, and is a fantastic piece of work. If you're running the console version, enjoy your post-apocalyptic godhood.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

Arzy posted:

Fallout 3

I like Lincoln's Repeater myself. Also, is there any point to "Lincoln's Voice" and the other Lincoln thing?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Fallout 3

Nope, RBA Starblade, you're by far the most powerful thing in the wasteland at this point. In fact, if you already have Fawkes, you're almost done with the main quest, and there aren't any tough battles remaining. The last mission doesn't require you to be armed with much more than a peashooter.

On the Lincoln artifacts: Lincoln's Repeater is, as mentioned, a very good rifle. Lincoln's Voice, the Action Abe Doll, and the other half dozen Lincoln artifacts you can find can be sold in several different places to people who collect that sort of thing. Try Rivet City, the Lincoln Monument, or The Temple of the Union.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Not really an 'I'm playing this game for the first time', but after not looking at it for rather a while I've decided to play through Persona 3 again before the sequel is released, and while I have no problems with the core gameplay, I could definitely use some tips on fusing personae. Not as much in the sense of how to do, more WHAT to do.

Any particular personae that are especially useful (any level)? Any 'style' that is more efficient (Is making a persona with several resistances or immunities viable? Should I try making a dedicated healer?) How do you even experiment with stuff without running out of money for resummoning :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Bobfly posted:

Not really an 'I'm playing this game for the first time', but after not looking at it for rather a while I've decided to play through Persona 3 again before the sequel is released, and while I have no problems with the core gameplay, I could definitely use some tips on fusing personae. Not as much in the sense of how to do, more WHAT to do.

Any particular personae that are especially useful (any level)? Any 'style' that is more efficient (Is making a persona with several resistances or immunities viable? Should I try making a dedicated healer?)

I tended to have one persona on me that could heal, just in case, you generally want to have personas that can cast each of the major elemental skills (fire, ice, wind, lightning), and getting a persona that can resist, or at least block, each of those elements is also incredibly helpful. If not maximizing strengths, at least minimize weaknesses, you don't want to run into a boss that uses fire and all your good personas are weak to fire.

Also, if you get a good skill on a persona, make sure that whenever you fuse away that persona, the one you fused inherits it, even if it takes you half an hour to get the right skills to stick. Unfortunately, much of the fusion process is trying to fuse the personas about 100 times in a row until the right combination comes up (which, if you don't know, involves canceling the fusion, canceling out the last persona, then re-selecting, that gives you new skill inheritances).

quote:

How do you even experiment with stuff without running out of money for resummoning :argh:

Save/reload or don't go through with the fusion?