Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

quote:

DQ8

Thanks guys. I've got the Bradygames guide for it which has alchemy recipes and marginally better skill descriptions, so I should be good on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008
Silent Hill

I decided I wanted to get some back story on the Silent Hill series before I play the other ones and From Earth's screen shot LP wasn't doing it for me, so I snagged a friend's copy of Silent Hill.

I'm playing it on normal, and so far it's pretty easy, I'm rolling in ammo and health drinks, but I'm only to the elementary school. Should I play it on hard, even though I'm just playing for the story, or does it get harder from here on out.

Also, are there any secrets I should now about, pickups, things not to do because it will horribly screw your game up even though you could have no way of knowing in advance because that's the way the crazy Japanese do it, etc.

More importantly, does this game grade you on the number of saves, how often you die, because I only want to play through it once for the good ending / how do it get the best ending?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

tokyosexwale posted:

Silent Hill

Also, are there any secrets I should now about, pickups, things not to do because it will horribly screw your game up even though you could have no way of knowing in advance because that's the way the crazy Japanese do it, etc.

More importantly, does this game grade you on the number of saves, how often you die, because I only want to play through it once for the good ending / how do it get the best ending?
Getting the best ending is kind of tricky without knowing how to do it before hand. It has nothing to do with your deaths or number of saves or something like that (however stuff like that does matter for Silent Hill 2), but rather there are just a few small, but very specific, sidequests you have to do. One determines whether you get the Good or Bad ending, while the other determines whether you get the Good/Bad or Good+/Bad+ (basically just an enhancement of the previous endings).

Without spoiling it completely, I'll give a few hints I suppose...since half the fun is figuring out the puzzle anyway.

Getting the Good ending:
-Go to Annie's Bar when you get the chance
-Try to figure out how to open the gas tank in the motorcycle you find in a certain location

Getting Good+/Bad+:
-Try to figure out a way to pick up the liquid on the ground in the hospital
-You'll want to use it during a certain boss fight (not the last one)

Except for that final line, all of these things should be something you can do as soon as you discover them. In other words, don't just gloss them over and expect to have a chance to go back and do them later.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 3, 2009

The Phantom Ghost
Feb 28, 2007

hold on what kind of fighting robot is he again
The Last Remnant:

-There's a reason you can save anywhere, and it is because battles take really long. Save a lot. No one will judge you for it.

-Use Mr. Diggs as much as you can because he gets a lot better at digging and a lot of those components (especially metals) are needed to upgrade weapons. And as a general rule of thumb save a few digs for any red harvest points you may miss.

-When you capture monsters, always make sure you've got a nice supply of each component it's comprised of before you decide to keep it.

-You don't have to do all side quests available, because there are a lot, but if you're having trouble with story quests, don't keep attempting it, do some side quests. If a side quest is too hard, do a different side quest or go exploring.

-It's usually a good idea to hit the guild in town first to see if you've met any of the requirements, especially the "obtain 3 of X" ones. Because if you use those components for crafting, you no longer have the requirement.

-Don't feel pressured to use the first battle leaders you get. While the ones with super attacks are quite useful, feel free to use characters unlocked from side quests as they will usually give your team a bit more variety.

-As soon as soldiers who can use revive herbs show up, recruit a few and stick them into your unions.

-You can turn off the QTE crits (making them a random chance) in the options if they buggin you, although there is an achievement for doing a lot of them right.

- Always use your time shift to engage battles so you can keep your chain up. Remember, you can use your time shift to avoid battles too although it makes it a bit more risky.

-and yes, INSTALL TO YOUR HDD

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

tokyosexwale posted:

Silent Hill

I decided I wanted to get some back story on the Silent Hill series before I play the other ones and From Earth's screen shot LP wasn't doing it for me, so I snagged a friend's copy of Silent Hill.

I'm playing it on normal, and so far it's pretty easy, I'm rolling in ammo and health drinks, but I'm only to the elementary school. Should I play it on hard, even though I'm just playing for the story, or does it get harder from here on out.

The game grades you on many things, such as the number of saves, continues, time, accuracy, and some other things. It is only for some different new game+ weapons.

Playing on hard seemed to be a horrifying experience as I had no trouble on normal, yet those kids/enemies will spawn nonstop and the endless noise they make, made me erase all my saves. The difficulty isn't entirely like the normal games but at least you get many more enemies at once and ammo becomes scarce.

Use up all your ammo before you fight the final boss for a time-delayed secret. Just fire everything you have and trigger the final battle.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Without spoiling it completely, I'll give a few hints I suppose...since half the fun is figuring out the puzzle anyway.

Getting the Good ending:
-Go to Annie's Bar when you get the chance
-Try to figure out how to open the gas tank in the motorcycle you find in a certain location

Getting Good+/Bad+:
-Try to figure out a way to pick up the liquid on the ground in the hospital
-You'll want to use it during a certain boss fight (not the last one)

Except for that final line, all of these things should be something you can do as soon as you discover them. In other words, don't just gloss them over and expect to have a chance to go back and do them later.

I'll assume from your hints that the game isn't completely inane in telling you when to do these things. Or are they one of those things that you have to completely stop the plot and go scouring the town at a certain time or you're screwed. If it's the former that's fine, like you said half the fun is figuring out the puzzles, but if they're those where you need to be telepathic or the developer to figure out scenarios, screw that.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The game grades you on many things, such as the number of saves, continues, time, accuracy, and some other things. It is only for some different new game+ weapons.

Playing on hard seemed to be a horrifying experience as I had no trouble on normal, yet those kids/enemies will spawn nonstop and the endless noise they make, made me erase all my saves. The difficulty isn't entirely like the normal games but at least you get many more enemies at once and ammo becomes scarce.

Use up all your ammo before you fight the final boss for a time-delayed secret. Just fire everything you have and trigger the final battle.
So all hard modes does is make enemies infinitely respawn, and lowers the ammo pickup rate? No harder puzzles or stuff like that? Screw that if so, the last thing Silent Hill needs is more enemies to fight. The combats is horrible enough as is. I was hoping hard mode just made stuff more scarce and the puzzles more complex. drat.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Easy mode doubles your ammo pickup and others make it normal. If you beat the easy game and start over at normal or normal then hard (you are locked in difficulty), you get a bonus multiplier in ammo pickups (maybe up to 9X). Some enemies in places do respawn often in easy mode as far as I can tell, with the headless bears sneaking up on me in the sewers.

Silent Hill 3 does hard mode much better by adding steps to puzzles.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

tokyosexwale posted:

I'll assume from your hints that the game isn't completely inane in telling you when to do these things. Or are they one of those things that you have to completely stop the plot and go scouring the town at a certain time or you're screwed. If it's the former that's fine, like you said half the fun is figuring out the puzzles, but if they're those where you need to be telepathic or the developer to figure out scenarios, screw that.

So all hard modes does is make enemies infinitely respawn, and lowers the ammo pickup rate? No harder puzzles or stuff like that? Screw that if so, the last thing Silent Hill needs is more enemies to fight. The combats is horrible enough as is. I was hoping hard mode just made stuff more scarce and the puzzles more complex. drat.

It is really easy to skip the one dealing with Annie's Bar, but the other one you will find an item and ask yourself what the hell you can use it for and then you will approach a room and just be like.... oh.
But yeah, I have missed out on the first one once and had to reload a save to go back to it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Easy mode doubles your ammo pickup and others make it normal. If you beat the easy game and start over at normal or normal then hard (you are locked in difficulty), you get a bonus multiplier in ammo pickups (maybe up to 9X). Some enemies in places do respawn often in easy mode as far as I can tell, with the headless bears sneaking up on me in the sewers.

Silent Hill 3 does hard mode much better by adding steps to puzzles.

Yeah, but Silent Hill 3 has two difficulties, a combat difficulty and a puzzle difficulty.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I am about to start playing Bamahut Lagoon (fan-translation) and Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP remake), possibly at the same time.

Any advice for either?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I am about to start playing Bamahut Lagoon (fan-translation) and Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP remake), possibly at the same time.

Any advice for either?

For Final Fantasy Tactics, make multiple saves. There are some places when after you finish a combat, either another one starts up immediately, or you are placed in an area of the map where no grinding is available. That can really screw a game over in some points if you are not set up for one or two of the fights.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
FFT:

Males have better Physical Attack stats and growth, Females better Magic Attack stats and growth. Ramza has the strong points of both male and female. You WILL notice the difference between(For instance), a male Monk and a Female Monk.

High Brave improves the attack power of unarmed strikes for the Monk and the basic attack of any monsters you might decide to take up. It also improves Knight Swords. Finally, high Brave improves the odds of Reaction Abilities.

High Faith improves all magic effects-damage dealt, healing dealt, healing taken damage taken, and the success rates of status magic(Both positive and negative). A caster is thus something of a glass cannon by default. Low Faith is the opposite, with no risk of leaving.

Chemists are highly useful-sometimes you need someone to heal/revive a person NOW. In the early game, they're certainly as if not more useful than Priests, though expensive to run(Item buying).

The success of the Thief's various Steal commands is based off Speed.

Oracles can be disturbingly powerful. Drain and Osmose(Hp and MP drain) are percentage-based, rather than a fixed sum. Their unique weapon, the Stick, is based off Magic Power, not Physical power, and it has a two-square range.

Assuming the commands are still roughly the same as PSX, Triangle at any time will bring up a turn listing-which will also show when spells will go off.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I'm looking for some more stuff on the Baldur's Gate Collection. Just got the DVDs in the mail today!

I'm not necessarily looking for advice on the games themselves (I wouldn't ignore any, however!), but I plan on going through using BGTuTu and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to know beforehand that isn't immediately obvious.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

The Machine posted:

I'm looking for some more stuff on the Baldur's Gate Collection. Just got the DVDs in the mail today!

I'm not necessarily looking for advice on the games themselves (I wouldn't ignore any, however!), but I plan on going through using BGTuTu and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to know beforehand that isn't immediately obvious.

You might want to consider one of the fixpacks. I forget where you get the most up to date one (gibberlings three?). In particular the "green water" fix, that annoyed the hell out of me for some reason.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
Final Fantasy VIII? Tips? I feel like I should finally get around to playing this since I've played 4, 6 and 7. I heard the combat system is kinda crazy. Also it is worth playing through, right?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Morganus_Starr posted:

Final Fantasy VIII? Tips? I feel like I should finally get around to playing this since I've played 4, 6 and 7. I heard the combat system is kinda crazy. Also it is worth playing through, right?

Don't grind. Enemies level up with you, so just go through the game at your own pace.
Draw all the magic you can, and junction in to your stats for major stat increases.
Many cutscenes are badass and should be watched.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

The Machine posted:

Get the fixpack and widescreen resolution MOD. Not sure how the latter complies with the Tutu alterations. There's also a thingie that allows using the BG2 engine on BG1 (assuming you own both games) - maybe that's the Tutu.

Gogo.

Wilikai
Feb 20, 2003

Why hello Ms. Trepe would you like to be in my video?

Morganus_Starr posted:

It's definitely worth playing through. A few things to know:

- The magic system involves drawing magic from enemies before you can use it. This may seem tedious at first, but you really only have to do it in the beginning. You can get most of your magic in the game from draw points, or from refining cards/items.

- Most abilities are not learned by your party members, but by the Guardian Forces (GFs, kind of like summons) they equip. You also use the GFs to enhance your stats (like Strength) with spells (like Fire). This is called the junctioning system, and a lot of people seem to find it confusing. The tutorials in the game do a good job of explaining things, though.

- If you enjoy the card mini-game (most people do, I think), you'll have an easier time with the main game, because the cards you win can be refined into useful items and spells.

- Enemies level up with you. That means, as a general rule, EXP (raises your level) is bad and AP (teaches your GFs different abilities) is good. Turning enemies into cards (with Shiva's Card ability) gives you AP but no EXP, and a card in your collection. It's very useful.

- Always check to see what can be drawn from bosses. Many of the GFs can only be found by drawing them from bosses. A boss called Elvoret is the first example of this if you want to see what I mean.

- There's a plot twist halfway through that is pretty stupid. Many people quit the game at that point. Hopefully just knowing it's coming will avoid that. If you want it spoiled, almost all of the main characters know each other from the past, and have since forgotten about it due to the Guardian Forces they equip for power.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Morganus_Starr posted:

Junctioning-In general, Offence spells to offence stats, defensive spells to defensive stats. Protect would give a far higher Vitality than Fira, for instance. The auto-junction can do a fairly decent job, but you'll want to adjust some things to fit.

LEARN THE REFINE SKILLS. Being able to convert your junk into magic or other items is critical to an easier time. Here's an early example-the fish enemies you can encounter on the beach at the very beginning of the game drop Fish Fins. These refine into Water magic, which is pretty powerful for stats at the time.

It's been noted that grinding for raw EXP hurts you-The enemies power up more than you do through levels. With this in mind, you want to take steps to make sure you don't get EXP. To that end, the 'Card' command is your best friend, especially as cards can convert into more magic by turning them into items that can be converted through the skill 'Card Mod'. Bosses cannot be carded, but then bosses don't give EXP.

Limit breaks become more common and more powerful the more bashed up your team is. Please note that this is relative to Max HP. Junction something hefty to HP and defences and don't heal the 'damage' from the increased maximum and you've got 'free' Limits for the firing.

In most cases, your highest spells will be saved for junctioning. This doesn't mean you can't cast. Use your lesser spells. The boost from your junctioning will mean they will pack QUITE a punch.

Draw success rate and number of spells gained is based off your Mag stat. Keep it high.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 5, 2009

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Zuffox posted:

Get the fixpack and widescreen resolution MOD. Not sure how the latter complies with the Tutu alterations. There's also a thingie that allows using the BG2 engine on BG1 (assuming you own both games) - maybe that's the Tutu.

Gogo.

I have the big DVD Collection, so I have them all. I have TuTu installed and running now, but I totally forgot about the widescreen mod, so thanks!

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Wilikai posted:

- There's a plot twist halfway through that is pretty stupid. Many people quit the game at that point. Hopefully just knowing it's coming will avoid that. If you want it spoiled, almost all of the main characters know each other from the past, and have since forgotten about it due to the Guardian Forces they equip for power.

You're kidding, right? People quit the game because of that? I actually thought it was kinda cool.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Son Ryo posted:

You're kidding, right? People quit the game because of that? I actually thought it was kinda cool.

I thought it was pretty dumb and really felt ham-fisted, the way it was shoved into the story like that, but it didn't deter me from playing the rest of the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Morpheus posted:

I thought it was pretty dumb and really felt ham-fisted, the way it was shoved into the story like that, but it didn't deter me from playing the rest of the game.
Wasn't that just a theory some idiot thought up as an excuse for losing their memories? Everyone just agreed that it was true since they all lost their memories over a specific time and they didn't want to continue the discussion.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Wasn't that just a theory some idiot thought up as an excuse for losing their memories? Everyone just agreed that it was true since they all lost their memories over a specific time and they didn't want to continue the discussion.

Do you mean some idiot in real life or some idiot in the game? Because it was definitely an idiot (they're all idiots) in the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Vivek posted:

Do you mean some idiot in real life or some idiot in the game? Because it was definitely an idiot (they're all idiots) in the game.

This I agree with, with one or two exceptions. But yeah, it was just some "Oh, look, big plot twist out of nowhere! Let's go kill some evil person! GOOOO FRIENDSHIP!"

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Morganus_Starr posted:

It's a fun game. Remember to draw Siren, though - without spoiling any plot details, you draw it from a boss relatively early on in the game. I'm sure that there are other GFs that need to be gotten that way, and it sucks not having and levelling them for a _long_ while.

If you don't get Siren, for instance, you won't be able to use the save point near (boss name spoiler:)Ultima Weapon, forcing you to go through 45 minutes' worth of battle before facing it. And it sucks, believe you me.

cnrkb fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 5, 2009

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm getting Valkyria Chronicles from Gamefly tomorrow, but what are some in general tips for the game. I tried the demo, but immediately seem to get all my characters killed by a tank.

Also what are some good tips on Force Unleashed. Just finished Cloud City, but there still seems to be more left in the game before it's finished.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Rirse posted:

I'm getting Valkyria Chronicles from Gamefly tomorrow, but what are some in general tips for the game. I tried the demo, but immediately seem to get all my characters killed by a tank.

Yeah, don't run in front of tanks, they'll gently caress you up good.

There's not that much to know about VC that isn't common sense, each battle requires its own unique tactics.

- Make sure the enemy doesn't take your camps, which it will sometimes try to do.
- Stay behind cover whenever you can, no matter where the enemies shoot you from, they won't be able to get headshots on you.
- Snipers are not as powerful as they seem, and headshots will miss a lot for you.
- Don't take that goddamn druggie engineer, the guy with "Moody" as one of his potentials. That little poo poo will, at random times, decide to do dick all when you select him. I hate that guy.
- Know that if a unit gets shot at from their front, they have a chance to duck, which won't make them invincible, but will make it harder to hit.
- Likewise, shooting a unit from behind makes them unable to counterattack.
- For some reason, the evil lady has large breasts. No one really knows why.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, don't run in front of tanks, they'll gently caress you up good.

There's not that much to know about VC that isn't common sense, each battle requires its own unique tactics.

- Make sure the enemy doesn't take your camps, which it will sometimes try to do.
- Stay behind cover whenever you can, no matter where the enemies shoot you from, they won't be able to get headshots on you.
- Snipers are not as powerful as they seem, and headshots will miss a lot for you.
- Don't take that goddamn druggie engineer, the guy with "Moody" as one of his potentials. That little poo poo will, at random times, decide to do dick all when you select him. I hate that guy.
- Know that if a unit gets shot at from their front, they have a chance to duck, which won't make them invincible, but will make it harder to hit.
- Likewise, shooting a unit from behind makes them unable to counterattack.

One sniper is really good, Marina, but even then, you need to level them up a bit before they're reliable killing machines.

Don't bother to level up engineers or snipers as much as Scouts and Shocktroopers, Scouts will be your main force in most missions once they get a few levels, with shocktroopers and lancers getting more and more situational use.

Dypsymphuliac
Jan 26, 2007

Vae, me concacavi, puto!
Don't play Final Fantasy VIII. Seriously.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Morpheus posted:

I know why.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Morganus_Starr posted:

It's definitely worth trying at least once. Play through the story once, and once you get to Disc 4 you can go on GameFAQs and look up all the little side-quests that you wouldn't find otherwise. Seriously, some of those are WAY too subtle for the naked eye.

My best advice would be to get your GFs to learn "Boost" as soon as possible. It'll come in handy when you summon your GFs in longer fights.

Also, if you happen to find any issues of Occult Fan magazine, you can sell them at the nearest store for 17,500 gil each. The first one is on a bookshelf near the draw point in the Balamb Garden library, and you can find it as soon as you get to walk around the Garden for the first time. It's nice to have enough money to buy 100 potions before you even attempt the first mission. :D

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I know why.

Lies!

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

When I played FF8, I found myself needing to summon the GFs during every battle and their unskippable animations got annoying fast. I've been told in the years since that you don't need to use them like that at all if you use the junction system correctly. Keep that in mind.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Zero Star reminded me: Remember to take the quizzes in the menu; it'll net you a higher income wage the more you advance. Easy to miss, obviously.

Dypsymphuliac
Jan 26, 2007

Vae, me concacavi, puto!
Though I hate FF8, I guess I'll contribute.

Get Mug as early as possible. Once you get the Magic Lamp (after a certain story event) use it to fight Diablos who will then become one of your GFs. He can be pretty hard, so you might need to grind just a little, but if you can stock up some gravity magic and use it against him it shouldn't be so bad.

If you Mug an enemy they won't drop an item. I learned this very late in the game and it frustrated the hell out of me. Some enemies drop different items than you steal from them, so you'll occasionally not want to steal. Of course, GameFaqs has all the giant charts of drops and steals.

Once you can make mid-high level magic out of lower magic, go ahead and use all your lower level ice/fire/thunder spells to do this. There's no reason to keep weaker magic, especially since your characters can only hold a finite number of different spells.

Already posted, but STOCK UP ON WATER SPELLS!!! They really make the first half of the game a lot more manageable.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Dypsymphuliac posted:

Get Mug as early as possible. Once you get the Magic Lamp (after a certain story event) use it to fight Diablos who will then become one of your GFs. He can be pretty hard, so you might need to grind just a little, but if you can stock up some gravity magic and use it against him it shouldn't be so bad.
There's no need to grind to beat this boss. All you need to do is cast blind on him. He'll have an extraordinarily difficult time killing you when he can't do physical damage. his gravity spells can get you to 1 HP but no lower.

Dypsymphuliac
Jan 26, 2007

Vae, me concacavi, puto!
You have no idea how ashamed I am that I never thought of that.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

The Machine posted:

I have the big DVD Collection, so I have them all. I have TuTu installed and running now, but I totally forgot about the widescreen mod, so thanks!

Excellent Mod Install order list for Tutu-EasyTutu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Wilikai posted:

It's definitely worth playing through. A few things to know:

I must not have been paying attention because I don't remember that at all. In fact I was pretty sure it was never explained who the gently caress the other people really were. Maybe I was just too young and dumb to notice.