Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
This is my latest.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2gyg1m3gztv/Mix.mp3

Yeah.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
finally done with this one
http://www.zshare.net/audio/548083378f5f9c51/
its called kittens
any thoughts?

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

trill rear end posted:

its called kittens
any thoughts?
You made some Danger for us. :dance:

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

trill rear end posted:

its called kittens
any thoughts?

Hey, this is real good! Very Bloody Beetroots/Congorock. I'd play this track out for sure.

Only thing about it is I think the breakdown at 2:51 comes too abruptly, same with the very end. Otherwise it's pretty sick.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
'lo thread. I'm just getting into a bit of home music stuff having been playing with bands for years and nothing else. I've just ordered a decent firewire interface, mic and cubase 5 with the intent of recording my stuff. I mostly want to work with live guitars and vocals with some electronic elements thrown in, some light drum programming and synths.

But asides from that, I want to dabble in doing some purely electronic stuff. So I'm working my way through this thread, and so far I've seen Cubase mentioned maybe twice if that, with the exception of it being listed in the OP. Is Cubase just not a good DAW for producing electronic stuff? I don't want to cripple my capabilities by using software that's not the best for job, and I'm willing to invest in a second DAW if needs be. However since I'm just learning all this I don't want to over-complicated things for myself initially either. I'm not completely clueless, I made quite a lot of stuff in FastTracker II many years ago, and have messed about with some earlier versions of Cubase, but Reason has overwhelmed me a little every time I've tried to learn that. I'm thinking Ableton Live might be a good option?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Chipyy posted:

'lo thread. I'm just getting into a bit of home music stuff having been playing with bands for years and nothing else. I've just ordered a decent firewire interface, mic and cubase 5 with the intent of recording my stuff. I mostly want to work with live guitars and vocals with some electronic elements thrown in, some light drum programming and synths.

But asides from that, I want to dabble in doing some purely electronic stuff. So I'm working my way through this thread, and so far I've seen Cubase mentioned maybe twice if that, with the exception of it being listed in the OP. Is Cubase just not a good DAW for producing electronic stuff? I don't want to cripple my capabilities by using software that's not the best for job, and I'm willing to invest in a second DAW if needs be. However since I'm just learning all this I don't want to over-complicated things for myself initially either. I'm not completely clueless, I made quite a lot of stuff in FastTracker II many years ago, and have messed about with some earlier versions of Cubase, but Reason has overwhelmed me a little every time I've tried to learn that. I'm thinking Ableton Live might be a good option?
Cubase is perfectly fine for making electronic music.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Thankyou. I'll stick with learning one piece of software and not overly terrifying myself then.

Jzf_K
Sep 1, 2002
JS

trill rear end posted:

its called kittens
any thoughts?

Nice Track! Can you elaborate on how you made the high pitched strings sound right near the beginning of the track?

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

Jzf_K posted:

Nice Track! Can you elaborate on how you made the high pitched strings sound right near the beginning of the track?

pro53 vst

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Chipyy posted:

I'm not completely clueless, I made quite a lot of stuff in FastTracker II many years ago
Cubase is nothing like it.

quote:

Reason has overwhelmed me a little every time I've tried to learn that.
Oh :gonk: In that case Cubase is going to be far, far worse :v: .

Do yourself a favor and get one of those "behind the manual" books, maybe there's a neat secondhand version for Cubase 4 floating around on Amazon. It'll do the job.

quote:

I'm thinking Ableton Live might be a good option?
Yes. No. Doesn't matter. You've ordered Cubase 5, you might as well stick with it, it's got some nice new stuff to work with. I just hope that for this time the first versions will be relatively bug-free. Wait, that didn't sound right, did it?

quote:

Thankyou. I'll stick with learning one piece of software and not overly terrifying myself then.
Persistence, that's the key. Live costs the same but does not come with the juicy plugins Cubase has gained again.

Sequencers will work for all kinds of music; it's whether they make your job easier or not. I've worked with Cubase (SX1, SX3) until 2006, then I switched to Live.

If this scared you, make sure you don't open the plastic wrapping.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 30, 2009

breaks
May 12, 2001

Cubase really isn't that scary. It does require some patience at first that you might not need with something like Ableton Live.

With Live the whole program is designed to make certain things very easy, so you can get up and running quickly without even thinking about a manual. On the other hand as a result of this, if you want to do anything semi-unusual it's often impossible, difficult, or just doesn't really make sense.

With Cubase you get more power and flexibility and it's relatively consistent with itself, but the tradeoff is that it's not quite as click-and-go up front. Even so, it's not the horrible nightmare that some people would have you believe everything except Live is.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Yoozer posted:

Do yourself a favor and get one of those "behind the manual" books, maybe there's a neat secondhand version for Cubase 4 floating around on Amazon. It'll do the job.

Eh, for what it's worth, I've been using Live and Sonar comfortably for years, and Reason's sequencer just never clicked for me.

But yes, I agree that a full featured DAW package is probably the most complex thing you will do on your computer, short of full-fledged programming or maybe 3D rendering. And it's not HARD, most of it is pretty straightforward really, it's just that there's a lot there, and be prepared to spend a week or two just learning your way around before you're intuitively making music.

I see there are some Cubase 4 tutorial DVDs on ebay selling for $20, that might also be a good investment in addition to a good book.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

h_double posted:

Eh, for what it's worth, I've been using Live and Sonar comfortably for years, and Reason's sequencer just never clicked for me.

Reason is pretty rear end backwards as far as DAWs goes. It's closer to FL, being that it's mostly MIDI based, although now that FL has audio multi-tracking, Reason is basically just a softsynth suite with MIDI sequencing built in. Not that you didn't know any of this, just stating it for posterity.

You'd get a lot more using a multi-track wave based type of DAW, imo. It's more practical in the long run.

The thing that always killed me was like in the old Logic for PC... setting up the 'environment' before even getting a chance to drop in any audio, or do any real recording.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Halo posted:

Reason is pretty rear end backwards as far as DAWs goes. It's closer to FL, being that it's mostly MIDI based, although now that FL has audio multi-tracking, Reason is basically just a softsynth suite with MIDI sequencing built in. Not that you didn't know any of this, just stating it for posterity.

You'd get a lot more using a multi-track wave based type of DAW, imo. It's more practical in the long run.

The thing that always killed me was like in the old Logic for PC... setting up the 'environment' before even getting a chance to drop in any audio, or do any real recording.

Which logic was that? 5 had didnt have that.

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

Actually, while on the topic of the Logic environment, is there a way to save default window settings to share between projects? For example I generally work on a widescreen monitor so I've got the piano roll popped out and the main stuff aligned below, and it's a bit of a hassle to adjust this every time I start a new project / unplug the monitor.

evilocity
Jul 6, 2004

a simple trap in a dark corner of the mind, and their nightmares catch up with them
Spent a little while throwing together clips on one Kontact, then did a single take toying with those clips.

This came out. The beginning is kinda retarded.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Stux posted:

Which logic was that? 5 had didnt have that.

4.5 I believe But I don't mean the GUI it was all the environmental parameters. This was a long time ago so maybe I was just too newb to understand what all the terms meant.

Halo fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 31, 2009

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

trill rear end posted:

its called kittens
any thoughts?

Very enjoyable! Where did you get the sync-bass from?

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

Sagacity posted:

Very enjoyable! Where did you get the sync-bass from?

i used sugar bytes uniquie, then i trippled the signal and multiband compressed each signal. one was for highs, one for mids, one for lows. so on so forth.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Yoozer posted:

Yes. No. Doesn't matter. You've ordered Cubase 5, you might as well stick with it, it's got some nice new stuff to work with. I just hope that for this time the first versions will be relatively bug-free. Wait, that didn't sound right, did it?

Persistence, that's the key. Live costs the same but does not come with the juicy plugins Cubase has gained again.

Sequencers will work for all kinds of music; it's whether they make your job easier or not. I've worked with Cubase (SX1, SX3) until 2006, then I switched to Live.

If this scared you, make sure you don't open the plastic wrapping.

Cheers. Yeah, I know Cubase is nothing like FastTracker. I have used earlier versions of Cubase (years ago, can't remember which ones) and didn't get on too badly with it. Reason just doesn't seem to click with me, stuff like the whole thing were you flipped the rack round and could see all the cables. Struck me as a weird UI decision, cables are great when you're using your hands; With a mouse there are more efficient ways of doing it.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

evilocity posted:

Spent a little while throwing together clips on one Kontact, then did a single take toying with those clips.

This came out. The beginning is kinda retarded.
The hat isn't on the beat enough. I'm going OCD crazy. :(

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Mannex posted:

Glad im not the only one with this "problem"

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001
I just picked up a Korg Microkontrol and have been toying around with renoise. I'm trying to figure out how to map controls on the Korg to different VST params. I had seen this program farmkontrol which seemed interesting, but to use the mapping it provides, it seems you need to know the various midi control codes that a vst connects it's params to. Is there a way to determine this?

My current idea for a workflow was to sketch out bits on NitroTrackerDS, import them to Renoise to add arpeggiation/slides/volume control and then sequence these loops in another program.

any thoughts?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Gareth Emery currently uses Cubase. I believe he is currently in the process of switching to Logic, but I would imagine it's pretty hard to switch DAWs after you've used one for so many years.

evilocity
Jul 6, 2004

a simple trap in a dark corner of the mind, and their nightmares catch up with them

Mannex posted:

Haha, I loaded up the als yesterday to fiddle with it and the first thing I did was replace that poo poo. New version coming as soon as I get more smoke(s).

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sort of a stupid question but I remember seeing a video of some guy working on a DAW a little while back, he was doing some eq'ing and he did it by moving the mouse and "carving" the eq, like if you wanted a mid boost you would just sweep the mouse in an arc and the lows and highs would be cut off where the mouse moved.

What program was it? I have no intention of changing from ableton any time soon but I remember seeing that and thinking "oh man that is so loving sweet".

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Three Red Lights posted:

Sort of a stupid question but I remember seeing a video of some guy working on a DAW a little while back, he was doing some eq'ing and he did it by moving the mouse and "carving" the eq, like if you wanted a mid boost you would just sweep the mouse in an arc and the lows and highs would be cut off where the mouse moved.

What program was it? I have no intention of changing from ableton any time soon but I remember seeing that and thinking "oh man that is so loving sweet".

Its a bit hard to visualise what your refering to here, do you mean drawing the envelopes, because , uh, Abletons pretty drat good at that. You can also gently caress around with recording automations live (You might even set up your x-y controller if you REALLY want to get into stunt eq.)

edit: Also lol at the FL vs Live argument a while back, but you all get owned by Venetian Snares doing all his poo poo on loving Octamed tracker.The Moral of the story? gently caress tech wars, just use whatevers comfortable, even if it does mean making your spaz-core breaks on a 1980s tracker :psypop:

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 2, 2009

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Three Red Lights posted:

There's a (now defunct) company called Elemental Audio that had an EQ that sounds like what you've described. I think you can still get it in places, but there's two of them.. Firium and Equim. Both are really phenominal EQs, and I use them religiously.

If you're looking for a free GEQ that's interesting try the Nyquist EQ.
Here: http://magnus.smartelectronix.com

Halo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 2, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Firium is indeed awesome

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Three Red Lights posted:

You can do this really easily in Ableton by just loading up an EQ8 in the effects bin of a channel and dragging one of the EQ band dots around with the mouse.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

duck monster posted:

Its a bit hard to visualise what your refering to here, do you mean drawing the envelopes, because , uh, Abletons pretty drat good at that. You can also gently caress around with recording automations live (You might even set up your x-y controller if you REALLY want to get into stunt eq.)

:psypop:

Like the guy above says Abletons EQ window is a bunch of little dots and you move the dots around and then adjust the parameter that says how much q they have. The thing I saw you just draw lines straight in the the EQ window as if it was Paint. Not functionally any different, but cool as hell.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Halo posted:

There's a (now defunct) company called Elemental Audio that had an EQ that sounds like what you've described.

They still exist.

http://www.rndigital.org/plug-ins.html

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I've never tried any of those linear phase EQs. Do they really sound much better? I understand they take a lot more processing power.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

There's a lot of EQs that allow you to do that. You were probably thinking of Firium, now known as FIREQ (linked above). CurveEQ is another alternative.

edit: Just remembered I once used a plugin named Freeq Boy that did this also.

Dicky B fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 2, 2009

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 8, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Three Red Lights posted:

Reaper.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

colonp posted:

Are there any free and nice VST formant filters?
Aeiou: http://azertopia.free.fr/depreciated/Aeiou.zip
It's simple but it does the job.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Yoozer posted:

They still exist.

http://www.rndigital.org/plug-ins.html

Great news, thanks much

Missin the older interfaces though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Three Red Lights posted:

Do you mean Har-Bal?

• Locked thread