Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Here's the last two strips:

V: Go away, Imp.
Imp: No. Wanna be evil?
V: No.

Why did that take 24 panels? V's storyline immediately drags the pacing down to a glacial crawl every time it gets brought up and Burlew keeps on seeming to think that this plot is just awesomesauce and he should linger on it whenever possible. This isn't even writing for the trade; tell me that if you buy this collection, you're not going to say "Oh gently caress, V pages" and start immediately flipping ahead to something good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Right. I kind of like the whole V subplot, but it is just sitting there and not doing anything ever since V cast Invisibility.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I guess I like how he sets up these subplots and ends them quickly. Well, sort of quickly.

Erfworld > OOTS there I said it

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
If that wasn't supposed to be a sucker punch to all the people theorizing lichdome or whatever then I don't know what is. It was a very long and drawn out sucker punch sure but this is sort of his thing with fan predictions.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Say what you want about Erfworld, the man sets up a valid point: 4chan IS a giant nuclear explosion of poo poo.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I like the V subplot.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Cuchulain posted:

I like the V subplot.

We argue about every subplot and it's value for some reason. Most people tend to like them although a lot bitch about how long it takes for the issues to come out or how many strips it takes or both because if you can't bitch about free poo poo, what can you bitch about?

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Cuchulain posted:

I like the V subplot.

I like the subplot. I don't like how glacially it moves along.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?
Really, if V had taken him up on the offer, the last two strips would be moving the subplot along at a good clip. Instead, the way things turned out, they did the exact oposite. I think Burlew is going beyond messing with reader expectation. I think he is reading this thread laughing his rear end off at us. "Fifteen posts about how pissed off they are? Awesome!"

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Maybe we should talk about Erfworld then. That'll show him!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Maldraedior posted:

Maybe we should talk about Erfworld then. That'll show him!

Have you noticed how the author takes a traditional fantasy theme, and then adds pop culture and/or internet references?

Wow-ee! Gets me every time~!

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

PFlats posted:

Have you noticed how the author takes a traditional fantasy theme, and then adds pop culture and/or internet references?

Wow-ee! Gets me every time~!

I actually find myself occasionally getting sucked into Erfworld. I'll see there's a new one, and become moderately interested again, if only because Parson is interesting, if not sympathetic. I'll go back, and read 10 issues of him trying out tactics, working around his boss, wondering if about the consequences of dying in this crazy world that might be his subconcious, and I start reading.

Then they make an atomic poop joke with a sound effect of "4chan!", and I shake my head at the retarded pandering to the lowest common denominator, and ignore it again.

Nothing really more really needs to be said about the comic. It's like that acquaintance you have that tries really hard, almost too hard. You hang out with him, and just figure he's really lonely, and that those rumours are overstated.

And then you hear he's dating a girl who is ten years younger than he is who has... tourette's or something. And you regret it all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

New Strip!

Click here for the full 708x938 image.

Plot!

So, V just said Disintegrate 4 times, right? (I doubt those are the 4 words, but I suspect that that moment is coming up quick)

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
E:^^^^^^drat YOU

Um...poo poo.

Is this the dragon I think it is???

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

Um...poo poo.

Well, drat you too! I just spent ten minutes hunting that bit out!

It could be. Eyes are a different colour and that dragon got left as a pile of dust, but it makes sense.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Um...poo poo.

I'm thinking it might be "Mommy". Or "Daddy". I failed Dragonology 101, and they never let you lift their tail to check.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That dragon was only a Young Adult. I agree, it's mommy or daddy out for some revenge.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I will KILL a human being if the next strip focuses on Elan's lovely Adventures of Boring poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We've been getting good, frequent updates lately and I would feel bad about suddenly kvetching over an interlude.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

That "fleeting dominance in a mortal coil" sounds interesting. There are good elven liches, aren't there?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I seem to remember there being good liches in general, but that they were clerics.

This was back in second edition, though.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

seaborgium posted:

That "fleeting dominance in a mortal coil" sounds interesting. There are good elven liches, aren't there?

Yeah, baelnorns or whatever. 'Course half of them end up turning evil/insane, but hey, such are the consequences of becoming a mockery of life for whom mere mortal concerns are increasingly difficult to care about compared to the mystical weave that sustains their super-awesome goody-goody immortality.

Mylan 2
Jan 16, 2009

Losing passwords since '08
FR at least has Baelnorn, the good elven liches. Obberon has the Undying, again with elves, which are like undead but powered by positive energy.

I guess this could be an angry parent but I thought dragons didn't really give much of a poo poo about their young past a point.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Just out of curiosity, say Xykon gets killed and the phylactery smashed. What happens to him? Wouldn't he still be an immensely powerful spirit in the chaotic evil afterlife, or whatever? Couldn't he still come back?

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Wolfsheim posted:

Just out of curiosity, say Xykon gets killed and the phylactery smashed. What happens to him? Wouldn't he still be an immensely powerful spirit in the chaotic evil afterlife, or whatever? Couldn't he still come back?

The worst thing about this post is that it made me think "Oh yeah, Xykon. Whatever happened to him anyway?"

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Does anyone else feel that the art style is now getting in the way of the story? Stick figures are fine for light-hearted jokes about the game mechanics and archetypes, but a lot of the :words: we've been getting lately could have been conveyed much more concisely with a well-drawn facial expression or two.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

NutShellBill posted:

Then they make an atomic poop joke with a sound effect of "4chan!", and I shake my head at the retarded pandering to the lowest common denominator, and ignore it again.
I'm actually less annoyed by that, than I am by the fact that the "Healers" are all fat colored women in nurse uniforms. Yeah okay there Carlos Mencia, that joke isn't as funny as you think.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mylan 2 posted:

Obberon has the Undying, again with elves, which are like undead but powered by positive energy.

:eng101: Eberron. The positive-energy version of undeath is being 'deathless', which I guess sounds nicer.

The guys in charge are called the Undying Council, whom a lot of elves that have not naturalized to Khorvaire (i.e. who aren't civilized) worship as living deities (and receive spells from, since they're basically nearly godlike in power when the council is taken as a whole).

Basically if poo poo starts to really go down in a biblical scale in Eberron, they are probably the only thing of any divine scale that might answer the call for the forces of capital G good, short of the Silver Flame worshiped in Thrane (which is the only other actual tangible divine force in Eberron, as a living spiritual monument made of like the lifeforce of all of Eberron's couatl after they sacrificed themselves for something or other).

I think every other entity or group that receives worship in Eberron is either silent, or doesn't actually exist. Not that it seems to interfere with receiving clerical spells, even if you're a complete and total bastard who uses their power directly in opposition of everything your God stands for.

Wow, I am way off topic. In any event, I don't think V is anywhere near becoming a Deathless. Maybe a lawful neutral lich?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Is there any chance that this dragon can be the one disintegrated by V ages ago?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
welp,

Click here for the full 743x933 image.

Updates sure are comin' along fast these days.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
So still pushing for V to become a Liche.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Commissar posted:

So still pushing for V to become a Liche.

I hope so. If this side story ends up amounting to "...Meanwhile, V gets killed by a dragon in the middle of nowhere," I'm going to be nonplussed.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
I don't think I've ever heard of an elven lich as normally that's more of a human thing (with the short life span and all.) That said I'm very very happy about the quick updates :)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Deathless are stupid ("undead, except not because we're good!") and I'd rather see V become a lich.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Amateur Sketch posted:

I hope so. If this side story ends up amounting to "...Meanwhile, V gets killed by a dragon in the middle of nowhere," I'm going to be nonplussed.

Oh, please. That'd be dumb storytelling anywhere, and Burlew is not a dumb storyteller.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
That dragon has some badass lines there.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

That dragon has some badass lines there.

Is it too late to get the dragon in the party? Maybe impersonating V? I'd buy that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

NutShellBill posted:

Is it too late to get the dragon in the party? Maybe impersonating V? I'd buy that.

Elan: V, you look different... did you... gain weight?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would say that the dragon is going to put V on the ropes bad enough that he will have to deal with the Imp, but I'm at a loss as to what the Imp could actually do to help - teleport them away I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Commissar posted:

Elan: V, you look different... did you... gain weight?

I meant more with magic, but your way has merit as well.