Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl
In the beginning you can just use whatever really. As you get farther, you'll probably want to have one guy for each element. One thing that really helps is keeping around a Persona that can use all four elemental skills. A good one to start out with is Lilim. Fuse Pixie x Nekomata to get Forneus (don't get it from Shuffle) then fuse that Forneus (with Bufu) x Angel (with Garu) to get a Lilim with Agi, Zio, Bufu, and Garu. This is a pretty good thing to keep around and update as the game goes on, and can make getting all-out attacks in random battles much easier. For the Answer it's practically required. Other notable personas who can do this easily are Pale Rider and Loki, but experiment.

Having a healer persona is a good idea later in the game. Saki Mitama and Titania are excellent early healers. Saki Mitama learns Mediarama before anyone else. Titania learns Divine Grace, which significantly increases any healing done, and makes her useful until the end of the game. Transferring Divine Grace and Mediarama from her to someone else makes them a potent healer as well.

Don't worry too much about resistances and such until later on. Once you get farther in the game, it will definitely pay off to have a persona or two that's immune to light or dark. Most enemies only use one or two elements, and it should be easy to equip one that isn't weak to those through normal play. What I'm trying to say is you generally don't need to pay attention to your own persona's resistances when creating new ones: if you're up against a boss that uses fire, you probably have a persona that resists fire in your inventory whether you planned it that way or not.

Figure out the 3 people you want to use in your party and don't bother with anyone else. The equipment tax is pretty high in this game. You should try to spread out your elemental strengths, like, don't bring the two fire users to the same party. Also important is spreading out elemental weaknesses: Yukari and Aigis are both weak to lightning, so don't make a party with them both. My favorite party is Yukari, Akihiko, and Mitsuru.
Once you've figured out this party, fuse weapons that make them resist the element that they're weak to. For example, fusing a nihil bow with a Tower persona gets you a bow that's resistant to lightning, which is perfect for Yukari. You can continually update this weapon with new higher level persona.

Salt Block Party fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Salt Block Party posted:

Figure out the 3 people you want to use in your party and don't bother with anyone else. The equipment tax is pretty high in this game.

While the rest of your post contains fantastic advice, I really disagree with this part. Persona 3 is possibly the most lenient JRPG when it comes to experience points. If a party member is 10 or more levels behind, it will still rarely take more than a few battles to catch them up once you unlock a new block. Equipment is expensive, but I can't think of a time where I didn't have at least the second best available and by the end of the game, you're drowning in money anyway.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just got Skate 2 and Force Unleashed from Gamefly today. The Skate 2 thread has a few tips in the OP, but are there anything addition to know for the two games?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I don't know if this has been said yet, but for Star Ocean 3:

Explore the entirety of all the maps you come to, even the mountains outside of Airyglyph when the plot tells you you need to run. The soldiers wandering the map are tough and if you're not good at the game's combat system, they WILL kill you, but you can still explore it. Exploring the entirety of a map gives you a scale bunny (or something like that, I don't remember what it's called, it's been a while). You can then go back into Airyglyph, sell the bunnies, and then buy Fayt (and maybe even Cliff or Nel, I don't remember if you end up having enough) weapons that they're not supposed to have until well into disc 1. Your characters (that you bought weapons for, I recommend Fayt at least) will be absurdly overpowered throughout a good portion of the first disc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Nope, RBA Starblade, you're by far the most powerful thing in the wasteland at this point. In fact, if you already have Fawkes, you're almost done with the main quest, and there aren't any tough battles remaining. The last mission doesn't require you to be armed with much more than a peashooter.

On Very Hard if you don't bother with other party members but Dogmeat like me than Tesla Armored soldiers and Deathclaws sort of suck. So do Super Mutant Masters. And Mr. Gutsy if you don't have a pulse grenade.

I should've said relatively hard though.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

WardeL posted:

I don't know if this has been said yet, but for Star Ocean 3:

Explore the entirety of all the maps you come to, even the mountains outside of Airyglyph when the plot tells you you need to run. The soldiers wandering the map are tough and if you're not good at the game's combat system, they WILL kill you, but you can still explore it. Exploring the entirety of a map gives you a scale bunny (or something like that, I don't remember what it's called, it's been a while). You can then go back into Airyglyph, sell the bunnies, and then buy Fayt (and maybe even Cliff or Nel, I don't remember if you end up having enough) weapons that they're not supposed to have until well into disc 1. Your characters (that you bought weapons for, I recommend Fayt at least) will be absurdly overpowered throughout a good portion of the first disc.

You can get one of those Scale Bunnies from every map you fully explore, giving you an unnoticeable +5% movement speed in battle. They don't stack with one another**, meaning if you care about the 5% you only have to keep 1 and sell the others, or just sell them all if you don't care.

**Except for the 1/1 Scale Bunny, which halves your speed while you have it in your inventory. However it sells for several hundred thousand so deal with it until you can unload it.

Champinave
Jul 26, 2008
I just picked up Pokemon Diamond for the first time yesterday (no joke); any pointers?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Rirse posted:

Just got Skate 2 and Force Unleashed from Gamefly today. The Skate 2 thread has a few tips in the OP, but are there anything addition to know for the two games?

Beating "Can you spell Girl?" isn't worth the anguish.

Pump into transitions with the triggers.

Fray Joker
Nov 3, 2007

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.

Champinave posted:

I just picked up Pokemon Diamond for the first time yesterday (no joke); any pointers?

Keep a good mix of types on your team and keep the moves mixed up. You should have a super-effective attack for all occasions. Don't stress about which Pokemon you should be getting. If you like the look of something, and it's got a type that suits your team. Give it a go. If it turns out to be a waste of time, at least you've put EXP towards evolving it for pokedex data. Just catch something else and level it instead.

Always keep a good supply of poke-balls on you. Dark, Timer and Ultra balls are vital to capturing legendaries, each have an equivalent boost in capture rate when used appropriately. (Dark balls at night, Timer late in battle and Ultra as a general all-occasion ball.)

Make sure you pick up something that's reasonably speedy and can put a pokemon to sleep. Something like an Alakazam is ideal. But that will be vital to catching roaming legendaries later on.

Pokemon who use an attack that matches their type get a significant boost in power known as a same-type attack bonus. Each pokemon in your team should have access to a STAB move. If you have a dual type, take advantage of that.

Starter is your personal choice, however bear in mind the only decent fire-type you can add to your team along the way is Ponyta who isn't at all that fantastic when compared to Chimchar. A fire type is certainly worth having in the late game, so unless you have your heart set on one of the others, go for Chimchar.

Pokemon's really not too hard a game. Even if you're under-levelled as long as you can keep taking advantage of STAB and opponent weaknesses there isn't going to be much that will pose a challenge.

So no-one has any good tips for Etrian Odyssey II?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Does anyone have any tips or mods that I should get for the first time through Rome- Total War with both expansions? I've played Civ IV before, if that would help me on the world map any.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Quake, Quake 2, and Quake 3 Arena

-Don't stop moving. Ever.(all)
-Rail guns are always dead on accurate, and hit instantly, insta-gibbing. (all)
-Shoot a rocket at your feet and jump at the same time for a super jump. (all)
-In close combat, the shotgun can be your friend. (Quake 3 Arena)
-The Super Nail Gun shoots at 2x speed and power, but uses 2x the ammo. (Quake)
-The pistol never runs out of ammo. (Quake 2)

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
Does Final Fantasy Tactics A-2 have any permanent unmissables? FFTA was chock full of them, for example thundrakes and goblins stopped appearing after a while and lots of items required a specific setup of the map's nodes to acquire.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Champinave posted:

Fray Joker has some good advice, but if you want to get through the game as fast as possible (so you can unlock Pal Park and the other post-E4 stuff), pick Chimchar and only use him (allow him to evolve, of course). You can still catch all the pokemon you want, but only use the monkey for trainer battles. He will very quickly surpass everything in terms of power and stay that way for the entire game, even against the Elite Four.

Of course, having one god-like pokemon makes catching lesser pokemon somewhat tricky since he'll likely one-shot them all...

Champinave
Jul 26, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

Fray Joker has some good advice, but if you want to get through the game as fast as possible (so you can unlock Pal Park and the other post-E4 stuff), pick Chimchar and only use him (allow him to evolve, of course). You can still catch all the pokemon you want, but only use the monkey for trainer battles. He will very quickly surpass everything in terms of power and stay that way for the entire game, even against the Elite Four.

Of course, having one god-like pokemon makes catching lesser pokemon somewhat tricky since he'll likely one-shot them all...
Well THATS boring. So aside from all the cool online stuff, this is just same ole pokemon. Wonderful!

Arigot
Apr 6, 2007
Watoof?

CloseFriend posted:

Persona 3
· When the choice comes up, don't hug Yukari.

Is there a way you can explain this without really spoiling much?

I'm only like 11 or so hours into the game. I finished my first full-moon cycle and went through the first set of midterms, so I'm obviously not far enough to understand the significance of this, but if there's a way you could elaborate on why you shouldn't hug her without spoiling anything, PLEASE do so.

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

Gears of War 2 - Reaching level 50 on Horde
This should be a good one stop guide for anyone who hasn't played Horde and wants all the info you learn by playing it a lot. This is probably a little too detailed, so I've bolded the very important stuff.

Resource 1 : Shields
- Use the shields to block yourself in somewhere, and you instantly reduce the number of Locusts who can attack you... specifically:(Mauler/Flamethrower/Bloodmount/Wretch/Ticker)
- Take note of your surroundings. Where can 1-2 shields be placed to completely block the Locusts path?
- Plant shields backwards so that the normal Locusts can't kick them down. This is why everyone creates walls of shields, to make sure the normal Locusts can't get around them and kick them down, opening the floodgates.
- When the round starts, you have 15 seconds to pickup and replant shields or they will disappear. Each person can keep up with around 3 shields using this method, but you probably won't need that many.
- Once you're blocked in, you can start thinking about using shields to limit the Hordes firing angles, placing them at any open spots where they have clear shots.

Resource 2 : Ammo
- From around round 20 all the way to 50 ammo gets harder and harder to get, alleviate this a little bit by leaving a wretch alive if they are the last enemy left or leave another Locusts bleeding out so everyone can run around and restock.
- Head shots still count for extra damage even though it doesn't look much different in the later rounds.
- Always use mortars/hammer/mulcher/boomshot if available, they are far superior weapons. Just pick em up and empty them even if you don't like using them.

Other Important Stuff
- A quiet team is a dead team.
- Kill boomers first. (And let everyone know when you see them)
- Stay close together but not within slapping distance. Splash damage from boomshots, grenades and mauler strikes can take down an entire team if they are together.
- Help your teammates up but don't make any epic quests across the map to save someone, especially in later rounds. (One dead teammate is better than 2 dead teammates.)
- Roaming death squads don't make it to 50 (but it IS fun)
- HAVE FUN. This thing takes forever, have some fun or everyone will be zoning out by 50.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

Infected
- Boomer: Your death explosion doesn't have a very long range, and any active stream of vomit vanishes when you die. Either sneak up on the survivors or get the drop on them. You get credit for damage that normal infected inflict on survivors that are under the effect of your vomit/explosion.
To add to this, if at all possible when spawning as a Boomer, try to find a high place that the survivors will be walking beneath. If you fall far enough you'll die, exploding all over a very unsuspecting crew of survivors. Try not to spawn until just before you're about to make the leap though, as the Boomer is noisy as hell and will give you away before long (also AI survivors have a higher chance of spotting you before you hit the ground since they have bullshit super-human senses).

Not something to go out of your way to attempt, but if you see the opportunity, and the survivors are bunched up enough that it'll hit 3 or 4 of them, then take it.

Arzy posted:

Fallout 3

If you want to play the game on easy mode tag Energy Weapons and complete the "Replicated Man" quest in Rivet City and get the Android's Plasma Rifle. Turns the game into a complete joke. If you have the right perks, you basically 1 or 2 shot everything.
Are there any super weapons like this for a character going heavily into small arms? I noticed the Lincoln Repeater being mentioned, is that something to look into?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Are there any super weapons like this for a character going heavily into small arms? I noticed the Lincoln Repeater being mentioned, is that something to look into?

The repeater honestly isn't all that good. It uses .44 ammo, which is a bit rare and better used for the Blackhawk.

I'm not sure if you can get the Blackhawk as early as you can get the named plasma rifle, though.

Apr 24, 2008

Does anybody have any tips for Godhand's last boss?
I found the game pretty doable until this guy but I can only get him to about half health.

Also, requesting Beyond Good and Evil.

edit- oh and Hitman: Blood Money. Even on rookie that game seems really hard to me. I've only played the first one before.

6025 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 27, 2009

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Can I request Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead?

Mass Effect:

* The achievements that aren't story progression give you awesome in-game bonuses. Make sure to get them. All achievements like "use skill X 75 times" or "kill 150 enemies with X weapon" have to be done by Shepard. The "ally" achievements will require you to use the desired party members for almost the whole game; don't do any side quests ("assignments") until you have the two you want. Then keep them both in your active group at all times.

* 99% of the things you can buy in stores are useless. You get so many items just by exploring that you will never need to buy normal things. The exceptions are (1) the permanent upgrades to your healing item and grenade capacity; and (2) "Spectre" class weapons, which you can begin buying once you've amassed one million credits.

* A corollary to the above is that you will always have tons of stuff to sell. Don't be shy pawning off your inventory--you'll get many, many more items to make up for it. Also, selling things helps you reach the one million credit mark more quickly.

* The "Spectre" weapons you can buy once you've hit one million credits are the best weapons in the game. Save up for them and then splurge. (They come in two versions, VII and X. Version X weapons are better but won't be available until you're very high level.)

* The experience and credits you get for doing things scale with your level, so even if you skip side quests for a long time they'll still be worth doing.

* Have targets in mind when you allocate skill points. Your targets should always be ranks that unlock new skills or improve the skill's active ability.

* When you're on an uncharted planet, there are always more things to be found than your map lets on. Explore areas of the map that are far away from the marked locations--you'll find hidden stuff. This is critical for completing a few annoying item collection sidequests.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Anything I should know about Supreme Commander?

I'm just starting on the PC, had some minor frustrations with how the units move and a few dozen enemies getting spawned on me, but that's probably just my stupidity.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

6025 posted:

I found the game pretty doable until this guy but I can only get him to about half health.

edit- oh and Hitman: Blood Money. Even on rookie that game seems really hard to me. I've only played the first one before.
If you have trouble on Angra after dealing with Azel...I feel sorry for you.

You get a full recovery after beating Azel. Use those orbs and duck when he does his finger flick. You can also duck-dodge his fireballs at close range. You can double click right when he does that shockwave burst and get between the pillars of flame.

If it is Azel:
Abuse the sweep in your moves. Don't save your orbs and tension. Ducking when he attacks can be great setups for sweeps.
Run around like an idiot when he unleashes and use jump attacks when he gets to normal.

Hitman: Blood Money
If no one can see your face, they won't expect you to strangle them easily. They know who you are if they see behind them.
Turn around and duck if someone is approaching you.

You can sometimes walk into restricted areas and get shot at but they might leave you alone if you get out of there quickly and without being violent.

Wait for someone to lean over railings and push them off.

Sneak up behind people with your gun drawn and hold them, then knock them out and drag them away from open places. They will only get up if someone touches them if you didn't shoot the body.

Use weapons appropriate to the situation and uniform. This isn't like the older games.

Take your time in missions.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 27, 2009

Apr 24, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

If you have trouble on Angra after dealing with Azel...I feel sorry for you.

You get a full recovery after beating Azel. Use those orbs and duck when he does his finger flick. You can also duck-dodge his fireballs at close range. You can double click right when he does that shockwave burst and get between the pillars of flame.

If it is Azel:
Abuse the sweep in your moves. Don't save your orbs and tension. Ducking when he attacks can be great setups for sweeps.
Run around like an idiot when he unleashes and use jump attacks when he gets to normal.

Hitman: Blood Money
If no one can see your face, they won't expect you to strangle them easily. They know who you are if they see behind them.
Turn around and duck if someone is approaching you.

You can sometimes walk into restricted areas and get shot at but they might leave you alone if you get out of there quickly and without being violent.

Wait for someone to lean over railings and push them off.

Sneak up behind people with your gun drawn and hold them, then knock them out and drag them away from open places. They will only get up if someone touches them if you didn't shoot the body.

Use weapons appropriate to the situation and uniform. This isn't like the older games.

Take your time in missions.

Oh cool, didnt know you could push people off railings. That all helps

I am talking about Angra though! He just has too much health and I keep loving up when I try to dodge the finger flick thing.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

Mr E posted:

Does anyone have any tips or mods that I should get for the first time through Rome- Total War with both expansions? I've played Civ IV before, if that would help me on the world map any.

Oceanside cities are incredible for your economy. If you can get your hands on the Aegean Peninsula and Italy, you'll be basically set for cash. Keep upgrading your docks and roads. Identify cities with strong farming or mining bonuses and focus your farm/mine upgrades there.

I don't think they ever fixed the issues with overpopulation: eventually, your cities will grow so huge that they'll have massive negative happiness scores and will become basically unmanageable. You can either dick with the game files to fix this or abandon the city, let it revolt, recapture it, and then massacre the inhabitants. It's not pretty, but it's sometimes the only way to keep a city under control. Toward the later stages of the game, you can find yourself doing this about once every five years for cities like Rome or Athens, who tend to grow very, very quickly.

Plan your conquests one at a time. If you can expand consistently in one direction, you'll avoid the efforts of shifting around your powerful stacks and managing reinforcements in several directions simultaneously. Veterancy bonuses are incredibly potent, and having several legions of upgraded gold-chevron troops in a single stack will make you very difficult to overcome.

Speaking of veterancy, if you're Rome after building your first Imperial Palace you will undergo the reforms of Gaius Marius, which will turn your Republican tripartite armies into Imperial Legions. Your former troops will no longer be buildable or reinforceable. It sucks, but the troops to which you gain access following the event are stronger than those you used before, and you'll gain from it in the long run.

Divide and conquer. You can often bait enemy armies and slaughter them piecemeal. Try not to fight enemy armies where they can pile on you, because even with Rome's so-so AI you can get overwhelmed, especially if attacked from multiple directions by Roman Legions or Hellenic Hoplites.

Always have some cavalry in your stacks, even if you don't use it at all in the line of battle. Your infantry will not be able to effectively run down its fleeing counterparts, whereas cavalry will ruin poo poo. If you can rout an enemy army and kill off all their missile units while they retreat, you can walk all over them in follow-up attacks.

Speaking of which, two attacks in a single round will allow you to destroy an enemy stack. The first attack will cause them to retreat; the second will kill them.

Don't let AI reinforcements enter the battle with a general about whom you care at all, especially a king/emperor or other member of the royal family. The battle AI will rush your general and his bodyguards into the thick of battle and you will lose a seven-star commander and you will hate all programmers ever. If you absolutely can not keep reinforcements out of the battle, charge the enemy before your fellows can get there. Your legions can be replaced; your generals largely can not.

Ship-to-ship battles almost always come down to number of ships and veterancy. Build lots of ships if you plan to fight on the sea and sacrifice half of them in battle to turn the rest into veterans. They can be reinforced like ground units, so keep them at full strength as best you can.

Pin them in the center than roll up the flanks. There is no circumstance to which this is not applicable. It's certainly the quickest way to beat hoplites.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Arigot posted:

Is there a way you can explain this without really spoiling much?

I'm only like 11 or so hours into the game. I finished my first full-moon cycle and went through the first set of midterms, so I'm obviously not far enough to understand the significance of this, but if there's a way you could elaborate on why you shouldn't hug her without spoiling anything, PLEASE do so.
It's not a big deal. There are two opportunities, I think, when you get the dialogue option to hug Yukari. One is part of a very extended plot sequence - it's very obvious it's a plot sequence, and you will know when you get there - it doesn't matter if you hug her or not. It's one of those meaningless choices that happen all throughout the game during plot scenes. Hug her if you feel like it.

The other opportunity is during an event in her S-Link, if you choose to pursue her S-Link when it opens up later. Hers works just like any other S-Link in the game so it should be obvious when this happens. In this case, hugging her is not the best option and will annoy her. The only effect that hugging her here has is that it will take slightly longer to get to the next rank of her S-Link, which isn't really much of a consequence unless you are ridiculously min-maxing.

In short it doesn't matter and you should probably forget about it and go enjoy the game. As a side note, as opposed to the dialogue options in plot scenes, the dialogue options you get in S-Link scenes do matter - give the response you think the person wants to hear to make the S-Link skill up faster. For example, for the school discipline officer kid, just toady up to him all the time. For the various girls you can date, be charming and try to make them feel good.

Does anyone have some starter tips for Persona 4?

Salt Block Party fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 27, 2009

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

The Terrible Shotgun is pretty great. Shotgun ammo, and shotguns for repairing it, can be found all over the place and it does a ridiculous amount of damage as long as you can get close.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Salt Block Party posted:

Does anyone have some starter tips for Persona 4?

You can cruise through about 40-50% of the game with Black Frost.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Solitare:
- Right clicking on a card puts it up top. It's a lot easier and faster than dragging it.
- ALWAYS do draw 3. Draw 1 makes you a big pussy. So does outline dragging (XP Only).

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

GrumbleGrumble posted:

Gears of War 2 - Reaching level 50 on Horde
This should be a good one stop guide for anyone who hasn't played Horde and wants all the info you learn by playing it a lot. This is probably a little too detailed, so I've bolded the very important stuff.

Resource 1 : Shields
- Plant shields backwards so that the normal Locusts can't kick them down. This is why everyone creates walls of shields, to make sure the normal Locusts can't get around them and kick them down, opening the floodgates.

FYI, they patched this out with the TU. They are still useful though for keeping the larger enemies out.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

6025 posted:

Pummels do a lot of damage so put fast punches in your combo to quickly dizzy him. When he spits out demons use Palm Smash or Charged Punch > Mid-air roundhouse to quickly get rid of them. Use the back-dodge for his shockwave attack.

During your fight with Azel one of the pots will contain either a banana or strawberry so save it for Angra if you can. Also, one of the pots near the staircase leading up to Azel will always be a two-orb roulette card. Carry it into the fight with Azel if you already have full orbs.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Anybody got anything to say about the last boss of Yakuza 2?

So far its the most frustrating fight I've ever had in a video game

Lacermonia fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 27, 2009

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
This would be a good thread to point out which RPG bosses you're supposed to lose to. Nothing sucks more than spending 15 minutes putting up a super human effort and going through all of your potions against someone you have to lose to in order to advance the plot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bob Smith posted:

Front Mission (SNES/DS)

-> Your main character should either choose missiles or machine guns as his weapon focus. They offer the quickest ways of killing things, and as a result keep him alive.
-> Rifles are mostly useless unless you get Switch and Aim.
-> Guide is seriously broken beyond belief, so if you want a challenge don't abuse it.
-> Check carefully to see if your Arm melee damage is larger than your Melee weapon damage. It sometimes is.
-> Movement is better than Leg HP every time. Use high-HP bodies but high-Move legs.
-> Integrated weapons are useless most of the time.
-> There is only so much XP available in the game. Don't try to level up every character. Later in the game you will get some characters added to your party that you should just leave completely alone.
-> Characters only get XP for inflicting damage. So by the same token, don't use a handful of your best characters to kill everything. There's a point of diminishing returns where giving an already-mighty character more XP is less useful than giving a weaker character that crucial next level that grants them a new skill.
-> When you get Aim, go for the arms. An armless mech is helpless no matter how much leg and body HP it has.
-> Machineguns will attack multiple body parts. This makes them good for mopping up Wanzers that have taken non-crippling damage to crucial parts.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
Having been reminded of the game Dune by a Let's Play thread, you need only one or two troops doing ecology. They have a major effect, but it can all happen from so few.
Surprisingly, it is better have fewer spice producers in the really productive spaces than lots in all of the spaces. Once a space gets really dark brown, just let it go. You can squeeze more spice from it, but it isn't worth it. Let this trend guide your army buildup. Avoid attacking for as long as possible. Those sietchs north-east of the Palace? abandon them. The Harkonen will hit them soon. Focus you troops in the new areas in the west (opposite side of planet). Have the bulb-growers work just east of the palace. Lots of Harkonen north of you. Once you have a few thousand troops (say at least 3 to 5, start trying to spu and hit the Harks far west of you. Chani is not important. Just change jobs back and forth to reset the fremen's morale.

DO NOT PLANT BULBS IN THE SOUTH EVER NOR WHERE YOU PLAN TO SOON CAPTURE HARK FORTS.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements (360)

Keep at least two save files from different areas, ideally near the end of each stage. This can be useful if you forgot to pick up a relic or get a corrupted save.

gently caress STAGE FIVE. Stage Five is somewhat infamous for inducing a game-ruining glitch when leaving the collapsing cliff houses. The game may attempt to load the previous area and will hang without fail, locking up the system and requiring it be reset. The best solution is to save either before or at the start of the barricade area. I don't know the cause.

Save telekinesis scrolls for use on displaced statues. Statues are usually very happy to be returned to their pedestals.

Hatris (GB)

Use the fire even if you don't need it. If you score enough points with two fires stockpiled you will be given a samurai hat which flattens anything beneath it. The trouble is that the samurai hat will stay there forever and it takes up room. Samurai hat :argh:!

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004

ultrachrist posted:

I'm about to start playing Hitman: Blood Money if anyone wants to mention anything.

Leave absolutely no witnesses, also always keep your silenced silverballer on you. I play that game like a cleaner though, anyone in the way is in the way and must die.

Champinave
Jul 26, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

I'm just starting on the PC, had some minor frustrations with how the units move and a few dozen enemies getting spawned on me, but that's probably just my stupidity.

Make SURE you get Forged Alliance, SupCom's expansion. Everyone online will be playing it, and even if you are playing singleplayer it makes a hell of a difference.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

JawnV6 posted:

If you're playing the singleplayer, always save right before you complete the last of your current objectives. There _might_ be a sudden increase in enemy kicking-your-rear end right after. Several times I've discovered that forces totally adequate to the challenge I had been facing were no longer so.

Later on, make sure you've fully upgraded as much as you can before completing an objective.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Just got two games from the UK version of Gamefly for the XBOX 360 - Assassins' Creed and Mirror's Edge.

Anything important to know before I get started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Stumiester posted:

Just got two games from the UK version of Gamefly for the XBOX 360 - Assassins' Creed and Mirror's Edge.

Anything important to know before I get started?

For Assassin's Creed, don't lie to yourself that you're still having fun if you really aren't. Don't expect the game to change and get better, because it won't. What you start out doing is the same as what you're doing at the end of the game.

Some people enjoy it, some don't.