Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Pissingintowind posted:

Fan delete stuff.

Anecdotal, but I have ran without the mechanical fan in stop and go traffic in Florida for a year now with absolutely no trouble. I used the lower temp fan switch and thermostat and two bottles of Redline water wetter (which you can get at autozone), with regular 50/50 premix Prestone antifreeze and a stock radiator. The temp needle has never gone above the 12 o'clock position.

Does it give an increase in power? None that I noticed. I guess it might make the engine rev up a bit faster, but that's about it. The biggest benefit is not having to take the drat thing off and on whenever you work on the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Anecdotal, but I have ran without the mechanical fan in stop and go traffic in Florida for a year now with absolutely no trouble. I used the lower temp fan switch and thermostat and two bottles of Redline water wetter (which you can get at autozone), with regular 50/50 premix Prestone antifreeze and a stock radiator. The temp needle has never gone above the 12 o'clock position.

Does it give an increase in power? None that I noticed. I guess it might make the engine rev up a bit faster, but that's about it. The biggest benefit is not having to take the drat thing off and on whenever you work on the engine.

Why did you decide against BMW OE coolant? I've also heard that diesel water wetter is better, but I can't remember why. Do you happen to have a real temperature readout (not a dummy gauge)?

case
Mar 27, 2005

Went to an E30 meet in Portsmouth (Southern UK). My favourite picture of the day

Click here for the full 1024x426 image.

Probably 30+ E30's featuring Alpinas, an AC Schnitzer touring, lots of 325 Sports. A good run out if a bit bloody cold.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

case posted:

Probably 30+ E30's featuring Alpinas, an AC Schnitzer touring, lots of 325 Sports. A good run out if a bit bloody cold.

You wouldn't happen to have pics of those as well by any chance?

case
Mar 27, 2005

Lufiron posted:

You wouldn't happen to have pics of those as well by any chance?

Other peoples pictures, my camera packed up because of the cold (about -1c).

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Pissingintowind posted:

fan delete.

My fan kept exploding right around year 13/110k miles so I ran without it for a few months and my cooling was fine. But now my car is all patched up and the fan back in. The reasoning is if your fan is exploding, SOMETHING IS WRONG. In my case it was engine mounts, and my engine was sliding forward under braking and shoving the fan into the shroud. The involved tolerances with an engine that is sliding around adds up to other components too, as you can imagine.

So my advice to you is make it so your fan does not explode first, and then decide if you want to modify your system for a fan delete. A fan exploding is a indicator/symptom - it's not the problem.

Now for my own question: have any of you E36ers installed a clutch stop? I put a modest one in a year ago (as in not dramatically short pedal travel) and I'm starting to feel like putting the lever into 1st is becoming a little stubborn. I have since removed it, but maybe its in my head? Any thoughts?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Diesel water wetter is better for the fdm because it doesn't produce the disgusting oil slick that will be floating in the coolant reservoir.

I've never had any problems with my clutch stop. Have you tried changing the trans or clutch fluids?

I spent two hours last night trying to get 19 y/o paper gaskets off my m42 oil pan. Sigh. Permatex gasket remover still didn't help much.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

BraveUlysses posted:

I spent two hours last night trying to get 19 y/o paper gaskets off my m42 oil pan. Sigh. Permatex gasket remover still didn't help much.

Sandpaper or a wire brush? That's what I used for my waterpump's paper gasket.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brock Landers posted:

Sandpaper or a wire brush? That's what I used for my waterpump's paper gasket.

A wirewheel on a Dremel, angle grinder or die grinder would also work.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm finally shopping for a real car. I'm looking at about 10 billion different models of all types. Practicality is not an issue, but I want to keep the car under $20k.

I've found an '04 330i M-Sport Individual, with 95,000km (59,000 miles) on it. It's off-lease from BMW with 1 owner, and Carfax checks out. Yes, it's manual.

Now, is that many miles on an '05 something to worry about? What common issues are there with the late model E46 sedans? Is that car a decent deal at $19k (Canadian)? Should I just buy the fuckin thing?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm finally shopping for a real car. I'm looking at about 10 billion different models of all types. Practicality is not an issue, but I want to keep the car under $20k.

I've found an '04 330i M-Sport Individual, with 95,000km (59,000 miles) on it. It's off-lease from BMW with 1 owner, and Carfax checks out. Yes, it's manual.

Now, is that many miles on an '05 something to worry about? What common issues are there with the late model E46 sedans? Is that car a decent deal at $19k (Canadian)? Should I just buy the fuckin thing?

Possible things that will need attention around then, in my experience:

- Cooling System. Cooling System. Cooling System. Just budget $600 and replace everything when you get it, then you're good to go for another few years.

- Suspension: The dampers are more than likely shot, use this as an opportunity to replace the entire suspension with better stuff.

- Camshaft Position Sensors: There are two of them, they're hit or miss as to whether they fail at 50k or 150k, but they're easy to replace.

- General maintenence items like the air filter, cabin air filter, fuel filter, etc.

It's also a good idea to replace all the "lifetime fluids." So as soon as you get the car change the oil, tranny and rear end fluid. Grab a bottle or two of Dex III ATF and flush the power steering by turkey bastering out the reservoir then refilling it, turning the car on and then turn the wheel lock to lock a few times, rinse, repeat until the fluid you're taking out looks almost new.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

I just scored big at the junkyard. I got a 3.46 LSD off a 1988 528 Super Eta automatic, which as far as I know is the only year and car that BMW gave a 3.46 LSD from the factory. Except for maybe the 6 series cars. Either way I am stoked as hell.

Now I just need a doner E36 diff.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
I'm loving the E30 content here.

these two are being extremely patient:

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

3.46 LSD

Fuckin' A, bubba!

That's awesome. I'm going to go hunting for these myself. How much did it run you? Has the BMW LSD design changed since '88?

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP

Sterndotstern posted:

Has the BMW LSD design changed since '88?

I do not think anything interchanges for E46s and beyond. Also I believe you can only swap parts between the same "size" differential (small, medium, or large).

E36's can use E30 medium case differential guts, but you need to open up the differentials to transfer it.

The E36/5 (Compact, 318ti) can use an E30 medium case differential with no major modifications. If you want to use the larger E30 axles, make sure to grab the E30 output flanges, and to either use E30 ABS sensors or shim your stock sensors.

E28s have the same medium case differential as a E30, but with different output flanges and a different rear mount (all easily changed).

Medium cases:

Small cases:

Medium versus Large Case (Not my picture)

It is hard to know what vehicles will have an LSD because it was often an option. Unusually it is best to check the tag, or to spin the wheels by hand to see if it has an LSD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E30#Drivetrain
http://www.e30eta.com/ecdiff.htm
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=44635

Make sure you have a 19mm (for the top mounting bolts) and 17mm (for the drive shaft) open ended wrenches, 19mm socket with articulating ratchet, and some metric hex socket bits to undo the axles when you go to the junkyard. A flat bar will also help separate the differential from the drive shaft. It also helps to pile up some old tires under the differential to catch it. And either hope the parking brake still works, or bring a bar or pipe wrench along to keep the axles from turning.

The only reason I have so much information on them is because I have been hoarding all the E30/E28 medium case BMW differentials that come into our local junkyard. I think I am down to under an hour to pull one. :) They have excellent prices, $50 normal price or $25 on Wild Wednesday. At this price they are cheaper than replacement seal kits.

Swap_File fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 8, 2009

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I ran my mothers 3 series (e46, 2003) out of gas yesterday, just as just I got on the freeway, the gas gauge read 1/8 of a tank ... thankfully I was able to coast ~2 miles to a gas station

I noticed the gas gauge was loving up on tuesday, after I had filled it from somewhere in the half tank area (in cold temperatures at higher elevation, reno nevada in this case) ... I drove a distance that I know takes about half a tank of gas, it said I had 3/4 left

my 5 series (e39, 2000) had its gas gauge stop working, I remember the joy of just keeping it full and watching the trip meter and I seem to remember it not exactly being cheap

is this is a common problem? her car is at 140k, mine would have likely been around that same mileage (if not more)

also, what the gently caress could have broken ?

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 8, 2009

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Sterndotstern posted:

Fuckin' A, bubba!

That's awesome. I'm going to go hunting for these myself. How much did it run you?

$70, less than shipping one from anywhere else in the country. I forgot my friggin 25% off coupon at home, so it easily could have been around $50, but I'm not complaining.

I had to leave one of the stub axles because I stripped 2 of the hex bolts. At that point I resorted to a lot of kicking, cursing and yanking. The rear half of the drive shaft came out with it because it got hung up on one of the four (rusted) bolts that connect it to the input flange.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
What is the entire title of this tread supposed to be?
What's the difference between a porcupine and a b.. what?

It's been annoying me for quite some time..

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Hermansen posted:

What is the entire title of this tread supposed to be?
What's the difference between a porcupine and a b.. what?

It's been annoying me for quite some time..

Old joke. What's the difference between a Porcupine and a BMW? A BMW has the pricks on the inside.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The original joke was a porcupine and a Porsche. It makes more sense; both words beginning with por. Having dealt with BMW owners for the past 3 years, the two are pretty much interchangeable.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Mad Dragon posted:

The original joke was a porcupine and a Porsche. It makes more sense; both words beginning with por. Having dealt with BMW owners for the past 3 years, the two are pretty much interchangeable.

The original joke is just about anyone you want to make fun of. BMW drivers, lawyers, politicians, etc. I can't count how many times I've heard people use that joke and think they're hilarious.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Possible things that will need attention around then, in my experience:

- Cooling System. Cooling System. Cooling System. Just budget $600 and replace everything when you get it, then you're good to go for another few years.

- Suspension: The dampers are more than likely shot, use this as an opportunity to replace the entire suspension with better stuff.

- Camshaft Position Sensors: There are two of them, they're hit or miss as to whether they fail at 50k or 150k, but they're easy to replace.

- General maintenence items like the air filter, cabin air filter, fuel filter, etc.

It's also a good idea to replace all the "lifetime fluids." So as soon as you get the car change the oil, tranny and rear end fluid. Grab a bottle or two of Dex III ATF and flush the power steering by turkey bastering out the reservoir then refilling it, turning the car on and then turn the wheel lock to lock a few times, rinse, repeat until the fluid you're taking out looks almost new.

Good to know, thanks. I went and checked it out yesterday, my buddy bought an '06 RX-8 Shinka from them so I decided it would be a good opportunity to go look at this 330i.

It's loving gorgeous. Goddamnit what a gigantic pile of loving sex. It's almost perfect all over, save for a tiny ding on the driver's side door and the bottom right of the rear window where it meets the top of the right rear fender, the clearcoat seems to be bubbling there.

What sort of things were available for the Individual poo poo? I thought it was custom interior colours and such. This thing is just grey seats with grey stitching. Though, the steering wheel is entirely suede or alcantara or whatever it is, I haven't seen that on any BMWs before.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

VERTiG0 posted:

he steering wheel is entirely suede or alcantara or whatever it is, I haven't seen that on any BMWs before.

That wheel comes with the E46 ZHP package, and is quite sought-after as a retrofit for other BMWs. The "Individual" stuff is paint, interior trim and wheel options, often combined with a German Delivery. It's on my lifetime todo list.

Regarding the purchase: I refrained from posting before, but my 2002 330i was one of my very favorite all-around cars. It was pretty well used by the time I got it, and I sold it before it needed the whole cooling system gone through... But honestly, they do EVERYTHING well: the sedans fit 4 adults comfortably, the shifter (I put the vibration-isolated B&M short shift in and it was buttery smooth) and wheel feedback were superb, it got ~30mpg in real-world highway driving, had a quiet interior with a great stereo, was entertaining on the track (the non-LSD E46s are HILARIOUSLY drifty with one-wheel drive) and was cheap to insure.

If my wife hadn't been in grad school and we hadn't found a luscious E36 M3, we would still have it. Probably the best all-purpose car ever made:

Click here for the full 902x600 image.

For $20k, a nicely cared-for example is a great deal.

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna

Sterndotstern posted:

For $20k, a nicely cared-for example is a great deal.

I love your car, but that's a terrible deal. Even in Canada. And I've been shopping for exactly that car.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Selling the 323is for $5500. Throwing it up here in case any of you are interested:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2400145&pagenumber=12&perpage=40#post356331894

Well maintained, I can post more details for you gents in here:

- Suspension was replaced with the UUC Tuned Spring/Damper Set, installed with brand new E46 rear shock mounts and Z3 reinforcing plates:
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/CATALOG/uucsachs-stage-3-tuned-spring-and-damper-set-for-1992-2004-3-series.htm

- Shifter is actually the Understeer.com short shift kit, replaced all bushings on both sides of the selector rod

- Absolutely all maintainance is up to date: fresh air filter, oil, plugs, fluids, bushings, Inspections.

- Bushings replaced: rear trailing arm, front control arm, inner rear control arm.

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 9, 2009

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ok, so I'm selling the 323is to pick up a M3. I want to put a new suspension on the M3, too, but I'm looking at picking up either the Ground Control Track School kit or the tried-and-true Bilstein + H&R kit.

The GC kit comes with struts fully assembled with camber plates, but costs about $500 more. Is the adjustability of the Koni's and the camber plates worth it for a car that will be lightly tracked (a couple times a year when I'm instructing and want to take someone for a taxi ride)? Or should I just get the non-adjustable Bilsteins and leave it at that?

For what it's worth, on my race car I have custom-valved, shortened Koni sports and absolutely LOVE them.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
What's a rough idea of an E30 325is value? For example I see a beautiful 1990 325is coupe with 5 speed, 2 owners and all the maintenance records, recent timing belt, and 105k miles asking $6000. This seems a bit excessive, KBB private party is ~$2300 excellent and Edmunds true market value is ~$1900. Are E30s kind of like MR2 turbos where the actual value is much higher than book value?

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 10, 2009

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Vertigo - come back to irc. Ps - BMWs are cool.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

What's a rough idea of an E30 325is value? For example I see a beautiful 1990 325is coupe with 5 speed, 2 owners and all the maintenance records, recent timing belt, and 105k miles asking $6000. This seems a bit excessive, KBB private party is ~$2300 excellent and Edmunds true market value is ~$1900. Are E30s kind of like MR2 turbos where the actual value is much higher than book value?

Buy it. E30s are getting to the point where KBB and Edmunds mean very little for a car in good shape and well maintained. The iS cars weren't very plentiful to begin with and they are the most sought after E30s. You might be able to talk them down to $5500 if you can find something (anything) wrong with it.

Taymar
Oct 11, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

What sort of things were available for the Individual poo poo? I thought it was custom interior colours and such. This thing is just grey seats with grey stitching. Though, the steering wheel is entirely suede or alcantara or whatever it is, I haven't seen that on any BMWs before.

I would try and find out if is an M-sport or if it's got the M-performance package (zhp).

A brief bit of reading online (no idea how accurate though) suggests that the alcantara wheel means it's a performance package car, which would be a nice bonus.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Brock Landers posted:

Buy it. E30s are getting to the point where KBB and Edmunds mean very little for a car in good shape and well maintained. The iS cars weren't very plentiful to begin with and they are the most sought after E30s. You might be able to talk them down to $5500 if you can find something (anything) wrong with it.

This is terrible advice do not loving buy an E30 for anything above 3k. Are you nuts? Stop it. Stop it.

If I'm going to actually blow 6k on an E30 the body better be absolutely pristine and there better be a fully completed, clean S52 swap inside of it.

Moxie Omen fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 10, 2009

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Jorsh posted:

This is terrible advice do not loving buy an E30 for anything above 3k. Are you nuts? Stop it. Stop it.

If I'm going to actually blow 6k on an E30 the body better be absolutely pristine and there better be a fully completed, clean S52 swap inside of it.

Do you live in Southern California or something? Because outside of there, 2-owner 105k 325iS BMWs with a complete maintenance history command quite a premium. Three were sold from under my nose in the 6 or so months I was looking. All of them went for between 4-5k and NONE of them had less than 150k miles, nor did all of them have a complete history.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Jorsh posted:

Yeah, even $5500 is too much. My budget for a daily driver is around $3500. This is the car, it does look immaculate: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1027999507.html

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah, even $5500 is too much. My budget for a daily driver is around $3500. This is the car, it does look immaculate: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1027999507.html

I was looking at craigslist in various cities, trying to find any later model (1989-90) 325iS cars to see what they were going for. I came across that car and wondered if it was the one you were talking about. I still say check it out, and if it's as good as they say, buy it. iS cars, especially late models where they upgraded the bumpers and taillights, are VERY hard to find unmolested. That looks like the perfect example of one. If it's out of your price range, then that is fine. Look for an older, non iS car with higher mileage. Those can be had all day long for $2-3k.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Brock Landers posted:

I was looking at craigslist in various cities, trying to find any later model (1989-90) 325iS cars to see what they were going for. I came across that car and wondered if it was the one you were talking about. I still say check it out, and if it's as good as they say, buy it. iS cars, especially late models where they upgraded the bumpers and taillights, are VERY hard to find unmolested. That looks like the perfect example of one. If it's out of your price range, then that is fine. Look for an older, non iS car with higher mileage. Those can be had all day long for $2-3k.

The seller said in an email they're 'a little flexible' with price but I would probably be laughed at for offering $3500. I'll keep my eyes open for a nice i model though.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Well, there's always a sucker I guess.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sterndotstern posted:

(the non-LSD E46s are HILARIOUSLY drifty with one-wheel drive)

Haha, I got reminded of this just last night. Completely dry roads last night and I was making a quick U-turn (for those who know Cleveland-area roads, I forgot 271 south doesn't connect with 71 north). Came to this turn to get back on 71 and as I was approaching it the light turned yellow, so I gunned it and came in to the corner at about 60 MPH. I got a lot more slide than I was expecting and ended up going from the inside lane well in to the outside lane and beyond.

Might also be because I'm running some Blizzaks that are done after this season though. Tax return is buying me some new summer rubber which should perform notably better.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Jorsh posted:

Well, there's always a sucker I guess.

Since you know the market for these cars so well, how about finding a similar car for the $3000 you're thinking it should cost? I took a quick look on ebay and craigslist (for various major cities) and that was the only unmolested, low mileage, documented car I could find for close to that price. I also checked the BMWCCA classifieds. There was ONE and it had 220k miles on it, plus it had been modified. And he still wanted $6500 for it. The iS cars are rare. The regular 'i' cars can be had for the money you're talking about, I agree.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Brock Landers posted:

Since you know the market for these cars so well, how about finding a similar car for the $3000 you're thinking it should cost? I took a quick look on ebay and craigslist (for various major cities) and that was the only unmolested, low mileage, documented car I could find for close to that price. I also checked the BMWCCA classifieds. There was ONE and it had 220k miles on it, plus it had been modified. And he still wanted $6500 for it. The iS cars are rare. The regular 'i' cars can be had for the money you're talking about, I agree.

Dude I'm not going to try to argue with you about this. Whatever bad financial decisions you want to make are your business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Bronzit = barf

No chance that car is worth such a premium. It's been up for sale on and off for months on end.