Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

jamal posted:

you can technically do it with the motor in the car, but not easily. It doesn't take that long to just pull the motor out, and if you're doing other seals and maintenance at the same time it makes it much easier.

Thats what I would think. Front and rear seal, timing belt, head gaskets seem like they'd all be much easier with the motor sitting on a stand. On some cars it is such a pain in the rear end to pull the motor though, it wouldn't be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mental_abortion
Jan 29, 2009
Hell I have a hard enough time as it is just changing the plugs on this drat boxer engine. I'm still toying around with the idea of just getting rid of the thing and looking for a new(er) car. I love this car but it's not really loving me back at the moment.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Disciple of Pain posted:

Thats what I would think. Front and rear seal, timing belt, head gaskets seem like they'd all be much easier with the motor sitting on a stand.

Timing belt is easy as pie with the engine in the car. In fact the boxer is probably the only engine I've even felt it worth my time to do the timing belt on. All the other cars I've owned had the timing belt in an insane location.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BannedForLulz posted:

I vacation in Florida every year and I can attest to stuff like this. Just this December I had half a parking lot gawking at my muffler (its the HKS Hi-Power so it is a pretty drat big muffler.) Some lady walked into another car while looking at it and walking. Hilarious.

What really gets me though is, theres absolutely no Subarus down there. At first I thought it was because they were AWD, but theres TONS of raised AWD asphalt queen trucks no matter where you look so that cant be it. I saw one Subaru the past 2-3 years down there. I gave him the "Subaru buddy wave" like we all normally do here in Chicago (yeah, we're cool like that) and the guy gave me a weird look and took off, probably thought I was gay.

Oh well, atleast my car finally turned a lot of heads. Ha.

Not a whole lot of subarus (WRX/STi's) outside of the bigger Florida cities. Not a whole lot of anything mentionable outside of aforementioned cities except for a whole lot of too-big pickup trucks and buicks and cadillacs. I drive a new Civic Si and I'm always on the look-out for others in my town (naturally,) and there are exactly two including mine. Travel an hour north to Orlando, and there are countless Si's and 4 or 5 Mugen Si's. Plenty of WRX STi's as well (but still not TOO many, since it's considerably a niche vehicle.)

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.
Finally got my crop on, here's an outside look at my new baby.

And I'm still not able to play with it pending a fix to running only 9 psi.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I took a few more aftermath shots of my car now that I've sort of evaluated what I managed to gently caress up.

this has me concerned at the moment, I don't think that's normal camber is it? I'm looking for a good body shop in Portland to drop it by. The tire shop said it looked like maybe a control arm or knuckle? I don't really know what i'm looking at. The car is driving fine though, no wobble or serious pull.

and here's how I managed to F up every single panel on the front end of my car in one go, can you spot the damage?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've been thinking of getting another Subaru for my next car. My current one is shite (Passat,) and I have fond memories of my past two Subarus, even though they weren't anything special ('92 Legacy L wagon and '97 Legacy 2.5L GT) I would still be driving that second one if I didn't get rear-ended by some jerk in a truck. It was totaled. :smith:

I made a big mistake and went with a crappy Passat. It has been nothing but trouble, but it's almost paid off, and when I get my tax return, it will be completely paid off and I can sell it or trade it in and get...

A WRX! Maybe...Some sort of Impreza, that's for sure. I did a cursory search and there aren't a lot of used WRXs for sale around here, probably because Subarus are VERY popular around here and people like to hang on to the nicer ones till they die for good.

But, at any rate, what are some things I should be on the lookout for? I am looking for 2002-2005 models, because they are in my price range. What things are prone to failure I shold ask the dealer/seller about? Any "essential" upgrades I might want to think about?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you can pad a few more bucks, get a 2006, with the 2.5L turbo Torks!
Oh and also don't forget the 9-2x, which is a WRX trying to look like a SAAB. They tend to be really cheap. They also had the STi steering rack and some extra options.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008
Here's a bit that I posted in another place when someone needed help with Subaru buying information:

quote:

The 2002-2003 WRX (Bugeye):
Despite all the cries of "glass" transmission, they're actually very adequate if you don't do clutch dumps or otherwise abuse them. Drive it as you would any other daily driver and it'll hold up fine. This 5 speed transmission can hold up to around 275 wheel hp. The 4EAT automatic transmission is slow and sluggish though it will hold to around 300awhp. Rebuild kits are widely available and the valvebody mods really wake the transmission up and give it a much more sporty feel. This generation has the 2.0 liter engine with the round blob headlights. Parts are easy to find and most power parts like exhaust and downpipe are interchangeable with any other 2002-2007 WRX or STi and even the exhaust from the catalytic converter back is interchangeable with the N/A Impreza. The automatic version actually has the more "intelligent" AWD system because it uses a viscus center differential versus open diffs all around for the 5 speed.

The 2004-2005 WRX (Blobeye):
A revised body design with nearly identical drivetrain. The engine is still 2 liter with the same turbocharger. The 2004 has the older interior with the pop-out cupholder and lack of climate control, though basic A/C and heater controls are there. WRX's in this generation for the US market only came with standard headlights, not projectors and not HID's though proper (not ricer BLIND THE LIVING gently caress OUT OF YOU WITH MY BLUE LIGHT kits) retrofit kits are easy to come by. 2005 interior has the climate control with real cupholders in the center console making it feel less of a shitbox with a nice engine and tranny. The 5 speed transmission was "strengthened" though it still remains the weak point of the drivetrain. 4EAT automatic transmission remains the same. I think there was a change to the final drive also, but I'm not sure on that.

The 2006-2007 WRX (Hawkeye):
Revised body style yet again, with projector lights but no HID's and the controversial three-part front grill. Engine displacement gets a bump to 2.5 liters but the turbocharger remains the same, making for a very quick spooling fun package. Horsepower get a small bump to 224hp and the boost threshold and torque come up a lot quicker now because of the added displacement. Interior remains nearly identical to the 2005 model year with only very small changes like trunk passthrough and a cargo net behind the front seats.

The 2008 WRX (GR chassis):
Extremely controversial change to both hatchback and sedan bodystyle. Power output remains the same at 224hp but with a revised 5 speed transmission and a new 5EAT automatic transmission. It seems like they finally fixed the glassbox problems, but there hasn't been enough time to really tell if it's fixed for good. Interior was dramatically changed. Suddenly the car was transformed from a fast shitbox to a fast economy car. Make no mistake it's still a cheap car, but it no longer feels like the plastic was made from recycled Barbie dolls and Coke bottles. Trust me, it looks very nice now. Only drive one for a day and I already loved it. Revised engine tunes with AVCS (Subaru's variable valve timing) now brings the same 224 hp but with a dramatic powerband shift to the left. I like this generation, especially the hatchback, but so far it has proven very subjective. This generation significantly changes the drivetrain layout. Many power mods from the 2002-2007 WRX\STi will not fit the 2008+ chassis.

The 2009+ Impreza GT's and the 2008 WRX (GR Chassis)
Basically the 2008 WRX rebadged as the GT. I don't know too much about this generation.

The 2009+ WRX (GR Chassis)
A healthy bump in power to 264hp. Other than that I don't know much about this generation. Subaru renamed the 2008 WRX into the GT to make room for a more powerful WRX to counter the new Lancer Ralliart. I don't know too much about this generation.

If you want to get into the bigger brother, the STi can be had for pretty cheap now too. Recession fears have made the price plummet and you can get a new 2008 STi for 27k out the door.

2004 STi (Blobeye):
As with all USDM STi's, this one has a 2.5 liter engine with AVCS. The 6 speed is nearly indestructible, there are drag teams in Puerto Rico running 10 second STi's with the stock 6 speed. The first thing that tends to break on the driveline is the rear halfshafts, though you will only break them if you really really try. The stock setup is good for around 350hp, but at around 350lb-ft of torque the stock Exidy cluch will start slipping. An upgraded clutch later and the driveline is good for at least 500whp and 500lb-ft. The 2004 had the most aggressive tune of any year STi also. The interior sucked, having shared it with the 2004 Impreza and WRX. No climate control and no cupholder along with a cheap plastic interior made you feel like you were driving a giant Polly Pocket playset. The signature wing was standard. This year STi had a mechanically open center diff with DCCD lockup and a viscus limited SureTrac diff in the front and a clutch type rear LSD made by Nissan (R180). Wheel bolt pattern is 5x100 making wheel choices limited. Wheel bearings tend to go quickly if you autocross or track the car a lot. All STi's have beeft Brembo brakes all around.

2005 STi (Blobeye):
Same drivetrain layout but with 5x114.3 hubs instead of 5x100 which dramatically strengthened the wheel bearings. Major changes include slighly wider fenders on the rear wheel arches and much improved interior with climate control. Mechanically almost identical, except now includes clutch type LSD's on both the front and read. DCCD center diff remains mechanically open.

2006-2007 STi (Hawkeye):
Revised bodystyle though interior remains mostly the same. Controversial front bumper though a rear diffuser under the rear bumper and a smaller roof spoiler were added improving handling under high speed. Hood scoop made smaller and easiar to see over. The 6 speed now has longer gear ratios, allowing you to trap the quarter mile in 4th rather than having to shift into 5th and you can now reach 60mph in second gear. This netted a minor improvement on paper statistics even though power output remained unchanged. The driveline now has LSD's on all three differentials and the center differential now has a default power split of 41:59 front:rear versus the 35:65 of the 2004-2005's. 2007 STi's became subject to emissions regulations and as a result had a more advanced ECU and some emissions control equipment under the hood. The revised tune in the 2007 to clean up the engine made the engine behave strangely under certain conditions and as a result there were significantly more 2007's with blown otherwise stock engines. 2007 STi's are also very sensitive to power mods so plan mods with your tuner carefully. They're not as forgiving of people slapping on BOV's, exhausts, and intakes as previous generations were.

2008 STi (GR chassi):
I drove one and i'm one of the few that actually like it. The big controversy is that they now only come in hatchback, though thats okay with me because i have a sekit love of hatchbacks. I think they look sexy, just look at that rear end . Entirely new interior and exterior, obviously along with a healthy bump in MSRP. Interior was massively improved so now it actually feels like you're driving a $36000 car instead of a $10000 car with a 300hp engine stuck in it. Engine remains at 2.5 liters though a revised turbo and intercooler setup along with a revised tune again bump the power band way to the left. I was only allowed to take it around the block though. One thing to note the new computer allows for three driving profiles, Intelligent, Sport and Sport Sharp. I used to be a big proponent of using my right foot to control my driving profile but after driving with this I can see the appeal. As with the 2007 STi's, revised emissions regulations have made many 2008 STi's suffer an early engine death though the vast majority of them are covered under warranty. If purchasing a 2008 STi make sure to ask if the car had the engine service performaed on it if it falls within the STOP SALE order that Subaru put out.

If you're looking for used cars try http://www.nasioc.com http://www.iwsti.com and http://www.clubwrx.net these are all Subaru specific forums. I got very close to buying my STi from a nice guy on Nasioc, but would up getting it on eBay instead. If you're planning on buying it here are a few good points to check:

Look under the driver's dash under the hood release and look straight up behind the dash. You should see a few green connectors. If they're taped up with black tape in a neat bundle chances are the ECU was never flashed, as you need to finagle with those wires to enable flashing (2002-2005 WRX's need init connectors, 2006+ and STi's need to connect the test harness). Ask about oil consumption, Subaru engines have a tendency to eat oil. While it's perfectly normal for it to consume UP TO one quart between changes, its good to know the habits of the engine before you buy it. Check under the intercooler (anyone who owns a turbo Subaru knows how to get it off and on quickly) and look at the turbo downpipe and uppipe. There should be heatshields on both of them. If they're not there ask why, as often when removing the heatshields to do mod work the bolts holding them on just snap off. Remove the oil cap while the engine is idling and stick a notecard over it. If it flutters and makes a lot of buzzing noises while being blown away from the tube the ring lands on the engine are bad, either talk down the price about $3000 or run away quickly. Check the dashboard to make sure the check engine light still works. If the check engine light is on ask why, as the check engine light can come on if the cats were removed. That in itself is not a problem, but if the ECU was reflashed properly to conpensate for the lack of cats there should be NO check engine light as those codes can be turned off. Driving a decatted 2.5 liter WRX or STi can cause over-boosting and can quickly blow the motor. Look in the engine bay on the left right in front of the passenger side shock tower. Look at the boost control solenoid and make sure it hasn't been modified. Especially look for a manual or electronic boost controller. Subaru ECU's control boost directly and the addition of a electronic boost controller without a proper tune to take advantage of them can...you guessed it, blow the motor.

I'm a huge Subaru and Nissan nut so ask me anything. If I don't know I can find out for you.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
yeah, when WRX shopping, if at all possible get an 06-07. They got a bunch of nice upgrades over the 02-05 like the extra displacement, avcs, better brakes, more aluminum suspension parts, etc.

For 08-09, the GT badge applies to 09 automatics, which I think still have a TD04. For 09 the WRX is the 5-speed with a VF52. The VF52 is basically a VF48 (sti turbo) with a compressor cover to suit the intercooler and plastic intake manifold. We're seeing 300whp with stage 2 mods on the 09, where with an 02-08 you're lucky to get 230. Suspension and swaybars were also stiffened up slightly, it got summer tires instead of RE-92s, and the front seats have red WRX stitching like the old school GCs. Additionally, the 08-09 wrx does not have a rear LSD due to the traction control system or something, and they're back to a steel hood and suspension links. Even so they're a good 200 lb lighter than the GD.

MMD3, find one of those alignment places that does free alignment checks. pep-boys, firestone, etc might do it. If there's more than 1.5-2 degrees of negative camber in the rear something may be bent (it looks like the strut)

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 3, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

atomicfire posted:

The automatic version actually has the more "intelligent" AWD system because it uses a viscus center differential versus open diffs all around for the 5 speed.
This isn't true. The 5 speed uses a viscous locking center differential. It also has a rear limited-slip differential.
I do know that the automatic can vary the front/rear torque split, however. I'm not really bright so I'm not going to pretend I understand how all that works.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yep. The 5-speed is a purely mechanical awd system, so the front and rear get an equal split of torque until there's a speed difference and the viscous coupling adds resistance. Some of the 5-speeds have a rear transfer reduction ratio of 45:55 to give a bit of rear bias.

The older 4eats had a set of transfer clutches that would lock up dependent of throttle position, gear selection, wheel speed, and a few other variables. So cruising around it would be 90% front drive, but could transfer some power rearward. Under extreme conditions, such as the front wheels on ice and the rear on pavement, it can't transfer all the car's power, but it generally works really well. The fact that it locks up the clutches before wheel slip is a great feature, and the awd on my old 93 legacy was way better than what's on my mom's brand new rav-4.

Newer automatics have a system called VTD. Instead of the clutch pack it uses a planetary gear system that creates a rear bias and allows more transfer of power to the front or rear. I can't really explain it much better than that because I've had a hard time finding any real technical details about it.

The STi 6-speed and some older JDM 5-speeds have DCCD. This starts out with a rear-biased center diff and adds electro-magnetic clutch packs to limit slip. In auto mode, the system will use throttle, steering, wheel speed, a yaw sensor, g-sensors, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting to determine lockup. Generally more throttle and less steering angle means more lockup. Using the manual mode you can move the diff from full open to full lock. How much lock full lock actually means is something I wonder about all the center diffs, but the dccd will create enough to cause hopping and binding in low speed turns on pavement similar to a 4x4. It's recommended in the manual to not use full lock on pavement. For 06 a helical lsd was somehow added to the clutches but I'm not exactly sure how all that works together.

jamal fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 3, 2009

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can anyone who looked at the photos of my wreck explain fundamentally if it could have been caused in part due to my inexperience in handling AWD cars in slick conditions. I'm trying to figure out what learnings I can take away from this and I can't help but think if I'd been driving my RWD car that I was more familiar with it would have reacted completely differently (well I guess that's a no-duh). I think if anything I would have maybe spun out but I wouldn't have lost traction in all 4 wheels and done a 4 tire skid like I did.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think we told you to buy new tires.
edit: Also in my experience you have to use the gas sometimes. It's instinct to hit the brakes but they don't do a lot of good on ice. When it snowed here in December I found an open parking lot to try and see all the different things that I could do.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 3, 2009

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

subaru awd is fantastic when you've got your foot down. While turning and stopping it doesn't do quite as much. So, if you want to take advantage of it, you need to use the throttle and not the brake. When you do they will go whichever way you point them. It's wonderful.

One of the things that all cars will do to some extent is snap oversteer when you lift suddenly or brake in a corner. This is because the weight transfers forward off the rear tires very suddenly. Generally the last thing you want to do is jam on the brakes. When you do this you'll just keep going in whatever direction you were starting to slide, or start spinning, regardless of the car or drivetrain layout.

In your case, however, it looks like you just went into the corner too fast for the conditions/your tires, and went right off the road.

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 3, 2009

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jamal posted:

subaru awd is fantastic when you've got your foot down. While turning and stopping it doesn't do quite as much. So, if you want to take advantage of it, you need to use the throttle and not the brake. When you do they will go whichever way you point them. It's wonderful.

One of the things that all cars will do to some extent is snap oversteer when you lift suddenly or brake in a corner. This is because the weight transfers forward off the rear tires very suddenly. Generally the last thing you want to do is jam on the brakes. When you do this you'll just keep going in whatever direction you were starting to slide, or start spinning, regardless of the car or drivetrain layout.

In your case, however, it looks like you just went into the corner too fast for the conditions/your tires, and went right off the road.

I'm sure this is pretty common-sense stuff for you guys but it helps me understand it quite a bit. I'm sure the tires and my speed were definite factors but I certainly slammed on the breaks quite a ways back in anticipation of the corner. I think I figured the ABS would do everything for me and most likely panicked and over steered. I distinctly remember seeing the other car in the ditch and thinking "oshit, brake brake brake" before sliding a good 10 yards.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

jamal posted:

yeah, when WRX shopping, if at all possible get an 06-07. They got a bunch of nice upgrades over the 02-05 like the extra displacement, avcs, better brakes, more aluminum suspension parts, etc.

For 08-09, the GT badge applies to 09 automatics, which I think still have a TD04. For 09 the WRX is the 5-speed with a VF52. The VF52 is basically a VF38 (sti turbo) with a compressor cover to suit the intercooler and plastic intake manifold. We're seeing 300whp with stage 2 mods on the 09, where with an 02-08 you're lucky to get 230. Suspension and swaybars were also stiffened up slightly, it got summer tires instead of RE-92s, and the front seats have red WRX stitching like the old school GCs. Additionally, the 08-09 wrx does not have a rear LSD due to the traction control system or something, and they're back to a steel hood and suspension links. Even so they're a good 200 lb lighter than the GD.

MMD3, find one of those alignment places that does free alignment checks. pep-boys, firestone, etc might do it. If there's more than 1.5-2 degrees of negative camber in the rear something may be bent (it looks like the strut)

Fixed... The 48 is what is on my LGT. The 38 is what came on the STi, IIRC.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MMD3 posted:

Can anyone who looked at the photos of my wreck explain fundamentally if it could have been caused in part due to my inexperience in handling AWD cars in slick conditions.

Tires tires tires. Not every all-season tire is created equal. Hell some aren't even that good in the dry. I put my car in the ditch with crappy tires just like yours. In hindsight I should have known better because they had taken on the consistency of hockey pucks in the cold weather.

As for AWD, a little gas can't hurt, and its the only way you're going to take advantage of all four wheels getting torque. My driving style in the snow now involves a little more throttle since I've started driving my Subaru this year. Practice giving it some beans around a tight corner to oversteer the car in the right direction. Its fun and useful.

jamal posted:

The older 4eats had a set of transfer clutches that would lock up dependent of throttle position, gear selection, wheel speed, and a few other variables. So cruising around it would be 90% front drive, but could transfer some power rearward.

I may be wrong on this, but as far as I can tell from the Subaru documents the 4EAT will start or switch to a 20-80 rear bias if you punch it, settle in to a 90 - 10 front bias when you're cruising, and lock it around 50 - 50 if you're spinning the fronts and back. What it does the rest of the time I'm not sure but it does take a little getting used to your car going from RWD to FWD to AWD in slippery conditions. It also apparently locks 50-50 in the Reverse, 2nd and 1st gear selector.

Its also tons of fun to do donuts and feel the 4EAT having a poo poo fit trying to compensate :v:

8ender fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 3, 2009

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Chunderbuss posted:

Beautiful car. Also, please send me your wheels.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MMD3 posted:

I'm sure this is pretty common-sense stuff for you guys but it helps me understand it quite a bit. I'm sure the tires and my speed were definite factors but I certainly slammed on the breaks quite a ways back in anticipation of the corner. I think I figured the ABS would do everything for me and most likely panicked and over steered. I distinctly remember seeing the other car in the ditch and thinking "oshit, brake brake brake" before sliding a good 10 yards.
When all 4 wheels have no traction, you're boned.
You MIGHT have been able to do a bit of a scandinavian flick (mad tyte drifto), but if you're lacking some real skill (espcially given the tires), it likely would have just resulted in your car wrapping around that tree.

tires are everything in the snow.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

ssjonizuka posted:

The 04-06 STi's use the VF39 turbo, the 07 STi's use the VF43 turbo. They're basically the same turbocharger, except the 43 has a redeseigned wastegate.

The new 08's use some silly VF48, which was based on the LGT.

MMD3 posted:

Can anyone who looked at the photos of my wreck explain fundamentally if it could have been caused in part due to my inexperience in handling AWD cars in slick conditions. I'm trying to figure out what learnings I can take away from this and I can't help but think if I'd been driving my RWD car that I was more familiar with it would have reacted completely differently (well I guess that's a no-duh). I think if anything I would have maybe spun out but I wouldn't have lost traction in all 4 wheels and done a 4 tire skid like I did.

If you lost it in a AWD car, don't let off the gas or god fobid hit the brakes. Nail the throttle and steer where you want to go.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

atomicfire posted:

The 04-06 STi's use the VF39 turbo, the 07 STi's use the VF43 turbo. They're basically the same turbocharger, except the 43 has a redeseigned wastegate.

The new 08's use some silly VF48, which was based on the LGT.

If you lost it in a AWD car, don't let off the gas or god fobid hit the brakes. Nail the throttle and steer where you want to go.

judging by this photo, yeah... I didn't accelerate/turn out of it, I just slammed the brakes.

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.

cmorrow001 posted:

Beautiful car. Also, please send me your wheels.

Cheers, I'll chuck up some stupid huge pictures onto a friend's server if anyone wants, or maybe some interior photos if the yard will actually fix my boost problem, they've had it almost two weeks now, and I'm getting sick of the G1 Nissan Cube they gave me as a replacement, it's about as far from an STi as you can get! Apparently there's a long list of things they have to trial and error to work out why my wastegate is bleeding everything above 9psi.

Strange thing about the wheels, the STi wagons didn't get the same wheels as the sedan due to not needing to clear the Brembo brakes, so they got the (thinner) wheels off the Legacy B4 instead, shouldn't be hard to source!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MMD3 posted:

judging by this photo, yeah... I didn't accelerate/turn out of it, I just slammed the brakes.

For the better. In the accelerate after straightening out scenario, if you didn't nail it and get grip you woulda slammed into the back of that Mazday thing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

For the better. In the accelerate after straightening out scenario, if you didn't nail it and get grip you woulda slammed into the back of that Mazday thing.
Exactly
Given your tires and the stuff around you, two feet in really was the best choice. Any other, you might have svaed it or you might be shopping for a new car.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Alright, a follow up question:
What are the main differences between an Impreza WRX, RS, STi, and i models?

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

DrBouvenstein posted:

Alright, a follow up question:
What are the main differences between an Impreza WRX, RS, STi, and i models?

RS is the older 01 and earlier models..no turbo i believe.
wrx is turbo'd with more hp, a mini sti basically
sti is a 'street legal' rally car in easy terms. 300hp~ awd curb stomper.

edit: I just read your first post. What is your price range. This has a lot to do with it. STi will have more expensive insurance for sure. You should be able to get an 08 sti at a high volume dealer for $27K with zero % financing if you have good credit, 700 or higher supposedly.

Ignore the 08 WRX completly. its pretty much poo poo.
the 09 wrx is a 260hp beast for the price..im curious what the next sti will be powered at.

06-07 wrx's are pretty nice, and 90% of the parts are interchangeable between 04-07 version vehicles, including STi's, except 05+ sti rims wont fit.

most common first upgrades for any of the cars are a turbo back 3 inch exhaust and engine reflash to 'stage 2' through either open source tuning, or an accessport. You can get a ton of lightly used parts off nasioc for cheap.

For under $1000 I'm running a 'stage 2' wrx, which is a 3 inch downpipe, a 3 inch exhaust. I also have an intercooler that is twice the size of the factory version. Before the end of the year<a lot sooner I hope>, I plan on getting a new turbo and a professional tune done at a shop. After that, I'll focus on the suspension to get a tighter ride. That'll probably be the most I do.I don't plan on racing or autocrossing it, so meh. Close to STi performance for a lot cheaper. As long as you dont beat on the transmission doing 5K cluthdumps, itll be fine.

Lando fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 4, 2009

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

MMD3 posted:

oh...that kind of corner there really isn't hope for much except grab the steering wheel and pray. Nothing you could have done would have pulled you out of that one. Glad to see you didn't get hurt though.

Lando posted:

RS is the older 01 and earlier models..no turbo i believe.
wrx is turbo'd with more hp, a mini sti basically
sti is a 'street legal' rally car in easy terms. 300hp~ awd curb stomper.

edit: I just read your first post. What is your price range. This has a lot to do with it. STi will have more expensive insurance for sure. You should be able to get an 08 sti at a high volume dealer for $27K with zero % financing if you have good credit, 700 or higher supposedly.

Ignore the 08 WRX completly. its pretty much poo poo.
the 09 wrx is a 260hp beast for the price..im curious what the next sti will be powered at.

06-07 wrx's are pretty nice, and 90% of the parts are interchangeable between 04-07 version vehicles, including STi's, except 05+ sti rims wont fit.

most common first upgrades for any of the cars are a turbo back 3 inch exhaust and engine reflash to 'stage 2' through either open source tuning, or an accessport. You can get a ton of lightly used parts off nasioc for cheap.

For under $1000 I'm running a 'stage 2' wrx, which is a 3 inch downpipe, a 3 inch exhaust. I also have an intercooler that is twice the size of the factory version. Before the end of the year<a lot sooner I hope>, I plan on getting a new turbo and a professional tune done at a shop. After that, I'll focus on the suspension to get a tighter ride. That'll probably be the most I do.I don't plan on racing or autocrossing it, so meh. Close to STi performance for a lot cheaper. As long as you dont beat on the transmission doing 5K cluthdumps, itll be fine.

Yep, you got it right on. The most basic way of breaking it down:

RS = No turbo
WRX = RS with small turbo
STi = WRX with bigger small turbo and suspension upgrades.

The 09+ WRX's are seeing 300 wheel hp with just an exhaust and tune, which previously only the STi could do. Yeah I agree the 08 WRX is just basically a waste of time\money unless you're specifically looking for the sedan model, which was relabeled into the Impreza GT on the 09's and on.

atomicfire fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 4, 2009

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

atomicfire posted:

The 09+ WRX's are seeing 300 wheel hp with just an exhaust and tune, which previously only the STi could do. Yeah I agree the 08 WRX is just basically a waste of time\money unless you're specifically looking for the sedan model, which was relabeled into the Impreza GT on the 09's and on.

What? You can get an '09 WRX Sedan. You only get stuck with the GT if you want an automatic.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

What? You can get an '09 WRX Sedan. You only get stuck with the GT if you want an automatic.

Oops...my bad, I wasn't aware you could get the 09 WRX's as sedans.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
For the first time I saw another 9-2x on the road, silver just like mine. He got in the lane next to me honked and waved and I waved back. It was funny, when he started to pass me I thought "what a slick looking car" before realizing it was the same thing!

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

MMD3 posted:

Can anyone who looked at the photos of my wreck explain fundamentally if it could have been caused in part due to my inexperience in handling AWD cars in slick conditions.
I had similar problems when I started rallycrossing - though with less ditch potential. The thing to keep in mind is that in low-friction conditions AWD will understeer like a FWD car. If you go too hot into a right turn and turn the wheel right, the car will go to the outside. If you stomp the gas while this is happening, you'll just go further outside. Contrast that with an RWD car (or an STI with the DCCD set to sent 80% of the torque to the rear :clint:), where you can stomp the gas to break the rear end loose and change your trajectory.

Or, you could be totally irresponsible and throw it into a pendulum turn. At that point, you're giving up the known (a ditch) for the unknown (possibly a clean exit, possibly sideswiping a pedestrian). It's not the safest option, but if that ditch had been a 100 foot drop, you'll want all the options you can get.

Just remember that AWD doesn't make you immune to weather.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Or, you could be totally irresponsible and throw it into a pendulum turn. At that point, you're giving up the known (a ditch) for the unknown (possibly a clean exit, possibly sideswiping a pedestrian). It's not the safest option, but if that ditch had been a 100 foot drop, you'll want all the options you can get.

A better driver than me should chime in, but I don't think a pendulum turn would work when the cause of sliding is glare ice and bad tires. There'd be nothing for the front tires to grip into even if they got weight transfer.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

ssjonizuka posted:

no. The LGT turbo is the VF40 or VF46. The 08 sti has a VF48. I think other years of 08s had VF39s and VF43s.

The VF48 is not some silly turbo based on the LGT. The sti still uses the older style top mount intercooler and compressor outlet, and the turbo is an updated version of the 43.

Contrast that with an RWD car (or an STI with the DCCD set to sent 80% of the torque to the rear :clint:), where you can stomp the gas to break the rear end loose and change your trajectory.

That's not actually technically correct. When you set dccd to "rear," it's actually set to full open. So, for an 04-05, for example, this means a 35:65 rear torque bias. And that is the bias, period, and it doesn't change. However, since you have a rearward bias, the rear tires will spin first, allowing you to do some nice power-oversteering action.

With dccd not open, the torque bias will actually change dependant on slip and %lockup. So at full lock you could have almost a 100:0 or 0:100 front:rear bias depending on traction.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 4, 2009

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Contrast that with an RWD car (or an STI with the DCCD set to sent 80% of the torque to the rear :clint:), where you can stomp the gas to break the rear end loose and change your trajectory.

My 2009 WRX with snow tires will break the rear out really easily if I turn off traction control. I don't think it is excessively rear-biased either. It still understeers like a bitch if you don't counteract it, but just a little bit of gas will bring the rear around.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

jamal posted:

no. The LGT turbo is the VF40 or VF46. The 08 sti has a VF48. I think other years of 08s had VF39s and VF43s.

The VF48 is not some silly turbo based on the LGT. The sti still uses the older style top mount intercooler and compressor outlet, and the turbo is an updated version of the 43.

That's not actually technically correct. When you set dccd to "rear," it's actually set to full open. So, for an 04-05, for example, this means a 35:65 rear torque bias. And that is the bias, period, and it doesn't change. However, since you have a rearward bias, the rear tires will spin first, allowing you to do some nice power-oversteering action.

With dccd not open, the torque bias will actually change dependant on slip and %lockup. So at full lock you could have almost a 100:0 or 0:100 front:rear bias depending on traction.

With the DCCD locked, regardless of the year STi the car will maintain a 50/50 torque split at the most. The design of the center diff makes it impossible to have a 100/0 or 0/100 torque split unless you weld it to make it 100/0 or 0/100 like Team Orange. With the DCCD open, as you said, the torque split is 35/65 f/r for the 04-05's. The 06+ has a more even torque split, I forget what it was.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

An open differential has a 50:50 torque split all the time (barring some reduction ratio). A locked differential has a torque split that is dependent on traction.

Think about it this way. You set the dccd to full lock, and the front tires are on a surface with 0 traction, and the rear tires are on pavement.

With the locked differential, all the torque goes to the rear wheels. The torque bias is dependant on the traction, since the motor cannot produce torque without an equal amount of resistance from the tires. So, all the resistance is done by the rear tires, none is done by the front, and so the torque split is 0:100.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 4, 2009

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

jamal posted:

Think about it this way. You set the dccd to full lock, and the front tires are on a surface with 0 traction, and the rear tires are on pavement.

With the locked differential, all the torque goes to the rear wheels. The torque bias is dependant on the traction, since the motor cannot produce torque without an equal amount of resistance from the tires. So, all the resistance is done by the rear tires, none is done by the front, and so the torque split is 0:100.

Nope, still only 50% of the torque goes to the rear wheels even if there were no reaction to the front wheels. You're thinking about power, not torque. If the front wheels don't have traction, they are not utilizing any of the power, which you would be correct, 100% of the power is going to the rear wheels.

The torque split by the center differential isn't determined by traction, its determined by the clutch pack in the center diff. With the clutch pack off, the torque split is determined by the planetary gearset; with the clutch on, it is determined by the duty cycle of the clutch pack controlled either by the dial or the dccd computer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

With the diff locked, the torque will go 50:50, no matter what the surface front or rear on. It's exactly the same for any diff.

What the 50:50 will mean is that your front wont bite, but your rear will and hence you will get going. Even if the front had utterly no traction at all, 50% will still go there. That's what diff locking is all about. Atomicfire has it correct

quote:

The 06+ has a more even torque split, I forget what it was.

41:59

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

notice how in my example the diff is at full lock?

And yes, with a completely locked diff the torque is sent to the wheels with traction.

you guys seem not to understand how differentials work.