Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

What did you do on Saturday?

Well, I got married!

Me and my perfect pink poofball!

Highlights include;

CAKE!!!

Magician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I love that first picture. You both look so adorable and goofy and happy :3: Congratulations!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Oodles posted:

I sat around and played Fable 2 while my fiance was in Texas visiting family.

quote:

Well, I got married!
Congrats! I think you win this round!

Also, I want a magician at my wedding now.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

MarshallX posted:

We have rings!

Mine:

Titanium, matte look (Looks pretty grainy here but it's very very nice when seen in person.

Did you really spend that much on a titanium band? Retail store? or is that white gold inlay?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

Did you really spend that much on a titanium band? Retail store? or is that white gold inlay?

Not a retail store (Like a store in a mall)...and yes white gold Inlay.

Is 155.00 CAD too much?

MarshallX fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 3, 2009

Jeffrey Lebowski
Feb 3, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
The other day my girlfriend and I decided to get married, and coincidentally I open A/T and see this thread. Perfect!

We have decided to forget about a regular style wedding, and just get married by a Justice of the Peace. We haven't been dating long, despite knowing each other for 4+ years, and we don't think either of our parents will be too crazy about it. She has a 1.5 year old baby girl, and I don't think my family is going to approve, even though it's not their place. And neither of us really want a wedding, we just love each other and want to get married :)

Now on to some questions!

I have been looking at rings on BlueNile.com, and there are some that I really like, have a lot of people in this thread had a lot of success with them?

As I mentioned before, my fiance has a child with her ex-boyfriend, and this might cause some problems when we go to move. We are staying within the state, probably only about 2 hours away, how will the court see this and would it be possible to change the visitation schedule? We know that he is probably going to flip out and try to make everything as difficult as possible, but can he prevent her from moving if he says something like different visitation hours would conflict with his schedule? Should we get advice from a lawyer?

We are both currently students. I work part-time, and so does she. I'm covered under my father's health insurance, and I'm thinking if I got married I would probably not be eligible to be covered since I'm no longer a dependent (I'm in Massachusetts). Can I purchase COBRA through my father's health care provider, or will I have to seek out a separate plan with a separate company? My college offers insurance for students, but I've already waived it at the beginning of the year, and I'm not sure if I can get it now. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Jeffrey Lebowski posted:

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

You're both in college, working part-time; you don't expect support from your families; you will lose your health insurance (and, BTW, your financial aid status will change); you expect trouble from her child's father; you haven't been dating long...

You said any advice, so: rethink this. Getting married is probably not in your best interest. Maybe you could do a long, long engagement instead and get married once you're both full time employed. I understand if you love each other and want to get married, but it seems to me that you'd do better to continue as you are and not forfeit the benefits of dependency on your parents too early.

You might need to look into how her child support might change if you get married, too.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Seconding that recommendation. You don't have to be married to know you want to be together for the rest of your lives, and even though you may have known her for that long, you haven't dated her for that long and you still might be in the honeymoon period. There is no reason not to wait here, unless you absolutely mustmustmust have your names down on that piece of paper - and why? Why not just buy her a ring and promise to marry her after things have calmed down and you're out of college and actually working? Be patient.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
Thirding that. Do not put your health insurance, financial aid and her custody rights with her child at risk just to get married. Marriage will still be there when you're in a better, more stable position.

Edit: poo poo, I'm sorry! Oodles, congratulations! Those photos are fantastic, and the two of you look absolutely adorable.

LittleCat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 4, 2009

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Oodles posted:

Well, I got married!

Me and my perfect pink poofball!
Cute dress and cake! Is that bouquet a poofball too? :O

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
If any of you ladies are looking for a birdcage veil, there was a tutorial for one posted on CRAFT today and it looks pretty simple and cute as well!
http://www.bridalguide.com/community/blogs/bride-to-bride/tutorial-bird-cage-veil/

Ring of Light
Sep 3, 2006

I will nth everything everyone else is saying. My fiance and I are coming up in the next week on the first anniversary of our engagement. We haven't even set a date yet because our lives and finances are so unstable and we don't know how long it will take us to find steady employment after graduation next December. My dream wedding date (October 3, 2009) which falls on our five year anniversary will probably pass us by. After looking into health coverage it would cost us two hundred a month for both of us. My dad's policy will cover me for six months after I graduate. Getting married when I want to will cost us $1600 in health insurance alone. At a time when I am going to be having to come up with moving and graduation expenses it is just not a smart idea.

I understand the feeling of being in a rush to get married. I wanted to marry him years ago, but now I am glad that I waited. We have fought many fights that while not fun have made our relationship stronger. We combined our finances and got on the same page about how we wanted to spend our money. To be completely honest this took a lot of time, change, and some resentment on both of our parts to iron out. I am glad now that this happened without the pressure of marriage on top of it, and we were young enough that our financial mistakes wouldn't be big enough to haunt us for a long time. Don't worry about having a long engagement or that other people won't take your love and commitment to her seriously. Marriage nowadays is sadly about love and finances so get engaged now and get married when it is the best time for your family.

You also both need to be thinking about what is best for her daughter. If her dad is in the picture right now do you really want to be the reason that he is no longer a big part of her life anymore. Something like that will affect her for along time, so both of you need to think long and hard about why/if you need to move and take her away and if it is for your own selfish reasons. She may not realize it now but someday she will and you don't want to be the step-dad that she resents. She will be much better off if she has three parents in her life that she gets to see regularly and that love her.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

jomiel posted:

Cute dress and cake! Is that bouquet a poofball too? :O

She made her own bouquets, but I haven't got a photo of hers. But here is the bridemaids;

Bridesmaid

Long'n'Low

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

MarshallX posted:

Not a retail store (Like a store in a mall)...and yes white gold Inlay.

Is 155.00 CAD too much?

For silver yes.. But for a white gold inlay, not bad at all. Nice looking ring too!

5 More months to the big day for me.. Anyone else get a lot of "Wedding" dreams? I have had my third one this week, each one getting more and more strange.. At least they have been happy dreams (And at least they have all been about my fiancée heh).

FidgetyRat fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 4, 2009

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

MockTurtle posted:

If any of you ladies are looking for a birdcage veil, there was a tutorial for one posted on CRAFT today and it looks pretty simple and cute as well!
http://www.bridalguide.com/community/blogs/bride-to-bride/tutorial-bird-cage-veil/

Oh my god thank you for posting this. I wanted a veil like this ever since I was a kid! Long veils look silly when you have short hair, but those are so fantastic and classy to me. Thanks!

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

For silver yes.. But for a white gold inlay, not bad at all. Nice looking ring too!

5 More months to the big day for me.. Anyone else get a lot of "Wedding" dreams? I have had my third one this week, each one getting more and more strange.. At least they have been happy dreams (And at least they have all been about my fiancée heh).

I had a panicked dream that there was no-one to serve alcohol at ours.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

CalamityKate posted:

I had a panicked dream that there was no-one to serve alcohol at ours.

I would step in for you! Although I was at a wedding last summer where they forgot the taps for the kegs so don't forget your taps, kids.

I kept track of how many wedding dreams I had - I think I was up to 12 or 15 by the time came.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
I've had 2 or 3 so far. The officiant won't marry us, or we don't know what to do for the procession and the whole thing falls apart... It's specifically trying to gently caress with my mindset that "whatever goes wrong, we'll be married," since that's what I've been keeping myself calm with.

Kumon
Jan 29, 2009
Ok, I am really trying to figure this out, but how do I see what kind of cut I am getting on pricescope.com? Bluenile.com is just a slider bar over to ideal-sig, where there is no indication on what the cut is on pricescope.com.

After skimming this thread, cut is most important, and now I want an ideal cut within my price range.

Could someone break down ranking on what is most important ie:

1. Cut
2 ?
3 ?
4 etc.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Kumon posted:

1. Cut
2 ?
3 ?
4 etc.

Personally I think;

Cut
Clarity
Color
Carat

Ie: You want a well cut diamond, relatively free of inclusions, with a decent color, and size should be the last thing that matters. However a lot of people would put carat before clarity and get something big with big chunks of carbon in it D:

Edit: For pricescope, you have to do a little learning and know that Depth and Table are referring to the cut. I don't know what the ideal numbers for those are.

Edit 2: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/cut.asp

Farewell Horizon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 4, 2009

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

Kumon posted:

Ok, I am really trying to figure this out, but how do I see what kind of cut I am getting on pricescope.com? Bluenile.com is just a slider bar over to ideal-sig, where there is no indication on what the cut is on pricescope.com.

After skimming this thread, cut is most important, and now I want an ideal cut within my price range.

1. Cut
2 ?
3 ?
4 etc.

If you aren't sure, then start a thread on the forum that says:

"Hi, I am looking for a diamond for my girl's engagement ring. She likes X shaped stones, and Y type rings (white gold/yellow gold/3 stone/solitaire/whatever). My budget is Z. HALP!"

... and you will get a bunch of replies from kindly consumers who are diamond-obsessed and would love to have an excuse to strafe through a ton of diamonds looking for a good match.

I agree with the rankings above. Cut first and formost, then clarity, colour, and carat.

A good cut will hide a myriad of clarity/colour sins. A good cut will visibly whiten a lower colour, and provided that you don't have a giant visible inclusion, you can go lower on clarity a well. All you really need is eyeclean. Who cares if you can spot a feather with giant magnification, provided it's not a structural danger?

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Do any of these considerations- cut, color, clarity- apply to moissanite? I ask for a, uh, a friend.

Seriously, my boyfriend already knows I would probably like a moissanite (not that it's necessary) are there any tips to getting a good one, or are they all the same?

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

dopaMEAN posted:

Do any of these considerations- cut, color, clarity- apply to moissanite? I ask for a, uh, a friend.

Seriously, my boyfriend already knows I would probably like a moissanite (not that it's necessary) are there any tips to getting a good one, or are they all the same?

I have no idea. Maybe google for some moissanite forums? I know Bella's is a popular moissanite vendor but I don't know much beyond that.

Scraping my brain about what I've read about it on betterthandiamond (CZ/man-made stone forum backed by a fancypants CZ vendor -- we briefly considered getting a nice setting with a CZ that we could replace with a stone later, but ended up getting a vintage set off ebay).

I know that the biggest issue with moissanite is a green/yellow/gray colour that can make it really obvious it's not a diamond, and in a bad way. I've heard from moissanite fans that they really like the double-refraction of a moissanite and seem to value it on its own merit instead of as a diamond substitute. Clarity isn't a problem usually, as it's man-made (the original material was found in a meteorite and they replicated it, how geekily awesome is that?! :3:) but colour is a big issue. Moissanites also react to light differently than diamond.

My advice to you is get a moissanite if you've seen the stone in person and love it's characteristics, but if you want it as a stand-in for a diamond I urge you to do a lot of research. Like any coloured stone, you may have to search for a long time to find the right one for you.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

RedFish posted:

My advice to you is get a moissanite if you've seen the stone in person and love it's characteristics, but if you want it as a stand-in for a diamond I urge you to do a lot of research. Like any coloured stone, you may have to search for a long time to find the right one for you.

I'm mostly interested in it because it's supposed to have more fire and because of its awesome past. If I didn't get a moissanite, I'd probably want an aquamarine or a sapphire. I'm not a diamond fan at all.

I'll keep that in mind about the color, I wonder if there's any way to return stones bought online if they're off?

Edit for grammar

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 5, 2009

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

dopaMEAN posted:

I'm mostly interested in it because it's supposed to have more fire and because of it's awesome past. If I didn't get a moissanite, I'd probably want an aquamarine or a sapphire. I'm not a diamond fan at all.

I'll keep that in mind about the color, I wonder if there's any way to return stones bought online if they're off?

Try http://www.moissaniteco.com. They do have a good return policy.

Also, the green/yellow tinge was worse a year or more ago. They have dramatically improved over the past year. And I recently bought some new moissanite jewelry for my wife, and the .75 carat stone I got was as white as I could have hoped for. I tried to see a yellow/green tinge in different light conditions, but couldn't. If you stay within 1.5 carats or less, you should get something very white.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
As long as the moissanite is cut well it should look great. I haven't seen much difference between different moissanite pieces other than the color in the early stuff vs. the newer pieces.

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007
My fiance surprised me with my ring, and it has a real diamond, which I don't want at all. I want to keep the ring itself for sentimental reasons, but would like to swap the stone out for a moissanite or CZ. How does one go about selling a diamond?

And an update: I got the J Crew dress last night and it is GORGEOUS! I am so happy with it.

l_th
Aug 9, 2005
**UPDATE**

Used the ring in my previous post and these to propose last Sunday

She said yes :D

Now we've been debating dates

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

l_th posted:

**UPDATE**

Used the ring in my previous post and these to propose last Sunday

She said yes :D

Now we've been debating dates

We're actually using these as our favours in a small (really small) glass jar. They say our names on one and our wedding date on the other. I just filled 40 of those little bastards yesterday.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Yoga posted:

My fiance surprised me with my ring, and it has a real diamond, which I don't want at all. I want to keep the ring itself for sentimental reasons, but would like to swap the stone out for a moissanite or CZ. How does one go about selling a diamond?

And an update: I got the J Crew dress last night and it is GORGEOUS! I am so happy with it.

Any jeweler will work a deal with you, but honestly you'll be losing money if you sell it. I can only assume that he bought it at retail price.

Take the ring back to where it came, and explain that you want something synthetic. Most jewelers give no questions asked returns for a limited time.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Hey guys/gals. I am getting married in September, so I decided to join the thread :) My fiancee and I had an hour shoot with our wedding photographer the other week, and I think they came out pretty good :) I'm glad, they're costing an arm and a leg.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

CelestialScribe posted:

dawwwwwwwww :3:

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

Hey guys/gals. I am getting married in September, so I decided to join the thread :) My fiancee and I had an hour shoot with our wedding photographer the other week, and I think they came out pretty good :) I'm glad, they're costing an arm and a leg.

Make sure you don't post that in or around GBS.. You're face is a prime candidate for a Gary Busey Photoshopping...

Adri
Jan 2, 2007
I got taco all over my pants!
My fiance and I decided to completely overhaul our wedding, meaning, no more fairy tail princess bullshit. Immediate family and close friends are only coming, no formal reception, no wedding party, nothing of that nature. Brings the cost down to about 2k from the original 10k we had budgeted. I don't have a photographer but I only need one for about 2 hours to capture the ceremony and formal shots with our families after that. We're having an early afternoon ceremony with a luncheon at a local seafood place to follow, and a big night on the town with our friends. I'm still going to do the white dress but a very un-traditional style.

My mom has a timeshare week she offered us for the honeymoon, so we would have to pay a transfer fee and for travel, and if we can book all-inclusive leaves that cost to under 1k depending on where we go. I'm glad didn't place deposits down on anything before we decided to do this. We bumped the date up to, we're getting married in December jeesus christ.

triskadekaphilia
Oct 29, 2004

Adri posted:

My fiance and I decided to completely overhaul our wedding, meaning, no more fairy tail princess bullshit. Immediate family and close friends are only coming, no formal reception, no wedding party, nothing of that nature. Brings the cost down to about 2k from the original 10k we had budgeted. I don't have a photographer but I only need one for about 2 hours to capture the ceremony and formal shots with our families after that. We're having an early afternoon ceremony with a luncheon at a local seafood place to follow, and a big night on the town with our friends. I'm still going to do the white dress but a very un-traditional style.

My mom has a timeshare week she offered us for the honeymoon, so we would have to pay a transfer fee and for travel, and if we can book all-inclusive leaves that cost to under 1k depending on where we go. I'm glad didn't place deposits down on anything before we decided to do this. We bumped the date up to, we're getting married in December jeesus christ.

This is very similar to the route we're going. We had begun to plan a huge wedding, and the stress and cost was just way too high. We're neither traditional nor religious, so it's no big loss.

Very small ceremony with immediate family only, followed by dinner at an expensivey restaurant, and then we're going to spend a weekend in a cabin in the mountains with some of our close friends.

Also, my dad is giving us 10k to do with as we wish wedding/savings wise. I'd rather spend 2k on our wedding and put 8k away than the other way around.

Lady googooGaGa
Nov 3, 2006

Are you freaking kidding me!?
I went to the store today and just did a registry. My MOH was really helpful and went through with me. We just found some small appliances, replacement pans for the kitchen, some towels, stuff like that. So all in all it wasn't the 'bully people into buying things we don't need' like I thought. I think MOH helped a lot. Plus she made the point that him and I can go back ourselves and get whatever we didn't get from the list, and this will keep us from buying Random poo poo whenever we are out.

I accidentally found out when the shower is, because someone was a big mouth. I'm even looking forward to it, although there are rumors of a game involving underwear.

Two months to go and all this hullabaloo is finished! Then 3 more before baby time. Busy year in the Mantis household.

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008

CrackSpider posted:

I know this is like the third or fourth time on this page alone, but drat is that beautiful.

That's both rings together, huh? What do they look like separate?

Sorry it took me a while to respond to this. Here is just the engagement ring on my finger. The picture isn't as nice since its not the official fancy jeweler's picture, but you get the idea:

And here is the wedding band alone:

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Finally got around to picking out my wedding band.. Was massively delayed by being too lazy to go have my finger resized.

I was originally going to get the pure tungsten band (Hell, can't complain about $50) but last minute went with the gold inlay.. For some reason the "silver" band didn't feel enough like a wedding ring.. Odd..

Ordered from TitaniumKay for $155.. Will post how long it takes and how satisfied I am with their service in a few days.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
It has begun... even though we've told ourselves we're not going to do any planning until after we move (we haven't set a date yet other than aiming for fall of 2010), she's started to go a little wedding planning crazy. I knew it was inevitable, but I don't think I was prepared for it to hit so soon.

We have a lot of somewhat incomplete ideas floating around, but above all, we want the event to be fun for us and hopefully all involved. One of the things I'd like is to have a couple of projectors and some multiplayer games available that anybody could join in. I was thinking maybe Rock Band on one and Wii Sports on the other (if my grandfather can play Wii bowling, anybody can).

Also, we want to walk up the aisle together to the Hyrule theme, because we're dorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007
Well we gave up on wedding planning. My future mother in law was absolutely shocked (though she tried hiding it) at the prospect of not having extended family at the wedding, and my fiance became much less comfortable with it as the news spread and feelings got hurt. His family is huge and close knit. If we invited all of them it would be literally 90/10 his family/mine. Not to mention that we would need to double the budget and some of our friends STILL couldn't come. I think it is telling that two of his cousins who are also engaged both decided to go to Vegas.

So we're having a courthouse wedding with a few friends. Afterward we are taking about a dozen of our friends out to a nice restaurant. A few weeks later we're going to a botanical garden and having portraits done. It isn't a perfect solution, but it is really the most workable one.