Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

kapalama posted:

Stanza
Flashlight
ReAddle Docs

Those are the immediately useful things I got.

Evernote seems like it would be useful, but it has not become so for me yet.

EDIT: Correction: ReAddleDocs is off the list. It needs a wi-fi connection to upload docs, and as noted above the Touch absolutely sucks with weak networks.So I cannot upload docs to look at them directly.

Is there a program that lets me upload files to the iPod Touch directly so that a viewer can look at them when I am not connected to the internet, or to a WiFi network?

There's no alernative to ReAddle Docs or ReAddle Flash Drive for having the same file access features are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
Is it possible to make my Touch shuffle albums? Currently when it finishes playing an album, that's it - I'd like it to pick another album at random and start playing that so I don't have to dig it out of my pocket and select a new album.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

ranathari posted:

Is it possible to make my Touch shuffle albums? Currently when it finishes playing an album, that's it - I'd like it to pick another album at random and start playing that so I don't have to dig it out of my pocket and select a new album.

Sounds like you need to get used to making playlists!

Other then that, unless you play your entire library at once, it will wait for next input.

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003
what's an easy way for me to get album art for all my albums? with the ipod connected in iTunes I selected the ipod library and went to Advanced > Get Album Artwork but it didn't seem to work.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

ProdigalSon posted:

what's an easy way for me to get album art for all my albums? with the ipod connected in iTunes I selected the ipod library and went to Advanced > Get Album Artwork but it didn't seem to work.

Have open Google Image Search next to Itunes and drag and drop

Think you can do this on the Information screen of a whole album selected at once (IE every song selected)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Zigmidge posted:

There's no alernative to ReAddle Docs or ReAddle Flash Drive for having the same file access features are there?

Apparently not many, after I searched around. So maybe ReAddle docs gets put back on the list, warts and all, because it does do what it does. And the thing it does (letting you read .pdfs and other files on the Touch) is pretty drat important for using the Touch as something other than a video iPod. And they do give you the free webspace to load yer stuff up to.

Problems I have had with it:
1. You cannot load .rtf files directly up to the Touch. The Touch's ReAddle display software needs the files to be prepped into .rtx files (I don't know what they are). But the free storage site they offer does the conveting for you.

2. "Sync" does weird things to the document list. I ended up just deleting the application, and redownloading the Docs from their web storage.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ProdigalSon posted:

2 thoughts:

Do you have an iTUnes Account, and are you signed in? (Need to be a member, and be signed in to get art).

Have you tried going to other country's iTunes Stores to see if they hve the artwork you are looking for?

asveepay
Jul 7, 2005
internobody

ProdigalSon posted:

this function will only update the artwork in the iTunes library, not on the ipod. you could manually drag-and-drop into the ipod (select the tracks, then get info, then drag into artwork field). Let me tell you from experience: this is tedious!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

asveepay posted:

this function will only update the artwork in the iTunes library, not on the ipod. you could manually drag-and-drop into the ipod (select the tracks, then get info, then drag into artwork field). Let me tell you from experience: this is tedious!

Why not just update the library, then re-sync?

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003
I ended up dragging and dropping album art for the 10 or so albums that I have, it only took a few minutes although it would be a pain to do it every time. I just tried the itunes library sync and that works! It just wouldn't sync with albums on my ipod previously.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have a Mac and need to take all the songs from this iPod and dump them onto this computer. Senuti does the job but now you have to pay after 1,000 songs.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I have a Mac and need to take all the songs from this iPod and dump them onto this computer. Senuti does the job but now you have to pay after 1,000 songs.

Just did this the other day:
http://www.cnet.com/1990-7899_1-6488385-1.html

It give you folders with your music in random places but when you import the folders back into itunes it sorts it all out for you.

I think I must have missed some folders when I did it (some albums are incomplete), but otherwise it worked fine.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

cocteau posted:

Just did this the other day:
http://www.cnet.com/1990-7899_1-6488385-1.html

It give you folders with your music in random places but when you import the folders back into itunes it sorts it all out for you.

I think I must have missed some folders when I did it (some albums are incomplete), but otherwise it worked fine.

Just a Mac Tip, but the freeware program TinkerTool makes this easier, because it's just a click of a box.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ok, I just got an ipod Touch and I am completely new to this jailbreak thing. Is it true that the 2nd gen touch can't be jailbroken?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 26, 2009

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ok, I just got an ipod Touch and I am completely new to this jailbreak thing. Is it true that the 2nd gen touch can't be jailbroken?

They are working on it.

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

If anyone hasn't tried iShoot Lite yet, it's free from the app store and is awesome. I hadn't gotten any paid apps yet, but after five minutes of the lite version, I decided I would buy it even if it were $10; it turned out to be $3 and I've already played for a good 6 hours since yesterday afternoon.

That game rules so hard. I've wasted crazy amounts of time with it already.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
Okay, I just bought an Ipod touch off my friend but I'm running into some problems.

I just formatted my computer and as a result I don't have XP updated much because I'm not really using it much for the time being, the problem is Itunes wanted Service Pack 2 for all this poo poo and I don't have it, I got around that by installing an older version of Itunes but now it says my Ipod touch requires service pack 2, although some people say it will work with just SP1.

Is there some alternative program or some poo poo I can use so I can just put music on my goddamn mp3 player without having to download tons of poo poo?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Okay, I just bought an Ipod touch off my friend but I'm running into some problems.

I just formatted my computer and as a result I don't have XP updated much because I'm not really using it much for the time being, the problem is Itunes wanted Service Pack 2 for all this poo poo and I don't have it, I got around that by installing an older version of Itunes but now it says my Ipod touch requires service pack 2, although some people say it will work with just SP1.

Is there some alternative program or some poo poo I can use so I can just put music on my goddamn mp3 player without having to download tons of poo poo?

Download SP2. There is absolutely no reason to run XP without at least SP2 these days, and preferably SP3.

Unless, of course, you pirated it.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
Ok well that is solved.

Now, how do I make itunes not backup my whole drat ipod every time I plug it in?

Edit:I click the X, go figure.

Pretty Little Rainbow fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 29, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Getting ready to go on a road-trip with some friends and one of them has a car charger for his old iPod classic. Will this work for my Touch 2nd Gen?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Scarf posted:

Getting ready to go on a road-trip with some friends and one of them has a car charger for his old iPod classic. Will this work for my Touch 2nd Gen?

No..

Classics require 12v (firewire) charging.. 2nd Gen iPod Touch REQUIRES 5v charging (USB).

Not sure about the newer classics, as in the last year, but my old 3G classic absolutely could not charge on 5V, so every charger made up this year is pretty much a 12v charger.. Not until the iPhone 3G was released did apple first require 5v-ONLY charging and just then did they START making 5v chargers..

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

cioxx posted:

That game rules so hard. I've wasted crazy amounts of time with it already.
My brother and I have the same train ride every day (I work there, he's a student,) and we get through a few hundred rounds then get bored and start again because there's no point in having 30 Shiva bombs.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

FidgetyRat posted:

No..

Classics require 12v (firewire) charging.. 2nd Gen iPod Touch REQUIRES 5v charging (USB).

Not sure about the newer classics, as in the last year, but my old 3G classic absolutely could not charge on 5V, so every charger made up this year is pretty much a 12v charger.. Not until the iPhone 3G was released did apple first require 5v-ONLY charging and just then did they START making 5v chargers..

Luckily monoprice has iPhone/iPod Touch car chargers for dirt cheap.

edit: link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083105&p_id=4871&seq=1&format=2

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
So no easy way to automatically put lyrics on my songs without having to jump through hoops? It's easy as poo poo to do in Windows.

edit: I have used GimmeSomeTune and it can't even find my lyrics - I am not listening to weird songs either.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 30, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

So no easy way to automatically put lyrics on my songs without having to jump through hoops? It's easy as poo poo to do in Windows.

edit: I have used GimmeSomeTune and it can't even find my lyrics - I am not listening to weird songs either.

What kind of programs are there for windows?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Try editing ID3 tags on a Mac and you'll find the same sort of situation.

I don't do lyrics, but I bet the best place to go for it is the same place you go for tag editing software:

http://dougscripts.com/

It's almost all free. There are thousands of scripts though so you have to do the finding. ANd they all work through iTunes.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

^^^^^Thanks for the link above, but I can't find anything that I'm looking for there. And here I thought OSX was just easy.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What kind of programs are there for windows?

I honestly don't know now. I used a program last year and it just did everything automatically, and then when I needed to use it again, I uninstalled it, so I searched and found a brand new one that did the same.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 30, 2009

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
They released a huge update at the iphone/ipod hackers blog thing. Unfortunately, I was excited until I read this:

quote:

iPod Touch 2G (New iPod Touch)

Sorry, no support at this time, but Redsn0w is being actively researched and developed.

Ugh.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Super Dude posted:

They released a huge update at the iphone/ipod hackers blog thing. Unfortunately, I was excited until I read this:

Ugh.

from what i've read, they are about 50% done searching through the bootloader and llb, which took about 2 weeks. chronic dev team has also jailbroken an ipod touch, but they have the same tethered jailbreak the dev team has. hopefully with two teams working they find a hole in the bootrom, but there's always a chance neither will.

they can't really release the tethered break because it uses apple code

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003

granpa yum posted:

they can't really release the tethered break because it uses apple code

looks like there's a tethered jailbreak: http://www.redsn0w.com/

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Damndest thing ever happened last night. I wanted to check the weather but my touch was stone cold dead despite having a good charge a few hours ago- pushing either button did nothing to activate it, nor did plugging it into my laptop. This morning, I tried again and it was alive, but it told me that it had basically no power left - when it was healthy yesterday it told me it had about 4/5 battery life remaining.
So, my touch's charged and better now but I have no idea if how to explain it, or whether it's gonna pull this poo poo again. Weird.

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

ProdigalSon posted:

looks like there's a tethered jailbreak: http://www.redsn0w.com/

YES. Except for the fact that Cydia didn't show up the first go, it's working perfectly for me.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Gymp posted:

YES. Except for the fact that Cydia didn't show up the first go, it's working perfectly for me.

i just did it too, the rebooting process is a pain but it's worth it

it's not too hard, the dev team made it out to sound like you will destroy your ipod if you gently caress up. as long as you are semi comfortable with terminal its pretty easy. just remember that once you put the jailbroken firmware on you need to put it in dfu mode again, and that your ipod is not broken it just cant but fully. god i could not get it to go into dfu and after like 4 tries i started thinking i bricked my ipod, but i got it after that.

also if you're on osx 10.5.6 you need to do the dfu fix. now i just hope a permanent jailbreak is found soon.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

With the 1g jailbreak, did it take care of the "unsupported device" warning with some third-party accessories? I'm kind of hoping that I can use the cheap monoprice A/V out cable that people say gives the warning and cuts video.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is the 2G model safe to update the firmware if we want to jailbreak in the future? I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the request.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Is the 2G model safe to update the firmware if we want to jailbreak in the future? I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the request.

Well since they still don't even have a working jailbreak for any firmware, I would imagine so.. Although it is likely they will figure it out eventually, there is no absolute guarantee it ever will be jail-broken. It has been 4.5 months and still nothing but constant "we're close, but you can't use it yet".

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Hey all, sorry for being so neglectful of this thread. I haven't read the last 1000+ posts, and I also haven't bothered to update the firmware on my 1G past 1.1.1.

I have a couple questions (at least one of which I'm sure has been asked before):

1. Is there a way to update to Appstore capable firmware while retaining the jailbreak?

2. Have any of you had your home button become semi-unresponsive?

The OP is way overdue for an update. Like I said, I've been out of the loop on this for a while, but I'd be happy to update it. What new info do you think should be added?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Hillridge posted:

The OP is way overdue for an update. Like I said, I've been out of the loop on this for a while, but I'd be happy to update it. What new info do you think should be added?

You might link to the iphone games thread (which really should be the iphone/ipod touch games thread but whatever).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2944223

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

Astro7x posted:

I have my 2G jailbroken on 2.2.1 so yes, it is safe to update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I

King of all Machines Operate posted:

I have my 2G jailbroken on 2.2.1 so yes, it is safe to update.

Yeah FidgetyRat, check out redsn0w.com

• Locked thread