Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

One inexpertly installed GK-3 pickup plus:

Mmmm, a VG-99!

I've had this for about a month and it's fantastic. Now I understand the difference between a Strat and a Tele and a Les Paul etc.

Excellent guitar modeling plus excellent amp modeling plus excellent effects modeling makes me very happy :)

The acoustics sound great, much better than what I got out of a Digitech pedal I bought years ago. The different tunings work really well, I'm surprised at the quality of the pitch shifting, it only really sounds terrible if you push it to extremes.

Playing around with it I've come up with some presets I enjoy. Like LP (with simulated kill switch)-> Rat -> Marshall stack. Lots of fun. Also with the synth sounds I've come up with something that sounds a lot like a stylophone, which sounds like it's being circuit bent when the string decays.

When I saw what it could do I had to buy it, and when I got it I was happier when I found out it had a looper effect and it could be an audio interface too.

If you don't know what it can do look here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The Hot Hands Headstock idea is crap as far as I'm concerned, not that I recommend anyone creative listen to me. I don't think there's really much more that could be done with the concept, unless you're basically using it like a multi-dimensional switching or triggering mechanism by defining the midi commands as only sending if it makes extreme movements on x/y/z. Maybe you could wire it up to a MIDI lights rig and it would loving rock out like that, but as far as making musical sounds out of it I think the video is pretty representative of what you could expect using anything but a wah- or other filter-type effect.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Agreed posted:

The Hot Hands Headstock idea is crap as far as I'm concerned, not that I recommend anyone creative listen to me. I don't think there's really much more that could be done with the concept, unless you're basically using it like a multi-dimensional switching or triggering mechanism by defining the midi commands as only sending if it makes extreme movements on x/y/z. Maybe you could wire it up to a MIDI lights rig and it would loving rock out like that, but as far as making musical sounds out of it I think the video is pretty representative of what you could expect using anything but a wah- or other filter-type effect.

You honestly cant see how having it hooked up to sample and hold/looping etc could be used creativly and musically?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Having it hooked up to that while attached to your guitar's headstock? Maybe if you're a guitar-playing robot or something, but the lack of control thanks to the fact that the headstock is way on the other end of a thing strapped to you that you're slamming around all the time seems like it would make it very difficult to have anything like precise control over anything.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

is that whole video just glitchy crap cos I'm not sittin through 10 minutes of it unless something really cool's gonna happen

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Chows posted:

is that whole video just glitchy crap cos I'm not sittin through 10 minutes of it unless something really cool's gonna happen

Pretty much, but I think you could do some interesting stuff with it. When used in moderation.

10 minutes however is not in moderation.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
he should add drugs.

it couldn't hurt.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Those are both just videos to show what it *can* do and give some ideas to people. It isn't even calibrated yet and I have maybe an hour free time per day in which to schedule some time into that thing and mess around with it so do you think I could set something functional up with an hour per day? gently caress no. :( Sorry the videos are so long and repetitive, I still don't know what the hell I'm doing in Ableton yet.

So until I get some time off, I hope at least somebody sees the infinite potential of something like this along with me. This weekend I'll say gently caress off to everything and anything I had plans for and make something cool out of this poo poo.

And I'll do drugs. Just for ZombiePeanut.

Agreed posted:

Having it hooked up to that while attached to your guitar's headstock? Maybe if you're a guitar-playing robot or something, but the lack of control thanks to the fact that the headstock is way on the other end of a thing strapped to you that you're slamming around all the time seems like it would make it very difficult to have anything like precise control over anything.

It the exact and total opposite, I've found. There is no precise control with the ring attached to your strumming hand if that hand is moving even the slightest amount like it would when you're strumming a chord. I find it's a whole hell of a lot easier to control the X and Y sweep with the ring at the end of the headstock.

Edit: I'm going to post no more because I'm onto something huge and I wanna keep it secret.

P.S. I am a guitar playing robot, did you miss the Daft Punk tour shirt? ;)

Uintathere posted:

One inexpertly installed GK-3 pickup plus:

How's the tracking on that GK3? I've been thinking about grabbing one...

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 29, 2009

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Agreed posted:

[...]and he's using it to make the worst loving noises I've ever heard in my life.

While that is not audibly pleasing, I love when a guitar can sound nothing like a guitar. To me, it sounds like you could use this idea for electronic music, since you'd be moving around and jumping and all kinds of wacky poo poo.

E: Also I ordered Ultex Jazz III's, and I can't believe I'm excited to get picks.

Dzus fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 29, 2009

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Shine on, you crazy diamond. I hope whatever big midi craziness you've got planned works out. I don't think that video offers any sort of proof of concept of the "easy to control" thing, but if it's doing what you want it to, don't listen to me.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Agreed posted:

Shine on, you crazy diamond. I hope whatever big midi craziness you've got planned works out. I don't think that video offers any sort of proof of concept of the "easy to control" thing, but if it's doing what you want it to, don't listen to me.

Yeah, even I know that video doesn't really show how it controls. And it wasn't, really. I've got another one on Youtube where it's just the filter sweep and it does a better job of matching effect to cause visually. When I get this poo poo figured out I'll post something cohesive. :)

Edit: Also I loving fried my acoustiphonic and hexpander preamps so they're on their way back to Graphtech for replacements... Making my wait to finish that MIDI Jaguar like another month longer. :mad:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 29, 2009

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Handen posted:

How's the tracking on that GK3? I've been thinking about grabbing one...

The VG-99 mostly uses the audio picked up from the strings. But there is a guitar to midi function which I've had a little play with. It's pretty good, but you have to be fairly accurate with your playing. If you are a robot that makes things easier... :megaman:

And out of curiosity, what is it you're using in that demo video to do that sampling/looping/whatever sound?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Handen posted:

So until I get some time off, I hope at least somebody sees the infinite potential of something like this along with me. This weekend I'll say gently caress off to everything and anything I had plans for and make something cool out of this poo poo.

I like it. I mean, I'm into noise etc anyway, but I can see how it could be used in more coventional rock too. I might get one when I have a bit more money spare, it looks drat cool.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

this is in reference to the boss reissue of this guy (RE-20), hope thats what you were asking for, if not, disregard.

The space echo does some great ambient-styled sounds, especially with the decay of the repeats, pretty well done. Its nice to be able to adjust the bass and treble of the repeats as well. I personally dont readily hear all the subtle differences in the single head settings (especially live), and some of the settings are not as useful due to the tap tempo (which can be great by the way). All in all though, I think its a great pedal, it oscillates nicely and has that cool warp feature (increase tape speed and feedback?? simultaneously) when you hold down the tap tempo. I use a expression pedal wired to echo volume and it helps me duck out some of the echos when I dont want anything too intense. One nice feature is that when you increase or decrease the echo time, it mimics the tape running up to the new speed, which can sound cool if your trying to get that.

The preamp on it is always on, FYI.

Also, I hear alot about how much the reverb sucks on this unit, but I dont think its really that bad, its no fender amp, but it works together with the whole package alright, I usually keep mine set at 10-12 o'clock.

Ive considered getting rid of this pedal for other analog options, but I keep coming back to how much I like the sound, so its staying on my board for a while.

Pros: Great echo sound, saturated tape-decay, Tap tempo, warp feature, great for ambient work
Cons: large pedal, one trick pony, preamp (if you dont want it), reverb is "not that good"

hope this wasnt too long, and I realize I probably didnt use the right terminology and made some errors, so if someone wants to correct me on details or specifics about this pedal, please do so. Good luck checking this guy out. I picked mine over a DD20 because I figured that if I would only use one or 2 of the DD20s features, I might as well get the RE20 since it did the ambient sound quite well, and I had dd5s to do my sterile digital delays.

Enough info.

This is perfect, thanks for all the solid advice.

I'm in the market for a new delay pedal, I've tried the DD-20 and the Carbon copy, but I wasn't too impressed on either. The next one to try is the RE-20 which is why I asked for some advice before I gave it a whirl.

Call me insane, but I'm also not that impressed with the spring reverb on my deville. I've played around alot with some software reverb units, and I've yet to find anything that comes close, any reverb boxes that you can recommend?

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Dzus posted:

E: Also I ordered Ultex Jazz III's, and I can't believe I'm excited to get picks.

dont be. about a year ago i started using jazz picks (they're green dunlop jazz picks, same size as the Jazz III's) and they're incredible. they've actually helped my technique on my right hand. i have a lot more control with the sharper edge and the picks feel like they're the right size. those old fender heavies always felt too big and i never knew another way.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I just realized you could use the Hot Hands Headstock to activate starpower. :hellyeah:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
and

So begins my descent into maddness...

That is a "Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer Replica" compressor on the left and a "Dan Armstrong Green Ringer Replica" on the right, both order from GeneralGuitarGadgets. After some painful reminders of how to properly operate a soldering iron (protip: don't touch the metal part!) I got both of them assembled, and was quite satisfied with the results. I may end up re-soldering some of the power leads, but other than that they sound fantastic. One caveat I'd put forth is that I'd definitely reccomend using a powersupply from GGG, or at least a high quality one if you have one laying around -- I was getting all sorts of hum and noise, until I replaced my crappy Boss 9v brick (which is now reserved solely for digital pedals).

Based on my experiences, I'm definitely looking to construct some more pedals in the future (maybe something from BuildYourOwnClone.com) -- possibly even an amp if I feel cheeky. Definitely a rewarding experience, though.

I can put up picsof the inside and painted cases if anyone cares.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Hubis posted:

and

So begins my descent into maddness...

That is a "Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer Replica" compressor on the left and a "Dan Armstrong Green Ringer Replica" on the right, both order from GeneralGuitarGadgets. After some painful reminders of how to properly operate a soldering iron (protip: don't touch the metal part!) I got both of them assembled, and was quite satisfied with the results. I may end up re-soldering some of the power leads, but other than that they sound fantastic. One caveat I'd put forth is that I'd definitely reccomend using a powersupply from GGG, or at least a high quality one if you have one laying around -- I was getting all sorts of hum and noise, until I replaced my crappy Boss 9v brick (which is now reserved solely for digital pedals).

Based on my experiences, I'm definitely looking to construct some more pedals in the future (maybe something from BuildYourOwnClone.com) -- possibly even an amp if I feel cheeky. Definitely a rewarding experience, though.

I can put up picsof the inside and painted cases if anyone cares.

Please do I've been thinking about giving something like this a shot.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Speaking of homemade stuff... anyone have good schematics, parts list, and easy to follow instructions on making a good A/B switch?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
https://www.generalguitargadgets.co...emart&Itemid=45

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
I just got this and its holy poo poo awesome!

I did a little bit of ghetto rigging to get a wide range sounds, including a microphone to work. For the record I don't own a PA system or a stage mic.

I have my mandala electronic drum and a regular computer mic hooked up to none other than.. my computer. I took an aux input cable, plugged it from my speaker headphone jack to the AUX input on the back of the Boss (supposed to be used for CD/MD) and I can loop my microphone and mandala, as well as my bass, and guitar, all at the same time.

Glorious.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

pennywisdom posted:

This is perfect, thanks for all the solid advice.

I'm in the market for a new delay pedal, I've tried the DD-20 and the Carbon copy, but I wasn't too impressed on either. The next one to try is the RE-20 which is why I asked for some advice before I gave it a whirl.

Call me insane, but I'm also not that impressed with the spring reverb on my deville. I've played around alot with some software reverb units, and I've yet to find anything that comes close, any reverb boxes that you can recommend?

You are insane ;). Um...I dont use a reverb pedal at all, and havent in the past, but I know agreed is fond of the Marshall reflector. Ive seen people using dano and some boss pedals for this exact purpose as well. I think the most praise Ive seen comes from the line6 verbzilla, which can apparently make some great sounds.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Hubis posted:

badass kits
That's badass. I've been thinking about getting an A/B box from there...what do you think of the quality of their products?

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
quality or no, those are cheap enough to be great learning opportunities. i've been dying to get into pedal and amp building. 45 bucks for a decent overdrive pedal that i can learn off of sounds like a great way to start.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

ZoCrowes posted:

Please do I've been thinking about giving something like this a shot.

I'm still very much an amateur at all of this, however if there's interest I can throw some links together into a "DIY Amps and Effects" thread [unless we already have one/someone with more experience wants to].

Anyways, here are the finished products:

I'm running "[Guitar] > OSQ > GRO > Fuzz > Tremelo/Vibrato Pedal > [AMP][FX Send] > Chorus > Delay > [FX Return]"
The OSQ gives a really nice sustain sound -- simple, but definitely noticable. The GRO is kind of weird -- I'm not used to playing with octave pedals, so I don't know if the sound is normal -- but not bad, just unique. It sounds absolutely great when you run it through a Fuzz pedal, giving the soft and sometimes shapeless sound of my Big Muff just a touch of bite.

Here's a close up... I'd say one of the biggest challenges is getting a good, smooth finish that won't chip. I was a dufus and didn't primer them before I painted, but by going slowly I got a decent thick coat that will deal with a little abuse. I may go in and put a big thick layer of clear-coat on them as well if it becomes a problem.

Another option all the kit sites I've seen allow is just buying the parts without an enclosure, so that you can then buy a pre-drilled powder-coated enclosure like those at Pedal Parts Plus. From what I can tell, the powder coated enclosures are the way to go if you want durability.

The innards of these things are blissfully uncomplicated, mostly because I chose the two simplest kits for my first venture. Still, having done those, I definitely feel up to doing some more complicated boxes now.

If I were to build it again, I'd probably go with the BYOC Armstrong Twin which is basically the same thing, except both pedals are combined in serial into one box, with a neat rotary switch to switch between "Squeezer", "Ringer", and "Squeezer-into-Ringer" modes. I went with the two separate kits just because I figured if I screwed up during construction, I'd only run the risk of wasting half as much money at a time.

Equipment-wise, I'd say these are the bare necessities for either the BYOC or GGG kits:

* Soldering Station (I bought a WLC100 off of amazon.com for like $60 that's been perfect)
* Conical Iron Tip (important for being able to work in the confined space of PCB components -- the WLC100 does NOT come with one, but you can get one for like $5)
* Needle-Nose Pliers (for bending leads without damaging the component)
* Diagonal cutters (VERY nice for trimming leads off the PCB after you've soldered)
* Small-Gauge (about 20) Wire Strippers
* A desk lamp or something so you can put direct light on your work

As I said before, it's definitely something I'll do again in the future. GeneralGuitarGadgets instructions were great to follow, and though I didn't have any problems of my own, I've heard the kit sells both at GGG and BYOC are excellent, as are their communities. I'm probably going to try a BYOC pedal next (possibly their BYOC Mouse Pro Co RAT mega-clone) and then maybe go "off the grid" and do some stuff without kits.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

That's badass. I've been thinking about getting an A/B box from there...what do you think of the quality of their products?

The instructions (downloadable from their site as PDFs without even buying the kit) are very clear and easy to follow, and the switches/jacks/etc. all seem to have very nice quality. Since an A/B switch is all just enclosure and 3PDT switch soldering, I'd say it's a pretty low risk investment and I'd definitely recommend GGG for it based on my experience (unless you want to source all the parts yourself from Small Bear Electronics or Pedal Parts Plus, which is also an option).

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Uintathere posted:

The VG-99 mostly uses the audio picked up from the strings. But there is a guitar to midi function which I've had a little play with. It's pretty good, but you have to be fairly accurate with your playing. If you are a robot that makes things easier... :megaman:

And out of curiosity, what is it you're using in that demo video to do that sampling/looping/whatever sound?

:megaman: I'm using the Source Audio Hot-Hand MIDI-EXP with the sensor ring attached to the headstock of the guitar. I know it doesn't look like I'm really controlling anything in that video, but there's a few spots where I got something to happen. It's controlling the Beat Repeat audio effect on a guitar track in Ableton Live 7.

Stux posted:

I like it. I mean, I'm into noise etc anyway, but I can see how it could be used in more coventional rock too. I might get one when I have a bit more money spare, it looks drat cool.

I think it's one of the coolest guitar related purchases I've ever made. Can't wait to put it to functional use.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I just realized you could use the Hot Hands Headstock to activate starpower. :hellyeah:

That's where I got the headstock idea... ;)

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Catalinbread HyperPak
THis JUST got dropped off at my desk at work. I was looking for an overdrive pedal to use on my new amp that ISN'T a tube screamer clone and found this guy pretty cheap on ebay. The sound clips online were really good and it had a really unique character. I'm not anti-tube screamer, but those just don't give me what i have in my head.

It's striking how freaking small this thing is! it's even smaller than the small MXR pedals. THere's not even any room for a battery! freaking small.

can't wait to try it out!!!

For Loop fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 29, 2009

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
Just drove 50 miles there and back to pick up a Boss PS-5 for $75
tyvm craig!

Click here for the full 500x833 image.

It's like, there's not just two of me, but we can play together.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Sorry for it being a crappy cell phone picture, but it's the only camera I currently have. I just started playing, it's a 30W Peavey Vypyr and a Greg Bennett Avion in natural finish. I originally ordered a blue one, but it was damaged in shipping. The music store I got this at ordered this one for the shelf, and I liked it, so I took it instead. The Jackson belongs to a friend, he just let me borrow it to goof around while I waited on my guitar to show up.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 30, 2009

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is the ugly guitars thread, right? Point me in the right direction if I'm wrong...

Found this for sale in a local livejournal community for $200. Yamaha AES-500, which was about $350 new in 1999 dollars (I'm guessing; the MSRP was $650 but guitars never go for MSRP). Offered them $80 and took it home for $100. This is quite possibly the most un-photogenic guitar ever, but it does have a certain charm to it. Did I mention it came with a Yamaha hard case? The bottom knob doubles as a single/dual pickup switch.

It looks like you could stuff a les paul style guitar in there, but the case is matched to this guitar, whose body is about 2" shorter than a les paul. Certianly the best playing $100 guitar I've ever owned. The girl I bought it from threw in a glittery silver strap-lok strap too. Plays like a dream. I'm convinced Yamaha doesn't make a bad guitar.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 30, 2009

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

Hadlock posted:

... I'm convinced Yamaha doesn't make a bad guitar.

I'm with you on that. My first guitar was a Yamaha SJ-180 from the 80's. It's been dropped countless times, has two generations of teethmarks on the body, and is owned by an irresponsible teenager currently. If that guitar didn't play so well for it's age and didn't feel so good, it would be long gone. I love that drat thing.
Yamaha pretty much has a good rep in my book.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Thoreau-Up posted:

I'm with you on that. My first guitar was a Yamaha SJ-180 from the 80's. It's been dropped countless times, has two generations of teethmarks on the body, and is owned by an irresponsible teenager currently. If that guitar didn't play so well for it's age and didn't feel so good, it would be long gone. I love that drat thing.
Yamaha pretty much has a good rep in my book.

Yamaha is seriously the one company thats a jack of all trades and master of everything.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Minto Took posted:

and master of everything.
Their software division kind of sucks. Editors are horribly convoluted and they aren't pumping enough cash in Cubase (which has its own track record of sucking).

Plus they dropped AN, VL and FM synthesis :(.

However, they were among the first with all their manuals published as PDFs on their site while Roland's still not giving 'm away for free and Korg isn't doing it either - and the recent redesign of their site completely broke all legacy products.

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

Finally got the full stack rocking with the addition of a second matching cabinet.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Yoozer posted:

Their software division kind of sucks. Editors are horribly convoluted and they aren't pumping enough cash in Cubase (which has its own track record of sucking).

Plus they dropped AN, VL and FM synthesis :(.

However, they were among the first with all their manuals published as PDFs on their site while Roland's still not giving 'm away for free and Korg isn't doing it either - and the recent redesign of their site completely broke all legacy products.

But seriously, what other company can you think of where you can buy a guitar and a dirt bike from?

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

The Stizzle posted:

Finally got the full stack rocking with the addition of a second matching cabinet.

That's a great looking stack. I get the feeling I'll be able to hear it from here.

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

qball posted:

That's a great looking stack. I get the feeling I'll be able to hear it from here.

It sounds amazing. Live, I play it with both cabs on the ground. The "clean" channel isn't clean at all, and has one of the best overdriven-gain sounds ever. I want another head so I can a/b it with distortion on one side, and the dirty-clean channel on the other.
And yes: it's LOUD. It sounds like the sky is falling, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Handen posted:

It's controlling the Beat Repeat audio effect on a guitar track in Ableton Live 7.
This is the part I was asking about, thanks. Does anyone know of anything that can do this for cheap/free? I don't feel like paying for all of Live just to get one cool effect.

Yoozer posted:

However, they were among the first with all their manuals published as PDFs on their site while Roland's still not giving 'm away for free
I got the manual for the VG-99 online, before I'd even bought it.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

The Stizzle posted:

Ohhh myyyy gooddddd. That is ridiculous. What kind of music do you play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Pfft calm down guys it's not a real Model T it's a loving lovely rebranded Fender probably sounds like poo poo (I hate you dude, you have some nice stuff)