Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Evilkiksass posted:

The same fix which has been bricking drives? Or the update after that which is STILL bricking drives?

I bought one of the 1.5TB's from that link. I put the serial number into Seagate's site it said that it was not affected by the bug and that I did not need to do anything. I copied 500GB to it this morning and so far so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

iamthexander posted:

So I've been thinking about building a file server to use for a proper backup solution and media storage.

I've got a couple old computers around and I was hoping I could just buy some new hard drives, throw linux on there, and mdadm my way to raid 5 goodness.

However, the computer I was planning on using doesn't have any SATA ports (yes its that old). I was going to throw a SATA PCI card in there, but now looking at the Wikipedia Page of Device Bandwidths SATA2 has a max speed of 300Mb/s. Would getting a PCI SATA card be a bottleneck?

Second off, I can't find a whole lot of information regarding linux compatibility with various hardware raid cards. I find some odds and ends stuff on the manufacturer's websites but nothing really promising, this is why I've been leaning towards a software raid for now.

Yes, PCI bottlenecks SATA itself. I'm not sure if the spindle speed comes into play.
That said, I've got four PATA disks in RAID5 on two chains on a PCI Card for maximum bandwidth chokage, and it's not exactly unbearably slow. The raid5 array I've got on my Dell PERC card (SATA, PCIE) isn't even twice as quick, let alone the orders of magnitude that some people mention when PATA choking comes up.

If you're looking to do it on the cheap, you'll do fine.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

TeMpLaR posted:

3 mac's will be using timemachine on it, two through airport over my wrt54gs.

I realise this is asked ALL the time, but how are you going to do this?
All the timemachine hacks I've seen require you to have a separate hard drive and don't play nice with pooled storage.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It's going to be connected to a Mac mini, so he won't be hacking anything. The only issues he might run into are stuff I've heard with the Drobo and something about it reporting 2 or 4TB, but I believe people get around that by just making a smaller partition for backups.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

japtor posted:

It's going to be connected to a Mac mini, so he won't be hacking anything. The only issues he might run into are stuff I've heard with the Drobo and something about it reporting 2 or 4TB, but I believe people get around that by just making a smaller partition for backups.

At work I have about 4 machines backing up into a drive in my Mac Pro, I am assuming if all the macs will backup using AFP and the rest of the space will just be used magically. My only concern is that boxee won't see all these videos / pictures and try to index them, crippling the mini in the process of running boxee. The drobo was delivered today ( thanks Newegg ). I hope I have time to get it all going tonight, but I don't think I will.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Stonefish posted:

Yes, PCI bottlenecks SATA itself. I'm not sure if the spindle speed comes into play.
That said, I've got four PATA disks in RAID5 on two chains on a PCI Card for maximum bandwidth chokage, and it's not exactly unbearably slow. The raid5 array I've got on my Dell PERC card (SATA, PCIE) isn't even twice as quick, let alone the orders of magnitude that some people mention when PATA choking comes up.

If you're looking to do it on the cheap, you'll do fine.

I am indeed looking to do it on the cheap, but would you mind my asking what speeds you are getting from your card? And when you say "two chains" are you referring to the drives being connected in parallel?

Also, whats the word on raid cards and linux compatibility? I don't have to get linux to support the hardware raid, but I just need it to see the drives so I can mdadm them all.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
Any suggestions for good tower chassis that can take an Intel/AMD motherboard and between 8 and 10 SATA drives? Server-class stuff would be preferred, but it seems that most cases from SuperMicro or Intel top out around 6 drives before they flip to 12-drive 2U+ chassis.

Goal is to create a server running Linux with ~6-9TB in RAID6 that sits quietly in the corner of an office to do nightly rsync snapshots of a 4TB datasource and keep a reasonable amount of history.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think you're going to have to just get a tower and install a few of these in it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121405

While I managed to cram it into a NSK4480, I recommend getting something with actual space inside, like the CM Stacker or something similar :)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Alowishus posted:

Any suggestions for good tower chassis that can take an Intel/AMD motherboard and between 8 and 10 SATA drives? Server-class stuff would be preferred, but it seems that most cases from SuperMicro or Intel top out around 6 drives before they flip to 12-drive 2U+ chassis.

Goal is to create a server running Linux with ~6-9TB in RAID6 that sits quietly in the corner of an office to do nightly rsync snapshots of a 4TB datasource and keep a reasonable amount of history.

Here's a SuperMicro case with 8 hot-swap bays built in.

EDIT: You could also put in a 3-in-2 hot-swap bay up in those 5.25" spaces if you wanted to cram even more drives in.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 3, 2009

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Kreez posted:

Tomorrow I'll be attempting to set up an unRaid fileserver with 3 640gb drives (WD6400AAKS). The unRaid wiki lists the AAKS drives in both the "recommended hardware" section, as well as the "incompatible hardware" section, so we'll see how that goes. The fun part is going to be finding somewhere to stash my 640gb worth of crap on my existing drive (the other 2 are in the mail) while I test the array out.

Update: The old piece of poo poo motherboard I was going to use can't boot from a USB flash drive (though it can boot from a USB optical drive :confused: ). I solved this by ordering one of these:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121359&Tpk=BOXD945GCLF2
I've wanted one of those to play with for awhile now, and this is a great excuse to buy one! I had to buy a PCI SATA controller as well (Promise TX4) since the board only has 2 SATA ports.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 4, 2009

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008
As a poor college student, all I've been using for a NAS was:

Old PowerMac G3 someone threw out
2x750GB Samsung drives
Debian Linux
Cheap SATA controller

A little work with LVM and I have myself a solution v0v

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

atomicfire posted:

Cheap SATA controller

May I ask what controller you are using?

e: And now that I think about it, I'm going to have to use PCI to connect whatever raid card I get, and since this is not meant to be a super-high-performing NAS, I think I'll just get an old SATA150 card and use that. 66Mhz PCI maxes out at 266MB/s, and I'm not dying for that extra 116MB/s anyway.

Currently I'm thinking of getting this card (4xSATA150 PCI Controller):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124020

I'd totally get this card (Same Card, but SATA300 instead for :10bux: more):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124008
But newegg says they're out! I don't know how I feel about buying something from any other vendor that I might need to RMA.

salted hash browns fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 4, 2009

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Its so easy to get carried away chasing speed and getting cockblocked by the PCI bus when making a NAS. I think everyone should take a deep breath and really consider the chances of breaking 100mb/s throughput in real world use.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

vanjalolz posted:

Its so easy to get carried away chasing speed and getting cockblocked by the PCI bus when making a NAS. I think everyone should take a deep breath and really consider the chances of breaking 100mb/s throughput in real world use.

Very true. Unless you have bonded gigabit network links, you will not exceed the PCI bus' top speed with networked disk access alone. Now if your network card is also sharing the PCI bus, then you could have a legitimate problem.

Then again, many of the machines out there that lack PCI Express or decent onboard SATA also lack onboard gigabit, so the PCI bus is actually a concern for these users. In that case, I'd just recommend just biting the bullet and upgrading to a low-end AM2 platform.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

vanjalolz posted:

I think everyone should take a deep breath and really consider the chances of breaking 100mb/s throughput in real world use.

Mine was built for a 30-man LAN party with 16 disks and dual Intel Gigabit PCI-E NICs.

Chances weren't bad :)

invid
Dec 19, 2002
From a small office point of view, I have a NAS system that needs to be hooked up in the DMZ to allow workers to use it.

Baring the use of VPN, is there any security issues that I need to be aware of?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

invid posted:

From a small office point of view, I have a NAS system that needs to be hooked up in the DMZ to allow workers to use it.

Baring the use of VPN, is there any security issues that I need to be aware of?

Depends on what you mean by DMZ. Thanks to a lot of consumer routers, the term DMZ is often abused to mean "make this one machine wide open, assume everything not explicitly destined elsewhere goes here" where it used to refer to a third network off the router that was neither part of the LAN or WAN and was firewalled from both, but would be where internet-exposed machines went. That way you can have a simple "no unsolicited inbound traffic" from WAN to LAN, forward needed traffic from WAN to DMZ, and then sometimes also forward some traffic from DMZ to LAN, though this has obvious security implications if a DMZ machine with LAN access is compromised.

Remember that many NAS devices are running embedded Linux and using the same services one would use to build a standard server, so they can also have the same vulnerabilities. On top of that, most consumer/SOHO NAS vendors seem to be terribly slow about releasing updated firmware even if there is a critical security flaw. If your NAS is exposed to the internet and has an exploitable flaw, you could be giving anyone who desires it full control over a box on your network unless you're properly restricting it with a real DMZ

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
I setup my Drobo on my Mac mini. Started with 2x640gb drives, and then added a spare 250gb sitting around. This gave me 900GB of redundant storage. I started with running Time machine on two macs, and then copying over some other files. Currently I am using about 100GB, and its performing great. Boxee can play anything without any issue (including 10GB mkv files). Transmission can run at full blast, as backups are going, and media is playing back. The boxee is doing everything I want it to, and was definitely worth it.

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

And then the doorbell would ring and the next santa would come
Is getting a drobo worth it price-wise compared with building something comparable from scratch? I'm thinking that a first generation would be worth it just because I wouldn't have to worry about setting it all up and inevitably figuring out why it doesn't work.. The ability to just plug in randomly sized drives and have it auto-rebuild things seems very nice :(

dustgun fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 9, 2009

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I just ordered the parts to build myself a 3x 750gb (1.5tb usable) opensolaris NAS to replace my openfiler. The motherboard has 6x sata ports, which with some careful juggling and sparse files as block devices, should allow me to rebuild this as a 6 drive array in a few months with no data loss. Total cost to me so far, excluding case and PSU which I already have, was about $375, and that includes an SDHC to ide adapter so my system volume will be an 8GB SSD.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

adorai posted:

I just ordered the parts to build myself a 3x 750gb (1.5tb usable) opensolaris NAS to replace my openfiler. The motherboard has 6x sata ports, which with some careful juggling and sparse files as block devices, should allow me to rebuild this as a 6 drive array in a few months with no data loss. Total cost to me so far, excluding case and PSU which I already have, was about $375, and that includes an SDHC to ide adapter so my system volume will be an 8GB SSD.

To sort of answer the post above this one, my drobo was $375 with no drives. I just ordered a 1.5TB drive, and am going to toss it in once it arrives, bringing me up to 2x640, 1x250, and 1x1.5TB for $615 with shipping / tax.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

dustgun posted:

Is getting a drobo worth it price-wise compared with building something comparable from scratch? I'm thinking that a first generation would be worth it just because I wouldn't have to worry about setting it all up and inevitably figuring out why it doesn't work.. The ability to just plug in randomly sized drives and have it auto-rebuild things seems very nice :(

What is your time worth to you? If a drobo does what you need (more or less) then go for it. I use and prefer firewire, and the drobo works very well for me in a SOHO environment.

If you have enough free time to build something yourself AND don't mind tinkering, then it's really a toss-up I think.

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

And then the doorbell would ring and the next santa would come
Well, if I'm reading things right, unRAID supports online expansion and rebuilding, which is really the most important thing to me. I absolutely do not want to have to copy the contents of a RAID onto another drive or RAID to upgrade capacity in the future. Assuming unRAID supports that, I'd put the tipping point of drobo vs building it myself - case, power supply, drives, everything - at the price of a decent 1TB drive.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003
I just built a server that is maxing out my gigabit ethernet at around 100MB/s, what's the next step up networking wise?

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy
fibre

hope you have a good reason for it though because it will cost a pretty penny

The Pro
May 20, 2008

w_hat posted:

I just built a server that is maxing out my gigabit ethernet at around 100MB/s, what's the next step up networking wise?
Extra gigabit nics and teaming, I would opt for an intel nic.

Or a 10gigabit nic and switch module if you have a money tree in your basement.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

w_hat posted:

Is this a server in your home?
If so, just wondering... what do you do to max this out enough that you're looking for a solution?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm actually kind of impressed that he's getting full speed out of his gigabit network, I've heard that cheaper NICs and switches will only reach half to two-thirds that. I'm curious to know just what his configuration and setup is.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

Dobermaniac posted:

Is this a server in your home?
If so, just wondering... what do you do to max this out enough that you're looking for a solution?

Just curious what my options are, I don't feel like spending a ton of money because I don't really need the speed, it'd just be nice. I move a lot of files around.

Edit: I should mention that just directly connecting two computers somehow would be perfectly acceptable.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm actually kind of impressed that he's getting full speed out of his gigabit network, I've heard that cheaper NICs and switches will only reach half to two-thirds that. I'm curious to know just what his configuration and setup is.

It was between a crappy netgear switch and two gigabyte brand motherboards. No jumbo frames. Server is an OpenSolaris box with a five disk raidz. It seems to be capable of 200MB/s, maybe more. That was during a scrub (CPU/IO intensive).

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

w_hat posted:

Just curious what my options are, I don't feel like spending a ton of money because I don't really need the speed, it'd just be nice. I move a lot of files around.

Edit: I should mention that just directly connecting two computers somehow would be perfectly acceptable.

It was between a crappy netgear switch and two gigabyte brand motherboards. No jumbo frames. Server is an OpenSolaris box with a five disk raidz. It seems to be capable of 200MB/s, maybe more. That was during a scrub (CPU/IO intensive).
200MB/s (where MB = MegaBytes) over Gigabit ethernet is physically impossible. http://web.forret.com/tools/bandwidth.asp?speed=200&unit=MB%2Fs

Do you mean 200mbps (where mb = megabits) which works out to 25MBps? That's a very typical speed over a crappy gigabit switch and onboard nics.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

DLCinferno posted:

fibre

That's just the interconnect, not the networking technology. The steps up from gigabit ethernet are InfiniBand (4GB+ for modern versions at 4x speed) and 10 gigabit ethernet. The latter is more practical and prices are always dropping. Chelsio make some awesome equipment that can run over copper.

As The Pro stated you might be better off going with a dual or quad Intel E1000 card and using link aggregation (LACP).

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 14, 2009

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
An update: OpenSolaris does NOT take kindly to USB drives failing, took me half an hour to figure out wtf was wrong, I would've thought solaris would've told me something like "hey fucktard the drives are bad" but nooooo, it just chugged along trying to reconnect to the drives.

On other news, gently caress Seagate. 2 drives died at EXACTLY THE SAME TIME.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
FMA doesn't know how to deal with USB crap going haywire.

One way or another, USB devices in combination with ZFS will be getting some treatment at some point soon, since there coincidentally is a rather large discussion going on about things related on the ZFS mailing list. It also seems that we're finally getting an uberblock selector in the upcoming weeks (means if your system hosed up royally on the last transaction group, breaking the pool, you can select the least oldest still valid uberblock and start from there).

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

xamphear posted:

200MB/s (where MB = MegaBytes) over Gigabit ethernet is physically impossible. http://web.forret.com/tools/bandwidth.asp?speed=200&unit=MB%2Fs

Do you mean 200mbps (where mb = megabits) which works out to 25MBps? That's a very typical speed over a crappy gigabit switch and onboard nics.

You misunderstood, scrubbing is like chkdsk /R for ZFS. No network involved.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Many pages back I detailed my issues with using consumer level harddrives with an enterprise controller.
I originally had problems of my consumer class drives timing out and dropping from the array. After researching this I found that when consumer drives encounter a bad sector the relocated the data. This relocation takes far too long and the controller assumes the drive is dead.
The solution is to use Enterprise level drives. They have shorter timeouts (Western Digital calls this Time Limited Error Recovery or TLER).

My card: Areca ARC-1680ix-24
A hojillion harddrives: WD RE3 1TB

Time to by some SAS expanders :q:

dlmachine
Sep 16, 2007
So like many others, I'm trying to sort out my options.

I have two laptops (one running OSX 10.5, the other running Vista) and a 360 all on a wireless network. I'm looking for something that can be used for backing up data from both laptops as well as stream media to the 360.

Having skimmed through the thread, the DNS 323 seems to be the most popular option, but I'm curious as to how ReadyNAS and Drobo compare particularly given everything is connected wirelessly. Also, I'm not too constrained by upfront cost, but don't want to be seeing a huge spike in my electric bill.

A few other notes. I'd really like to take advantage of TimeMachine or write my own script that does something similar (in the sense that I can access previous versions of backed up files). I know TimeMachine can be made to work with a NAS, but I'm concerned as to how much this is going to bog down both my laptop and the network. Lastly, I'd like to be able to access my music library through the NAS, but I also want to still be able to sync my ipod from my laptop and keep my play counts and all that stuff updated via iTunes. Would it make sense to just keep a local copy of my music on my laptop and share the "backed up" copy on the network?

edit: I'd also kill to have something like PlayOn running on this thing so I could access Hulu and other streaming video content through my 360. Does anything like this exist?

dlmachine fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 19, 2009

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Time Machine is a total bitch to get working, from my experience. It required several hacks to get running on an SMB volume hosted on a Linux box, but maybe the Drobos are better about it.

iSCSI was the only non-AFP, non-local volume I've had any luck running Time Machine on easily.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

If anyone was curious, I have assembled this system, and my performance so far is great. 25MB/s writes, 50MB/s reads. I can't tell you how many iops it gets but my ESXi server gets performance that is more than acceptable for 4 VMs. This is in it's current state, which is a 3 disk pool.

angelfoodcakez
Mar 22, 2003
crank dat robocop

adorai posted:

If anyone was curious, I have assembled this system, and my performance so far is great. 25MB/s writes, 50MB/s reads. I can't tell you how many iops it gets but my ESXi server gets performance that is more than acceptable for 4 VMs. This is in it's current state, which is a 3 disk pool.

You keep the VM disk images on a separate device from the ESXi server? How does that work? I'd love to do that with my upcoming NAS and ESXi boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

angelfoodcakez posted:

You keep the VM disk images on a separate device from the ESXi server? How does that work? I'd love to do that with my upcoming NAS and ESXi boxes.
iscsi targets on the opensolaris box, and gigabit ethernet. Performance isn't quite as fast as it would be if I had a few disks available to put in the ESXi box, however I can do snapshot gimmicks for backups and I didn't have to worry about using a motherboard with a supported storage controller.