Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
jesus, dude. way to poo poo on that dude's setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
yeah I'm kidding. I really want a Sunn, reissue or original.

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

Catastrophe posted:

Ohhh myyyy gooddddd. That is ridiculous. What kind of music do you play?
Grindcore/powerviolence/loudfastcrazyshit

the wizards beard posted:

Pfft calm down guys it's not a real Model T it's a loving lovely rebranded Fender probably sounds like poo poo (I hate you dude, you have some nice stuff)
Funny thing is, I have played the original T's, and I actually prefer these, as no distortion pedals are required. I'm a plug-in-and-play kind of guy. Guitar > cable > amp.

This is like the 20th Sunn I've owned. Been playing them for 23+ years.

Wang Broom: it was sarcasm: He was taking on the holier-than-thou Sunn nerd persona. I have them beat. My entire right arm is a Sunn sleeve. And I don't play generic loving doom/stoner poo poo. And I think the band Sunn are a bunch of jack-offs for ruining my once favorite-cheap amps, and making dickheads drive the prices up to astronomical levels. Thankfully I got my hands on this stuff before it got too crazy. I used to buy Sunn Betas or Concert Leads for $75-$100 each.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
That's awesome, but did you throw in a Black Flag logo at the bottom?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Wang Broom posted:

jesus, dude. way to poo poo on that dude's setup.

The part he put in quotes gives away the fact he was just joking/jealous.

Anyway, reissue or not, two 4x12s driven by a Model T is going to be LOUD.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Do you guys playing loud amps actually get to crank them much? I've played in practice spaces with 50W amps turned up and my head would ring for hours afterwards. At most DIY gigs I go to people just turn up half-way through single 4x12s and that does a room with maybe 50 people.

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

That's awesome, but did you throw in a Black Flag logo at the bottom?
I've had my bars forever on both wrists. It's what's under the bars now that keeps it real:

And yes, I turn them up as loud as the drummer can keep up. Sometimes to saturate the not-so-clean channel, I hit the switch that turns it from 100 watts to 25 watts, and it's still really loving loud.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Do you guys playing loud amps actually get to crank them much? I've played in practice spaces with 50W amps turned up and my head would ring for hours afterwards. At most DIY gigs I go to people just turn up half-way through single 4x12s and that does a room with maybe 50 people.

My 100w Engl with channel and master on 5 through an Orange 212 physically hurts my ears. I'm going to move down to a 60w 6505 I think.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Stux posted:

My 100w Engl with channel and master on 5 through an Orange 212 physically hurts my ears. I'm going to move down to a 60w 6505 I think.

100W vs 60W is like 2 or 3db of difference. It's not going to be like half the volume or anything. Around 20W would be half the maximum volume and you aren't even maxing out your Engl sooo... very little difference even then. A coworker of mine came over to my place to show off his new 120W solid-state Peavey amp head and check out my amps which were, at the time, a 120W Peavey 5150 and a 15W (max) THD Univalve. I put in a 6V6 power tube set to the amp's low-plate-voltage setting so it would put out around 4W. He was laughing at how silly it'd be to play a guitar amp with 'only' 4W. I turned the amp's attenuator off, turned the volume to around "4" and hit a chord and he jumped back and clapped his hands over his ears in shock. :guitar:

Mainly, I bought a 120W Electric Amp amp because I want it to have complete confidence and authority with low-notes instead of having a 15W power section straining to keep up. More wattage is needed to push out those frequencies and while a lower wattage amp might get the same overall volume, it will be lacking the thunderous low-end that I want. I certainly don't need 120W for the decibels.

I have my first band practice with the new amp tomorrow. We'll see how it works when cranked and how much of its volume I really use in that setting.

EDIT: Which Engl do you have? Now that I have the one-trick-pony dream amp I've always wanted for the fuzzy doom/sludge/stoner metal sound, about the only amp in the world I still want so I can get both switchable cleans and a modern high-gain tight metal sound is an Engl Powerball. Mmmmmmm MMM!

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 30, 2009

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

yeah I'm kidding. I really want a Sunn, reissue or original.

gotcha. glad to see ML isn't the gear page.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Wang Broom posted:

gotcha. glad to see ML isn't the gear page.

Just reading the thread titles here is a relief, knowing not EVERYONE on the site only wants a "Dumble", Dr Z, Germino, Matchless, or whatever other amp 60 year old wannabe blues players drool over because it has "tone for days". You can't post about a normal amplifier over there without some doofus stepping in to say it has too many knobs and every amp only needs a Tone and Volume knob and be 18W MAX. :colbert:

My god, what a boring site over there.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Haha, every web site that isn't TheGearPage hates TheGearPage. That's amazing.

I just got in a couple of pedals for review from Tom at Fuzzhugger:

First, the Algal Bloom

and also the 1134 Fuzz

Reviews and clips of these pedals, along with some other neat stuff, will be appearing in the March-April edition of FrugalGuitarist.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
ha ha. true. those dudes are all into one kind of tone. I've learned a lot from that site though. learned a hell of a lot about equipment, and also learned about value. with most equipment, especially amps, most folks don't see the diminishing returns they are getting for their money. sure those fancy Swart's and Fargen's have a lot of nice sound going on, but when i show up to a gig with my peavey, an audience isn't going to notice or care.

That said, i've learned that it's best to buy the best you can afford, without getting equipment that's complete overkill. Yes, for most people, 18 watts IS enough, but YMMV. Plus, it's your money so buy what sounds good to YOU. that's all this gear chase means anything to.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

The Stizzle posted:

Finally got the full stack rocking with the addition of a second matching cabinet.

My god that's awesomely huge....I have the same CD/DVD shelves from ikea. How much do your neighbours hate you?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

The Stizzle posted:

gently caress yeah

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

The Stizzle posted:

This is one of my favorite sleeve pieces of all time. Also I am ridiculously jealous of your stack.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Catastrophe posted:

My god, what a boring site over there.

If I want to know more about what a certain piece of gear does I'll search TGP but there's some ridiculous poo poo:

quote:

Also, ditch the Diezel and get an AC30 or Vibrolux

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Catastrophe posted:

100W vs 60W is like 2 or 3db of difference. It's not going to be like half the volume or anything. Around 20W would be half the maximum volume and you aren't even maxing out your Engl sooo... very little difference even then. A coworker of mine came over to my place to show off his new 120W solid-state Peavey amp head and check out my amps which were, at the time, a 120W Peavey 5150 and a 15W (max) THD Univalve. I put in a 6V6 power tube set to the amp's low-plate-voltage setting so it would put out around 4W. He was laughing at how silly it'd be to play a guitar amp with 'only' 4W. I turned the amp's attenuator off, turned the volume to around "4" and hit a chord and he jumped back and clapped his hands over his ears in shock. :guitar:

Mainly, I bought a 120W Electric Amp amp because I want it to have complete confidence and authority with low-notes instead of having a 15W power section straining to keep up. More wattage is needed to push out those frequencies and while a lower wattage amp might get the same overall volume, it will be lacking the thunderous low-end that I want. I certainly don't need 120W for the decibels.

I have my first band practice with the new amp tomorrow. We'll see how it works when cranked and how much of its volume I really use in that setting.

EDIT: Which Engl do you have? Now that I have the one-trick-pony dream amp I've always wanted for the fuzzy doom/sludge/stoner metal sound, about the only amp in the world I still want so I can get both switchable cleans and a modern high-gain tight metal sound is an Engl Powerball. Mmmmmmm MMM!

Yeah I know but its still going to be a bit quieter. I'm also getting it for portablity (the 6505 112).

And my engl?

:smug:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Stux posted:

Yeah I know but its still going to be a bit quieter. I'm also getting it for portablity (the 6505 112).

And my engl?
:smug:

Ohhh.... so you should probably let me know when you want to sell that....

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Catastrophe posted:

Ohhh.... so you should probably let me know when you want to sell that....

Not even joking its for sale right now. But I'm in the UK :smith:

tommej
Apr 18, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Stux posted:

Not even joking its for sale right now. But I'm in the UK :smith:

location/price?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

quote:

Anyone in the UK interested in an Engl Powerball head with Z-5 footswitch? Its basically as new although I don't have the manual. Never been gigged, stock tubes but hardly used and when it has been it hasn't been pushed very hard.

Looking for about £850 ono. I'm in Somerset and I'd really prefer a collection and cash in hand if possible, I probably won't ship except in extreme circumstances, and I won't ship outside the UK at all, sorry. If you collect it you can try it out at the same time through an Orange 212 although you'll need to bring a guitar. I'm not against taking it somewhere but we'll need to discuss it and I can't go that far out. I have plat so PM me if you're interested.

The cab isn't for sale though.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Uintathere posted:

This is the part I was asking about, thanks. Does anyone know of anything that can do this for cheap/free? I don't feel like paying for all of Live just to get one cool effect.

I got the manual for the VG-99 online, before I'd even bought it.

A friend of mine saw the video and told me about a free VST called LiveCut that does the same thing, though I have yet to figure it out. So if you get any software that can use VSTs, find LiveCut and do it that way maybe?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Uintathere posted:

This is the part I was asking about, thanks. Does anyone know of anything that can do this for cheap/free? I don't feel like paying for all of Live just to get one cool effect.

http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/2005/07/livecut.php
Better however is http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
$150 away from this:

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Pirateparty posted:

$150 away from this:

I love the plain, slightly-birdseyed maple top. It looks good, but rugged. Like the guitar is a no-nonsense workhorse made to endure gallons of sweat, blood, beer, and whiskey. It is the veritable Clint Eastwood of electric guitars.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

I love the plain, slightly-birdseyed maple top. It looks good, but rugged. Like the guitar is a no-nonsense workhorse made to endure gallons of sweat, blood, beer, and whiskey. It is the veritable Clint Eastwood of electric guitars.

I've noticed I'm much more tolerant of mega metally guitar body shapes if they're done with cool natural wood finishes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I wouldn't call the super strat a mega metally shape.

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001
In Reverse Chron:
First my most recent purchase:

I really like these basses, and noone seems to know about them. Kramer Focus 7000, neck by ESP, pickups sound nice and punchy, all for around 200$. This is the second one i've bought, the first being one I bought for a friends little brother who wanted to get an electric after playing upright at school for a year. Gonna throw a torotiseshell pickguard on there and sell it to one of my punk friends who needs a new bass, for cost of course! Guess the secret is out of the bag.

next,

Korg Microkontrol. Having my first real software job, I want to get back into computer music. I've been toying with renoise for the past couple of months and I like the amount of sample fucker it can do. Just got this the other day (for 175) and it seems like it has the features I'm looking for, but I'm still not sure how to map it to various VST params. Any Renoise/Microkontrol experts?

Next: Peavey T-60 .

These things seem to have skyrocketed in the past couple of months. I got mine for 225 shipped with the OHSC. I really like the neck and body size, but from what we looked at , it really seems like someone rewired the internals in a very strange way, it was definitely not at the specs we saw online. So we got rid of all of it and just have it going straight now, but it's really quiet. NOT SURE WHY, people seem to bug out over the pickups on these things. Gonna stick a new humbucker up front and a pair of fender single coils in the back as a faux-humbucker. Should be cool.

Next: The mighty BOGEN

This thing rules. It's a 10 watt pa from the late 60s which we stuck a 1/4" input on and jammed it into an old univox cab I had (my first bass amp). Sounds great, sounds like a fender champ. With the pictured RealTube Overdrive in front of it this thing really gets humming, with bass or guitar. 90 BUCKS + effort = awesome. Got the Realtube for 90 as well and it's a great box.

Lastly:

A fretless my dad put together. Lined fretless board, Swamp ash body. heavy as gently caress. Gotta get it back to him, or we're gonna sell it to a kind soul who needs a very nice 4string fretless.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

glennnyc posted:

T-60

sup T-60 buddy

I would HIGHLY reccomend a pickup upgrade as well as getting some new electronics. I got a vintage kit from RSguitarworks and some custom made pickups from highorderpickups.com and it sounds like a whole new instrument.

The pickups are especially awesome. Jeff at highorder is great about finding out what kind of pickups you need and getting you the right kind of pickup. They are the most open and articulate pickups i've ever used and they cost less than a set of Seymour Duncan's.

By the way, $225 is a steal. I usually see them for at least $100 more on ebay and craigslist.

Mountain Dew
Feb 22, 2001
The Hole Is The Law
Uh huh. Picked this up off craigslist today. Put on some new strings and she screams like she should.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I like how Dean can take something as simple as the LP and just make it their own :)

Impper
May 10, 2003

Seriously, that thing is probably one of the ugliest guitars I've ever seen but it still looks cool. Props

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Edit: Snagged one of these used for cheap on eBay.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 1, 2009

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

You guys with Peavey T-s make me jealous. I really like how they look, very classy. Some of the prettiest finishes I've seen, the close photos look great.

Mountain Dew posted:

Uh huh. Picked this up off craigslist today. Put on some new strings and she screams like she should.

Lesplorer?

Expaul?

I don't even know anymore, but I do like that one better than most Deans I've seen.

Edit: For those keeping score, this is not contradicting my professed love for Dean Vs. I still get wood thinking about that hot, wide headstock.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Stux posted:

I wouldn't call the super strat a mega metally shape.

Well, I mean, it's no bc rich but the standard ibanez body shape pretty obviously caters to the crowd that likes pointy bits on their guitar. The one I was thinking of specifically when I said that was this though:

edit:

quote:

For those keeping score, this is not contradicting my professed love for Dean Vs. I still get wood thinking about that hot, wide headstock.

Do you get it whenever you break a string at the nut? :v:

ZombiePeanut fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 1, 2009

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

ZombiePeanut posted:

Nah, I hear he gets it when he fingers A minor... :v:

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

ZombiePeanut posted:

Well, I mean, it's no bc rich but the standard ibanez body shape pretty obviously caters to the crowd that likes pointy bits on their guitar. The one I was thinking of specifically when I said that was this though:

edit:

Jesus christ that's a beautiful guitar. It's an EX series but not the EX-400 due to the headstock. WTF is it, how much, and where can I get it (in that beautiful wood finish)?

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
it's an FX. That's the FX260, and there was an FX400 but now I can't find it.

edit: oh and if you actually go to buy one, make sure you see the actual guitar. Spalted maple is very, very random as it's a result of some kind of fungus or something.

ZombiePeanut fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

ZombiePeanut posted:

Jazz players play ibanezes :colbert: