Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The intro post is now even more incredible. I might add more of a starting guide and combat advice but I don't think most people need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

physeter posted:

Is there anything we can tweak to raise the max number of recruits over 18? I can't enough JA2 npc drama.

Check out dis poo poo

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=205630&page=1#Post205630

Not sure if its up to date anymore but the general gist of it is you can have up to 32 mercs and 6 vehicles.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

webcomics thread posted:

The intro post is now even more incredible. I might add more of a starting guide and combat advice but I don't think most people need them.

Outstanding, OP. Thank you.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
here's a neat trick I found out. This only works on the scar. Find a 5.56 variant and get yourself a 5.56c-mag adaptor and attach it to your kit. Buy a 6.8 conversion kit, convert your scar and presto! A 100 round 6.8mm scar-sv! Enjoy lots of damage output with the option for full auto.

I don't really know any cold stat differences so this could probably still be outperformed by something available at the same time as the scar.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Hey, that's kinda neat. Did you try that with the SCAR-SV 7.62x51 barrel, too?

Honestly, I just use a chest rig which lets me carry 8 or 10 or some large number of mags. Beta-C drums are kinda neat, but I've never found an in-game reason to really need them. Is there a serious advantage other than "don't need to reload very often?"

I put a trigger group in so all my SCAR-H/SVs have 3-shot capability which is more than enough for my purposes. If full auto is required, Steroid does have a 21E.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Psion posted:

Honestly, I just use a chest rig which lets me carry 8 or 10 or some large number of mags. Beta-C drums are kinda neat, but I've never found an in-game reason to really need them. Is there a serious advantage other than "don't need to reload very often?"

No. That's all there is to them. They don't really have much downside but I still don't see them as being much use except for anyone who gets in close quarters a lot, psycho or stealth characters.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
OK, I have a fresh install of JA2 and I'm installing the version of 1.13 linked in the OP. Any other recommendations? I'm looking at HAM and DBB, but the latter sounds pretty buggy.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

HoldYourFire posted:

OK, I have a fresh install of JA2 and I'm installing the version of 1.13 linked in the OP. Any other recommendations? I'm looking at HAM and DBB, but the latter sounds pretty buggy.

I really wouldn't recommend anything but 1.13 if you haven't played it yet, as 1.13 is pretty much all you will need for tons of good fun for a while. If you have played 1.13 for a long time and want to play around, you can go ahead and tinker around with the XMLs yourself or even try HAM, DBB or 1.13 Wildfire.
Otherwise, vanilla JA2 + 1.13 makes for a well-balanced and mostly bug-free gameplay experience, and you shouldn't need anything more than this for your first time playing the game.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Burning Mustache posted:

I really wouldn't recommend anything but 1.13 if you haven't played it yet, as 1.13 is pretty much all you will need for tons of good fun for a while. If you have played 1.13 for a long time and want to play around, you can go ahead and tinker around with the XMLs yourself or even try HAM, DBB or 1.13 Wildfire.
Otherwise, vanilla JA2 + 1.13 makes for a well-balanced and mostly bug-free gameplay experience, and you shouldn't need anything more than this for your first time playing the game.

I've played a little bit, but not much. I think I'll stick with 1.13 for now - it seems I overestimated how much DBB changed.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
How the devil do I apply camo paint in 1.13?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

UncleSmoothie posted:

How the devil do I apply camo paint in 1.13?

I would imagine you click on the camo so that it sticks to your cursor, and see if the picture of your merc lights up (the paperdoll, not the face). If so, drop it directly onto the paperdoll.

iGoon
Dec 15, 2008

by iGoon
This game is awesome.

I can't remember how long it has been since I've played a game where you're given such complete control of your troops, even to the point where they will mindlessly kill each other if you tell them to.

It's a shame you can't tell them to commit suicide, but I guess you can't have everything.

To be honest, though, I didn't figure out that I could even make them kill each other until I discovered that friendly fire was enabled. Talk about a curiously pointless feature when it is exactly what you don't want your mercs to do.

Aside from that, I just can't stop playing this game, except when my guys die too many times (unintentionally).

edit: It's rare that I can find a game that's a decade or so old that is still playable.

iGoon fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 3, 2009

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

iGoon posted:

It's a shame you can't tell them to commit suicide, but I guess you can't have everything.

Hey Ira, here's a couple blocks of c4. Go stick them on those oil drums over there, and wait for something to happen.

iGoon posted:

I can't remember how long it has been since I've played a game where you're given such complete control of your troops, even to the point where they will mindlessly kill each other if you tell them to.

try putting Buzz and Lynx together, see how much control you have then!

All of this, of course, making the game that much more fun.

The friendly fire thing is something to make you try to plan. Mostly, don't try to use autofire past friendly mercs. It can even have some good uses: if you have a few enemies clumped together, take an average merc, and empty the clip at the middle one.

iGoon
Dec 15, 2008

by iGoon

ducttape posted:

try putting Buzz and Lynx together, see how much control you have then!

All of this, of course, making the game that much more fun.

I'll try this when I've got my other mercs leveled up to the point where they won't immediately die in combat.

quote:

The friendly fire thing is something to make you try to plan. Mostly, don't try to use autofire past friendly mercs. It can even have some good uses: if you have a few enemies clumped together, take an average merc, and empty the clip at the middle one.

Yeah, I suppose it's kinda like the military materiel ordering system that lets you pick from about 20 cities that aren't even in the game.

edit: This game kinda reminds me of the original Postal game...but in some ways it's even more hosed up than Postal. Mustard gas???

iGoon fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 3, 2009

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
It's the depth of the npc interactions combined with the awesomely campy Sirtech voice actors that keeps it replayable for me. Exs. - toss a woman into a group with a bunch of sexist assholes and her morale will start to drop, put the cockney punk Numb into a group with the uptight Brits and watch him get more and more annoyed. For real fireworks put rascist Bubba in with a bunch of black guys. Every black guy, even down to an obscure NPC 99% of players would never have reason to recruit, is coded to hate Bubba, who is himself a moderately obscure MERC fatass that 95% of players would never hire. Some mercs just complain or quit, and others invent excuses to leave the country. And while some mercs hate each other immediately, others take time to discover their distaste. Almost ten years later, I don't think I've played another game that delivers that level of complexity.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 116 days!

physeter posted:

It's the depth of the npc interactions combined with the awesomely campy Sirtech voice actors that keeps it replayable for me. Exs. - toss a woman into a group with a bunch of sexist assholes and her morale will start to drop, put the cockney punk Numb into a group with the uptight Brits and watch him get more and more annoyed. For real fireworks put rascist Bubba in with a bunch of black guys. Every black guy, even down to an obscure NPC 99% of players would never have reason to recruit, is coded to hate Bubba, who is himself a moderately obscure MERC fatass that 95% of players would never hire. Some mercs just complain or quit, and others invent excuses to leave the country. And while some mercs hate each other immediately, others take time to discover their distaste. Almost ten years later, I don't think I've played another game that delivers that level of complexity.

Wow. I almost never get any merc interaction. I guess part of that is because this time I've got 3 IMPS, but I've almost always ended up going with my trusty standbys like Buzz, Raven, and Shadow. I got Magic this time because he has good stats, but lockpicking must be the most worthless skill in the game.

It's all moot anyway, because both the quicksave and other save I made just after taking the fourth sector of Meduna are both apparently corrupted and crash the game on loading. Probably best I put this game away for a while anyway.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

Wow. I almost never get any merc interaction. I guess part of that is because this time I've got 3 IMPS, but I've almost always ended up going with my trusty standbys like Buzz, Raven, and Shadow. I got Magic this time because he has good stats, but lockpicking must be the most worthless skill in the game.

It's all moot anyway, because both the quicksave and other save I made just after taking the fourth sector of Meduna are both apparently corrupted and crash the game on loading. Probably best I put this game away for a while anyway.

Yeah well the game is a lot more fun if you, you know, don't cheat.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

Yup, Certain Mercs have likes/dislikes.

The main advantage of putting Mercs on the same team that like each other is it causes morale to improve quicker.

Plus all the dialog where they high five each other for making a lucky headshot or for taking out a squad of bad guys.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

I disagree, I'm having more fun giving myself a squad of badasses at the start to ease myself in to playing on a higher difficulty. If I wanted to cheese through the game to give myself a fake, cheated victory, then I would just do what that speedrun guy did, but this kind of cheating really improves the game for me. Likewise I could play legitimately on a lower difficulty but that's boring after a while.

Actually I'm thinking of starting on Elite with just one badass. Is it even worth it to train militia in that mode, or do they just die straight away?

Edit: VVV That's what I meant by "cheese through the game to give myself a fake, cheated victory"

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 4, 2009

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

HoldYourFire posted:

I disagree, I'm having more fun giving myself a squad of badasses at the start to ease myself in to playing on a higher difficulty. If I wanted to cheese through the game to give myself a fake, cheated victory, then I would just do what that speedrun guy did, but this kind of cheating really improves the game for me. Likewise I could play legitimately on a lower difficulty but that's boring after a while.

Actually I'm thinking of starting on Elite with just one badass. Is it even worth it to train militia in that mode, or do they just die straight away?

Elite? Are you referring to the last difficulty level? If so, you're better off just rushing the big bad on day 1.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HoldYourFire posted:

Edit: VVV That's what I meant by "cheese through the game to give myself a fake, cheated victory"

Umm I don't really see how going straight for meduna is cheating but whatever.

On the hardest difficulty you aren't going to be able to take and hold most cities unless you enable the training of the highest tier militia in the ini and have more than one mercenary. Even then it's up in the air. Deidriana gets infinite troop reinforcements on that difficulty.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 116 days!

Dyna Soar posted:

I didn't cheat, I don't even know what the cheats are.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

I didn't cheat, I don't even know what the cheats are.

Having multiple IMPs is considered cheating to most people. It's a relatively new feature implemented in 1.13 and it makes the game much easier and quite a bit more boring than just having one. The whole idea behind IMP is that the mercenary is YOU, in the original version they had you take a full blown personality test and everything in order to determine your stats. Having multiple just doesn't make sense.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Having multiple IMPs is considered cheating to most people.

Then "most people" (cite a source on that one) are dumb.

It's a feature added by 1.13. Is it one JA2 vanilla added? No. But it's not "cheating."

Cheating is when I use a keystroke command to instantly deal 100 damage to every enemy on the map :q: go to hell giant ant-alien-things

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Umm I don't really see how going straight for meduna is cheating but whatever.

I guess it's not, if you don't use the exploit whereby you can enter and leave provinces from different sides in order to cross them instantly, and don't just grab the LAWs to blow open the side of the palace, then no, it's not cheating.

I was just talking about speedrunning it.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

HoldYourFire posted:

I would imagine you click on the camo so that it sticks to your cursor, and see if the picture of your merc lights up (the paperdoll, not the face). If so, drop it directly onto the paperdoll.

This is not the answer. Anybody else have an idea as to how camo paint works?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
That's how it worked for me.

Maybe you have the wrong camo for the enviroment? I don't know how it works so it might not let you use the wrong one. There are three types normally, urban, woodland and desert.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 4, 2009

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
I know if you have full camo already, you'll get a 'Heh?' but I doubt that's the problem

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

All my mercenaries are walking backwards. Even loading a save game doesn't stop this. I know it sounds bizarre, but i swear it's happening.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

The Bramble posted:

All my mercenaries are walking backwards. Even loading a save game doesn't stop this. I know it sounds bizarre, but i swear it's happening.

They'll never get you by surprise again that way. Use it to your advantage. Or try a reinstall.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

The Bramble posted:

Almost sounds like your ALT key is stuck or something, since holding down alt while making a merc go somewhere will make them walk backwards. I'm assuming you'd have problems posting here if that was the case though.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

AG3 posted:

Almost sounds like your ALT key is stuck or something, since holding down alt while making a merc go somewhere will make them walk backwards. I'm assuming you'd have problems posting here if that was the case though.

This is what it will be. It happens if you alt tab.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Heh, yes, i did alt-tab and hitting alt again fixed it. Probably should have figured it out sooner, but I have to say, after playing this game for years, it was kind of surreal having everyone suddenly walking backwards for no perceptible reason.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
Is it just me or does the flamethrower not work for poo poo? Running latest 1.13, old possum's dbb mod. Also anyone else getting random crashes when around Deidranna? Like if you don't kill her in the first shot the game just sort of hangs forever.

I'm thinking of doing an all-women team. Vicki seems so stereotypically jamacian though.

lePooch
Apr 3, 2008

Reawakened from my slumber
I bought the Jagged Alliance 2 Gold Edition(both JA2 and the Unfinished Business expansion pack) about a year and a half ago from the Strategy First website. After reading all your info I want to install 1.13, but I'm terrified that since its a download that it will stop working if it detects foreign code.

After reading the Digital River store FAQ there is no mention of any problems with this. However, I just thought I would check with you guys before inadvertently destroying my game forever. So, does anyone have any thoughts?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lePooch posted:

I bought the Jagged Alliance 2 Gold Edition(both JA2 and the Unfinished Business expansion pack) about a year and a half ago from the Strategy First website. After reading all your info I want to install 1.13, but I'm terrified that since its a download that it will stop working if it detects foreign code.

After reading the Digital River store FAQ there is no mention of any problems with this. However, I just thought I would check with you guys before inadvertently destroying my game forever. So, does anyone have any thoughts?

Don't they allow you to redownload the game? That's a pretty basic service that's available from almost all internet distribution shops.

And if they don't, why don't you just back up the entire JA2 folder first?

lePooch
Apr 3, 2008

Reawakened from my slumber

Don't they allow you to redownload the game? That's a pretty basic service that's available from almost all internet distribution shops.

And if they don't, why don't you just back up the entire JA2 folder first?

I was reading the Digital River FAQ(https://store.digitalriver.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayHelpPage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=srategyf), and it seems I need the "Extended Download Service" to re-download the game in case the file gets hosed. Serves me right for not buying it on Steam, I guess... :(

I just backed up the game though, and I'm going to try patching it.

Big_D
Feb 10, 2009
Sigh... look what you guys made me do, now I have to go and find my CDs again.

Personally, I like to start with a decent number of mercs in order to have some flanking options. The first part is always the worst--I'm interested to see how these mods improve your starting weapons.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Anyone have any idea what the Old Aimpoint projector does? It only fits on a few old HK rifles but it prevents you from putting any other Laser, Reflex, or Scope onto the rifle. Does it do all three or is just big as hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Are you using EDB? If so, you should be able to see exactly what it does. It has been a little while since I've played, but from what I remember it is an exceptionally long-range laser and has almost as good of an AP reduction as a reflex sight. As you said, however, it stops you from using scopes. In my mind, its main use would be on a gun you mainly plan on doing bursts or semi-auto on, since you get the benefit of the best laser in the game, and you wouldn't be able to use a scope anyway.