Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
I'm looking for a 1980s song that sounds almost JUST LIKE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXL9AkXzlt8
(Swing out sister-Breakout) in the intro. The differences I can remember is rather than getting more upbeat (like in the linked song) the one I'm looking for stays at the same tempo, and has a hipster dude voice.

I don't know how better to describe it, but the linked intro sounds JUST LIKE the song I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Bean_ posted:

I'm looking for a 1980s song that sounds almost JUST LIKE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXL9AkXzlt8
(Swing out sister-Breakout) in the intro. The differences I can remember is rather than getting more upbeat (like in the linked song) the one I'm looking for stays at the same tempo, and has a hipster dude voice.

I don't know how better to describe it, but the linked intro sounds JUST LIKE the song I'm looking for.

Thanks!

The drums at the beginning made me think I got Rick Rolled. Is that it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
No. Its not Rick Astley. The song I'm thinking of has a kind of melancholy feel to it. The real similar factor the song I'm looking for has almost the exact same bass line as the intro I linked.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
There are like a hundred eighties songs with that bass line.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Bean_ posted:

No. Its not Rick Astley. The song I'm thinking of has a kind of melancholy feel to it. The real similar factor the song I'm looking for has almost the exact same bass line as the intro I linked.

Pet Shop Boys - What Have I Done to Deserve This?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
What I first thought of was West End Girls. So, yeah, pretty much anything by the Pet Shop Boys would be on that list.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

Eyeball posted:

What I first thought of was West End Girls. So, yeah, pretty much anything by the Pet Shop Boys would be on that list.

Ding Ding, West End Girls it is.

Eyeball posted:

There are like a hundred eighties songs with that bass line.

Yeah, I know, but that's the only thing I could relate it to.

Scat
Aug 21, 2004
I owe Corbin $20!

killer.beer.coaster posted:

Every now and then, we all forget a songs name, tune, lyrics, and artist, but remember the plot of the song.

Older ska song about a guy who loves his neighbours daughter, but his father prohibits him seeing her. He is upset, asks why, and after a while the father admits that the daughter is his. The son, upset by this, tells his mother. The mother laughs, and says to go ahead and see the girl, for the sons father is not his real father, and there is no blood bond.

You will be my hero.

Madness - Shame & Scandal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlqbt1PQ1ek

I'm pretty sure this is it. I love this song. Also, it's not too old -- 2005.

EDIT: This version is 2005. Apparently the original was in like, 1943.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shame_&_Scandal

Geistling
Jan 14, 2007
Let's rock!
I found this track on a myspace that was linked here a little while back. It's shoegaze-ish electronica, a little like m83, and starts with some rustling and a synthesized organ sound, then halfway through it gets some percussion and changes from a quiet track into a loud one. I have the song, but I don't know the artist or the name of the song and I really want to know.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I hear this song every time that I go out to a club, and for some reason it has been stuck in my head the last few days. It's a female singer and the chorus is something like "how many licks [poo poo that I can't make out] love you just the way you are" which is then repeated back again. She also says something about "touch my body it's free" somewhere in the song a few times. It's club music, so it has a strong, fast beat.

I generally don't like listening to this type of music outside of a club, and if I can't get it out of my head soon I'm going to lose my loving mind.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Eyeball posted:

Oops, that's the one I meant! I posted my reply without actually listening to the Pet Shop Boys youtube first. Glad that was it.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Hakarne posted:

I hear this song every time that I go out to a club, and for some reason it has been stuck in my head the last few days. It's a female singer and the chorus is something like "how many licks [poo poo that I can't make out] love you just the way you are" which is then repeated back again. She also says something about "touch my body it's free" somewhere in the song a few times. It's club music, so it has a strong, fast beat.

I generally don't like listening to this type of music outside of a club, and if I can't get it out of my head soon I'm going to lose my loving mind.

Timbaland - The Way I Are

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Geistling posted:

I found this track on a myspace that was linked here a little while back. It's shoegaze-ish electronica, a little like m83, and starts with some rustling and a synthesized organ sound, then halfway through it gets some percussion and changes from a quiet track into a loud one. I have the song, but I don't know the artist or the name of the song and I really want to know.
That's pretty hard to go by, but have you ever used Musicbrainz?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Pweller posted:

Timbaland - The Way I Are

Thank you! I think my brain just blocked out the bad grammar so I couldn't find it.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Geistling posted:

It could be Son Lux but I'm capped so I can't find the song I was thinking about.

Edit: Could be "Raise".

Steve Holt! fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 3, 2009

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Geistling posted:

A stretch here, as there isn't much to go on, but that sounds like it could be something by The Album Leaf or maybe The American Dollar.

Geistling
Jan 14, 2007
Let's rock!

Emmitt Nervend posted:

A stretch here, as there isn't much to go on, but that sounds like it could be something by The Album Leaf or maybe The American Dollar.

These groups actually do have a really similar feel to the track I have. I've been searching through their last.fms to find similar groups, but I'm not sure that'll lead to anything because the artist seemed relatively unknown. Sorry there isn't too much else to go on. I was hoping somebody might just know what I was describing because I found it somewhere in this forum.

I did forget to add, it's also instrumental and I'm pretty sure was created by just one dude.

Edit: I just made a video of it. This should help some: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqo6zgEi6h8

Geistling fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 3, 2009

One Two Twee!
Jan 6, 2009
This is killing me and this seems like the best place to ask.

I was listening to KGRL on my mobile about three weeks ago and a song came on. I really loved it, wrote down some of the lyrics to google them later but lost the paper. Here's what I can remember:

- Sang by a girl (obviously)
- It's sort of toned-down indie pop (heavy on the pop) with a certain amount of country-influenced sound, reminiscent of early Rilo Kiley
- The song is basically a love song, where the singer talks about how her man is going to make her/them rich,
- I vaguely remember that part of the chorus goes either along the lines of "He's gonna make things right" or something similar
- The lyrics are materialistic and center mostly about being/becoming rich, but they're not obnoxious and kind of endearing (at least for me)
- I seem to remember a mention about skyscraper(s) at some point

I'd really really owe anyone who can find out what this song is, it's driving me insane.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Geistling posted:

These groups actually do have a really similar feel to the track I have. I've been searching through their last.fms to find similar groups, but I'm not sure that'll lead to anything because the artist seemed relatively unknown. Sorry there isn't too much else to go on. I was hoping somebody might just know what I was describing because I found it somewhere in this forum.

I did forget to add, it's also instrumental and I'm pretty sure was created by just one dude.

Edit: I just made a video of it. This should help some: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqo6zgEi6h8

It sounds a lot like 65 Days of Static to me, although I'm not sure what song. Maybe try and look up some of their stuff.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
I wish I could be more specific:

It's a recent song, like within the last few years, by an all-girl punk band from California (?) I think it is. The song is titled something like "I Thought I Could Change" and the refrain is "I thought I could change but I was wrong"

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
A song I'm trying to remember had what appeared to be a fan-made video on youtube. The song was about a man who was laid off work who ended up committing suicide after killing his wife and child. The song had a very minimalistic feel: there was only a very basic beat repetition in the background, and the vocals were more spoken, rather than sung. The song was something along the lines of "Poor Johnny" or Johnny 12 Gauge".

Geistling
Jan 14, 2007
Let's rock!

Rivfader posted:

It sounds a lot like 65 Days of Static to me, although I'm not sure what song. Maybe try and look up some of their stuff.

It definitely wasn't, I know the band. It was some no-name myspace artist.

Sad Mammal posted:

A song I'm trying to remember had what appeared to be a fan-made video on youtube. The song was about a man who was laid off work who ended up committing suicide after killing his wife and child. The song had a very minimalistic feel: there was only a very basic beat repetition in the background, and the vocals were more spoken, rather than sung. The song was something along the lines of "Poor Johnny" or Johnny 12 Gauge".

Frankie Teardrop by Suicide? http://youtube.com/watch?v=3YprQnzRfjg

Geistling fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 4, 2009

tsbicca
Aug 27, 2004
Edit: Found it! Its Disco Partizani by Shantel

I was reading some of my notes from my travels and I had written down a dance/electronic song that some friends of mine taught me. All I know is the hook which goes "Disco Disco Albesani" Apparently it was a pretty popular song in Turkey last summer. I may be butchering the third word but a Kazakhstani friend of mine informed me that it meant Freedom Fighter in Russian.

tsbicca fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 4, 2009

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

bastardmonk posted:

whats this song?

http://www.sign69.com/medialounge/space1583.html

Searching the lyrics gave me this:
http://tinymixtapes.com/Castanets,7228

"Glory B" by Castanets

That song is not on youtube or Last FM, but the artist is, and yes, that is him.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SDjzLH8FYR4
http://www.last.fm/music/Castanets

Now that I've given something, I feel comfortable asking:

I was playing Team Fortress 2 on a server allowing micspam, and there was some dude spamming this song. I'm about 90 percent sure it was a female vocalist, and the pronunciation made me pretty sure that she was Japanese. However, there were no real words involved as far as I could tell. It was basically a Japanese girl Scatman, except maybe a little more emphatic, overall faster (but without the bursts of John Moschitta-like speed) and with a little more range IIRC.

If it helps, it sounded like something that 4chan or YTMND would be all over.

The dude wasn't answering as to what the hell it was and now it's driving me nuts.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 4, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Searching the lyrics gave me this:
http://tinymixtapes.com/Castanets,7228

"Glory B" by Castanets

That song is not on youtube or Last FM, but the artist is, and yes, that is him.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SDjzLH8FYR4
http://www.last.fm/music/Castanets

Now that I've given something, I feel comfortable asking:

I was playing Team Fortress 2 on a server allowing micspam, and there was some dude spamming this song. I'm about 90 percent sure it was a female vocalist, and the pronunciation made me pretty sure that she was Japanese. However, there were no real words involved as far as I could tell. It was basically a Japanese girl Scatman, except maybe a little more emphatic, overall faster (but without the bursts of John Moschitta-like speed) and with a little more range IIRC.

If it helps, it sounded like something that 4chan or YTMND would be all over.

The dude wasn't answering as to what the hell it was and now it's driving me nuts.

Miko Miko Nurse?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

etard knievel posted:

Miko Miko Nurse?

Not even close. Like I said, it was gibberish (well, assuming it wasn't some language I've never heard before...but the singer sounded Japanese, and it wasn't Japanese). That's stupid bullshit, but not gibberish.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 4, 2009

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma
"marisa stole the precious thing"?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rAbhJk4YJns

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dance Move Burglar posted:

"marisa stole the precious thing"?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rAbhJk4YJns

Nope. Again, those are real words.

edit: And of course, googling "Japanese scat" is actively unhelpful. :haw:

ONITABAS
Jan 31, 2009

Straight.
This just hit me like a punch in the face today and I have no leads.

This was a fairly popular song a few years ago, and (at least from what I remember) it got aggressive radio play. I recorded the main guitar riff from humming it, but that also can be wrong. I think I remember the name of the band being some sort of clever little thing, but also, I could be wrong. I don't think they had another hit in the United States again.

here is the recording
http://www.2shared.com/file/4802234/b6391266/dundun.html

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Does anyone here know the artist and title of the song from 1:60 and out in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aikILakD3o&NR=1

Been bugging me forever, first time I heard it was in on of the Crusty: Demons of Dirt videos...

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
By "1:60" do you mean two minutes?

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Valfar posted:

Does anyone here know the artist and title of the song from 1:60 and out in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aikILakD3o&NR=1

Been bugging me forever, first time I heard it was in on of the Crusty: Demons of Dirt videos...

Back in the day I discovered Crusty Demons of Dirt while searching for a band called Soak. There are a few songs in that movie by Soak, although not the same one I was searching for. I don't remember anything about their music, so I can't say for sure if it's them, but I know they had like 3 songs on there, so there's a good chance.

kinkood
Dec 11, 2006

Considering people spend their entire life living, isn't it a tad greedy of them to claim it to be short?
I heard the song on the local college radio station a couple days ago. I can only remember some lyrics from the song, and the lyrics I remember aren't in any specific order:

"And it's any moment now, yeah any moment now, any moment now"
"What are you doing downtown, boy, don't you know your place?"
"First a drink and then your hips can shake"

Edit: Heard it on the radio again today. There's trumpets in the song as well.
"While you order using coded slang, we play hurry up and wait"

kinkood fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 5, 2009

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

There used to be band around the late '90s or early 2000s, and it was group of white guys rapping to music that had more rock to it than hip-hop. They probably weren't well know, and their talent level was probably on par with Limp Bizkit. One of the members had the sole job of doing The Robot in their music videos and at concerts. Anyone remember this band?

Dance Move Burglar
Oct 2, 2005

by Ozma

Spider Crusoe posted:

There used to be band around the late '90s or early 2000s, and it was group of white guys rapping to music that had more rock to it than hip-hop. They probably weren't well know, and their talent level was probably on par with Limp Bizkit. One of the members had the sole job of doing The Robot in their music videos and at concerts. Anyone remember this band?
The only band that I can think of with a dedicated "dancer" is The Prodigy but that seems wrong

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Spider Crusoe posted:

This sounds like it could be 2 Skinnee J's (they have a dude named Sumpy who just dances around and drinks beer and wears a gold hat and huge sunglasses), but if you are suggesting that they suck anywhere NEAR as much as Limp Bizkit, you are horribly mistaken.

However, there are approximately 8.4 million rap/rock bands from around that time, so it could be anyone. Do you have anything more to go on?

edit: the song samples on that site suck, go here for a better song. Also, one of the dudes in 2SJ is black, so it seeming less likely to be them.

Emmitt Nervend fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 7, 2009

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

It's not the Prodigy nor 2 Skinnee J's. The dancer dressed up in a way to hide his face. The others dressed kind of like wiggers. I only remember a little of one song, and they were talking about avoiding the cops because they had drugs. The Box (US channel) used to play their videos sometimes.

edit: one video was about a house/block party in a suburban setting.

Spider Crusoe fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 7, 2009

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Spider Crusoe posted:

It's not the Prodigy nor 2 Skinnee J's. The dancer dressed up in a way to hide his face. The others dressed kind of like wiggers. I only remember a little of one song, and they were talking about avoiding the cops because they had drugs. The Box (US channel) used to play their videos sometimes.

edit: one video was about a house/block party in a suburban setting.

Kottonmouth Kings? They do suck as much as Bizkit, so they have that going for them.

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

Emmitt Nervend posted:

Kottonmouth Kings? They do suck as much as Bizkit, so they have that going for them.
Yep, that's it. I used to think this was cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Spider Crusoe posted:

Yep, that's it. I used to think this was cool?

Good lord they are terrible. I saw them open for 2SJ a long time ago, and I vowed never to listen to their music again. You just made me break that vow.