Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Now that I'm laid off, I finally have time to pull Dragon Quest 8 off the shelf it's been sitting on for 2 years. I know I'll be doing enough grinding to humble a Korean MMO, but is there anything else I should know? What weapon skills to give people and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Layne
Aug 16, 2008

by Ozma

Draile posted:

Mass Effect:

* The achievements that aren't story progression give you awesome in-game bonuses. Make sure to get them. All achievements like "use skill X 75 times" or "kill 150 enemies with X weapon" have to be done by Shepard. The "ally" achievements will require you to use the desired party members for almost the whole game; don't do any side quests ("assignments") until you have the two you want. Then keep them both in your active group at all times.

* When you're on an uncharted planet, there are always more things to be found than your map lets on. Explore areas of the map that are far away from the marked locations--you'll find hidden stuff. This is critical for completing a few annoying item collection sidequests.
There are also all a waste of time unless your goal is to earn the dubious accomplishment of completing everything. You can beat the game easily enough by just doing the side quests, minimal amounts of tedious salvage/mineral/badge gathering nonsense, and just saving up for the specter gear. My Shepard was a powerhouse at the end and I skipped large sections of the obsessive compulsive "collect every badge and condom" parts of the game. The game is still good for 35 hours of gameplay or so. I bet the scavenger hunt crap tacks on an extra 10+ hours.

Dankzilla
Dec 8, 2005

"hey Clay, how's Groy's ass lookin?"

Sworder posted:

Now that I'm laid off, I finally have time to pull Dragon Quest 8 off the shelf it's been sitting on for 2 years. I know I'll be doing enough grinding to humble a Korean MMO, but is there anything else I should know? What weapon skills to give people and so forth.

It's been forever since I've last played it, but I remember it's really worth it to collect monsters once the arena opens up, but that's not awhile into the game. Also, the whole Jessica uniform thing gets really creepy after awhile.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Stumiester posted:

Just got two games from the UK version of Gamefly for the XBOX 360 - Assassins' Creed
If you're an achievement whore, you'll want to pay attention to a couple of things right from the offset. The first is to make sure you talk to Lucy at every opportunity, you get an achievement for having every possible conversation with her (mostly just useless chit-chat as far as the plot's concerned, though). You'll know when she's done talking because she'll say something like "I've got work to do." The second is seeing 85% of all memory glitches, which I didn't do at all so I'll just pull a description from another site:

quote:

When cut scenes occur dealing with who you need to assassinate, you will notice a little "glitch" type thing go across the whole screen, at this time push any button and it will change the point of view on the cutscene. This will occur for every assassination so pay attention to the cutscenes and you will get this before game end. You can miss a few but to be safe always pay attention and look out for the glitch as several occur during each scene.
They're only worth 20 points each, so probably nothing to stress about, but if you're a huge completionist then you'll want to get them on your first time through because going through again just for those would be a pain. The only other not-so-obvious one is a 50 point achievement for sitting through the credits, which sounds simple enough but the credits roll for what seems like a loving half hour, so you might want to make a sandwich or something.

Besides all that, just pace yourself. If you try to rush through the main plot you'll probably get burnt out pretty quickly, so try to tackle a few side-missions, find the high points, and just explore or whatever you find fun. Oh, and you steal throwing knifes from the bulky-looking builder guys walking around the streets. I'm not sure if it tells you that straight away, but knifes are extremely useful (instant kill on anyone who hasn't seen you) so you'll want to keep up a stock.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Mr E posted:

Anyone have any tips for Final Fantasy XII ? Should I worry about the ultimate weapon that goes away if you open certain chests?

Magic auto recovers. So spread the healing and buffing duties around so that no one character runs out.

Get the license buffs. There are 3 10% faster buffs that, when combined with haste make for some kickass melee characters.

I never used black magic outside of a few enemies with known weaknesses, and bosses. YMMV.

Turn battle speed all the way up. IIRC there is a version of FF12 that'll double battle speed on a button press. If you hadn't guessed already, the game wants you to use the gambit system.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Coffee Jones posted:

Magic auto recovers. So spread the healing and buffing duties around so that no one character runs out.

Get the license buffs. There are 3 10% faster buffs that, when combined with haste make for some kickass melee characters.

I never used black magic outside of a few enemies with known weaknesses, and bosses. YMMV.

Turn battle speed all the way up. IIRC there is a version of FF12 that'll double battle speed on a button press. If you hadn't guessed already, the game wants you to use the gambit system.
Add to that:

*Party buff spells are a problem as they get casted again right when one of them wears off, but the others are still activated as the lengthy spell animation ended in a sequence. You then get only one guy with the party buff with the MP wasted, while the others have theirs turned off. What a bunch of poo poo.

*Stick to each guy casting their owns buffs unless you want to do all the party buffing yourself.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 29, 2009

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Sworder posted:

Fisticuffs is really weak in the beginning, I would not specialize in it first play through.

If you get Sword and Courage both to 100 on the Hero, you get a really, really good move. The only other weapon skill you might want to consider leveling up on the Hero is Boomerang,
because that can really expedite the random battles.

For Yangus, just be sure to get Humanity up - he can transfer MP and backup heal. I wouldn't max it because the last few skills suck. None of his weapons are really hands down better than the others - Axe is generally the most useful, but there are a lot of situations where you'd rather have a club than an axe (vs. demons, for instance). I'd shy away from Scythe though, unless you want to steal things - you get a super move that does a lot of damage but is extremely mp inefficient, and I don't remember zombies being either all that common or being all that difficult.

I'd recommend Staff for Jessica and Angelo - once you max staff you pretty much will be using magic only. The weapon skill doesn't really matter for either - I'd go Whip with Jessica. The problem with Angelo is that his best weapon skill is probably Sword but he's not as good at Swords as hero so his equip will always end up being second-rate.

Basically, you will be OK as long as you specialize in the good skill paths - it's obvious what to do with the hero (if you don't take courage you're a lunatic) and if you don't give the casters Staff you're kicking yourself in the balls, but the other skills are more flexible.

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 29, 2009

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

Veritron posted:

Fisticuffs is really weak in the beginning, I would not specialize in it first play through.

Sorry, I don't mean to derail, but there are people who play through DQ8 more than once?! :psypop:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The Gingham Whip for Jessica is a pretty badass weapon and I was routinely doing more damage with it than any of her spells.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Stumiester posted:

Just got two games from the UK version of Gamefly for the XBOX 360 - Assassins' Creed and Mirror's Edge.

Anything important to know before I get started?
If you equip the throwing knives in melee, you fight with a dagger. This is different from the hidden blade. Unlike the sword, the dagger has an easy counter-autokill. They don't really mention this in the game. I did not realize I could use the throwing knives for anything except throwing from afar until I had beaten the game, and I bet a lot of those fights against a ton of enemies would have been much easier if I had known about it.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Stumiester posted:

Just got two games from the UK version of Gamefly for the XBOX 360 - Assassins' Creed and Mirror's Edge.

Anything important to know before I get started?

Assassins' Creed

You can use the hidden blade in normal combat as well. If you do a counter strike against an enemy with this equipped, it's a one hit kill on everyone - even boss characters.

Tical00
Nov 17, 2008

by Lowtax
Star Ocean - Any of the games.

Always save up your SP and MAX OUT Determination and than Effort in your skill list. They will make you level up and gain SP MAD FAST! After that I suggest maxing out customization (so you can make some nasty rear end weapons) and also Familiar (so you can send a bird out to a item shop when your stuck in a cave, be sure to pick up pet food though!)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Salt Block Party posted:

If you equip the throwing knives in melee, you fight with a dagger. This is different from the hidden blade. Unlike the sword, the dagger has an easy counter-autokill. They don't really mention this in the game. I did not realize I could use the throwing knives for anything except throwing from afar until I had beaten the game, and I bet a lot of those fights against a ton of enemies would have been much easier if I had known about it.

Something about throwing knives that the game is really bad at mentioning, if you run out you can pickpocket more from those big thug guys who wander around towns.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I got Mass Effect a while ago. I've only played it once, since I also borrowed Fallout 3 from a friend and I've been engrossed in it. Once I get back into Mass Effect, how do I make myself remember to use my abilities and tell my allies to use their abilities? I ended up just running and gunning and hardly ever using any real tactics other than taking cover behind things.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Isn't RB the button that brings up the power menu? Just imagine you're about to bust out some VATS on their rear end, but the explosive mind power kind.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
Yeah it is, I guess I was thinking along the lines of KOTOR where you'd pause the action and queue up attacks, even though I knew it was a different kind of game. Maybe now after Fallout I'll be used to pressing RB

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Let your allies do whatever they want, they're either generally smart enough to do what you want them to do anyway, or too dumb to not immediately die no matter what you tell them. Use your cooldowns basically whenever they're up, there's no downside to using them other than that you won't be able to use that one for the next 45 seconds or whatever and they make things much easier.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The options menu lets you choose how you want your squad to use their powers. You can tell them to not use anything unless you say so, or to go nuts and use everything they've got. It's usually better to just let them use their powers on their own unless you like crazy micromanagement.

There's one power, stasis, that squad members won't use unless you tell them to. It's theoretically really useful but since I either forget about it or don't care to micromanage that much it doesn't give me any value.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Final Fantasy Tactics

1.) Make everyone Squires and learn Accumulate (+1str I think).
2.) Do nothing but pump up until the enemies are within strike range, gaining either Jp. or Exp. every time.
3.) One-shot the enemies.

4.) Buy the highest Movement+Jump giving items/perks you can.
5.) Learn Monk for everyone, and make Squire the secondary.
6.) Repeat steps 1-3 and beat the game easily, never needing healers of any other sort.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 31, 2009

Wilikai
Feb 20, 2003

Why hello Ms. Trepe would you like to be in my video?

Patashu posted:

Does Final Fantasy Tactics A-2 have any permanent unmissables? FFTA was chock full of them, for example thundrakes and goblins stopped appearing after a while and lots of items required a specific setup of the map's nodes to acquire.

Also came in here to post this. Anybody?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Wilikai posted:

Also came in here to post this. Anybody?

Copied from the Gamefaqs message boards (ugh):

1. There are no miss-able missions.
2. There is 1 miss-able item. You can get every single piece of loot even after you complete the game, with the very distinct exception of Strawood and Flutegrass (you can miss this), which I will get to in the next point.
3. There are no miss-able equipment. You can get at least 1 of every single equipment, and any equipment that you cannot get multiple times are not sell-able; they're grayed-out in the shop (convenient for you). However, in one of the main-storyline missions, you have the choice of making either a Shining Lute or a Brilliant Theorbo depending on whether or not you decide to get the one-and-only Flutegrass in the game from the quest. Make sure you make the Shining Lute if you're a perfectionist because you can only get 2 in the game, ever. You can get infinite Brilliant Theorbos.

God, what a horrible guide. Basically, I remember there being nothing you could really miss that's worth worrying about.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

While we're on that topic, is there any other advice for FFTA2?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I remember reading this about Megaman 9 regarding boss weakness.

The weaknesses aren't elementally aligned like you'd expect. Magma man is not weak to Splash Woman, for instance. The weaknesses are more practical than that.

Concrete Man is weak to Splash Trident because the trident can destroy all three of his concrete blocks.

Galaxy Man is weak to the Concrete Block since it freezes his Black Holes.

Jewel Man is weak to Black Hole Bomb because the BHB sucks up his shield.

Plug Man is weak to the Jewel Shield because it will block his plug balls.

Tornado Man is weak to the Plug Ball because it can travel up the walls to attack him when he's airborne.

Magma Man is weak to the Tornado Blow, since it blows out his fire (makes his attacks weaker, too).

Hornet Man is weak to the Magma Shot since it can take out all three of his hornets in one shot.

Splash Woman is weak to the Hornet Attack because it can kill her fish and keep going.

Splash -> Concrete -> Galaxy -> Jewel -> Plug -> Tornado -> Magma -> Hornet

Splash Woman is also the only boss that takes double damage from the regular Mega Buster, presumably because she does not have legs.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm about to start playing Ultima 4 (I'm on a retro kick at the moment), and could use any tips anyone can give.

Cordialatron
Jun 28, 2004

I know I'm some kind of interplanetary agent but I don't think my signals are decoding properly.

Capsaicin posted:

I remember reading this about Megaman 9 regarding boss weakness.

The weaknesses aren't elementally aligned like you'd expect. Magma man is not weak to Splash Woman, for instance. The weaknesses are more practical than that.

Concrete Man is weak to Splash Trident because the trident can destroy all three of his concrete blocks.

Galaxy Man is weak to the Concrete Block since it freezes his Black Holes.

Jewel Man is weak to Black Hole Bomb because the BHB sucks up his shield.

Plug Man is weak to the Jewel Shield because it will block his plug balls.

Tornado Man is weak to the Plug Ball because it can travel up the walls to attack him when he's airborne.

Magma Man is weak to the Tornado Blow, since it blows out his fire (makes his attacks weaker, too).

Hornet Man is weak to the Magma Shot since it can take out all three of his hornets in one shot.

Splash Woman is weak to the Hornet Attack because it can kill her fish and keep going.

Splash -> Concrete -> Galaxy -> Jewel -> Plug -> Tornado -> Magma -> Hornet

Splash Woman is also the only boss that takes double damage from the regular Mega Buster, presumably because she does not have legs.

I've found it's easier to fight Galaxy Man first, since his level and boss fight are easier than Splash Woman's. Also concrete shot doesn't really make his fight any easier.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Cordialatron posted:

I've found it's easier to fight Galaxy Man first, since his level and boss fight are easier than Splash Woman's. Also concrete shot doesn't really make his fight any easier.

If you shoot his black hole bomb with the Concrete Shot, it freezes the bomb and you can run around normally instead of having to just run away to avoid getting sucked into Galaxy Man. Also it does massive damage to Galaxy Man himself. :shobon:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah but Splash Woman is kind of a pain in the rear end with just the Mega Buster, where as Galaxy Man is pretty easy no matter what.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Eh, I guess I just like using the laser trident throughout the game. It's really light on energy and it's pretty powerful - it can kill things with armor/shields like the Joes.

Cordialatron
Jun 28, 2004

I know I'm some kind of interplanetary agent but I don't think my signals are decoding properly.

Capsaicin posted:

Eh, I guess I just like using the laser trident throughout the game. It's really light on energy and it's pretty powerful - it can kill things with armor/shields like the Joes.

I'm pretty sure I went Galaxy-Splash-Magma-Hornet or something like that anyway. The first three are pretty easy without their weakness. Also Hornet Man's weapon makes the miniboss on Jewel Man's level really easy.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Uab posted:

And (in Black Gate) use a barrel instead of backpack when you're strong enough. You'll know when you're strong enough.

Once you have the magic carpet (and you can get it within the first minute of the game, I think it's in a cave on the coast in a little cove just NW of your starting location, but it's been a LONG time so don't quote me on that) you can just outfit it with barrels and chests to store the loot you don't need "on" you at all times. The addition of a few candles makes flying at night better too.

God i've forgotten so much of that game, which sucks because it was awesome.

Captain_Red
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a Captain
Alright, we've have advice for Morrowind and Oblivion, but I recently found a boxed copy of Daggerfall and after going through the rigmarole of getting the thing to work under XP I don't really know what the gently caress.

Apr 24, 2008

What mods should I get for a first play through of morrowind?
I checked the last few pages, sorry if it's been covered. I know bodies 2.0 was covered and that looks pretty cool.

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

JawnV6 posted:

Anything I should know about Supreme Commander?

I'm just starting on the PC, had some minor frustrations with how the units move and a few dozen enemies getting spawned on me, but that's probably just my stupidity.

Save right before you complete an objective - you might be in a very secure position like the bottom corner of a map, but on completing the objective the map expands downward and all of a sudden enemies pour into your base. The only solution is to load, and mass troops at the edge of the map.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Swiss Army Knife posted:

While we're on that topic, is there any other advice for FFTA2?

Yeah, definitely. I really wish that someone would have convinced me NOT to read discussions of the game and simply enjoy it. I did enough reading to figure out all of the gamebreaking class combos and didn't have much fun, because of it.

Just leave the FAQs, threads, and Gamefaqs message-boards alone. You'll be able to break the game quickly enough, don't worry. It's so easy, at least get some satisfaction figuring it out on your own. I didn't, and I had a lot less fun than I would have liked.

Such an addictive game either way, though.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

6025 posted:

What mods should I get for a first play through of morrowind?
I checked the last few pages, sorry if it's been covered. I know bodies 2.0 was covered and that looks pretty cool.
For the sake of your own sanity, you should find a MOD pack where all plug-ins have been tested for conflicting with each other. The old threads should probably some links. Also, check out the links here

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Captain_Red posted:

Alright, we've have advice for Morrowind and Oblivion, but I recently found a boxed copy of Daggerfall and after going through the rigmarole of getting the thing to work under XP I don't really know what the gently caress.

The character creation tool is ridiculously powerful and probably the best creation tool I have ever seen.

Teleport and Recall are very, VERY useful for getting out of dungeons.

Some dungeons are impossible. Save before going into one.

I hate cheating in games. Cheatmode in daggerfall is a lifesaver for me for the key dungeon location jumping.
http://www.cheatscodesguides.com/pc-cheats/daggerfall/

Enchanting weapons is very useful when you have the money. Doing the wizards guild quests are worth it just for that.

Becoming a Vampire is a blast, but it basically derails whatever you were doing until you do the cure quest.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007
I just got a copy of Skies of Arcadia (Yay Wii backwards compatibility!) Any tips on how to begin this one?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Here are a few ways to break some games and help your gaming experience a bit from the get-go.

Final Fantasy XII

- In the Dalmasca Westersands, once you get another team-mate, you can come here and spawn a Rare Game boss which you can steal a fairly strong weapon from. The catch is you need to chain at least 20 wolves for him to pop up when you zone into his area, and that he can hit for upwards 200 damage on all your party members, so it's a steal and then run for the exit. He appears in the Shimmering Horizon dead end area, easily accessible from Galtea Downs (the entrance room). To get the 20 wolf chain you can zone into the non-dead end part of Shimmering Horizon and run North to the corridor of Sand, keep running towards the east to reach the Galtea Downs again with more wolves around now. To steal, pull the boss towards the exit, zone out, then zone back in. Steal once, zone out and heal, then zone back in and repeat until you're successful. Unfortunately to get another one you will likely need to go back to Dalmasca and start the chain over, unless you can actually kill the drat thing (need to be level 20 in the least). Just watch out for it's AoE, it hurts very badly and quickly. The dagger itself does something like 40 damage, is really loving fast and it's wind element. It hits 2 times harder and 2 times faster then everything else for a good while. It's also piss easy to get on the license board, it's just a few squares away upwards from the Dagger 1 license.

Disgaea 1 DS

- Leveling up is a pain in the rear end in this game, solution? Get statisticians! They're Specialists that will give a good boost to the amount of exp you receive.

- Against MidBoss for the first time, Lose to him purposefully. You will be allowed to make a second cycle, and from there you will be able to get Pleinare (the NPC with the blue hair and white dress). She is an extra character, a really drat good one. Her Speed allows her to dodge almost everything if she's the same level as the target. You can give her fist weapons and she'll pretty much solo the game.

Disgaea 2

- Thieves being next to useless in the last game (apart from stealing) can now invoke status effects on enemies. That's fine, why is that any good? THEIR STATUS EFFECTS NEVER MISS REGULAR ENEMIES. Yes, this means a lvl 10 thief can sleep a lvl 9999 Neko, and even poison it. The female ninjas are even better in the sense that their status effect skills like the Sleep one can target up to 5 enemies at once, and it's ranged to boot. Sleep incapacitates an enemy for up to 4 turns (unless it's hit with a Physical attack) and Poison will damage the enemy for 20% of it's max life per turn. Poison damage won't wake an enemy up, so you can easily deal with stuff like Pirates. The drawback is no one gains exp or money from a poison kill.

- Another trick let's you bump your level up to godliness within 10 hours of beginning the game, and it doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth like the Neko trick. It also ties in to the above mentioned strategy to deal with the more difficult enemies. First thing you'll need is to get a Treasure map, and to do this you need to defeat a group of pirates in the Item world of any item. Then, you can go into the item world of that map, where you'll likely find lvl 250+ enemies, as well as loot. The trick here is to try and grab one of the higher end weapons, which will let you deal with the enemies, and this can be done through end-stage Bonuses (poison/sleep all enemies to kill them) and treasure chests (which will require you to chain a combo, basically designate everyone to attack it and Execute, the last persons in the chain will be dealing considerably more damage). You can also combo-kill the enemies, but you'll need to watch out for counters. Placing mage spells at the end of a combo REALLY loving hurts them too, so keep a mage around or a magic knight. And, of course you can always steal from enemies, whereas the thief will always have a 1.0% chance to steal, regardless of the level difference. Once you get a weapon, you'll be able to combo-kill allot easier and get more equipment. It's challenging, but this is a fun way to break the game.

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

- You can grab a lucky egg fairly quickly during the beginning, which gives a 50% exp boost to the amount of exp the holder will get. Once you reach Solaceon Town (the place with the Daycare center) some time after your second badge, you can hunt down Chansey on Routes 209 and 210. Whichever place you pick doesn't really matter, although you can keep your bike on 209. Chansey itself is a rare encounter, with only 5% chance to pop up. On top of this, it's very difficult to catch, and only has 5% chance to actually be holding the egg. Solution? If you found the Thief TM in Eterna city then it will be a whole lot easier as you'll be able to steal the egg from chansey. Thief will always steal 100% of the time, the only exception is when your pokemon is already holding an item. Chansey also carry Oval Stones 50% of the time, and will net a nifty 1000 bucks at the local shop.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sworder posted:

Dragon Quest 8

- http://home.comcast.net/~sritrai/dq/ - is your friend. Will save you a lot of time on backtracking for monsters and chests. Infamous Monsters will drop coins that you can sell for money (and only sell, they have no other use). Later on you can have these monsters participate in the classic monster arena (later in the game).

- You can't really screw up skills. I know another poster said fisticuffs are pretty bad, but if you unlock the Thin Air skill in fisticuffs, it's one of the best spammable skills in the game for taking out the trash. The in-game explanation on skills is awful, so without a guide you will never really know what you are getting. If you don't use a skill guide, then just pick a particular skill spec and max out and spread out your remainder however you see fit. Your average game will net you about ~175-200 skill points unless you grinded like a fiend. Use skill seeds on Angelo if you want equality, he has an awful skill level rate for some bizarre reason.

- Don't be afraid to optimize your party for trash clearing. You will spend A LOT more time clearing out trash than bosses in this game. Don't think that because you have 0 points in Boomerang, that you can't use Boomerangs. Use them, they speed up trash clearing considerably. Same with whips.

- Use the alchemy pot as much as possible. You can get a lot of great gear out of this that will make things easier than it must be. It's pretty much trial and error to find good stuff, or just use a guide to save yourself the time of randomly clicking poo poo through the cumbersome alchemy interface.

- Grind at night. You get better rewards and things just fly by faster. Honestly, you shouldn't have to grind that much except for the earliest part of the game, and this is because you have such a small party. The first dungeon may kick your rear end, don't sweat it - happens to a lot of people. Just take your wipe, lose half of your very miniscule gold pile, and go back and try again.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Rascyc posted:

Dragon Quest 8
- You can't really screw up skills. I know another poster said fisticuffs are pretty bad, but if you unlock the Thin Air skill in fisticuffs, it's one of the best spammable skills in the game for taking out the trash. The in-game explanation on skills is awful, so without a guide you will never really know what you are getting. If you don't use a skill guide, then just pick a particular skill spec and max out and spread out your remainder however you see fit. Your average game will net you about ~175-200 skill points unless you grinded like a fiend. Use skill seeds on Angelo if you want equality, he has an awful skill level rate for some bizarre reason.
I probably should have phrased it
"Don't take fisticuffs early in the game before you have another viable weapon skill." It's not even worth using until you get thin air - and Angelou never gets thin air (although admittedly the double damage move he gets when he maxes fisticuffs may or may not be useful.) If your first weapon skill is fisticuffs you're going to make the game much harder on yourself than it needs to be.