Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

Come with me to the dark side...

On that note, y'all remember the Algal Fuzz and 1134 Fuzz I'm reviewing?

I kind of bought them because I couldn't bear the thought of not having them after getting to play them.

34!

hahahahah you got hustled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

the wizards beard posted:

hahahahah you got hustled

How so, TWB?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The evil pedal pushers are just mailing the poo poo to you now, knowing you'll buy it. They were never going to publish any reviews. I'm sorry.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Hey, so I'm looking at a long term pedal design project, and I was wondering if there was anything like what I was thinking already out there.

Basically, what I am thinking of is a digital delay pedal, where the feedback loop is externalized (via an FX SEND and FX RETURN jack) and then mixed with the "clean" feedback signal at the return. The idea is to be able to plug in an EQ pedal, Fuzz, or something else so that you get really cool and unique decays.

It seems like a fairly straightforward idea, but a cursory google search over lunch didn't turn up anything similar. Does anyone know of anything like this?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Rob Keeley does this. http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=245&CategoryID=

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The evil pedal pushers are just mailing the poo poo to you now, knowing you'll buy it. They were never going to publish any reviews. I'm sorry.

Hah, I'm not reviewing gear for them to publish on their sites, I contribute to a magazine. And as far as buying stuff goes, reviewers tend to get pretty deep discounts (not always, but usually) if they want to keep the goods. Industry perk.

That said, it is a horrible horrible thing and will likely only make my gear collection all the more cluttered. Hooray! :love:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Rob Keeley does this. http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=245&CategoryID=

Speaking of pedals like that.. WHY doesn't the MXR Carbon Copy have a dry/direct output?? Huge failure in that pedal's design. It wouldn't have been THAT hard for them to add that.

Maybe in the 2.0 version of it.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Catastrophe posted:

Speaking of pedals like that.. WHY doesn't the MXR Carbon Copy have a dry/direct output?? Huge failure in that pedal's design. It wouldn't have been THAT hard for them to add that.

Maybe in the 2.0 version of it.

I'm guessing because it has an off switch.

You know, just... uh, throwing that out there.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ZombiePeanut posted:

I'm guessing because it has an off switch.

You know, just... uh, throwing that out there.

Can't really have the processed and unprocessed signal coming out of it at the same time with a switch can you.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Cool, thanks for the link. I have a DD-5 sitting around, so maybe I'll hack at it if I am feeling brave.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Stux posted:

Can't really have the processed and unprocessed signal coming out of it at the same time with a switch can you.

I have fast feet.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

everyone posted:

DD-5 :words:

You can do anything you want with the signal, and I'm sure the carbon copy can be modded so that you have a wet out only. A standard mod to digi delays is to put a capacitor across the feedback pot. Since the feedback pot literally controls hysteresis in the circuit (amount of signal sent back to to be processed again) the addition of a capacitor acts as a low pass filter making the repeats sound more and more "low fi" with every repeat. This isn't true analog, but it emulates the analog sound people like. If you want the wet out only, there is usually a processed signal only out of the delay chip. Just grab that, make a small buffer to prevent tone suck and keep impedances good and stick a jack on the side of your box. Pretty easy mod if you know how to make a unity gain buffer.

Edit: They make more than 3pdt switches, like I said, you can do whatever you want with the signal.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Agreed posted:

Hah, I'm not reviewing gear for them to publish on their sites, I contribute to a magazine.

I love that you of all people contribute to a magazine called Frugal Guitarist.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

My good man, I beg your pardon, I only invest in gear frugally! :mad:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

My good man, I beg your pardon, I only invest in gear frugally! :mad:
I'm jealous that you're able to call buying gear an investment :smith:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

scuz posted:

I'm jealous that you're able to call buying gear an investment :smith:

You probably shouldn't be, when was the last time you saw me sell something? Isn't part of investing the whole make-money-on-it-later bit?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

You probably shouldn't be, when was the last time you saw me sell something? Isn't part of investing the whole make-money-on-it-later bit?
I thought you were talking about using your investments to make money by playing music.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006

Agreed posted:

The way I see it, you are doing us a favor. By keeping all your gear, that means if a great flood ever comes you can cut it all up and we can build an arc for all of ML. Thanks Agreed, you're a good man.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

scuz posted:

I thought you were talking about using your investments to make money by playing music.

Oh, that makes more sense. Although John friggin' Petrucci doesn't need 30+ pedals and several guitars to make money. He and I have one thing in common, we're both gear nuts. Of course for him that means a rack setup that can control the rotation speed of the Sun and a pedalboard stocked fuller than mine with some of the most expensive pedals around, and for me it's just a lot of neat odds and ends that I stumble on to.

Nosir posted:

The way I see it, you are doing us a favor. By keeping all your gear, that means if a great flood ever comes you can cut it all up and we can build an arc for all of ML. Thanks Agreed, you're a good man.

Glad to serve.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

Oh, that makes more sense. Although John friggin' Petrucci doesn't need 30+ pedals and several guitars to make money. He and I have one thing in common, we're both gear nuts. Of course for him that means a rack setup that can control the rotation speed of the Sun and a pedalboard stocked fuller than mine with some of the most expensive pedals around, and for me it's just a lot of neat odds and ends that I stumble on to.

His herd of ocd fanboys mean he doesn't have to pay for gear.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
ffffff

Don Grosh Electrajet Standard. My first Grosh. Oh God it's so good

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

ffffff

Don Grosh Electrajet Standard. My first Grosh. Oh God it's so good

Now that is a cutie, how does it play? I'm in love with the idea of single coils lately, I've picked up a few guitars with SCs and man if it wasn't for the hum I would play them all the time.

My computer gives off enough EMI to kill a bull moose, so I'm in humbucker/Lace land for the time being as far as recording goes, but I love going into my amp room and just plugging in and playing since it's a lot more electrically friendly. Single coils kick rear end.

How does it play?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I think some of my tax refund is going towards this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8kdWpB3U4

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Agreed posted:

Now that is a cutie, how does it play? I'm in love with the idea of single coils lately, I've picked up a few guitars with SCs and man if it wasn't for the hum I would play them all the time.

You gotta try the Bill Lawrence Samarium Cobalts they put in USA Strat Deluxes. They're loving awesome. I don't know if you're a Fender guy or Gibson or Ibanez or whatever but they sound amazing in my Strat. And noiseless!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Not just a Fender guy but a Bill Lawrence fan as well. I've played a strat with SCNs in it, and I think I'll be putting a set of them in my Japanese strat when my check comes in later this month. Although I do really like the Lace in my MIMs. I've got a Lace Gold and a SD Duckbucker (SC-alike with a dummy coil for hum cancellation) that I could put in the strat, but I never loved them when I had them installed in my Mexican strat so I figure I'll save them for another project somewhere along. The Lace Gold is a good pickup, really, but I think the SCN has more twang to it. That was what lacks in the Gold, it has a really laid back kind of sound. Very clear, very mellow, supposedly pretty close to how the original strat pups sounded, but the charge of "lifelessness" is often levied against them and I can see why. Put it nice and close to the strings and it's got a lot more bark to it, but never really any bite even when you dig in. I don't think even Clapton's using them anymore. The Duckbucker was a neck pickup that I didn't realize was a neck pickup until I had already installed it in the bridge, so I hardly can call that giving it a fair shake. I'd like to give it a second chance.

Edit: The new Tech21 pedals are freakin' sweet, no doubt about it. They're getting analog modeling down to a science.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 5, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

Edit: The new Tech21 pedals are freakin' sweet, no doubt about it. They're getting analog modeling down to a science.

No joke. Most of the Ampeg gurus I've talked to said it's pretty much the closest you can get to an SVT w/o actually playing through one.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Scarf posted:

No joke. Most of the Ampeg gurus I've talked to said it's pretty much the closest you can get to an SVT w/o actually playing through one.

In the analog domain, that might well be correct, but let us not forget the "other" modeling...

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Agreed posted:

.... I don't think even Clapton's using them anymore...

Clapton uses Vintage Noiseless and a 25dB boost for solos.

My Strat has Fender SCNs, TBX tone control and the Clapton boost and it's a really good combo.

After seeing Jeff Beck live last week I'm spending some time trying to bond with my Strat. I'm really used to the thick sound of my Les Paul so a quick twist of the mid boost knob adds some nice meat to the sound.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Agreed posted:

Now that is a cutie, how does it play?
Unbelievably good. Here's a shot of the action. I can't even begin to figure out how they got the action this low without insane buzzing.

Comparing this to my AVRI 57: The Fender has a lot more of a sparkly, chimey high end, and the Grosh has more midrange punch and sustain. This is likely due to a number of factors, such as the Fender using ash, a maple fretboard, and a floating trem versus the Grosh using alder, a rosewood fretboard, and a flat trem. The Grosh has a 12" radius fretboard, compared to the AVRI's 7.25", so they have a totally different feel to them. I'm still getting used to fretting chords with the Grosh, but high register stuff is effortless.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
Speaking of SCN's. My 2001 American Deluxe Strat arrived yesterday, with the fender vintage noiseless of that era replaced with SCNs.

:flashfap:

Thoughts so far? Plays very nicely, the SCNs produce the nicest clean tones I have ever made, turn the tone knob up for heaps of twang or down for the warmest tones imaginable.

I have to really work to dial in a good distortion though. I'll get the hang of it I imagine, 'cos the tones are there, but just not where I'm used to finding them.

Impper
May 10, 2003

Holy poo poo. How is the action so low on that guitar? Hot drat.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Yeah but I'm not about to trade this:

for this:

on stage ;)

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I've been playing a lot of classical recently, so I've bought a music stand. Standard Manhasset stand, the kind I used back in school. Excited for this week!

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Thanks to the guys who suggested the glitchy plugins, I'll have to check them out sometime.

Oh, and I made another purchase recently. No pics because it was the Non-Commercial license for Reaper. I'd used it to make my most recent album and I think it's a great program.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Markbass NY121 finally shows up

Going to pair that with the 121P combo that's in the same size box, should be just about the best <60lb rig out there.

Ugh, that, plus the 6505+ 112 coming out, is going to make for an awesome / rough spring.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Uintathere posted:

Thanks to the guys who suggested the glitchy plugins, I'll have to check them out sometime.

Oh, and I made another purchase recently. No pics because it was the Non-Commercial license for Reaper. I'd used it to make my most recent album and I think it's a great program.
reaper is awesome. i'll get that license for myself soon...

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Since there's a few people in here with SCNs... Can anyone tell me if SCNs come with "Noiseless" printed on them in gold italic font? I thought that was only on the old vintage noiseless not the SCNs?

In which case this guy who sold me this strat was wrong.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Vanmani posted:

Since there's a few people in here with SCNs... Can anyone tell me if SCNs come with "Noiseless" printed on them in gold italic font? I thought that was only on the old vintage noiseless not the SCNs?

In which case this guy who sold me this strat was wrong.

Mine have SCN slightly embossed in one corner but not coloured. I can't even find it sometimes when I'm looking for it. So for all intents and purposes, they should look plain white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

qball posted:

Mine have SCN slightly embossed in one corner but not coloured. I can't even find it sometimes when I'm looking for it. So for all intents and purposes, they should look plain white.

I'm pretty darn sure he's sent me the original fender vintage noiseless, not SCNs. On the bright side they still sound pretty good, on the downside not as advertised. I guess I'll have to contact him and try to sort it out. Cheers.

Edit: On closer inspection, they are SCNs, but he's just used his vintage noiseless covers because he had an aged pickguard and the SCN covers didn't match. Case closed.

Vanmani fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 7, 2009