Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

ElanoreMcMantis posted:

Bridal showers are kind of rear end. My friends are mostly males, and even though I managed to not invite the 140 old ladies and various people my mom was trying to insist on, out of the 60 invited, about 40 of them are people I don't know from his family, or people I barely know. It was hard trying to decide which people from my old neighborhood to invite, because they all were a huge part of my life, but since I moved I hardly see them. My MOH said she thought I did a good job doing the list, but I still worry like 8 people will show up and I'll feel like a huge loser. I am still mad she wouldn't let me just invite all my guy friends.

I think I mentioned somewhere above that I'm having two showers - one organized by my MoH with friends, and one organized by my mom and FMIL with family. The main reason for doing that is that most of my friends are guys too, and this way we can do a "couple's shower" without denying all the women in our families the chance to have an awful tea party or whatever. And so no one has to host like 80 people at once.

I know that doesn't help you out much - showers are pretty lame, and it sounds like your MoH wants yours to be as traditional as possible. But maybe someone else in the same boat can use the idea.

On a related note, does anyone know how likely it is that people will actually use our gift registries? We're being pretty open about it - I know it's a faux pas, but we mentioned them in passing on our "rsvp cards" (ie, the cards that point people to our website to RSVP, get directions, and look at our drat registry). We were really not into the registry idea at first, but then we put a ton of time into finding items that would be really useful for us, so I'm hoping people will actually buy some of the stuff.

LittleCat fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nm

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?

LittleCat posted:

On a related note, does anyone know how likely it is that people will actually use our gift registries?

Where I live people will call you inconsiderate if you DON'T register. It happened to my soon to be sister in law, and she ended up registering at the last minute, and got everything on it and then some. She was pretty hacked off too, because her aunt actually told her off for not including registry info in the invites.

I didn't want to, everyone knows we own our home and lots of stuff and would rather if people either just decided on their own (creative and unexpected stuff is great!) or gave us money toward the trip. Since you can't just say 'gimmie money', MOH was just going to put a note that she was collecting for a trip fund/wishing well, and the themes for our bathrooms/kitchen and leave it at that. Well my mom and MOH's mom and soon to be mother in law threw a complete tizz and said that if I didn't register and let people know where it was I was being a jerk. I asked if it was the way I was handling the money situation that they thought was wrong, and they said no -- do a wishing well AND a registry. (!?!?)

I'm really frustrated over it. My stepmom is doing a China set for us, and my Dad is getting me a good set of pots and pans. I'm not trying to be ungrateful, and getting gifts is nice, but I don't see why people should go out and spend money on things we really don't need. I tried explaining this to everyone who was bitching and they said "Oh just pick out some new curtains or whatever." I'm frustrated, because the vacation fund is actually something we could use, and I'd rather someone tell me "Hey yeah instead of that 8 slice toaster, just donate to our honeymoon." I wouldn't be offended at all, I'd be more upset if I found out I bought them something just because everyone was bitching at them to register for it.

The part that baffles me most is that nobody thought the vacation fund was a bad idea. All mom's and old people involved with helping plan said they had been to going-away showers like that before. So what was the problem? Argh!

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

4 days to go to my wedding. All paid for.

My uncle and his partner are not coming now. And we had to hear this from my Nana (Grandma).

What the hell, we paid $200 for him and his partner to come, and he is being a petty child.

I don't even want to tell my girlfriend - she got pissy that someone face to face told us they couldn't make it.

What the hell - if you cant make it, and you are invited to the meal, surely you would have some common sense.

Or is that just me?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

ElanoreMcMantis posted:

Bridal showers are kind of rear end. My friends are mostly males, and even though I managed to not invite the 140 old ladies and various people my mom was trying to insist on, out of the 60 invited, about 40 of them are people I don't know from his family, or people I barely know. It was hard trying to decide which people from my old neighborhood to invite, because they all were a huge part of my life, but since I moved I hardly see them. My MOH said she thought I did a good job doing the list, but I still worry like 8 people will show up and I'll feel like a huge loser. I am still mad she wouldn't let me just invite all my guy friends.

I've been to a Jack and Jill wedding shower and it was pretty laid back. We did split up the girls and guys for a bit. The girls played a few shower games and the guys played XBox or something. The rest of the day was a normal BBQ except for presents. It was a relief for me because I only knew the bride and none of her family or friends.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

On a unrelated note, I got my pictures back today so I'm going to plaster them all over the internet!

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

80k posted:

First, I agree that resizing is not a big concern. A lot of online jewelers will let you send it in for resizing for free or for a small fee.

The ring you linked does sound like an unbelievable deal. The center stone alone would probably normally cost more than double the price you are quoted for the whole ring, not to mention the setting and side stones.

I was thinking that too, but the seller has excellent feedback ratings and a 7-day money back guarantee. I suppose I could have it independently appraised and just return it if it's bogus.

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Well, I ordered wedding rings for both of us, and I didn't like the way mine looked. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go to some brick and mortar stores to try on some to see how they go with my engagement ring. Actually, does anyone here who's already married just wear their engagement ring by itself? I might just do that.

On a CalamityMom note, the place she was leaning on me to have my wedding at in Columbus went under just before Christmas. I can't imagine how panicked I'd be if I was trying to re-schedule the venue with under three months to go.

Other than a couple small things, I think we are pretty well set for the shindig in March. We're gonna do cupcakes on a stand with a small regular cake for the two of us to cut. These are the ones we're getting -yummm.

Gravitee posted:

On a unrelated note, I got my pictures back today so I'm going to plaster them all over the internet!

:woop:

Oodles posted:

What the hell - if you cant make it, and you are invited to the meal, surely you would have some common sense.

Or is that just me?

Don't take it personally, some people flake out. And I can understand disappointed, but I don't see the point of getting mad - at least they're putting word out in one way or another, instead of just being no-shows. :) Now someone gets to eat two entrees, I guess!

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

Gravitee posted:

I've been to a Jack and Jill wedding shower and it was pretty laid back. We did split up the girls and guys for a bit. The girls played a few shower games and the guys played XBox or something. The rest of the day was a normal BBQ except for presents. It was a relief for me because I only knew the bride and none of her family or friends.

This is what I'm hoping for. I went to a co-ed baby shower recently that was a bit awkward because the guys had to sit around and play the shower games and ooh and ahh at all the gifts, but the person planning that was really into formal occasions. I think my MoH can handle making a chill afternoon with tasty food, a few games for the ladies, and maybe rock band for the guys. And beer. I just want to hang out with my friends, really!

ElanoreMcMantis posted:

Where I live people will call you inconsiderate if you DON'T register. It happened to my soon to be sister in law, and she ended up registering at the last minute, and got everything on it and then some. She was pretty hacked off too, because her aunt actually told her off for not including registry info in the invites.
(snip)

The part that baffles me most is that nobody thought the vacation fund was a bad idea. All mom's and old people involved with helping plan said they had been to going-away showers like that before. So what was the problem? Argh!

As I understand it, some people just want to give gifts. They won't give cash under penalty of death, though they aren't offended by you wanting cash. They just won't participate. So either you provide a registry, or they stress out about what to give you. And I guess possibly yell at you.

You could do what we did - we did register for some house stuff, because we have a number of things that are hand me downs, and they aren't in good shape any more, and we can't really afford to upgrade everything right now. But once that was done, we registered for weird stuff. Camping gear, electronics, furniture, all sorts of fun crap. We used myregistry.com

And we also have a honeymoon fund, and I'm really hoping people will give us money because I want a honeymoon but we cant afford it right now. We didn't put enough gifts on the registry to cover 2 showers and the wedding, so I'm hoping people will get the point that we'd kinda like money, please.

I'd be perfectly happy to give people cash. But if I'm not giving cash, I'd love registry info to always be in the invitations or on the website if they have one. Always, always. I hate that it's considered "bad taste", because then I have to go ask them or their folks what they want, if they're registered, etc. Or I get them something weird, and they're like "uhhhhhh... thanks." Etiquette should not outweigh practicality.

This whole registering thing is a bit of a clusterfuck, but now that I've committed to it, I sure hope people use it. I want my teflon-free pots and pans, dammit.

Oodles posted:

4 days to go to my wedding. All paid for.

My uncle and his partner are not coming now. And we had to hear this from my Nana (Grandma).

What the hell, we paid $200 for him and his partner to come, and he is being a petty child.

I don't even want to tell my girlfriend - she got pissy that someone face to face told us they couldn't make it.

Or is that just me?

Yeah, that's pretty lovely. But not unusual. At the last wedding I went to, the groom's entire table of school friends just completely failed to show up. And one of my close friends completely failed to inform the couple that he couldn't make it (I didn't know this in advance, unfortunately). People are scared to say they aren't coming, I think, if they've already RSVP'd, and then they either leave it till the last minute to tell the couple or just don't bother.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Couldn't you just register for a bunch of stuff, then return it to the store? Or would that not be possible without receipts?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

moana posted:

Couldn't you just register for a bunch of stuff, then return it to the store? Or would that not be possible without receipts?

Many places like Bed Bath and Beyond have liberal registry returns. You can return without a receipt as long as it's on your registry. I even had some friends who received stuff they didn't like, put it on their registry online, and returned it no problem.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

moana posted:

See I considered that, but from what I understand from other showers I've been to is that you unwrap all the gifts in front of everyone. I'd worry his mom would see what I got, I'd return it, and then she'd notice I did it when she was over visiting or whatever. Plus I'd feel really bad doing it. I've been thinking about it off and on and I figure it'll work itself out. If people get miffed that I didn't do a huge registry oh well, they'll eventually get over it. My friends all understand, so aside from various moms badgering me, I don't see the distant aunts/uncles/church ladies all that often.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

moana posted:

Gravitee pretty much covered this, but yeah, it depends on the store. We made a bit of a mistake by registering at a store because my fiance's cousin works there, and their completion policy sucks. Their return policy probably does too, but I have to double check that (edit: yes, yes it does). So if anyone is planning on registering anywhere, please make sure their return policies and completion programs are good.

LittleCat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 26, 2009

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

LittleCat posted:

...please make sure their return policies and completion programs are good.

The good thing is that we get 10% of whatever our registry is as a store gift certificate. A lot of people register at walmart, I dont think they do anything special.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Bambi posted:

Too good to be true, or what? For what it's worth the seller seems pretty reputable.

In this scenario I would be careful. That price is most definitely too good to be true. Ask if the stone has any enhancements - Many eBay sellers like to sell fracture filled diamonds as "Natural Enhanced."

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
What about a honeymoon registry?

My friends did something like that - http://www.honeymoonwishes.com/ and it was a great idea!

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Bambi posted:

It's a 14k white gold band with a .77 carat center stone (G/VS2), .40 carats of side diamonds and .30 carats of tanzanite sidestones. The seller is asking $900. Now like I said, I don't know much about these things, but from my casual browsing of rings online that seems like an unbelievable deal. Too good to be true, or what? For what it's worth the seller seems pretty reputable.

I am skeptical of this. The diamond alone should be well over 900 at .77, and Tanzanite is very rare. Not to mention, you don't want tanzanite in a claw setting. If you want tanzanite in a ring it needs to be bezel set because its very soft and will crack.

If you dig blue stones look for sapphires, they are very hard. I generally don't trust ebay for anything... I am kinda skeptical. I am more inclined to trust online retailers like thenaturalsapphirecompany.com and, whats the diamond one thats good?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Farewell Horizon posted:

I am skeptical of this. The diamond alone should be well over 900 at .77, and Tanzanite is very rare. Not to mention, you don't want tanzanite in a claw setting. If you want tanzanite in a ring it needs to be bezel set because its very soft and will crack.

If you dig blue stones look for sapphires, they are very hard. I generally don't trust ebay for anything... I am kinda skeptical. I am more inclined to trust online retailers like thenaturalsapphirecompany.com and, whats the diamond one thats good?

Although Tanzanites are rare, the sizes that are on that ring can be had for pretty cheap. You could easily find pear-shaped ones like that for under $40 each. But yea, Tanzanites in a ring that is worn everyday is probably a bad idea.

Also yea, something fishy about that price, mostly in regards to the diamond.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Seller says the diamonds are not enhanced in any way, are completely natural, and offered a 14 day money back guarantee. They also have 98.9% positive feedback with over 1200 transactions, most of them diamond jewelry. But if you guys say something is fishy then I'm inclined to believe you. I didn't know that about Tanzanite either - I wanted to get it because it's my fiancee-to-be's birthstone, but if it shouldn't be in a ring like that then it shouldn't be in a ring like that.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Also if I were to hypothetically (don't worry, I don't intend to) buy an "enhanced" diamond ring, what are the drawbacks besides the lower value? Is it basically tantamount to buying a CZ? Will a seasoned onlooker be able to tell? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a feel for this whole thing so I can make an informed decision! For instance I've seen some on eBay described as "clarity enhanced" - what does this mean?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Bambi posted:

For instance I've seen some on eBay described as "clarity enhanced" - what does this mean?

There are a couple of ways to clarity enhance a diamond; most of which you'll find will be either fracture filled or laser drilled.

For fracture filling, if there's any kind of cavity, they fill it with a solution with a similar refractive index (an indicator of how it manipulates light), so that it looks like a diamond with no fillings. This is something you'll be able to tell when you look at the diamond under magnification; the substance they use to fill the cavities doesn't quite match up to the look of the diamond, and it's got an iridescence a bit like looking into an oil slick on the side of the road.

Laser drilling is when tiny drill holes are made in the diamond, and a chemical solution is poured in to either bleach or dissolve an inclusion. Then, once the inclusion is removed, the tiny drill hole is filled with another solution with similar light play, like in fracture filling. Again, you can tell if something's been laser drilled if you magnify it; you'll see little trails through the diamond that looked like extremely tiny anthill tunnels.

From eye length, neither of these things are extremely bothersome if done well enough, but if you buy a clarity enhanced diamond, you should always disclose that fact to anyone who works on it in the future (sizing/mounting/etc), because the diamonds are more fragile when clarity enhanced, and the treatments can be cause for damage if not handed properly.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Bambi posted:

Seller says the diamonds are not enhanced in any way, are completely natural, and offered a 14 day money back guarantee. They also have 98.9% positive feedback with over 1200 transactions, most of them diamond jewelry. But if you guys say something is fishy then I'm inclined to believe you. I didn't know that about Tanzanite either - I wanted to get it because it's my fiancee-to-be's birthstone, but if it shouldn't be in a ring like that then it shouldn't be in a ring like that.

If you want to get tanzanite in a ring, there is a practical alternative. You can get very fine quality synthetic (lab-grown, so it's genuine, but not natural) gemstones at a cheap price. Tanzanites are not available in synthetic form yet, but they have managed to make synthetic corundum's (same gem family as sapphire/ruby) with a tanzanite color. So you'll essentially have a tanzanite colored sapphire.

On that note, it might be worth trying to figure out your fiancee-to-be's thoughts on jewelry and gems. My wife hates spending too much on jewelry. She just wants it to be beautiful and durable; so she chose moissanites instead of diamonds, and synthetic gemstones instead of their natural counterparts. You save a lot of money and don't have to worry as much about stones getting loose and falling out (since replacing them is much cheaper).

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

80k posted:

If you want to get tanzanite in a ring, there is a practical alternative. You can get very fine quality synthetic (lab-grown, so it's genuine, but not natural) gemstones at a cheap price. Tanzanites are not available in synthetic form yet, but they have managed to make synthetic corundum's (same gem family as sapphire/ruby) with a tanzanite color. So you'll essentially have a tanzanite colored sapphire.

Yeah but you could also get a natural tanzanite colored sapphire. Natural Sapphires are heat treated to bring about colors, and heat treating stones isn't considered an enhancement. Why bother with synthetic when you can get real!?

See:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Pinkish-Purple/Round/stoneid=U2550

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Violet/Radiant/stoneid=U296

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Purple/Oval/stoneid=U2543

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Purple/Radiant/stoneid=U2533

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Purple/Round/stoneid=U2289

Go to thenaturalsapphire.com, click the sapphires drop down menu on the top right hand side, hit 'unique', then filter the colors you are interested in.

If you feel confident that the ring isn't a scam, go ahead, but have it appraised as soon as you get it so that you can return it if need be. My main concern is the tanzanites. They are quite soft and if you bang a stone set in a claw like that, it could very well crack. Aren't tanzanites about the prettiest things you've ever seen though?!

This is a good setting for a tanzanite:

http://www.jewelryexpert.com/CATALOG/graphics/Tanzanite-Tingle-Ring-13.gif

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

I'm guessing most people reading this thread are currently not married, but if anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

I don't know if I've mentioned, but my fiance and I recently found out we'll be on the hook for paying for the alcohol for our wedding. We thought his parents were paying for it, but long story short, they're not - hopefully I at least got my bridezilla meltdown out of the way with that little issue. The coordinator at our venue is on vacation till mid-February, so I'm not sure what our options will be, but our wedding's in late April so we need to have our money situation sorted ASAP.

We've got 120 guests coming, max. I'm hoping it'll be closer to 100, but we haven't made the final decision on +1s yet.

So how the heck do I budget for this? We're hoping to do two bottles of wine on each table at dinner, which I have a cost for, and a limited bar - wine, beer, and probably a signature cocktail. Assuming our venue is going to allow us to do that, how many drinks should I expect per person? Does anyone have any ballparks for how much that cost them/will cost them/cost their friends? I want to make sure we're not going to screw ourselves, here, but I'd rather not do a cash bar if possible.

Jems
Mar 23, 2005

Duckling, darling.

tvb posted:

A short wedding story, and advice for the broke guys like me.

I just got married on December 18th. My fiancee and I are both college students who had been engaged over 2 years. We were going to have to finance the entire wedding ourselves, which as we found out, is pretty much impossible for people under our circumstances.

So we said to hell with it. Our wedding was to be in May 2009, and an event that was supposed to be one of the happiest of our lives was something we couldn't even stand to think about anymore. We decided to elope.

We booked a [relatively] cheap trip to New York City, where we stayed for a week as our honeymoon/Christmas gift to each other. Our first day there we applied for our marriage license, and 24 hours later we were married in jeans at City Hall. We hired a super-cheap amateur photographer to follow us for a few hours, and it was perfect.

If you're in a tough situation with the wedding planning — you're young, you have no money, your family isn't supportive, etc - I cannot stress enough that eloping is wonderful. Our ceremony was intimate, romantic, and very personal despite what most might expect to the contrary. Looking back, for two people who so closely rely on one another, I honestly can't imagine doing it any other way, even if we'd had the means. I'm not saying that this is for everyone, or that having a lavish or expensive or traditional wedding is unwise. But I can definitely say that if you and your significant other have ever considered it, it isn't something you're likely to regret.

I'm sorry I know this is like 4 pages back but I had to ask, just out of curiosity, and honestly no offense is meant by this at all, and I REALLY do actually mean that. If you are so broke, why are (were) you in such a rush to get married? I am probably about your age, and it's mind boggling why there is such a rush for so many people to do this.

Does anyone else feel that rush? Why? I don't understand that and it really tugs at my curiousity.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

Jems posted:

I'm sorry I know this is like 4 pages back but I had to ask, just out of curiosity, and honestly no offense is meant by this at all, and I REALLY do actually mean that. If you are so broke, why are (were) you in such a rush to get married? I am probably about your age, and it's mind boggling why there is such a rush for so many people to do this.

Does anyone else feel that rush? Why? I don't understand that and it really tugs at my curiousity.

I'll bite. My fiancé and I can not afford our wedding. If it weren't for my folks covering the large majority, we'd be eloping. I just graduated last spring, and I'm only working part time while paying off student loans and trying to get my freelance career off the ground, so money is tight.

We could have waited longer and saved up for the wedding, but I don't feel (and this is just for me, I am not judging anyone else here) that a long engagement is a good idea. I've seen way too many people with someone they'd been with for five or ten years, engaged but without a date or a real plan. It took a long time for my fiancé to come around to the idea of marriage, so when he proposed, we knew it was time to set a date and make it happen.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

We're getting married pretty young, 22 and 23, and we certainly feel a rush to get married. Of course, we're going through the immigration process and are legally required to wed within 90 days of his entry to the U.S. So we don't really have a choice. We either have to do a transatlantic long distance relationship for another few years, or go for it. Hello, elopement! We're waiting to throw our big family receptions until after we're a bit more settled. I refuse to go into debt for a wedding we can't afford.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
To add to the sapphire post earlier, this is my ring (a year after we discussed and decided to get married):

It's a medium color, ~0.9 carat, VVS2, white gold band. I fantasized about a Tiffany ring since adolescence but when I looked more at diamond alternatives, colored stones were very appealing since they're more interesting, make a stronger statement, and depending on what gemstone and quality, are very affordable. Finances weren't much an object but I'm glad we ended up getting a ~$1250 ring. (Although I kind of regret I didn't size at Tiffany's--since this ring was ordered online, it ended up being a little big and I had a scare this weekend in the midst of laundry....)

jomiel fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 28, 2009

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
^^ That is absolutely lovely. My ring is a sapphire too and I love it. You should take it to a jewellers to be resized soon and then you won't have to worry about it being too loose.

Is anyone at the stage where they can't really do anything for a while? I've booked my photographer, church, and reception, but my wedding isn't until April 2010 and it's too early to start thinking about anything else (like centerpieces etc). I'm thinking once my exams are over in May I can start planning more.

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

CagedLiberty posted:

Is anyone at the stage where they can't really do anything for a while? I've booked my photographer, church, and reception, but my wedding isn't until April 2010 and it's too early to start thinking about anything else (like centerpieces etc). I'm thinking once my exams are over in May I can start planning more.
Yup, that's us, too. It seems like there was a TON of stuff to do a year in advance (venue and registrar booking plus giving notice on top of the wedding party notification stuff), but now there's not much to do until the summer. We were going to send out Save the Dates around now, but with my health problems, we're going to have to wait to send out invitations until the last minute just to make sure I'll be well enough for it.

Speaking of, when is the latest we can acceptably send out invitations? Everyone who's coming from overseas already knows the date, it's just a formality... Our wedding will (hopefully still) be 19 Sept 2009.

squirrellypoo fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 28, 2009

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

ElanoreMcMantis posted:

I'm not trying to be ungrateful, and getting gifts is nice, but I don't see why people should go out and spend money on things we really don't need. I tried explaining this to everyone who was bitching and they said "Oh just pick out some new curtains or whatever."

100% Exactly this..

We were really into the wedding thing when we started planning last year.. We're doing it all ourselves and estimate the cost around $15k in the end..

Now, as the date approaches (July), both of us wished we just went and eloped.. Too many deposits are down already to back out.

The #1 concern is that this wedding is going to drain our savings, and with the housing market so low right now, we should have been buying a house at the moment, instead we have to hope and pray that we can at least make back half of the wedding costs.

I really wanted to put a note to ask for money, but everyone thought that would be rude.. We've been together almost 8 years and lived together for 3.. We don't need household stuff.. What we really need is down payment money..

Such a frustrating situation.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

FidgityRat - here's what I did. Some people may find it rude, but I've got nothing but good reactions so far. I put on the RSVP card a line saying "visit www.ourwebsiteurl.com to RSVP, and for directions, registry information and more." From the wedding website, I linked to myregistry.com, which is a nice little online registry service that allows you to set up a cash gift fund that goes directly to your paypal with no extra fees. There I explained that if people want to give us cash, we'd love to go on a honeymoon, and anything they wanted to contribute would be fantastic (or something along those lines).

I did this on top of a regular (if small) gift registry, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it, change "honeymoon" to "down payment" and skip the gift registry. People will get obnoxious about that, as ElanoreMcMantis is experiencing, but at least they'll get the hint. And most people won't be offended. Maybe give your folks a small "wish list" of stuff you could use (everyone needs a few things, but think outside the box if necessary) that they can give to people who will be really unhappy about the lack of a gift registry. They'll probably go to your folks to find out what you need.

As far as I can tell, the big etiquette issue about asking for money/gifts is not doing it IN the invitation. That's what people tend to get pissy about the most. So do it on a website instead!

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

LittleCat posted:

FidgityRat - here's what I did. Some people may find it rude, but I've got nothing but good reactions so far. I put on the RSVP card a line saying "visit https://www.ourwebsiteurl.com to RSVP, and for directions, registry information and more." From the wedding website, I linked to myregistry.com, which is a nice little online registry service that allows you to set up a cash gift fund that goes directly to your paypal with no extra fees. There I explained that if people want to give us cash, we'd love to go on a honeymoon, and anything they wanted to contribute would be fantastic (or something along those lines).

This is a great idea. I did a wedding website and linked all my registry information to it. I didn't do a Paypal link, but if I did, I would just explain that the money would be going toward a house down payment or honeymoon so people don't think you are using it for a new xbox. (On a side note, a couple who we are friends with who are getting married this summer registered exclusively for DVDs, games, and other electronic devices. I'm not sure if that is really cool or not.)

I would say that 50% of my wedding gifts were in the form of cash which was nice. 100% of my shower gifts were off the registry though.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

Gravitee posted:

This is a great idea. I did a wedding website and linked all my registry information to it. I didn't do a Paypal link, but if I did, I would just explain that the money would be going toward a house down payment or honeymoon so people don't think you are using it for a new xbox. (On a side note, a couple who we are friends with who are getting married this summer registered exclusively for DVDs, games, and other electronic devices. I'm not sure if that is really cool or not.)

I would say that 50% of my wedding gifts were in the form of cash which was nice. 100% of my shower gifts were off the registry though.

Thanks! I'm glad that so far no one's found it particularly crass.

And I'm really glad to hear that a) so many people gave cash and b)people bought gifts off your registry. I'm thinking most of the people coming to the couple's shower we're having won't bother, but I've got my fingers crossed that most of our family members will.

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

LittleCat posted:

myregistry.com and etiquette
This idea is so awesome I may have to steal it. We also absolutely do not need any more stuff, but do need assistance with a down payment on a house or future-house related expenses (solar panels would be sweet). I especially like the idea of having a small list of stuff on the registry for the people who don't feel comfortable just giving cash. Thanks!

EDIT: Is anyone else hand-making their own invitations? Last weekend we bought all of the materials for our invitations (a total of 60) at Michael's Arts and Crafts for a whopping $25 (this includes the envelopes)! I was completely thrilled at how cheap it turned out costing. Once I actually get to work putting everything together, I will definitely post some pictures of the final product. Hopefully they won't be embarrassingly ugly...

Emilar fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 28, 2009

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

jomiel posted:

:swoon: thats gorgeous, where did you get it?

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
That ring is drool worthy. I always thought I wanted a (antique or non conflict) diamond ring, but I kinda want a sapphire now.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I'm all over the sapphire engagement ring, I think they just look so classy.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Thanks for the ring love! :) We bought a pre-set ring from the site mentioned earlier (http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Sapphire-Jewelry/Sapphire-Rings/) since my fiance avoids physical shopping as much as possible, haha. They only give you their store certificate though (instead of an actual GIA or whatever), but we figured it probably doesn't really matter since the ring isn't that expensive (relatively!).

Emilar posted:

EDIT: Is anyone else hand-making their own invitations? Last weekend we bought all of the materials for our invitations (a total of 60) at Michael's Arts and Crafts for a whopping $25 (this includes the envelopes)! I was completely thrilled at how cheap it turned out costing. Once I actually get to work putting everything together, I will definitely post some pictures of the final product. Hopefully they won't be embarrassingly ugly...
Please post pictures! :D

As soon as we find a time and place (basically like all the hard decisions), I am so doing this, and I was also thinking about carving a custom stamp/sponge to spice the invitations up a little.

Did anyone have their wedding at home, or planning a wedding at home? I was looking at restaurants and state parks, but my parents thought it would be easier to have it at home. I think it has great possibilities (most notably in food and entertainment)--but my parents' house is not super big nor fancy, and what should we do about renting picnic tables and maybe cover up the backyard grass so people's heels won't sink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

jomiel posted:

Thanks for the ring love! :) We bought a pre-set ring from the site mentioned earlier (http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Sapphire-Jewelry/Sapphire-Rings/) since my fiance avoids physical shopping as much as possible, haha. They only give you their store certificate though (instead of an actual GIA or whatever), but we figured it probably doesn't really matter since the ring isn't that expensive (relatively!).

I've actually only heard great things about thenaturalsapphirecompany.com. I've done some reading and looking around and their prices are competetive and appropriate. I've heard rumors that they will actually arange to send stones to a third party gem place / jeweller for you to have it looked at or appraised prior to committing to purchasing it, but I've never tried.

I love browsing their site.