Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

WestofEden posted:

I have to agree, 100 budgeted for a cake won't get you much. Based on your food budget, it looks like you're having upwards of 120 people, so unless you're getting a really plain sheet cake... I might reconsider. I work in an office, and have the monthly birthday cake order delegated to me. A 1/4 sheet that serves 25 people is $44 from the bakery we use, which as I can tell is nice, but by no means the most high end place ever, and that's just the plain cake. I ordered a fancier cake for a coworker's baby shower with fondant and the usual trimmings, again, only to serve 25 or so people, and that came to 150. I would just keep that in mind if you are going the more traditional wedding cake route, it's going to cost more than you think. Good luck and congratulations!

With cake you're pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't. You're going to be paying for it however you, um, slice it.

We're doing cupcakes. I refused to do cheap cupcakes, so it's about 3 bucks a person. If we did cake, we'd have to pay for the cake, plus the venue's cutting fee or whatever they call it of something like 2.50 per person. A lot of the time, venues can do the cakes themselves, but charge a decent amount. If MarshallX has actually found a way of doing cake for 150 people for 100 bucks, I wanna hear about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
I'm also going the cupcake route. I'm hoping that my plan of baking them works out though. I found a recipe that seems to to be pretty amazing, or at least all of the reviews claim it to be. Of course in my case, it also helps that there will only be around 50 or so guests to feed.

This is a bit late, but I took all of your advice and bought the veil that you all recommended. Now I'm anxiously waiting for it to come in the mail. (For those curious, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2764878&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=23#post353213379.)

Another question that's been plaguing me - shoes. What color did you get? Material? Height? I'm a bit lost at the moment as I found a pair that I really love the shape of, but I'm unsure due to the color.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
My friend got some gorgeous turqoise heels to wear with her white wedding dress. I think the flash of color is neato.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I just want to add that you can have a lovely wedding for not so much money. My wedding budget was $5,000.

I was able to have a beautiful venue (http://www.heritagegardens.com/) where we had both the wedding and the reception. I had a kickass cake. My dress only cost like $300 because I really shopped around. We spend the majority of our budget on food and the photographer, but we still had nice invitations and a DJ.

I did not do most of this myself. I didn't print my own invitations or bake my own cake. All these things were purchased from professionals. Don't think that you can only have a nice wedding with a 10k+ wedding budget. Don't think that anything less than that gets you nothing. You have to plan and budget, but you can get a really nice wedding put together for a reasonable price. I just wanted to say that because I think a wedding should be a joyous event and I don't think it's right that people get so stressed about money.

Also, wear whatever shoes you like. If you want attention drawn to them, get something flashy and colorful, if you want something more subdued, get that.

And CONGRATS to everybody getting married!!

Wench
Aug 8, 2000
MONITOR != TOUCHSCREEN. DO NOT TOUCH THE MONITOR

ghost story posted:

Another question that's been plaguing me - shoes. What color did you get? Material? Height? I'm a bit lost at the moment as I found a pair that I really love the shape of, but I'm unsure due to the color.
I bought these in the bronze. My dress is ivory and champagne. The shoes are wicked, wicked comfortable, and, at least in my size, was true-to-size.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wench posted:

I bought these in the bronze. My dress is ivory and champagne. The shoes are wicked, wicked comfortable, and, at least in my size, was true-to-size.

Hey congrats to you and Jethro. I'm engaged too, hooray.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Exelsior posted:

I'm hoping some asian, more specifically Singaporean goons can help me out. A girl at work goes on about asian wedding factories, and how it is very common to have a quiet private wedding, and then a few years later when the couple has a bit more money they go to a wedding factory and have a photo album made. She says the dress, tux, hair and makeup are all provided. My original wedding photos sucked, I looked like a freakin Tolkien elf and I am going to Singapore in March. Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences they can share? Are the dresses horrible 80s tulle monstrosities? Ballpark price? How long do you have to book in advance? Thanks.

Dunno about wedding factories, but here in Japan it's very common to have photos takes with multiple dresses, traditional and Western, at a studio separately from the ceremony. Here's some sample prices from a local studio... I used a Y100=$1 conversion:
Studio Photo (large) 2 shots for $168
Studio Album (large) $1,260
Studio Album (small- A4 size) $1,050
Studio Plan- wedding dress, cocktail dress, tuxedo, makeup (large) 6 shots for $2,100
Another studio's site says $1,134 for photos, makeup, kimono, accessories... but nothing about dudes.

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

Gravitee posted:

Kissing bowl $10
I've just been sat here for 5 full minutes trying to figure out what this could possibly be, and all I'm getting are those mental images of the kidney-shaped pans in hospitals to stop you drooling on yourself... Someone want to help me out here?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Thanks for the tips on the cake...I guess I just suppose dropping 500$ on a piece of food that nobody really likes anyways is a bit absurd.

On another note....groomsmen gifts...any ideas? I'm looking to spend around 50$-75$ per groomsman and really want to stay away from the traditionals (Flask, Cigars, Cufflinks, etc)

Breakdown of my groomsmen are:
Cousin - Dirtbiker, best friends since i was born until I moved away in 2003..
Brother - Businessman
Brother - Hunter, Hockey Referee, Scuba Diver
New Brother 1 - Businessman/Teacher
New Brother 2 - Physiotherapist/Hockey Coach

Looking at 2 ends of the spectrum :(

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

squirrellypoo posted:

I've just been sat here for 5 full minutes trying to figure out what this could possibly be, and all I'm getting are those mental images of the kidney-shaped pans in hospitals to stop you drooling on yourself... Someone want to help me out here?

We didn't want people to clink glasses all through dinner, so we used a kissing bowl. If you wanted us to kiss you had to make a donation and put it in a glass bowl we had on the head table. We ended up raising $75 and donated it to charity. It worked too - clinking was kept to a minimum and we were able to raise money and not look like greedy bastards. (e.g. Dollar Dance)

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

Gravitee posted:

We didn't want people to clink glasses all through dinner, so we used a kissing bowl. If you wanted us to kiss you had to make a donation and put it in a glass bowl we had on the head table. We ended up raising $75 and donated it to charity. It worked too - clinking was kept to a minimum and we were able to raise money and not look like greedy bastards. (e.g. Dollar Dance)
Ahhh, thanks. I've never, ever heard of that before!

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Gravitee posted:

Oh my god that's brilliant.

Don Danger
Dec 31, 2004

Gravitee posted:

What?
I might not be very well versed in weddings (or anything, for that matter) but is this common practice? I've always liked weddings because people get to clink their glasses after giving a speech or something (is that even what you're talking about or am I way off?) dunno why, I always liked speeches at weddings and the ritual of asking for people's attention to greet the dudes getting married.

Anyways, what's a good price for a wedding ring? I could do with a poo poo wedding band, but is $4k-5k getting a really good band + stone for the bride or "meh" ones?.

I've talked about this with my best friend (my ex) since like forever and I've always wondered about the bride's ring, nothing else is as baffling to me as I've watched most of my cousins getting married and helped with the process and they always go far out on the rings (and afterparty and booze). Wedding rings and the party are things that my family likes to spend a lot on I guess, then again it might seem like less because they never had to worry about getting a house or anything. :O

edit: Also, is expecting money from the family common? Each uncle/aunt would always give my cousins like 1k as wedding gifts, and maybe some basic kitchen poo poo. I'm really counting on that for whenever the time comes, thing is I might be the black sheep sooo...

Don Danger fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 16, 2009

cranberry juice
Feb 15, 2008
I went to a wedding in Minneapolis where they clinked glasses to get the bride and groom to kiss, and it was the first time I've heard of the tradition. I was told it's a midwest thing, but then at some other weddings in Chicago, it never happened (maybe because the Chicago ones were really ritzy affairs?). I too thought that clinking your glass was a way to get everyone quiet b/c you were standing up to give a speech.

Also, What is the "dollar dance"?

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

Don Danger posted:

Anyways, what's a good price for a wedding ring? I could do with a poo poo wedding band, but is $4k-5k getting a really good band + stone for the bride or "meh" ones?.

Couple of questions: what country are you in? This makes a big difference when it comes to traditions surrounding the rings.

If you are in the US/Canada (possibly other English speaking countries) the engagement ring is the one with the big rock, which is a totally different deal than the wedding band. Recently there has been a trend to have the engagement ring and wedding band match, but many people continue to have a band (or bands) and the e-ring not be a set.

Some women have very strong preferences about it, in fact. My e-ring and wedding band will not match as I won't be wearing them together, but I have seen other women choose multiple bands for above and below the e-ring, stackable bands, traditional bands, multi-toned bands ... the list goes on.

In the above mentioned countries, the e-ring with the rock is the biggest deal, so I recommend that you do some research and educate yourself on the process and pitfalls. http://www.pricescope.com is a forum with knowledgeable consumers who will help you find something in your budget that is good quality if you want their help, but do educate yourself either way.

I apologize if you already knew all this and I just misinterpreted the above quoted sentence.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
I'm from the midwest, and can confirm the glasses-clinkage. That said, I did recently attend a wedding here in Arizona, where the groom's family was from Utah and the Bride's from the South, and the same thing happened there.

For those uninitiated, the rule is that whenever someone hits their glass with silverware or whatever (much as you would for a toast), the bride and groom have to kiss for the duration of the clinking. Doesn't matter if the bride and groom are on opposite sides of the room when it starts, they'd better rush to find each other.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005

cranberry juice posted:

Also, What is the "dollar dance"?

An incredibly tacky tradition also known as the Money Dance. It's a serious wedding faux pas, but some people find ways to "justify" it. Basically, people pay to dance with the bride and sometimes the groom. Unless it's traditional to the country from where you come from it is considered as an awful money grab.

Seriously, I HATE the dollar dance/money dance.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Most weddings I've been to have had the clinking of the glasses to get the couple to kiss so I forget it is a regional thing. My wedding was held in Michigan but a bunch of the family was from Canada and Kentucky. I've been to weddings were they start to clink glasses and the bride was in the bathroom. I thought it was kind of tacky and wanted to avoid that. (On a TMI note, once I got dressed, I didn't go pee once. I was dressed for nearly 12 hours and I didn't go to the bathroom the entire time.)

I think the Dollar Dance is very tacky and slows down the pace of the party. I think that is a midwest thing too; I've only seen it at Michigan weddings. I thought people would get bored watching me dance with cousins, uncles, and friends. My mother-in-law asked that I not include it and I happily obliged.

SomaticHM
Jan 14, 2008

Gravitee posted:

Most weddings I've been to have had the clinking of the glasses to get the couple to kiss so I forget it is a regional thing. My wedding was held in Michigan but a bunch of the family was from Canada and Kentucky. I've been to weddings were they start to clink glasses and the bride was in the bathroom. I thought it was kind of tacky and wanted to avoid that.

I was at a wedding in Wales (ie UK) this summer which did this glass clinking/kissing thing. It was suggested by one of the wedding party at the start of the reception, who stated that she'd "seen it at an American wedding". So it's spreading! But it seemed more annoying than anything else to me?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

From Chicago, definitely have had clinking glasses=kissing at every wedding I've been to!

I LOVE the kissing bowl idea, though! It'd be neat to have a note on there saying all the money raised would go to the rescue we got our husky from. I don't know if we could get away with not doing the glass thing, though, my family seems to be obsessed with it!

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?
I think dollar dances have potential to be tacky, but they're a big tradition here. I haven't witnessed it like you pay to dance with the bride though, its if you buy a shot of liquor for a dollar you get to dance with her. It usually turns into people mock fighting over the bride while everyone looks on and laughs. That or an enormous competition where each guy tries to out-dance the last and the bride isn't even really involved. At one wedding they took turns spinning the poor girl in circles -- I thought she'd be sick.

If you're having a huge society wedding I would skip it, but if you're with close friends and family, and everyone knows and doesn't mind its fine. It isn't like you're going to make $5000 off of it, and if people get mad because people paid a dollar each to act like idiots, well they're too uptight IMO.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

WolfensteinBag posted:

I LOVE the kissing bowl idea, though! It'd be neat to have a note on there saying all the money raised would go to the rescue we got our husky from. I don't know if we could get away with not doing the glass thing, though, my family seems to be obsessed with it!

I'm Canadian and I HATE the clinking kissy thing. Drives me bananas. At a friends wedding, every time you clinked your glass, you had to answer a star trek trivia question. If you got it right, THEN the bride and groom would kiss. It was pretty funny. It kept the chinking of glasses at bay, and was a lot of fun. They just had their MC announce before dinner that this was happening, and everyone carried on. No biggie.

I've been to a lot of weddings where there is so much clinking of glasses that the bride and groom barely get to eat. It's loving annoying.

The bowl is a gret idea, I would donate the money to one of the local animal shelters.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
I went to a wedding recently that had someone at our table obsessively clinking his glass. He thought it was the best thing ever, I guess. That with all the other stories here makes me think we should think of some sort of alternate arrangement - I'm not going to be able to eat much in that dress, but I'd like to have some dinner.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Farewell Horizon posted:

I'm Canadian and I HATE the clinking kissy thing. Drives me bananas. At a friends wedding, every time you clinked your glass, you had to answer a star trek trivia question. If you got it right, THEN the bride and groom would kiss. It was pretty funny. It kept the chinking of glasses at bay, and was a lot of fun. They just had their MC announce before dinner that this was happening, and everyone carried on. No biggie.

I've been to a lot of weddings where there is so much clinking of glasses that the bride and groom barely get to eat. It's loving annoying.

The bowl is a gret idea, I would donate the money to one of the local animal shelters.

hahaha. At a friend's wedding the couple drew names out of a bowl and the person drawn has to demonstrate a kiss for the couple, so that kept the clinking down a little--though I imagine with a rowdier party this might not work so well.

The trivia thing is a good idea! I might borrow that :) Maybe my fiance would like to go with math questions...

cooolllll
Sep 11, 2001

Thor cares for no man!

MarshallX posted:

Thanks for the tips on the cake...I guess I just suppose dropping 500$ on a piece of food that nobody really likes anyways is a bit absurd.

On another note....groomsmen gifts...any ideas? I'm looking to spend around 50$-75$ per groomsman and really want to stay away from the traditionals (Flask, Cigars, Cufflinks, etc)

Breakdown of my groomsmen are:
Cousin - Dirtbiker, best friends since i was born until I moved away in 2003..
Brother - Businessman
Brother - Hunter, Hockey Referee, Scuba Diver
New Brother 1 - Businessman/Teacher
New Brother 2 - Physiotherapist/Hockey Coach

Looking at 2 ends of the spectrum :(

You seriously cannot go wrong with a good cigar. Its a man thing and most guys like them, You could get a humidor with a sample pack of different varieties within that price range. But if you wanted specific gifts I offer as follows:

Cousin: New Gloves (always get worn out), something personal (he's your friend)
Brother: What business? Buisness Owner?
Brother 2: Hunter (membership at rifle range), Scuba Watch (I personally use Luminox, No matter how much i do to it this watch will not scratch and is very reliable.
New Brother 1: Bobblehead for classroom (or some other classroom orientated/grade gift)
New Brother 2: No clue

Shmee!
Jan 2, 2009
Is all of this really necessary?

I mean, I have attended some half a dozen weddings in the last few years, but two of them really exemplify it.

There was one which had sit-down three course dinners, incredibly elaborate ceremonies, and that landed either the couple or the parents in massive debt. A lot of people were bored to tears, since all the relatives etc were invited, whether they were close or not. I would rather have been anywhere else.

Result: divorce.

Another where only the people the couple actually really liked were invited, and that were really low on ceremony. Went like so. Music: provided by the groom's friends (he's a professional musician). Catering: provided by the bride's friends (they run some kind of biological hippie farm). Guests: whoever they liked. Decos: done by the bride and her mom. One of the best parties I ever attended.

Result: Three kids, and ten years later still going strong.

I am not saying everyone should not have whatever makes the happiest day of their life happier yet. If one wants a princessy dress, big diamond and a big ceremony, by all means one should have one.

But If and when I will have my big day, I'd like to throw all the "must do" down the toilet, and have a party with my loved ones, celebrating the commitment I am about to make, and screw protocol. Screw diamonds, screw dresses that look like cream cakes, screw horrid debt.

I'd like a plain silver ring, a good dancing party, and love forever =).

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Hey all!

I am looking for an engagement ring, but I'm dubious about buying online. It seems like it would be such a hassle if I had to exchange it for size purposes.

Where do you think would be the best (both in terms of price and quality) brick-and-mortar store to buy a ring? Luckily my girlfriend doesn't have extravegant taste so I'm looking for something very simple, a white gold band and a relatively small diamond.

Thanks in advance!

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Shmee! posted:

I agree. I do want a big princessy dress (I mean, really princessy) but I'd rather have a cheap, fun party than a boring formal affair. I can maybe imagine spending $2,000 (like an expensive party), but more than that is just too much for me to consider. Even at the risk of looking tacky, I'd rather make a down payment on a house.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Shmee! posted:

Not every couple who has a big fancy shindig gets divorced, and not every couple who has a small intimate affair stays happily married.

People should do whatever makes them the happiest.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Bambi posted:

Hey all!

I am looking for an engagement ring, but I'm dubious about buying online. It seems like it would be such a hassle if I had to exchange it for size purposes.

Where do you think would be the best (both in terms of price and quality) brick-and-mortar store to buy a ring? Luckily my girlfriend doesn't have extravegant taste so I'm looking for something very simple, a white gold band and a relatively small diamond.

Thanks in advance!

Don't let the sizing scare you away from ordering online. If you buy in a store it will likely have to be resized anyway, and it's not that much of a hassle. Not to mention you'll probably find a better deal online.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn
Gonna go ahead and join the engaged/planning a wedding boat here. We've been engaged since my last birthday in September, and have set our date for May 10, 2010. I'm already really excited and in the organizing everything stage of planning, even though I have almost a year and a half to do it all in.

Anyway, I wanted to ask how I should prepare for any rain contingencies, as I'm having an outdoor wedding (thank god my dad has a beautiful old plantation home with a really nice pecan orchard out back, sure gets rid of a ton of stress for me!). Should I just rent a tent that would cover the ceremony space? It wouldn't have to be terribly big, I want a small, low key wedding with maybe 50 people if we can pull it off that small. We're already planning on renting a cover for at least part of the reception area (also outside) to cover the food and all that.

Should I go ahead and factor in the cost of another tent or two just in case?

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

King Skinny Pimp posted:

Should I go ahead and factor in the cost of another tent or two just in case?
I would definitely budget for it but not commit to renting it until you get an idea of what the weather is like closer to the time. May can be pretty rainy- better safe than sorry!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Bambi posted:

It seems like it would be such a hassle if I had to exchange it for size purposes.

Where do you think would be the best (both in terms of price and quality) brick-and-mortar store to buy a ring?

Luckily, resizing a ring doesn't require an exchange. A goldsmith just cuts the base of the ring and either adds or subtract some gold to get to the proper size. If you are buying a ring online try to stay away from anything that has diamonds all the way around the band. Those rings often cannot be resized.

You're going to pay higher prices in a retail store. I sell diamonds online, and while we have the ability to offer more value we have to forgo the walk-in business that retail jewelers enjoy.

How about this ring? :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Shmee! posted:

I am not saying everyone should not have whatever makes the happiest day of their life happier yet. If one wants a princessy dress, big diamond and a big ceremony, by all means one should have one.

But If and when I will have my big day, I'd like to throw all the "must do" down the toilet, and have a party with my loved ones, celebrating the commitment I am about to make, and screw protocol. Screw diamonds, screw dresses that look like cream cakes, screw horrid debt.

I'd like a plain silver ring, a good dancing party, and love forever =).

Meet The Off-Beat Bride. :)

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Has anyone here ever gone for a slightly off beat first dance?

We quite fancy something modern and have been trying to think of possibilities but are struggling to think of a song we won't cringe at in a few years time; we are also struggling to decide if that is necessarily a bad thing or if unintentional future hilarity is just fine.

There is also that nagging awareness in the back of my head that our parents will have to dance to whatever this tune is too and that will definitely be hilarious, regardless of how well or badly it goes.

Our musicians are friends of ours and will play just about anything.

Anyone got any thoughts or had any experiences?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Zalakwe posted:

Has anyone here ever gone for a slightly off beat first dance?

We quite fancy something modern and have been trying to think of possibilities but are struggling to think of a song we won't cringe at in a few years time; we are also struggling to decide if that is necessarily a bad thing or if unintentional future hilarity is just fine.

There is also that nagging awareness in the back of my head that our parents will have to dance to whatever this tune is too and that will definitely be hilarious, regardless of how well or badly it goes.

Our musicians are friends of ours and will play just about anything.

Anyone got any thoughts or had any experiences?

We are having "All I want is you" by Barry Louis Polstar. But our choice before that was going to be "Geordie in Wonderland" by the Wildhearts.

As our band says, you can waltz to whatever - doesn't have to be 3/4 timeframe.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Narwhale posted:

Don't let the sizing scare you away from ordering online. If you buy in a store it will likely have to be resized anyway, and it's not that much of a hassle. Not to mention you'll probably find a better deal online.

JohnnyRnR posted:

Luckily, resizing a ring doesn't require an exchange. A goldsmith just cuts the base of the ring and either adds or subtract some gold to get to the proper size. If you are buying a ring online try to stay away from anything that has diamonds all the way around the band. Those rings often cannot be resized.

You're going to pay higher prices in a retail store. I sell diamonds online, and while we have the ability to offer more value we have to forgo the walk-in business that retail jewelers enjoy.

How about this ring? :)
Thank you both for the advice, I'm a lot more confident about buying online now. However, since I know nothing about these matters, could I ask for a little more help? I have my eye on this ring:

It's a 14k white gold band with a .77 carat center stone (G/VS2), .40 carats of side diamonds and .30 carats of tanzanite sidestones. The seller is asking $900. Now like I said, I don't know much about these things, but from my casual browsing of rings online that seems like an unbelievable deal. Too good to be true, or what? For what it's worth the seller seems pretty reputable.

Bambi fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 26, 2009

Bacon Fish
Dec 15, 2007

Stop grinning like a fucking psycho and get back to work
I just spent the entire day reading this thread due to being sick and bedridden today!

My girlfriend and I shared a little moment a few weeks ago when we came across a couple of rings. It was one of those times you hear about where "you just know". We had to have those rings and we decided that it would soon be a good time to get engaged.

A few people have seem disappointed that we've mutually agreed upon getting engaged and that we both know where and when it's going to happen. But I don't mind and I can't wait.

I get paid at the end of this week so we will be going in to get sized and order the rings. We're not into diamonds at all and when we saw these we just fell in love.

Mine!

A Clogau Gold classic, the Ivy Leaf ring expresses the power and continuity of nature. Clogau's undulating 'Ivy Leaf' motif, hand-crafted in lustrous rose gold, sits on an open sterling silver shank. With a touch rare Welsh gold mined from the mountains of Snowdonia, this beautiful ring carries the unique Clogau Gold and Welsh Dragon marks.

Hers!

Inspired by the story of the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden, this ring is simply delectable. Clogau's inimitable 'Tree of Life' motif crafted in rose gold is mounted within a sterling silver shank. With a touch of rare Welsh gold, this ring carries the unique Welsh dragon and Clogau marks.

We have to go to Paris at the end of March, so we've decided this is the perfect time to make it official. I'm planning on taking her for a picnic in that park that surrounds the Eiffel Tower and then us putting the rings on then.

We're thinking September 2012 as a general idea for a date. Gives us plenty of time to save and plan and for my family to prepare as we'll be getting married in Canada.

I'm really excited!

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Bambi posted:

Thank you both for the advice, I'm a lot more confident about buying online now. However, since I know nothing about these matters, could I ask for a little more help? I have my eye on this ring:

It's a 14k white gold band with a .77 carat center stone (G/VS2), .40 carats of side diamonds and .30 carats of tanzanite sidestones. The seller is asking $900. Now like I said, I don't know much about these things, but from my casual browsing of rings online that seems like an unbelievable deal. Too good to be true, or what? For what it's worth the seller seems pretty reputable.

First, I agree that resizing is not a big concern. A lot of online jewelers will let you send it in for resizing for free or for a small fee.

The ring you linked does sound like an unbelievable deal. The center stone alone would probably normally cost more than double the price you are quoted for the whole ring, not to mention the setting and side stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?
Bridal showers are kind of rear end. My friends are mostly males, and even though I managed to not invite the 140 old ladies and various people my mom was trying to insist on, out of the 60 invited, about 40 of them are people I don't know from his family, or people I barely know. It was hard trying to decide which people from my old neighborhood to invite, because they all were a huge part of my life, but since I moved I hardly see them. My MOH said she thought I did a good job doing the list, but I still worry like 8 people will show up and I'll feel like a huge loser. I am still mad she wouldn't let me just invite all my guy friends.