Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

GazChap posted:

Most UK models have the indicator/light controls on the left-hand side of the steering wheel, with wiper controls on the right.

Japanese cars tend to reverse this from my experience.
My triumph toledo (very british and RHD) has the indicator stalk on the right, and the headlight and wiper controls on left of the dash behind the steering wheel, which requires arm contortions to switch on, made even worse by non parking wipers and a broken knob replaced with just enough electrical tape so that you can grip it :argh: But I guess it is an exception rathter than the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brae
Feb 2, 2006

An 08 335xi I bought last year. The turbo 6 is deliciously smooth and buttery.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

corrosive23 posted:

08 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L V8
When you open the hood on that thing, does the lip from the grille stay there? It seems odd that it'd get in the way like that.

phade
Oct 8, 2006
My 2008 Lexus IS F that I just picked up at the beginning of December. It's going to be making the 2300 mile journey from Calgary, Alberta to Beaumont, Texas in a couple weeks when I relocate for work. I can't say I'm going to be very disappointed to leave the snow behind.

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

phade posted:

My 2008 Lexus IS F that I just picked up at the beginning of December. It's going to be making the 2300 mile journey from Calgary, Alberta to Beaumont, Texas in a couple weeks when I relocate for work. I can't say I'm going to be very disappointed to leave the snow behind.

Is anyone making aftermarket non-retarded exhaust tips for that yet? Love the car completely besides those stupid things.

mental_abortion
Jan 29, 2009

phade posted:

My 2008 Lexus IS F

Beautiful car, I've always loved the look of the IS F. How do you like the 8 speed slushbox?

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

brae posted:

An 08 335xi I bought last year. The turbo 6 is deliciously smooth and buttery.

Everytime I see these things on the road I just cant bring myself to believe that there is a twin turbo I6 under the hood. Especially if theyre factory stock like that, with those rims and all. Theyre just the ultimate sleeper car for me. If I saw one on the road and didnt know about it my exact thoughts would be, "335?, oh its probably like ~220 horse tops. It looks so "unsporty". Watch me blow the doors off this thing."

I was driving the WRX on the interstate one day, holding my own at 80mph, when all of a sudden one of these right behind me just opens it up. It glided silently right past me like I wasnt even moving. Quite impressive.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

ThwartedEfforts posted:

Left- or right-hand drive?

Those of us who drive on the right side of the road have the wiper stalk nearest the glass. I'd love to know what dictates this, as not only is it the other way around for left-hand drive cars, but some manufacturers also swap the stalks over so that the indicators are nearest the glass in all markets. For example my UK model Cadillac had the American "lazy boy" setup. Stick in D, slouch against the door, your index finger pushing the indicator up or down at junctions and your left hand free to grope passengers and consume beverages -- hence the obsession with cupholders :)

It was right hand drive but they didn't mirror the driving column, they just shifted it over.
I don't drive a lot of LHD natives so I don't know what common practice is when they export to RHD markets, but I found it annoying that Ford cheaped out.

Like the guy said you can easily get used to it, but then you drive any other car and have to retrain yourself.

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander

DropShadow posted:

This is the only Ford I'd consider purchasing. If Ford & GM started selling their European models here a decade ago, we wouldn't be in this mess.

They did and it didnt work....and it isnt working now.

turnerburna fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 30, 2009

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

turnerburna posted:

They did and it didnt work....and it isnt working now.

True. The Contour was quite the pile of poo poo. I guess I'm specifically talking about cars from the not-too-distant past like that Focus or the new Mondeo. Instead, we get a new Fusion that looks like the Mondeo's retarded cousin. Which I guess it is.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

ThwartedEfforts posted:

I'd love to know what dictates this
Isn't it set up so that the turn signals are operated by the hand that isn't doing the shifting in a manual car?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Korwen posted:

Pretty Bonneville. Out of curiosity do you have a lot of people come up to you and complement you on your GTO? Either way, hooray for old american iron.

edit: Was the GTO based on the Lemans? Getting my Pontiacs confused perhaps.

MrSaturn posted:

Yeah, it was. The first GTOs were actually LeMans GTOs. Still, confusable to the untrained eye.

Only a couple of folks have confused it with a Goat. It's a hell of a lot larger.

It's also an unrestored original survivor. I like people to touch, handle & get in it at car shows. Most folks would never get a chance otherwise. I'm putting off a re-paint because of that, & also because I like driving it around & running errands, etc; the 389 however will be getting a thorough (stock) rebuild sometime in the next two years (cylinder/ring wear=compression issues & blowback). She still gets out of her own way in a hurry.

CatBus posted:

My 1978 IH Scout II, as it currently sits (14 years and counting frozenphil, eat your heart out):

I can't wait to see this done. I may die before that happens, though... :/

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 30, 2009

phade
Oct 8, 2006

DoesNotCompute posted:

Is anyone making aftermarket non-retarded exhaust tips for that yet? Love the car completely besides those stupid things.

I know there are a couple aftermarket exhaust setups that have recently come out for the IS F, one of which maintains the quad exhaust tips and the other replaces them with big duals. I like the quad tips myself, but it's definitely the complaint I hear most about the car.

mental_abortion posted:

Beautiful car, I've always loved the look of the IS F. How do you like the 8 speed slushbox?

I find that it's pretty transparent in most situations. The only time I have an issue with it is shifting into manual mode while I'm moving and having to shift down 2 or 3 times to get into the power band.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

DropShadow posted:

True. The Contour was quite the pile of poo poo. I guess I'm specifically talking about cars from the not-too-distant past like that Focus or the new Mondeo. Instead, we get a new Fusion that looks like the Mondeo's retarded cousin. Which I guess it is.
I think every time Detroit has brought product from overseas arms is has been a mess.

The Opel GT was not a hot seller for GM.
The Ford Cortina didn't set North America on fire.
The two cars Ford brought over as Merkurs were a sales disaster.
The Contour was a piece of poo poo.
The neo-GTO didn't sell well for Pontiac and neither is the G8.

The Ford Focus is the bright spot, and its perception in America is much better after the changes that made it more different than the Euro model (styling, Mazda engine, SYNC).

Enthusiasts claim they want the cool stuff from overseas that isn't sold here, but enthusiasts don't buy a lot of brand new cars.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PBCrunch posted:

I think every time Detroit has brought product from overseas arms is has been a mess.

The Ford Cortina didn't set North America on fire.
The two cars Ford brought over as Merkurs were a sales disaster.
The Contour was a piece of poo poo.

Don't forget the Capri, which was quoted as being "The most Mustang-like vehicle in our line-up" in a board meeting in '73*, indirectly leading to the Mustang II.

And we all know how that turned out.

*Citation needed.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, the problem's not in the product, it's an endemic thing. The companies don't market it well, don't price it competitively, and they are almost always distinct enough that people aren't naturally inclined to associate them with a particular brand/branding.

Look at the G8/GTO. Great car, sold well elsewhere, but here, it was plunked down beside apathetic badge jobs (G6), tired old workhorses (Grand Prix), and :vomit: (Aaaaaaaaaztek). If GM had, from the outset, gone completely batshit insane, and branded the GTO as a Chevy, and marketed it alonside the Corvette, I don't doubt that it would have sold better. You'd have had middle aged guys going in, looking for a midlife crisis car, and when they got the death stare from their wives, picked up something marginally more practical, while forgoing very little in terms of :awesome:

*shrug* It's all part and parcel of the same apathy that causes the big 3 to leave product rotting on the vine *cough* Focus *cough* rather than updating it to keep up with its direct competition.

Rogun
Jan 9, 2009
Pics kinda lame. Still has the big stupid sticker on the windshield the dealer put on. But whatever, heres my ride at Buttonwillow in CA.

Motorcycle. For sale, if anyone wants. In SoCal

ThwartedEfforts
Aug 20, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

Isn't it set up so that the turn signals are operated by the hand that isn't doing the shifting in a manual car?

You would have thought this but as I stated in my prior message on most right-hand drive cars the control layout is exactly the same as on left-hand drive cars, meaning for us the wiper stalk is nearest the glass. If you were to say that doesn't make sense I would agree with you, it doesn't. The annoying thing is that a decade or so ago manufacturer's did make the effort to swap-over, meaning you could change gears and signal at the same time. I blame accountants.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Rogun posted:

The R8 is nice and all, but goddamn you have a sweet bike. I love that cafe racer look.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Rogun posted:

Pics kinda lame. Still has the big stupid sticker on the windshield the dealer put on. But whatever, heres my ride at Buttonwillow in CA.

I know its trying to be mid engine super car like, but the front of the car always looks out of proportion. Too small given the size of its mid and rear section. The Gallardo has a similar small front end, but its transition to the front is a little more organic. But I'm nitpicking of course, because it is still more striking than most everything else on the road.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DropShadow posted:

True. The Contour was quite the pile of poo poo.

:smith:

(bit of a fanboy here)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rogun posted:

Motorcycle. For sale, if anyone wants. In SoCal

I need more information on that bike. I need it.

Rogun
Jan 9, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I need more information on that bike. I need it.

http://www.lightningrodmotorcycles.com/DaytonaSpecial.html

The website of the guy who built it. This bike was first built out of 3 like it. Look for the links on the page for even more information on the bike from magazines.

The first owner was a doctor in Tampa Bay, who bought it from the maker, Steve Carr. Im the 2nd owner. I haven't ridden it much but it runs just fine. Theres no odometer so its hard to say how many miles are actually on it. But overall the bike hasnt been riddem much(I probably havent even put 1000 miles on it) and has been stored in the garage. The electic start doesnt work anymore, and someone intalled a button on the starter that you have to reach through the exhaust to push. Some of the paint is chipped on the gas tank. there is a small, very light oil leak that I cant seem to pinpoint, I think its near the oilpan.

But having said this, this bike will turn heads, and they will hear you coming! The exhaust is loud and will easily set off car alarms as you pass. I have to wear ear plugs when I ride. And its fast! I dont reccommend turning corners fast(280 rear tire), but when you hit the throttle this thing will haul some rear end.

e34m20
Jan 10, 2009
2005 C230K
replacement for my 1985 190E 2.3

Noidea
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

e34m20 posted:

2005 C230K

You know, Benz's are truly timeless in their form. This will look great in 15 years still.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
That body style C-class is pretty much my favorite "attainable" Mercedes.

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.
Crosspost from the Subaru thread, here's the first snaps of my new baby

e34m20
Jan 10, 2009

Noidea posted:

You know, Benz's are truly timeless in their form. This will look great in 15 years still.

I think so too.
Look how nice mine and my brother's 190Es still are.
They are both sold now, but the picture is from middle 2008.
My red one is a 1985 (23 years old)
The blue one is my brothers 1992 (16 years old) w/ 1998 CLK320 wheels.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

e34m20 posted:

2005 C230K

I hate to be a dick, but ouch. Definitely a lesser replacement. After much reading, I cannot find one redeeming thing about the power plant in that car.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 1, 2009

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

metalhead posted:

(bit of a fanboy here)

It's ok 90s Ford quality buddy. I would love to have a 5 speed Duratec 30 Swapped SVT with a decent LSD. I think that'd be an awesome car even if no one else would.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

thealphabetsez posted:

I hate to be a dick, but ouch. Definitely a lesser replacement. After much reading, I cannot find one redeeming thing about the power plant in that car.

What the hell man?

That's a 24 year old car compared to a 4 year old car, he probably just wanted something more reliable?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

BusinessWallet posted:

What the hell man?

That's a 24 year old car compared to a 4 year old car, he probably just wanted something more reliable?

I don't want to derail, however he went the wrong way -- the 2.3 kompressor is a terrible, terrible engine. It was an unfortunate component in an otherwise lovely exterior.

EDIT: I think it is a lovely car on the outside, I lusted after them for a period of time between 05-07 and did my reading. It was just part of the dark era for Mercedes. No harsh feelings meant nor am I trying to attack.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 2, 2009

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RealKyleH posted:

It's ok 90s Ford quality buddy. I would love to have a 5 speed Duratec 30 Swapped SVT with a decent LSD. I think that'd be an awesome car even if no one else would.

:v: I'm throwing a 3L/quaife in mine this summer.

edit: oh and some of these suby pics are making me want a bugeye really badly. I think I know what my next car will be...

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

metalhead posted:

(bit of a fanboy here)

The SVT Contour was decent-looking, but that's the exception that proves the rule.

e34m20
Jan 10, 2009

thealphabetsez posted:

Clearly the car is a humongous improvement over a 190E 2.3 -- in every way.

What do you not like about the engine? I like driving it. I much prefer it to the Benz V6s

1.8L 4cyl 16v supercharged intercooled
189hp 192ft.lbs.
2005 EPA rated 25/35 mpg
0-60 7.5s in that car

Click here for the full 1400x1019 image.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Click here for big.

I bought this yesterday

I go to the window now and then and look at it and I get all :3:, I wish it was warmer so I could crawl all over and under it :( It needs some work before it's road ready, like a new windshield, minor body work and a mysterious oil leak repaired. I will also need to replace the exhaust. I intend to use it as a daily driver eventually but I have a carpool to work and a roommate with a car, so it's no huge rush. This is my first car and, really, my first real exposure to working on cars so it oughta be an interesting ride.

The drive home was so much fun - this thing is like a big go-kart :haw:

edit:
the back end also makes me very :3:

Click here for big.

stevobob fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 2, 2009

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

metalhead posted:

(bit of a fanboy here)

Hawt. This thing was on my short list of vehicles (along with a manual SHO and a Lightning) before I ultimately went with the Marauder. Very sexy.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
Just got this a few days ago. 2000 Audi A4 2.8l automatic, 80k miles. Black exterior/Black leather interior. I did all the history reports and a 150 point certified inspection and didn't find anything major. There was a fender bender on the back left bumper in 2003 but it looks rebuilt well.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck
I've posted mine in various places in other threads but here goes all in one go:

My 1985 Chevy pickup, with the 406 small block and stuff, I have it because I love those body style trucks and I take it to Lowes and wherever else I need to haul stuff, plus we have a 25 year old house and 4 acres of land, goats, etc so I often need to haul stuff so that gives me a perfect excuse to own it:

And my 1997 Chevy dually, because I need something to tow the other stuff especially the next car and what's better than a turbo diesel? The blue truck really ain't good for towing being a 1/2 ton (and a high compression 406 that doesn't really open up till 3K rpm):

And my VW Rabbit (SCCA ITB class) because I want to flog something around a twisty track but not break my bank doing it:

And my 87 Grand National because they rule and I always wanted one:

And my 91 Galant VR4 because why not? (yeah I know the decals are in the wrong spot apparently):

And last but not least, my daily driver because I have to get to work, the dually would do it, but goddamn I'm not parking that thing and driving it in commuting traffic every day, I could use the GN but I'm not putting that many miles on it (and I'm constantly messing with it), the blue truck would also be an ok DD but the transmission is not happy about the upgraded rear end (3.73 eaton posi) and has given up 4th gear thanks to the fact the torque not actually kinda gets put to the ground, and the Galant is high mileage and needs a lot of maintenance:

My wife drives an HHR SS but I have no pictures of it, it's about the same color as the GTO so if you've seen one victory red HHR SS you've seen them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Grimster posted:

And my VW Rabbit (SCCA ITB class) because I want to flog something around a twisty track but not break my bank doing it:

What track is that? The spider is interesting. Thanks.