Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Player threatens to quit the game and/or beat the poo poo out of the DM unless he stops being a tool with CR30+ monsters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
This has to be one of the most hilariously random occurences in this strip yet.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!
Edit: Ah, edited out the embeded image, did not know that.

Edit2: Thank you for rehosting it.

Cytokinesis fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 1, 2009

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

You are not supposed to embed the image directly, you are supposed to upload it to waffleimages or another image host and embed it from there. :shobon:

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 1, 2009

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
V has kids? Huh. I didn't know that/remember that coming up before.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!

Rennej posted:

It was mentioned that he/she had a wife/husband before, so it isn't coming out of nowhere. I certainly did not expect that they had children though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rennej posted:

V is married. So, likely, there are children.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
That was an awesome sequence. Now what will V do to stop the dragon? Reuniting with the party should be his first step, since he can't defeat the dragon alone. And there we go, party member goes off on his own screwing with the DM and the DM makes sure he gets back to the party.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
V probably will reason that there is no time for that and instead will have to accept the imp's offer, since he can Teleport and V cannot

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Man, that "NOTHING!" panel is great. :) I especially appreciate the spittle which fell outside the Antimagic Shell and left acidic spots on the ground. Nice touch!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Maldraedior posted:

V probably will reason that there is no time for that and instead will have to accept the imp's offer, since he can Teleport and V cannot

And all because he said "disintegrate" four times to an imp that was annoying him...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

And all because he said "disintegrate" four times to an imp that was annoying him...
The right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons?
Well if V and her mate don't have children yet, how about "I need your help" (four words) to the dragon, right now, so he can help V and the order to save the world (and allow V to lose his/her future children in a few decades :smith:).

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

The right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons?
Well if V and her mate don't have children yet, how about "I need your help" (four words) to the dragon, right now, so he can help V and the order to save the world (and allow V to lose his/her future children in a few decades :smith:).

If the dragon spent this long planning things, don't you think she'd have checked if V had kids before making this threat?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The imp is gone, too.

Dun-dun-DUUUUN!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Wolfsheim posted:

The imp is gone, too.

Dun-dun-DUUUUN!

The imp tried to recruit V because he beat up his former boss. I'm pretty sure Imp Guy would be ecstatic at the opportunity to serve an ancient black dragon sorcerer.

SombreChapeau
Feb 3, 2009

Affi posted:

The imp tried to recruit V because he beat up his former boss. I'm pretty sure Imp Guy would be ecstatic at the opportunity to serve an ancient black dragon sorcerer.

Unlikely, what does the imp have to offer the dragon? revenge? looks like the dragon's getting that, and she has no more needs she can't get as an ancient black dragon right now that the imp can offer. It's fairly hard to tempt a giant lizard who has millenia left to live and see's you as more of a snack then a potential ally, minion prehaps, but also unlikely as the dragon is smart enough to know she cannot trust a denizen of the lower planes. just my thoughts.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SombreChapeau posted:

Unlikely, what does the imp have to offer the dragon?

The ability to walk through medium-sized doors? I would think any schemer like a dragon would appreciate the use of a tiny, flying, invisible, teleporting spy.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cabbit posted:

The ability to walk through medium-sized doors? I would think any schemer like a dragon would appreciate the use of a tiny, flying, invisible, teleporting spy.

That same dragon can probably shrink on its own, if necessary.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I'm pretty sure a lot of dragons have that sort of thing as a natural ability, but if they have enough magic levels to throw around antimagic shells I'm pretty sure they can handle a Polymorph Self.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Can someone link to the arch with the Starmetal cave? I need a refresh.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Ashcans posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of dragons have that sort of thing as a natural ability

Black Dragons don't. I'm sure he can cast Polymorph, but why send yourself out to spy on poo poo, leaving your horde (and son) unguarded when you can send an expendable minion?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Black Dragons don't. I'm sure he can cast Polymorph, but why send yourself out to spy on poo poo, leaving your horde (and son unguarded when you can send an expendable minion?

I don't think those are a concern any more! :v:

But yea, that is a good point. Why is it that dragons seem a little thin on minions, anyway?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
:eng101: if the dragon has a horde, it has more than enough minions!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Ashcans posted:

But yea, that is a good point. Why is it that dragons seem a little thin on minions, anyway?

Lack of interest? As I remember it they don't particularly care for the company of anyone except (sometimes) other dragons. Having an army of minions might make a human feel powerful and important, but dragons already know they're better than everyone else and don't need to be reminded.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

GigaPeon posted:

Can someone link to the arch with the Starmetal cave? I need a refresh.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0175.html

This is right after the bandit side-plot.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?
Okay, I take it all back. Burlew just throws in the delays to make strips like this all the more awesome. I can think of nothing worse than the spot V is in right now.

It did occur to me though: With Anti-magic Shell, did the dragon really need to wait for V to use up high level spells? or does it only block the low level ones? I don't have my core rule books handy (and they are the outdated 3.0's anyways).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well, they should still be within the vague boundaries of 3.5 rules, so this should probably apply, meaning it blocks pretty much everything. Except for certain spells like wall of force.

Which force cage is a derivative of.

So yeah, either the rule is different because it's a "shell" rather than a "field", or they just left the rules behind some time ago.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Shell was a typo; he updated the comic.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Cabbit posted:

...why send yourself out to spy on poo poo, leaving your hoard (and son) unguarded when you can send an expendable minion?

Yeah I don't think either of those are around anymore. And she explicitly stated she left in the first place for a visit to another dragon.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

Yeah I don't think either of those are around anymore.

I may have used those as examples for this very reason! Had she sent a messenger instead of herself, her kid would still be alive.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
If you like continuity the oracle is talking about dismissing Roy.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

YouTuber posted:

If you like continuity the oracle is talking about dismissing Roy.

If you like foreshadowing, the oracle mentioned an important client flying in back when he dismissed Roy. I think it was mentioned a page or two back.

Jems
Mar 23, 2005

Duckling, darling.
New strip is up, I can't put the comic here because I don't know how, but I figured I'd tell everyone!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jems posted:

New strip is up, I can't put the comic here because I don't know how, but I figured I'd tell everyone!

I'll help

That's some harsh poo poo.

Mister Burke
Jan 29, 2009

by Ozma
Jesus Christ. I'm almost glad I couldn't load the comicc earlier today/ That is loving depressing. V, here comes your deal with the devil.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
You know, I had a sizeable post here wondering whether maybe the baby dragon might not have started its own poo poo, like maybe it wasn't the party's fault, maybe V was just acting in complete self-defense, and then I looked through the archives. gently caress you, Elfy-boy. You're getting what you deserve.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
So, the dragon is at least a 14th level caster. Ouch. And it's nice to see that V's mate and offspring are as androgynous as V is. I also like that they're running with the "20 years of diapers" thing.

And seriously dragon, you could acquire two scrolls of Soul Bind, but you couldn't spring for a True Resurrection?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Note to self, don't piss off Black Dragons. Jesus Christ that's brutal.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

LightWarden posted:

So, the dragon is at least a 14th level caster. Ouch. And it's nice to see that V's mate and offspring are as androgynous as V is. I also like that they're running with the "20 years of diapers" thing.

And seriously dragon, you could acquire two scrolls of Soul Bind, but you couldn't spring for a True Resurrection?

Don't you need a piece of whatever's gonna be ressurected for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
No. If I am mistaken True Resurrection requires only some sort of intimate knowledge of the corpse in question. Time of birth, time of death, hell, I think the PHB even says just the name is fine enough.