Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Ashcans posted:

I would say that the dragon is going to put V on the ropes bad enough that he will have to deal with the Imp, but I'm at a loss as to what the Imp could actually do to help - teleport them away I guess?

I don't know if you remember the Imp conjuring a massive loving demon before, but that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
But only because that particular demon owed him; he's unlikely to have more powerful demons that lost at cards to him.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I would say that the dragon is going to put V on the ropes bad enough that he will have to deal with the Imp, but I'm at a loss as to what the Imp could actually do to help - teleport them away I guess?

Can't he do the summoning thing again?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

terminal mehmet posted:

Can't he do the summoning thing again?

No, because the demon who owed the imp a favor is currently being the world's most awesome tombstone.

Also this dragon is badass.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

I'm guessing this is about where V is going to "say the right words at the right time to the right person" to gain ultimate power, as the Oracle predicted.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nosy_G posted:

I'm guessing this is about where V is going to "say the right words at the right time to the right person" to gain ultimate power, as the Oracle predicted.

Don't forget it has to be "for the wrong reasons". To save his own life doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I bet the "right words at the right time to the right person" are to the dragon and not the imp just to gently caress with us.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

seaborgium posted:

Don't forget it has to be "for the wrong reasons". To save his own life doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.
It can be when it saps you of your free will.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
So momma dragon is an ancient black dragon, which puts her at least at CR 19, plus whatever else she has that boosts her sorcerer spells. Sorry V, start railing at the DM. This is right up there with Roy vs. Xykon in terms of poorly stacked combat.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm loving "revenge dragon out of nowhere". As much as I rally for OOTS against all the negative criticism that has been nonstop since the battle for Azure City (remember the bouncy ball arguments? MAN) I willfully admit this is the coolest thing to happen since.

Also, someone answer my previous Xykon questions, because I've seriously only played D&D like three times and have no idea how liches work in the grand scheme of things.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wolfsheim posted:

Just out of curiosity, say Xykon gets killed and the phylactery smashed. What happens to him? Wouldn't he still be an immensely powerful spirit in the chaotic evil afterlife, or whatever? Couldn't he still come back?

Undead, once destroyed, are gone forever. Their souls are bound to the body and if the body is destroyed, the soul is gone too.

Liches can only come back because their soul is in the phylactery.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
So they don't go to the Chaotic Evil afterlife or whatever? They just cease to be?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Yep. One of the few downsides to undeadness.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Vicissitude posted:

Yep. One of the few downsides to undeadness.

Given the nature of the CE afterlife, I think we could call it a benefit of undeath.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Pretty interesting thing to take note off.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html

Panel 7, remember this is after the party kills baby dragon :)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

LightWarden posted:

So momma dragon is an ancient black dragon, which puts her at least at CR 19, plus whatever else she has that boosts her sorcerer spells. Sorry V, start railing at the DM. This is right up there with Roy vs. Xykon in terms of poorly stacked combat.

I think this is the GM punishing V for going off on his own and splitting the party even further. Which is somewhat ironic, considering the 'GM' is Burlew and he's punishing us with this split-up stuff in an entirely different, but similar, way.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Affi posted:

Pretty interesting thing to take note off.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html

Panel 7, remember this is after the party kills baby dragon :)

Yeah, that sounds about right. And the dragon did say it had information about V. Do we think the party as a whole could take the dragon?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Given some of the other stuff on GITP, there being serious consequences for killing a youngish black dragon makes sense. If you look under his D&D stuff, there's a black dragon assassin; a black dragon who learned that hey, other dragons will pay him big-time to kill the adventurers that killed their kin! And adventurers have all these cool magic items, usually! And none of them anticipate there being a horrible mass of black acidic ravenous death under their bed at night!

It makes me a terrible person but I really like the latest Erfworld.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Ze Pollack posted:

Man I really wish I was into D&D more because that sounds pretty exciting

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ze Pollack posted:

Given some of the other stuff on GITP, there being serious consequences for killing a youngish black dragon makes sense. If you look under his D&D stuff, there's a black dragon assassin; a black dragon who learned that hey, other dragons will pay him big-time to kill the adventurers that killed their kin! And adventurers have all these cool magic items, usually! And none of them anticipate there being a horrible mass of black acidic ravenous death under their bed at night!

It makes me a terrible person but I really like the latest Erfworld.

That Black Dragon assassin not only has great backstory and flavor, but it is freaking terrifying in a fight. It can cast Greater Invisibility on itself and make sneak attacks all day long.

When any monster's round-by-round tactics include anything like the words "if the target is still alive" you know it's badass.

This thing is small enough to squeeze through most windows and can cast spells that allow it to stick to walls and ceilings. Imagine waking up and there's a loving dragon on the ceiling over your bed.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I wonder if the sound your front door makes as it melts off its hinges is enough to wake you out of a decent rem sleep

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So hey, here's a thought: if presumably Rich meant 'Antimagic Field' instead of 'Antimagic Shell', which I can't find anywhere, that would mean that the dragon can cast at least 6th-level Sorcerer spells-- requiring an effective Sorcerer level of 12. As this handy-dandy chart illustrates, a black dragon doesn't meet or exceed that level of spellcasting until the Wyrm stage.

Which means essentially throwing a 34 HD monster at a 13th level Wizard, by his lonesome. I think I'm gonna move away from my 'punishing the character for splitting' theory and head firmly into a 'stole the GM's girlfriend' level of spite.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

The Dragon posted:

I must admit, I too have a passion for the arcane arts... even moreso than others of my kind.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a problem, the dragon just has a higher caster level. The imp already said that this is an ancient black dragon, which is an 11th level caster, so it's not like it's a huge jump.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Cabbit posted:

Which means essentially throwing a 34 HD monster at a 13th level Wizard, by his lonesome. I think I'm gonna move away from my 'punishing the character for splitting' theory and head firmly into a 'stole the GM's girlfriend' level of spite.

Or it is GM shock tactics, which sometimes have to be used on party members who are being, shall we say, less then cooperative. Much like the Mark of Justice on belkar, I think the dragon's purpose is to get V (whose player is being a total dick) back in line.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Cabbit posted:

So hey, here's a thought: if presumably Rich meant 'Antimagic Field' instead of 'Antimagic Shell', which I can't find anywhere, that would mean that the dragon can cast at least 6th-level Sorcerer spells-- requiring an effective Sorcerer level of 12. As this handy-dandy chart illustrates, a black dragon doesn't meet or exceed that level of spellcasting until the Wyrm stage.

The dragon said that she was exceptionally skilled at arcane magic for her kind. To me that says sorcerer levels on top of her innate draconic spellcasting, which should stack. It would only take one to have her casting as a 12th level sorceror.

If the imp hadn't IDed her as Ancient I would have guessed she was in the Mature Adult to Old range.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
Well, I'm sure V's glad he/she is only facing an Ancient dragon, and not a Wyrm! That makes a huge difference!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

KOraithER posted:

Well, I'm sure V's glad he/she is only facing an Ancient dragon, and not a Wyrm! That makes a huge difference!

Well, the difference from Ancient to Wyrm is a whole size category, and that thing looks like it's starting a grapple. Seems important to me!

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
An Ancient dragon still gets a +50 on its grapple check. Unless V gets some massive modifiers I can't think of, I doubt it makes a difference.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
ConfusedUs jolted my memory about Burlew's little gaming section, I wish he'd keep updating that, especially his world-building scheme, that was very interesting to read about.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Nosy G posted:

seaborgium posted:

I thought the four right words (said at the right time, to the right person, for the wrong reason), were "Disintegrate. Gust of wind."

If you write, I will make it better.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Parahexavoctal posted:

I thought the four right words (said at the right time, to the right person, for the wrong reason), were "Disintegrate. Gust of wind."

I don't think we know yet. If they've been said, we certainly haven't been informed of it, and knowing Burlew he'll toss a bunch of red herrings in.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

KOraithER posted:

An Ancient dragon still gets a +50 on its grapple check. Unless V gets some massive modifiers I can't think of, I doubt it makes a difference.

Freedom of Movement. :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Vicissitude posted:

Freedom of Movement. :v:

Anti-magic shell

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

greatn posted:

Anti-magic shell

Sudden discovery of latent psionic powers

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZorbaTHut posted:

I don't think we know yet. If they've been said, we certainly haven't been informed of it, and knowing Burlew he'll toss a bunch of red herrings in.

Wait a second. How many times has V said "disintegrate" to the Imp at this point?

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Exactly 4 times.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Sick_Boy posted:

Sudden discovery of latent psionic powers

Psionics/Magic Transparency.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Dragon is time traveler, highly advanced enterprise beams V out to preserve timeline?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Sudden discovery of latent extraordinary powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

greatn posted:

Dragon is time traveler, highly advanced enterprise beams V out to preserve timeline?

Rolling a natural 20.